Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Proposal

by Jojo
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Proposal

Proposal

by Jojo

Title: Proposal
Author: Jojo
Email: randomleaves@yahoo.co.uk
Category: MissingScene/Epilogue, Romance
Episode related: 603 Descent
Season: Season 6
Pairing: Sam/Jack
Rating: PG
Warnings: none
Summary: You MUST read Engaged first - that's archived on Heliopolis as well. PROMISE me you will? Please? I know it sounds weird, but go read Engaged first.
Sequel to: Engaged
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).

Read my fic and my website: www.geocities.com/randomleaves/

*

*

*

''Dad, the door's closing behind us!''

''It's a security measure,'' Jake said across the radio. ''All doors are sealed around the breach. I'll try to open it from here.''

Jack looked down at the ground wearily, watching the clear, icy water run over his boots. He realised he should have seen this coming as soon as he'd seen the water leaking out across the ground. Of course the doors would seal around a hull breach. Of course they would be trapped inside a room rapidly filling with water. Of course.

He sought for something to say to her, looking so pale and worried as she was. Something reassuring. Nothing came to mind but, ''Bit chilly.''

She gave him a vague look, distracted as she was by the rising water level. Then she depressed her radio switch. ''Dad, how's it going with that door?''

''It's gonna take some time.''

Of course it was.

Frustrated, Sam waded over to the controls there were within the room. She started doing her thing, pulling out what she could and examining it. Earth technology Jack could pretty much get to grips with. But Goa'uld? Pretty crystals all in a row? How was that gonna light up your house?

''Well this is fun,'' he murmured.

''Why do we always get stuck in these kinds of mess?'' Sam demanded, shoving a crystal out of place viciously.

''I don't know. God, this is cold.''

''Sorry, sir, I can't bypass the system locally,'' she said in tones of immense frustration.

Enough was enough. This water was really cold, no exaggeration. He was having flashbacks to Antarctica, it was that cold. ''Jacob?'' he called into the radio.

''Yeah. Without the proper codes I can't access the security programme.'' There was a pause while Jack tried not to think about just how numb his feet were and just how fast that water was rising. ''I'm gonna try and find a back door to the programme.

''How long's that gonna take? I'm looking at some major shrinkage here.'' He raised his eyebrows at her and she smiled faintly.

''I don't know. This is kind of a unique situation. Give me a few more minutes.''

Jack looked at the water that had risen waist high. Oh yeah. A few minutes. Fine. Dandy. Just perfect.

He looked over to Carter again. ''How long do you think this is gonna fill up?''

''Few more minutes.''

''Yup.'' Just what he'd thought.

They started taking off the clothes.

''Well,'' he managed as his weapons floated off, his feet were exposed to the icy water, ''this is romantic.''

She rolled her eyes very quickly. ''Yes, sir.''

He felt his feet leave the ground and guessed it was swimming time. He'd hated water exercises as a cadet and they hadn't improved with age. Getting your uniform off - never very easy in the first place - whilst half-drowning wasn't exactly simple.

Jack couldn't believe it. His mothership was falling to pieces all around him. Why did this happen to him? Why couldn't he keep a mothership intact?

God this water was cold.

''Next time we crash our brand new mothership, what do ya say we do it in the tropics?'' he suggested.

Desperately trying to keep her head across water, Carter responded in her usual scientific fashion, ''Actually sir, it wouldn't make a difference. At this depth all water is ice cold.''

Well, he'd known that. Somewhere in the back of his mind it rang a bell. But that wasn't the point. It wasn't as if he was being serious. ''Shallower water, then, shallower.''

''Yes sir. I'll keep that in mind.''

He nearly laughed. ''Or we could just not crash at all. Be nice to keep our nice, new mothership more than a couple of hours.''

She half choked. ''Yes, sir.''

He started to float towards her. Not intentionally - the water was, after all, flowing in from behind him. It was the current that was pushing him towards her. It wasn't as if he deliberately wanted to bump into her. Nope. Not at all.

''Carter, we're about to drown, do you think you could drop the 'sir'?''

''You called me Carter,'' she pointed out pedantically.

''Sam,'' he said, his mouth dipping into the water.

''Jack.'' She spluttered, coughed as she swallowed some water.

For a moment, Jack didn't feel the cold at all. He reached out and grabbed hold of her, trying to help her keep afloat. They drifted closer together. ''Hey, never say I don't take you nice places.''

One of her arms (deliberately? accidentally) sort of floated around his shoulders and neck. Her hand grabbed hold of his T-shirt. ''I promise. I'll never say that,'' she said, shaking wet hair out of her eyes.

Not feeling the cold at all now, which was either because he'd gone numb or because she was wet and really close to him, Jack grinned at her. They bobbed up and down together. ''So....''

''So...?'' she pressed.

''How long do you think we've got left?''

She glanced up at the ceiling. ''About a minute. Maybe less.''

Their heads started bumping the ceiling and Jack winced. ''God. Um, Sam?''

''Yeah?''

He let go of her to hold his hands against the ceiling and she copied him. ''How do you feel about marriage?''

She didn't even pause. ''In general or in reference to me?''

''In reference to you. And...'' God, why was he doing this now? Oh yeah, because they were drowning ''... me.''

''Oh.''

What kind of an answer was that? And how could he be nervous about what she was going to say when he was about to die? ''Oh?''

''I mean... I feel... pretty warmly towards it.''

She did? Wow.

''Right.''

He couldn't think of anything else to say.

''Jack?''

Jerking his thoughts away from the fact that she felt 'warmly' towards the idea, Jack focussed. ''Yeah?''

''Was that a proposal?''

He half-smiled, thinking she looked really adorable wet. ''I guess it was.''

''Okay, then.''

Okay then? Okay to what? To the proposal? To the fact that it was a proposal.

Ah, hell, they were gonna drown anyway....

''Sam?''

''Yeah?''

''Was that a yes?''

''To the proposal?''

She was winding him up. They were up to nose level with water and she was winding him up. She was perfect. ''Yes, to the proposal, Sam.''

She smiled. ''It was.''

Jack grinned. ''Right.''

Another wave of water moved them closer to the ceiling and he found his nose pressed against it. ''Your dad's cutting it pretty close......'' Then the water overwhelmed him.

*

The moment the water started to go down, all they could do was suck in breaths of air. She was aware that he was holding her up, grabbing her by the back of the T-shirt, and she loved that even after nearly dying he thought about her.

Of course... that may well have something to do with the conversation they'd been having before.

The moment her feet touched the ground, Sam breathed a sigh of relief.

''I'll second that,'' he said, still holding on to her. Slowly, he rose to his full height, a good couple of inches above hers. ''Ah, Carter...''

Oh God. ''Don't,'' she said quickly, closing her eyes.

''Sam...''

''Don't do that either.''

He reached out and gripped her hand. ''I meant it.''

One eye opened. ''You did?''

''What? You think I propose to women for fun?''

Well, no... ''You meant it,'' she repeated.

''Yes.''

''Oh.''

''Oh? Carter? Oh? Is that all you have to say?''

She laughed weakly, her lungs still strained. ''What do you want me to say? We can't get married, even if we wanted too. You're my CO.''

''I don't mean immediately!''

She blinked, looked down at their clasped hands, floating between them. ''Not immediately. So.. we're what? Engaged?''

''Depends.''

''What?''

''Depends on whether your answers still the same now that we're not dying.''

Was he kidding? Did he seriously think she would say 'no' to that? ''Of course my answers still the same. So long as your proposal stands.''

''It still stands.''

''Well, then, so does my answer.''

They stared at each other.

Holy Hannah, Sam thought. I just got engaged to my CO.

''Jack, Sam, come in.''

She let go of his hand and half-turned away instinctively, almost trying to protect Jack from her father. ''Dad, this is Sam. We're okay.'' Better than okay, actually.

''Thank God, Sam, you had us all worried,'' her father said, relieved.

''Tell him I take back everything I was thinking underwater.''

''Whatever you did,'' Sam said into her radio, ''it worked.''

''I didn't do anything, the security protocol erased itself.''

She frowned. ''Wait a minute, how's that possible?'' By itself? How? There was no way... Unless...

''I don't know.''

''Who cares?'' the Colonel said impatiently. ''Let's go.''

THE END

If you enjoyed this story,please send feedback to Jojo