Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Could the Day become more Bizarre

by JeanA
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Could the Day become more Bizarre

Could the Day become more Bizarre

by JeanA

Title: Could the Day become more Bizarre
Author: JeanA
Email: gmajca@fsmail.net
Category: Romance
Season: Season 5
Pairing: Sam/Jack
Rating: G
Warnings: none
Summary: Take the risk, get the regulations out of the way and Hey Presto
Sequel to: Straight Talking
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).

Could the day become any more bizarre ??

Major Samantha Carter woke up to the screaming siren of her alarm clock, this was highly unusual as she was normally awake well before it went off.

She sat up with a start , forgetting for a moment where she was. She was in her private quarters at the SGC. It was Tuesday and she started to slowly recall the events of the previous day, it had been her first day back after 6 weeks leave, she'd been introduced to her 2 new team members and ..........oh yes something else had happened ...... Jack had told her he loved her , and she had told him the same, and ......oh yes...the regulations don't stand anymore. Her head started going into a spin.

What on earth ( or any other planet for that matter ) was today going to bring.

As she approached her lab , Marines went sprinting past her from all directions , and she could hear the siren from the gate room which definitely indicated some sort of problem.

She arrived at the Control Room to find General Hammond and Tealc looking out to the Gate Room and there was Colonel O'Neill in battle gear and in fact battle mode.( Woa unexpected ) - SG-9 were also in the Gate Room and were obviously being briefed by a not too happy Colonel ,it appeared.

" What's going on General " said the Major

" Sorry Major , the Colonel will explain I' m needed in the infirmary " At this General Hammond went down to the Gate Room, had a few words with the Colonel and left for the Infirmary

" Tealc, What's happening here, why is Colonel O'Neill geared up to go out " " I am unaware of the reason , Major Carter , I too have just arrived. "

At this a stern faced Colonel O'Neill left and made his way up to the Control Room.

" What' s going on Sir ? , where are you going ? and why are you going out with SG-9 and for that matter where is Major Graham the CO ? "

" Hit it on the nail Carter, where is Major Graham the CO of SG-9 ?? ---- Ah , let me see --- In the infirmary after breaking his ankle dancing drunk on a table in the Mess Hall at 4.30am this morning, "

" OH. , right Sir ---- understood. So are you going out with them ? "

" I think so, -we've got a problem already with two SG teams. They left yesterday on 2 different missions , to 2 different planets and we've heard nothing from either of them "

" What no arrival signal Sir ?"

" No arrival signal , Major."

" Well if you can give it 10 minutes Sir, Tealc and I will come with you "

" Well, Tealc, is already coming but if the problem is what I think it is , I'll need you here to sort it "

" How dya mean Sir, "

At that the Colonel pulled a chair over to the control desk beside Major Carter and got out the sheet of paper he'd taken into her lab the previous evening. He then sat with her explaining that he thought the problem was purely a communication problem caused by the tolemetry alignment problem that he'd mentioned the day before, that somehow the signal wasn't getting through either way or in fact both ways as they weren't responding to Earth trying to contact them either.

" Hey , Sir - how did you figure this out ? "

" It was something you said a while ago on one of our missions , it just made me think that it could be the problem "

" But Sir, with respect, you don't listen to half the things I say "

" Well, Carter this must have been one of the HALVES I did listen to OK? And 'well ,it's not logical that 2 teams would be compromised at the same time on different planets especially when the MALP briefing was calm uninhabited surroundings. "

" I agree Sir , but its not as simple as you going out there, What if they can't dial back, what if they've been beamed up by something as soon as they got there, what if the radio signal not working, blocks the GDO signal from working, You can't just walk through and expect to turn a dial and fix it. "

" I don't , that is why I need you here.,Right , I have a plan. I intend to go through with SG-9, armed and prepared OK? I'll send the arrival signal ,I will then contact our team, as , once on the Planet, our radios should work , -- right ? " he looked at the major for reinforcement.

" She nodded , ----he was right , if the Tolemetry was the problem , once on the planet communications should be normal.

The Colonel continued,

" I will then dial in 30 minutes from arrival, I'll send the GDO signal and whether you get the GDO signal or not you will open the Iris at Zero 35 , Got it ??"

" Got it Sir "

"If that then confirms what we suspect , I'll do the same to the other planet, then you and Lieutenant Hayley can put your too brainy heads together and find the solution to the problem , Now , Follow me I need you in the infirmary with me "

Both walked quietly towards the infirmary,

The Colonels mood changed to a much calmer , softer mood,

" Anyway Carter, Good morning , how are you and did you sleep well, " He was smiling as if to say , business as usual , never a dull moment etc.

" Good morning to you Sir, I slept very well and isnt the SGC a very sobering place to work , it certainly focussed my head this morning "

" Why , what was wrong with your head , Major, "

" Oh , it was a bit fuzzy this morning Sir , I could swear I had this dream where I was sitting with the man I loved and could actually relax as there was nothing to actually stop me this time ??"

" Ah , Major , that was no dream, I happen to know the man you are talking about, and he's asked me to pass on a message to you to say that , all being well he'll see you this evening in the officers mess and that he is very much looking forward to it "

" Oh , ohOK ! If you happen to bump into him again , tell him it's a date "

They both laughed lightly and smiled broadly as they approached the Infirmary.

Work was going to be cool , thought Cater , to use a O'Neill-ism.

Mood Change!!

" Major Graham !" shouted Colonel O'Neill, " How the hell are you ? Has Doctor Fraiser patched you up OK ? " turning to Doctor Frasier " when will he be ready to be released from you care " There was a distinct hint of sarcasm and Carter cringed at the thought of what might be coming next

" Major Graham has had his leg put in a cast and he can be all yours now if you want Sir ."

" Right then Major, grab your crutches and follow me to my office . Major Carter, you will accompany me ! "

" Yes Sir ! " resounded in stereo from both Majors.

Colonel O'Neill got to his office first and Major Carter assisted Major Graham.

" Sir ! " Major Carter saluted the Colonel and stood to attention.

" At , ease Major " as the Colonel returned the salute

" Sir ! " Saluted a rather wobbly Major Graham.

" Stand to attention Major when I address you "

" Yes Sir !, Sorry Sir ! " replied Graham.

" You will be " replied the Colonel "

Major Carter couldn't help but feel a little sorry for Major Graham, and that may-be the Colonel was being just a little cruel .She also wondered why she was there.

The Colonel started,

" Major Graham , the charges against you are that you were Drunk on duty, knowing that you were on night duty and knowing that you had an early departure Off World this morning and that during your drunken brawl , you indecently verbally assaulted the Bar Waitress and broke not only your ankle but a table and 3 chairs in the Mess hall , How do you wish to respond "

" I have no defence Colonel, I was out of order. "

" You will report to my office again this afternoon at 4pm when I have time to fully read all the reports from the waitress and security , Is that clear ?"

" Yes Sir . "

" If for any reason I cannot be here at 4pm today , due to the fact that I am now doing your damned job for you and may end up Off World with your damned team , you will report to Major Carter here who will follow up the disciplinery action, Is that fully understood?? "

" Yes Sir "

" Dismissed Major "

The Colonel then turned to Major Carter and asked if she had a problem with dealing with this in his absence. She replied that she had no problem.

He then asked her to return to the control room as he had to report to the General and he would catch up with her later.

It was now around 12noon, Major Carter and Lieutenant Hayley had been working on the gate for about 2 hours , the Colonel had been right , both SG teams were fine and were unaware that there was a problem, they had checked in when they were supposed to, Earth simply weren't receiving transmission. The GDO also didn't work and the Colonel had entered the Gate room twice that morning from these planets to face 30 machine guns in his face , not the best morning for him, it was safe to say.

Major Carter called him to the Gate room.

" Colonel , Hayley has figured out how to fix this, we've corrected the problem here but you need to go back to these planets and help me finish it using the DHD. "

" OK, it's just as well I don't get travel sick , what do I need to do ?"

" Once you get to the DHD you need to press every glyph in sequence so that I can re-align them "

" Why can't it be done from here , for Crying out loud...?"

" Believe me Sir, if it could we would do it but , whoever has been messing with the dial out system while I was away deserves to be shot ! They'vecompletely interfered with the whole set up network ,- we've had to boot the system from scratch and I may actually need to power down the whole network tommorrow as the comlink to the Pentagon is also dodgy and if that's not enough...
........"

"Enough , Carter , it is enough ,--- you lost me at the part where you shot someone "

The Major smiled as she realised she'd gone off on one

A quiet " Sorry Sir , but it is so frustrating. "

" OK, I go off to these two planets and dial in every glyph in sequence and you line it up and that's us back in business. ? "

" Well , yes , I am more or less certain that this should correct the problem "

" How about you Lieutenant, Do you agree ? "

" Yes Sir, it should work "

Carter again smiled at the Colonels' deliberate attempt to involve Hayley , it was actually quite sweet of him, she thought. He caught her smiling and turned around quite pleased with himself.

Was this day ever going to get easier , he thought to himself , he would actually rather fight the Goaul'd than muck about with technology, but needs must.

He, Tealc and new member Jonas Quinn , spent the next 6 hours sorting out these DHD's successfully , thank goodness, and the GDO's were back in working order.

Major Carter worked with Hayley on the first one and left her to deal with the second planet. She then , as instructed proceeded to the Colonels' office to deal with Major Graham.

As was expected he was confirmed as breaching discipline and given an official warning on his file, his command position was also suspended pending further discussion with the Colonel as she was clear that as a Major herself she had no authority to take such a decision.

The Colonel eventually returned to Base at around 7pm, checked in to ensure that Major Graham had been dealt with, read the file with Carters ' report and smiled in satisfaction at how she'd handled it. Now to the Generals office to de-brief.

When he reached the Generals office , Doctor Frasier was there and asked him to report to the infirmary first , as she was concerned at the amount of in and out trips he'd had in the one day through the Stargate.

" Any ill effects Colonel "

" Nothing that a good drink won't fix . Dizzieness, double vision, headache, aching bones ....."

The doctor was starting to looked increasingly worried

" Only joking Doctor , I'm fine , just a bit disorientated and tired but I'll be OK after a shower and a beer. "

She checked his pulse , temperature and blood pressure and was satisfied that there was nothing unusual about how he was feeling , she released him to General Hammond.

The Colonel told Teal'c and Jonas to go shower and change and that he would handle the de-brief.

General Hammond was pleased that his Colonel was obviously firing on all cylinders and that already the new SG-1 was proving its worth..

Jack hadn't even thought about that but on reflection the team worked very effectively on their first day and sorted out what could have been a disastrous situation. He was pleased with how things had gone.

" How are things with the Major Jack ?" , asked the General

" I told you yesterday , things are fine and I think todays' events have confirmed this "

" I don't mean work Jack , I mean , well you know what I mean .."

" Sir , you couldn't possibly be suggesting , -----------how are things with my love life ??-------------- None of your damn business Sir , but thanks all the same for asking. Permission to leave Sir ??"

" Have you spoken to her about the regulations Jack ? ---Oh--- I need to know because if you haven't ,I will , as she has a right to know she has been discussed with the Chief of Staff "

" She had a right to know two years ago like I did , with respect Sir ! but that didn't make you tell her , did it ?"

" OK , Jack I know you're angry at that , but it's done and I can't change it and I'm not even sure that I would change it. You are my 2IC and I am not taking that attitude from you on duty or off duty so deal with it and get rid of the anger . You may leave now Colonel!"

9pm, where did the day go, God thank god for hot showers. I could just crawl into bed but I better go down to the Officers Mess and meet up with the rest of the guys.

When the Colonel arrived , everyone else was there including the General , Doctor Fraiser and Major Davies from the Pentagon. He had come down to assist Major Carter and Lieutenant Hayley with the finalisation of the alignments and fix the Pentagon Com Link.

Teal'c, and the General were deep in conversation, Doctor Fraiser and Major Davies looked cosy and Jonas and Carter were certainly having an animated , and entertaining discussion going by the hilarity coming from the corner of the room.

Jack went straight up to Teal'c and the General,

" Buy you a drink Sir ? "

" Yes Jack , I'll have one beer as I am on duty tonight , thanks for asking," He gave his Colonel a smile.

" Yes , Sir , we can't have you dancing on the tables this evening "

Both men laughed as the pressures of the day began to ease.

" Anyway Jack, about that chat we didn't have earlier, you're right , it's up to you but you'd better be careful , you're new man Quinn seems to be right on the Majors wavelength , you've may-be got some competition there, "

Jack looked over, both Sam and Jonas were leaning very much towards each other , chatting away furiously.

" Ya think ??" said Jack and continued his chat with Tealc and the General paying no attention to what was or wasn't going on with Sam and Jonas. He knew wasn't and that was all that mattered.

At that point he did look over and at the same time Sam glanced over at him and both just smiled quietly and carried on their conversations,

Oh, yes thought Jack as the smiled melted right through him, Nothing to worry about.

The General left and Jack and Teal'c joined Janet and Major Davies and they talked about the new team , the selection process, Jacks hard work, his bust up with Carter, how they were working fine together , Janets' terrible love life or lack of it, -- Jack was supposed to be interested in Janets love life - but never was . He had perfected the art of looking interested when he was actually sound asleep or daydreaming off somewhere else.

The evening was going on and he did want some time with Sam, -------------------if possible.

Just as he was about to gatecrash their conversation, he saw Sam excuse herself and go to the ladies.

Janet saw him look at Sam as she passed,

" Looks like you've definitely missed that boat Colonel , Jonas appears to have made a big impression "

Jack just looked at her as if she'd just grown horns , how was it that the regulations meant that they couldn't be together but every Tom , Dick and Harry had a right to make assumptions , when they both clearly kept their distance, It was SO out of order. Boy ! , would they all smile on the other side of their faces when he and Sam had a proper chance to sort this out.

Sam came out of the Ladies and joined the group, signalling to Jonas to join them.

Subtle , thought Jack, she really was the clever one. He would have ended up in there with a sledgehammer.

She maneouvered herself to the seat beside Jack at the bar.

" Hi , you " he whispered into her ear.

" Hi , you " she whispered back

" Sam , we are never going to get any time alone tonight "

" That was just what I was thinking, hey! what's worse than being in love with someone and not being allowed to act on it ? " she then answered her own question " Being in love with someone, being allowed to act on it and not being able to do anything about it "

They both burst out laughing

All the group turned and stared at them,

" Sorry , private joke , folks , " they giggled stupidly , alcohol induced giggling might I add.

Janet noticed that they appeared to be getting closer and closer, and that at one point they were whispering into each others ear and it was coming across as very intimate , Trust Janet.

" Hey Colonel , have you two got problems with your hearing that I should know about "

He drew her a look,

"Sam , you know I am absolutely bushed, I mean I have been round the universe and back a few times today, I seriously need to get some sleep."

" Joking aside, you look shattered Jack , I'll walk you to your quarters "

" Thought you'd never ask "

Jack excused himself and told the team to enjoy the rest of the evening but not to overdo it. He and Sam left the room.

" I'll be back in a few minutes, just making sure the Colonel finds his way home. "

This time Sam saw Jack into his room , a mirror of the previous evening.

" It's not polite to invite yourself into a gentlemans room , mam "

" Oh , shut up and kiss me before I burst "

Jack pulled her towards him and they kissed , more passionately than the previous evening, a kiss that said that the tenderness of last evening was being overshadowed by pure passion. As Sam pushed closer to Jack and he pulled her towards him until he thought he'd break her in two, they both opened their eyes and pulled apart with a look of shear frustration.

She looked at him with pleading eyes and he said, " Too much to drink Major, It ain't going to happen here, especially with the whole of SG-1 waiting for your return , You know something , when we eventually manage to get it together its either going to be fireworks or a damp squib"

She looked at him like a scolded child.

" Spoil sport , --have you any idea how much I want to be with you Jack , how much I need to be with you ,

" Oh , I think I have a very good idea Sam , a very good ide........."

Before he could finish his sentence she had put her arms around his neck and planted another kiss on his lips, God the smell of her perfume was totalling disarming his sense of reason, but he just knew neither of them would want it to be like this and they would have plenty of time in the not to distant future to deal with things properly. However it was really good to see a passionate Sam that he'd never got a glimpse of before.

"Sam , I love you , and want you more than you could know but I am now going to put you out this door and point you in the direction of the Officers Mess. No wait , hold on a minute, "

Jack went to the phone,

" Officers mess "

" Hi, it's Colonel O'Neill, can I speak to Teal'c please , ---------------HI Teal'c , could you please come along to my quarters immediately, I need your assistance "

He then went back over to Sam and took her into his arms and gently kissed her forehead and whispered

" I love you Sam , see you tommorrow , and don't let that young , handsome , Quinn, sway you , I might get jealous "

" No chance !!, love you Jack, see you tomorrow , ehm, it's just as well one of us can keep us on the straight and narrow , thanks . "and by the way it better not be a damp squib" her eyes were dancing with mischief.

" Shhh, Ah Teal'c , could you please escort the Major back to the Officers Mess "

" But of course O'Neill "

Teal'c Knew what was going on with Jack and Sam and was the soul of discretion and had already told Jack to get his life sorted out no matter what the regulations were, he was obviously pleased that there now was a good chance that they would.

The next few days went bye rather routinely, no unauthorised Gate activations and Carter and Hayley got all the work done on the Stargate.

Evenings were as Tuesday evening, a few drinks, a few chats etc and they were increasingly difficult for the Colonel and the Major, but it was Friday, they'd made it ,----------last day on duty until their Off World Mission on Monday.

SG-1 was being dismissed after lunch but as usual the Colonel had to de-brief an SG team on it's way back in.

Is this agony ever going to end ??? , thought Colonel O'Neill.

Of course if he took his stubborn head off and came clean with the General he would be allowed to leave but that was too sensible, wasn't it.

Just then a knock came to the Colonels', office door , and a familiar blonde head popped round it ,

" Come in Major " said the Colonel .

There she stood in her civvies , ready to go home , was life ever going to be fair ?, he thought.

"I just dropped by to see when you would be getting off duty," said Sam with a hint of disappointment in her voice.

" Well , short of me going through the Gate and dragging them back , I haven't a clue , but I do expect it to be sometime this century "--- oh, oh , sarcastic Jack is back.

" Permission to speak freely Sir "

" Granted , Sam "

Sam then slumped on the chair in front of the Colonels desk and sighed

" When is this agony going to end, Does someone up there not like us or something , I'm really beginning to get depressed. "

" Look, why don,t you go home and I'll meet up with you as soon as I can , I'll phone you when I'm leaving the base and we can go out for Dinner or something this evening, that way we can have a chance to have a decent talk and sort out what our next move is, you know there.'s a lot to be considered here , and we don't want to rush into anything "

" Sam , agreed " she got up and left his office and headed towards the surface.

On her way up she thought , ---a lot to be considered ?? ---- don't want to rush into anything ????, don't tell me he was having second thoughts ??
A feeling of panic ran through her. She had been pretty cool at the start of the week when he first explained things to her but she wasn't cool now, there was no way O'Neill was weedling his way out of this , NOT NOW .

Sam stopped at the supermarket on her way home and bought some provisions, she decided going out for a meal wasn't happening , Staying in was.

When Sam left his office , the Colonel picked up the phone,

" Hi , control board , could you put me through to the base Chaplin please , "

" Hello Colonel , I've been expecting your call , everything is organised , the paperwork has been authorised and the special licence has arrived , all you have to do is turn up and leave the rest to me , Good luck Sir "

" Thank you , I'll be in touch with the exact details ,"

Jack smiled as he put the phone down and made his way to the Majors' private quarters. He checked her locker , yes there it was , her dress uniform pressed and ready for whatever next official duty happened to arise at the base, he again smiled and returned to his office.

He was desperate to get home but knew that he couldn't make these arrangements with her on the base. He locked his office and headed for the Gate Room, SG-3 were on their way back.

The briefing lasted 1hour and half, no major issues, routine report , done and dusted.

He then left the base with an air of anticipation about him.It had been along time since he'd looked for ward to going home at a weekend.

He got home and changed into a smart pair of black trousers and a black shirt, pulled on his black leather jacket and picked up the phone.

" Hi Sam , it's me, I'm just leaving the house , pick you up in about 20 mins "

" Great Jack , I can't wait "

Jack arrived at Sams' house and she opened the door .,outstretched arm with a glass of wine in it. Jack took it and looked at her ----she was in the most flattering dress he'd ever seen her in, a simple little black number but it certainly accentuated her slim figure and long , long legs . His eyes nearly popped out of his head.

"" Sit down , dinners' almost ready "

Jack took off his jacket and followed her into the lounge where the dining table was set with candles and flowers, there was soft music playing and the lights were turned down low . He suddenly felt slightly on the back foot.

" I thought we were going out to dinner. Are you trying to seduce me or something , Major, "

Sam was in the kitchen , and Jack walked in to join her ,

"Excuse me but , we're both off duty in case you hadn't noticed and I don't respond to Major when I'm off duty , please try using my name , Sam or Samantha will be fine , and if you can manage that, I in turn will attempt to refrain from calling you Sir, or Colonel "

Jack put his hands round her waist and kissed the back of her neck , her legs almost gave way underneath her.

" OK , you're the boss , Samantha "

She turned towards him and they embraced with a tenderness that brought a tear to both their eyes, this was what it was about , just two people enjoying being with each other , this was a feeling that both of them never wanted to lose.

Jack poured another glass of wine for them both and they sat down to a pretty nicely cooked meal .

" Well , you cook as well as everything else, do you Sam ? "

" Certain things I cook , others are a disaster , tonight , it worked out , thank goodness, "

They adjourned to the sofa and snuggled up to each other listening to some soft music.

SILENCE ---- not an uncomfortable silence like before but a comfortable silence that was pleasing to both of them.Sam had never seen him so relaxed and chilled, it was a good feeling.

Jack looked at his watch , it was past midnight,

" Oh, well .it's late and it's been a long week , I suppose I'd better be going " he said with a really mischievous , cheeky glint in his eye .

" Oh, ya think ! said Sam " using one of his most sarcastic expressions.

She took his hand , pulled him off the sofa and led him to her bedroom just down the hallway.

" You , are going nowhere tonight Colonel O'Neill, we have some unfinished business to attend to , and that 's an order."

" Whatever you say Major Carter, "

At that they both adjourned to Sams' bedroom to continue where they had left off all week.

Next morning Sam was first to wake, she smiled quietly to herself as she felt Jacks arm around her, it had been worth the wait , they.d had the most romantic and passionate night , a night that she just didn,t want to end , but it was morning and the start of a new day.
She gently extrapolated herself from under Jacks arm and attempted to sneak out of the bed,

" Not so fast Major, " came a deep voice from behind " Did you really think you could escape my clutches without me noticing? Oh silly girl !. How many times have we spent the night out in the open? ( seperately of course ), how often have you seen me in a deep sleep ?, how often have you seen anyone up and about before me .......?????

" OK , OK, silly me , I just thought that may-be you were so exhausted that I'd knocked you out, "

"OH so not a damp squib then ? Get back here and keep me company , it's not as if you've got something urgent to attend to "

Sam snuggled back in , as she glanced at the clock , she saw that it was 10am , when was the last time she was still in bed at 10am ?, she honestly couldn't remember. It felt really good to have no plans for the day

Jack and Sam lay in bed for another half hour , both were comfy but realised that the day was wearing along and it would be good to get out and about together. She wrestled her way out of the bed knowing full well the Jack had given in to her and she giggled as she pulled on her old baggies and ran into the kitchen and put some coffee on. . Jack was close behind and started helping with the washing up from the previous evening.

" So Sam , how committed are you to this thing,??"

" What do you mean committed ? "

" Well how about we move in together ? We've wasted enough time , don't you think."

" Jack , I didn't peg you as the "Hows about we move in together kind of guy " AND Sorry but I'm not the "move in together kind of girl "

" I WANT THE WHOLE DEAL O'NIELL "

Jack got up from the kitchen table , muttering ," the whole deal O'Niell "

He went to his jacket pocket and took out a small box.

" Sit down Sam "

" Why ?"

" Just sit down "

Sam sat down and Jack put the small box in front of her.

"YOU want the whole deal O'Neill well how's this for a STARTER CARTER?? "

She opened the box and there was the most delicate ring, wedding band with small diamonds set into the band, sparkling up into her tear-filled blue eyes.

" Sam , I want you to be my wife , I want you to be my wife now , I don't want to wait any longer , LTS , ( Lifes' too short ) , Just say you'll marry me,
Today , at the Chapel in the SGC, with the military Chaplin, the military papers are authorised, the licence is there . Just say Yes Sam ! "

Sam looked as if she would be unable to speak , she looked at Jack with glazed , wide , bright eyes , looked straight into Jacks' eyes that had a look of fear in them and opened her mouth and heard herself saying,

" YES "

Jack jumped round the table and picked her up , they were both shaking and both sobbing and laughing at the same time.

It was now 1pm, what happened to nothing urgent to do today then ?

All of a sudden Sam was running round worrying about , her hair, her make-up, what would she wear , her head was spinning.

Jack -stood her in front of him.

"Sam, today is about you and I making the ultimate commitment to each other, all we need is us, our dress uniforms are in our quarters, -not ideal I know ,- but I just want to marry you , we can plan a wedding when your dad gets back , have some friends , white dress , flowers , the lot then ,----let's just quietly get today over with for ourselves, I think after all this time we deserve at least that. "

" You're right, I can handle that , lets go to the SGC and get on with it , you're right nothing else matters and no-one else is important. "

They kissed tenderly and got into Jacks Jeep.

Jack phoned the Chaplain from his car and let him know that the wedding was definitely going ahead , the Chaplain congratulated Jack.

" Jack, does General Hammond know anything about this " asked Sam

" NO!! "

" Won't he be just a little annoyed "

" Probably , but I don't care , I just want to see his face when I walk in tomorrow and introduce you as my wife , which begs the question , SG-1 ---Colonel O'Niell, Major O'Niell, a bit confusing , don't you think? "

" Oh Jack, ---If you don't mind I think I would like to keep Carter at work."

" OK . I'm happy with that. I think it would be best all round , good , well that's another complication sorted out, this is going too well at the moment."

Just then they pulled up at the SGC. They checked into security and were met by Major Davies. " Colonel O'Niell , Major Carter , General Hammond is on the base and needs to see you in his office. Now! "

" As they went down the lift they couldn't think ,; why the General was on base , was something wrong ? How did he know they would be on base ? --, a feeling of doom came over them as they entered the Generals' office. "

The General stood up out of his chair,

" General , Sir , " said the Colonel and the Major standing to attention , and saluting, which was slightly amusing since they were in civvies .

The General didn't say at ease, so they knew they were in trouble.

" Do you two dare to think anything can happen on this base without me knowing ? Do you really think that my Senior Sfficers would keep things from me ? How often do you think that the Base Chaplain is on base on a Saturday ? I' m extremely unhappy that the two of you would think that I would let my best officers marry on base without being involved at some level. "

Jack and Sam were really uneasy as they really felt like saying that it was none of his business , but the mood he was in they kept quiet and just wondered what was going to happen next. The General carried on :

" Do you really think that I would let you both marry from your base quarters, Major , do you think that is a fitting way for you to marry my most Senior Officer . "

Jack opened his mouth as if to speak , but didn't actually say anything.

Sam looked a bit confused , Jack had given up standing to attention and was sitting down with his head in his hands --- this just wasn't happening.

The General went to the telephone.

" Doctor Fraiser , get up here immediately.

" Oh , God , What now " Said the Colonel.

At that , the door opened , and in walked Janet with a tray with champagne glasses on it, Tealc, followed behind, then Major Davies and finally Sams' Brother.

The penny dropped!!

Jack and Sam were speechless,again.

The General continued,

"You don't give a person much time to organise things , do you Colonel?"

Jack said nothing, he just looked on in disbelief,-- his day had appeared to be Hi-Jacked and he was going to just have to go with the flow.

" First of all , Major , you will get yourself ready from VIP room 1, Doctor Fraiser will assist you.Colonel you will use VIP room 2 ,- Tealc will assist you. When this drink is over Colonel you will not see Major Carter until the ceremony, as tradition dictates. You will then be informed when we your friends and colleagues are ready for you and we will attempt to give you a wedding fit for you military status. IS that understood ?? "

Both jumped to attention,

"Sir , Yes Sir "

Jacks legs were shaking , he almost fell over , Sam just looked totally bewildered. He smiled over to her to see if she was taking all this in , she nervously smiled back. She then felt it appropriate to introduce Jack to her brother , they shook hands and had a bit of a joke about the whole thing. Due to security her brother hadn't a clue where he was , he had been blindfolded etc and was just amazed at knowing Sam had found someone to be with - he got on fine with Jack.

Sam was then ushered gently out of the room and wasn't allowed any further contact with her future husband, --Jack just seemed oblivious and as he had decided , was going with the flow.

It was now 3pm and the ceremony was re-scheduled for 4pm.

When they reached VIP room 1- there were 3 white wedding dresses laid across the bed, Janet smiled and hugged her friend ,

" Oh come on Sam , you didn't think we'd let you marry in your uniform did you ? "

" I can't believe this is happening, did Jack organise this , does he know I'm not in uniform , how did you all know, when did you all know ..."

" Shh said Janet , enough questions, let's see which one suits you best , I know they'll fit you because I have all your measurements. "

As Sam tried on the dresses Janet answered her questions,

" Jack didn't know about any of this , he expects you to be in uniform, we knew because the General was talking to the Chaplain and had to give authority for the marriage to take place , he had to sign the papers, we knew on Wednesday as Jack had spoken to the Chaplain when he got back through the Stargate on Tuesday. "

Sam chose the most exquisite dress, plain , simple corset dress with flowing skirt and had little diamonties put through her short blonde hair,--- she looked stunning.

Back in VIP room 2 , a nervous Jack O'Neill questioned Teal'c the same way Sam had questioned Janet and kicked himself for not covering all bases, he'd just been anxious to get on with it, he thought that no-one would suspect him marrying Sam this weekend and just didn't think it through properly , But, the important thing was that she was marrying him and he was past caring what was now ahead.

It was 3.50pm

Jack left the room and was heading towards the lifts to make his way to the Base Chapel when Teal'c turned him round and walk him the all too familiar route to the Gate Room.

A knock at Sams' door , Janet opened it and there stood General Hammond in his Dress uniform ,

" Major , would you do me the honour of allowing me , in the absence of your father , to escort you to your marriage ceremony "
" Sam , hugged the General and said , I would be honoured Sir."

He escorted Sam towards the Gate Room, she was so confused , she didn't even notice until she was at the door.

" Em General ,, Where are we going ?? "

" Shh Sam " was the reply.

The Gate Room door opened and Sam couldn't take it in,

The room was filled with garlands of flowers ,there was orchestral music playing, there was a red carpet going up the ramp , and there at the top of the ramp was Colonel O'Neill with Teal'c at his side. He was framed by the shimmering light from the Gate itself as it was active , she had never seen such a breathtaking sight and she could feel the tears again coming to her eyes.

Jack looked down as she entered the door, his eyes nearly popped out of his head , who was this vision of loveliness coming through the door ,he was taken aback with the sight of Sam in white and felt as if he grew taller at that moment with pride. He smiled from ear to ear ,

At that a figure stepped out from behind the ceremonial soldiers who lined the ramp, and General Hammond softly handed Sam over to him , It was Jacob, her Dad., standing proud in his dress uniform . After all he was General Jacob Carter, of the United States Air Force.

Sam swallowed hard trying to hold back her emotion and hugged her dad.

" How did you know , What about your mission ? Oh dad thank you for being here, it means so much , its' so unexpected and so perfect . I've got the 3 men I love with me today , Jack, You and Mark. It just couldn't be any better." She smiled and her eyes sparkled with happiness.

" I don't leave until tomorrow , Jack sent a message through the Stargate, ------we'd talked ---Iknew it was on the cards, I'm so happy for you Sam . Jacks a good man and he loves you very much "

" I know , Dad , thank you ,"

" Now Sam I think we should make our way up that ramp as your groom is looking increasingly impatient. "

Sam suddenly realised that this were her moment, unexpected , yes , but she was about to marry Jack, and he was there patiently waiting. She stood tall, her eyes and her hair glistened in the blue reflection of the Stargate . A deep breath ..........

" Oh , he can wait , dad, take your time , a girl only does this once you know , and I want to savour it for a long , long time " she smiled with slight devilment.

" Good , girl Sam "

Jacob laughed at the relaxed , happy young women by his side and slowly walked her towards her new husband to be.

As Sam approached Jack , he could not believe how stunning she looked , Good God , he thought , Why is someone so beautiful marrying a clot like me .

Sam saw the far away look in his eyes. He looked so handsome in his dress uniform , she couldn't believe how well he suited his hat , she seldom saw him wear it . She was so proud to be marrying this well respected wonderful officer and she couldn't wait to be Mrs O'Niell.

" Hi , you look absolutely stunning , nice uniform " teased Jack.

" You don't look so bad yourself Colonel " smiled a radiant and relaxed Sam.

The ceremony was conducted by the Chaplain . Jack slipped the delicate ring on to Sams' finger, She returned the favour ( ?? Janet ) a simple gold band . He smiled in delight.

" I now pronounce you husband and wife . ---- You may kiss your bride Colonel,

Jack took Sam in his arms and kissed her gently , " Hello wife, he whispered"

" Hello , Husband , she whispered back "

A cool breeze wafted past the Colonel and the Major , as Jack looked up , it wafted back across the couple. They looked at each other and a warm glow ran through them , both whispered , Daniel , they looked down with a little sadness , but glad that even he had been able to share their day , they then composed themselves.

At that the Gate Room erupted , people were cheering , clapping their hands, the band was playing.

Jack and Sam turned to face everyone , still framed by the Stargate,

It was a fitting wedding for such a special couple.

They walked down the ramp to the congratulations of everyone.

A new life was just beginning.

Ist order of the day.

The Wedding Party was escorted by a Guard of honour to the Officers Mess where the room had been set up beautifully for a Dinner for the close friends and colleagues.

Jack and Sam were both pretty quiet as they were still in a state of shock about the whole thing. They hadn't even had time together to discuss it and hardly had had time to catch breath. However they looked relaxed and as was usual Jack was chatting with one group of friends and Sam was with another.

Jack looked over and caught Sam laughing and joking with Janet and noticed the ring on her finger, he then looked down at his own. An uncontrollable urge came over him.

He went over , grabbed Sam by the hand , whisked her out of the Officers Mess , whisked her into the SG-1 Common room , which of course was empty, turned off the security camera, and stood and looked at her , just taking in the lovely lady that was standing in front in front of him.;

" Whats' wrong Jack, why did you do that "

" Whats wrong , nothing , I just wanted you , Mrs O'Neill to myself for even 5 minutes. , I wanted to tell how beautiful you look, how , happy I am , how much I love you and how ,if someones pinches me now . I am not waking up OK. --------I mean , what about all this, Gate Room, Guard of Honor, Dress, Dinner, your brother , your Dad ----I mean , how did all this happen around us without us knowing. "

" Well you've got a cheek to ask, I mean , you organised half of it - the important half I may add - Your face was a picture when I came through the Gate Room, I just couldn't believe it "

They both kissed passionately and smiled at the thought of these people thinking so much of them that they would go to such trouble.

" I guess the General was making up for the last 2 years . "

" Yes , Jack and I think you could say that he has payed his debt, don't you ??"

" Well, may-be jus.........."

" Jack????"

" OH OK he's paid his debts , if you say so wife ! , Oh here that's another name I've got to call you, Major--Major Carter---Carter---Sam---Samantha--- Mrs O'Neill -----Wife, Oh I think I could have some fun with this in the future. "

" That's fine Jack, just you remember what the title SIR ! means and the tone , cause I only need that one word to sent shock waves through you ----OK???? "

" Checkmate !! SAM !!!, Jack squirmed as Sam poked into his ribs as she said it.

He just disarmed her by kissing her on the back of the neck , they were behaving like two teenagers and quite frankly they didn't care.

A few minutes later they decided they'd better rejoin their friends or they would probably send out a search party. Jack turned the security camera back on as they left.

Everyone turned to them as they walked into the room,

" What are you staring at , can't a guy have 5 minutes alone with his wife for crying out loud,"

Everybody burst out laughing.

The evening was very enjoyable , and a fair bit of alcohol was shifted between the guests.

The General called for a Staff Car to take The Colonel and his new wife home. Home to Jacks' house , where a team had been in and decorated the house with flowers and candles.

When they arrived , Sam stood at the front door, Eyes sparkling , Hair shining in the moonlight and white dress dazzling , almost florescent , she looked like an angel. BUT , she stood there with her arms folded as Jack opened the door.

" What ?? " said Jack , knowing full well why she was standing with her arms folded,

" Carry me ! ----Carry me over the threshold husband"

" But oh you know , my back , my knees , my ......"

At that Sam through her arms round his necked and Jack scooped her up into his arms and they kissed as he carried her over the threshold, into the lounge which didn't look like his lounge with the flowers and the candles. At that an SGC soldier passed him in his hallway and said ,

" Just lighting your candles Sir , Health and safety you know , don't leave flames unattended and all that , Oh and the best of luck Sir , I mean Sirs, Oh eh , I mean Mam , oh God I don't know what I mean but Good luck anyway."

Jack and Sam collapsed on to the sofa helpless with laughter, how much more bizzarre could the day get???

Jack then , in his best , black ops style cased the joint, pretending to be holding a gun,( Sam was in fits of laughter,) to check for any more surprises -- nothing --- just his /their bedroom,--- again adorned with flowers and candles , he smiled into himself and quietly called his wife to the bedroom to spend their first night together as husband and wife.

The day couldn't have ended more perfect as they melted into each others arms , out of sight of everyone . Just two people in love , loving each other .

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to JeanA