Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

The Other Shoe

by Jessie Carter-ONeill
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
The Other Shoe

The Other Shoe

by Jessie Carter-ONeill

Summary: They were happy. But in the back of their mind, they were waiting for the other shoe to drop.
Category: Drama, Future Story, Romance
Season: any Season
Pairing: Jack/Sam
Rating: 13+
Warnings: minor language
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).
Archived on: 2005-01-01

"The Other Shoe"

Two days after proposing, Sam and Jack were married in a small ceremony, surrounded only by Cassie, Daniel, Teal'c, Jacob Carter, and General Hammond. They had basically been together for eight years. So, why should they wait? Neither could remember being so happy. They had each other, their friends...and most importantly, their daughter. Now twenty months old, Jenny O'Neill was a hand full...a typical daddy's girl. Sam didn't mind either. In fact, she encouraged Jack to spend time with Jenny...not that he needed much encouragement. When it came down to it, Jack was the one who finally broke Jenny from her bottle.

When they went back to work, Jenny went with them. When Sam was off-world, Jenny was with Jack. Surprisingly, he got his paperwork done even though he allowed her to distract him as often as possible. They'd thought about hiring a baby-sitter...or letting Cassie watch her when she was home from school. But, they'd nixed that idea. They both wanted her close at hand.

After they'd married, they'd moved into married quarters on base. They were small: one bedroom, a small living room, a sort-of kitchen, and a bathroom. They kept Jenny's crib in the living room. Jenny loved having both her parents around most of the time. Jack kept her occupied when Sam was off-world. Jack loved having her around him all the time. Even with her as a distraction, Jack was actually able to catch up on a lot of paperwork he'd been putting off.

Two months later, Sam walked into their quarters after an extremely grueling meeting. She stood at the door and watched Jack rocking Jenny. She realized he was singing "Twinkle, Twinkle little Star", albeit softly. As a former Black-ops soldier, Jack had killed with his bare hands...the hands that were now holding their twenty month old daughter. He was so gentle with her, it brought tears to his eyes.

She wiped her tears away. "Hey Mr. O'Neill," she whispered loud enough for him to look up.

When he did, he gave her the most beautiful smiled she'd ever seen. "Hey yourself, Mrs. O'Neill," he whispered back.

Sam walked across the room to her husband and daughter. She gave Jack a soft kiss and then placed one on the curls of her sleeping daughter's head.

"How long has she been asleep?" asked Sam.

"Not too long...just a few minutes. She's been restless all morning. I think she's coming down with a cold," he said quietly.

"She felt that change was coming."

"And has it?" asked Jack.

"Yes. I am officially the head of the Scientific Research and Development Dept. here at SGC."

He nodded. "I'm gonna go put her to bed, then we can talk."

"I'll do it," said Sam, gently taking Jenny from her father.

Before she could, he placed a kiss on her forehead and said, "I love you, sweetheart," and he kissed her again.

Sam carried her over to the crib, kissed her cheek, and laid her down, covering her up. She leaned over and stroked her hair gently. "Sweet dreams, baby," she whispered.

Jack walked up behind her and wrapped his arms around her. "I missed you," he said burying his head in her neck.

"Me, too. I'd much rather be here with you than trying to explain why I don't want to go off-world anymore to a bunch of bureaucrats," she said, leaning heavily against him.

They stayed that way for a few minutes, watching Jenny sleep...both comfortable, neither wanting to move.

Finally, Jack broke the silence. "You gonna tell me what they said? Or do I have to guess?"

"Let me get out of these clothes and I'll tell you," she said with a smile.

"Need some help?" Jack asked with a grin.

"Oh, yeah," said Sam, hooking her fingers in his belt loops and pulling him towards the bedroom. Once inside, Jack wasted no time in helping Sam out of her clothing. He then proceeded to show her exactly how much he'd missed her...quite a few times, in fact.

Afterwards, they lay in bed, listening to each others' heavy breathing and rapidly beating hearts. Jack gently stroked Sam's back, lulling her to sleep.

"Are you sure this is what you want Sam?"

She propped herself up on one elbow and looked up at him. "Definitely."

"But, why now? I mean...you've been going off-world most of her life. What happened?"

She laid her head back down on his chest and listened to his heartbeat. "I just don't want her to grow up without a mother...or you without a wife." She took a deep breath. "When she was born, I'd put in my will that if something were to happen to me, I wanted you to take care of her...raise her."

She felt, more than heard, his breath hitch. She looked back up at him and saw tears in his eyes. "You did that knowing that I knew nothing about her?"

"Yes."

"Why?"

"Because I knew that you would take care of her. I knew that you would raise her to know me...to remember me." She reached out and stroked his cheek. "Because I love you...and I wanted you to know your daughter, even though I couldn't come out and tell you about her."

Jack pulled her into his arms. "I love you so much. I can't imagine my life without you in it. I don't even want to think about that."

"Me neither, Jack," she mumbled against his chest. She looked back at him. "And with me staying here, now we won't have to take that chance."

"But, what about the alternate realities? Both of me died!"

"I know. But, both of you were still in the military. Remember? You're retired." She started tracing circles on his chest. "Besides, I still have uses for you, Mr. O'Neill."

"Oh really," he asked. "And what uses would those be?"

She didn't answer.

"Sam?"

She was sliding beneath the covers.

"Uh, Sam? What're you doing down there?" He gasped as she gently grasped him.

"Showing you one of the many uses I have for you," she said.

"Oh God!" he gasped out.

They made love while their daughter slept. When he collapsed on top of her, she thought that she was in heaven. Then she felt it.

She gasped as he began to harden again. "Again?"

"And again...and again...and again," said Jack as he began to move within her again. Eventually, exhaustion won them over and they fell into the deep, contented sleep of knowing that when each awoke, the other would be there.

An hour later, they awoke to the anxious cries, and coughs, of their daughter. She wanted out of that crib...as soon as possible. The both dressed and while Jack was pulling on his shoes, Sam went to get her.

"Mommy!" she cried out.

"It's ok, baby. I'm here," said Sam, taking her out of her crib. She laid her against her chest and rested her cheek on top of Jenny's head. She felt the heat pouring out of her.

"Jack?"

"Yeah babe?" he called from the bathroom.

"She's got a fever," said Sam.

"What?" said Jack, running out of the bathroom, trying to button his pants.

He felt her forehead as she shivered. "She's burning up! Let's get her to the infirmary."

Sam wrapped a blanket around Jenny and Jack opened the door...only to find the way blocked by Kinsey, his hand poised to knock.

"General, just the man I wanted to see."

"Not now, Kinsey," said Jack pushing his way passed the man. "Come on Sam." He grabbed her hand and pulled her from the room.

Kinsey followed as the two of them ran for the infirmary. "Colonel Carter..." That was as far as he got. Teal'c stepped out and blocked his path.

"Thanks T," said Jack.

"Is there a problem O'Neill?"

"Jenny's got a fever. We're taking her to the infirmary."

"I will accompany you," said Teal'c.

"Mr. Teal'c. You are blocking my way. I need to speak with General O'Neill and Colonel Carter."

They ignored the rest of the conversation between Teal'c and Kinsey. They ran to the infirmary with Jenny still in Sam's arms.

A nurse met them at the door. "Ma'am is something wrong?"

"Where's Dr. Brightman?"

"She's on leave for the next two weeks, General. Dr. Fratelli is taking over for her."

"What's wrong?" asked Dr. Fratelli stepping into the room.

"She's burning up," said Jack.

Sam laid Jenny on the infirmary bed. "Mommy," cried Jenny, reaching for Sam. "Up!"

Sam missed Janet now more than ever. She was the only doctor that she trusted to take care of her daughter. She was the only doctor that Jenny would let hold her. Sam picked Jenny back up and held her while the doctor fussed over her...taking her temperature, drawing blood, etc.

Kinsey pushed his way into the infirmary. "General O'Neill! What in God's name is going on?"

Jack ignored him, instead concentrating on his daughter. "Teal'c," was the only thing he said.

"I believe it is time for you to leave," said Teal'c.

"General O'Neill, I didn't want to do this now, but you've forced me into it. You and Colonel Carter are being charged in violation of the Air Force fraternization regulations."

Jack stepped towards him as coughing racked Jenny's small body.

"No!" cried Jenny, as the doctor began listening to her lungs. The stethoscope was cold.

"Just a minute baby," said Sam. "Let the doctor check you out first."

She continued to cry as Jack moved to where she could see him...where he could touch her without getting in the doctor's way. He began to stroke her hair as the doctor continued his examination.

"Hmm," said the doctor.

"What?" asked Sam.

"Her lungs are congested. I need to get a chest x-ray," said Dr. Fratelli.

Jack looked at Sam warily. "She's not gonna like that," he said softly.

And she didn't. She screamed when the x-ray technician took her from Sam and stripped her of her clothing and laid her down on the cold metal slab. It took all of Jack's strength to keep Sam still when Jenny cried "Mommy!" and reached for her.

"Oh God, Jack!" sobbed Sam.

After what seemed like an eternity, the doctor finally let Sam take her back. She was shaking and sobbing uncontrollably. Sam held her tightly as Jack tried to get her dressed. She wouldn't let go of Sam. Jack had to gently coax her into letting him put her shirt on her, but he managed to do it. Sam wrapped her baby blanket around her again. She and Jack both whispered words of comfort and soon her sobs turned to whimpers.

"Shh baby. You're ok, now," whispered Jack, gently stroking her back.

Her small body was racked by a series of harsh coughs and she cried again.

"Doc? What's wrong with her?" asked Jack. Sam had her head buried in Jenny's hair, her own tears beginning to fall. She was calming down and finally was going back to sleep. Dr. Fratelli had given her a mild sedative to help with her coughing and pain she was experiencing.

"Bronchial pneumonia," said Dr. Fratelli.

"What? How?" asked Jack.

"It's cold in here, General. It has to be. The work that we do, the machines that are here require a colder temperature than normal."

"Yeah, but it's warm in our quarters and in my office," said Jack.

"And in my lab," mumbled Sam.

He was looking at a chart. "According to this, she was premature, correct?"

"Yeah. Almost ten weeks," said Sam quietly.

"It's common for premature babies to be prone to certain illnesses during the first few years of life," explained Dr. Fratelli.

Everyone saw the crestfallen looks on both Sam's and Jack's faces. "There's nothing you could've done to prevent it."

"Are you sure?" asked Jack.

"Positive. I'm going to give her antibiotics to fight the infection. Make sure she drinks plenty of fluids and gets plenty of rest. She should be fine in a few days." He looked at both of them. "But, I'm putting the two of you on at least two weeks medical leave, until she's well." He handed Jack two bottles of medicine. "Put a few drops of this one into her cup with some Pedialyte. This will help fight the infection. It will make her sleep more than usual, but it works."

"Thanks doc," said Jack as he helped Sam stand with a now-sleeping Jenny in her arms.

"Dr. Fratelli?"

"Yes, Mr. Kinsey?"

"Am I to assume that this child belongs to General O'Neill and Colonel Carter?"

"No," was all he would say. After all, Jenny belonged to Mr. and Mrs. Jack O'Neill. A small distinction, but an important one.

"Well, then who does she belong to? After all, she called Colonel Carter `mommy' earlier."

"She's ours," said Jack.

Kinsey glared at the doctor. "You just said she wasn't theirs!" he accused.

"No. I said that she didn't belong to General O'Neill and Colonel Carter."

"She belongs to Mr. and Mrs. Jack O'Neill," said Jack smugly.

"What?" asked Kinsey, his jaw dropping.

"I'm retired...so is Sam. It's all in our files, Kinsey. I suggest you read them before you start something regarding a violation," said Jack.

Taking Sam by the hand, he pushed Kinsey out of the way and pulled her along with him towards their quarters.

"O'Neill!" screamed Kinsey as they reached their quarters.

Jack ushered Sam inside and closed the door behind them. Kinsey stormed inside without knocking and slammed the door shut. "O'Neill, I am not finished with you."

Jack grabbed him by the collar of his jacket and shoved him against the door, holding him there. "You wake up my daughter and I'll beat the crap out of you."

Sam went and laid Jenny in their bed. She moved the crib into their room and laid Jenny in it. She covered her up and stroked her hair gently. Watching her daughter's small chest rise and fall with shallow breaths, Sam allowed the tears to fall. She could hear the rattling in her chest as she fought for each breath. "Get better baby...please. You're daddy and I need you."

Placing one last kiss on her cheek, Sam raised the railing of the crib and walked out. Jack was drawing his fist back to hit Kinsey. "Jack!" she exclaimed and rushed to his side, grabbing his hand. "Don't! He's not worth it!"

She let go of his hand and placed her hands on his shoulders, feeling the tension beneath his blue buttoned shirt. He released Kinsey and turned to Sam. She pulled him into her arms and he wrapped his own around her, breathing in her scent and her calmness.

"Colonel Carter!"

"Mr. Kinsey, I suggest you leave before I let my husband to beat the crap out of you."

"I was told that the two of you have been carrying on an affair for the past two years. The evidence of that is that child in there."

"No. If you had read our files, you would know that the President already knows about Jenny. And about me and Jack."

"Besides," said Jack from somewhere around Sam's neck. "We're both retired remember? You can't touch us." He backed up and looked into Sam's eyes as he touched her cheek gently. "It's ok."

He turned to Kinsey. "I'm still the SGC commander. I'm hereby banning you from the SGC until further notice."

"You can't do that!"

"Oh but I can," said Jack. "And I have. Get off my base."

"Kerry Johnson and Pete Shanahan have brought charges of malfeasance in office against you both. Those charges will have to be answered."

"Kiss my ass," said Jack.

"Talk to the President and to General Hammond," said Sam. "They will answer the charges for us."

Jack opened the door and called for an SF passing by. "Airman, escort Mr. Kinsey off the premises...and if he resists, shoot him."

"Yes, sir," said the airman, pulling his weapon and motioning for Kinsey to precede him.

Kinsey turned to Jack. "This isn't over O'Neill."

"Yes...I think it is," said Jack as he shut the door in Kinsey's face, this time taking care to lock the door.

As soon as the door was locked, he pulled Sam into his arms. "One of these days, I'm gonna kill that smarmy bastard."

"Get in line Jack," said Sam with a smile.

He took a deep breath and led her to their bedroom. They stood there and watched their daughter sleeping fitfully.

"How is she?" he asked.

"Right now, she's sleeping."

"I can see that," he said.

"Her breathing isn't good, but whatever Dr. Fratelli gave her, seems to be working. She's been asleep since before we left the infirmary."

"That's good," said Jack softly.

Jenny whimpered and coughed in her sleep. Jack reached down and stroked her back gently. "Do you think it would wake her up if I held her?"

"Nah...she's out cold...I hope," said Sam softly.

Jack reached down and gently picked Jenny up. She whimpered and coughed again. Jack laid her head on his chest over his heart. He took her into the living room and Sam turned up the heater. He sat down on the couch and held her close to him. He could feel her shallow breaths through the open collar of his shirt, and feel the rattle of her chest. Pneumonia wasn't fatal...right? He allowed his tears and fears to surface. He couldn't lose her. He'd lost his son. He couldn't lose his daughter too.

Sam went into their room and picked up her baby blanket. Walking back into the room, she sat down beside them and reached over and stroked Jenny's back where she lay on Jack's chest. She placed the baby blanket over Jenny and, when she looked up and saw tears streaming down Jack's face.

"Jack?"

"I can't lose her Sam. I lost Charlie. I can't lose Jenny too," he said. He nuzzled Jenny's hair as his tears began to fall.

"We won't lose her, Jack," she said stroking his hair. He leaned against her and placed his head on her shoulder. "Dr. Fratelli said she should be fine in a few days."

"I love you, Sam," he said softly.

"I love you too, Jack," she replied and kissed the top of his head.

"Promise you'll never leave me," he begged with a yawn.

"I promise," she said, shifting to where he could lay down. He placed his head in her lap, Jenny snuggling on her daddy's chest.

Sam leaned back and stroked Jack's hair gently, smoothing over the worry lines in his forehead. Within moments, he was sound asleep, snoring softly. She placed another kiss on his forehead, then leaned back and closed her eyes. Within minutes, she too, was asleep.

When Jack awoke a few hours later, he was momentarily disoriented. The last thing he remembered was sitting on the couch with Jenny in his arms...and Sam sitting beside them. The light weight of his sleeping daughter made him realize where he was and what had happened.

He slowly sat up, trying not to shuffle Jenny too much. He looked over at Sam and saw she was still asleep. Moving Jenny to one arm, he gently laid Sam down on the couch. Then, he laid Jenny on her chest and stroked her hair gently. Sam's arms immediately went around their daughter's small body. He smiled and pulled the afghan off the back of the couch and covered them both with it. He placed a soft kiss on Sam's lips and then on his daughter's cheek. Standing, he made his way to the small kitchen and rummaged through the refrigerator. He knew mother and daughter would both be hungry when they woke up.

Sure enough, about twenty minutes later, Sam stumbled into the kitchen. She was still holding Jenny, but the sleeping toddler was now awake...and very cranky.

"Jack?"

"Hmm?"

"Whatcha doin?"

"Fixing you and Jenny some chicken soup."

"Oh," said Sam.

"Down," said Jenny.

"I can't tell if her fever's gone down any. Can you?" asked Sam.

Jack reached over and placed his lips on Jenny's forehead, feeling the heat from her fever. "Nope. It's still high."

"Down," insisted Jenny.

"Not right now baby. Eat something first."

"Not hungwy," she said feverishly.

They could both see the fever in her eyes. "Want me to call the doc?" asked Jack.

"No. It's time for her medicine anyway," said Sam.

Jack took Jenny from Sam and held her while Sam poured some of the soup into her bowl. She handed him a spoon and he sat down at the small table. Sam sat next to them while Jack tried to feed her.

"Not hungwy!" insisted Jenny.

"Please baby. Eat just a little," begged Sam and Jack.

In the end, Jack was able to get her to eat a little of the chicken soup. Although it was just a few bites, they were both satisfied.

Sam stood and fixed and poured some Pedialyte into her sippy-cup and added a few drops of the medicine to it. She handed it to Jack. "Here," she said softly.

He handed it to Jenny who shoved it in her mouth and laid her head on Jack's shoulder. Within minutes, she was asleep again.

"Should she be sleeping this much?" asked Sam.

"Doc Fratelli said the medicine would make her sleep more than usual, but that it was a good thing."

"Where was I when he said this?"

"Had your face buried in Jenny's hair I think," said Jack with a smile.

"Oh."

"You ready to go home?" asked Jack.

"Yeah. I am not staying on base with a sick child for two weeks," said Sam.

Jack stood gently as not to wake up Jenny. Sam followed him into the living room and watched as he placed her in the car seat. He covered her with her baby blanket.

"Ready?" he asked.

"Yeah. I just need to run by my lab and get some stuff."

"Why?" he asked.

"I can work and take care of a sick child. I've got a lot of paperwork to catch up on," she said, grabbing her purse from the kitchen table.

"I can think of better things to do while she sleeps," said Jack, wrapping his arms around her waist from behind .

"Oh really," she said, turning in his arms and looping them around his neck.

He leaned down and kissed her softly, teasing her lips with his. She pulled him closer and parted her lips, allowing him entrance. He deepened the kiss immediately. She groaned in disappointment when he left her mouth, only to groan in satisfaction as he trailed soft kisses up and down her throat. He lightly bit her pulse point and then licked it gently.

"Why don't we continue this at home?" he whispered in her ear.

"Jack," she groaned. "You...me...bedroom...now."

"Yes," was all he could say. He would follow her anywhere...and he did...follow her into the bedroom that is.

She released him and dragged the crib out into the living room. She took Jenny out of her car seat and laid her in the crib, covering her up. "Sweet dreams, baby," she said, kissing her soft cheek gently.

Walking back into the bedroom, she saw that Jack was still standing where she'd left him. They slowly undressed each other and he gently and tenderly made love to her.

"Baby, I love you so much," he said softly, gasping for breath. He placed a kiss on her neck before raising himself up a little to look in her eyes.

"I love you," he whispered again. He leaned down and placed a gentle kiss on her lips. Now that they were able to say it freely, he couldn't stop telling her that he loved her.

"I love you too, Jack," she said, kissing his forehead and stroking his hair.

He laid his head on her chest over her heart. He thought he could hear her heart beating in time with his. He smiled at the thought.

"What're you smiling at?" she asked softly.

"I was just thinking that your heart is beating with mine."

"Well, duh," she said tugging lightly on his hair.

He looked up at her. The emotion she saw in his eyes caused her breath to hitch in her throat. "I'm serious."

"I know," she said, caressing his cheek. "I know. I was thinking the same thing. I always knew that we were meant to be. But, I didn't want to let myself get in so deep."

She saw the wariness in his eyes and felt the tension in his body. "Sam?"

"But, I'm in...deeper than ever. And I can't imagine being anywhere else. I don't want to be anywhere else. My heart belongs to you, Jack O'Neill. It always has," she paused and kissed him softly, "and it always will."

She felt him relax and he kissed her, the wariness leaving his eyes. He laid his head back down and she felt his breath on her chest, soft and shallow.

"As much as I love having you on top of me, we still have to get home," she said.

He could hear the smile in her voice. He reluctantly withdrew from her body and sat up. "Want to shower first?"

"Yeah," she said, allowing him to pull her out of the bed and into the shower.

After they'd showered and re-dressed, they heard Jenny coughing and crying. Running out of their room, they saw Jenny standing in her crib. They saw it was taking all of her strength to stand.

"Mommy," she sobbed just before a series of coughs caused her to lose her balance and she fell back in the crib.

Sam immediately picked her up. "Jack she's burning up again."

He reached over and felt her forehead. "That's it. She's staying in the infirmary until she's better," said Jack.

He wrapped her up in her baby blanket and took her from Sam. They ran out of their quarters and back to the infirmary.

Halfway there, they met Kerry Johnson...and Pete Shanahan.

"Jack," began Kerry.

"Sam," began Pete.

They ignored both of them. Pete and Kerry stepped in their way, blocking their path. "I'm sorry Jack. I didn't mean to hurt you," she said.

He lost his temper. "You stay away from me. And," he pointed at Pete, "you stay away from my wife."

"Your wife?" they both gasped.

"Yes, my wife. I'll be sending the paperwork through tomorrow to have you transferred out of here...and you...I haven't decided what to do with you yet. But, I can assure you, it will be unpleasant."

He was going to say more, but Jenny's cries became harsher as her breathing became weaker. She started coughing and they both ran towards the infirmary.

"Jack!" called Kerry. "Please, forgive me!"

Dr. Fratelli looked up as they ran through the infirmary doors. "I thought you'd be at home by now," he said.

"She should've been kept here!" exclaimed Jack. "She's burning up again!"

"That shouldn't be. The medicine should have worked. But, I'm not a pediatrician. So, I can't be sure I gave her the correct dosage," said Dr. Fratelli.

"Not much of a doctor either," said Jack angrily. "We're taking her to County General." He grabbed Sam by the arm and they took off at a run.

Making it to the surface, they climbed into Jack's truck. Jenny's breathing was getting weaker. "Mommy," she cried weakly, gasping for breath.

"Shh baby. Hang on. Please hang on," begged Sam, hugging her closely while Jack paged her pediatrician.

They made the trip to town quickly and ran through the hospital doors. They were met by her pediatrician who immediately took control of the situation.

"What happened here?" he asked.

"She has pneumonia. At least that's what the base doctor told us," said Jack, fighting to control his emotions.

"Stay out here. We'll take care of her."

The doctor took a sobbing Jenny from Sam and laid her on a gurney. She was so weak by this time, she didn't even protest.

Jack pulled Sam into his arms and buried his head in her throat. "She's gonna be ok, Sam. She's gotta be ok," he whispered.

Roughly twenty minutes later, the doctor returned. Jack stood and said, "Well?"

"You got her here just in time. She does have pneumonia. We were able to stabilize her and we're trying to clear her lungs now."

"Thank God," sobbed Sam.

"Can we see her?"

"She's in the ICU right now, but I think I can sneak you in."

They silently followed him into the ICU ward. They both nearly broke when they saw their daughter on the bed.

"She should be fine in a few days, Jack...Sam," said the doctor. "I'll have them move a bed in here for the two of you."

"Thank you," whispered Jack.

The doctor shut the door behind him, leaving Sam and Jack alone with their daughter. They watched as the breathing machine helped her to breathe easier.

"Once again. If I see Maybourne, I'm gonna kill him," said Jack.

"Jack?"

"If he hadn't shot you with that zat then she wouldn't have been born early. If she hadn't been born early, we wouldn't be standing here now."

"I know, but he did what he thought he had too," said Sam. "Besides, I don't want you going to jail."

"Why would I go to jail?"

"For killing Colonel Maybourne maybe?"

"Oh yeah," said Jack softly.

They were interrupted by a knock at the door. Two orderlies brought in another bed for them. The entire staff knew that neither of them would be leaving the hospital that night...or any other night that their daughter was there.

They took off their shoes and crawled into the bed. Both knew they wouldn't be getting much sleep that night. But, they took comfort in knowing that now, Jenny would get better. They stayed awake as long as they could. But, because of the late hour, both finally succumbed to a restless sleep.

Two days later, they were able to take her home. As Jack had promised, Kerry's transfer papers had gone through smoothly...so had those of Dr. Fratelli. Although not a licensed pediatrician, at least Dr. Brightman knew about Jenny's case...about her pre-mature birth and her illnesses since then.

They were told that she would be tired for a while, but her energy would increase daily. Until then, she was to rest. Yeah right. You try keeping a twenty month old child still. Not gonna happen. And it didn't.

It was a constant battle to keep her from tiring herself out. Jack even threatened to handcuff her to her crib if she didn't be still. All she had to do was pout and he relented. Definitely a daddy's girl.

About a week after Jenny was released from the hospital, Jack was staring at the picture on the wall. It was the one of the three of them taken the day after she moved in. He was wearing khakis and black shirt. Sam was wearing a light blue sun dress. As promised, Jenny was in her pink dress that he'd bought her. They had an 8X10 on the mantle, a 5X7 on the nightstand, and both had wallet-sized pictures in their wallets. Daniel, Teal'c, and Cassie had one also. Of all the pictures of her, this one was his favorite. Maybe it was because it was their first picture as a family.

Sam was still in the shower when Jenny woke up from her nap. Perfect timing. "Daddy," she cried out, breaking him from his reverie.

He walked into her nursery to see her standing in her crib, begging to be taken out. He picked her up and nuzzled her. "Play?"

He felt her forehead. She didn't have a temperature. "Let's get you changed and then we'll see," he said.

He laid her on the changing table and changed her diaper. He still couldn't believe that here he was, in his fifties, changing his twenty month old daughter's diaper. He smiled at the thought. When he'd changed her and dressed her warmly, he carried her back into the living room.

Sam had finished her shower and was coming out of the bedroom.. "Jack?"

"In here," he said bouncing Jenny on his knee.

"Mommy!" she giggled.

Sam placed a kiss on her lips and then on Jack's before flopping down on the couch beside him. "So, what's up for today?"

"I thought we'd take her to the park," said Jack.

"You think she's well enough?"

"Well, it's been over a week. She hasn't had any fever for the last three days...and she's bored."

"Mommy, pwease," begged Jenny, pouted oh-so-cutely.

Sam looked at Jack and laughed. He had the same expression on his face that Jenny had on hers. "Oh alright," she relented.

"Yay!" exclaimed Jenny clapping her tiny hands together.

They piled into the truck, Jack tucking her into her car seat and handing her sippy-cup to her. They drove through McDonald's and picked up some lunch before heading to the park. Jenny wasn't hungry when they got there so Jack decided to put her in one of the swings. Sam had brought their video camera and was taping her husband and daughter playing on the swings, both thoroughly enjoying themselves.

Maybe twenty minutes later, Jack's stomach rumbled. He was ready to eat. Pulling Jenny out of the swing, he made his way over to the picnic blanket and handed her to Sam. He kissed Sam softly and sat down beside her. They ate their lunch as Jenny toddled around smelling all the flowers. Jack leaned against the tree and wrapped his arms around Sam.

"Jack?"

They both looked up. "Sara?" His ex-wife stood there looking down at them. Seeing Jack with his arms around another woman hurt her. He knew this, but she had moved on and so had he.

"How've you been?" she asked.

"Good. You?"

"Good."

He looked at Sam and saw the uncertainty in her eyes. "Sara, this is Sam...my wife." He saw the uncertainty disappear when he said that.

"I remember you from the hospital several years ago."

"Yes. It's nice to meet you again," said Sam.

Jenny came running back with a bunch of flowers she'd picked. "Here mommy," she said, handing the flowers to Sam.

"Thank you baby," said Sam, smelling the flowers before pulling Jenny onto her lap.

Jack leaned over her shoulder and placed a kiss on Jenny's forehead. "And this is Jenny...my daughter."

"She's beautiful Jack. She looks just like..." she trailed off.

"Yeah," he said softly. "She looks like Charlie...and Sam...and me," said Jack proudly. "Mainly like Sam though...thank God," he added with a grin.

"Umm yeah. Well, I saw you over here and thought I'd say hi." She was now thoroughly uncomfortable.

"It was good to see you again Sara," said Jack.

"You too, Jack. It was...umm...nice to see you again Sam."

"You too, Sara," said Sam, handing Jenny her sippy-cup.

Sara took one last look at Jenny and walked away. Jack noticed Sam didn't say anything else. On the way home, he noticed she'd grown unusually quiet.

"Sam?"

"Hmm?"

"You ok?"

"Yeah."

"No you're not," said Jack. "Talk to me baby. What's wrong?"

"I don't know, Jack. I really don't. It's just...when I saw Sara..." she trailed off, her insecurity rising to the surface. She wasn't able to keep the tears in.

He pulled the truck to the side of the road and pulled her into his arms. "I love you, Sam. I still care about Sara. There's a past...a history between us that can never be broken. But, she's my past. You're my present and future...you and Jenny."

He held her while she cried. When she'd calmed down, he kissed her gently, but deeply. "I am yours...and you are mine. Never forget that." He wiped her tears away with his hand and then linked his fingers with hers.

When they arrived home, General Hammond was waiting for them. "George," said Jack shaking his hand.

"Jack. Sam. How've you been?"

"Great...and you, sir?" said Sam, getting a sleeping Jenny out of her car seat.

"Good."

Jack opened the door and ushered every one in. He had a gut feeling as to why General Hammond was there.

"I'm gonna lay Jenny down and I'll be right out," said Sam.

"Ok," said Jack leaning down and kissing the sleeping toddler on the forehead. He watched as Sam and Jenny disappeared from sight before turning back to his guest.

"Can I get you something to drink George?"

"A beer would be nice," said General Hammond.

"One beer coming right up," said Jack heading for the kitchen. He had butterflies in his stomach for some reason. Grabbing three Guinness from the fridge, he headed back to the den. George was standing at the fireplace looking at the new pictures. "This is new," he said pointing to the family photo.

"Yeah. It was taken about two months ago...right after Sam told me about her." He reached into the desk drawer and pulled out a wallet size. "Here. We've been meaning to mail it, but just keep putting it off hoping you'd come for a visit," he said, handing him the photo and a beer.

"Thanks Jack," he said with a smile.

Sam came back in and motioned for them to sit. Jack cuddled next to her on the couch, draping his arm loosely around Sam's shoulder. He handed her a beer before opening the third for himself.

George took a deep draw from his beer and opened his mouth to speak, but Jack interrupted him. "Let me guess...Kinsey."

"Yes," said George plainly.

Sam and Jack gave each other a `look'. They held their breaths as George collected his thoughts. "He's not happy about being kept in the dark regarding the two of you. He's much unhappier about being kept in the dark regarding Jenny."

"It wasn't any of his business," said Sam, defending her actions. Jack gave her shoulder a gentle squeeze.

"I know that Sam. I do. And I understand. But, even though you're both officially retired..."

"There's the unofficial that you're worried about," said Jack.

"Kinsey has friends in high and low places. Remember what he did when I stepped down the first time?" He looked pointedly at Jack.

Jack's eyes widened. "You don't think...you don't really think he'd try to..." he trailed off.

"I don't know Jack. I really don't know."

Sam was watching this exchange with confusion. Jack had never told her exactly why George had retired that first time. Jack looked at Sam, then stood quickly, and ran into the nursery.

"George?"

"Sam. I don't know if Jack ever told you. But, the reason I retired that first time was because of Kinsey and the NID. They kidnapped my granddaughters." Sam gasped. "They brought them back, but it was a warning."

Now, Sam understood Jack's reaction. Jack came back with a still-sleeping Jenny in his arms. "If he lays one hand on her head, I'll kill him George. I mean it. He's not taking my daughter!"

George nodded. "I'm ordering the two of you to go to Jack's cabin in Minnesota until this is wrapped up."

"George...we're retired. You can't order us to do anything anymore...remember?" said Jack as he handed Jenny to her mommy.

George chuckled. "True...but I can ask. I want to keep you guys safe...especially your daughter." He looked at both of them. "Please guys. Go to Minnesota until this blows over."

"How will we know?" asked Sam quietly.

"I've got some calls to make. I'll be in touch in a few days. Promise me...promise me that you will stay on base. Take everything you need for at least a couple of weeks."

Jack looked at Sam. "I'll do whatever you decide, Jack," she said.

"We'll be in Minnesota if you need us," said Jack. "We'll have our cell phones on us."

The three of them stood, Sam with Jack's help. "I'll wait here until you get packed. There's a flight waiting for you out of Peterson. By the way, Teal'c is in the car. He's worried they might try something too. He and Daniel are going to follow you to Minnesota."

Sam chuckled and turned to George. "Want to hold your third granddaughter?"

"Really?" he asked.

"We want her to call you `grandpa George'," said Jack. "If that's alright."

"I'm honored," said the General.

He held his arms out and Sam placed her daughter into his arms. They stood there for a few moments watching him with her. Then reality kicked in. Within minutes, they had her clothes and toys packed. Then they started on their things. He grabbed her nine-mil and handed it to her. She loaded it as he loaded his.

They piled everything into Jack's truck and with one final goodbye to General Hammond, headed for Minnesota. They saw the unmarked van tailing them to the airport. "Jack?" She knew he could hear the fear in her voice.

"I see it. If I see it, so does Daniel and Teal'c."

Sam was getting nervous...not for herself...or for Jack. They could definitely take care of themselves. But, if those goons took Jenny, she didn't know what she would do.

Jack knew what Sam was thinking. Hell, he was thinking the same thing. He glanced in the rearview mirror at his sleeping daughter, her thumb in her mouth. He was ready, willing, and able to kill anyone who tried to hurt his wife or his daughter.

"We'll be safe once we get to Peterson," he said.

"But, what if they've got someone there?"

"You didn't see what George gave me as we were leaving did you?" he asked.

"No. I was too busy trying to get Jenny in the truck without waking her up," she said.

He held out an object. "The Asgard communicator. If they try anything, all I have to do is call up my ol' buddy Thor. He'll help us out."

"Are you sure?"

"George told me that he told Thor what was going on. Thor said he would `beam' us out in an instant." He turned and stroked her cheek with his fingers. When she turned to him, he smiled. "Besides, I think he really, really wants to meet Jenny."

That made her smile. It actually made her feel better...not a whole lot...but, a little better. She kissed his palm and he slid his hand down to hers, linking their fingers. He pulled her hand to him and kissed it lightly.

"C'mere," he said patting the seat beside him.

She unbuckled her seatbelt and slid over to him. Letting go of her hand, he wrapped his arm around her. She laid her head on his shoulder and looked up at him. He kissed her on her forehead. "Everything's gonna be ok, honey. I promise."

Sam allowed herself to relax until the van that had been tailing them and Teal'c sped past them. She bolted upright.

"Jack?"

"They're setting up an ambush," he said angrily. He pulled off the road and motioned for Teal'c and Daniel to do the same.

Teal'c and Daniel ran up to the truck. "What's going on?"

"They're setting up an ambush," said Jack. "Tell George that we're with Thor until this is over."

They got out of the truck and Jack got Jenny out of her car seat. "Umm...we're gonna need some help with all this," he said.

Daniel and Teal'c helped Sam get everything out of the truck. The van was just appearing over the hill when Jack pressed the communicator. Instantly, the five of them were transported to Thor's ship.

"Welcome O'Neill," said Thor.

"Thanks buddy...for everything," said Jack with much relief in his voice.

"You can put your things in here," said Thor, motioning to a room to the side.

Daniel and Teal'c carried everything into their temporary quarters as Sam took Jenny from Jack. Although she liked Thor very much, Sam was uneasy about flying around in space with her young daughter.

She laid Jenny in her port-a-crib and went back out to the guys. She gave Daniel and Teal'c hugs. "Thanks guys...so much."

"No problem Sam. Keep in touch," said Daniel with a laugh.

"We won't be here forever," said Jack. "Only until those guys are caught." He handed the communicator to Daniel. "Contact us with any information you have."

"Will do, Jack. Keep Jenny safe," said Daniel.

"Oh I plan to," said Jack with an edge to his voice.

He shook both of the men's hands and Thor transported them back to Earth. Jack took Sam in his arms and held her close. She'd begun to cry again...this time, tears of fear...not for herself...not for Jack...but for their daughter.

"We're gonna be ok, Sam," he said, kissing her neck gently.

"I'm scared, Jack."

"I know baby. So am I."

She looked up at him with tears in her eyes. "What now?"

"I have absolutely no idea," said Jack apprehensively. "Plan A never works...and we didn't have time to come up with a Plan B. But, we will."

"We will?"

He looked down at his wife and kissed her tears away. "I promise."

1

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Jessie Carter-ONeill