Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Not a Day Goes By

by Joker
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Not a day goes by

Not a day goes by

by Joker

TITLE: Not a day goes by
AUTHOR: Joker
EMAIL: j_o_k_e_r_95380@yahoo.com
CATEGORY: Angst, Song/Filk
PAIRING: Sam/Jack
SPOILERS: none
SEASON / SEQUEL: 4/Sequel to Read My Mind.
SERIES:
RATING: G
CONTENT WARNINGS: none
SUMMARY: Jack's thoughts and feelings on the matter at hand.
STATUS: Complete
ARCHIVE: Heliopolis
DISCLAIMER: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. We have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the authors. Not to be archived without permission of the authors.
AUTHOR'S NOTES: My second attempt.The song is by Lonestar I heard it and got an idea. There will be a third part. Would love feedback, good, bad, some pointer or tips whatever.

I t had been a three months since the testing and things and the SGC had gone back to normal, almost. There were some things that couldn't quite go back to normal. Some relationships changed forever that day. His words to his 2IC had changed the way people now viewed them. He hadn't admitted what he really wanted to say, that not only did he care for her but loved her very much. He knew he couldn't do that, their careers and lives would change drastically and he wasn't even sure that she felt the way he did.

**Like someone like her could possible fall for a guy like me, ** Jack thought as he closed the door to his empty fridge. He grabbed the keys to his truck and was almost out the door when the phone rang. " Hello," Jack said.

"Hey Jack I'm going for a bite at O'Malley. You want to come?" Daniel asked.

Jack thought a moment as he looked toward his empty fridge. "Yeah, sure. I'll meet you there." He replied.

As Jack pulled into the parking lot he spotted Carters car. " Ah, Nuts." Jack said out loud. **Daniel didn't mention her coming along. ** Jack turned his truck off and sat there for a minute. He thought about the last time they had all been out together and had a good time, the party three months ago where he and Carter got to dance. He smiled at the memory of the way Sam just so happened to fit perfectly in his arms. He also remembered wishing he could tell what was going on inside her head. They hadn't talked much about the testing, Marty or the confessions they both made. They had promised to keep it in the room and that's what they did. He wished that he could just tell her that he was in love with her and that there wasn't a time that he hadn't thought about her or the possibilities, he just shrugged the thought out of his head, got out of his truck and went in.

He saw Janet, Sam, and Daniel sitting at a table in the corner. Daniel was waving him over. Janet and Sam seemed busy talking up a storm. He went and sat down with them and said, "Evening Ladies, thanks for the invite Danny." " No problem Jack, we were just about to order." Daniel said. The waitress handed Jack a menu he scanned through it, " Big juicy steak sounds good, and a baked potato." he told the waitress. " Excellent choice, Sir" Sam said.

"Thanks." he said smiling. " Hey Danny how about a game of pool while we wait." Jack asked. "Aw Jack come on you beat me every time, what's the point?" Daniel said " That's the point, to beat you come on." he said getting up from the table. Soon Daniel gave in and finally joined Jack who was chalking his cue stick and staring at Sam. "You know if I recall correctly you once asked if I wished I could read someone’s mind." Daniel said causing Jack to break off his stare. " Yeah so? What's that got to do with anything?" Jack asked racking up the balls.

Picking a cue stick Daniel replied," I don't know Jack the way you been staring at Sam I kind of wonder if that's what you are trying to do." Taking his shot Jack said," So what if I am?" The balls clattered around but none went in. "Damn, your turn." Jack said. Daniel leaned down, took aim and shot, his ball rolled easily into a corner pocket. He took aim again as he asked," What are you trying to figure out Jack? If she loves you too?" " Loves me too? I didn't say I loved her," he said once again looking in Sam’s direction.

Daniel smiled and said." Jack you don't have to I know you love her and I think she feels the same way." "What?" Jack asked as his ball missed the pocket. "Why don't you ask her? I know it won't be easy but at least you'll know." Daniel told him. "She could say she doesn't love me and I don't want her to feel awkward around me because it could ruin what we already have." Jack explained as he sunk a ball into a side pocket. Daniel frowned at his friend and said." I'm sorry I can't help you." Jack shot at another ball and missed then told Daniel," Don't worry about it Daniel I'll find a way."

Janet came walking over and informed them that their meals had arrived.

As they ate the joked and talked and when the meal was through they sat back and relaxed. Jack glanced over at Sam and their eyes met. " Hey Carter how's about a dance?" He asked. " Sure." She replied getting up. They headed for the dance floor and Jack went over to the jukebox and picked out a song. He popped the money in and made his selection. He walked back to Carter and she smiled as she wrapped her arms around is neck. He placed his arms around her waist, as the slow melody began she rested her head on his shoulder. Jack smiled as he thought ** See she fits perfectly. ** The country song played as a man sang the words Jack wished he could say.

Got a picture of you I carry in my heart

Close my eyes to see it when the world gets dark

Got a memory of you I carry in my soul

I wrap it close around me when the nights get cold

And if you ask me how I'm doing I'd say just fine

But the truth is baby, if you could read my mind

Not a day goes by that I don't think of you

After all this time you're still with me it's true

Somehow you remain locked so deep inside

Baby, Baby Oh Baby not a day goes by

I still wait for the phone in the middle of the night

Thinking you might call me if your dreams don't turn out right

And it still amazes me that I lie here in the dark

Wishing you were next to me, with your head against my heart

And if you ask me how I'm doing I'd say just fine

But the truth is baby, if you could read my mind

Not a day goes by that I don't think of you

After all this time you're still with me it's true

Somehow you remain locked so deep inside

Baby, Baby, Oh baby not a day goes by

Minutes turn to hours, and the hours to days

Seems it's been forever that I felt this way

Not a day goes by that I don't think of you

After all this time you're still with me it's true

Somehow you remain locked so deep inside

Baby, baby, oh baby not a day goes by . . .

That I don’t think of you.

The song slowly came to its end, " Wish it was that simply." Jack mumbled.

"Sir?" Carter asked letting him go. ** Crap, said that out loud didn't I? ** Jack thought, he then said," Nothing. Thanks for the dance." "My pleasure." She told him and they walked back to the table. They notice as they approached the table that Daniel and Janet were both smiling. "What's with the smiles? " Sam asked. " You guys look so good together." Daniel said smile still on his face. "Thanks Daniel." Jack said glaring at him. " Well I guess I'm off. We have an early mission briefing tomorrow morning." Sam said grabbing her purse. " Yeah me too. Good night sir, you too Daniel." Janet added. " Night Doc." Jack said. " See you tomorrow Janet." Daniel told her. " Good Night Sam." Jack said. Calling her by her first name caught her attention. " Good night to you too. Thanks again for the dance." she replied then the two ladies went out the door and into the parking lot.

" So you any closer to reading her mind?" Daniel asked. Jack looked at him and said," Daniel I barely know what's going on in my own head right now." " Well you know you love her right?" Daniel asked knowing the answer. "That's about all I know." Jack told him. "I guess till you can tell her you do that's all you need." Daniel said trying to comfort his friend. As they headed for the parking lot Daniel said," One more question." " What's that?" Jack asked not liking were this might be heading. "Do you still regret promising to keep it all in the room." Daniel finally asked. Jack patted Daniel on the shoulder and without hesitation to think said, " Not a day goes by Danny, Not a day goes by." With that Jack hopped in his truck waved goodbye to Daniel and headed home alone.

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Joker