Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Friday Night

by Grace
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Friday Night

Friday Night

by Grace

Title: Friday Night
Author: Grace
Email: levity12001@yahoo.com
Category: Romance
Season: Season 6
Pairing: Sam/Jack
Rating: PG
Warnings: none
Summary: Just another Friday night
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).

Jack O'Neill could see his breath form clouds of vapor as he climbed the ladder to his rooftop. He carefully navigated the metal steps with a computer bag on his right shoulder trying to maintain his balance. The clear winter stars greeted him with their silence. With a practiced hand he quickly set up his telescope and booted up his computer. He found what section of the sky he was looking for through the lens and verified it to the chart glowing on the laptop screen. It seems he found what he was looking for just in time, a voice from below broke the silence of the evening.

"Colonel O'Neill, are you up there?" O'Neill recognized the perky voice of Jonas Quinn.

"Yeah Jonas come on up" Jack called out to the younger man. Shortly afterward Jonas' head popped up over the edge of the rooftop. He struggled to join O'Neill in the confined space.

"It's beautiful out here Colonel" Jonas said admiring the view of the mountains with a look of appreciation on his face. Jack controlled the urge to roll his eyes. Jonas spent the majority of his time cooped up in the concrete walls of the SGC, a slum would be beautiful to him at this point.

Earlier that week Carter asked him to be nicer to Quinn as a personal favor to her. She was beginning to act more and more as Colonel O'Neill's conscience these days. In a way he was thankful for it. It would be easy to fall prey to the bitterness he felt inside from the hell he had been through. Keeping her request in mind, he held his tongue, trying to find something acerbic to say.

"Yes it is Jonas" Jack stopped to look up at the mountains bathed in the moonlight. "So how was the drive out?"

Jonas happily rambled on about his newest experiences, going to the Department of Motor Vehicles to get his license, buying his first care with the help of Sergeant Siler, a near accident on the way down the mountain.... O'Neill leaned over the edge of the room to see the shiny new Jeep Liberty parked in his driveway. He silently wondered how much Jonas had been taken for but decided there was no way to ask without sounding like a jerk. He needed to score a few karma points; after all it had been a rough year.

"Nice". He nodded appreciatively at the new car and noticed Carter's Volvo pulling up behind the bright blue Liberty. O'Neill watched as she got out struggling to stand up while pulling a grocery bag from the passenger seat. The moon was bright enough for Sam to spot her C.O. watching her from the roof, she lifted a hand up to wave and continued walking into the house.

"So where is Teal'c?" Jack asked pulling himself away from his driveway reverie. Jonas had promised to drive him out from the base. Unlike Jonas T'ealc never expressed interest in obtaining a drivers license or establishing an identity on earth. He was content to stay on base when they weren't away on missions.

"Downstairs, he said something about ordering dinner before you had the chance to". Jack smiled as he adjusted the telescope. Teal'c hadn't been too satisfied with the meal choices at their last few Friday night gatherings. Even junior couldn't help T'ealc when the Indian food Carter ordered a few weeks prior hadn't settled well with the Jaffa's normally iron. He didn't find pizza appetizing either so on the rare evenings it was his turn to order what arrived was always a surprise.

"Colonel; Jonas you up there" Carter's voice rang out.

"Yeah Carter, come on up". Jack called down to her as he found what he was looking for through the lens.

"Take a look Jonas" Jack said stepping back from the telescope to give Jonas room. Jonas followed Jack's lead and leaned over to take a look. Carter was just clearing the top of the ladder. Jack offered his hand and helped her onto the small roof deck. She was wearing boots with slight heels, not the best for climbing ladders he mused. She smiled at the two of them together; the Colonel appeared to be making an effort with Jonas. She didn't think he had taken her too seriously when she cornered him in his office with her request.

"Hey Jonas... Sir Teal'c is downstairs ordering sushi, can't you say anything?" she said. She observed Jonas looking through the Colonel's personal telescope. Something very few people were allowed to do. She gave her commanding officer a questioning look. He instantly knew she was wondering why Jonas Quinn was being allowed to touch his telescope. He cocked his head with a slight smile she couldn't read in the semi darkness.

"Carter after the Indian crap you ordered I don't think you have a lot of say about tonight's meal". Jack replied.

"It wasn't that bad" she said in mockingly defensive tone.

"Thanks Colonel" Jonas said stepping back from the telescope "It means a lot". Though Jonas pretty much wore his heart on his sleeve, Sam had never seen him as choked up before. She watched mystified as the two men stared at one another with something akin to respect. Jonas then descended the ladder in silence. She questioned Jack with a stare but he remained silent.

"What?" he finally asked her. She ignored his question and leaned past him to see what he had in the scope. It took her a few minutes of examining the star chart of the computer screen and peering through the universe to figure out what the Colonel had done.

"Kelowna's star" she finally identified in surprise.

"I thought he might like to remember his home is still out there for him". Sam peered through the eyepiece one more time smiling. She often forgot just how far they traveled on a daily basis. It was almost inconceivable that they had been on a planet orbiting this distant star just a few months ago. She leaned away from the telescope and silently watched him staring distantly at the stars. He seemed to pull himself back to earth and realized she was staring at him. Before he could say anything she leaned in and kissed him lightly on the lips, her hands cupping his face. Her kiss lingered a few seconds longer than she initially planned it to. She pulled away first but remained a few inches away.

"And what was that for?" he asked surprised. It wasn't often....okay ever that women, especially this woman kissed him. Instinctively he began stroking her hand that still rested on the side of his face.

"For being you...again". Every instinct told them to back away and stop but neither moved. The chilled night air didn't seem as cold and the universe so large with Carter standing so close to him. The sweet electricity that passed between them revealed something more than attraction, a love built on years of mutual respect. Without consciously deciding to, Jack leaned backed in to kiss her. This time neither pulled away, letting the kiss lead them deeper into one another arms. The world fell away and they were suddenly all that existed in that narrow piece of space and time that held them. A voice from below broke into their moment.

"O'Neill do you require assistance?" Teal'c voice called from the bottom of the ladder.

"No T'ealc I think I've got this covered" Jack replied eliciting a stifled giggle from Sam. She took the opportunity to pull away from him and instantly missed his warmth. She held onto his hand and kept his gaze until she started down the ladder. T'ealc waited for Major Carter at the bottom of the ladder.

"Hey guys, you're missing it" Jonas called out from inside the house. The melodic strains of the opening credits of `Wormhole Xtreme' flowed through the front door.

"I don't think so Jonas". Jack said to himself as he finished packing up his case and turned his gaze back to the sky.

Finis
+

+
*

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Grace