Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Moments Epilogue

by Jackie W
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Moments Epilogue

Moments Epilogue

by Jackie W.

Summary: The year after Jack's defining moment
Category: Romance
Season: future Season
Pairing: Jack/Sam
Rating: PG-13
Warnings: sexual situations
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).
Archived on: 04/06/03

Title: "Moments Epilogue"

Author: Jackie W.

It wasn't something that he normally would have thought about, but when he had glanced at the calendar that morning, he had noticed the date and smiled. One year ago today they had rescued Sam. Later in the morning, while running errands he had stopped and gotten her one red rose. (Ok, so he could be romantic on occasion) and had been rewarded by a huge Sam smile, followed by a kiss that still made him weak in the knees even after a year of being on the receiving end of them. Now, in the wee hours of the morning, slightly sleep deprived, sitting in the moonlit quiet room, he was in an introspective mood. And he got to wondering about that other Jack O'Neill. The one who had stood at that moment in time and taken the other path. Played it safe. Stuck with the status quo. Been too afraid to take the leap into the unknown. Was he happy? Was he even still alive? (He had a tendency to get himself killed in alternate realities, after all.) Maybe he and Sam had eventually gotten together anyway. He hoped so. He knew for sure though, that no matter what the other Jack's life was like, it couldn't be as good as the one he was living in this reality. That other Jack had missed out on a pretty incredible year.
* One year ago *

When they had arrived back at the SGC with Sam amid cheers and hugs, she had been instantly whisked off by Doc Fraiser. By the time I had briefed Hammond and gotten to the infirmary myself, she was looking remarkably better. Showered, changed and wolfing down a meal, Janet was hovering over her.

"How is she doing Doc?"

"Well, Colonel, other that being a bit malnourished, she seems to be in pretty good shape. She could use a good 24 hours of sleep though. And I would prefer that she stayed on base for those 24 hours."

"Can I at least sleep in quarters?" Sam begged.

"I guess so. And Colonel, after I've finished your exam, I want you to get some sleep, too."

"Exam, shower, food, sleep. In that order, I promise Doc."

She raised an eyebrow at my easy acceptance, but she merely said, "I'll be right back to do your exam," and then she thoughtfully left us alone.

"Sam," I started, staring at my shoes.

"Jack."

My head jerked up at that and I couldn't stop the little smile that was hovering. "Go get some sleep Sam, and then we will talk."

She nodded, and turned to go, but my hand shot out before I could think, and I pulled her back to me. I needed to make sure that she understood what we were going to talk about, that I wasn't going to back away from the embrace of a few hours ago. Looking her directly in those big blue eyes, I leaned in for a soft gentle kiss. Then I let her go.

Like I had told the Doc, after my exam I showered, and grabbed a bite to eat. But I couldn't contemplate sleeping until I did one more thing. Before I could loose my nerve, I headed to Hammond's office where I figured I would find Jacob Carter. I thought we should have a little talk before he left for parts unknown. Thinking back now, maybe that is one part of the last year that other Jack can be glad he missed. Jacob jumped to a lot of incorrect conclusions and even Selmak couldn't calm him down. It took me quite a while to convince him I had nothing but honorable intentions towards his daughter. (Ok, so I fibbed a bit there. Some of my intentions were downright dishonorable.) Finally he quieted down enough to actually take in what I was trying to say.

"You want to marry Sam?"

"Hell yeah Jake. I've been in love with her for years, of course I want to marry her. What did you think I was coming to you for? Permission to date her?"

The mention of matrimony had a calming effect. I don't think he was thrilled at the thought of me as a son-in-law, but he eventually gave his blessing. He probably thought I didn't have a chance in hell anyway. I certainly wasn't very sure of my odds.

The next day, reports written and handed in to a surprised and slightly amused General, I eventually caught up with Sam in her lab. After making sure she had eaten, I took her hand and led her to the elevator, and up to the surface. It was a lovely early summer day, and I thought we could use the privacy to talk. After settling us down close together, I nervously started off what I figured was going to be the most important discussion of my life.

"So while you were gone, I had a few interesting conversations. One in particular with General Hammond."

"About?"

"Me, you, us."

"Oh," she whispered as her eyes widened and she ducked her head and stared at the ground. And then I proceeded to tell her everything. About the revelations while talking to our friends about how I was wishing I was the one missing, and about going to see Hammond, and how he was fully prepared to let us work out our future positions at the SGC. At that point she looked up, and I could see hope flicker in her eyes, but she remained silent. I knew she was waiting for me to take the lead on this. So I told her I had realized that it was time to make some changes, because I couldn't see a future where I wasn't with her. By the time I was finished talking her smile could have powered the Stargate.

"So, I guess we had better go talk to General Hammond. Then you can take me home."

This time she was the one that leaned in to initiate the kiss. And while it was still pretty tame as kisses went, it was a promise of so much more to come.

We spent several hours talking to General Hammond that day. Sam decided that she would use our downtime to think over whether she wanted to take a lead Science and Research role, or wait for command of a team. I think she was leaning towards the command though. Either way, she had plenty of work in her lab backed up, especially after her absence, to keep her busy until her promotion came through. Hammond assured her it was just a matter of weeks. So before we left, she officially transferred off of SG1. I have to admit that as much as I was looking forward to the changes this would allow in our relationship, I felt a wave of sadness wash over me at the thought of her not being my 2IC anymore. It only lasted a moment though, because then she turned to me, and smiled, and we headed for the locker room to get our keys and wallets, and head home. Together.

That night was one I pitied that other Jack for missing out on. I stopped off to pick up take-out, and by the time I got to Sam's house, she had the wine poured. We ate in front of her fireplace, and when we had finished and cleared the mess, she took my hand and silently led me to her bedroom. Our first time together was a bit frantic. Over six years of sexual tension were poured out in one incredible release. Afterwards we fell into a sated sleep, and when hours later we woke in each others arm, we had made love again. And this time it was a slow tender act, full of whispered declarations, and loving caresses. When we woke again to the morning sun, we were in no doubt that we had made the right decision. We had slipped into this new relationship as if we had been lovers for years. I guess in every way except for the physical we had been.

We reluctantly parted at lunchtime, but not before I had finally gotten Sam to agree to go fishing with me for the rest of our downtime. Finally. Fishing. On the way home, I stopped at a small jewelry store where I had bought several gifts in the past. The jeweler was a real craftsman, and would make anything you wanted from just a description or a sketch. For Sam's birthday the year before, he had created a necklace of silver with an infinity sign for me. That day I described the ring I wanted, and he promised to have it ready in two days before we left for Minnesota.

Sam and I had spent a blissful five days up at my cabin, where the fishing poles were never even touched. Instead, we took long walks, and we took the small boat out to enjoy the lake. We swam, we talked, and we made love (a lot). One evening sitting in front of the fire, I noticed Sam was wearing the necklace with the infinity sign.

I reached out and fingered the delicate chain. "I gave you this to signify forever."

"I had hoped that was what you meant."

"Maybe this will be clearer," I said as I pulled out the ring. "I love you Sam Carter. Marry me?"

"I love you too, Jack O'Neill. Yes."

Sam had been insistent that we not say a word to anyone immediately on returning. So it wasn't until our first day back on base at the end of a meeting where we had met SG1's newest member, Captain Robert Baker, that the news got out. Sam was just finishing up reviewing MALP feedback with the new team and General Hammond when Daniel noticed the ring.

"Uh, Sam, Jack, is there something that you want to tell us?"

"What would that be Danny."

"Jack, stop teasing. We're engaged Daniel."

We were engulfed in hugs and handshakes, and then Sam had taken off for the infirmary before word could spread. A similar scene was enacted there with Janet.

"Wow, you guys didn't waste any time."

Sam had just looked at her with a raised eyebrow.

"Yeah, you're right. I guess six years was long enough. Stupid comment."

Hammond had called Sam to his office that afternoon, and asked if she would be willing to take temporary command of SG4. Their CO had broken his arm while we were on leave, and would be out for at least another 4 weeks. The rest of the team was due back in three days, and Hammond wanted them back in the rotation. The 2IC of the team had only been with the SGC for two months, and Hammond wanted someone more qualified to lead them until their CO returned. Sam was more than happy to agree.

Life over the next three weeks was good. SG1 went out on a few missions, where we all got used to our new Captain. Baker ended up being a quiet version of Sam. He was smart as hell, and had a good sense of humor. Sam led SG4 on two missions, both of which had been uneventful. We spent our time on base pretty much as we always had. I would avoid doing my paperwork by going off to find Sam in her lab, and after she would kick me out, I would go bug Danny or Teal'c. The big difference was that at the end of the day, if we were both on-world, Sam and I would go home together. She was slowly moving her things into my house. And she and Janet and Cassie were spending hours together planning our wedding. Sam wanted a small affair, but traditional. She decided she needed two months to get everything together, so the wedding date was set for early in September, and she sent a message to her Dad. (After she got over the shock that I had already talked to him) Her brother had been called, and her niece had been assured a spot in the bridal party. Sam figured that way Mark had to show up.

Then an unplanned sequence of events began to unfold that once again changed our lives.

The first series of events started with a request from the Tok'Ra for us to contact the Asguard about a situation that was brewing. Their spies in Anubus' ranks had reported that the snake-head was about to attack an area of space once under Apophis' domain. There was a protected planet in that area, and while good old Apophis had been smart enough to stay away, Anubus had no plans to spare this planet. Big mistake. Eventually, at Thor's request, SG teams including SG1 and SG4 had been sent to warn the people of the planet and to stay to monitor the situation until the Asguard could send a couple of ships. Of course Anubus had attacked before they could get there. Along with the SG teams, Bra'Tak, a contingency of loyal Jaffa, Jacob and a group of Tok'ra had all helped the inhabitants engage the enemy. The battle had been fierce, but was over the moment Thor and his buddies finally showed up. Anubus and Osiris were captured. Although losses on our side were minimal, one death was mourned by all. We lost Bra'Tak, despite the Tok'Ra's attempts to save him using a healing device.

A week later we were all still dealing with the aftermath of that battle. Teal'c had stayed behind to recruit as many of the now leaderless Jaffa as possible before they could take off and be absorbed into other System Lord's ranks. The Tok'Ra took Anubus and Osiris and tried to separate the Goa'uld symbiotes from the hosts. In the case of Osiris they were successful, and Daniel brought Sarah Kane back to earth where she immediately started therapy and debriefing. Anubus fought the removal and died taking his host with him.

One of Sam's team had been injured, so SG1 and SG4 were both on downtime. Our first order of business was to travel to Chulak for Bra'Tak's funeral. Even General Hammond and Major Davis attended.

Then we headed home for some rest.

It was several days later that the second series of events began to unfold. Sam walked out of the bathroom one morning as I was getting dressed looking very pale. At first I thought she was sick, and then I saw the object in her hand.

"Sam?"

She held it out so I could plainly see the blue plus sign. Her eyes flew to mine seeking my reaction.

At first I couldn't breath. I had no idea if she wanted this. It would destroy her chances for a command anytime in the near future. But even so, I couldn't help the smile that started just at the thought of a baby. Our baby. She must have seen it, because she visibly relaxed, and ran into my arms.

"Sam, I know this might not be what you want right now, but you just made me the happiest man on the planet."

She pulled away and I could see she was wiping away tears. Then she lifted her head and there was a look of pure joy on her face.

"I was just worried how you would feel. I know we haven't talked about it, and quite frankly, Janet was unsure with all that my body has been through in the last 6 years if I would even be able to get pregnant. But I want this baby, Jack. So much."

"I'm glad. I don't want you to have regrets Sam."

"My only regret would have been if I couldn't ever have all of this. I've loved every minute of being a soldier and a scientist, but that doesn't mean that I didn't want to be a wife and mother someday, too."

"So we need to get you into see Doc Fraiser. Make sure this test is right."

"I'm sure it is, but I do need to see Janet. I need to find out how far along I am. She is going to be shocked. I was on birth control. Come to think of it, I'm not sure how this happened. Stop smirking, Jack. You know what I mean."

It turned out that we had been together for seven weeks, and Sam was somewhere around six or seven weeks pregnant. So much for birth control. Doc did eventually figure out that just like with some other drugs that Sam had had problems with over the years, the Naquadah in her blood had rendered her birth control useless. Good thing she had never let any of those alien admirers get too close.
* present day *

So now here we are. One year from that fateful day when she was rescued from Novorom, and I stood there trying to pick a path for our future. SG1 is no more. And that's ok. Teal'c is off helping to free the Jaffa, although he is back visiting fairly often. Daniel is happy consulting, translating and going out with different teams to dig in whatever ruins they find. He is spending a lot of time with Sarah, who is adjusting well. Sam took the head Science and Research position as soon as her promotion to Lieutenant Colonel came through. She loves it. She is in charge of a whole bunch of geeks, and gets more time to spend with her doohickeys. Plus she has the gate positively humming. I took Hammond up on that full time 2IC post, which means I spend a lot more time on this planet, which is perfect, because I don't want to miss a minute of my daughter's childhood. I look down at her starting to doze in my arms as I rock her. At almost 3 months old, Katherine Sha're O'Neill is the spitting image of her mother, although her eyes are starting to darken, and will probably be brown like mine. Occasionally. when I look at her I see a glimpse of Charlie, and for a moment my heart stops. Then she looks up at me with those big innocent eyes, and my heart swells with love for this child. My Katie. Who will probably be confounding me with techno-babble by the time she starts kindergarten, and will be wowing the boys by the time she is ten if she is anything like her mom. I can only hope.

As I put Katie down, I hear Sam whisper from the doorway. "Jack, come to bed."

Yep, that other Jack O'Neill doesn't know what he is missing.

The end

(Really!)

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Jackie W.