Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Second Chance, A

by Imzadi
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
A Second Chance

A Second Chance

by Imzadi

Summary: Sam and Jack have difficulty returning to their lives.
Category: Angst, Missing Scene/Epilogue, Romance
Episode Related: 410 Beneath the Surface
Season: Season 4
Pairing: Jack/Sam
Rating: PG
Warnings: none
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).
Archived on: 09/23/03

"So... Colonel."

He turned to her, already knowing what was going to happen. His eyes expressed reluctance, resignation, but overall, sadness.

"Major," O'Neill replied after a moment spent preparing himself.

Sam gave a small smile, there was nothing else she could offer. "That bald man you were trying to remember." Her comment, so reminiscent of their normal, lighthearted interaction, reminded them both of what they were returning to.

"General Hammond."

"Right."

"He's from Texas you know, it's all coming back." Despite their best efforts, the banter wasn't pushing away the pain.

"Yes, sir."

In an instant, his resolve faltered. "Sir." The simple word, repeated, conveyed all they had lost. For a brief time they were together, without rules or regulations to prevent them. Their life underground hadn't been much; in fact it rivaled hell, but that small aspect of their lives provided so much happiness and contentment that it hadn't seemed so bad.

Sam nodded slightly and looked down briefly. It was easier if she forgot. Right now, with memories still returning, it was easier to concentrate on that and not on the moments she shared with Jonah, the instant connection and familiarity, the happiness he brought her.

"Let's go home."

"Yes, sir."

She was careful to step around him, remembering the physical contact they'd had as their alter egos, so easy and free. Now there was awkwardness and loss. She had to be strong though. She had always been the one to keep her distance or at least try to. She'd needed to in order to prevent herself from being hurt. But that was just it, Jonah had done nothing but protect and support her. Aside from their work underground, they had been each other's world.

Walking to the elevator that would lead them up to the dome, tears came to her eyes, but in her typical fashion she pushed them away, refusing to acknowledge the pain she was feeling. If she did, they could never go back to how things were.

"Where's Daniel?" O'Neill asked Teal'C as they approached.

"With the other workers on the surface."

The Colonel nodded. "Let's go, campers."

On the walk back to the stargate, O'Neill and Major Carter went through the motions of keeping the other workers organised, but they were still in shock and followed mutely in an orderly fashion. Halfway back, O'Neill's shoulders squared as he reclaimed his duty and resigned to their decision to keep it in the room. It's what Carter wanted and what they had to do, pretty much for the good of the world. When it was put like that, his feelings almost seemed petty. Almost.

Sam was at the back of the group, trudging along. The return of her memories had slowed and she had reverted to thinking about Thera and Jonah. The lost, despondent look on her face made her blend in completely with the other workers now leaving their world, most likely forever. She was glad to be going home, back to their lives and their important work. Still, it felt almost like a death, she couldn't tell if it was Thera or Jonah she was mourning for, probably both. But then, they would live on, even if things would never be the same.

Ahead she could hear the stargate dialing, see the event horizon rush out and then stabilise back into "Karlan's" "shimmering circle of water". She could see Colonel O'Neill directing people through. Faithful to his training, he would be the last. As it was, she would leave just before him, giving them a few moments alone. Ordinarily that wouldn't bother her, but now, it seemed very important.

His eyes followed each person through, taking note of each of their faces to make sure everyone was with them. Lastly, Sam stepped up the stairs. He gave her a brief look and a smile and then gestured to the gate. His eyebrows rose in a question when she hesitated.

"Carter?"

She stopped completely and turned to him, but kept her head lowered, as if hiding her shame. His mouth opened and closed and then settled in a thin line. She finally glanced up and he could see the tears in her eyes. His stance shifted and his expression softened as he moved closer and took her forearm. "You all right?"

"I uh... I'm not sure I can do this anymore," she admitted quietly. They'd said so much, things they could never say as Colonel O'Neill and Major Carter.

Despite his carefully crafted ignorance of the subject, he couldn't bring up the military faade. They stood like that for a few seconds though it seemed much longer. Staring into each other's eyes, they communicated silently. "Give it time, Carter," Jack said finally, knowing they had crossed the line, but knowing there was nothing they could do about it now.

"Yes, sir." The word was softer now as Sam settled back into their relationship, sadly, but with the same determination. They would have their memories and in time, they'd have a second chance.

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Imzadi