Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Links in the Chain

by JeanA
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Links in the Chain

Links in the Chain

by JeanA

Title: Links in the Chain
Author: JeanA
Email: gmajca@fsmail.net
Category: Romance
Season: future Season
Pairing: Sam/Jack
Rating: PG
Warnings: minor language
Summary: Jack and Sam's seperate lives push towards being together and climb the necessary obstacles
Sequel to: Pathways ( Part two of two)
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).

Links in the Chain.

The Colonel showered and shaved and changed into his daytime uniform. Navy trousers, shirt and tie , and smart bomber jacket. He managed to dress without disturbing the lovely lady lying in his bed. His heart was beating so fast ....What was The General going to say? He knew that he wasn't breaking any rules anymore but he and the General were very close and he valued his opinions. Sam woke just as he was leaving for breakfast.. A tired groggy , lovely soft voice.

" Morning Colonel ! "
" Oh ..sorry ...I tried not to wake you .........Morning." He went over to the bed and kissed her gently on the forehead. " I'm going down to meet The General for breakfast. Are you going to the Pentagon today ?" " Yes...but not until lunchtime.. I booked the morning off ." " Great....You wait here ..I'll have breakfast and then we'll get you back to your house so that you can get organised for work...OK?....I'll get room service to send you up some breakfast. "

" Thanks .....I'll come down with you ..if you like.." She had mischief in those eyes."
"Oh.....No...I think this is something I would prefer to go through with The General myself , thank you very

much ...I mean if we both walk in there together ..all he's going to think is that I've been at it with a married lady....not a good start ..so just you stay put ...Right?" " Right ....Sir!...he turned to look at Sam when she said Sir! " She was sitting in the bed , bolt upright with the sheets caught under her arms and trying to salute . He couldn't help smile from ear to ear."
"Drop the Sir ....Carter! " He said in his gruff voice. He went over to kiss her and then he left. She lay back in the bed with a happy and contented grin across her face ....she liked that ...he called her Carter . they were going to be OK.

" Good Morning General............Sleep well?" " Oh. Not so loud Jack and well no I didn't sleep too well , there were a couple in the room next to me doing some

pretty fine yelling at each other last night . .....What in the name of God were you and Sam arguing about"
" Well ...that's what I kind of need to talk to you about Sir.....Everything , I suppose we were arguing about.
everything. Why she left , why she didn't tell me , why she didn't take my calls , why she didn't see me when I
came looking for her , why she married Jo Faxton. Why she came to my room etc , etc, etc,....."

" Ho....Jack ..this sounds like pretty heavy stuff that I didn't know about. .Are you saying to me that you and Carter were having a relationship at the SGC , and that's why she left." "No.. Sir!...It was more like me and Carter WEREN'T having a relationship and that's why she left . You know it's complicated.. We did love each other, a kind of unspoken love , but because of the Regs we just kept it under wraps. It was difficult Sir, and I know I'm not one for following the rules but I wouldn't put her career in jeopardy and that was the way it was.
It got harder and harder as the years went on. Daniel died...I completely shut her out.....and she left." " Oh ...Jack this is giving me a headache..." " I thought you had one already this morning Sir, judging by your phone call last night " "What phone call ?"
" I rest my case....." oops sarcasm with a capital S. " So ...Are the two of you on speaking terms now and not yelling terms? What time did she go home at." " Ah...Sir.. General ! A leading question!" "Yes , we're speaking...No , we're not yelling .. and , well , she didn't go home....and before you take a convulsion...That's what I need to ...well want to talk to you about.! " "I'm listening.. Jack and it had better be good !"

"Right Sir ...I'll put it all in a nutshell for you...if I can !. I'm still trying to get my head round it. She's a very unhappy lady General...her marriage to Jo is over , they've been separated for almost a year and she's waiting for him to sign the final Divorce papers , which he is being a bit sticky about. He's been having a long term affair with a call girl , she's had a child to him. He married Sam to provide himself with an intelligent decoration to further his career. She misses the SGC, she's not crazy about having left the Military apart from the fact that there are NOW certain advantages. She hasn't spoke to her father for 18months. The only thing that has kept her alive up here is still being a part of The Stargate program.
She wanted to see me last night . I stood her up. She came to my room to talk to me , to tell me what was going on with her and that after all these years all she wanted was for us to be together. That's where the yelling kind of came in Sir. So we talked , and argued and I then nearly sent her home in my Staff Car...You can check if you like! I then realised that well Sir... I wanted to be with her also and I have wanted it for ..well since I can remember and well ....I guess , you can guess what happened."

The Colonels voice had tapered to barely a whisper and the General sat speechless.

" Ehm General ...I would really appreciate it if you would say something......Sir?"
" Jack...I don't know what to say .......Jack.., that must be the longest paragraph you've ever put together in a

conversation with me. You know ? What you and Sam do with your lives has nothing to do with me . You've no Military rules governing you both. I'm really honored that you would talk to me about this Jack . I will say when I saw you both in your room last night I did think .....Don't be stupid Jack she's a married woman but clearly that is not the case. If the two of you want to be together then....Do it . What are you waiting for Son! Life's too short , you know that. It seems to me that you've both wasted enough time and I'm sorry. I feel partly responsible ..You know Son.. You should have come to me ...I might've been able to help." " No ...Sir...then you would have been in a difficult situation. We handled it right at the time .It was just so damned difficult !"
" Are you serious, She hasn't spoken to Jacob for 18months? Jack!....Jacob has been over here. He's had a vacation at his house !"
" I know , but he was really pissed at Sam for marrying JO, and ultra pissed at her giving up the Military for him .. ..so they haven't talked ."
"Is Sam still upstairs "
" Yes! "
" Well , bring her back with us today ....I'll demand that she be assigned to the SGC to work on this Asgard program and we can contact Jacob and get this sorted out for her. " " Sir, She can't leave Washington until next week...Some final commitment thing with Jo........Ehm ...Can I have some personal leave Sir?"
" How much do you need Jack?"
" About a week "
" Will you return with the Major "
" No...but I'll return with Sam ! Sir " " Yes. You can have personal leave.....Take whatever you need . Teal'c and I will hold the fort for you " " Thank you. Sir....appreciate it "
Just then Sam came into the breakfast room , looking fresh and relaxed. She was wearing one of jacks shirts with her leather trousers, and she still looked gorgeous . " Hi . Guys . Talking about anything interesting? " The General got up and kissed her cheek and pulled a chair over for her. " Well Sam, probably the most interesting and enlightening conversation I have had with the Colonel here since I've known him. It's certainly the longest." She leaned over to Jack.
" Have you told him everything ?"
" Everything !"
She blushed ever so slightly. Jack held her hand under the table and squeezed it for reassurance. " I have to go home and get ready to go to the Pentagon " " I'll get the Staff Car to take you ." "No ..it's OK...I've asked for a cab ......Look call me when you get back to the SGC . I'll see what I can arrange when I get in today . Whatever happens I' see you at the weekend.. OK?" She kissed him affectionately , he kissed her back. Jack gave the General one of his DON'T SAY ANYTHING glances and she got up and left the table. " OK...... Speak to you later ! "
" You didn't tell her you've got leave ?" " No...not yet Sir !...but I will "
" So ...You know your leave doesn't start until after this mornings' meeting with the Joint Chiefs." "Oh.....damn.....drat.. I thought I was getting out of that one !" Cheeky, mischievous buoyant even.

At the meeting of the Joint chiefs The Lieutenant General was again honored for his work with the SGC. He was informed that he was to be awarded a Special Services Medal. They also discussed the arrangements for the On-Base work required for the new program and the equipment required. General Hammond needed to put his point forward. " Sirs. I see this project as being far more important than anything we have undertaken in the past and it is crucial for me that the strongest team possible be working on it." " We agree General , anything you need !" " Right ...I was concerned yesterday when Dr Faxton said that she would set the systems up remotely from the Pentagon. Now! I am not doubting The Doctors' abilities -quite the contrary. I want her at the SGC setting this up . I want her there on base to do it personally , I don't trust anyone else." " We are in total agreement with you General. We will probably spend a lot of money on airfares and time flying her up and down when something goes wrong. If my memory serves me well it will take some time for the systems to be bedded in even when they are up and running, What does she call it........?????? " Fluctuations in Planetary shift Sir. Their a bugger to work out you know " Said the Colonel smiling as if he knew what he was talking about. Actually in this case he did, it had caused so many problems in the early days. "The problem is General ....I don't know how the Doctor will feel about going down to Cheyanne... She 's always avoided it since she's been here. Not comfortable about going back for some reason." Jack knew HE was that some reason in the past "She's not in the Military now so we can't order her to go, however we will see that she is assigned and make it clear that it is a necessity .If we experience any problems with this we will let you know. Colonel ! ...... You know we should really call you General "
" Yea .. I know ...it just doesn't fit well with me.. Keep to Colonel during these sessions . If you call me General I won't answer you , I'll think you're talking to him." "Colonel , What about Captain Hayley . Won't she mind if Doctor Faxton is sent down to deal with this program." "I'll deal with that one Sirs!. Captain Hayley and Doctor Faxton have worked extremely well together in the past . They make a good team and with both of them on the base working on the program the work will be done effectively and efficiently. "
"OK Colonel last piece if business. We have had a request for one of our most decorated Officers to attend a Military Benefit Ball next Tuesday evening as Guest of Honor. It is on behalf of the Gulf War Victims and Families ,you were involved in the Gulf War yourself Sir?." " Yea, Don't remind me !"
" We want you to be that Guest of Honour " " Really?...but I hate Dances and stuff...." " Sorry General ...but it comes with the Rank! ....You will have to be GENERAL that evening " " Well...Thank you for the honour Sirs!" A hint of sarcasm , maybe? " Right General , Colonel , We will get onto the Pentagon and make our requests for your team .. Safe flight back to Cheyanne .. and See you next week Colonel at the Benefit Ball !"

The General and the Colonel strode across White House grounds in the blazing sunshine smiling to themselves. "Well Colonel . I think we handled that pretty well don't you?" "I'll say so!. Poor Doctor Faxton , being forced back to the bad old SGC !!!" The two men laughed as they made their way back to the Hotel. It was almost lunchtime and the General would be making his way back to Anderson for his 4pm flight. "Jack, about that personal leave .You now need to be at that Benefit Ball Tuesday and well it's pointless you coming back to base to fly back up .
Let's call it downtime , keep your personal leave for a more important time . I'll assign Teal'c and Jonas to other teams and get Hayley started on the Asgard work ." "Sure Sir ..If that suits you ...I don't mind swanning about Washington for a few days , staying in a luxurious Hotel and getting paid for it."
"Let's just say Jack...We probably owe you it, the time you spend on that base. It's good to see you in the sunshine , smiling and relaxed for a change."
" Thank You Sir. Feels good to me too!.. First thing I'm going to do today General is go shopping. If I 'm going to be her until next week I need a few things so , have a good flight...See Ya " He then ran off to change out of his uniform and go .....SHOPPING?????

Doctor Faxton had only arrived at work and she was called to the Joint Chiefs Office. " Good afternoon Doctor ! Take a seat , we have a problem we need to discuss with you " She was almost standing to attention.
" Yes Sirs , certainly Sirs ! Old habits die hard." The Joint Chiefs then launched into this big explanation of why she needed to go to Cheyanne to complete the work etc, etc, etc, . She cleverly put up all the valid arguments of why she didn't need to go etc , etc , etc .Until about 2 hours later

" Well Sirs.. If what you are saying is that you need me to go to Cheyanne and that is really non -negotiable then.. ..I mean I understand about the problems and I don't really want to be flying up and down it would be most inconvenient-----You're probably right ---The best thing would be to base myself there for a period of time . I'll go. "
" That's superb Doctor . When would you be prepared to go ? " Well I need to be at a Benefit Ball next week with my husband , and then I will need a few days to set things up at this end.. Possibly by the end of next week .I could go towards the end of next week." "We will make the necessary arrangements Maj.....Sorry .......Doctor.....You're ..... right ..old habits do die hard."

Sam never noticed the Staff Car parked in the car park as she went to hail a Taxi home. Just as she was about to hail for a taxi , she was tapped on the shoulder . She turned round in surprise , and her relaxed gaze turned to a stare full of HATRED. It was Jo ! ( The occupant of the Staff Car looked on with interest) " Good God ! Jo ! You startled me. What do you want? I told you to contact me through my Attorney ! Take you hands off my arms or you hit the deck"
" Sam !...I want to talk to you. I need to talk to about next week , before we meet up etc." Sam relaxed her aggressive stance just a little. " Can we go somewhere and talk ! "
" No! Jo! We can just stay here and talk , in the open where you like it as people will see us together , and if you don't want a nice headline in the paper tomorrow I would suggest you let go of my wrists and walk with me over to that bench to talk .....Got it !."
" Yes Maam! " Jo feigned a kind of Military salute thing, Sam drew him a look of sheer disgust ...a look that even made the Colonels' blood run cold as he observed this little piece of interaction. In a way he was pleased to be witnessing this. It reinforced all that Sam had told him the previous night, not that he doubted her . It just made him feel that bit more confident about his...their future. He also felt like going out and beating the crap out of Jo for hurting her but he was sensible and strong enough not to do it. He watched and listened as the car was close enough and it did have an operational parabolic microphone .( For Military purposes only , of course)

" OK Sam , We need to leave together from the house , so I'll come over in the afternoon" "No you won't!..........Pre-drinks are at 7pm so you can arrive at the house at 6pm and the car can pick us up at 6.15pm ...That's plenty time Jo and quite enough for me to have to put up with you !" " About that Sam!...I was wondering if you would be prepared to continue our little arrangement for just a while longer? I have a few Presidential appointments over the next few months and I could do with you being there with me....I'll still sign the papers for you but it will take about 6 weeks for the Divorce to be finalised and it would just give me that little bit more time to work out how I make the transition from Husband to Divorcee" " You shouldn't have any trouble with the transition from Husband , as you've never actually been one anyway . .and Divorcee ...Well that's your problem Jo...not mine. And ....Well...Sorry ..I can't help you out . I had a meeting with the Joint Chiefs today and I have been assigned to Cheyanne Mountain to set up a new System at the SGC. You know me ...I don't really want to go ...but ... .....hmmm...I've just got to , this time. It's a big project "
Jack could tell by the tone of her voice that she was actually toy-ing with Jo and enjoying it." Jo started to get angry .
" Bitch.. I need you to be at these appointments.. Oh God You ! You.! SGC....back to your COLONEL , I imagine !" "He's a GENERAL Now Jo "
" Oh ...a General...and how do you know that ?" "-- because he was at a meeting I was involved in at the White House yesterday" "Oh ...How Cozy! So did your heart skip a beat , did you run to his arms and declare your undying love for him " Jack could hardly believe his ears . It was obvious that Sam had never hidden her feelings for him with Jo....She really had been living a complete nightmare . " Jo...Grow Up . If I thought that you understood the meaning of the word love I would answer you but quite frankly you don't and I don't need to answer to you for anything. What I do with my life from now on is none of your damn business. I will be at that Ball next week because other people are expecting us to be there. After that you're on your own. If you sign the papers ...fine.....it you don't ...fine. Whether you do or you don't I don't give a damn . As far as I'm concerned we're not married and haven't been since we separated . The only person to lose here is you Jo. You should have sorted all this out before now , you should have laid the foundations with the people you are responsible to. This is not my problem and you're not going to lay the guilt at me ." " But Sam ..What about your.. I don't want to be alone stuff...this arrangement suited you ." " That's in the past Jo. I'm not going to be alone. I'm going back to the SGC to work with people that care about me , that have always cared about me .I should never have been here and I know that now ." " How dare you say that , you ungrateful ........Look at the home I gave you , the clothes , the money I've lavished on you "
"Wait a minute, Did I ask you to?....All this was for your benefit AMBASSADOR , not mine. You wanted to create that image foryourself.. I was part of that image , nothing else." " So . Where did Mrs self assured come from all of a sudden " " She's always been here Jo. She's just been buried for a few years after you knocked it out of her . Now Jo I have things to be going on with so ...I'll see you Tuesday ." She got up and walked away , leaving what appeared to be a very angry man on the bench!

The Staff Car cruised along beside her . The drivers window slid down slowly ? " Need a lift Maam , said the driver "
" No thank you driver "
" Maam ... Lieutenant General O'Neill sent this car to pick you up today " " Well that's very nice of him Driver but I 'm quite happy to get a cab.. Don't you worry about it .I'll call the General and let him know ."
" Maam , would you please just get in " At his insistence she thought that the Colonel had probably threatened to shoot him if he didn't take her home .

She smiled at the thought and opened the back door to get in. It was after all very sweet of him. " What , the .....God ..I got a fright .What are you doing here !" Jack was sitting relaxed out of uniform , in civvies , not normal attire for a Staff Car. " Well, I came to surprise you and pick you up from work and well ...I got surprised 'cause there you were cozy, cozy on the bench with your HUSBAND" Jack was pretending to be annoyed Sam turned with a look of almost terror in her eyes , a look that Jack had maybe seen only a few times Off World in a life threatening situation. He realised his tone had shook the living daylights out of her. In that second she thought , Oh my God, How do I explain this ? Why did he have to see this ? What will he think ? After getting it all sorted out last night . He won't trust me .He'll go . He'll leave . She was in sheer panic. The tears were right there in her beautiful blue eyes .

"Sorry Sam . It's OK , Come on .. It's OK. I was here before he met up with you . I know you weren't really cozy cozy . I was just teasing."
At that she turned on him and started thumping at his chest with her fists. " Hey.. That hurts , easy , lady ....easy ... awchh enough , enough " He grabbed her hands and could see the sheer temper in her face. " Sam ..I think it's JO you should be pummeling to death ..not me" " I know , I know ...he just makes me so damned angry .. and well you.. You're the last person I expected to see tonight ....What's going on ..I thought your flight was at 4pm, Can you please let my hands go " " Do you promise not to bludgeon me to death " She moved in towards him and kissed him gently on the lips . " I promise "
"Ok ..then ....That's better . You know Sam you really have to get rid of all this anger and frustration you're burying."
"When did you become . Mr Psychologist then" "Hh Hh Hm , General Psychologist ..if you don't mind . " they both laughed and he pulled her into a warm hug. " Where to Sir!"
" Don't know yet Driver ? Sam ..the Generals' given me some time off . I don't need to be back at the base until the end of next week . What do you want to do ?" " Well I've got some packing to do as I have been assigned to the new Asgard Project, and to be based at the SGC as from the end of next week !"
" Oh really !..Well What a surprise !" "That was pure sarcasm O'Neill. Did you have something to do with this?" "Absolutely nothing Sam!.. I was at a meeting with the General and the Joint Chiefs this morning and he insisted that he needed you back at the base, and the Joint Chiefs agreed ... I said nothing! Honest .Well I did say something profound about the problems that the fluctuations in planetary shift would cause , which did help to convince them , not that I knew what I was talking about , of course."

" Of Course not.. General !... Oh this is so nice Jack , time off . You're not away home to Cheyanne . I couldn't have asked for any more. I still have to work this week though as if I am going to the SGC , there's some preparatory work I need to do. "
"Sam, that's OK . I'll be here when you stop work , Cool it!" Sam was slowly beginning to realise that she was OK. He wasn't going anywhere , wasn't making demands on her. He was through his crisis barrier of last night. She had got through to him and she was now being rewarded with this calm , kind , warm , considerate person that she always imagined was there but didn't dare expect to be there. She had made her commitment by going to him last night , He had made his commitment by being here for her now. Her jigsaw puzzle of life was beginning to fit together , and this time she knew it was the right jigsaw. "Back to your Hotel , please Jack "
"Thought you'd never ask !"
"Driver.....Hilton!"

The next few days were strange for the Colonel. Sam went to the Pentagon to work and he lazed about. It was as if he was having an out of body experience . He had been so tied up in the SGC for the last 3 years anyway that he'd hardly had time to be himself. Sam had asked him last night where the old grumpy Colonel was that she so dearly loved and he seriously didn't know . He said probably somewhere in his toes. For the last 4 days now he had no Military business to attend to , he'd had no contact with the SGC. He was beginning to wonder himself where that Colonel was .He guessed he would show himself when it was appropriate . He was quite enjoying this break...a lot more that he ever imagined he could.

It was Tuesday . Sam was getting ready at home for what she knew was going to be an ordeal .She had no idea that jack was going to be at the Benefit Ball , he didn't' want her worrying about them both being there together . She was going with her Husband, He was going with the Military contingent. It would mean that her surprise would be genuine and easier to deal with.

She arrived on the arm of Jo and politely chatted as if everything was normal. Jo was revelling in every moment . He was happy because he had control.
Jack was in an ante -room with the Military Top Brass and was equally uncomfortable making small talk with all these YA, YA's' .

It was a Black- Tie event and the only hint of Military were the ribbons on his left hand pocket of his Jacket, he looked so handsome in his Tuxedo.

The Military Party were escorted to the Top Table . Jack looked for Sam ....there she was at the next table , looking absolutely stunning in a turquoise blue chiffon dress that just reflected the colour of her eyes. Jack smiled ...this was the woman who was in his Hotel bedroom this morning .He somehow gained great satisfaction from this fact. She never even cast a glance in his direction , she looked bored to tears.

The Master of Ceremonies called the room to order . Please be upstanding for your top table and Guest of Honor. It gives me great pleasure to introduce to you a gentleman with so many honors that there is hardly any room left on his jacket for Ribbons. He is a veteran of the Gulf War and is still very much on active duty with a Special Projects Branch of the USAF. Obviously it's classified , everything this gentleman gets involved with is classified, so don't expect him to answer any questions , cause if he does he'll have to kill you ." The room burst into laughter
" Ladies and Gentleman let me introduce , Lieutenant General Jack O'Neill of the United States Air Force. " Everyone clapped and cheered , Sam's jaw dropped almost hitting the floor. " Sam , shouldn't you be applauding , after all he is your Colonel isn't he ." Jo was being particularly facetious .
" Sorry Jo, I wasn't expecting him to be here !... But it is nice to see him again." "Well may-be he'll make your dreams come true later Sam , and grant you a dance.. I'll ask him if you like?" "JO...Grow up and shut up , will you ...I can't wait to get tonight over with" "Look Sam . Once this meal is over you can do what the hell you like . I've spoken to the Senate and told them about the Divorce. You'll be pleased to know that I will not now be standing for the Senate this year as they feel that I should settle down my private life first so I don't really need you tonight but I thought I would just put you through this final torture." " You are the lowest of the low , and you only get what you deserve. Do they know about your prostitute mistress 'cause I'm sure that would make lovely reading ?" "Don't you dare"
"You don't play games with me Jo....I won't play games with you !"

" Well , Good evening everyone . I'm Lieutenant General Jack O'Neill but if you're speaking to me this evening please call me Colonel .I've been Colonel for as long as I can remember and you know what they say .Old habits die hard!. I am honored to be here with you all this evening, I'm not used such lavish occasions , it's normally the base commissary I frequent , so forgive me if my manners don't match the occasion. I know we are here to support a very important cause , I was a guest of Saddam for a short while in 1990 and I am thankful to be here with you all today. I'm not the best dancer in the world but I look forward to treading the boards with some of you lovely ladies this evening as long as you don't stand on my toes. I have various war wounds so please be gentle with me. Thank you ladies and gentlemen and enjoy your evening." He was charming and humorous and very Officer- Like. Sam couldn't believe how he never failed to amaze her He was a chameleon and he could fit into to any situation. The meal was over and the Colonel was being introduced to various dignitaries. "I know Ambassador Faxton, Thank you . How are you Ambassador, I hear you're standing for the Senate . Good luck with that Sir. Hello Sam , It's good to see you again, so soon after our last meeting. May I say , you look gorgeous this evening I hardly recognised you with clothes on" Sam nearly choked.
He turned to Jo and said
" Anytime she was around me she was in baggy fatigues " " Just shows you what you were missing Colonel " " Yes. Jo....I see what you mean....I understand you're missing it as well these days " He kissed Sam on the cheek with such a look of devilment that she nearly blushed. The Colonel worked his way up the line. Sam and Jo took their places with the politicians. " Does he know about us Sam?"
"Yes he does. I told you I met up with him last week at the Pentagon didn't I ?"
" You didn't need to tell him....It's none of his business " " You're right Jo , I didn't need to tell him but I wanted to tell him, so I did....and that is none of your business. Look Jo you either just quietly let this evening go ahead and I'll be polite or you continue this verbal volleyball and I'll shock the whole room to it's core.....Your choice. Now leave me alone for the rest of the evening please and I'll behave in front of your friends."

Sam sat politely beside Jo for most of the evening watching Jack dance with just about every beautiful woman in the room. It didn't actually bother her . It just showed her how handsome , charming and desirable he was. Some of the woman were literally throwing themselves at him. She adjourned to the ladies. She overheard some conversations

" Hey, Well What about that General or Colonel O'Neill guy, Is he hot or what. What age do you think he is? .....A lot younger that the gray hair would suggest anyway . How fit does he look in that Tux. A man shouldn't be allowed to look like that . It's unfair to us unsuspecting single women. I hear he's divorced.. and not attached . God he'd be some catch that 's for sure. I don't know about single women , but I'd leave my husband for him ....He's a hunk " Sam was giggling quietly to herself . That was the man she loved they were talking about and what more he loved her. She felt a sense of great satisfaction and an urge to dance with him and be held by him.

" Hello Doctor Faxton ... Hey didn't you used to work with that General O'Neill....How did you manage keep your hands off him "
" Regulations Mrs Walker .........Regulations !" She was so smug when she walked out. " My , My " She looked almost shocked at Sams' reply.

As she made her way back into the hall, she felt someone coming close up behind her and at the slightest breath on her neck her knees started to give way. She whispered "Jack ?"
"Sam!...So Madame Ambassador , how about a dance." " Are you sure you can drag yourself away from your array of adoring fans?" " Oh .........I think I can fit you in !" They made their way to the dance floor arm in arm . " Before you say anything...I didn't tell you because I knew you'd panic and worry about us being here together . This way I get to be with you , and Jo hasn't got a clue ...........well hasn't got a clue YET!" " Oh ...I am so glad you are here Jack.. You know , the way he has been behaving I just want to shout from the highest point that I am with you and we are together and he can get stuffed....and you know the night is not over yet.........and I just might!.....You know , you've got just about all the woman falling over you tonight .You are so handsome in your Tux. One woman in the ladies even said she would leave her husband for you. You are such a tease . Senator Walkers wife knew that I had worked with you and asked me how I had managed to keep my hands off you?"
" What did you tell her?"
" I said.....regulations......she nearly had a convulsion." The two of them chatted and laughed on the Dance Floor for a number of dances , not that they had noticed. They were so at ease and relaxed and there was a loving familiarity passing between them .No inhibitions , that was for sure. Jo noticed them together and noticed how close and intimate they seemed. It was no surprise to him but he didn't like it.
Sam and Jack eventually separated and took up their places with their respective parties. It was now very late and a number of people were dispersing.
" I bet that made your night Sam......dancing with your Colonel. Did it give you a thrill?" "Jo. Are you quite finished ? .... Is the evening over now ?..... Debts paid in full ....You sign the papers ...I don't go to the press....Is that the deal?" " Yes Sam , you know that's the deal. " " Well.. I want nothing from you . Sell the house etc .I don't want a penny . I have my own life and I am going to live it for me from now on. I hope your life works out the way you want it. Now , as you've always known and always cast up to me, I am in love with my Colonel as you call him. Since he arrived here last week , we have been inseparable . I have never been so happy in my life . Now if you'll excuse me I would like to go to him now , and leave with him when he is ready!"
She walked purposely towards the corner where the Colonel was talking to a crowd of young attractive women .She excused herself through the small crowd and took the Colonels' hand and pulled herself towards him and kissed him on the lips. He was taken aback and looked at her with that ' what 's going on here 'look. She whispered to him that Jo knew what was going on and it was nothing to do with him anymore . Debts paid in full . " Excuse me ladies , Doctor Faxton and I have some unfinished business to attend to ..It's been lovely to meet you ."
With this remark he escorted her out to the foyer and took her into his arms and , they kissed passionately , and they didn't care who was watching. As far as Sam was concerned this relationship had just been aired out in the open and there was no need for any more hiding. The Colonel couldn't be happier. One of the joint Chief Generals asked him what was going on and he explained the situation. General Vitrine then said " Well Jack ..I'm glad to hear that , I've never thought that the Major has been happy since she came here and we at The Military have known about Jo Faxtons' black side for a number of years but couldn't really help the Major at the time . We just all crossed our fingers behind our backs and hoped it would work out. I'm pleased you two have again found each other 'cause it was pretty obvious at the SGC that you were meant to be together . Good luck Jack and I'll see you at Cheyanne sometime soon , no doubt !. Take Care of that beautiful Lady." Jack called for his Staff Car . Sam went to say goodbye to some friends. Jo was standing in the foyer.
" So...Jack ...You and my wife have been at it behind my back then?" " I'm sorry Jo , but you and Sam have been separated for almost a year now. Sam and I met up quite by accident last week ..You know that you are out of order . You know what scandal can be dragged up . Now , do you politely say goodbye to us both as we get into my Staff Car , or do I roll my sleeves up now and beat the crap ,out of you in front of all these people who are left. It's your call , Jo .. You have to decide whether I am serious or just funning?
The choice is yours "
The Colonels face was calm and calculated, and yes it was the Colonels face . He was ready to face this challenge if he had to .
" It's over Jo.....You screwed up ! Leave ....her .....alone.......or answer to me!" Jo stood for a second and then turned on his heels and said. " You're welcome to her ....We were finished before anything even started . I don't want her ...I never wanted her! .....Good Luck ...Jack ....She's an Ice queen and believe me a blow torch wouldn't thaw her out!" Jack knew this was cruel ,but , what he said was of no importance . The important thing in his life was gliding towards him, turning mens' heads as she passed them . God she was beautiful... Ice queen indeed?????...not with him she wasn't ...and Jo didn't need to know that!" Jack escorted Sam into his Staff Car , with an engrossed audience and they sat in a close embrace all the way back to his Hotel. Secure in each others love for one another.

Life was as close to normal as it could get between Jack and Sam.. it was 3 months since they had met up in Washington The Colonel was well back into the swing of things at the SGC ,and was extremely busy with SG-1 , working hand in hand with the Asgard in the setting up of the new Co-ordinates. Doctor Faxton was engrossed in her lab , the most difficult part of the work was creating the necessary power source which required NAQUATAH. SG-3 and SG14 had been on duty on P2X123 where they were mining Naquatah but it was taking longer than anyone had anticipated. It was going to take time and patience was required.

Sam and Jack hadn't exactly set up home together. Her Divorce was only finalised 3 weeks ago as Jo became obstinate and held back on the signing of the documents. Jack wanted to wait until all the red tape was sown up before he moved things along any further. Sam had moved into her Dads' house which wasn't too far away from Jacks' house . They were happy spending time together at work when possible , having lunch , sharing breaks , talking , walking together. They spent some time at Jacks' and occasionally spent some time at Jacobs' except that Jack did feel a little uneasy at Jacobs'. There was no pressure , just two people getting on with life , a complicated life yes , but a life that they both wanted.

Jack had just returned form a 3 day mission with Sg-1 and went along to see Sam in her lab. " Hi gorgeous! "
" Hi ... When did you get back .......Are you OK?" " Course I'm OK...routine meet and greet mission , Jonas talked them into submission. Got back an hour ago and hit the showers. ...What you doing?"
"Filling in forms ."
" Oh yea ....What kind of forms ?"
" Forms that request a permanent transfer to the SGC and also the final form acknowledging the Divorce. I spoke to General Hammond and he's already sent away his request for me to be permanently based here but I thought I had better get my side done. "
"Good ....Sam ....another link in the chain !....How many more links do you think are still to go ?" " That depends on how long the chain is ....Colonel " "OH....Good Answer Doctor Faxton!"
Every time Jack called her Doctor Faxton she squirmed...there was another form that needed to be filled in. Jack went over and kissed Sam affectionately on the lips . " Got to go, De-Brief in 10 minutes.......See you later " Sam sighed ...She would love to be part of that de- brief...She just missed being there with him, going through the gate , that feeling of power and strength she got working beside him. Still, being at the SGC was wonderful in comparison to Washington and well she did get to go home with him most nights.

The weeks went on with similar such days . The Colonel out Off World , Sam working in the Labs , Spending what time they could together.

Sam arrived at the SGC this morning with a big grin on her face . She hadn't seen Jack over the weekend as he was on night duty at the base . She made her way to his office. " Good morning Colonel O'Neill ! "
" Good morning Doctor Faxton, you're a sight for sore eyes . Come here so I can kiss you." " Wait a moment , I have a request first " Jack looked at her very suspiciously.
"Request ? ...Well it had better be a simple one 'cause I've had little sleep this weekend and couldn't handle anything too intense first thing Monday morning!" " It is simple.......From now on could you and the rest of the base refrain from calling me Doctor Anderson and call me Doctor Carter?"
Jack got up form his chair , and took her in his arms and said ..

" It will be my pleasure Doctor Carter...............tell me something , did the haircut that you've just had over
the weekend have anything to do with this new name .....You know you just look terrific with your hair short ....I

love it!"
"It is just such a relief not to need to hear the name Anderson ,and the hair , well ..It's more me ..I don't really like myself with long hair. I decided it was time to sort that out as well. More links in that ever growing chain. ...before you say anything "

Jack was actually working on one of his own links .

OFF WORLD ACTIVATION< OFF WORLD ACTIVATION> COLONEL O'NEILL TO THE CONTROL ROOM!

Jack turned on his heels and ran out of his office , kissing Sams cheek as he ram by. "Wait here Carter ....I'll be back in a minute" She smiled her wide smile .....Carter ........he called me Carter....much better she thought.

The Off World activation was an old friend that Jack had been trying to contact for months. He wanted it to be a surprise , so it was as well that Sam never really got involved in the comings and goings of the Gate any more.

" Hi ..Jacob.. It's so good to see you at last!" " Jack.. What is it ...is Sam OK.....I've been on an under cover mission." "I know Anise explained it to me, and Sams' fine but the two of you need to talk." " Jack ..She won't speak to me and I really don't have the time to go to Washington" " She's not in Washington...She's here ! in the SGC, working on the new Asgard technology . She's in my office."

" Hello Samantha! How are you ?"
Sam turned to face her Dad and was speechless. " Jack tells me you're working down here for a while . It really is good to see you Sam .....I've missed our chats . I'm sorry I was such a pigs head. You know it's only when you are light years away that you realise what matters. I know I never gave Jo a chance .Let me make up to the 2 of you!"

" Oh ..Dad , What has Jack told you ?"
" Nothing I only saw him for a second before I came to see you" Sam saw Jack lean in to the room , smile that smile , and close the door so that they could have privacy. Sam ran over to her Dad , hugged him ,and just burst into tears . " Oh Dad ! It's so good to see you , I've been such and idiot , I've missed you . I've needed you and I've been so stubborn . That man he is amazing , he just knows how to make things right for me . I am so lucky to have him and now I've got you as well "
" Look Sam , you obviously love Jo very much that you feel like that and I really will work hard at getting to know him "
Sam shook her head and coughed as she realised what her dad thought. Well what else would he think , the last he knew she was happily married .
" Dad..Sit down , I have a very long story to tell you "

Jack realised that they had been in his office for 2 hours . He had de-briefed 2 SG teams and was about to go and write up the reports when he saw his office door still closed . Unusual 'cause he always had it wide open so that he could hear what was going on. He listened at the door to see of everything was OK, or if he might be needed fo r some support. He wasn't that keen facing Jacob as after all he was sleeping with his daughter out of marriage , and Jacob is quite that traditionalist. He waited outside and listened.

" So you're Divorced from the Ambassador and living with Jack" " Well we're not exactly living together Dad. It's a bit complicated , we still have our own space. " " So what next . The two of you have been in love for how many years now...More I think than I care to count . Are you going to marry Jack?"
" I don't know , we've never discussed it ..I mean ...He's never asked me and well I don't know if Jack will ever actually marry again. He still hurts from his divorce. Not that he still loves his wife .I know he loves me with all his heart but just getting divorced was a real trauma for him considering the circumstances with his son and all. I wouldn't want him to feel he had to marry me .We're good as we are Dad ." " Sam ..I know Jack loves you ..I've known since that Zatarc carry on ..I'm To-Kra remember . You two should be together .I would suggest you get this man , hook line and sinker. I told you that when you gave up your Rank and position . It was Jack you should have been going to not Jo Faxton." " Dad .. I know you're right . I love him so much I ache when he's not with me. All I want in life is to be his wife ! I've wanted it for so long , I've dreamed about it ...I just don't want to lose what we have 'cause it has taken us so long to get here. "
" Well Sam ...All I want is for you to be happy...I mean finally happy and settled. What about a family , you're still young . I thought you wanted a family some day?" " Yes , I know , but I love Jack so much that if it's not part of the deal ...I don't care. I want him more than I want a family. We've certainly never discussed it and I'm not going to . The way I see that is , if it happens , it happens....No pressure . If it's meant to be ...It's meant to be. Dad ..I have a lot of things I still want to do , that Jack and I could do together ...one of them , going back through the Stargate...I am so jealous of everyone going through the Gate. I would dearly like to get that part of my life back as well but I can take small steps now 'cause I know I'm going in the right direction." Jack had heard every word of this ,
She wants to be married to him.... she wants a family ....she wants back on the team....she wants to go through the Stargate......

Marriage ---he didn't think that she would want it! Family -----That one is a bit mind blowing ...he never considered he would get the chance to be a father again Part of the team ----probably impossibly due to her resignation Through the Stargate-----the only easy one!

This chain really is getting longer , he thought as he took a deep breath and opened the door. " Oh Hi ...You two still in here?.....Do you know the time?.....I've got work to do and I need my office ! " He was his usual Colonel Mode smiling , cheeky self. " Sorry ..Jack.. Are we keeping you away from getting your paperwork done.? " No need to be sarcastic Jacob? You two alright ? "There was now genuine concern in his voice. " Yes we are Jack and I hear you two appear to be alright also. Who said you could take advantage of my daughter ?" " Oh Believe me Sir , I wasn't the one taking the advantage , Was I ...Sam?" They all laughed and there were a few hugs flying round. " Look why don't you two have lunch and continue your catching up. I've got to go and see the General "

" General can I have a minute of your time please?" " Certainly Colonel , What's on your mind?"

" Sam! Sir! Was her Rank terminated or suspended ?" " She thinks it's terminated but I only suspended it . Why ?" " Wait...I'm asking the questions. Sam and I are together in a relationship, an established relationship...If she was to be reinstated , where do we stand . CO....Regs etc?" "Regulations wouldn't stand if you are either engaged to be married or married but as you and Sam are at the moment your relationship wouldn't be recognised and you would be breaking the regulations. What's this all about Jack " " In confidence Sir. I overheard Sam and Jacob talking . She would like her position back within the SGC. She misses being part of the team and she wants to go through the Stargate and well I miss her day in day out on these missions as she's the best soldier I have ever served with . I just thought if it was possible that she could basically get her life back and we could still have ours at the same time! Sir!" " Well Jack.. You know what you have to do! I'll spell it out if you like ! I have no problem having Sam back on the team, you sort out the Regs issue Colonel. I can apply for the Majors papers to be recalled . It will take a few weeks."

Two Weeks Later.

DOCTOR CARTER TO GENERAL HAMMONDS OFFICE PLEASE>

Sam got up and went immediately . She was slightly puzzled as General Hammond was on leave . She entered the office and the Colonel was sitting at the desk...Of course she thought ..he was 2IC .. and used The Generals Office when required.

" Well, Sam ..You 're probably wondering why I've called you here. I've been having problems with SG-1 lately . The Military strength of the team is lacking from time to time and I'm not getting any younger and I need to reinforce the Command Structure. I need a good 2IC and I thought that you might fit the bill...What do you think" "Very funny. Jack...You know I can't be 2IC ...I'm not Military." He pushed an envelope towards her. She opened it. In it was a letter recalling her to active duty , signed by The President himself and her Majors Stripes were also inside the envelope. " But how did you......when did you....I don't know if I......Wait a minute .....WHAT ABOUT US !!!! N No way Jack , I'm not losing you again. NO.. Sorry Sir ...Decline the re-instatement." He then pushed a little black box towards her and told her to open it. She opened it , it was the most beautiful diamond solitaire engagement ring. " Sam...Would you please marry me ?"
She was gob smacked ..This had come right out of the blue. No discussion , just straight out of the blue! " Yes...Jack.. I will marry you , I want very much to be your wife! Now I've made my choice ...yes to marrying you .....No to being re-instated . Now you know how important you are to me. This time last year I'd have given my right arm to be re-instated to the Airforce" " Sam.. Who said it was a choice?....Who said it was an either or ? Put the ring on your finger.. Come here !" He slips the ring on her finger , kisses her gently and looks into her eyes. " Now pick up your papers . Ring first , papers second ! No problem!" Sam looked at him suspiciously .
" Are you saying that if we're engaged , I can be with you and take up my Military Role also.?" " Yes.....Now you know how important you are to me Major!" The Colonel and The Major embraced so tightly that they were both having difficulty breathing. " Major! ..We need to get back to work....You have to go and have a medical and there is an SG-1 briefing in 2 hours that I have to prepare for."

The Major smiled , and left the office and made her way to the infirmary. " Colonel . Doctor Fraiser here. Just to let you know that Major Carter will not make the briefing this afternoon as she must undergo a full medical. She will be ready for duty tomorrow as long as everything checks out." The Colonel and the Major arrived at the base the next morning . He went straight to his office to check his mail before changing. The Major went straight to the locker room to get herself sorted out. They had spent the whole of the previous evening talking about , missions, Stargate, weddings .......all the usual stuff. Her head was spinning.
SG1....GEAR UP AND BE IN THE GATE ROOM 0900 HOURS The Colonel and the rest of the team were in the Gate Room ready at 0855> The door opened and in walked MAJOR CARTER. Teal'c smiled in delight , Hayley and Jonas applauded , and the Control Room applauded. The Colonel just stood and looked at his fiancee with a look of extreme pride. They watched in the usual awe as the Gate was activated. KAWOOSH
The Majors' face lit up , and SG-1 made its' way up the ramp. The Colonel stood ........." After you ....Major ! By the way did I ever tell you how sexy you look in those combats? " HE smiled and turned to the Control Room and saluted his usual farewell. SG-1 YOU HAVE 18 HOURS TO CHECK IN AND YOUR IDC CODE WILL BE LOCKED OUT >>> GOOD LUCK TEAM Major Carter stopped at the Wormhole entrance,

" YOU know Sir . this is quite Astrological...You can actually see the fluctuations..............
"Deja-vu Major.......Do you go through or do I push you ?

They both laughed loudly as they stepped in unison through the Event Horizon. SG-1 was again at full strength and on it's way to bigger and better achievements than ever.

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to JeanA