Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Redemption of Fear - Part 2

by Kate
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Redemption of Fear - Part Two

Kate

Title: Redemption of Fear - Part Two
Author: Kate
Email: sorsha16@hotmail.com
Category: AU, Angst, Drama, Hurt/Comfort, Series
Pairing: Sam/Jack
Season: 5
This story is a sequel to: Redemption of Fear
Series: Redemption
Rating: PG-13
Content Warnings: language
Status: Completed
Summary: The second part of the story of Sam the civie, and Jack the General.
Jonas challenges the paternity of Sam's daughter.
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. We have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the authors. Not to be archived without permission of the authors.
Author's notes: I know it's been a really long time since I postwed the first part, and you should probably read that before you get too far into this one.
Thanx to Jen for the support on this!

She stretched her fingers and pulled a long breath. Sam settled one hand to the sink while the other sifted through the medicine cabinet. She had to stand on her toes to reach the top shelf. Jack had settled all medicine above the bathroom mirror. Having two children in the house makes people re-evaluate where they put things. Especially when one of those children is an inquisitive five year old. The other a thirteen year old troublemaker.

She winced in pain as she fumbled with the childproof cap on the aspirin. Damn medicine companies, how was it the only people who could actually open the stupid things were children?

"I'll get it." She smirked as she felt his hand close over hers and remove the bottle. Sam settled back against the sink and smiled to her husband.

"My savior." Sam murmured softly and opened her hand. He dropped out two aspirin into her palm and nodded with a grin.

"Water," he shuffled her into the kitchen, "don't dry swallow it."

Sam laughed gently and nodded. They settled into their kitchen, Jack sprawled at the kitchen table. His long legs stretched before him. Samantha got a glass of water and smiled to him over the drink.

His eyes were flicking over the room. His head settled against his hand. Jack took a long deep breath and she laughed again. Her giggle caught his attention and he turned a confused gaze on her.

"What?" he straightened a bit.

"You look so nervous, relax Jack. It's just the first day of school."

O'Neill smiled in return and shook his head. His eyes sparkled with humor and he stood. She leaned into him as they settled against the counter. Sam pulled a long drink and swallowed the pills. She settled the glass quickly to the counter to ensure she didn't drop it. She'd been doing that a lot more lately.

"I'm worried about her." He shook his head and took her right hand in his. "She's never had this before."

"Jack," she caught his glance and placed a quick kiss on his cheek. "She did fine in pre-school."

He nodded, his eyes off somewhere. He gently massaged her hand, his fingers slipping along the slopes of her fingers. She bit her lips as he hit a sore spot between her knuckles. She'd spoken to Janet a few months before about the degenerative condition of her hands. They ached badly when it was cold. Her fingers would tingle then become numb. She had problems working in her own lab. Countless beakers and tumblers had been broken at her expense. She hated...

"You think she's having fun?"

Sam looked up and he looked her in the eyes. His own brown orbs were wide in care. His hands had fallen to his sides. Sam stretched her fingers and shrugged.

"Honey," she stepped to the sink and began washing out her glass. "Maddie's a charmer, she's probably already made a few friends."

Jack smiled and nodded, wrapping an arm around her waist. She settled the glass into the porcelain sink to rinse it. Fewer glasses would break that way. He stepped up behind her, his hands settling on her waist. Jack kissed her neck and moved her hair from her shoulder. He settled his chin there and smiled.

"She's just like her mom." He squeezed her close to him.

Sam laughed and elbowed him in the chest. "Kiss up."

"Oh, I'm wounded Samantha." He laughed quickly and pulled back away as she settled the glass to the drainer.

"You'll get over it." She smirked playfully over her shoulder.

"I'm sure," he fingered the button on his cotton shirt, "I'm also sure Charlie's gotten in trouble already."

"Just like his father." She supplied quickly and he gave her a disparaging glance.

"I worry about 'em Samantha." He said softly.

"You're their dad Jack," she leaned into him and wrapped her arms around his waist, "you're allowed."

Sam tucked her coat tighter around her and shifted against him. Jack settled a hand on her waist and squeezed her hand. He looked softly to her and smiled. They waited patiently outside the local middle school. Countless other parents stood outside as well and Sam relaxed a bit. She returned his smile and licked her lips.

"Shouldn't they be done already?" her eyes flickered to her watch and she looked up when he laughed.

"And you were telling me to relax this morning."

"Shut up Jack." She smacked him gently and laughed in return.

They both looked out as students began pouring from the front doors Many made their way to the buses out front, still others headed for the sidewalk. Those remaining searched the front gate for their 'mommies' or 'daddies'.

"Charlie." Jack called gently as Charles O'Neill reached for his little sisters hand. Walking her down the steps. Jack smiled as the two children made their way to their parents.

"Mommy." Sam bent down as reached for her little girl as the small brunette stepped to them. Sam hugged her tight, a smile lighting her eyes. Jack greeted his son and ruffled his hair. His other hand settled on his daughter's back. Sam settled her on a hip and smiled.

"Hey honey, you have fun today?" Sam tucked a curl behind her daughter's ear with a gloved hand. Madaline nodded vigorously as Sam tugged the child's coat tighter around her. "We played games, and Mrs. Kennedy taught me stuff."

"Yeah?" Sam smiled wide and kissed her daughter's cheek. The little girl nodded quickly, curls bouncing.

"What about you Charlie?" Sam smiled to her stepson. The boy shrugged and pulled down his baseball cap over his head. His eyes rose and he smirked.

"I guess it was okay."

"You guess." Jack shoved him playfully and faked a few punches. Charlie laughed and returned in kind. They ended up laughing and faking punches al the way to the car.

"Hey Sam..."he tossed her a grin, "What do you say to Capriotti's"

Both kids lit up at the sound of the local pizza place. Samantha smirked and laughed as Maddie cuddled against her. Her soft brown curls tickling her cheek. Jack tossed both backpacks into the trunk and opened the back door. Charlie turned to his father.

"Yeah, can we get a big pizza this time?" the boys brown eyes lit bright and Sam smiled. She kissed her child's hair and rubbed her back.

"Only if you promise to share this time." O'Neill got his son in the car then lifted Maddie from his wife's arms and into the back seat.

"Nah," Charles called from the back, "It's all mine."

"My son," Jack kissed her quick, "he's gonna take over the world."

"He'll go farther than his father." She grinned widely.

"Very funny Samantha."

She wondered silently who was the child, her husband or the thirteen-year-old?

"Jack, how many times have I told to that your dinner roll does not substitute as a hand grenade?" she tried not to smile over the table. Her eyes held humor and he gracefully returned the poppy seed roll back to his plate. Motioning silently for his son to do the same.

"Mommy?" a soft voice caught her attention.

"Yes Madaline?" her eyes fell on her daughter and she smiled.

"What's your job?" wide brown eyes followed Sam's every move.

"My job?" Sam shook her head; "Do you mean what do I do?"

Madaline nodded quickly and slurped her milk. Sam held the glass as Maddie drank quickly through the straw.

"I study the stars," Samantha brushed curls from her face, "You like the stars right?"

Maddie smiled and nodded again. Her eyes drooped slightly and Samantha lifted her face. Her cheeks were bright in excitement but she could tell her child was tired.

"You sleepy honey?"

The girl shook her head 'no', but Sam knew otherwise. She nodded, "Okay."

"What'd you learn today?" Jack nodded and took a bite of his food. Sam handed over a napkin to their son and the boy wiped his mouth with a grin.

"I learned that Mr. Jordan doesn't like 'smart remarks'." The boys tried his best to look stuffy and teacher like.

"Don't harass your teachers Charlie." Jack shook his head. "I'll have to beat ya for it later."

They shared a smirk then a laugh and Charlie nodded. He went back to his pizza. Sam was cutting Madaline's pizza into small pieces when she looked up and nearly lost her breath.

She dropped the silverware to the plate and held a breath.

"Jack?" her voice sounded strained and O'Neill straightened quickly. His eyes followed her gaze to the door. Jack swallowed heavily as he caught a glance of Jonas Hanson.

They'd been informed six months ago about Hanson's release and had been wary of where they took their children. Neither of them needed the hassle. Jack straightened and turned back to his wife.

"Relax, don't look at him Samantha." He caught her gaze and arched a brow, "Just ignore him."

"I can't." she whispered and settled closer to her daughter. Fear plainly flashing in her blues.

"Dad?" Charlie looked quickly to his father.

"It's okay buddy, just keep eating." O'Neill smiled weakly to his son, "Sam, breath and just take care of Madaline."

Her eyes met his then flickered when she realized Jonas had seen them. "God, Jack?"

He shook his head and squeezed her hand reassuringly over the table. Jack brushed back his daughter's curls and smiled to her.

"Maddie honey, mommy's gonna take you out to the car okay?" he pulled out the child's chair and stood to lift her, "Charlie, go with Sam and Maddie okay?"

Charles nodded slowly, confusion in his gaze. He stood then dropped back to his seat when Jonas stepped directly behind him.

"Samantha," the man's eyes flickered, "I've missed you."

Jack watched her swallow heavy and glance away. Her hand gripped her daughter's and she pulled Madaline up into her arms.

"Oh come on Sam-"

"Jonas," Jack stood full height and stepped before him. The other man shrank back somewhat, his eyes falling from the General to the small child that Samantha was lifting into her arms.

"How old is she?" he asked softly. His eyes followed Sam as the woman glared at him.

"She's not yours." Sam snapped out an angry growl.

Hanson arched a brow and tried to take a step to them but Jacks hand gripped his shoulder tightly. O'Neill eyed him angrily and shook his head. An almost imperceptible shake that Jonas just barely caught. Hanson pulled his arm from the Air Force General's grasp.

"How old is she?" he asked again, heavier now.

Without answering Samantha glared at him then stepped from the table. Jack physically stopped him from following her.

"Charles, go with you mother."

Jack knew Charlie didn't address her as such, but at the moment, he knew it would drive the point home to Jonas. Charlie nodded and grabbed his coat, stepping from the table.

"Get your sister's coat please." Jack said to his son, who did as asked.

Jack watched his son follow his wife out the door. As soon as he was out of sight the officer turned back to the man before him.

"General-"

"Leave it Jonas." He growled, eyes dark and angry.

"I need to know General." Hanson cocked his head, as if challenging. "I've been informed it may be my child."

"Her name is Madaline, and she is my daughter." He left her name heavy on his lips. "Leave it alone."

"I deserve to know."

Jack glared angrily, "You deserve nothing."

He found her in the darkness. In their daughter's room. Sam sat softly on her little girl's bed. Her eyes falling over the small face. Searching for every sign that her angel would belong to Jack, and not Jonas.

She held stock in the brown eyes. Of course Jonas had hazel eyes. Somewhere along the lines brown could come along. She fingered the chocolate curls and wondered at it.

Jonas' hair had curls.

She choked back a whimper and shook her head. She had gotten to the point where she could almost forget that maybe her baby girl was actually Jonas'. Then reality would sink in and the statistics would eat at her. One night with Jack in the month she conceived. Or five times that with Jonas. Fate and statistics were stacked against her.

Jack watched her from the doorway. His own thoughts racing. He too had searched that girls face and voice for signs of himself. He'd only found the air of her mother about her, and other facts, which were ambiguous between him and Hanson. The cleft in her chin gave him hope, but the sweep of her cheekbones set him to wonder.

He watched his wife's back as she lay down beside her daughter, tucking her into her arms and hugging her lovingly. He closed his eyes and swallowed deeply. Jack bit back the pain and leaned heavy against the doorframe. He licked his lips and shook his head.

Sam could feel it as he stepped from the room. She knew as soon as he had left. And then she let herself cry.

"Mommy?" Madaline's tired murmur was accompanied with tired eyes.

"Shhh...go to sleep baby." Sam kissed her forehead and smiled weakly.

Breathing deeply, she held her daughter.

Her daughter.

Punching bags were beautiful things if you thought about it. You could have at it, and they would always come back for more. They never hit back, and there was no guilt in hitting an inanimate object. Jack wiped his brow and rubbed tired eyes. He steadied his stance and swung again. Landing a solid blow to the center of the bag. His eyes followed the swinging bag and he hit heavily twice more before shaking out his hand. The tape was loose on his knuckles, joints aching.

In freakish thought he wondered if that was how her hands hurt.

He knew she had problems with them. Jack despised the reason for the pain. Loathed himself for not helping her sooner. His anger ran so deep, so thick he couldn't discern where it ended. Or if it ended.

"Jack, calm down."

He glanced up quick at the sound of his friend's voice. The tone worried and a little edgy. Kawalsky stood leaning in the doorway of the gym. His arms crossed over his chest, eyes following O'Neill's punches. They seemed erratic and unaware.

"I am calm."

The red bag swung as he pounded heavy into the centre. He growled low in his throat and punched a few more times.

"Jack."

Without a thought he stepped back and landed a solid kick to the thick material. His eyes followed his own movements. Not daring to consider Kawalsky. He didn't want to admit his actions.

"What the hell am I supposed to do?" His growl was thick and even Charles shrank back a bit, brow arched.

"Take care of them Jack, "Kawalsky sat on a weight bench, "That's all any of them need."

He shook his head and stopped the bag, leaning into it. His breath was uneven and thick. Jack looked over at his friend and shrugged.

"She won't even talk to me Charlie, three days. All she says is 'yes' or 'no'." he growled and shoved away. O'Neill dropped to the benchpress. Elbows on his knees. "I can't even touch her."

"What about the kids?" Kawalsky shrugged and fingered his cargo pocket.

"Charlie's pissed because I won't tell him what's going on and Maddie..." he trailed off, dark eyes falling to the ground. "She feels like she's done something wrong."

Jack's gaze rose back up and he shook his head eyes pained. O'Neill rose and stalked across the room. His arms wrapped over his wide chest.

"I mean, what if Maddie is Jonas', you know?" his attention was no longer on his friend but on his thoughts. Kawalsky listened quietly.

"Am I supposed to just let her go...I can't do that. I'll never let that little girl near him. I wouldn't let her get hurt..."

"Everyone knows that Jack." Charles answered softly in support.

"She's everything to me Charlie." O'Neill stopped and settled his head against the cool cement of the wall. His back to his best friend. "Losing her would break me."

"You won't lose her."

"What if Madaline's not mine?" Jack turned on him, "I slept with Samantha once Kawalsky. How many times did Jonas force her into bed?"

He swallowed and shook his head. The other officer just stood there, unable to answer such a question. Jack snorted in discouragement and turned back to the punching bag. He centered his aim and wailed on it.

"Jack?"

"I am calm."

She hated her job on some days. Janet walked slowly to her friend's office, her shoulders dropped slightly. With a breath she tucked the paperwork to her chest and shoved the hair away from her face.

"Hey Sam, honey you in there?" she rapped gently on the lab door with her knuckles.

"Yeah, c'mon in." the weak reply was barely heard and Janet hated herself as she stepped into the room. She found Sam in front of her computer. Running through a few scans from the last MALP.

"Did you get the results on the SG4 virus?" Sam glanced up and looked to her friend, turning openly to her.

"Ummm..."Janet shut the door and leaned against the lab table. "Well yeah, but that's not why I'm here."

"What is it?" the doctor ran a tired hand along her forehead and down the bridge of her nose.

"These just came for me by courier." Jan slid over the papers to the blond and stepped close. Her eyes watched Samantha heavily. She flinched as pain washed over the scientist's face.

"No." it was a choked whisper. A tone Janet Kawalsky hated to hear.

"Samantha, I tried to fight this but..."she shook her head as a pair of flashing blue eyes rose to meet hers. Janet swallowed thickly, " these are court ordered."

"Don't do this." Sam took the papers in her hands and studied them, her gaze flickering to the doctor before her.

Her eyes fell over the words. She didn't recognize some of the terms but she got the general gist of it.

A court ordered DNA test. To determine the paternal identity of her daughter.

"I'm so sorry Sam."

It wasn't right.

"Janet, don't do this."

He found her quickly. Knowing she would be hiding in his own office. It was the one place she would venture to, the one place within the entire complex they felt secure enough. He found her slumped over his desk. Face settled in her hands, hair tumbling over her fingers.

"Samantha." He spoke softly. She didn't answer vocally but he knew she'd heard him. Her shoulders shuddered and her head shook.

"They can't do this jack." Her eyes rose, "Don't let them do this."

He studied her face in pain. Her usually bright eyes shined with glossy tears. Her face was paler than usual, dark rings stood out under her eyes. He shook his head and stepped to her quickly pulling her up and out of his chair. His hands held her face and he shook his head.

"They won't take her Samantha, you know that. Jonas doesn't have a chance in hell." his thumbs stroked her cheeks as she sobbed lightly.

"But -"

"Shhh..." he pulled her close, holding her tight. Sam leaned her face into his chest and let out a soft moan. Her arms wrapped tightly around his waist. He slid a hand up into her hair and settled her against him.

"She's not his Sam, she never has been. We both know it." He whispered into her hair.

Willing her to believe it.

Willing himself to believe it.

"Mommy, I don't like needles." A pair of brown eyes rose quickly, pleadingly. Madaline tugged in her mother's sleeve, begging her not to force the issue. Sam smiled weakly down to her daughter. She stroked the child's hair back off her forehead.

"I know honey, you have to be brave." She kissed the dark curls; "It'll only hurt for a second."

Sam shifted her daughter into her lap and hugged her close as Janet finished working out Madaline's paperwork.

"Her birthday is August 28th right?" Janet looked up and squeezed Maddie's arm in support.

"Yeah." Sam looked up slowly. Her eyes hurt and weak. "Anything else?"

"She allergic to anything?"

"Bee-stings and any aspirin derivatives." Sam fingered her child's curls, tucking them behind her ears.

"Family history of cancer, diabetes, or heart disease?"

Sam nodded, "Cancer on my side and diabetes on her father's -" she stopped when she realized what she'd said. Sam looked away, "Oh god."

Janet nodded quickly, "I can do this later."

Sam watched gently as the doctor set up the needle and the alcohol. She pulled up her child's sleeve and smiled down to the four-year-old.

"Mommy?"

"Just be brave honey, then we'll go see Daddy okay?" Sam took her daughter's hand and squeezed reassuringly.

"Okay sweetie, I'm just gonna put some stuff on your arm so it doesn't get infected first." Janet smiled and wiped down a spot on the inside of Maddie's arm with alcohol.

In silence Janet readied the needle and stroked Madaline's cheek. Sam settled her face against her daughter's hair and kissed her head as the doctor slid the needle into the vein. She studied her child's face, incredibly passive considering. Madaline flinched in pain and Sam caught a small whimper.

"I know Maddie, just a few more seconds." Janet and slid back the needle and finished taking the blood. She pulled it out and promptly settled the skin with a vibrant hot pink Band-Aid. With a smile Janet kissed the girl's forehead and squeezed her hand.

"You did very good Maddie." The brunette smiled and settled the blood sample down.

"Very good," Sam agreed, "You're a very brave little girl."

"Can we go see Daddy now?" the brown eyes pulled at Samantha and she couldn't help a weak smile.

"Yeah, we can go see your daddy now."

"Daddy!"

Jack looked up quickly at the well-known sing song call of his little girl.

His little girl...

She made her way into his office, dragging her mother by the hand behind her. Her dark curls bouncing as she stepped lightly. Sam caught his glance and smiled weakly. Jack yanked his sleeve down over the Band-Aid on the inside of his arm. He didn't think either of them needed the reminder.

"Hey baby doll." He slid back his chair and opened his arms. Madaline promptly let go of her mother and launched herself into her father's embrace. O'Neill hefted her onto his lap and shifted back to his desk. Maddie found a very amusing paperweight made of blown glass and began rolling it across his desktop.

"Careful Madaline." Sam settled in the chair opposite. Her head settled on her hand and she flashed him a look.

Jack slid back the paperwork off his desk and took the paperweight. He settled it on the corner of the desk and lifted his daughter to sit before him on the top. Her smile was infectious and he grinned in return.

"You bein' good for mommy?" he brushed back a stray curl.

"Yup." Maddie nodded vigorously and stuck out her arm. Jack caught sight of the neon pink Band-Aid and took her arm. He kissed it quick.

"All better." He smiled and looked up as she giggled.

"Mommy said I was very brave." She spoke proudly. Her eyes lit in happiness.

"Good girl." He nodded and smiled to his wife.

Maddie retrieved her glass toy and rolled it in her hands. She lifted it to study the swirls of color throughout the glass. She took a quick breath then looked to her parents.

"Where's Charlie?" her question was thoughtful. Jack retrieved his paperweight before it tumbled to the floor. Sam smirked and rubbed her daughter's arm.

"Charlie's with Uncle Charlie." She smiled and stood. Her hand going out to her child. Jack settled Maddie to the floor and she quickly grasped her mother's outstretched palm. Jack stood and followed them to the door.

"Hey," he reached for his wife, just catching her elbow. "Just a minute."

"Hmmm?" she looked up softly, eyes wondering.

Jack took a breath and crouched to his child, "give daddy a squeeze."

Maddie nodded and wrapped her father in a large bear hug. He laughed gently in return and stood, still hugging her tight. She giggled brightly and Jack settled her back to the floor. Sam watched silently, a smile lilting her lips.

"I'll see you tonight?" he questioned softly, honestly hoping they could talk.

Samantha studied him silently for a moment. Her daughter grasping her hand tightly. She smiled weakly and nodded, holding his gaze.

"We should talk." She murmured.

"I wanna talk," he nodded and stepped close. His cheek to hers. "I miss you." His lips pressed softly to her ear and then her lips. She nodded in agreement and rubbed her daughter's head.

"I miss you too."

She lay silently in the darkness. Comfortable in the warm bed. He hadn't made his way home yet. She knew he worked late on nights when more than six teams were off world. As it was, eight were on different planets. Sam rolled onto her back and brushed the hair back off her face. She slipped her hand across her throat and let it fall to the other side of the king-size bed. She wondered at it then. They had never really needed a bed that big. They usually ended up tight and warm together in slumber. She studied the empty pillow in the darkened shadow and took a deep heavy breath that sounded through the room.

"Hey."

She startled and looked quickly to the door. Fear snapping through her. She hadn't heard him enter the house and considering the events of the present she was already far too edgy.

"Jack?" she rose in bed and squeezed her hands tight.

"Yeah." He whispered and stepped into the bedroom. His fatigue shirt dropped onto the chair beside their bedroom door. Jack kicked off his combat boots and pulled of his thick socks.

"Kids asleep?" he asked gently.

"Madaline," she said gently, pushing the covers back and standing to greet him. "Charles might still be awake."

He smiled softly and rubbed his shoulder. He rolled his neck and stretched. Samantha reached out to him, her fingers trailing his side. He glanced to her quickly and he touched her cheek.

"She do okay with the needle?" he asked softly as she led him to the bed.

"She did fine." Sam settled him on the side of the bed and helped him pull off his shirt. He tossed it to the floor and dropped his shoulders tiredly. She frowned at the groan from his lips.

Sam lifted her silk nightgown so she could kneel on the bed behind him. Her hands slid over his shoulders and forced his head to drop forward. She rubbed hard at the tightened cords in his neck.

"God you are so tense," she whispered and slid her fingers up through his hairline.

"SG11 came through about twenty minutes after you left in a few different pieces." He answered and flinched as she hit a sore knot of muscle.

"Is everyone okay?" she asked quickly.

"Conners is at critical." He answered slowly. His words falling quiet as he relaxed into her hands.

"Janet'll never get any sleep," Samantha murmured, "You think he'll be okay?"

"Hope so." He turned slightly and stopped her hands. His arm slid around and settled her to the bed. She lay back and held his gaze. O'Neill leaned carefully over her, his hand rubbing her side.

She swallowed heavily and shook her head. Her eyes shined in the dark room and he knew she had tears threatening.

"Am I in denial here?" she whispered.

He shook his head and closed his eyes. "If you are...you're not the only one."

Their thoughts trained on a single child. Their child.

He opened his eyes to meet her soft gaze. She shook her head and took a breath. "There isn't any part of him in her Jack. She's so sweet and..." her gaze flickered away.

"Samantha," he pulled her chin so her eyes met his, "there's nothing of that man in her because she's not his."

"Face the facts Jack." She snapped then recoiled at the idea of what she'd said. Jack looked to her but held his tongue. He studied her softly. Pain flashed through him then he pushed it away. He ached when she curled away from him.

"Hey," he moved her body back open to him. "Sam."

She looked up slowly, swallowing hard. He noticed the silent tears tumbling down her cheeks. Jack settled his palm to curve her cheek. She watched in silent wonder and he kissed her lips. Then her cheek.

"We've raised her. She's our daughter. No man will take that away from us, especially Jonas Hanson." the dedication that burned in his gaze settled her a bit and she lifted a hand to cover his.

He looked for another way to reassure her and he licked his lips. O'Neill shook his head slightly then looked back to her.

"Everything she is, is a part of us. You me and Charlie." His voice wavered a bit, "Even Jan and Kawalsky."

She looked to him with silent resolve. Her eyes flashing with determination. "She's yours."

"No," he whispered and leaned close, "She's ours."

Then again, she smiled, sometimes she loved her job. Janet settled the blood work on hr desk and stepped quickly out into the infirmary. Her hands settled on her hips as she took a few quick steps to her friends.

"General O'Neill." Her voice rang gently through the room.

She found both the General and his wife standing nearby the bed of Captain Conners. The young man laughed gently at some joke, which O'Neill had undoubtedly come up with. Sam laughed softly and squeezed the Captain's hand in support. The couple glanced up quickly as she called then took their leave of the ailing soldier.

"Have you got -"

"Yes." Janet nodded. She barely held the smile and just noticed as Sam's hand slipped into her husbands. He squeezed tightly then looked back to the doctor.

"Please Janet just..." he shook his head in mild discouragement. Expecting a crushing answer.

"She's yours General."

Surprise clouded his darkened gaze and his head snapped up in wonder. He opened his mouth to speak then closed it quickly.

"You mean..." Sam took a slight step to her friend. Not daring to go any further.

"She is an O'Neill kid by 99.97 percent, which is court permissible." Janet beamed sweetly and laughed as O'Neill swept his wife into a huge hug. He buried his face in her shoulder and Janet gawked at the realization he was crying. Samantha laughed softly then closed her eyes. Hugging her husband just as tightly as he clung to her. She felt the tears sting at her as he kissed her neck.

Janet watched them gently, her arms crossed over her chest. She couldn't help a smile as they stood together. Just clinging to the other. Their only stable emotional support.

"Mine," Jack whispered to his wife. His voice quiet and reserved. Slightly in shock. "She's mine."

Sam shook her head and kissed him quickly, "Ours."

She found him that evening, reveling in his children. Sam watched from the kitchen doorway. She had taken a long nap, needing some comfort after the past few days. She had been able to sleep for the first time in the past two weeks. Her emotions had somewhat calmed and her family was settling back to normal. She knew both children had been sorely confused over the situation and someday maybe they would tell them everything. But not then.

He was playing games with them. She smirked and lifted a hand to her mouth to stifle a laugh. Candyland certainly wasn't his forte and yet, he made it seem the best game in the world. Maddie sat on his knee. Her hands playing idly with a leftover gamepiece. Charlie sat opposite them, his baseball cap on backwards and a sly grin on his lips. The resemblance of his father was incredible. And Madaline, now that she knew the little girl was his; she could recognize facial features more easily. Whether it was psychological or not, the child had the same chin and eyes as her father. Her hair was darker but Samantha knew the color came from him.

O'Neill was facing her and smiled as he looked up. Her daughter lazily settled her head back against his chest and blinked. Sam could tell how tired she was. The little girl waved quietly and Sam waved back. Charles on the other hand had his back to her. He was carefully strategizing his next move. His eyes fastened to the board, he nearly yelped when she settled her hands on his head.

"Hat off at the table." She slipped it off and kissed the top of his head lightly.

"We're not eating." He quipped and glanced up, rebellion in his eyes.

Sam arched a brow; she pointed at him and shook her head. He broke a huge smile and stood up straighter.

"Keep acting like that, you won't be eating." She pushed him playfully and he laughed in return. She handed him the hat and he set it beside him.

"I don't want it on my table Charlie." Her back was turned but she knew he had put it there, she also knew when he resigned and set it on his knee.

With a breath she stretched her fingers over the sink, wincing slightly as pain shot through them. She settled her head back as she rubbed her knuckles carefully. She rolled her wrists slowly and made two fists. The pain echoed up her arm at the action and she held a deep breath.

Jack knew what she was doing. At least twice a day they would bother her. She would stretch them, bending the aching joints in an attempt to stop the pain. Just for a moment. Carefully he lifted his daughter and stood, setting her back in the vacated chair. She leaned forward and moved her little plastic man, smirking at Charlie.

O'Neill slid behind his wife and moved his hands down her arms to meet with her slender hands. His chin settled at her neck as he slipped his fingers between hers. He closed his hands around hers and hugged her close.

"It hurts." she whispered.

"I know baby." He folded her arms against her and held her.

He kissed her neck softly and held her to him. Her breathing gently slowed and she rested against his wide chest. She shivered slightly and he arched a brow.

"You cold?"

"No..." she smiled weakly, "Just thinking."

"About?" he turned her and they leaned against the kitchen counter together.

"This." She nodded towards the two kids. Her hand rose to settle on his chest, "You."

"Well that's always a good thing." He quipped and kissed her head, brushing the hair back from her shoulder. Sam settled her head to his chest and laughed softly.

"He can't take it away, can he?" her voice insecure.

"Never."

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Kate