Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Happy Birthday

by Jessie Carter-ONeill
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Happy Birthday

Happy Birthday

by Jessie Carter-ONeill

Summary: It's Jenny's second birthday. Will everything go as Jack planned?
Category: Angst, Drama, Future Story, Humor, Romance, Series
Season: any Season
Pairing: Jack/Sam
Rating: 13+
Warnings: language, none
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).
Archived on: 2005-01-25

"Happy Birthday"

It was one week before Jenny's second birthday. Jack had missed her first one and he, for damned sure, was not going to miss any more. Even though she was two, she had yet to go through the "terrible two's". He was thrilled. She was well-behaved and was, normally, mild mannered. She had a curiosity streak that rivaled Daniel's...and smart...smart like her mother.

He lay in bed listening to Sam's steady breathing, thinking about the last six months. He still missed Charlie, but he didn't think he'd ever been as protective of him and Sara as he was Sam and Jenny. He couldn't imagine going through life without either one of them. Lying there, he couldn't remember a time when he didn't love Sam.

He heard the change in her breathing and knew she was waking up. He placed a soft kiss on the bump of her spine and loosened his grip when she rolled over to face him. "Mornin beautiful," he said softly.

"Mmm...morning," she replied sleepily. He leaned in for a slow, long good morning kiss.

"Mmm..." she sighed happily, wrapping her arms around him, sliding her hands under his t-shirt.

"Mommy?" said a sleepy voice from Jack's side of the bed.

Jack smiled. "Up here baby," he said rolling over to pick up his daughter.

He nuzzled her cheek and placed her between him and Sam. She yawned sleepily. "Mornin' angel. Whatcha doin awake?" he asked.

"I'm hungwy," she said, her stomach growling.

Sam laughed and put her arms around Jenny. Her eyes widened in surprise. Jack caught the look. "Sam? What's wrong?"

"She's dry, Jack. Her pull-ups is completely dry." They'd been working for the last five months to get her potty trained. Apparently they succeeded.

"Honey, did you go potty?" he asked.

"Uh huh," she said.

"All by yourself?" asked Sam.

"Uh huh," she mumbled again.

Jack picked her up and tossed her in the air. "That's my big girl!" he exclaimed as Jenny giggled and Sam laughed.

He laid her between them again and they both tickled her mercilessly. She giggled and squealed uncontrollably.

"Daddy stop!"

"Why should I stop?" he asked, continuing to tickle her.

"Gotta pee agin!" she exclaimed, trying to wiggle out of their grasps.

Sam jumped out of the bed and carried her to the bathroom. She sat her on the training potty and let her do her thing.

She put a fresh pull-ups on her and carried her into her room. No longer a nursery, the little girl's room had been turned into a Winnie the Pooh haven. Jack had bought new sheets and a new comforter for her. As much as she loved Carebears, she loved Winnie the Pooh even more. She dressed her in a pair of pink shorts and Winnie the Pooh t-shirt. She could smell breakfast being cooked downstairs. She picked up her daughter and carried the giggling child downstairs.

Jack was standing at the stove, making bacon and eggs, when Sam walked up behind him. Jenny wrapped her arms around her daddy and held on. He sat down the pan and reached behind him to grasp her small legs, effectively giving her a piggyback ride. He kissed Sam softly as Jenny giggled.

"I'll finish breakfast," said Sam, as Jack jumped around the kitchen with a giggling Jenny in his arms.

"No problem," said Jack, laughing with his daughter.

A few minutes later, breakfast was ready. Jack flipped Jenny over his shoulder, placed her in her highchair and fastened her in with the tray. Sam put a couple of pieces of bacon and some eggs on her Winnie the Pooh plate and milk in her cup.

"Sit down, Sam," said Jack, moving to get two adult plates and glasses from the cabinet. Sam grinned and sat next to her daughter and began to feed her. She didn't want to have to change her clothes more than twice that day.

They ate breakfast, making small talk about what they were going to do that day. They both had the day off and they were going to swim and play all day. Sam insisted that they go shopping later on that day. She still had a few gifts she wanted to get Jenny.

After breakfast, they played with Jenny on her new swing set for an hour. Jack had thought about a metal one, but decided on a wooden one instead. It blended in with woods behind the house. Jenny loved it. They'd also had an above-ground swimming pool put in. This way, they could swim, but if Jenny got out, she couldn't fall in. They'd only swam a couple of times so far, but Jenny loved it. Sam was right. Jenny was definitely a water baby.

"Wanna go swimming?" asked Jack.

"Yes, pwease," said Jenny.

Sam took her inside and put her swimsuit on her and covered her in sunblock (she had Sam's fair skin), before putting her own. Jack put on a pair of swim trunks. Sam tried to get him some speedos and he just laughed and shook his head.

Jack was already in the pool when Sam and Jenny went back outside. Sam put her floaties on her and helped her climb the ladder, but when the little girl was at the top, she jumped in on her own.

"Jenny!" screamed both Jack and Sam, as Jenny sank beneath the warm water.

She immediately popped back up, easily treading water. Jack grabbed her and tossed her in the air. "Don't ever do that to me again!" he said with a grin.

She sputtered, clearing the water out of her eyes, as Sam slid into the pool. "God, Jenny. You scared the..." Sam stopped, seeing the look on her daughter's face. "You scared me when you did that, baby."

"Sorry," said Jenny quietly, as Jack bounced her up and down in the water.

Sam swam over to them and took her from Jack. "It's ok, honey. You just need to be more careful," said Sam.

"Ok," said Jenny, beginning to lose the look of apprehension that had appeared in her eyes.

They played in the water until it was time for lunch. Sam made cheese sandwiches for the three of them and then laid Jenny down for her nap.

She walked into her and Jack's bedroom to get out of her swimsuit and found Jack standing there changing out of his. Quietly, she removed her swimsuit. She walked up to him and slowly slid her hands up his back.

"Jack," she said in a sultry voice, wrapping her arms around his waist.

"Sam," he gasped as she trailed her hands down his chest, stomach, and further. He withstood her torture until he felt he was going to blow.

He turned the tables and then...

"God woman, what you do to me!" he gasped out, collapsing onto his wife, exhausted.

She chuckled. "I could say the same thing about you."

She stroked his back gently, loving the way his body trembled from the force of his orgasm. He buried his face in her neck, kissing her softly. She raised one hand and stroked his sweat-dampened hair. He raised his head slightly and smiled at her. He withdrew from her and rolled over.

"I didn't say you could move," she protested. She was cut off when he pulled her into his arms.

He grinned and then yawned. "Sleep, Sam," he said.

She curled up by his side and laid her arm across his chest. She felt him kiss the top of her head and smiled. She kissed his chest and whispered, "I love you, Jack."

"I love you too, honey," he said. "Now, sleep."

She closed her eyes and drifted off to sleep, safe in the arms of the man she loved.

They awoke an hour later and dressed. They didn't want Jenny to find them naked. They didn't hide anything from their young daughter, but that was something they weren't ready to address. Nope. She was too young to know the difference between boys and girls. Sam went to make coffee as Jack went to check on their sleeping daughter.

Jenny had kicked the covers off her body and was laying there in her nightgown, sound asleep, curled up with her arm around Charlie. He turned up the ceiling fan and covered her back up. He reached for the camera they kept on her dresser. She looked so peaceful lying there. He snapped a couple of pictures, hoping the sound of the camera didn't wake her. He didn't notice the light glow of the bracelet on her arm.

She twitched a little and whimpered in her sleep. He leaned down and kissed her forehead, stroking her blonde curls softly as not to disturb the sleeping toddler.

Sam stepped up behind him and wrapped one arm around his waist, nuzzling his back. He hummed and turned around, wrapping his arms around her. He placed a soft kiss on her lips and then took the coffee cup from her hand.

"Thanks," he said, taking a sip of the coffee. He took her hand and led her to the living room. He sat down and pulled her onto his lap before grabbing the remote.

Sam laid her head on Jack's chest and listened to his heartbeat as he flipped through the channels. He finally landed on American Chopper and, because Sam loved motorcycles, left it there. He softly stroked her back listening to her breathing.

"Mommy?" came a sleepy voice from behind the couch.

"Right here baby," said Sam.

Jenny dragged her bear behind her and crawled up on the couch with Jack and Sam. After waking up - and when she was frightened - she was a mommy's girl. But, most of the time, she was all daddy's girl.

Sam picked her up and she snuggled against her chest, closing her eyes. Jenny felt kind of hot.

"Jack, I think she's got a fever." Then, Sam felt the tears on her chest.

"Hey. You ok?" she asked.

"No," said Jenny sniffling.

"What's wrong, baby?" asked Jack, stroking her hair.

"Somethin' bited me," she said.

"Where baby?"

"Here," she said, pointing to her arm.

Sam looked closely at the spot on her arm...a small bruise with an extremely tiny hole in the middle. She gasped when she realized what it was.

"Sam?" asked Jack.

"We've got to get her to the infirmary, Jack," she said, jumping up with Jenny in her arms.

"What? Why?"

"That's an injection site," she said.

"What?" exclaimed Jack, jumping up and grabbing his keys off the coffee table.

They piled into the truck. "Ow...hurt," said Jenny. They noticed her bracelet had a dim glow to it.

"Baby, when did something bite you?"

"When I waked up."

"Did you see someone?"

"Uh huh," she said.

"Who?" asked Jack.

"Brown lady," said Jenny shaking a little.

Jack jerked around and looked at Sam. "Oh God. I'll kill her," he said.

"Who?" asked Sam.

"Kerry." He looked at Jenny. "Was it Kerry?"

"Uh huh," said Jenny, starting to shake a little more

"I'll kill her for this, Sam," he said vehemently.

"Mommy I hot," said Jenny, squirming uncomfortably and starting to breath heavily. Her skin was becoming red due to her fever.

Sam could now feel the heat emanating from her daughter's body. "Jack, she's burning up!"

Jack reached over and felt Jenny's head. He jerked his hand back as if he'd been burned. "Shit, she's too damned hot!" He pulled the truck to the side of the road.

Jenny's head fell heavily to Sam's shoulder. "Jenny?" Sam gently shook her daughter. "Jenny!" She shook her a little harder. "Jack! She's not breathing!" exclaimed a terrified Sam.

He took Jenny from Sam. He shook her gently once and then again. She was unresponsive. She'd stopped breathing...and the bracelet had stopped glowing.

"Jenny?" He placed his lips against her forehead. "Please Jenny. Please baby, wake up!" His tears were beginning to fall.

Sam reached over and activated her bracelet. Immediately, they were transported to Thor's ship.

"O'Neill," said Thor.

"Thor, help Jenny. Please help my daughter," begged Jack, tears streaming down his face.

She was immediately transported to a stasis pod. The Asgard began to work on the two year old while her parents held each other and cried, praying to any god that would listen for the life of their daughter.

Hours later, Thor appeared suddenly before them. "O'Neill."

"Thor?" asked Jack. "How's...how's Jenny?"

Thor took a deep breath before speaking. Jack tightened his grip on Sam; trying to brace himself for the pain he thought was coming. He knew what Thor was going to say. She was gone. The last child he'd ever have was gone.

"The child is resting. She is extremely weak. However, she will fully recover," said the small gray Asgard.

"What happened?" asked Sam, weak with relief. Jack held on tighter, unable to speak.

"She has been injected with pure naquada. It reacted adversely with the trace amount already in her bloodstream," said Thor.

"Kerry Johnson," said Jack.

"What?" said Thor.

"She's the one who did this. I want her up here now!" said Jack angrily.

Within moments, Kerry Johnson appeared in a holding cell in front of them.

"Jack? What's going on?" asked Kerry, acting innocent and confused.

"You tried to kill my daughter, you bitch!" exclaimed Sam, lunging for her. Jack held her back.

"I don't know what you're talking about," said Kerry. She looked beseechingly at Jack. "Please Jack. You know me. You know I wouldn't harm a child."

"Bullshit," said Jack. "You already tried to kidnap her. I want to know why you did this."

"Daddy?"

Sam and Jack jerked around at the sound of Jenny's voice. "Jenny?" whispered Jack, barely able to believe she was standing there. She was visibly weak and shaking - she could barely stand. They saw that she was swaying and he and Sam went to their knees and gathered the small girl to them, hugging her tightly and both crying.

"Mommy," cried Jenny. Then she spotted Kerry. "NO!" she screamed, trying to get away from the lady that had hurt her.

Sam stood and took a frightened Jenny into her arms. "Shh baby. She won't hurt you again."

Jack stood, ignoring the protesting of his knees, and put his arms around both Sam and Jenny and kissed Jenny on the forehead. She was trembling in fear.

"I warned you what would happen if you came near my family again, Kerry. I'm going to keep that promise."

Her eyes widened. "You wouldn't."

"Think again. Who put you up to this?"

"Jack, please..." she begged.

"Who put you up to this?" he demanded harshly.

She broke. "Kinsey."

"Thor."

Kinsey appeared in the same holding cell. "O'Neill what in the hell is going on here? What am I doing here?"

"You tried to kill my daughter you arrogant son-of-a-bitch!" said Jack.

"I did no such thing," said Kinsey indignantly.

"You did!" yelled Kerry. "You told me you wanted to know her reaction to pure naquadah."

"Shut up!" yelled Kinsey back at her.

"Thor," began Jack.

"Do you wish the same planet as Detective Shanahan?" asked Thor.

"Oh yes. Same planet."

"You wouldn't dare, O'Neill," said Kinsey, sneering at Jack.

"I told you what would happen if I found you near my family again, Kinsey," said Jack angrily. "I promised Sam that I would keep her and Jenny safe. If it means sending you to a Goa'uld occupied planet, then so be it."

"Drop the shield, Thor," he said.

The shield surrounding the two disappeared. Kerry stood there, resigned to her fate. Kinsey wasn't so docile. He flung himself at Jack. Jack grabbed him by the collar and held him out while he punched him over and over again...broken nose, broken jaw, busted head. When Kinsey was borderline conscious, Jack dropped him to the floor and kicked him over and over again.

Jenny started crying...sobbing. "Daddy stop...pwease," she cried out, reaching for Jack, pleading with him to stop. He was scaring her.

"Jack!" Sam put her hand on his shoulder and pulled him away from Kinsey. "Thor, get them out of here."

Both of the unconscious people disappeared in a flash of light. Through the haze of anger, Jack realized Jenny was crying in fear.

Jack reached out and tried to take his daughter from Sam. She clutched Sam's shirt tightly in her small fists and sobbed uncontrollably.

"No!" said Jenny as Jack reached for her.

Jack dropped his hand as his heart broke in two. His daughter...his own daughter...was scared of him.

She couldn't stop crying. She was terrified. She wanted to go home. She wanted everything back the way it was...before Pete and Kerry and Kinsey.

"Wanna go home!" she cried into Sam's shoulder. Jack looked at her with pain-filled eyes. He reached out to touch her face, but she turned her head, looking away from Jack, and sobbed into Sam's neck.

"We'll go home, baby," said Sam, rubbing her back as Jack motioned to Thor.

Immediately they were transported back to Colorado Springs. Jenny was still crying as Sam sat down on the couch and rocked her gently.

"I'll call Daniel and let him know what happened," said Jack, heartbroken that he'd scared his daughter.

"No," said Sam. She'd seen the look of pain in Jack's eyes when Jenny wouldn't go to him. "You take Jenny and I'll go call Daniel."

He shook his head. "She's scared of me now, Sam," he said, his breaking off into a sob. He looked at her hopelessly. "I scared her."

"Jenny? Honey, go to daddy," said Sam softly.

"No!" cried Jenny, holding tighter to Sam's shirt. A sob racked Jack's solid frame. Sam gently, but firmly, disengaged Jenny's fists from her shirt and handed her, still screaming and crying, to Jack. He sat down on the couch heavily, trying to calm himself and her.

Jenny cried...full blown, heart-wrenching sobs, but she grabbed his shirt and held on to him. "Easy Jenny. Shh baby," whispered Jack over and over again, slowly rocking back and forth. She buried her head in Jack's chest.

The sobs were racking her small body. "Da...da...daddy," she cried out.

"Shh baby. Daddy's here," he said placing a light kiss on her forehead, his own tears coming to the surface. She trembled, but slowly calmed down, hiccupping through her tears.

A few minutes later, Sam came back out. "Daniel and Teal'c are on their way," she said softly.

"Ok," said Jack. Sam sat down beside Jack, reached over and stroked Jenny's back gently. "I can't believe I scared her," he continued. "I just wanted them dead. I wanted them both dead for hurting her," he said, his tears choking him.

Sam pulled him into her arms while he held Jenny in his. She tried to comfort him. She held him as he cried.

"Shh Jack. We'll get through this. I promise," she whispered, kissing him on the top of his head.

"Da...da...daddy?"

He positioned Jenny where he could see her. He reached up and wiped the tears from her cheeks. "I'm here, baby. I'm so sorry. I'm so sorry I scared you," said Jack softly.

Sam moved to the end of the couch and Jack laid down, his head on her lap. She began stroking his hair - gently running her fingers through the short, silver strands.

The child was emotionally drained - as was her father. He hadn't cried this much since she was sick. She laid her head back down over his heart and stuck her thumb in her mouth.

"I love you daddy," she whispered.

He placed his hand on her back and rubbed in slow circles. "I love you too, baby."

Sam watched as they both closed their eyes. Within minutes, both her husband and her daughter were sound asleep.

They were both still asleep when Daniel and Teal'c arrived. They looked in the window and saw Jack asleep on the couch. Sam motioned for them to come in.

"What happened?" demanded Daniel.

"Shh," said Sam softly. "They both just went to sleep." She continued stroking Jack's hair softly. "Can you hand me that pillow?" she said pointing to the pillow in the recliner.

Teal'c handed the pillow to her. "Thanks," she said softly. She moved slowly so she wouldn't disturb the two most important people in her life. When she had stood, she replaced her lap with the pillow. Jack didn't notice. She kissed him on the lips and then kissed Jenny on the cheek.

Sam turned and motioned for Daniel and Teal'c to follow her into the kitchen. She explained what had happened between the time Jenny took her nap and the time they got home.

Fifteen minutes later, they two men sat there in utter shock. Neither could believe that Kinsey would stoop so low as to try to kill Jenny.

"Thor healed her?" asked Daniel.

"Yeah," said Sam quietly.

"How did O'Neill react?" asked Teal'c.

She shook her head. "I've never seen him that angry," said Sam. "I thought he was going to kill Kinsey with his bare hands." She paused and looked in the living room at the two sleeping on the couch. "I think what made it worse was he scared Jenny. She was absolutely terrified of him. She wouldn't go to him and that hurt him more than anything ever could."

"They look ok now," said Daniel, following Sam's eyes.

"I think they will be. But, I had to force Jenny to go to him. It broke his heart that she wouldn't go to him. When we got home, they both cried like their hearts were breaking."

"Jack O'Neill? Cried?" asked Daniel, in mock seriousness.

"Yes, Daniel. He cried. He cried because his daughter was afraid...of him. The man does have feelings, you know," said Sam, almost angrily.

Daniel held his hands up in surrender. "I know, Sam. I know he has feelings. He's just now able to let them show. I think we have you and Jenny to thank for that."

Sam rubbed her eyes. She was emotionally drained too. But, she'd promised Daniel and Teal'c that she would tell them everything.

She heard whimpering coming from the living room...more like muffled cries. She quickly stood and ran to her husband's side. Jenny was twisting and turning on Jack's chest. He'd woken up and was trying to comfort her.

Jenny was crying in her sleep, apparently having a nightmare. "No! No, Kerry! Hurt!"

Jack looked up at Sam with tears in his eyes. "I don't know what to do, Sam. I...I don't know how to help her."

She sat down as Jenny woke up screaming. Jack held her closely as she sobbed. "Shh. Daddy's here. Daddy's not gonna let anyone hurt you again...I promise."

" I scared daddy," she mumbled through her tears.

"I know baby. I know," whispered Jack, rocking her gently. Sam reached over and placed her hand on Jenny's back, causing her to jump.

She turned her head to look at her mommy. Sam's heart was breaking at the look in Jenny's eyes...the look of anxiety and fear...a look that shouldn't be in the eyes of a two year old.

She laid her head on Jack's shoulder and kissed Jenny on the forehead. Daniel and Teal'c were in shock. They'd never seen Jenny this terrified. Their fearless "niece" was slowly coming undone.

"Sam, we're gonna go back to the base and contact General Hammond," said Daniel.

Jack looked up. "No," he said vehemently.

"What? Why not?"

"Because, Sam and I have already taken care of the problems...both of them," he said.

"Jack..." began Daniel.

"Don't start with me Danny. Sam and I both told you what would happen if those two started up again. Thor took care of it."

"What about the Trust? And the N.I.D.?"

"We'll deal with them if and when the time comes," said Sam, stroking Jenny's cheek. She was falling asleep again.

"Look. Her birthday is in a week. Nothing...nothing...is going to ruin it," said Jack.

"So what's gonna happen when someone comes around asking questions about where those two are?" asked Daniel.

"We'll cross that bridge when we come to it," said Sam.

"Daniel Jackson. I believe that O'Neill acted appropriately in this matter," said Teal'c.

All eyes were now on the stoic Jaffa. "Teal'c?" asked Daniel.

"He acted appropriately," repeated Teal'c. "He protected his family as any warrior would."

"Thank you, Teal'c," said Sam softly, as she kissed Jenny's cheek again.

The baby was still shuddering slightly, her breathing was uneven...shaky. She was sleeping...albeit fitfully, but at least she was sleeping. Jack gently moved her to the crook of his arm, where he could see her face. A slight crease marred her small forehead. He reached over and, using his thumb, gently caressed her forehead, smoothing out the crease. She relaxed immediately at her daddy's touch.

Jack placed a light kiss on her forehead and allowed a tear to slip from his eye. He remembered the look in her eyes when she screamed on Thor's ship and wouldn't go to him. He remembered the pain he felt at causing her fear.

Sam realized what was going on. "Guys," she began, but Daniel cut her off.

"We'll see you guys day after tomorrow. Chuck E. Cheese right?"

"Yeah," she said softly, not taking her eyes from Jack and Jenny.

"We will see you then," said Teal'c.

"Bye guys," said Sam. Jack didn't even look up.

The door shut behind them as Sam began stroking Jenny's soft blonde hair. "She's ok Jack."

"I know. I just..." he trailed off.

"I know, Jack," she said, moving her hand from her daughter's hair to her husband's. "She knows you didn't mean to scare her. She knows you love her and that you were only trying to protect her."

He sobbed then. "I...I don't know what I would do if I lost her," he said between sobs.

"I know, Jack," said Sam softly.

"Daddy?" Jenny said softly and sat up sleepily.

"Shh, baby. Go back to sleep," whispered Jack.

"Don't cry daddy," she said, putting her tiny hands on Jacks face. "Don't cry."

He pulled her towards him and she wrapped her arms around his neck and held on. Sam wrapped her arms around both of them. Jack moved one arm and held Sam close. They stayed that way for a while. Neither knew how long. Neither cared. Their daughter was alive and safe...and alive.

"Mommy?"

"Hmm?"

"I'm hungwy," said Jenny.

Sam looked at Jack and grinned. Their daughter was back to normal. He returned the smile. Sam kissed her daughter on the cheek and stood.

"You guys want spaghetti or pizza tonight?"

"Pasghetti," said Jenny at the same time Jack said "Spaghetti."

"Spaghetti it is," she said laughing at the look on Jack's face. "Like father like daughter."

"Yep," he said, nuzzling Jenny's cheek causing her to giggle. Sam was pleased to see that he was finally getting the haunted look from his eyes.

He played with Jenny on her rider until it was time for dinner. As usual, everything had to be cleaned after Jenny was through. Jack gave her a bath and dressed her in her Winnie the Pooh nightgown. He'd refused to let her out of his sight since they returned from Thor's ship.

When Sam came in from cleaning the kitchen, she found Jack sitting on Jenny's bed reading Pooh's Five Little Honey Pots to their daughter. She stood in the doorway as Jenny curled up against her father's side, stuck her thumb in her mouth, and slowly went to sleep.

After the book was finished, Jack slowly made his way off the bed and tucked Jenny in, putting Charlie in the bed with her. He leaned over and kissed her cheek before stroking her hair gently. Sam walked in and kissed her daughter's cheek.

It was late...well, late for them since they were used to Jenny being asleep by 8:00. Jack took Sam by the hand and led her to their room. She went to take a shower as Jack turned out all the lights in the house, doing a quick recon of the house. Seeing nothing, he went back up to the bedroom.

He heard Sam in the shower and, feeling more lighthearted than he had in hours, decided to join her. He quickly stripped and went to the bathroom. He opened the shower door and climbed in.

"Wha...?" said Sam not turning around.

"Just conserving water," said Jack grinning widely as he wrapped his arms around her waist and pulled her towards him.

"Mmm...you feel nice," she said. She could feel his erection pressing against her back.

She moaned as his hands roamed their way up her body, cupping her breasts and teasing her nipples.

"Mmm Jack," she groaned.

"Shh," he said softly, continuing his pleasant torture. He sucked gently on the spot behind her ear. He trailed one hand down her abdomen and tortured her the same way she'd tortured him earlier. He picked her up and made love to her while the water cascaded down their bodies.

"I love you," he said softly as he sat her down on the floor of the shower.

"I love you too," she said, holding his trembling body closely.

He placed a kiss to her lips. They showered...actually showered and dried each other off. They dressed and went to bed, curling up in each other's arms.

A couple of hours later, they both awoke to Jenny's sobs. They ran into her room and saw that she was still sleep, but thrashing in her bed. She was caught up in the middle of a nightmare.

Sam reached her side as she woke up screaming, "Mommy!"

She picked her up and sat down on the side of her bed, trying to comfort her distraught daughter. Jack sat down beside her and pulled them both into his embrace.

"Shh, it's ok," whispered Sam, rocking gently back and forth.

"Mommy," sobbed Jenny.

Jack stood and helped Sam stand up with Jenny in her arms. "She sleeps with us," he said softly.

Sam readily agreed. Jack picked up Charlie and followed Sam into their room. As soon as Sam lay Jenny beside her, the baby curled up beside her. She knew she was safe. Jack put Charlie in her arms and crawled into bed. Jenny grabbed his shirt in her fist as he kissed her forehead gently. She needed the contact of both her parents.

"Sleep now, baby," he whispered, as Sam stroked the side of her face. He gently kissed her forehead.

He grinned as she yawned and stuck her thumb in her mouth. She closed her eyes and was almost immediately asleep. He lay there for a few minutes, just watching her sleep. He looked up and was kind of surprised to see tears in Sam's eyes. She'd been the strong one through this entire ordeal.

He reached out and touched her face, making her look at him. "Sam? Baby, what's wrong?" he asked quietly.

"We almost lost her, Jack," whispered Sam, trying to keep the tears from falling. "She could've died."

"But, she didn't," said Jack softly. "She's fine. Thor healed her."

"I know, but..."

"No `buts' Samantha. She's ok."

"Mommy?" asked a voice full of sleep.

"Shh. I'm sorry I woke you. Go back to sleep baby," said Sam, stroking her hair gently.

Jenny released Jack's shirt and rolled over, facing Sam. Sam kissed her small lips. "Go back to sleep."

Jenny clutched Sam's shirt and buried her head in Sam's chest. "I'm ok, mommy. Don't cry. I'm ok."

Sam pulled Jenny into her arms and cried, much like Jack had done earlier that day. Jack sandwiched Jenny from behind and wrapped his arms around his wife and daughter. It was his turn to be the comforter.

Several minutes later, Sam stopped crying. She looked up at Jack. He reached out and wiped her tears away with his thumb.

"You ok?" he whispered.

"I will be," she replied softly. He leaned in and kissed her lips softly. "Thank you."

"For what?" he asked.

"For being here."

"I'm not going anywhere Samantha. You should know that by now," he said with a grin.

"I do," she whispered softly as he backed up. "Jack?"

"Hmm?"

"She's asleep," said Sam, gently releasing Jenny's hold on her sleepshirt. She gently rolled Jenny so she was facing Jack. She pulled the baby back into her embrace and Jack cuddled up next to her. He pulled them both into his arms and they fell asleep quickly, all three emotionally drained because of the day's events.

One Week Later

Jenny ended up sleeping with Sam and Jack the next three nights as well. The night before her birthday, she slept in her own bed...slept through the night, without nightmares.

Sam and Jack awoke the next morning around 0600 and laid there staring at each other.

"Morning beautiful," said Jack, running his fingers through her hair.

"Morning," she said, returning the favor.

They both leaned in for a kiss, then realized something was missing. They each saw fear in the other's eyes.

"Jenny!" they screamed together.

Jumping out of bed, they ran into her room. They both breathed sighs of relief when they saw their now, two year old daughter asleep in her bed. She opened her eyes as they walked towards her bed.

"Mommy? Daddy?" she said sleepily, looking from one to the other.

"When did you come in here baby?" asked Sam, sitting down on her bed and pulling her on to her lap.

Jenny curled up against Sam. "Last night," she murmured sleepily.

Jack sat down beside Sam and gave his daughter a good morning kiss. "No bad dreams?"

"Nuh uh," she murmured. She closed her eyes, wanting to go back to sleep. They'd woken her up too early.

"You still sleepy?" asked Sam.

"Hmm mmm," mumbled Jenny.

She laid her daughter in her bed and pulled the covers back up over her. She rolled over on her stomach. "Go back to sleep baby. I'm sorry we woke you up."

Jack stroked her hair and Sam rubbed her back until she was completely asleep. Rising slowly so they wouldn't disturb her, they left the room.

They sat on the couch for the next couple of hours until Jenny came shuffling into the room with Charlie in tow, as usual. She crawled up on the couch with them and Sam wrapped her arms around her.

"You awake now?" asked Jack.

"Ya think?"

Sam burst into laughter at the expression on Jack's face. "She's your daughter," said Sam through her laughter.

"You got that right!" exclaimed Jack, tickling his wife.

"Jack!" gasped out Sam. He reluctantly relented, remembering Jenny was sitting on Sam's lap. He didn't want her to dump Jenny on the floor.

"Sorry, honey," he said.

"No, you're not," said Sam, giggling.

"You know me too well," he said kissing the back of her head.

"Yep."

"Mommy, I hungwy," said Jenny.

"Ok, baby," she said, standing with Jenny in her arms. "Whatcha want?"

"Ceweal," said Jenny.

They ate breakfast and Jack dressed Jenny in shorts and a t-shirt. They played on her swing set of a couple of hours before it was time to go. They were taking her to the zoo for her birthday. She loved animals and Jack had actually bought her a dog for her birthday. Sam wanted a Chihuahua, but settled for a golden retriever. He was going to be delivered that night...at her birthday party.

He put her in her car seat as Daniel and Teal'c pulled up. "What's up guys?"

"We've got a problem," said Daniel.

"Ah!" said Jack, holding up one finger. "It's her birthday. No problems allowed until tomorrow."

"Jack," began Daniel.

"No, Daniel. I don't wanna hear any bad news today. I mean it."

"Oh alright." He looked at the little girl sitting in her car seat, smiling.

"Hi Unca Danny!"

"Hiya sweetheart," he said, his heart melting. "Where're you going?"

"Zoo," was all she said, before sticking her thumb in her mouth.

"Jack, are you sure that's safe?" asked Daniel.

He pulled up the leg of his khakis, showing his nine-mil strapped to his leg. "Yep."

"I know you wanted the zoo trip to be just you guys, but we're gonna follow you anyway," said Daniel.

"Daniel," began Sam.

"He's right, honey," said Jack, pulling Sam into his arms. "I want them there as backup." Only Sam recognized the slight hint of fear in his voice. He would do everything within his power to keep her and Jenny safe. "Just stay behind us," said Jack, to Daniel. "I want it to be as normal as possible."

They got in the truck as Daniel and Teal'c got into Daniel's car.

"Daddy, I hungwy agin," said Jenny.

"Ok, baby. Wanna go to Mickey D's?"

"Huh?"

"McDonald's."

"Uh huh," said Jenny looking out the window.

They drove through McDonald's and picked up lunch before heading for the zoo. Jenny was playing with her teddy bear in the backseat.

The trip to the zoo was uneventful...as was the zoo trip itself. Jack took pictures of Sam and Jenny feeding the goats and rabbits. He got a wonderful picture of Jenny holding a baby rabbit. Even as small as she was, she knew how to be gentle with animals. That's why he'd gotten her the puppy. He knew they could grow up together...he knew the puppy would keep her safe when he wasn't around.

She was asleep when they pulled up to the house. Someone was waiting for them. Jack felt Sam tense when she saw the car.

"Easy, honey. Let Teal'c and Daniel go first," he said, squeezing her hand.

Daniel pulled around and parked ahead of Jack. The door to the car opened and General Hammond stepped out.

Both Sam and Jack breathed a sigh of relief, even though the look on the General's face was not a happy one.

They pulled into the driveway and parked. Jack got Jenny out of her car seat without waking her. In her sleeping state, she wrapped her arms around Jack's neck. General Hammond smiled slightly at the child.

"George. Glad you could make it," said Sam.

"Well, I wasn't going to miss her second birthday party," he said.

"But, that's not the main reason you're here," said Jack.

"No. Unfortunately, it's not," said George with a sigh.

"Come on in. I'll put her down and then the five of us can talk," said Jack, walking towards the house.

He carried Jenny into the house and let Sam put Jenny's nightgown on her. "Jack, I've got a bad feeling about why George is here."

"I know, baby. Me too. But, let's hear what he has to say first."

Sam laid Jenny on the bed and pulled the covers up. Jack turned on the ceiling fan and then leaned down to kiss his daughter gently.

"Sleep well, baby," he whispered.

Sam kissed her and then took Jack by the hand. Together they walked into the living room. Daniel and Teal'c were talking to General Hammond.

"George, would you like a beer?"

"No thanks Jack. I'm actually here on official business."

Sam tensed and Jack squeezed her hand. "I figured as much."

They sat down on the couch, facing George. "So..."

"Where are ex-vice-president Kinsey and Kerry Johnson?"

"P4X-352."

"What! That planet's occupied by Ba'al's forces!"

"I know," said Jack. "That's why I chose it and had Thor send them there...along with Pete Shanahan."

"Thor agreed to this?"

"Yes, George."

"Why Jack? Why did he do this?"

"He was trying to protect Jenny."

"Kinsey ordered Kerry Johnson to inject Jenny with pure naquada. He wanted to see how she reacted. It nearly killed her!" said Sam, with a sob.

"He what?"

"She woke up from her nap with an injection mark on her arm. She said that Kerry Johnson had bitten her. We were going to the infirmary when she stopped breathing. We beamed up to Thor and he healed her. He beamed up Kerry Johnson and Kinsey and then sent both of them to P4X-352. End of story."

George was in shock. He knew Kinsey wanted to run some tests on Jenny and he knew that Kinsey wanted Jack and Sam out of the SGC.

"Oh God! I had no idea he would stoop this low!"

His exclamation woke Jenny who started to cry. Sam ran in her room, picked her up, and carried her back into the living room. She sat down on the couch, next to Jack, and began rocking Jenny gently. Within minutes, she was asleep again, sucking her thumb.

"I can't believe you did this Jack," said General Hammond.

"They didn't give us a choice. If I went to the law, then the SGC would become public knowledge. It's not time for that. I took matters into my own hands. I protected my wife and my daughter," whispered Jack vehemently.

"What am I supposed to tell the President? He's the one who is beginning to ask questions."

"Just tell him what we told you. Better yet, have Thor tell him."

"Would he do that?"

"I get the feeling he would do just about anything to keep Jenny safe...as would I."

"Contact Thor and have him tell the President. I know he `accepted' Kinsey's resignation, but still..."

Jack beamed up to Thor and Sam sat there rocking Jenny slowly. "Sam?"

"Hmm?" She didn't look up from Jenny's face.

"Is she ok?"

"Yes, sir," she said, looking up at General Hammond. "She had nightmares for a while, but she seems to be doing better. She slept with me and Jack for a few days, but sometime last night, she crawled into her own bed. So, I think she's finally putting it behind her."

George breathed a sigh of relief. "Good."

Jack came back in a flash of light. "Thor agreed to tell the President what happened."

"Good. Now, I'm going to go home and change out of this suit. I'll meet you at Chuck E. Cheese at 1800 hrs right?"

"Yes, sir," said Jack. He shook George's hand and the General left.

"So..." said Daniel.

"So, what were these problems you were talking about earlier?" asked Sam.

"There're some people at the base asking questions regarding you, Sam, Jenny, and the other three."

"What kinds of questions?"

"They want to know if Jenny is...well, if she's human."

Jack was pissed. "If she's human?" His voice rose a few notches.

"Jack! Shh," said Sam as Jenny whimpered.

"Sorry," he said, leaning down and kissing his daughter's head.

"They've been told, in not so nice terms, to leave the three of you alone...and to stop asking questions. Siler threw them out of your lab the other day," he said to Sam.

"Sheesh."

"Yeah."

"Look, we've got four hours until her birthday party. George is bringing his granddaughters and Cassie's gonna be there. Airman Wells is bringing his daughter also. There are going to be numerous Air Force officers and their families there. No one in their right mind would try something in such a public place," said Sam, gently handing the baby to Jack.

"Yeah, but..."

"No `buts' Daniel. I've still got my nine-mil strapped to my leg. It will be strapped to my leg tonight. Anyone...anyone tries to hurt my daughter, they're dead. Got it?" said Jack.

"Yeah." He looked at Teal'c. "Let's go. We'll see you guys at 6:00."

"Ok," said Jack softly. He was stroking Jenny's curls gently. Even after all this time, he still had trouble believing his life had changed like this. He loved his daughter with all of his heart. He loved his wife with his heart, mind, body, and soul. If anything were to happen to either of them, someone would pay with their life.

Chuck E. Cheese

Jack had rented Chuck E. Cheese for her second birthday. Teal'c had suggested putting a hologram on each invitation that would prove its' authenticity. They were in a secluded area of the restaurant, so only those with those invitations would be allowed.

Teal'c was video taping everything. Jenny was having the time of her life. The giant mouse scared her a little, but her daddy would protect her. Jack had ordered a custom cake with Winnie the Pooh on it. Daniel was bringing it.

There were so many Air Force officers and non-com's there that no one could get through. Jenny was sitting on Jack's lap, thoroughly enjoying the attention. Everyone kept calling her a beautiful little lady. Sam had dressed her in a pink Winnie the Pooh outfit, picked out by Jack.

"Daddy?"

"Hmmm?" asked Jack, nuzzling her cheek.

"I hungwy now," she pouted.

He laughed. "Ok, baby." He stood with her in his arms and motioned for Sam to join them. She'd been talking to Airman Wells and his wife.

As soon as Sam arrived at his side, he wrapped his arm around her shoulders and pulled her to him for a kiss. "She's ready," he whispered.

"Can I have your attention please?" he said above the din of the party.

Everyone quieted down. "Most of you know that I am a man of few words. I wanted to thank each and every one of you for being here to help celebrate my daughter's second birthday. You don't know how much this means to me and Sam."

"Daddy!" She grabbed his head with her tiny hands.

"What baby?"

"I hungwy!" she growled at him, causing everyone in the room to laugh.

"Ok, ok," he grinned and gave her a kiss on the cheek. "Now, that that has been said, let's eat."

He sat Jenny in a high chair and gave her a slice of cheese pizza. Sam sat a cup full of chocolate milk in front of her. They didn't allow her to drink sodas.

After all the pizza had been eaten, Daniel brought in the cake. Jenny clapped her hands and squealed with delight when she saw Winnie the Pooh. There was a giant "2" candle in the middle of the cake. Jack lit it.

"Happy Birthday to you...happy birthday to you...happy birthday dear Jenny...happy birthday to you," everyone in the room sang...some on key...some not finding the right key at all.

"Blow the candle out, baby," he whispered in her ear. She did and everybody clapped loudly. Sam cut the cake as Jack cleaned the pizza off Jenny's face. She gave Jenny the first piece of cake and the little girl dug into it with gusto. She had a sweet tooth just like her mama.

Once the cake was eaten, they brought out the presents. Once again, that little girl made out like a bandit. Toys galore, clothes (from her parents), books (from her mother and Uncle Daniel)...you name it, she got it.

An hour later, Jenny was sound asleep on Jack's lap. They'd worn her out. Teal'c and Daniel packed everything into Jack's truck, while Sam took down all the decorations. Once everyone was gone, Sam realized Jack was singing to Jenny:

"The other night dear, as I lay sleeping I dreamed I held you in my arms But when I awoke, dear, I was mistaken So I hung my head and I cried.

You are my sunshine, my only sunshine You make me happy when skies are gray You'll never know dear, how much I love you Please don't take my sunshine away

I'll always love you and make you happy, If you will only say the same. But if you leave me and love another, You'll regret it all some day:

You are my sunshine, my only sunshine You make me happy when skies are gray You'll never know dear, how much I love you Please don't take my sunshine away

You told me once, dear, you really loved me And no one else could come between. But not you've left me and love another; You have shattered all of my dreams:

You are my sunshine, my only sunshine You make me happy when skies are gray You'll never know dear, how much I love you Please don't take my sunshine away

In all my dreams, dear, you seem to leave me When I awake my poor heart pains. So when you come back and make me happy I'll forgive you dear, I'll take all the blame.

You are my sunshine, my only sunshine You make me happy when skies are gray You'll never know dear, how much I love you Please don't take my sunshine away"

It brought tears to her eyes. Jack as such a teddy bear when it came to Jenny. As rough and tough as he could be on the job, he was just as gentle when it came to her...and her mother.

"Hey," she said softly.

He looked up. "Hey, baby," he said smiling that smile.

She leaned down and kissed him. "You ready to get her home?"

"Yeah," he said softly, kissing Jenny's head. He stood and took Sam by the hand, leading her to the truck. Daniel and Teal'c were still standing by the truck, waiting patiently. Jack noticed they'd both drawn their weapons and had them resting against their thighs.

His eyes narrowed. "Everything ok, guys?"

"Yeah. Just being precautious," said Daniel.

"Ok," said Jack.

"We're just gonna follow you home...ya know...make sure you get there in one piece," said Daniel.

"Ok," said Jack, sighing deeply. He laid Jenny in her car seat and covered her with a light blanket. She opened her blue eyes sleepily.

"Daddy?"

"Shh, baby. Go back to sleep," he whispered and kissed her on the forehead.

"'k," she said with a yawn. She stuck her thumb in her mouth and closed her eyes.

Jack got in the driver's seat as Sam climbed in the passenger side. He thought she looked hot...extremely hot. Wearing a light blue skirt and white poet's shirt, he thought the only other time she looked more beautiful was when she was in the middle of an orgasm. She'd pulled her skirt up to her knees when she climbed into the cab of the truck.

"Hmm," he muttered.

"What?" she asked, turning slightly to him.

"Nothin'," he said setting his hand on her knee and giving it a light squeeze.

He ran his hand up her thigh, causing her to gasp. "Jack!"

"What?" he said, never taking his eyes from the road.

"Jenny's in the backseat!"

"So?" he muttered, and slid his hand even further, sliding his fingers between the leg of her panties and her body.

He moved and so did she. She bucked against his fingers erratically. By the time he stopped at a red light, Sam had regained her composure. She slid across the seat and, taking his head in her hands, planted an extremely erotic, open-mouthed kiss on him.

When they broke apart, she asked huskily, "Want me to take care of that for you?" She reached down and stroked him through his pants.

He leaned his head against the steering wheel with a groan. "You'd better stop that or..." he trailed off when she squeezed him.

"Or what?" she asked saucily.

"Or, those people in that car over there are gonna see you in all your glory," he growled huskily.

She quickly removed her hand when she realized they were being watched by a couple that had to have been in their seventies. She blushed and moved back over to her seat, putting her seatbelt back on.

Sam was still blushing when they pulled into their driveway. Jack got Jenny out of her car seat as Sam unlocked the front door. Daniel and Teal'c had decided to stay the night just in case someone came around...looking for trouble.

Jack carried Jenny into the house and let Sam put her in her gown. Sam woke her up to brush her teeth and the little girl was not happy. She cried, but in the end, she brushed her teeth like her mommy said.

After she'd rinsed, Jack picked her up and carried her to her bedroom. In the few seconds it took to get in her bedroom, she was sound asleep.

He chuckled softly as Sam turned back her covers. He laid Jenny down and put Charlie in her arms. She rolled over and stuck her thumb in her mouth. He tucked the light-weight blanket around her and kissed her cheek.

"Sweet dreams, sweetheart," he said softly and stroked her hair. Her hair was getting long, the curls becoming more pronounced.

Sam leaned over and kissed her cheek too. "Happy birthday, baby. Sleep well."

Jack took her hand and led her to their bedroom. He undressed her slowly and then, lowering her on the bed, gave her the most incredible night of her life.

He pulled her close to him and spooned behind her. "I love you, Sam," he whispered.

"I love you, too, Jack," she replied with a yawn.

"Get some sleep, honey," he said with a chuckle. "The terrible twos may have started."

"Ya sure ya betcha!"

Chapter Six

1

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Jessie Carter-ONeill