Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Fifth Marauder - Chapter 2, The

by Jaina
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
the Fifth Marauder - Chapter 2

the Fifth Marauder - Chapter 2

by Jaina

Title: the Fifth Marauder - Chapter 2
Author: Jaina
Email: jaina_torsec@hotmail.com
Category: Crossover
Episode related: 405 Divide and Conquer
Crossover: other (not listed)
Season: any Season
Pairing: Sam/Jack
Rating: G
Warnings: none
Summary: Chapter 2: The picture gets clearer for Sam. But what is Jacob hiding?.
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).

The Fifth Marauder

Chapter 2: When the picture gets clearer:

The weather of September in Colorado could have been mistaken for the one there was on the East coast in May. From the locals' point of view, it was even colder than the past years; but for Sam, it was just perfect. "A nice sunny day to meet Mark, don't you think?" "You're reading my mind. Is it still far? I'm starving!" "What? They don't feed you enough in the Tok'ra?" she teased. He grinned. "Oh, they do; but hamburgers and pizzas are not often on the menu." It was her turn to grin before making a face as she remembered a particular nasty gastronomic 'specialty' they had had to eat in respect for P8X574 traditions. Jacob laughed, nervously. If Sam had not been driving she would have noticed he had been immersed in his thoughts the entire journey; his efforts to keep his hands steady betraying his uneasiness.

They ate at 'The bear's den', a small convivial restaurant contiguous to a calm public park where they had arranged to meet their relatives. Sam had already been there with the other Sg1 members for the New Eve and was glad to show the place to her father. She was certainly not his little girl anymore; nevertheless, spending time with Jacob was sincerely agreeable. As if everything was fine. He had not mentioned her 'nightmares' so far, but somehow he seemed more...distant. Anyway, Sam had to ask. She would have thought he'd be the one to suggest this to her, but he hadn't.
She waited until the end of their lunch and escorted him to an empty bench, in a tranquil spot under a massive maple tree. "Two months ago, a member of the SGC went crazy and attempted to kill a Tok'ra official, the High Councilor Per'sus I think. It was revealed that he was the victim of a Goa'uld mind control process that programs individuals for violent, suicidal acts. The Tok'ra Anise tested the rest of the SGC personnel for other victims. Colonel O'Neill and I were wrongly regarded as 'Zatarcs'. And...and Martouf was killed." It was still hurting to speak about Martouf. He had not deserved such an end. He had been Jolinar's companion and a sincere friend for Sam. If it had not been for Jack, Sam knew she could have easily fallen in love with him "After his funeral, Anise reported me the incident. She wasn't extensive on details but I've understood that you lied! Why? Her 'treatment' is still flawed and could have killed both of you!" Jack and Sam had actually unconsciously lied during the Tok'ra questioning to keep their fondness for each other a secret; and had consequently been considered as mentally controlled. "Well..." She really didn't want to answer at the moment; a hard thing to do actually without divulging her forbidden feelings for her CO. Which she would not discuss with her father. Especially not her father... "What I mean is that Jolinar is correct! The Tok'ra entity had told me that my true memory wasn't my current one. 'A barrier holding feelings and memories, replaced by others'. But she also told me its origin wasn't Goa'uld. So when Anise exposed her theory on the Goa'uld mind control process; the victims being unaware of what affects them; I had been convinced Jolinar had been in the wrong and that I was undeniably a Zatarc. But I wasn't. I have the proof what happens to me is not dangerous to our program. Yet I suppose it was the same kind of control that Jolinar broke. Someone doesn't want me to remember the...this." She took a deep breath, obviously attaining the real goal of her speech. "Consequently, I want to remember. Even if it hurts. The Tok'ra has the technology to excite someone's memory. I've already experienced it; but then I was concentrating on Jolinar's souvenirs and had no time for my owns." She sighed. That mission had been difficult. "I want to try again. Dad, I'd like you to provide me the machine...discreetly. Will you help me?"

He replied a bit too fast.
"No."
This was unexpected. Sam looked directly in his eyes, chocked. "No?" She must have misheard.
"No, Sam. The Goa'ulds may not provoke your...'memories'; but it still could be a danger for you. If anyone finds out you've recalled something, you could be in trouble. It is also possible that someone's trying to manipulate you, to confuse you with false information with the intention of slowing down your efficacy." "Well, it certainly works then..." She was massaging her temples, visibly perplexed. "But Jolinar said; I mean; it doesn't make sense-" "Forget it for now Sam and try to have a good time. We'll find a way to help you. I've promised." She had no time to protest. He stood up and she saw Mark waving happily at them, followed by his wife and sons.

A mess. He had done a terrible complete mess. He shouldn't have discussed the issue but promised her the 'memory amplifier'. He eyed her prudently as they drove back to Cheyenne Mountain. Could she be suspicious? The day had passed rather quickly but it was evident she had been offended. He had tried to act as natural as possible, enjoying an afternoon with his grandchildren. But he was awfully disturbed. It really was no big deal. It would be finished within two days anyway. He had vainly tried to correct himself but his last argument had simply been incoherent. She had certainly understood that if the Goa'ulds weren't involved, the information erased concerned her personal life. He must act fast. She was remembering slowly, but surely. And they were lucky! Oh, yes! Lucky that she had just merely started to remember the most traumatizing event of her existence and not the entire 10 years they had erased...

Asleep, Sam witnessed the woman's death again that night. Unconscious, feverish; she was moving frenetically, mumbling incomprehensible words. The sheets of her bed were scattered on the floor.

A tall man, his face out of sight was moving forward, slowly, and impressively in a room whose furniture Sam could not discern. The woman was backing up, moving her head from side to side as if talking to him, trying to dissuaded him; her long red hair rippling as she did so. But Sam could not perceive a sound. In vain.
The cold laugh resounded in the room and once again Sam felt completely paralyzed by his voice. No. It was different this time. She realized she truly couldn't move, physically. The scene was repeating itself. The man aiming his arm at the women. In a second, the woman would fall, dead on the spot. Amazingly, she did not. She turned around to look directly at Sam.

She was a very pretty woman. Tall and thin. Sam was totally fascinated by her bright emerald green eyes. She was on the verge of crying. The man had passed in front of them and was heading toward the back of the room, toward...a cradle? Sam saw the woman's lips moving slightly. She was telling her something she couldn't hear. She smiled faintly at Sam, tears flowing down her cheeks. She hugged her briefly; an embrace Sam could not respond to. The man raised his arm higher and Sam noticed he had, not a gun as she had always thought, but a stick. A stick? A long wooden stick. At once, the woman released Sam and flung herself in front of the man. What followed, Sam already knew it. But suddenly, she could hear both of them. As if someone had activated a speaker in her head. The woman was screaming, screaming. And this time Sam could hear her words. "Not Harry, not Harry, please not Harry!" "Stand aside, you silly girl...stand aside, now..." "Not Harry, please no, take me, kill me instead-" Sam desperately wanted to move. She needed to help her... She was going to die... she was going to be murdered... "Not Harry! Please... Have mercy... Have mercy..." His shrill voice was laughing once more; the woman was screaming and then...the light. She was falling, falling dead on the floor, her red hair forming a crown around her beautiful face where her green eyes laid, wide opened.

At that instant, Sam cried her name. Instinctively. Aloud. "LILY!"

She laid motionless on her bed. Lily. The dream had been different. She was starting to remember. She still didn't know who the woman was; even if she was persuaded her name was 'Lily'. At this moment, she didn't care. It was absolutely impossible for her great mind to concentrate. She couldn't stop crying. It was a sensation she had sadly already gone through. The death of a friend. She had lost friends, partners since her assignment to the Stargate. Her mother before them. All the pain she had stored up so far seemed to come back at the moment. She was now sure she had been close to Lily. Her grief was unbearable, doubled by the fact she had been there but had not been able to save her. She felt helpless, angry, lost.

She fought her urge to run to her father to tell him her latest realizations. Her intuition stopped her. He may be able to tell her if she had known a Lily; but he had acted really oddly today, and by some means she didn't actually trust him any longer. He had refused to help her, and she didn't want to give him another reason to say she shouldn't remember, by waking him at 2 o'clock in the morning prior to his departure. The last thing she needed was him alarming Hammond, or worse, advising her to consult a therapist...

The lights of the infirmary were on and Sam pushed the door. Janet was busy writing what looked like medical reports, tired, a hand supporting her head, and only noticed Sam when she was right in front of her. "Sam, you look awful...but you're crying..." She led the Major to a bed and let her cry on her shoulder, silent, just holding her gently, for half on hour. "Thank...thank you Janet. I feel much better now." "You're welcome." She forced Sam to lay down. "You don't have to tell me anything. Just keep in mind I'll always be there for you." "I know."
"Good. Let me give you my special 'dreamless sleep potion'. You need to-" "YOUR WHAT?" 'Dreamless sleep potion', where had she heard this before? Janet laughed, visibly misunderstanding her friend's reaction. "I am not poisoning you! It's just the way I'm used to calling those particular strong sleeping pills. Here you go." The effect was almost instantaneous. Sam fell in a profound sleep. When she reopened her eyes, Jack was sitting on a chair beside her.

"Sir?" She rubbed her sleepy eyes. "Hullo Carter. I was looking for you when I met Dr. Fraiser. She told me you had spent the night here, so I just...I was just checking you were fine." She beamed. "Thank you sir. I feel completely refresh now" "Good. Hammond gave us a day off so you don't need to hurry. You should sleep a bit longer." But she was fully awake. Wow. Two days off in the same week. They could have celebrated that. "Huh...Carter?" Jack had stopped by the door. "You know I think you really ought to leave your lab today and see a bit of sun. You'd like to go fishing?" He stared at her anxiously but didn't let her reply. "You must give it a try. The satisfaction when catching a big glittering hauls, it's-" "Sir!"
"Yes?"
"I'd love to."

She was packing her clothes in a small backpack. 10 o'clock. She would be spending the afternoon alone with Jack and she couldn't have been more contented, forgetting Lily and her problems for a good moment...fishing. She grinned. Yes, she wasn't really fond of this...sport. All she wanted was to be occupied. They will soon have an other perilous mission off world and she didn't want to spoil her rare holiday. She passed in front of the General's office and knocked. "Enter. Yes Major?"
"I was leaving the base sir and I was wondering if the Tok'ra had already left; my father's belongings being the only one remaining in their quarters." "The two other Tok'ra's officials have departed in the early hours of the morning. Jacob left for the airport around the same time. I thought he had warned you." Sam was astonished at the news. "It appears that he has forgotten to, sir. Do you know what his destination was?" "England. He wanted to visit some relatives or old friends, I believe. Where are you going anyway?" "Huh... fishing, sir."
"The Colonel would have convinced someone to go with him after all. You may leave then." "Thank you, sir." She stayed immobile behind his door. England. They didn't have any relatives in England! Maybe old friends she needn't know? Why hadn't he told her?! "You're ready Carter? Let's not keep the fishes waiting!" She turned around. Jack was holding out a couple of magazines to her. " 'The perfect fisherman'? 'The wild life of our ponds'? 'Strange and inexplicable events of the world'?!" "Just thought an hour and a half alone with me in a car could be harsh for your nerves" While walking to his car, Sam flicked nervously through the pages, wondering if she should call Mark to know if their father had told him something. He certainly hadn't. She focused her attention on a certain page of 'Strange and inexplicable events of the world' as she sat on the passenger seat. "Ahah! You finally like my magazines, don't you! I might make something of you-" "Sir!"
"What?" He snapped, annoyed she had obviously not been paying him attention. She presented him a page with a big orange heading: 'Hypnosis, the key' She displayed a wide grin.
"Want to try something weird, sir?"

Author's Note:

Chap 2 completed!
That had been a hard one to write, since I was scared to confuse you with the "Zatarc" thing. See Season 4, episode "Divide and Conquer" to understand. A great episode! Sam and Jack tell their feelings for each other! (Well, it's finally obvious and not just suggested)

To Jenny, always, for her continuous support.

xxxxx
Jaina

Disclaimer: I wish I owned the Stargate Sg1 and Harry Potter Characters appearing in this story, but I don't... Bouuhh.....

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Jaina