Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Epilogue : The Tomb

by JeanA
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Epilogue : The Tomb

Epilogue : The Tomb

by JeanA

Title: Epilogue : The Tomb
Author: JeanA
Email: gmajca@fsmail.net
Category: MissingScene/Epilogue
Episode related: 508 The Tomb
Season: Season 5
Pairing: Sam/Jack
Rating: G
Warnings: none
Summary: The Colonel handles his feelings following the de-brief with the Russian General
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).

8th June 02

Epilogue

"The Tomb" Season 5

The Russian General left General Hammonds' office.......The Colonel sat quiet, fiddling with his pencil and staring
at the table........he was angry , upset, and frustrated .....all at the same time.....not good..

" What's on your mind Colonel ?"
" Too much for me to put into order and verbalise at the moment ...Sir..!" " Well if you have nothing else to say at the moment Colonel then your are dismissed.." " Yes Sir.."
The Colonel got up and left the Briefing Room and headed for his office..

Daniel was in Sam's lab and they were chatting.......
" The Colonel's been with the two Generals for about three hours.....I wonder what's going on....?"
" Yes ...He was in a bad mood when he went in....I wouldn't like to bump into him when he comes out....."
" Me neither Daniel......It must have been hard for him with that Zukof....."
" Yes ...Sam ..especially when he disobeyed his orders ...........I mean could you imagine if that had been one of us
disobeying a direct order in these circumstances........?"
" No....Daniel !.....That would never happen .....We joke about him here on base ......but.....we never question his
decisions or judgements when we are Off World with him in combat situations......He's got us out of enough messes for
us to trust his instincts............He knows that.........I think....?."
"Yes ..You're right Sam ...Even when I argue with him .....I know the circumstances not to ...and well may-be that's
why we work as a team ...."
" Speaking of team Daniel ..May-be we should go and find out what is going on......We shouldn't just leave him to take

any crap for this mission...."
" You're right Major...let's go and find him....If he's out that is.."

They both walked past the Briefing Room.........It was empty
They made their way to his office......It was empty and tidied... The Major picked up the phone....
" Hi..security ...this is Major Carter here....has Colonel O'Neill checked out yet......?"
" No ..Major...Not yet..."
" OK....Thank you......Wonder where he is..?"
"OH...Sam ...I know where he is......."
Daniel was looking out of the Colonels window , into the Gate Room.....There was the Colonel , hands in pockets , just
standing alone in the deserted Gate Room staring at the empty Stargate......He pointed at the window..

" What's he doing Daniel...?."
" Oh...I would say ...thinking..."
"God Daniel...We shouldn't let him do too much of that in the mood he's in......" " Well Sam...I agree with you but I'm not going down there to get my head bitten off....If he wants some quiet reflection time then I say leave him to it.....At least we know he's alright...." Sam said into herself.

"Is he.....may-be ........may-be not.....?"
Daniel walked towards his lab and Sam watched the Colonel for another few minutes......
She decided to take the chance.....
The Gate Room doors opened......the Colonel didn't even turn to look at who was entering......
The Major walked up behind him.....
" Hey ...Sir...I could have taken you out there....you didn't even react to the doors opening......."
" Yes well Carter ...It was a calculated risk...... Friend or foe.....I guessed friend , since the foes are usually
coming in that direction......"
He pointed to the Stargate...
" Yes ..I suppose so....Sir......Ehm....Sir !.....What are you doing...."

" What does it look like Carter..?"
" Looking at nothing and thinking Sir?" " Well spotted Carter......So......Why don't you just leave me to my looking and thinking and go on home for the evening....It's been a pig of few days." His voice wasn't angry ..It was ....kind ...of ....soft and caring....Not at all what she expected..... " You should head home yourself ...Sir.." " Should !.......Yes should ...I should do a lot of things Carter.." She stood with him for another 5 or so minutes.... " Colonel...I'm heading off now.....You should do the same ..you know...?" He never answered her..
" Goodnight Sir.."
" Goodnight Carter.. and thanks.."
" For what ..Sir..?"
" For ..taking the time to care...Carter....thanks.." He smiled gently at her ....The first his gaze had left the Stargate..... She smiled back and a little flutter ran through her...She didn't see this side of him much these days.......She made her way to the locker rooms to get changed and go home..

She arrived home and thought through the brief encounter that she had with the Colonel .....What did he mean when
he said.....'I should do a lot of things.......Carter'..?.....She shrugged it off.....them it came into her head
again......She went to the phone.......

" Hello ..this is Major Carter...Has Colonel O'Neill left the base ..." "Security code ..Major..?"

" Oh....SG1MSC.......!"
"Yes.....Major ..the Colonel signed out about an hour ago...."
Should she phone him at home....?....No ..Just leave it ...It will be fine in the morning.....
There was that niggle again.......'I should do a lot of things ..Carter..'
She picked up the phone.......
" No ..I'll go round to his house....then he'll have to speak to me....."

She said quietly to herself...
KNOCKKNOCKKNOCK
"Carter ...What are you doing here ..It's almost midnight ..I was just going to my bed........What's on your mind. ..Major..?"
" You ....Sir....!"
" Me?...What do you mean ..me.?"
" I was worried about you ....ehm ...Can I come in Sir....A bit chilly out here...." " Yes!...Of Course. !...Sorry !.........Come in....Beer ? ..Coffee.?" " Coffee would be good Sir"

" You were saying Major.......Worried about me...?.....Whatever for...For crying out loud...!"
" Sir.....In the gate Room.......You weren't yourself......and you said something about.....'you should do a lot of
things.....as if you had something else you should be doing .....It ..unsettled me ..Sir..."
" It unsettled you so ,..you come to my home at midnight because something I said unsettled you.........Couldn't it

just have waited until tomorrow ...?.." " The way you said it....I wasn't even sure that you would ..show up ...tomorrow."

The Colonel turned around with a start.......How did she detect that, from that one small sentence...
"How very perceptive of you Major........Started reading minds now have you ...?."
" No ..Sir ..I just think that I know you well enough now that I can detect ..things.....at ..times......So where
were you going to go ..Sir..?"
His head swung around quickly ........Again she had taken him aback a bit...
" Probably up to my Cabin for a few days and then who knows where.......far away from here ..that's for sure....."
" Don't be ridiculous ..Sir....You're not going anywhere........What's the problem here........May-be I can help...
.........If you let me..?"
" I don't think so ..."
" Try me.....Might as well ...I'm here ...aren't I... ?"
This was such an unreal situation.....the Major never visited the Colonel on his own ...they made a habit of keeping

their distance....He was vulnerable and she was going to take advantage of that to help him get things into perspective .....
They sat silently for about 10 minutes......She with her coffee and he with his beer.....She could see that he was struggling with himself...She was also aware that he might just snap into Colonel Mode at any moment and demand

she go home and get some sleep etc.....She just bided her time.......
" Carter ?......That mission.....? ......The Russians.......Why did SG-1 come back unharmed and the Russian team
almost wiped out..?"
" Sir ..I knew that would be a leading topic at your de-brief.....I would say ....BAD LEADERSHIP....NO CHAIN
OF COMMAND.....AQND CONFLICTING OBJECTIVES....
The Colonels head dropped and he stared at the floor........
" Yes ....I knew that ..........I just couldn't bring myself to put it into words.........You know three people lost
their lives out there....."

" Yes I know Sir.... but none of the ones who lost their lives were under your Command...Sir." " Yes they were Carter...I was in charge of the overall mission..."

" No you weren't Sir.....Zukof refused to accept the Chain of Command.....he disobeyed direct orders given by you ..
.He put his team at risk by prioritising the Eye of Tieamon, which you had no knowledge of ..Sir........Get this into
perspective....."
" Yes!!.....But you said ......BAD LEADERSHIP...NO CHAIN OF COMMAND ...AND CONFLICTING OBJECTIVES.......!"
" Yes.......ZUKOF....Not you Sir.....I'm hardly likely to sit here talking to you as my CO.....if I think you're a
Bad Leader etc etc etc.......Get a grip Colonel ...."
" Oh..Right..!"
His voice was quiet and soft......he looked up and smiled slightly
" OK.....Did I favour ..You , Daniel and Teal'c........In such a way that I compromised the safety of the others..
......?"
" Fine......I'll carry on with this.....After all that is why I came here tonight......You know Sir...?..You're
reversing roles here...It's you who usually talks me through doubts and uncertainties....."
" Well As you said ...Carter ..YOU CAME HERE.....If you now want me to shut up then.....Push off home and leave
me alone..."
" Sorry Sir........I didn't mean it.......Right.......Let's examine how the Russians died.......First of all the
door began to close...Why?...because Zukof ..disobeyed your direct order to hold his position until you and the
rest of us arrived...I was there ..Sir!.....The temple started to shake and the door shut down....That STUPID Russian
soldier tried to get between the door and the wall...YOU ordered him to get out of there ...He disobeyed YOUR order.
....Now !.....Did Daniel Myself or Teal'c try to get between the door and the wall...?......No!....First of all We're
not stupid enough to try that ....We've seen such situations before .......second of all...If you ordered us out of
it....We'd have got out of it......There was nothing else you could have done.....What did Zukof do......?..NOTHING .!
.....He didn't even try to order the guy away from the door...Do I have to go on and dissect the rest ....?"
The Colonel just looked up at Carter....She was so animated and self assured......
"OK...Sir...I'll humour you ......."

She went over to him and kneeled in front of him where she could catch his glance and she made him look straight into her eyes.

"The Goau'ld guy.....he left Daniel alone when you had ordered them to stay in twos..........Zukof ?......Well I think
I remember you saying you had just been blasted by a Goau'ld hand device.....I know what that feels like......You're
damn lucky you got out the way ......And ...Don't forget the whole time Zukof was trying to STEAL ..the eye of
Tieamon.........You didn't favour any of us Colonel ..We just did what we were told, obeyed your orders ....worked
as a team the way you've taught us to and .......looked after each other as you've taught us to do ......That Russian
Zukof guy couldn't care less about his team ....He may have wished them luck before going through the Stargate....when
you just ordered us to move out.....but luck was what they needed working under his Command ..We don't work like that
.......We care about each other and as you say ....We don't leave our people behind....4 Go through the gate......4
Come home again........You know ........We've all been together now for 5 years Sir.......That Russian Team had been
together for ....5 minutes.......Half of the orders you give us now ...we're half way to carrying them out before you
finish a sentence....I know that you don't realise that but you must see it when you go out with other teams....That's
why you usually come back exhausted and pissed and frustrated .....because they're not us....they are not your team
under your Command ....they are not ...SG-1.......WE ARE
SG-1........ ..AND WE WOULDN'T HAVE IT ANY OTHER WAY ....SIR .......?
She took hold of his hand and squeezed it reassuringly........He squeezed back.....
" Now Colonel ...I'd better get home....Early Briefing tomorrow.....See you at the base......Sir.."
She made her way to the door.......the Colonel followed her....Opened the door and gave her a gentle hug.....She looked

at him and kissed his cheek .
"Goodnight ...Sir "

"Goodnight Major...and ........Thanks."
" You're welcome......."
As the Major drove off out of his view, he closed his door .
" Another one of these things Jack you SHOULD do is get that lady sorted out........" He mumbled to himself.

07:00 am
Briefing Room....
Daniel , Teal'c and The Major...

The General walked in......
"General..?.........Where's Colonel O'Neill..?" said the Major..
" I don't know ..I was going to ask YOU that...He's not arrived on base yet.....It's not like him to be late......."
The Major thought Oh'No......A Feeling of dread hit the base of her stomach......Just then the door flew open
" Good Morning....Kids.....Sorry I'm a bit late ...had a little PERSONAL ISSUE to attend to this morning.....So ..
.What's up?"
" Nothing....Now that you are here Colonel ......Forgotten how to use your cell phone...?"
" Did use it Sir...!...There's a message at Cheyanne reception.....Not my

fault if it's not passed on...but that is another issue...needing to be sorted out if I may say so ...Sir!" " Yes....I ..know Colonel ..."

The briefing went to plan......SG-1 would visit PX521 at 14:00hours. The Major had a few calculations to check from
the MALP information ...She made her way to her lab......She passed the Colonel .....
" Looking a bit tired Major......You really should get to your bed at a decent hour......"
There he was ..smiling that cheeky sarcastic smile...and she couldn't help respond and a feeling of warmth and well
being ran through her...She made her way to her lab....and found a small bunch of flowers sitting on her desk.....with
a small card......
" Thanks Sam ...PERSONAL ISSUE .......Jack!."
Oh!......She felt light headed all of a sudden ......Obviously this was what made him late for work....She smiled
quietly to herself...a broad dreamy smile that lit up her whole face......Little did she know..he saw it..He was at
the door ..concealed but he saw her.....He turned and headed for his office , hands in pockets and grin from ear to
ear......

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to JeanA