Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

A Matter Of Trust

by MandySG1
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Story Bemerkung:
First time fanfic, I hope you enjoy
A Matter Of Trust

A Matter Of Trust

by MandySG1

Summary: What really happened in Emancipation and how did Sam really feel about it.
Category: Angst, Hurt/Comfort, Missing Scene/Epilogue
Episode Related: 103 Emancipation
Season: Season 1
Pairing: Team
Rating: 13+
Warnings: adult themes, violence
Author's Notes: First time fanfic, I hope you enjoy
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).
Archived on: 2005-05-20

A MATTER OF TRUST

The event horizon of the wormhole rippled as SG1 stepped through. It had been a hard difficult mission. More so for one member than the others. General Hammond approached the team at the bottom of the ramp. "Welcome back SG1, I hope everything went well Colonel."

"Well general, we had a little misunderstanding with the locals, culminating with Captain Carter kicking this humongous guys butt." The Colonel said this with a slight smile and a look of pride on his face.

"Well clear medical, and we'll debrief in two hours.," stated Hammond. A chorus of " yes sirs", was heard as the group left the room. Teal'c left first with Daniel by his side, followed by Carter. O'Neill watched them go, and noticed Carter moving a little slower and slightly stiffly. Must be a little sore from that fight with Turgan, Jack thought to himself.

"Well Colonel, everything seems to be alright, now unbuckle your belt, so I can give you your injection."

Did Doc Fraiser seem to have a smile on her face, when she said that, thought O'Neill. "Yea sure, what ever you say Doc, how was Carter when you saw her?"

"I haven't seen her yet Colonel, why do you ask?"

" Well, when I saw her last, she didn't seem to be moving as easily as she usually does, and after that fight she had with the big Mongol, I wouldn't be surprised if she was a little sore." Speaking of which, Jack started rubbing a sore area on his posterior, where a rather large needle had just been extracted.

"Okay Colonel I'll look into it when I see her, she should be here soon."

"You know Doc, we have to debrief in about twenty minutes, so I'll make sure she shows up after that." O'Neill did up his buckle and headed out the door.

As O'Neill entered the briefing room, he noticed Teal'c and Daniel were sitting on one side of the table, while Carter sat on the other side, looking at papers in front of her. He moved to sit in the chair next to hers. Just then, the general entered the room and O'Neill and Carter stood, as the general took his seat. O'Neill noticed an odd look on Carter's face as she stood and sat back down. Oh yea, he was going to make sure he led her to the infirmary after the meeting.

As the debriefing went on, O'Neill told the general about how they met the people of this world, were taken back to their village, and welcomed. Well except for Carter, who was treated as a second-class citizen. He explained how Dr. Jackson convinced them to have Carter do as the people wished, and dress as their customs demanded. Jacked looked at Carter as he said this, and noticed her face turning slightly red, boy she must be angry O'Neill thought to himself. He continued to tell the general how he Daniel and Teal'c went to the celebration that night, leaving Carter alone in the tent. He looked down as he said the last part, a look of guilt on his face.

Carter took over that and recounted how she woke up with a knife to her throat, how she was tied up and lead out of the tent to an awaiting horse. She said she wasn't sure if it was two or three men who helped to abduct her. She told them how she was taken to the camp, and traded for gold. She said Abu wanted to trade her for Turgan's daughter, but he wouldn't hear of it, and threw the gold to Abu and told him to leave. She recounted how she almost escaped, making it to a horse, only to have it buck her off when the guards whistled for it.

"Why didn't you just wait for us?" asked Daniel.

"Since I didn't know where I was, yet alone where you were, I took it upon myself, like any soldier would, and tried to escape." Sam said slightly exasperated.

"That's alright Captain, you may continue if you like," said General Hammond, his voice a little softer than normal.

"The guards tied my hands and dragged me back to the camp." Sam recalled.

"Were there any repercussions we should know about?" asked Jack, while looking Sam in the eyes. He couldn't read her, or just wasn't sure he wanted to know what she was thinking.

" Nothing worthwhile mentioning Sir." Carter stated, without a hint of emotion.

" Carter I ..."

Hammond cut Jack off saying, "That's alright Colonel, this is just a preliminary debriefing, if anything needs to be added, I'm sure the Captain will write it up in her report."

"Thank you General, I'll be sure to give you a detailed written report Sir." Sam stated.

They told the general how the rest of SG1 made it to the camp, and eventually got Carter back, trading her for a pistol, and avoiding a war between the two tribes. Next Daniel explained how they had to go back to Turgan's camp, so that the young girl wouldn't be stoned to death, and how according to their laws it was only Sam who could fight him for her life.

"Okay SG1 that will be all for now, your dismissed." the general stated. They all got up to leave the room, when the general called to Jack. "Jack could you, stick around a minute."

"Why sure General, no problem." They watched as the others left the room, and then Jack closed the door and faced the general.

" Let me start by saying, that I know you and your team are still getting to know each other, but with what happened to Captain Carter..." the general was saying, as Jack cut him off. "I know General, it was my fault, I know better than to a leave a team member, any team member alone, especially on another planet."

"You are quite correct Colonel, so I guess we don't have to have this conversation. Just go and make sure your team is alright, something like this can put a strain on a team, and I'd hate for that to happen." The general said with concern in his voice and eyes.

"Yes sir, so would I, now if that's all, I'd like to get to my team and make sure everything is ok." Jack noticed the general nod to him, as he got up to leave the room. Jack hurried to catch up to his team. He found Daniel and Teal'c in Daniel's office. "Hey Daniel, have you seen Carter?" Jack asked.

"Ah she said something about speaking to Dr. Frazier about those samples we brought back." Daniel said while staring at an artefact they brought back with them.

"Okay, I guess I'll catch up with her there." Jack said as he hurried out the door. Making his way to the infirmary, Jack stopped just out side the door, when he heard two voices from within. One was distinctly Captain Carter's and the other belonged to Dr. Frazier.

"Well Captain, I hear you may be having some problem, from the fight you had on your mission."

"Yea doctor, but just some scrapes and bruises, not much to worry about." Sam said looking down.

"Let me be the judge of that Captain, where are these so called scrapes and bruises?" Frazier said with a questioning look on her face.

Sam stood up and turned her back to the doctor, then lifted her shirt slightly off her back. Janet's eyes grew wide in surprise, as she took a gasp of air in horror. She immediately called for the nurse to bring supplies for suturing and dressings. "Jeez Captain, what the hell happened over there." Janet said while grabbing Sam's shirt and lifting it all the way off her back. "Lie down Captain; this is going to take a while." Janet said as she helped manoeuvre onto the gurney.

Jack's face paled in horror, as he listened to the exchange between the women. What could possibly draw such a reaction from the doctor? He had to find out for himself. No matter what it took. He walked up to the curtained off area.

Janet had Sam lying on her stomach as she cut the shirt off Sam's back. She noted that Sam was not wearing her bra, she obviously knew why. She was putting on her gloves when she heard the colonel speak. "Doctor, Captain, this is Colonel O'Neill, I have to know what's going on in there. Now"

Janet was startled by the colonel, then picked up a sterile cloth and draped it over Sam's back to give her some dignity if the colonel actually stepped behind the curtain. Janet stepped out from behind the curtain, and came face to face with a very worried looking colonel. "I'm sorry Colonel, but my patient deserves some privacy." Janet said while protectively standing between him and the curtain.

"Look Doc, I have to know what happened to Carter." Jack said while trying to get passed the diminutive doctor. They both looked back when they heard Sam say "It's alright doctor. let him in."

Jack stepped into the curtained off area, and saw Carter laying on her stomach with a blue cloth over her back, he could tell from where the cloth didn't cover her side that she wasn't wearing anything under that cloth, and then he saw the cut up T-shirt hanging over the gurney. He felt a little awkward, but he had to know what happened to Carter. "So what happened?" Jack said with a concerned sounding voice.

Sam nodded to Janet, Janet then lifted the cloth from Sam's back. Jack was surprised and horrified with the sight before him. Sam's back was coved with long cuts, some criss-crossing over each other, some very red welts and a multitude of bruising, there was hardly any of her pale white skin left to see. After the initial shock wore off, Jack approached Sam, crouching down, so he was at eye level with her, and with a very gentle voice, he asked her what happened.

Sam drew a few calming breaths and started to tell Jack "I'm afraid I left a few things out of my report at the debriefing, When I was recaptured after trying to escape, I was brought back to Turgan, with my hands bound, he was going to beat one of the women who was responsible for looking after me. I told him if he needed to beat a woman, to try me."

"Sam, this looks more than just a beating." Jack said with a concerned look on his face.

"Well, for him, a beating includes using some sort of whip." Sam said, as the others listened with shocked looks on their faces.

"I have to dress your wounds and a few are going to need suturing. This is going to take a while. "Janet stepped forward, and placed a comforting hand on Sam's arm, "Captain, normally I'd numb the area before suturing, but seeing the extent of the damage, I'm afraid I'm going to have to give you morphine instead."

"Doctor, could you hold off for a few minutes, I think the rest of our team should see this." the colonel was answered a chorus of "Colonel" from a shocked Captain, and a concerned doctor. "Look Captain, this happened on a mission, with your team, they need to know what happened, so we can all learn from it, and make sure nothing like this will ever happen again."

"Yes sir, I understand." as Sam said this, Jack noticed the sheen of sweat on her forehead, and the how her face started looking flushed. Was this from the pain or something else?

One of the nursed stepped behind the curtain, carrying an armload of supplies. The doctor helped her put the items on a bedside table, and then told her to get the morphine. "Okay colonel, I'll give you until the morphine starts to work to get the rest of your team here, before I start working on the Captain's back." the doctor said as she reached for the syringe the nurse had just brought in.

"Thank you Doctor" Jack said as he was leaving the curtained off area, he saw the doctor inject the syringe in Carter's arm as he left.

**************************************************************************************** Jack rounded the corner of Daniel's office and almost ran straight into the young archaeologist. "Daniel do you know where Teal'c is?"

"I think he went to his quarters, why do you ask?" Daniel queried.

Jack ignored Daniel for a moment as he reached for Daniel's phone and dialled . "Hey Teal'c, meet Daniel and me outside the infirmary, don't go in until we get there. Yea, okay see you in a few minutes." Jack looked at Daniel and said, "Lets get a move on it Danny-boy, we'll meet Teal'c at the infirmary, then I'll fill you in."

As the three met outside the infirmary, Daniel could be heard all the way down the hall nagging Jack for information. Jack looked at both men and started to fill them in. "Look guys, our last mission didn't go off as well as we thought. It seems Captain Carter did end up with some injuries. I think you should see for yourselves and then we can discuss it." Jack led the two men into the infirmary and to the area behind the curtains. "Okay doc we're here." Jack said in quiet voice.

The doctor came out from behind the curtains. "You're just in time Colonel, the morphine's just started to work. She may be out of it for a while, but, she won't feel any pain." Janet then looked at the two men and told them, what they were about to see may be shocking to them at first, but they should hold their emotions for the sake of the Captain. Both men agreed, and then were lead behind the curtain.

Daniel was the first to react. "Oh my God, uh Captain, Doctor, I'm so sorry, are you alright?" Daniel's face was full of shock, and the guilt he was feeling started to weigh heavily on him. He took a step back and asked Jack what happened.

Jack explained to the two members of his team what had happened on the planet. Teal'c took a step towards Carter and softly said, "I am sorry, Captain Carter, I have failed in my responsibility to protect my team member, I hope you can find it in your heart to forgive me." Teal'c gave her a slight bow, and awaited a response. There was none to come.

Janet stepped towards Sam's head, lifted her eyelid, and looked into her eye. "Sorry gentlemen she's out, I don't think she heard you." Janet picked up the sutures to get started.

Jack looked at the doctor, and asked, "So what's the prognosis?"

Janet sighed as she answered. "Well Colonel, I think it's going to take quite a few stitches to close up some of the deeper cuts, it looks like an infection has already taken hold, but antibiotics should clear that up, as for scarring I can use an ointment and frequent dressing changes and hope it will be a minimum."

"Will she be able to go home after your finished here?" Jack asked, obviously concerned.

"When I looked at her file, I noticed that she lives alone, and with her dressing needing to be changed three or four times a day, she won't be able to that herself, so she'll have to stay on base in order for that to happen. I will also want to start her on IV antibiotics for the first few doses, and then I can start her on the pill form."

"Thanks Doc," Jack said as he motioned for the other members of his team to follow him. "Well guys, I think it's up to us to remedy this situation. We can offer our help as team members and friends, or we can leave Carter to stay on base for her recovery."

"Well Jack, as I see it, we weren't there for her when she needed us the most, we should be here for her now. No matter what it takes." Daniel said.

"I too feel as Daniel Jackson. I will do what ever is needed, to assist Captain Carter." Teal'c said with a stoic look on his face.

Doctor Frazier and a nurse came from behind the curtain, Janet was writing in a chart, and turned to the nurse handing her the chart. "Okay, I want you to start the IV and get the captain ready for X-rays." The nurse took the chart and walked out of the infirmary

Jack looked at Frazier, "Hey Doc, the guys and I decided we will look after Carter so she can get out of here. It's the least we can do."

"She's coming to, so why don't you check with her, and see what she has to say." Frazier was not sure what Sam would think of this, seeing how they treated her on the planet.

The three members of SG1 walked up to Sam's bedside. She was now dressed in a hospital gown, lying on her side with a pillow at her side helping to prop her up, so she wouldn't fall on her back. The back of the gown was open enough for the guys to see the heavy bandages that adorned her back. Jack was the first to speak, "Hey Carter, how you doing?"

She tilted her head up towards Jack; her eyes were still droopy from the effects of the morphine. "Fine Sir, thanks for asking." Jack could tell there was some bitterness in her voice, when she answered him.

"Hey Sam, we were in here earlier, but you were out of it. I just want you to know how sorry..."

"It's ok Daniel; I heard what you and Teal'c said, before I passed out." Said Sam as she looked towards the nurse making her way towards her carrying supplies. She started to put the IV together, and then inserted the needle into Sam's hand. The nurse then added a small bag to the IV, which had the medicine in it.

"Ah Carter, we were talking earlier, and thought we would like to help you out. The only way the doc's going to let you out of here, is if you have someone to help you out when you go home." Jack said gently.

"That's okay Sir, I can very well take care of myself, I've been doing it for a while now." Sam said shortly.

Jack looked a little surprised at Carter's answer, and replied, "I understand that Captain, I don't assume that your not a very capable person, however, the doc says that your going to need your dressings changes frequently, and unless you're a contortionist I don't think you will be able to do it yourself. That leaves you with the options of being stuck on the base for your treatments, or allowing your team mates to help you." Just then, two orderlies came to take Sam to x-ray. "Let me know what you've decided when you get back." Jack said as she was being wheeled out of the room. Jack, Daniel and Teal headed towards Dr. Frazier's office, Jack stepped in, while the others waited out side the open door. "Well Doc, we told her what we wanted to do." Frazier looked up with a slight smile on her face, "What did she say?" the doctor asked.

"Well they just took her to x-ray, so we will know her answer when she gets back." Jack grinned.

"If she says yes, you three will have to know how to change the bandages, which believe me, is not an easy job considering all the damage. So how about I call you when we do the next dressing change and you can get some lessons." Janet said.

`The others may need lessons, but I've been in the military over twenty years and have done my fair share of changing bandages and taking care of wounds." Jack said smugly.

"Look Colonel, I realize you may have changed bandages in your time, but I'm not releasing her to anyone's care until I've seen them change the bandages." Frazier said firmly.

"Okay, okay, what ever your say Doc." Jack said as a nursed knocked on Janet's door.

"Sorry to disturb you Dr. Frazier, but Captain Carter is back from x-ray, and here are the results." The nurse said as she handed Janet a large brown envelope.

"Janet took the envelope, took out the x-rays and moved to the infirmary, where she could put the x-rays up against an x-ray light on the wall. The three men followed her as she did this, looking over her shoulder as she examined the x-rays Well Doc, what's the verdict?" Jack asked.

"From what I can see there are a couple of hairline fractures on two of her ribs on the right side, but nothing too serious. This will make moving around more difficult and painful. As you must know there's nothing we can do for fractured ribs." Janet said finally taking a breath.

"So can we still take her home?" Daniel asked, finally speaking up.

"That's up to Captain Carter, why don't we go see what she has to say about it." Janet said leading the men to Sam's bedside.

Sam was now sitting up in bed with her knees up and leaning forward resting on them. She sat up straighter as she saw the group head towards her. "So Carter, have you made a decision?" Jack asked.

"It depends, so Doctor, is it true that you'll only let me off the base if I take them up on their offer?" Sam said looking nervously at the doctor.

"I'm afraid so Captain, it's either staying on base, and coming to the infirmary for treatment, or allowing your team mates to assist you at home." The doctor told her.

"That's what I was afraid of." Sam said, looking a little depressed.

"What's the problem Carter; it's an easy choice, us or here." Jack said while smiling and grabbing Daniel and Teal'c by the shoulders in a group huddle. Daniel also smiled slightly, while Teal'c just raised an eyebrow.

"Alright " Sam said shaking her head in disbelief.

Janet took that as her cue, "Well Captain, since these gentlemen will be assisting you, I already told them, they'll have to come and take lesson in changing your bandages, we'll do this in a couple of hours, while I get your meds ready to take with you. I also want you to have one more round of the IV antibiotics before you go. This can be done while you're getting your bandages changed."

"Thanks doc, I think we can handle that." Jack said before Sam could say anything.

"While we're waiting, I'll just go and clear things up with the general, and let him know what's going to happen." Jack said and left the room.

"So Sam," Daniel began, "how do you really feel about having us around, and helping you out?"

"I really don't know Daniel, I think it's going to be a little crowded at my place, I still haven't finished unpacking." Sam said with a nervous grin on her face. She shifted slightly in the bed, and her face paled as a sharp pain over took her. She held her breath and tried to wait for the wave to pass.

"Are you alright Captain Carter?" Teal'c asked.

"Yea, I'll be okay." Sam said as she tried to breath through the pain. "I guess the morphine finally wore off"

"Dr. Frazier, Captain Carter requires your assistance." Teal'c called.

"What's wrong?" Janet said as came around the corner. "Captain Carter is in a great deal of pain." Teal'c informed Janet.

"It's alright Teal'c, I just moved the wrong way." Sam said through clenched teeth.

"Obviously it's not, Captain." Janet said, while reaching into her pocket for a bottle of pills. "It's time to take some pain meds, the morphine has worn off by now."

"It's ok Doctor, it's nothing I can't handle." Sam said holding her breath trying not to show how much pain she was having.

"Well that's a load of bull of I ever heard it. You will take your medication, or do I have to make it an order." Said an exasperated doctor.

"Okay, Doctor what ever you say." Sam said giving in, and thinking how much she did want the relief, but afraid to show weakness.

Janet handed Sam two small pills, and then poured her a glass of water, and waited for her to swallow the pills. Okay why don't you rest a while and wait for the medication to take affect, by then it will be time for your dressings to be changed." Janet helped to ease Sam down so she was lying on her side. Just then, a nurse came to take Sam's temperature.

"It's 101.5 doctor." the nurse informed Janet.

"Okay, give her two Tylenol to bring her fever down. In the mean time, I'll get her next dose of antibiotics. Both Janet and the nurse left to do their tasks.

"Well, I guess I'll go back to my lab and get things ready, so we can leave later." Daniel said while giving Sam a gentle squeeze on her arm. He and Teal'c both left the infirmary together.

They ran into O'Neill by the elevator, Jack told them that the general was sorry to hear about what happened to Carter, and that they could have some time off to help out their team mate.

"Yea, about that Jack." Daniel said, "Ah Sam said she didn't know how we'd fit into her apartment and that she was still unpacking. I get the feeling there won't be much room there for all of us."

"Well I have a three bedroom house, she can have one of the bedrooms and you and Teal'c can toss for the other one." Jack told them.

"Who am I to toss, and where am I to toss them." Teal'c inquired.

"It's just a figure of speech Teal'c; Daniel will explain it to you later." Jack said as he grinned at Daniel.

"Ah we were just headed to finish some things up, so we'll be ready when it's time to take Sam home." Daniel said, as he and Teal'c entered the elevator.

"I'll see you two later in the infirmary." Jack yelled as the doors closed. He made his way towards the infirmary, he stepped inside the door and noticed Sam was sleeping. She was lying on her side, with a pillow beside her so she looked like she was almost hugging it. He turned around and walked towards the doctor's office. "Hey Doc, I just cleared everything up with Hammond, so when ever Carter's ready to go we can take her home." Jack said this with a little bit of a grin on his face.

"Well Colonel in about half an hour we'll be ready to get started. Here's a list of her medications, she's running a slight fever so make sure she takes the penicillin as well as the Tylenol. Other than that, it's just some pain meds; she seems reluctant to take them so you may have to be insistent."

"That won't be a problem Doc; I'll use my charming commanding voice." Jack grinned.

Jack went to wait, by Carter's bed. He brought up a chair and sat next to the bed. He watched her sleeping, noticing the troubled look on her face. That must be some dream she's having, probably from what happened on the planet. Boy I'm such an ass for allowing that to happen. I hope she forgives me, us for letting this happen. Jack was brought out of his musings by the arrival of the doctor, a nurse, and the remaining members of his team.

"Okay gentlemen, lets get started." Janet went up to Sam and gently shook her shoulder to wake her up. "Captain, it's time to change you dressings."

Sam lifted her head slowly, blinking her eyes to get rid of the blurry vision. She looked over her shoulder and noticed everyone standing around. Before she could say anything Jack spoke up.

"Well Carter, looks like you're going to be the centre of attention far a bit." Sam noticed he was smiling as he said that. She herself had a puzzled look on her face

"Ah Sam, Dr. Frazier won't let us take you home until we've had a lesson on changing your bandages." Daniel said slightly embarrassed.

"Oh" was all Sam could think of saying; I am so not going to like this.

Janet showed them how to set up before getting started. Then she helped manoeuvre Sam so she was lying on her stomach, and pulled the covers down. Janet untied the back of her gown, and moved it so her back and sides were exposed.

Jack was relieved to see she was wearing the pyjama bottoms, but then again he couldn't be blamed if he hoped she wasn't.

"Oh boy, do I feel like I'm on display here." Sam said sheepishly.

"That's because you are Captain." Jack said, and what a display it is he thought as his eyes roamed over her body, taking in the sight of her exposed skin, and how the pyjamas fit nice and tightly over her oh so nice butt. Is it getting hot in here, he started tugging at the collar of his t-shirt. The doctor was removing the bandages from Sam's back, showing again the angry red cuts and welts, as well as the multitude of bruises, and now the numerous black stitches, brought him back to reality. She showed them how to clean the wounds, allowing each a turn. Then she showed them how to apply the ointment, and finally how to apply the large bulky dressings, they would have to use, since they had to cover a large area. She told them and Sam not to get the area wet until the stitches came out. Which meant that Sam would not be able to use the shower, but a shallow bath would be fine?

When they finally finished, Frazier removed the IV from Sam's hand. "That's all for now gentlemen you can go now while we get the captain ready so she can leave."

Twenty minutes later Sam was dressed in her blue BDU's, with a bag of supplies in her hand. Her team mates entered the room; Teal'c took the bag from Sam and gave her a slight bow. "Okay campers ready to head out?" Jack asked.

"Uh Colonel I need to get some things from my lab and locker before we leave, if that's okay with you?" Sam asked.

"Sure Carter no problem." Jack noticed Sam move to stand up, she was moving rather slowly, and holding her right side. Oh yea, jack thought, those ribs are going to be a problem.

They finally made it to the surface, this time Daniel was carrying the items Sam had retrieved. Jack lead everyone to his truck, turned to Sam and said, " Look Carter, the plans have changed, we are going to be staying at my place, since I have more space and bedrooms, we'll go by your place so you can pick some stuff up, then we'll go to my place." Jack said this with all the authority he could muster, hoping she wouldn't ague.

"Well seeing as I don't have much of a choice..." Sam started to say

"Great! Now everybody in the truck." Jack noticed Carter looking at the step to get in the truck. He went up next to her and said, "Here let me give you a hand." He put on arm out so she could use it to leverage herself up, and put his other hand on her side, careful not to touch her bandages as she manoeuvred herself into the front seat.

They arrived at her small apartment, and were thankful Jack offered his place; there was no way four of them were going to be able to fit in there. Sam went from room to room to get things she would need. Finally packed they headed to Jack's house.

The time it had taken for the driving and packing, had taken its toll on Sam, the pain meds had started to wear off, and every bump in the road they hit, she was feeling it.

When they arrived at Jack's, he turned off the truck, then glanced at Carter, he noticed she looked pale, and a small sheen of sweat adorned her forehead. He looked at his watch and noticed it was almost time for her pain pills. He quickly got out of the truck, headed to her side, and opened the door. "Hey Carter let us help you down, Teal'c you want to give me a hand here."

Teal'c came over to O'Neill's side and the two of them tried to help Carter down, without too much jarring, once on the ground Jack lead Sam into the house and showed her to her room. He pulled the covers down on the bed and lead Sam to sit down. She carefully sat down, and Jack reached down to take her boots off. He helped her lay down on the bed, and told her to get some rest. He left the room, and noticed Daniel and Teal'c carrying the bags into the house. "Why don't you put those down on the table for now, I think It's time for her pain meds, so I'll just take them into her now." Jack said, rummaging through the bags for the pills, and then he went to get a glass of water. All three men entered Sam's room, Jack went to her bedside, "here Carter, take these."

"That's ok sir, I just need to rest, and I'll be fine." Sam said though no one believing her.

"Come on Sam, you're obviously in a lot of pain, why don't you just take the medication." Daniel said with obvious concern in his voice.

"Yea Carter, just take the pill like the doc ordered, or do I have to make it an order.

"Ah I don't think that's a lawful order sir." Sam said tiredly.

"Yea well, then take it as a request from a friend then, from all your friends."

"Yes, Sam we don't want to see you suffering when you don't have to."

"That is correct Captain Carter, I too do not wish for you to suffer, when it is not necessary." Teal'c added.

"Ok, ok, if you guys are going to be nagging me about it." Sam sighed.

Jack sat on the bed next to Sam and helped her into a sitting position, so she could take the pill. "So Carter, you up for something to eat, I was just about to start dinner."

"Sure what ever you're having, just call me when it's ready." Sam said, as she started to close her eyes.

All three men left the room, and headed to the kitchen. "So Jack, how do you think its going?" Daniel asked.

"I don't know, she seems a little off, but then again we don't know each other that well. I just hope we can work through this. I don't know if she really trusts us any more."

"Should we not try to regain her trust?" Teal'c added.

"Yea Teal'c, but sometimes that harder to do than you think."

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

In no time, dinner was ready, and Daniel went to tell Sam, she was asleep, so Daniel went beside her, quietly said her name and rubbed her arm. She slowly woke up, and wondered where she was. "Hey Sam ready for some food, Jack made pasta. Sam started to stretch and immediately regretted it. Daniel helped her to sit up and then to stand. The two made their way to the kitchen where the table was all set for four. Jack pulled out a chair for Sam, and the rest sat down. They ate their dinner, with a light banter going on. O'Neill teased Daniel about his rocks, while Teal'c just observed the odd behaviour of the two. Sam, ate some, but not much, and looked rather depressed. O'Neill decided not to call her on it, and let her be for now.

After dinner was finished, Sam was lead to the living room, while the guys cleaned up. They sat around and watched TV for a while. Jack noticed the time, and realized it was time for Carter to have her bandages changed. "So guys I guess it's time for Carter to be on display again." Jack said; both Sam and Daniel shot him an astonished look, with Sam turning slightly red. "Oh, you know what I mean. Danny why don't you start getting things set up, we'll be in in a minute. So Carter how do you want to do this? I think it will be quicker if two of us do this, and you can choose who."

"It doesn't matter to me sir; you're the C.O. so you can decide." She was not going to make this easy on him, and why should she, after all, it was their fault this happened.

Just then, Daniel came out of the room and told them it was all set up. Sam slowly got up and headed towards the bedroom. "Why don't you change into your night clothes Carter, then you won't have to move around afterwards if you don't want to." Jack suggested. "We'll just wait out here, call when you're ready."

Sam went into the room and closed the door. She noticed her bags were in there now, and she searched for her nightclothes. She pulled out a pair of old sweat pants and a loose grey T-shirt. Changing had been a little more difficult than she had expected. In the meantime, the guys were getting a little anxious wondering why it was taking so long. Finally, the door opened and Sam headed back towards the bed. Boy, she thought; this is going to be interesting. She eased herself onto the bed so she was lying on her stomach.

"Oooookay" Jack said, "Daniel and I will do the dressings and Teal'c you can assist us if we need anything." Jack noticed the oversized shirt Sam was wearing and signalled for Daniel to pull it up over her back. Daniel turned red and signalled Jack back that he should do it.

"Is there a problem O'Neill?" Teal'c asked

"Ah no, Teal'c, no problem, just getting ready, that's all." Jack said while scowling at Daniel. Jack wiped his hands on his pants, and reached for the hem of Sam's shirt and proceeded to pull it up so it rested on her shoulders. He took a deep breath, and then started to remove the old bandages. He and Daniel tried to be as gentle as possible, but when tape was being pulled off skin there was bound to be pain. Finally, all the bandages were removed and Teal'c took them out of the room. Daniel and Jack continued to clean the wounds, Jack noticing the heat rising from the area; he touched the back of Sam's neck with the back of his hand. She shivered slightly. "Carter I think you're running a fever, we'll be done soon I promise." Sam could only nod; she was fighting back the urge to cry out with the pain. She was holding her breath with every wave of pain. Then the guys started applying the ointment and finally the bandages, being careful with the tape. "There you go, all done." Jack reached for her shirt and pulled it down over her back. He noticed she wasn't responding to him. "Hey Carter, you alright?" There was still no answer, he put his hand on her forehead, and then lifted her eyelid. "She passed out, and is burning up. Teal'c go get some cold water and some washcloths, Daniel help me turn her over."

"But Jack she'll be laying on her back."

I don't think she'll notice right now." The two men gently moved Sam onto her back. Teal'c entered with the bowl of water and some towels and cloths. Jack and Daniel grabbed a cloth each and started to dab the wet cloths over her forehead and neck. Jack lifted Sam's shirt to expose her abdomen, and started applying the cold compress to her stomach.

"Jack do you think this is going to work?" Daniel asked.

"We have to get her temperature down, the more skin we cool down, the quicker it should be. Daniel you and Teal'c step out for a minute and close the door." They looked at each other questioningly and slowly left the room. Jack took one of the towels and put it over Sam's chest. He then removed her shirt while her breasts remained covered. Then he adjusted the bed sheet to cover her pelvis, and removed her sweat pants, so her legs were bare. Seeing that she was discreetly covered, he called the others back into the room. Daniel blushed when he saw a scantily clad Sam, although all her private areas were covered, there was still a lot of skin showing. Jack told them to help bathe her with the cool cloths. Soon all three were trying to cool Sam off; Jack was wiping Sam's face, neck and chest. Daniel was wiping her arm and abdomen, while Teal'c was wiping her legs and feet. They kept this up for about twenty minutes, when Sam started to stir.

Sam could hear voices, they sounded distant yet familiar, why did she feel so hot, it felt like her eyes were burning, yet she couldn't quite open them. What the hell is going on, and why do I feel wet. She was finally able to open her eyes a bit, she noticed three men around her. A sudden panic took over her; was she back in Turgan's camp? A sudden burst of adrenaline hit her; she had to get out of there and now.

Jack and Daniel noticed Sam's eyes open a bit, "Welcome back Sam, how..." Daniel started to say, when Sam suddenly tried to jolt up. He and Jack immediately put their hands on her shoulders, to try to keep her down. "Easy Carter, your ok." Jack said.

"No! Let me go, I have to get out of here. No! Not again, leave me alone!" Sam cried out, while struggling to get up. It was no use; the hands holding her down were not giving her a chance to escape.

"Come on Carter, snap out of it." Jack said loudly, he was worried that if she got up she would hurt herself, not to mention be embarrassed about being half-naked in front of them. "Sam, stop your going to hurt yourself." It was too late; by the time Jack said it Sam had twisted, and let out a scream of agony, from the pain from her ribs. He did the only thing he knew how to do, he lifted her into a sitting position, and held her in a tight hug, and made a quiet shushing sound in her ear. This had always worked whenever Charlie had woken up screaming from a bad dream.

In no time Sam had started to calm down, she looked over O'Neill's shoulder, and saw a very concerned looking Daniel and Teal'c. "Ah, Colonel, as nice as this might be. what's going on?"

Jack pulled away slightly from Sam, making sure the towel stayed in place, and looked into her eyes. They still looked red and fevered, but seemed more cognizant. "Uh, Carter, your temperature got too high, you were out of it for a while, and we had to try and get it down. Daniel go get the Tylenol and Sam's antibiotic." As Jack said this, Sam looked down at her self and noticed her state of undress; she automatically moved her arm so she was holding the towel snug against her chest. "Ah Colonel, what happened to my clothes?' Sam asked with a confused and worried look on her face.

"Teal'c why don't you go and help Daniel, while I explain things to Carter."

"Very well O'Neill, we shall return, in a few minutes." Teal'c said as he bowed and left the room.

"Carter, why don't you lie back down." Jack said as he helped to ease Sam to lie on her side. "Like I said before, your temp got really high, you passed out, and we had to bring it back down. The only way I knew how, was to apply cold wet compresses to your skin, to cool you down. The others waited outside while I undressed you. Before you say anything, I made sure everything was covered that should be covered, before removing the rest." Jack was sounding very nervous, and hoped Sam believed him.

Sam looked into the Colonel's eyes as he explained it to her, she was feeling very embarrassed and wasn't sure if it was just the fever causing her to go red. She desperately wanted to believe him, but something just kept her an inch from trusting him. "I understand Sir. Do you think I could have my clothes back now?

"Sure Carter, here let me help you." Jack picked up the discarded shirt and noticed it was all wet. "Carter this one's damp, wait a sec and I'll get you a dry one." With that, Jack left the room.

Boy, this is going to be hard to live down, being naked in my CO's bed, not to mention in front of all my team mates. I'll never be respected after this. I should probably ask for a transfer to another team. Who's going to want me on their team, they'll think of me as the woman who couldn't take care of herself. My career's going to be over before I even get a chance to prove myself.

Sam's thoughts were interrupted by Jack coming back in carrying one of his t-shirts. He sat on the bed beside her and the rolled the shirt up and placed it over her head, then he helped lift her slightly off the bed and the shirt fall over her, then she put her arms through the sleeves, and then removed the towel. Jack pulled the sheet so it was covering the rest of her. Daniel and Teal'c entered the room, Daniel went up to Sam and handed her the pills, and after she took them, he held the glass of water for her. "I wasn't sure if you wanted your pain pills or not, but I brought them just in case.

"Yea, thanks Daniel I think I could use some right now." She gladly took the proffered pills, and then eased herself back down. Jack noticed her expression, "So Carter, what's the latest damage?"

"Nothing much Sir, just the ribs seem to be a bit more sore." Sam answered.

Jack didn't believe her, and gave her a knowing look. "Yea, I'll bet, you were thrashing around quite a bit, Daniel and I tried to keep you still, but you do put up a good fight Captain, I'll have to admit. Not to mention we had to lay you on your back for a while."

"That explains it then." Sam replied.

"Explains what Carter?"

"Why my back feels the way it does, Sir."

Jack looked at her puzzled, and then leaned over her to get a better look at her back. "Carter, do you mind if I have a look at your back? "Why not you've practically seen everything else...Sir."

Jack motioned Daniel, who was by the opposite side of the bed to lift the back of her shirt. They noticed that some blood had seeped through the thick bandage.

"Carter, I think you've started bleeding again. I think maybe we should check."

"That's alright sir, it can wait for the next scheduled change." Sam said hoping to put it off as long as possible.

"Yea well Carter, that's one of my favourite shirts, and I don't want you getting blood all over it." Jack said jokingly.

Teal'c chose then to speak up, "O'Neill, I have seen many wounds of this nature, and it is normal for blood to seep through the bandaging."

"Thank you Teal'c" Sam said appreciatively.

"It is my honour to be of assistance Captain Carter." Teal'c responded

Sam had, had enough of this attention, and just wanted to be left alone. She looked and the guys and said, "Uh, I'm feeling a little tired, you mind if I get some sleep?"

Taking the hint, Jack answered, "Sure Carter, come on guys let give the Captain some privacy." They all slowly left the room, saying goodnight to Sam. Jack was the last leave; he took one last look at Sam before turning off the light, and closing the door.

"Ah, Jack do you think we should call Dr. Frazier?" Daniel asked.

"We'll see how Carter's doing in the morning; the pills should help with the fever and pain. Other than that, there's not much she can do. Let's just give Carter some time, that's all she needs." Jack hoped that was all Sam needed. He didn't know what else to do for her, to help her through this ordeal. "Ok, one of us should be up throughout the night, in case she needs something. Daniel you take first watch I'll take second and Teal'c you can have the last. Oh and Daniel don't forget about the meds at 11O'clock." Jack said as he headed towards his bedroom. Teal'c went to rest or (kel noreem ) in Jack's second guest room. Daniel stayed in the kitchen (it was closer to Sam's room), and read a book.

Jack was on the second hour of his watch, everything was quiet, and he was somewhat bored, he didn't want to have the TV on, and his eyes were too tired for reading. Jack startled, he thought he heard something, but wasn't sure. There it was again, was someone mumbling, he headed for Sam's door, he could just make out her voice, she sounded distressed. He opened the door slightly, letting a ray of light in, falling on Sam's face. He could see she was dreaming, or having a nightmare, he could just make out a word here and there, "No more" and "make it stop ", were more than enough for Jack to hear, before he found himself sitting next to her on the bed and gently rubbing her shoulder. "Carter, come on wake up." He shook her shoulder a little harder. She sprang up quickly, throwing her fist in his direction, luckily for him he was able to move out of the way before she could make contact. However, he ended up lying on the bed beside her. She grabbed her side and looked down at Jack, even though she was in pain, she couldn't help but grin at the look on his face. "Carter, are you trying to assault a superior officer?" Jack said, as he sat back up.

"Sorry Sir, she said half laughing while grimacing in pain.

"I'll let you get away with it this time, as long as next time, it happens in the ring."

She gave him a puzzled look, "The ring Sir?"

"Well I saw how you fought Turgan, I thought I maybe you'd like to give me a go in the ring. I think you may be a good opponent. Your fighting skills are obviously above par."

"Well, I don't know about that Sir."

"I do, there's no one else I'd rather have watching my six, and backing me up." Jack noticed Sam flinch at that statement. Now he was sure he knew what was bothering her, but he had to figure out a way to make it better for her and the rest of the team. "So you want to go back to sleep?

"Actually, I think I'd like to get up for a while, I've been in the same position for a while." She went to throw the sheet off her, when she remembered; she didn't have her sweat pants on. She started looking around, when Jack realized what she was looking for. He bent down and picked up the sweat pants off the floor, he was about to hand them to her when he realized it would be difficult for her to bend over to put them on. He moved to the foot of the bed, pulled the sheet up slightly and slid them on her, up to her knees. "I think you can handle the rest." Jack said with a small grin on his face. He turned his back to allow her some privacy.

When she finished, she went to stand next to him. "Ready" She said. They turned to walk out the door, Sam felt a little dizzy, and lost her balance a bit, but Jack was there with a steadying hand. He helped her walk to the kitchen, and pulled a chair out for her to sit on.

"Would you like some tea or something?" Jack asked.

"You actually have tea Sir?" Sam joked.

"I am a man of many tastes and talents." Jack said with a gleam in his eye. Sam coughed a bit trying to bite back a laugh. Oh, she wondered what kind of talents he had. "So Carter, something to drink?"

"Ah yes, tea would be fine, thank you sir."

Jack moved about the kitchen making tea for two. He brought the cups to the table and asked Sam if she'd be more comfortable on the couch. She agreed, and they moved to the living room. Jack gave Sam a pillow, and she rested leaning on the pillow against the armrest. The sun was starting to rise, and the two didn't notice Daniel or Teal'c going into the kitchen. "So Carter, tell me how you really feel about what happened on the mission, and I want you to speak freely, don't worry about rank, I just want honesty right now." Jack said taking a sip of his tea.

Sam shifted slightly, wincing as she did, and then looked up at Jack. "Well Sir, when we first encountered the Shavadai I thought we should leave, I didn't feel comfortable after learning how they treated women on that planet, but I felt as a soldier, I should buck it up and not put the mission at risk. I didn't want my being a woman to be held against me, and give you a reason to pull me off the team. I know how you feel about having women in combat." Sam took a long sigh, and then took a sip of her tea. She noticed Daniel and Teal'c had entered the room and taken seats, remaining silent as she talked.

"I'm so sorry Carter that I made you feel that way. " Jack said, with a guilty look on his face. "There's no way I would pull you off the team, ever."

Sam looked Jack in the face, the look on his face told her she could believe him, but she still had to get the rest off her chest. "I was angry that Daniel suggested I wear that blue dress, and you agreed with him. Then when you guys went out to celebrate and learn from the locals, I felt somewhat... abandoned." Sam had to take a calming breath, as she looked around at the guilt ridden faces. She began again, while holding her cup and rocking slightly back and forth. "Then that night..." She held her breath, and looked down.

"It's okay; just tell us in your own time Sam." Jack said in a very gentle voice. This was painful for all of them, but they had to know everything, if they were going to be able to function as a team again. Daniel got up from his seat, and sat down next to Sam. He put his hand on her forearm and gave her a gentle squeeze.

Sam continued to stare at her cup, took a deep breath and began to talk. "That night, when the knife was held at my throat, I have to admit I was scared. I didn't know what to do. I thought if I fought, it wouldn't last long, one move of the knife and I'd be dead. I didn't know where my back up was, and felt I was all alone. Which by a matter of fact I was." Sam finally looked up from her cup at the faces around her they looked shocked and hurt.

The three men sat in silence, each feeling their own guilt as they listened to Sam continue. "After I was bound, gagged and put on the horse, I had a lot of time to think. I was angry at the situation, at myself for not being able to help myself, and... you guys." She took another deep breath, put her cup down, and started wringing her hands. "I am a soldier, and one of the first things I ever learned was how important it was to watch your fellow soldier's back when in the field. I was angry that I was abandoned and no one was watching my six." She started to show her anger now, her voice rising, and face turning slightly redder. "I was wondering where the hell is my team! They should be here! Not leave me alone on another planet, we knew nothing about." The last part she said quieter, with tears starting to form in her eyes.

Daniel was beside himself, feeling guilt and hurt for what he put her through, he squeezed her arm gently once more. Jack moved to the chair that was situated next to Sam, and laid a hand on the top of her shoulder. Teal'c remained seated, but felt guilt also. "Please continue Captain Carter." He said in a voice unnaturally quiet for him.

Sam took another deep sigh before continuing. "When I was at the camp and being sold...I never felt so angry and scared in my life. I thought I was going to be ... be ... Oh God, I can't even say it." Sam said crying and burying her head in her hands.

Daniel had tears in his eyes, as he moved to pull her closer so her head was resting on his shoulder. He stroked her hair gently, and whispered, "It's ok now" in her ear. Jack also had to wipe away a tear that had formed in his eye. Teal'c looked down at the floor.

"Carter, Sam, I know this is hard for you, but if you can, would you like to continue?" Jack said softly and he handed Sam a tissue.

Sam reached for the tissue and wiped her eyes and nose. "I'll try Sir. I'll just jump ahead a bit, if that's okay with you?"

"It's fine, start where ever you'd like." Jack said.

"I tried to escape, because I didn't know how long I would be there, or if any back-up was coming. When I was caught and brought back to Turgan, he asked me if I cared for no one but my self, because the women who were responsible for me had to be punished. I felt responsible for this and couldn't let that poor woman be beaten because of me. I took the beating instead. I thought it would never end when he was whipping me. I tried not to cry out, and be the brave soldier. It seemed the more defiant I was, the angrier he got, and would whip me more. But I was so angry I couldn't give in. He finally gave in and stopped. He told the other woman to get me cleaned up for later that...night." Sam's voice trailed off, and again she looked down at her wringing hands. This time O'Neill reached out his hand and gently put it on Sam's arm.

"The time I spent waiting with the other women, waiting, I was trying to figure out how to get out of there, and if I did, what would happen to them. I did feel relief when I heard the gun shot and I knew you guys had finally showed up." Sam was much calmer now.

Jack was the first to speak, "Sam, I don't know how to tell you how sorry I am. I know Teal'c and Daniel feel the same way." Jack looked at the two men, who both nodded in agreement. "I have to take full responsibility for this, I was in charge, and the decisions fell upon me."

"You can't take all the blame Jack; it was my idea to have Sam go along with the customs of that planet. If I just listened to you, Sam, when you wanted to go back, none of this would have happened." Daniel said, as he bowed his head in shame.

"I too have failed in my responsibility to ensure the safety of my team mate. I must ask your forgiveness, and assure you, I will not allow this to happen again." Teal'c said solemnly

Sam looked at her team mates, as they each apologized, by the looks on their faces; she knew they really meant it. "Look, I know you mean what you say, but I just feel like, you all let me down. I don't know if..."

"If you can trust us again." Jack said interrupting Sam's train of thought. Sam's head shot up, and she straightened her posture. "You don't know; that if in another similar situation, we'll be there to watch your six. You've been there for us, watching our backs, and we let you down." Jack stood and walked to the sliding glass door. He turned back around to face Sam. "Look Sam, you've been one of the best soldiers I've served with, male or female. You've proved yourself on the field and have nothing left to prove. I however have proved to be a CO that you can't depend on, or trust." Jack came and sat down on the coffee table in front of Sam. He took her hands in his, "I hope to God, that I can win back your trust. I don't know how, but I just hope I can."

Sam looked from her hands in the colonels hands, to his face. She could see the hurt and pain in his eyes. She started to think that maybe she could trust him again, to give him another chance. "Well Sir, there is something you could do for me."

"What ever it is Sam, just name it." Jack responded.

Sam took a deep breath, looked Jack in the eyes, and said," Next time the situation calls for a blue dress..."

"Yes" Jack replied.

"That you make Daniel wear the dress." Sam said with a devilishly smile.

"Done "said O'Neill with a wide grin, as he, Sam and Teal'c looked at Daniel who was blushing.

Sam started to stand; Jack stood up and gave her a hand. "Now if you don't mind, I think it's time for my bandages to be changed. I could use some help if you don't mind."

With that all three men were now standing, and had smiles on their faces, as they followed Sam to her bedroom. Oh yea, things were starting to look better Jack thought.

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to MandySG1