Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Birthday Revelations

by GatinGauntlett
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Birthday Revelations

by Gatin' Gauntlett

TITLE: Birthday Revelations
AUTHOR: Gatin' Gauntlett
EMAIL: Beth_Supersaint@yahoo.com
CATEGORY: Romance
PAIRING: Daniel/Janet
SPOILERS: Any with Cassie in
SEASON / SEQUEL: 4
RATING: PG-13
CONTENT WARNINGS: none
SUMMARY: Daniel reveals his feelings for Janet with the help of a special birthday gift.
STATUS: Complete
ARCHIVE: Heliopolis
DISCLAIMER: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. We have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the authors. Not to be archived without permission of the authors.
AUTHOR'S NOTES: A big thank you to my beta Becca. Also thank you to those at the Dan and Jan lists for all the positive comments. Please send me feedback :)

Daniel leaned back sighing in his chair; he'd finally finished cataloguing the artefacts that SG-6 had brought back from their mission last week. Downing the last of his coffee, he grabbed his jacket and headed out the door of his lab. His watch read 7:15pm as he left the base at Cheyenne Mountain. Daniel smiled, Janet's shift didn't end until 7:45pm tonight; he had just enough time to put his plan into place.

After driving through the final checkpoint, Daniel took his cell phone from his shirt pocket and dialled Janet's house.

*Ring Ring*

*Ring Ring*

'Hello?'

'Hey Cass! It's D...'

'Daniel, how ya doin'?' asked Cassie, Janet's adopted daughter. 'I'm afraid Mom's not here, she's still at work; I'll pass a message on though if you like.'

'No! No, that's alright.' Daniel replied quickly. ' In fact, I rang to ask you a favour.'

'Me?'

'Yeh, actually I'm on my way home from work, is it alright if I pop to yours first, I promise I'll explain every thing then.'

'Sure,' Cassie replied. Daniel could almost see her shrugging across the phone line.

'I'll see you in about half an hour okay?'

'Kay,' came the reply as she hang up. Starring at the phone she wondered aloud, 'what the heck was that about?' Oh well, if Daniel wanted a favour she'd certainly try to help him, especially seeing that she had a paper on Ancient Egypt due in tomorrow, which she could certainly do with assistance on.

Daniel walked up the stairs leading to Janet's door, telling himself to stop being nervous, it's only Cassie for crying out loud! As his hand reached out to knock on the door, it was suddenly swung open.

'Hey Daniel, what's up?' Cassie asked gesturing him inside.

*Just take a deep breath*, he told himself as he entered, *it's not too late to back out, just make up an excuse and leave...No! Just do it you coward, it's Janet's birthday in two days it's a perfect opportunity.* Realising that Cassie was starting to stare at him strangely, he cleared his throat a little, 'Hey Cass'.

'So...you mentioned something about a favour' Cassie prompted, as she lead him into the living room.

Daniel took a deep breath. *This is it Jackson, after this, there's no going back* Reaching into the inside of his jacket, he produced a small, paper wrapped box, complete with a white envelope.

'What's that?' Cassie asked moving closer to get a better look; as she did so, she spotted Janet's name on the envelope. 'That for Mom's birthday? I thought you guys had already got her a present?' She watched in mild amusement as Daniel's cheeks started to turn red; was he blushing?

'Ah, well, um yes we did, as SG-1, but you see this one's from me,' Daniel hurriedly explained.

Cassie looked at the present in confusion 'Oh. Okay...' she replied slowly.

Seeing the look on her face, Daniel decided he'd better hurry and clarify himself before he completely embarrassed himself. 'Ah well as you probably know SG-1 is on a mission when it's your mum's birthday and so I was kinda hoping that you'd give it to her for me. After the party though, ah privately if um that's okay?' he asked looking hopefully at her, willing her to understand.

'Sure. Okay then'. She still looked slightly unsure, but she seemed to accept his explanation without question, for that Daniel was grateful.

Daniel let out a breath he hadn't realised he'd been holding. 'Thanks Cass, I owe you big time'

'Well,' Cassie said eying Daniel hopefully. 'If you're not in a hurry, could you read my history essay? It's on ancient Egypt, I just want to check if what I've written is right, and you probably know more than my teacher, so...' Innocently she looked at him through her eyelashes.

Daniel looked down at her and grinned, how could he say no to that puppy dog look? He wondered briefly if she'd been taking secret lessons from him, after all Jack always said that he'd mastered that look long ago. 'Of course I'll look it over for you' He was rewarded with a beaming smile.

'It's just upstairs, I'll go and get it.' She turned and headed towards the steps leading to the next floor; she took the present with her to place in the safety of her bedroom, 'Make yourself at home; help yourself to coffee or something', she called over her shoulder in Daniel's vague direction.

As her footsteps were heard above him he wandered into the kitchen; coffee sounded like a great idea. He started making himself a cup, when he heard a car pull into the driveway. 'Mum's home!' Cassie shouted from upstairs, stating the obvious. *Calm down, Jackson,* he told himself, as he took a deep breath *Janet doesn't know about the present and Cassie won't tell her –will she? * Daniel started panicking; he had told her to keep it a secret, hadn't he?

Cassie bounded down the stairs, essay in-hand, at the same moment the door was opened.

'Cass, whose car is that in the driveway?' Janet asked, puzzled as she hung her coat up and slipped off her shoes.

'Ahh that would be mine,' a voice called from the kitchen, making Janet jump. A moment later Daniel emerged from the doorway with a mug of steaming coffee. He was wearing lightly coloured slacks, with a blue jumper that accented the colour of his eyes.

Forcing herself to stop drooling she asked, 'Daniel? What are you doing here?' The confusion was evident in her voice. 'Is there something I can help you with?' She asked.

'No, he came to see me' Cassie replied sweetly, passing her mother to sit on the sofa, placing her essay onto the table.

'You?' Janet looked suspiciously over at Daniel; she inwardly smiled. *He looks like a deer caught in headlights,* Janet thought. *No* she corrected herself *Make that a cute dear caught in headlights!*

Daniel panicked and jumped in quickly before Cassie could reply. 'I promised Cassie I'd help her with her history paper.' He smiled at Janet nervously and shrugged his shoulders, whilst giving her his famous puppy dog look. Janet's insides melted *If only he'd come to see me,* she thought wistfully, before telling herself that she should just be happy that he was in her living room.

Janet smiled and indicated to the sofa Cassie was sitting in, 'Well don't let me get in your way' she said sweetly, 'I would offer you a coffee but it appears you've already covered that base!' She laughed lightly as Daniel had the grace to look sheepish.

'Sorry, Cassie offered and I couldn't resist!' Daniel commented as he settled himself next to the teenager. His eyes never left Janet as she went upstairs to change. *She's so beautiful* Daniel thought to himself before forcing himself to concentrate on what Cassie was saying. '...and it's due in tomorrow so I'm really glad you came by. I'm not really sure what to write for the conclusion, I don't even know if I've included enough relevant points to even write a conclusion yet, but...'

'Cass,' Daniel interrupted her, 'Just let me see what you've done so far, okay?' Cassie reluctantly picked up the essay in question and handed it to him, she really hoped Daniel didn't think she was stupid; it was just that she wasn't very good at history.

*Okay* Janet thought starring at her closet, *there must be something in here that's suitable to wear! You want something casual, but still sexy. You've come home after a busy day, you're just going to heat the dinner then relax, just because Daniel's here doesn't mean...* Janet took an exasperated sigh *What was she doing? Daniel was downstairs in HER house, why the hell was she wasting time staring at clothes when she could be staring at him? *

Casting one last glance at her clothes collection, she decided on a sweatshirt and black leggings. Looking at her reflection in her full-length mirror, Janet smiled, happy with the choice she'd made. Not having time or the patience to put any more make-up on, she decided to deal with her hair instead. Removing it from the military bun and pins, she ran her brush down it. She smiled as her auburn hair just brushed her shoulders; *Perfect,* she thought as she turned and left her bedroom.

'Um, you've mentioned both Hyperion and Apollo as if they ruled together as friends.'

'They didn't?' Cassie asked, confused.

Before Daniel could answer he was distracted by a noise, looking up, he spotted Janet coming down the stairs. *Oh, she's so beautiful,* he thought as she continued into the living room. *Stop gawking at her,* he instructed himself and he quickly looked back down at the essay, what had he been saying?

'Um, no, Hyperion was the sun god, until the Titans fell from power and were overthrown by the Olympians and Apollo replaced him, it's actually a fascinating story; John Keats wrote a couple of poems about it...' He glanced over to Cassie seeing her raised eyebrow he continued quickly, not wanting to embarrass himself in front of Janet '...but anyway the point is they're from Greek mythology not ancient Egypt. If you wanna write about the sun god then you have to refer to Ra.' Daniel said, shuddering slightly.

'Who?' Cassie asked, looking puzzled.

'Sounds like you might be there for a while,' Janet commented, settling herself into the chair across from the sofa, smiling as Cassie threw a mock glare in her direction. 'You wanna stay for dinner? After all you are helping Cass.' *Please say yes* she silently encouraged him.

Daniel tried to swallow but his mouth had gone dry *She wanted him to stay for dinner?* Glancing at Cassie, before returning his gaze to Janet, he smiled uncertainly. 'Are you sure?' Daniel really wanted to stay, but didn't want to impose any more then he already was.

'Of course I'm sure. As long as you don't mind yesterday's left-overs heated-up.' She smiled at him reassuringly. 'There's plenty to go around Daniel, honestly.' She held her breath as she waited for him to answer.

Daniel smiled at her, 'Well in that case, I'd love to stay.' Today was definitely turning out for the better, Daniel thought, glad he'd finally had the courage to drop around her birthday present; he'd been gathering the courage to do it ever since he'd bought it two weeks ago.

Janet smiled back at him. 'I'll go and warm it in a little while, after I've rested my feet for a bit'. *What am I saying? * Janet thought groaning inwardly, *I'm talking about my feet in front of Daniel? What do I think he's going to do, offer to massage them for me? Oh, don't go there,* she warned herself, almost missing Daniel's question.

'Busy day?' he asked, looking mildly concerned.

'The usual! But no major catastrophes though, thank goodness!' Janet replied, tucking her legs underneath herself, curling up in the chair and rested her head against her knee.

*She looks exhausted,* Daniel thought, feeling slightly guilty to agreeing to stay. *Now she has another mouth to feed.* 'Let me know if there's anything I can do to help' Daniel said sincerely; to which Janet smiled and nodded.

Turning back to Cassie and the essay at hand, he continued his miniature lecture on the difference between Greek and Egyptian mythology, trying not to think of how close to home it now came.

'So they considered some animals sacred as well as gods?' Cassie asked. They had been talking about her essay for over half-an-hour and she was learning loads, much more than in her history classes at school; Daniel was a great teacher, he made it sound fascinating instead of boring and dull.

'Yes, mainly due to the fact they believed certain animals represented gods in different forms.' Cassie nodded he'd talked a bit about that already. 'Some of these sacred animals include birds, Bulls, Rams...'

He trailed off as he heard soft snoring coming from the armchair opposite. Glancing over at Janet's form, he couldn't help smiling. *She looks so peaceful,* he thought *Nothing like the tough military woman she has to acts like at work.*

'Do you think I was boring her?' Daniel asked, grinning. Cassie looked over at her mother and smiled. 'Nah! This isn't boring, she must be tired.' Cassie replied.

'How's this for a plan?' Daniel suggested 'You come and show me where the evening meal is and I'll heat it up, while you try to write a couple of paragraphs on what we've been talking about. Then we'll wake your Mom up, eat dinner and I'll see what you've managed to come up with, besides it's almost finished.'

'That sounds great! I'm starving!' Cassie grinned *This man is great! I really hope he gets together with my mum soon; they'd be so sweet together! *

'Okay then.' Daniel helped Cassie off the sofa and together they headed towards the kitchen.

Stopping the microwave before it beeped, Daniel removed the newly heated food and divided it equally between the three waiting plates. Cassie looked up from her essay as she spotted Daniel carrying two of the plates through into the dinning room; it smelled delightful. Signalling to him that she'd get the third, she got up and left the room.

Placing the plates on the dinner table, Daniel re-entered the living room and slowly approached Janet's chair. Crouching down so that he was level with her face, he smiled, allowing himself a moment to simply stare at her. *I wonder if I'll ever see her like this again * he mused as his hand reached over to gently shake her shoulder. *I certainly hope I do.* He tried to stop all the fantasies he'd had about waking up beside Janet from coming to the surface as he softly spoke her name.

'Janet' he called softly 'Time to wake up.'

She murmured something, which he didn't quite catch as she snuggled her head deeper into the crook of her arm. Daniel just smiled *So cute,* he commented silently as he tried again, this time a little louder and firmer.

'Janet!' This time she slowly opened her eyes and for a moment their eyes met and locked. *This must be a dream,* Janet thought to herself as she starred into the eyes of the man who... the man who was actually in her house, staring right back at her *Oh no!* she broke their eye contact as she remembered the earlier events.

'Um,' Janet looked down embarrassed. 'I guess I was more tired than I thought. Just give me a moment and I'll go heat up...' She didn't even finish her sentence as the aroma of cooked food finally reached her nose and her stomach grumbled.

'I, um, kinda already heated it up for you. I wasn't in a hurry or anything, I just thought it would have been a shame to wake you.' Daniel was also blushing as he stood up, still slightly caught off-guard from the look they'd exchange, it had been as if she had looked right into his soul. *I really hope I didn't let my feelings show, no wonder she's embarrassed, maybe she was too tired to notice.* Being the perfect gentleman, Daniel reached out his hand to help her up from her chair.

The moment their hands touched, both gasped from the jolt of electricity which seemed to course through their bodies, radiating from their joined hands; once again their eyes met. Such dept and intensity was conveyed between the two of them. Never breaking eye contact, Janet slowly allowed herself to be pulled into a standing position; their bodies a mere few centimetres apart. Slowly Daniel leaned forward *He gonna kiss me!* Janet thought as she closed her eyes, waiting, she could feel his breath against her lips...

'Hey guys, it's gonna get cold, what's the problem!'

Both of them jumped backwards as if shot; Janet colliding with the armchair. As she regained her balance, she cleared her throat and shouted, 'We're just coming, honey.' Taking a deep breath, she risked a glance over at Daniel, who looked a little preoccupied. Walking past him, she lightly tugged on his sleeve. 'Come on, you heard the lady!' Janet said, grinning, causing Daniel's face to split into a smile as he obediently followed her to the table.

'That was great,' Cassie complimented as she pushed her now empty plate slightly away from her. 'I couldn't eat another bite! Thanks, Mom, for cooking it, and thanks Daniel for heating it up - you guys make a great team!' she said, beaming. She had really enjoyed the meal, it wasn't just the food, but the company had been great as well. 'Hey Daniel, just give me another 10 minutes with this essay, before I show you the improved version,' Cassie said, leaving the table and heading towards the living room.

Janet glanced over at Daniel, as once again she was left in the room alone with this gorgeous man. *Calm down. You're a grown woman, for crying out loud.* Janet silently berated herself for acting like a love sick teenager. *It's just Daniel. You were speaking to him at work just this morning and you're his doctor for goodness sake.*

Daniel looked over at Janet, wondering what she was thinking about; he hoped it was him. Standing up silently, he started gathering the dirty plates, which seemed to be enough to break Janet from her thoughts.

'Hey, let me get that!' Janet said, also standing up to help. 'You cooked, and you're supposed to be the guest.' *He's such a gentleman,* Janet thought, cutting off his protest before it left his mouth. 'Honestly Daniel, I insist. So far I haven't been much of a host have I?' Janet said smiling.

'Janet, at least let me help with the dishes' Daniel protested *We're friends, what's with this hostess/guest thing? I always help Jack with the dishes!*

'Absolutely not.' She wasn't going to let him go anywhere near the dishes. *What would he think of me, he'd never want to eat here again, and we can't have that! *

'Come on, you heard Cass, I've got 10 minutes to kill!' Daniel pleaded. *Trying that puppy dog look on her again probably wouldn't hurt right about now,* he thought.

'And you want to spend that time washing up the dishes?' She shot back in disbelief. *A man that wanted to do the dishes? Wonder what he'd look like in my apron,* she said, smiling at the thought.

'Yes. It's that or sitting here at this table alone, and quite frankly I can do that at my house any time so...' *Please! I really want to spend some time with you, even if it's doing the boring chore of washing up.*

Janet gave in with a smile, 'Okay! Have it your way, Dish-man!' *Dish-man? What the hell am I saying?* Janet thought, as she quickly carried the plates to the kitchen, not giving him time to respond.

*Dish-man?* Daniel wondered, as he carried out the cups, *I'm not even going to ask!*

As Cassie approached the kitchen, she could hear the sound of laughter. Peeping her head in she stopped in her tracks; she couldn't help but laugh at the scene in front of her.

Everything seemed to be covered in bubbles, even the toaster hadn't escaped its soapy fate; and right in the middle of the mess stood her Mom and Daniel. *Was he wearing an apron?* Cassie wondered as she loudly cleared her throat.

A startled silence filled the kitchen as the pair looked guiltily in her direction; they looked like kids who'd been caught stealing from the cookie jar. Cassie had to laugh once again; how old were they?

'Um, I just wanted you to know I'm ready for you to look at my essay Daniel, but, uh, I don't mind waiting, I can see you've got more important things to deal with,' Cassie said, grinning. 'I'll meet you in the other room, but take your time though!' With that she left the kitchen.

Unable to contain it any longer the bubble-covered pair burst out in fits of laughter. After what seemed like an eternity, Daniel wiped the tears from his eyes, and headed towards the door. *Who called washing up a boring chore?* Daniel asked himself. *I never have that much fun doing the dishes with Jack or Sam!*

After leaving the kitchen, Daniel heard Janet shout, 'Daniel I need my apron back!' Grinning, he turned around and complied with her command.

'...and in conclusion, Ancient Egypt was a fascinating place, which we can revisit through the magical world of mythology.' Cassie finished reading, and beamed at the man sitting beside her. 'Wow! Thanks, Daniel, this is great; Mrs Leigh will love it, it has to be worth at least a B!'

Janet watched her ecstatic daughter from the safety of her armchair; she couldn't help but smile. Cassie had worked hard on that essay, and now thanks to Daniel's help, she'd get the grade she deserved; Janet was proud of her daughter and very grateful to Daniel. *What other guy would give up an entire evening to prepare meals, do homework and help with the dishes? He'd make a terrific father. Whoa, where did that thought come from?* she wondered.

'I'm glad I could help, after all, you're the one that put all that effort into. Mrs Leigh must be mad if she doesn't give you an A*, it's a great essay,' Daniel reasoned.

'Thanks,' Cassie replied 'But I think Mrs Leigh's slightly mad anyway!'

'Cassie,' Janet warned 'Don't be rude about your teachers!'

'Mom, she almost ran me over once!' Seeing her Mom's face was set, she turned her case over to Daniel. 'One time she was driving out of the school gate with her books and papers still on the roof, and when we tried to warn her she thought we were just waving. Oh, and last month we went on a school trip, and one of the kids got mugged and she didn't even seemed bothered!'

'Were they hurt?' Daniel asked, his face crinkling in concern.

'No, not really. Although the muggers did take his watch, ring and some money, but then again he was drunk...'

'Drunk? On a school trip?' Daniel asked, shocked.

'It's okay, Daniel,' Janet reassured him. 'It was a one off case and the parents all received a letter home about it; Cassie wasn't involved.'

'Oh.' Daniel didn't really know what to say.

'Well I better get to bed,' Cassie said, glancing toward the clock. 'Good night, Daniel, thanks for your help.' She then surprised him by placing a kiss on his cheek and whispered, 'I won't forget about the present, promise.' She then ran over and hugged her mother before running up the stairs.

'Well, um, I guess I better get going. I've got that mission debrief at 7:00am tomorrow and Jack will kill me if I'm late.' *Why am I so disappointed? I'll see her in 3 days, heck I didn't even plan to see her tonight; so why does the front door suddenly seem so far away?*

Janet sighed as she slowly got up from her chair. *He's leaving, so what? You've had a great time tonight, and you're guaranteed some real sweet dreams tonight, courtesy of one fine looking Dr Jackson, so what's the problem? Uh oh...he's talking, what's he saying?*

'...had a fantastic time tonight, thanks for having me over!'

'Are you kidding? You can come and do the dishes any time!' Janet joked as they slowly headed towards the door. 'You certainly entertained us, who'd have thought you'd look so good in an apron.' Daniel's face turned an interesting shade of crimson and he looked down to study his feet. *On no! Did I say that out loud? *

The awkward silence grew between them as they stood at the front door, facing one another. After a brief pause Daniel said hesitantly 'Well, thanks again,' and started to turned away, he then turned back, 'Happy birthday for Thursday,' he commented, and before he could chicken out, he lent forward and kissed her quickly on the lips, then hurriedly headed towards his car, smiling.

Janet touched her hand to her lips as she watched him back out of her driveway, giving her a little wave. She smiled, waving back as the car disappeared into the night. She was glad Cassie had gone to bed because she couldn't wipe the goofy grin off her face and didn't want to have to explain it to her. *Who cares if it was only a friendly birthday kiss, his lips still touched mine, that counts, right? * Oh yes, she would have some very interesting dreams tonight!

THURSDAY NIGHT

Janet closed the door, as the last of her guests finally left. Turning around, she surveyed the damage; it wasn't too bad, she decided as she went to find some bin liners. She'd decided to have her birthday celebration at her house this year, wanting to keep it a small and low- key event. However, being a doctor at the SGC ensures you get to know almost everybody due to check-ups and treatments; and of course, everyone had wanted to come and wish her happy birthday. Janet was flattered, but a little worn out.

'There sure were a lot of people here tonight, Mom!' Cassie shouted from her position on the couch. She had helped by being one of the waitresses/hostesses and she was exhausted. She slowly got to her feet, ready to help once more as her mum entered the room, bin-liners in hand. 'It's a shame SG-1 couldn't come though!' Cassie commented, voicing Janet's thoughts.

'Yes, it was a pity. Nevertheless, they had a mission, heck, they're not even on the planet, I think that's a good enough excuse! Besides they already gave me a present before they left' Janet said, gesturing towards the newly hung picture frame.

15 minutes later, the two women stood back and admired their work. Two bin-liners full of rubbish stood neatly by the back door, the dirty cups and bowls were all soaking in the sink for tomorrow and the vacuum cleaner could finally return to its place in the cupboard.

'Well, I'm shattered!' Cassie exclaimed. 'I'm gonna start getting ready for bed.' She walked over to her mother, hugging her and saying 'Happy Birthday! Hope you had a great day'.

'Thanks, Sweetie, good night.' Janet wandered into the kitchen, not yet ready to give into sleep, she poured herself a glass of wine before returning to the living room. Once there, she turned on the CD player and as the first notes of a love ballad were softly heard, she curled up onto the couch.

However, before she could get comfortable Cassie came running down the stairs in her nightdress, toothbrush still in her mouth. 'What's wrong?' Janet asked concerned.

Trying to talk around the toothbrush, which had been firmly placed in her mouth, she tried to reassure her mother, without showering her in foam. 'Nothin', I almost forgot to give you this,' she said, thrusting a small, neatly wrapped package into Janet's hands.

'What this?' She asked curiously as Cassie started to leave the room. Turning back to her mother she shrugged, 'It's a present from Daniel,' before her footsteps were heard on the stairs.

Janet's heart was pounding as she held onto the box. *Daniel got me a present?* she wondered. *Just take a deep breath and open it, for goodness sake. *

With trembling fingers, Janet reached for the card, running a finger over her name, which had been carefully penned in gold. Pulling out the card, her heart skipped a beat as she read the inscription on the front, 'Birthday wishes to someone special'. *Someone special? He can't mean...*

The inside of the card cleared up any possible doubts she could have. Handwritten in the same gold pen as the envelope were the words:

'Janet,

I hope you have a really great birthday – you deserve it.

I wish I had been there, sorry that I couldn't share it with you.

Although I'm elsewhere, you can be sure I'm thinking about you.

You're really special to me and my feelings toward you go a lot deeper than that of a friend. If you don't feel the same way, then I won't push you, I couldn't stand the thought of losing your friendship; it's so important to me.

However, if there's the slightest possibility that in your heart, you can view me as more than a friend, then let's get together sometime soon.

Yours always

Daniel'

Janet couldn't keep the tears from running down her cheeks. *Oh Daniel, of course I feel the same way! * Slowly she reached for the present and carefully unwrapped it to find a small jewellery box. Not wanting to wait another moment longer, she opened the lid to reveal an expensive looking silver heart-shaped necklace, with matching earrings; in the centre of the heart was a small white diamond. She slowly removed the necklace from its box, and turning it over in her hand she realised it had her name inscribed on the back.

*Oh, I can't wait until tomorrow!* Janet thought happily.

FRIDAY MORNING

'Daniel, somethin' on ya mind?' Jack asked the young archaeologist, watching him glance nervously at the distant stargate for the sixth time in the last 5 minutes.

'What?' Daniel asked, jumping at the sound of Jack's voice beside him. Their mission had been a success; no one had been hurt and Daniel had spent most of the time deciphering writings on a temple wall. He knew he should have been ecstatic, but he couldn't seem to get his mind off Janet; she should have his present by now, what would she have thought of it?

'Well, it's just that I can't help noticing that you've been acting a little preoccupied,' Jack commented, still observing him.

'Just got a few things on my mind, Jack,' Daniel replied, looking once again to the ever-approaching stargate that would soon be taking him back to Earth.

'Ya think?' Jack replied, 'Come on, tell me what's bothering you. Ya keep looking at the Stargate as if gonna to attack you or something.'

'Jack...'

'No. Na aaa ah, now don't 'Jack' me. Tell me what the problem is. We're supposed to be best buddies,' Jack said, elbowing Daniel lightly in the ribs.

'We are...'he sighed.

'So what's wrong?' Jack wasn't best known for his patience.

Daniel sighed, 'I finally decided to act upon my feelings for Janet.'

'What? When? How? Why the hell didn't you tell me?'

'Well I kissed her...' At Jack look he quickly continued 'It was only brief, to wish her happy birthday and to thank her for the meal.'

'What meal?'

'The meal we shared. Look nothing happened, I just gave Cassie the present I bought, to give to her Mom and then I helped with her homework...'

'What'd ya buy her?'

'A necklace.'

'Uh huh. And what time did you leave her house.'

'Um, shortly after eleven'

'Why wasn't I told any of this? You know I tell you...stuff...I expected the same from you!' Daniel had the grace to look slightly ashamed. 'Besides' Jack continued 'What's the problem, so you gave her a necklace it's not like you declared your undying love to her...Daniel?' Jack asked suspiciously.

'The necklace was heart shaped, and that bit about undying love? Yeah, I think I may of put that in her card.'

'What card?' Jack asked, exasperated.

'Oh boy!' *When did we start playing twenty questions - well just grin and bear it, he can't have that many left.* Daniel continued to endure Jack's questioning until the reached the gate. Taking a deep breath, Daniel began to dial home. 'Oh boy' he muttered once again.

Jack clamped a hand on his shoulder and smiled reassuringly at him, silently conveying that he'd be there to support Daniel whatever the outcome. Daniel nodded his head, acknowledging his promise with gratitude as they slowly disappeared through the wormhole.

Daniel sighed as he headed down the corridor towards his office. He still hadn't seen Janet and now he was afraid that she might be avoiding him. *I'm such an idiot!* After coming down the ramp, the team had headed straight to the infirmary only to find Dr. Warner was doing the after mission physicals; then it was straight to the briefing room – and there was no Janet there either. Now, he was determined to write-up the mission report, and try to block Dr. Fraiser from his mind.

Juggling his coffee cup and pile of debriefing papers he managed to open his office door, and his heart stopped; Janet was sitting on his chair, behind his desk. *Breathe Jackson,* he reminded himself.

She slowly looked up and their eyes met, this time neither felt it necessary to lose the connection. Janet stood up and started walking towards Daniel, who was still standing in his doorway. 'You can come in if you like!' she joked nervously. 'After all, it is your office.'

Daniel swallowed; breaking eye contact, he slowly took a few tentative steps into his office, pushing the door closed. Whatever the outcome, he knew for certain he didn't want an audience. 'Hey Janet' Daniel spoke to her for the first time, glancing at her nervously trying to judge how she was feeling; she wasn't giving anything away.

*Well, this is it girl! * Janet warned herself. *The ball's in your court.* She travelled the remaining steps silently, until she stood directly in front of him. Resuming eye contact, she stared deeply into his eyes. She felt like she was drowning, as she stood on her tiptoes, placed a hand on his shoulder and slowly tilted her head upwards. As their lips came closer together, she closed her eyes and whispered against his lips, 'Thanks for the necklace, I love it, and you too.' With that, their lips met, at first it was a gentle kiss, a promise of what to come. As Daniel opened his mouth, allowing Janet's tongue entrance, he groaned softly and wrapped his arms around the petite woman, revelling in the feel of her.

They were so engrossed in one another, they didn't hear the office door open and the happy cheer, 'way to go space monkey!'

The End.

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Gatin' Gauntlett