Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Back to Reality

by SAMIAM
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Back to Reality

Back to Reality

by Sam I Am

Summary: What happened to Sam and Jack after Hannah and her parents go back to their own reality. (You guys wanted it! I've written it!)
Category: Romance
Season: Season 4
Pairing: Jack/Sam
Rating: GEN
Warnings: none
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).
Archived on: 2005-03-30

Back to Reality By Sam I Am - murraytheevilskull@hotmail.com

Rating: 13+ (can't honestly be any more than that)

Warnings: Sam/Jack (that's a warning for anyone who don't like that)

Category: Sam/Jack Romance, Angst, Hurt/Comfort, AU fic, friendship and a little bit of SG-1 Humour thrown in for good measure. (If there's anything I missed out someone tell me!)

Spoilers: Bits and Bobs from Seasons 1-4! `Realities Apart'

Time frame: After `Realities Apart'

Summary: What happened to Sam and Jack after Hannah and her parents go back to their own reality. (You guys wanted it! I've written it!)

Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime / Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. No copyright infringement is intended. No money is being made. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author. Not to be archived without permission. If you want to archive my story TELL ME, or, to borrow a phrase from our beloved Colonel, I am SO gonna kick your ass!

Author's Notes: By popular demand, I have written a further addition to my story `Realities Apart'. I hope you all enjoy and please PLEASE review! It makes my day!

Dedications: To my Best pal/Editor. This story is truly dedicated to you, Hannah! Also to all you S/J fans. Forever in hope!

After much request... Back to Reality!

~~~~~~

1 Year Later...

Jack quite honestly never thought he'd ever be doing this again. He could never have seen him self doing this again, especially with her. But here he was. He was stood in the same aisle, looking down both sides, rows packed full...

"Jack?"

He looked up at his fiance and smiled. In one hand was one pot and in the other another as they stood in the middle of the aisle, a woman steering around them with her trolley as Sam spoke, "Apricot and Peach or Banana?"

"Both," Jack said as Sam placed both jars into the trolley with a shake of her head. They continued down the aisle as Sam stroked his arm gently for a moment. They turned around the end of the aisle and then down another.

Sam stopped the trolley as she examined the shelves, covered in different brands, "How many packs do you reckon?"

"Get 3. I can always grab some more on the way back from work."

Sam nodded and then sighed, "Ah but Pampers are buy 2 get 1 free."

Jack chuckled, "Get them then."

Sam looked at him with a small scowl, but did as he said again. She spoke as she checked the baby food and diapers off her shopping list, "That should be it... Oh wait! Junior's going to need some new bibs."

"Sam?"

"Yeah?"

"We're gonna need some supplies too you know!"

Sam laughed, "I thought you quite enjoyed eating pureed food!" She sighed, "Alright, you get bibs and I'll go grab some food." She stepped closer and gave him a kiss on the cheek and then kissed their child on his nearly hairless head, "See you in a minute, Babe. Go wait in the car when you've finished."

"OK," Jack said as his fiance wandered off down the aisle wheeling the trolley before her, her long denim skirt swishing ever so slightly as she walked. He sighed with a smile and then stared down at the tiny baby strapped to his chest as he stared around with wide blue eyes and sucked his fist. The baby blinked slowly his head tilting backwards as he stared up at his father. Jack instinctively put a supporting hand on his son's head as the baby blue eyes fixed him in their gaze.

He chuckled and then murmured, "Come on, Danny Boy. Let's go find you some bibs."

~~~~~~

Jack walked into the car park, his baby son sleeping against his chest as he walked towards Sam's car. The familiar and comforting weight of the baby made Jack smile and let out a small sigh. He'd spent far too long pretending he didn't need to be loved. He did though. Even after he'd met Sam, he'd been convinced he didn't deserve her.

Now she was his, he suddenly was a completely different person. People on base found it very amusing that Jack was strolling around with a grin on his face most of the time. He no longer was the Jack O'Neill who spent his life on base. Instead of rushing out of his house to get to work so he could spend as much time as possible with his 2IC, he now rushed out of work to get home so he could spend as much time as possible with his son and fiance!

He opened the passenger seat and placed the carrier bag with Danny's bibs in it before he heard someone laugh behind him. He turned to face a familiar face...

"Well look who it isn't? And babysitting too! This is a surprise!"

"For both of us," Jack muttered in reply, not hiding the hatred in his voice.

"So whose baby did you kidnap, Colonel?"

Jack shook his head deciding it would be a bad idea to get provoked. He turned back to the car and opened the baby seat, Daniel still sleeping soundly as he detached the child from him and gently lowered him into the seat. Daniel squirmed slightly in his sleep as Jack fastened the seat belt and then turned back to the man who was still stood watching him.

"Look, Maybourne, as much as I like you and all, I can't stand around all day and talk!"

Maybourne opened the car next door to Sam's and placed his own carrier bags in the back seat, "Then why haven't you already left?"

Jack scowled at him again, knowing that Maybourne was gonna stick around to annoy him and Sam no matter what! Daniel let out a quiet moan and Jack's attention immediately flicked from Maybourne to his son.

He lifted the baby from the car seat and held him to his chest and gently rocked him as Maybourne began to snigger. Jack felt himself getting angry, "You still buying that mustard and beer for one, Harry?"

Maybourne shrugged with that crooked smile of his, "That's the way I like it!"

Daniel began to cry and Jack whispered to him, "Come on, Danny. Give your old man a break here! Shhhh. It's OK, Kid. Mommy will be here soon. Shhhh."

Maybourne was staring at him again, this time slightly confused. He was frowning slightly. Jack turned to him and snarled, "What?"

"That's your baby?"

Jack looked at Maybourne with an expression of disbelief, "Whose baby did you think he was?"

Maybourne shook his head, still slightly shocked, "I just... I didn't think you'd... after..." Maybourne cleared his throat as Daniel began to calm down again. He spoke again watching Jack still jiggling the baby, "Well, Congratulations."

"Thanks," Jack said, not really sure that he wanted to hit Maybourne anymore, which alone was worrying!

Maybourne spoke, "Have you married again?"

"Engaged. We were going to wait until Danny's a bit older first."

Maybourne smiled, this time not crookedly, "Danny?"

"My son. Daniel."

Harry chuckled, "Jack O'Neill! How sentimental have you become?!"

Jack felt himself chuckle as well for no apparent reason, "Very."

Maybourne looked down at the tiny baby, "How old is he?"

"5 months in 2 weeks..."

"Jack, open the boot for me, wouldya?"

Maybourne's eyes widened at the woman who hadn't noticed him yet. Jack placed Daniel in the car seat again and went to assist his fiance glancing at Maybourne's slack jaw.

Sam gave Maybourne a quick smile, picked a bag out of the trolley before she dropped it and took a double take of the man, "Maybourne!"

He spoke in shock, "Major Carter!"

Jack continued to place bags in the boots as Sam said, slightly annoyed but more surprised, "What are you doing here?"

"Me and Jack were just catching up and I see I still have a lot of catching up to do!" He turned to Jack, gawping slightly as he said, "You two?! You're engaged to Major Carter?!?"

"Actually, I'm no longer part of the USAF," Sam piped up before Jack answer Maybourne's question.

"Yes."

"And that... that's your baby?!?" Maybourne babbled pointing a finger between them.

Jack replied again with a small smile, "You betcha!"

"But... but... She likes you back?!? Since when?!?!?" Jack frowned as Sam snorted and Maybourne apologised, "Sorry. It's just... I knew you liked her, but I didn't dream that... Oh Boy! Do I have some catching up to do?!"

As Sam loaded the last bag into the boot she spoke, "Maybe another time. We should really be getting home now. It was... nice to see you again, Colonel."

Maybourne gawped at her as she climbed into the back seat, "Just call me `Harry'."

Jack gave him a small nod as he went to climb in the driver's seat, "See ya around, Harry."

"You too, Jack. And I hope you two are happy in the future."

"Thanks," Jack murmured as he climbed into the front seat and began to reverse from the space leaving Maybourne stood beside his car in the car park.

When they'd gone, the Colonel shook his head as if shaking away the illusion he'd just witnessed! After a few seconds, he sighed and murmured, "I should really lay off the mustard!"

~~~~~~

Sam stepped into the living room with their dinner when she stopped with a smile. The TV was still on and was flickering in the corner some film on there that was half way through. All the lights were off except for a lamp beside the couch which shone down on the two most precious people in Sam's life.

Jack lay on the couch, his long legs hanging over the opposite arm to the one his head rested on, fast asleep, their tiny son curled up sleeping on Jack's chest. Baby Daniel was naturally dribbling, although a spit cloth was already placed beneath his chubby cheek.

Sam sighed happily and put the two plates down on the coffee table before she knelt beside her fianc debating whether to wake him up. He needed all the sleep he could get. Jack O'Neill found it difficult to sleep off world and then to come home to a baby crying at obscene hours in the morning must be so tiring for him. She placed a hand on his shoulder and spoke softly, "Jack?"

"What? I'm up! I'm up!"

Sam laughed at the confused mumble before she kissed him softly, "Shh. You'll wake Junior."

Jack opened a dark bleary eye, smiling slightly before he moved his head and stared at his son snoozing on his stomach. He smiled and stroked the baby's downy hair with his thumb before he whispered, "Thanks Sam."

"For what?" She breathed back as he turned to face her for a moment.

"For giving me another chance, for bringing Junior into my life..." He stared at her with a smile on his face, "For showing me I have something worth fighting for."

Sam felt tears building and let out a laugh, "Bloody Hormones!"

Jack chuckled and kissed her before he slowly sat up, holding their child in his arms, "I'll take him up." He looked over at the table, "Chilli! You're a mind-reader!"

He kissed her again, addicted to Samantha Carter. He was captivated by her and she was his life. He loved her and their baby son more than anything and Jack finally felt happy for the first time in almost forever.

Holding the small child to his chest, Jack climbed the stairs and stepped into the spare room. He turned the light on, blinded for a few seconds. Through the bright glow, he could almost see a small golden haired girl sleeping in the single bed...

Then his eyes adjusted and he realised it was just his imagination. He sighed slightly and looked down at his son, wondering if he would ever be told about his `sister'.

The baby slept soundly and Jack smiled lovingly as his eyes trailed his son's chubby features. He walked over to the cot and placed the tiny baby down, half-covering him in a blanket and turning the baby radio on before wandering back downstairs.

Sam smiled at him as he entered before she grabbed their plates. Jack collapsed on the sofa as Sam lay beside him, the two of them just about fitting onto their usual position on the couch. Sam passed Jack his plate as she began to eat hers slowly, half-watching the film on the TV.

Once they'd finished their meal, the baby radio crackled out the familiar noise of their son seeking attention. Sam let out a soft laugh, "And I was hoping he'd give me hour to sit down!"

Jack chuckled as well glancing at his watch, "It's getting late and I'm shattered. We'd probably be better going up now."

Sam nodded with a small yawn as she switched the TV off and Jack moved into the kitchen to clear up slightly. He switched all the downstairs lights off and climbed the stairs. The light in Danny's room wasn't on so Jack wandered into their bedroom.

His fiance smiled at him from where she sat on their bed, cradling her son in her arms as he grabbed onto her clothes in his fists and pulled. Jack chuckled and walked over to their bed, sitting beside the woman he loved. He wrapped an arm around her shoulders as she leant into him slightly. Daniel was burbling and staring almost cross-eyed as he flailed his podgy fists in the air, kicking his legs in unison.

"Do you know what today is?"

Jack nodded and kissed her head as he mumbled, "You thought I'd forgotten?"

Sam shook her head, "A year to the day since Hannah came through the mirror."

His voice was quiet and subdued as he wrapped his arms around her, "It's been quite a year."

Sam leant against his chest, her hair tickling his neck slightly, but he didn't care. This was one of those moments Jack loved and that made his life so... perfect. There was no other word for it! Perfect.

His baby son's blue eyes stared at Sam's finger as he grasped it in his hands and pulled it into his mouth. Sam let out a small giggle and glanced up at him, the look in her eyes so beautiful that Jack couldn't help but beam at her. She kissed him softly and Jack realised just how goddamn lucky he was to have someone like Sam in his life.

She pulled back again and whispered, "Yeah. Some year." She stared back at her son, "I'll go put him down, get him off to sleep. You can barely keep your eyes open!"

Jack just smiled lop-sidedly in a look of love only rivalled by a teenager struck by puppy love! Sam laughed as she kissed him again and climbed off the bed. She stood, half-stretching, before wandering from the room to the spare room.

She wandered inside and flicked on the lamp on the bedside cabinet. It let out a soft glow as she sat in the rocking chair in the corner. One of Jack's ideas! Not as harebrained as most and surprisingly useful!

Sam smiled as she began to rock gently backwards and forwards, remembering the time she'd caught Jack rocking Daniel in here and singing `Danny Boy' in his rarely used, and barely tuneful, Irish tones! Sam found herself humming the tune softly as the baby gawped up at her, beginning to look drowsy.

Sam stroked the baby's cheek with her fingertip as he let out a baby yawn. Sam gave a soft chuckle and continued to rock the chair absent-mindedly. Sam smiled as she thought to herself, `I love my life. It's been a LONG time since I last love my life this much. The Powers That Be seem to have given me a break!'

She'd been in the baby's room about 15 minutes when he fell fast asleep. She sighed happily and placed her child in his cot, turning on the baby monitor before leaving the room. She quietly stepped into their bedroom, closing the door silently behind her. Sam shed her clothes and pulled on her pyjamas before clambering beneath the duvet and snuggling close to the man, her back facing him as she mumbled, "Night Baby."

"Sweet Dreams, Honey," he whispered as she snorted gently. She grinned as she closed her eyes and felt him press a soft kiss to her temple. She sighed softly and tried to clear her mind so they could get some much-needed sleep, just like the other Sam and Jack from another reality had done a year ago, when all hope was almost gone and they thought they'd lost their little girl forever. They didn't know that, but for a second, Sam opened her eyes and frowned as Jack whispered anxiously, "What?"

Sam shook her head and looked over her shoulder at him for a moment, kissing him softly and then smiling as she laid her head back on the pillow, "Nothing. I just love you, that's all!"

Jack chucked and spoke in a hushed tone, his breath tickling her ears as the warmth of his body pressed against her back made her begin to doze, "To me that's definitely not just nothing."

~~~FINIS~~~

Yet More Author's Notes: For all of you who wanted to find out what happened to our Jack and Sam after Hannah! Thanks ever so much for reading and I hope you enjoyed it! Feedback would be great, Sam xx

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Sam I Am