Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Some Days

by Katerina17
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Some Days

Some Days

by Katerina17

Summary: Some days she doesn't even know why she fights any more.
Category: Angst, Drama
Season: any Season
Pairing: Daniel/Sam
Rating: GEN
Warnings: minor language
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).
Archived on: 2004-11-11

Some days are worse than others. Some days she doesn't even know why she fights any more.

On the better days, she can name a number of concrete reasons: because he wouldn't want her to give up. Because there's still hope, however faint it might be. Because 6 billion people are counting on her expertise, even though they don't know it.

On the worse days, none of those things matter and she wants to give up. It's usually one of her remaining teammates who keeps her going on days like that.

She loves them dearly, these two caring men who have become like brothers to her. But she knows, and they know, that she'll never love them like she loved him.

It was quiet, unspoken, the spark between them. She regrets that now. She wishes she'd told him everything. It's a little late for might-have-beens.

Today is going to be one of the bad days. She can tell that already, from the coffee she spilled this morning, from the bruise where she stubbed her toe, from the typo that completely negated a week's work on a complex equation. It's still early in the day and already she's near tears. She wants to leave. She wants to jump up and run down the hall screaming "to hell with it".

She can't do that, at least not until she's talked to one of her teammates. The two of them made her promise not to do anything rash unless she could justify it to one of them first. Damn them. They know she takes promises seriously.

She remembers how they looked, standing shoulder-to-shoulder, arms crossed, faces grim, looking ready to zat her unless she made the promise.

They only did it because they love her. Sometimes she almost hates them for loving her.

She pushes her chair back and gets up, resisting the urge to smash a piece of valuable alien technology before she leaves. That would definitely fit into the `something rash' category.

Maybe, she thinks, she'll go talk to Teal'c. His deep voice and calm face are often strangely soothing on days like this. He's already talked her out of leaving at least a dozen times.

"Unauthorized incoming wormhole!"

As always, she does an about-face and heads for the Control Room. She's not sure why she keeps torturing herself, why she can't just accept that he's never coming home.

"Receiving IDC, sir," Graham Simmons is saying as she enters the Control Room. "It's ... SG-1?"

She feels a sudden flare of absurd hope, and she looks at General Hammond. His face shows the intense internal struggle going on inside his head.

Anyone, anything, could have gotten that code. If they open the iris, they could be dooming the planet. But if they don't open it ...

Her eyes meet General Hammond's and, without a word, she begs him to give the order. Begs him not to kill this last fragile tendril of hope.

He looks away, toward the Stargate. When he speaks, his voice is calm and authoritative. "Open the iris. Defense teams stand by."

Heavily armed SFs swarm the 'gate room as the iris opens. There is a nerve-wracking moment of breathless anticipation before the event horizon ripples slightly and a lone figure emerges.

He's thin. There are bruises on his face, his clothes are dirty and tattered, and he looks exhausted, but he's alive, and he has made it home.

Samantha Carter wants to run to him, but she finds that her knees can no longer support her weight. As she sinks into a chair, tears flood her eyes and she whispers his name.

"Daniel."

FINIS

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Katerina17