Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Phone Call Away, A

by Gatewatcher
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
A Phone Call Away

A Phone Call Away

by Gatewatcher

Summary: It's short so there's not much point. Lets just say Jack calls Sam when he's bored.
Category: Drabble, Romance
Season: future Season
Pairing: Jack/Sam
Rating: PG
Warnings: none
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).
Archived on: 04/27/03

Authors Notes: This is kind of an idea and I'm wondering if I should finish it, it ends sort of abruptly so sorry for that.

Jack had been driving for a few minuets when he came across the traffic jam. He had hoped it would be a minor time delay but seemingly the hold up was taking a little longer than he hoped.
Having completely ground to a halt Jack was getting more than a little bored. The weather outside seemed fine and all in all it was a nice day, except of course for the fact that he'd been sitting in his 4x4 for the last hour and hadn't moved more than a few feet.
After a few more seconds of staring out of the window an idea struck him and he began searching through the bags he had on the passenger seat. When he came across the particular bag he was looking for he pulled in onto his lap, casting another fleeting glance at the tailgate of the car in front he began removing things from the bag. Putting a few smaller bags aside he finally came across the temporary solution to his boredom problems; a candy bar. Holding his find in one hand he noticed the only thing left in the bag, and with a smile he pulled it out, putting the now empty bag aside and the candy bar on the dash.
He looked at the long thin box in his hand. He just hoped she liked it. It was Sam's birthday in a couple of days and seeing as they were due off-world Janet had organised a surprise party for her. Planning the surprise had been no problem apparently, he had volunteered his house and Janet was over there right now 'sprucing the place up' as she put it. It was one of the reasons he wasn't there, the other being that the necklace he was having made needed to be picked up. He stared at the box in is hand that contained that necklace and the re-read the note attached. *Sam,
Just a little something I thought you'd like. Jack*

He knew that he might be pushing it more than a little, but it was her Birthday and he was dammed if he wasn't going to make her understand is feelings were still there even when he couldn't actually do anything about them.
With one last look at the box he put it aside and grabbed the candy bar and continued to stare at same tailgate he'd been staring at since getting stuck in traffic.
When he took the last bite of candy and screwed up the wrapper he caught site of his cell phone. Another idea struck him and he pressed a couple of buttons on the phone and was rewarded with a ringing tone. Suddenly a very familiar voice sounded out from the other end.

"Hello?"
Smiling at just the sound of her voice he decided he had better answer her.

"Hey Carter! How ya doing?"
"Oh Colonel. Everything's fine..." Sam paused before adding, "...was there a reason you called sir?"
"Not really, except I'm bored out of my mind because I'm stuck in traffic with nothing to do."
Sam smiled into the phone as he walked into the living room of her house to sit on the sofa.
"Oh so you just thought you'd call me and bug me for a while then?" She leaned back against the cushions and enjoyed the rare opportunity to have an actually conversation with Jack, it made a nice change from always talking to the Colonel.
Jack could practically see the smile on her face; he noticed that recently she's gotten a lot bolder in her teasing.
"That's about the size of it yeah. You know me too well Carter." Sam laughed then and her smile got wider before she replied.

"I know and it scares the hell out of me." Jack enjoyed the sound of her laugh and didn't miss the absence of a sir on the end of the sentence.
"So what are you up to? Not stuck inside on a lovely day like this I hope?" If she could drop the 'sirs' then he could drop the 'carters', at least for now any way.
"Well you know me. I'm actually on downtime so I slept most of the day, I'm just getting round to doing some chores at the moment."

"So your bored too then?" Jack asked with a broad smile.

"Well, yeah ya got me on that one. I am a little bored." They both chuckled.

"Hey if I ever get out of this jam, I'll come by early and we can be bored together if you like?" He didn't know what her reaction was going to be to that, he just seemed to have said it without thinking; they never spent too much time alone together any more.
Sam wasn't sure how to take his offer but before she could properly think through an answer her heart seemed to make up it's own mind and it was her heart that answered for her.
"Well it's very hard to be bored when you're around but yeah, come on over. I don't mind you being early."
"OK. Great. This can't last anything more than about a half hour but if I'm going to be longer I'll call you." Jack found he had a large smile on his face now.
"That's fine. See you soon then." Sam couldn't seem to get rid of the beaming smile that was making her cheeks ache.
"As soon as I can Sam." Jack said before cutting of the connection. Sam hung up the phone; the smile was gone now, replaced by a look of surprise. How many times had he used her first name since she'd known him? And he just came out with it like he used it all the time. She was trying to ignore the feeling that went through her when he'd said it, and decided that she had better get some of the chores done before he showed up.
Jack had a beaming grin plastered across his face, he'd used her name without so much as a second thought and he now realised how right and natural it felt.
He sent a silent prayer to whoever was listening that the jam would clear up as soon as possible so he could spend as much time with her as he could before he had to take her to the party. He'd been instructed to get her to his house so he'd told her that the gang was having a little gathering. Sam had no idea that half the base, not to mention her father, was going to be there to surprise her.
As if his prayer had been answered the car in front started to move, and Jack could see several other cars ahead were also moving. He started his journey again, but this time with an alternate destination that seemed more pleasing than a house full of people rushing around with Janet shouting orders over the din.

Sam stood in front of her wardrobe having just emerged from the shower and was trying to find something to wear. Seeing as Jack was arriving early she need to find something to wear now rather than later. She smiled as she remember their conversation, they were becoming rather rare these days, and even though his reason for calling her made sense with Daniel, Jonas and Teal'C all doing some museum tour, she still liked the fact that he'd called her when he was bored. Shaking her head to concentrate, she pulled out a deep red blouse and a pair of black jeans and threw them on her bed.

Jack pulled up outside Sam's house a lot earlier than he thought he would, he glanced at the small box sitting on his passenger seat. Should he give it too her now or later when they were at the party? Or he could even wait till it actually was her Birthday, but that might seem a little inappropriate. He finally decided to put it in his jacket pocket and make the decision if the time was right. Getting out of the truck he headed towards her front door. Sam had heard his truck pull up and had been waiting for 10 minuets for the expected knock on the door, but it never came so she got up to find out where he was.

As Jack reached the font door, he took a deep breath and lifted his hand to knock just as Sam opened the door and nearly jumped to find him right in front of her.
"You scared me. I heard the truck, but..." Sam said when she'd recovered.

"Sorry about that. I was looking through my shopping." He smiled as she moved to one side to let him in.
"Ok. Come on in then, I was just going to make coffee."

"Oh big plans. Are you sure I'm not interrupting?" Jack asked as he took of his jacket and followed Sam into the kitchen.

"Why do you always assume I don't have plans? Oh, do you want coffee?" She asked over her shoulder as Jack put his coat over the back of one of her chairs.
"Yes thanks. It's my one order you don't seem to have obeyed."

"Well I do have a life it's just full off work." Sam said as she took two mugs from a nearby cupboard.
After making the coffee she handed Jack the cup before they walked towards her living room.
"Thanks for the coffee. I needed something to warm me up after shopping."

"Not a big shopping fan then?" Sam noticed it was getting easier and easier to leave that sir off the end of her sentences, she never thought it would have been that easy.
"I don't really enjoy shopping any more. It's no fun on your own." Jack said, only to be slightly shocked that he'd mentioned anything to do with his feelings.

"I know what you mean. For me its just figure out what I want, go get it and I'm done." Sam said as she put her cup down on the nearby table, before settling on her couch.

"I thought all women loved to shop? Spending ages in every store, trying on all sorts of clothes that you know your not going to buy."

Sam smiled at his stereotypical description as Jack came to sit beside her.

"Well I must admit that on the odd occasion I have time to go shopping with Janet we do spend a lot of time trying things on and 'shopping' in general."

"Ha! See I told you that you needed a life. You do enjoy shopping, but you think you have no time to do it."

Sam smiled again, this time a little sheepishly and looked down at her hands. She was a little surprised that he could read her so well. Jack just sat there looking smug, glad to have proved his point. Sam finally looked up to find Jack with a thoroughly smug look on his face and a sense of dj vu quickly ran though Sam's mind. Jack noticed the look that crossed Sam's face and swapped his smug look for one of confusion.
"What?" He asked as Sam sat silently at the end of the couch, staring at him. He could practically see her thinking, and he never realised how much he loved that look till right at that moment.

"I just had this feeling that I've seen that look on your face before and I can't remember when..." She trailed off as she stared into his eyes looking for the answer.
Just as Jack was going to say something Sam's eyes got a little wider and a smile lit up her face. She'd obviously remembered.

"I remember now." She stated.
"Ok... Should I be worried?" Jack asked as he swallowed the last of his coffee before putting the mug on the table next to Sam's.

"I don't know. That would depend on what you were thinking at the time. You remember when we were sitting in the commissary..." Jack decided to interrupt when she paused, because he felt the need to add one of his 'funny' comments.
"Care to be specific? We tend to be in there a lot ya know." Sam carried on, unfazed by the typical Jack O'Neill comment.

"...It was just after those time loops. Is there a reason you should be worried?"
Jack's eyebrows suddenly went sky-high before his face resumed it's usual neutral expression.
"Ah Well not so much worried exactly. Well maybe a little...um yeah, ok, worried works. I'm not going to tell you though." He smiled at her annoyed expression.
"Why not? What did you do that was so bad? You have to tell me, please." Sam knew she was almost begging, but she really wanted to know what the hell made him have that expression on his face, it wasn't going to be easy though. She could see Jack wasn't fazed by her plea.

"Begging isn't going to work Carter. You won't get me to cave. I'm trained in this sort of thing ya know."
"Well I'm just going to have to figure out something I can persuade you with." Sam smiled rather devilishly.
...

To be continued? Tell me what ya think. It's kind of short and I don't know if it's any good. Feedback is always appreciated as long as it's nice.

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Gatewatcher