Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Vacation In Autumn

by Gatewatcher
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Vacation In Autumn

Vacation In Autumn

by Gatewatcher

Summary: What would happen if Sam went on vacation with Jack and he knew something she didn't?
Category: Angst, Romance
Episode Related: 406 Window of Opportunity
Season: Season 4
Pairing: Jack/Sam
Rating: PG-13
Warnings: none
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).
Archived on: 04/27/03

Authors Notes: This is the first story I wrote and it seems to have been lost, so I'm reposting it.

The little cabin sat peacefully on the edge of the small lake in Northern Minnesota. The sun peeked through the trees as it shone on the relaxing autumn afternoon. The only sound that wasn't coming from the surrounding wildlife was coming from the silver car travelling down the track along the lakeside. Major Samantha Carter pulled up beside the cabin to park the car in the shade of a large tree. Once out of the car she ran her fingers through her short blond hair as she admired the beautiful surroundings, she spotted a motorbike sitting nearby. 'I wonder what else we have in common?' she thought as she took her bag and made her way toward the veranda of the beautiful cabin.

Inside the spacious cabin the noise of cooking could be heard from across the open plan living room, with its sunken seating area and wood burning fire. The cabins homely atmosphere was interrupted by the sound of gentle knocking at the door. At almost the same time a male voice could be heard to utter "Oh for cryin' out loud" before the sound of running water drowned out the rest of the less than polite language that followed.
The knocking at the door sounded again, but this time a little louder.

"I'm coming, give me a minuet will ya?" Colonel Jack O'Neill said as he made his way from the fully fitted kitchen toward the door, and the expected visitor. As Jack opened the door all thoughts of burned appendages were far from his mind as they turned to that of his second in command who was waiting patiently for an invitation into the humble abode.
"Hi sir, something smells good. Can I come in?" Sam asked after the short pause. 'What's he looking at?' she thought as he made room for her to pass by him and into the living room.
She left her bag by the door and looked around the cabin while taking off her leather jacket.
Jack couldn't stop staring at his 2IC; she was wearing tight blue jeans and a roll neck sweater and it was making it difficult for him to concentrate. He was too used to seeing her in bulky fatigues.
'Get a grip Jack she only just got here. Say something before she realises your staring at her like some old pervert.' Jack berated himself.

"Glad you could make it Sam. Am I going to have to order you to call me Jack when we're off duty, cause I won't remind you again." Jack finished with a smile.

"Sorry Jack, force of habit." Sam said trying not to look like she enjoyed using his first name.
"It's OK, just don't let it happen again. Follow me and I'll show you too your room." Jack said smiling as he picked up her bag and headed off towards a corridor leading from the corner of the room.
"Yes sir!" Sam said trying not to giggle at the intentional slip.

"Nobody respects me anymore," he muttered as they walked down the corridor passing several doors along the way and finally stopping when they could go no further.
He opened the door to his right and motioned for Sam to go in first, knowing that she would like what she saw he held back so she could have a look around. The room was very comfortable, with a grand four-poster bed against the left-hand wall, and two small chests of drawers at either side. There was a wardrobe against the wall and a table with a mirror near the large picture window opposite. It was at that window Sam now stood, looking out over the lake and towards the mountains beyond. Jack quietly came up behind her having put the bag on the bed and they stood in companionable silence.
"It's a beautiful view Jack." Sam smiled as she glanced at him over her shoulder. He was so close she could feel the hairs on her neck almost stand on end. Jack nodded in agreement and glanced at Sam, he marvelled at the way the light seemed to surround her every feature.
'This is not the only reason you invited her Jack so behave yourself.' He thought before he remembered the dinner he was preparing when she arrived.

"Well I have a dinner to finish so why don't you make yourself at home and have a wander around if you like." He left her to unpack and made his way back to the kitchen.
'I could certainly make myself at home here.' She thought as she unpacked her things into the chest of drawers by the bed and stowed her bag in the wardrobe. Having done that she decided to explore the cosy cabin, she started with the door that was opposite the bed when she opened it she found that it was the bathroom, looking around at the large bath, shower and the sink another door caught her eye.

"And what's behind door number two?" she muttered as she took the handle and opened the door to find another bedroom, with a large king-size bed against the opposing wall.
This room, compared to her own, was more lived in, and the presence of Jacks aftershave in the air confirmed her suspicion that it was his room. She knew that he was busy in the kitchen so decided to have a look around. Having marvelled at the aspect from the window something resting on the bedside table caught her eye. As she sat on the edge of the bed she picked up the thick book that had her attention and scanned the cover saying the title out loud as she read.

"Theoretical Astrophysics. What's it all about? Part two. By Dr K. N. Owitall." 'Huh! I never knew he was that interested in my work. I wonder if he's got a copy of my book hidden away?' she mused as she flicked through the pages.

"I've got a copy of yours in the study? I should get you to sign it for me." Came a voice form the doorway. Jack leant against the door leading out into the hallway; his amusement was evident by his smile. Having not heard him approach Sam quickly stood up putting the book back where she found it, her face a slight shade of red.

"Sorry, Jack. I didn't mean to pry, I was just looking at the great view and, well you know how it is, you said I could look around..." she let her sentence trail because she knew she was starting to babble. She noticed his smile and as she thought about his last statement she found she was smiling too.

"I didn't take you for book reader si..Jack." She corrected herself but smiled an apology at the almost-slip.
"There's probably a lot you don't know, Sam." Jack answered as he came into the room and collected his trainers from by the bed and sat down to put them on.

"That's certainly true." She said amused at the fact he seemed to know what she was thinking.
"I'm going to lock my bike," He stated as he got to his feet and they walked out of the room and towards the front door.
"Yes, that's another thing I never knew. When did you get it?"

"Ah well I've had it up here for ages. Must be about the same time I got the cabin. I use it to go to the local market and back; it saves on finding a parking space." Smiling he thought of how much he didn't know about Sam. He looked forward to finding out more as they got to know each other better. After securing the bike in the lockup he walked back towards the front of the cabin, the sun was peeking over the distant mountains and shining over the edge of the lake and on the figure that silently stood there. Jack noticed Sam immediately and walked towards her, she felt his presence before she smelt his aftershave and the scent that was uniquely his. Standing close enough to feel his breath on her neck he spoke in a hushed tone befitting the moment of contemplation.

"Didn't I say you'd like it?"
"Its wonderful Jack, I can't thank you enough for sharing this with me." She whispered as she gazed on the vista stretching before them.

"If I recall correctly it's not my fault you haven't seen this sooner." A smile was playing on his lips as he took in a breath to smell her hair. Sam shuddered involuntarily at the feeling of his closeness, and sighed as he let his breath wash over the expanse of her neck. They knew the reasons that they hadn't been here together before and its was always playing in the back of their minds, but this time it was different. Jack knew something Sam didn't. He didn't like lying to her; telling her that the rest of the gang was coming, even though they weren't. He had to spend some quality time with her and talk about their feelings. It had to be worth one little lie didn't it?
Sam was wondering what was happening, she needed to take the heat out of the situation and she decided that the best thing to do was speak about something mundane and distracting.
"When are the others getting here?"
There was the question that he wished she wouldn't ask, he had to tell her the truth, at least most of it. He just hoped that she didn't feel like she had to leave.

"Well that's something I've been meaning to tell you about. Ya see there's, well, its like this..."
Sam liked to see the strange sight of a flustered Jack, she guessed that some of the guys weren't coming but she wasn't going to put him out of his misery just yet.

"What is it Jack? Cat got your tongue?" Jack smiled and continued. "Well Daniel can't make it because he fell of a ladder and broke his arm, Teal'C can't make it because he's looking after Daniel, and Janet can't make it because she had to look after Cassy who could have a cold coming." There he said it and he started to feel a little better already. Sam hadn't thought that she would end up alone with Jack for the entire week but she couldn't fool herself into thinking that she didn't like the idea.

"Really? Well I should ring Janet and see how they are." Sam said quietly, whilst trying to come to terms with the fact she was going to have to spend a whole week with a man she had strong feelings for.

"Yeah there's a phone in the cabin. It doesn't bother you then? That we're on our own, I know you wanted to spend some time with Cassy..."

"Its fine really, I need the rest and I can see Cassy when we get back." They walked back into the cabin a few moments later and Jack handed Sam the phone and he motioned her towards the study. He understood that she probably wanted to talk to Janet alone. Dialling Janet's number on the cordless handset she entered the study with it ringing in here ear. As she entered she didn't realise Janet had picked up because she was marvelling at the comfortable room.

"Hello? Hello? Who's there? If this is a crank call and I find out who you are, lets just say that, as a doctor, I know how to dispose of bodies." Janet's ranting finally got through to Sam and she drew her attention to the call.

"Janet, I'm sorry. I was distracted by something. I'm at the cabin and was wondering how Cassy was doing?"
"You had me scared for a minuet there Sam. Cassy's fine. So you finally made it up there then? What's it like? Is it as nice as he makes out?"

"Yes I finally made it here, and yes its beautiful Janet, every bit as good as he said. I thought Cassy had a cold, and that's why you didn't come. She's fine then?"

"Well, um, she has got a slight cold that could turn nasty any second so I thought I was safer to keep her at home." Janet was trying to sound convincing, she had been told by Jack that he needed to take Sam away to talk and that he needed her help in securing her attendance. She didn't know exactly what he was planning but by the look on his face Sam was going to love it. She was going to get it in the neck when Sam found out that Cassy was fine and they hadn't gone because they weren't really invited.
"Oh OK, Janet. I'm glad she's fine. How's Daniel?"

"Well his arm is in plaster but he should be fine, you know Daniel, he'll be doing work left handed. So how's the colonel? Anything interesting happen yet?" Janet continued to grill Sam about the colonel and his possible motives for several minuets before Sam finally got her to hang up by asking if Daniel had asked her out yet. Janet took the hint and they said goodbye.
Whilst Sam had been on the phone she had wandered around the warm study, looking at the antique wooden desk, the bookshelves filled with old and new reading material, the worn leather chair, and the comfortable sofa. The room was meant to be lived in, and it showed. She studied the pictures on a nearby shelf for several minuets whilst pondering what Jack did in this private hideaway.

Jack had been busy while Sam talked to Janet, he had laid the table and the lights were low. Everything was perfect; the only thing that worried him was what Sam would say to his news. Would she run away at the mere thought of it? No Sam didn't run away from anything. Would she be disgusted and slap him round the face? No, Sam wasn't like that. He tried to put his worries behind him as he placed the plates on the table.

Sam couldn't take her eyes from the mantle, the pictures there were new to her. She had never seen Jack look as happy as he did in these pictures. The first picture was a large group photo of SG1 including Janet, Cassy and General Hammond. It had been taken about the time of her promotion, after Jack had returned from Thor's ship and the World was saved. She never did see the picture although she remembered it being taken. Jack kept tickling her and trying to blame Daniel. Jack look so relaxed. The second picture was of Cassy with her dog, and Jack standing behind, smiling down at her. He really did love Cassy. The last pictures were in a double frame. On the left stood a picture of Charlie, his smile an exact copy of his fathers. He seemed like a happy child wearing his baseball cap and holding his bat and glove. The other picture was another she had never seen before; it was a portrait of her. She remembered that it was taken the same time as the one of Cassy, but remembering also that Janet had been taking the pictures she wondered how had Jack got hold of it. It was obvious that he valued that picture of Charlie very highly so why was hers in the same frame. Sam's pondering was interrupted by Jacks voice from the kitchen.

"Sam? Dinners on the table." Jack shouted. He felt father nervous when she emerged but his nerves dissipated when he saw her smile as she entered the room. Looking around she walked over to the table and he held her seat out for her. Sitting down to the table himself he smiled as they began to enjoy the dinner he had prepared.

The next few days were relaxing. Jack awoke early and left a note for Sam before he went out to fish on the lake. Having read the note Sam spent the day reading a trashy novel she found in jacks study. Meeting up for a light lunch they sat together on the veranda laughing and chatting. At night they would sit by the fire and drink wine whilst reliving some fond memories.
One night Jack decided that he wanted to take Sam out, he told her about this little place in the small town where they bought their groceries. They decided seeing as it was a beautiful night that they would take the bike and ride into town. Having put on his best jeans he met Sam outside and prepared to leave. Getting on the bike he waited for Sam to mount behind him, as he felt her arms snake around his waist he realised that this wasn't the safest thing to do. He couldn't concentrate on the bike when the feeling of her arms gripping him tightly sent him almost mad. Having a nice meal in the little out of the way family run restaurant they talk a lot more. Sam was amazed that they had so much to talk about. The night ended with Jack leading Sam to her bedroom door and kissing her on the cheek and saying good night, neither missed the almost spark between his lips and her face. Lying in bed Jack couldn't tare his eyes away form the door that led towards her room, he tried thinking of anything else without much success. Finally he fell into a restless sleep, dreaming of a tall blond on a powerful motorbike. Sam had a restless night herself, her mind ran with the thoughts of falling in love with her commanding officer and what, or could, happen between them. Falling into a sleep full of dreams, she wished of a way around the regulations that kept them apart.

Over the next week they spent a lot of time together, they talked more in those days than they had the entire time they worked together. They found out things about each other they never knew before. They laughed more and got very comfortable around each other as they started to forget about their work. They had serious talks about their lives, things that had happened during the last few years. They both agreed they wouldn't change a thing. Every day they spent together they learned more, while Jack liked fishing he confessed it took him a long time and a few cut fingers to learn the art. Sam confessed although she could build a reactor her cooking skills were sorely lacking. Going over past mistakes and drinking a toast to making a few new ones they spent their time together happily. Enjoying the serenity of the environment around them.

The pair that sat on the large sofa welcomed the warmth of the open wood fire. Taking a sip of the wine she held in her glass Sam glanced at her commanding officer. He seemed more relaxed than she had ever seen him before, although it was hard not to relax here she thought. She noted that he seemed younger too as he stared into the fire with a small smile playing on his lips.

Jack sat staring at the fire remembering something he had done during a time loop and what would happen if he told Sam. The image of being beaten up came to his mind, but then wrestling with Sam would have its up side.

"Penny for your thoughts?" Sam asked quietly returning her gaze to the fire.

"Not really worth it but if you really want to know I want your word you won't hit me."

"I'm not sure I like the sound of this but OK I promise I won't hit you." She suddenly felt nervous, but smiling anyway.

"Well you remember when we were stuck in those time loops?" Jack paused waiting for her reaction. Sam nodded and he continued.

"Well afterwards, in the commissary, you remember Daniel asked me a question about what I had done; without the worry of consequences. Well I did do something, and, I was just thinking about it."
Jack decided to let her hang a bit and pretend that that was all he was going to say, taking a sip of his wine he sneaked a peek at her expression. Sam was almost on the edge of her seat. "You can't stop now, what did you do?" She complained

"Well, just remember your promise...I kinda, well I was bored and you know how I get when I'm bored and, damn I'm not sure how to explain this." Jack was dragging this out as far as he could.

"You tease. Just spit it out already." Sam was obviously not buying his stalling.

"Well I kissed you." Jack stuttered out quietly.

"Excuse me? You did what?" Sam asked, unsure of what she thought she heard. She touched his arm and he looked up. Brown eyes met blue and like magnets they held the gaze for what seemed like a lifetime.

"I said..." Jack took her face in his hands and looked into her eyes. "I did this." He said as he brushed his lips against hers.

To say that Sam was surprised was an understatement, she hadn't exactly expected this, she new that something was going to happen, but this was a shock. She was also slightly annoyed that she didn't remember the kiss. These thoughts left her mind as she concentrated on the nervous face of her commanding officer in front of her, and what he had just done.

"Jack, we shouldn't have done that. It changes everything, we can't, it was hard before what you just did, but now its going to be worse..." She started to mumble as she arranged her thoughts.

"Sam I know that your worried about the regulations but you have to know that I wouldn't do anything to put your career in danger."

"Then why did you have to do that, now all I'm going to be able to do when I look at you is think about that kiss, knowing it can't happen again, I don't think I could take it Jack. Thinking of all the things it could lead too. Did you even think about that?"

"Calm down Sam, everything is going to be fine but believe me when I say that there is nothing in this world right now, that I would rather do, than take you to bed. You look so cute when you're worried." Jack couldn't help but smile. "But there's something I have to tell you about those regulations keeping us apart Sam although I'm rather glad that you think so highly of my kisses."

"What?" Was all Sam could say as she was trying to get her head around all the compliments he just paid her, as well as the obviously important subject of regulations.

"Well I was in a meeting with General Hammond the other day and we got around to discussing the regulations on the base and how they might differ from the norm. We discussed the fact the base is unique and that The President has always given Hammond a lot of control. Anyway to cut a long story short the General can do what he likes because the president trusts him completely. We talked for a long time, we talked about me retiring again if I felt I wanted something that the regulations wouldn't allow." Jack paused seeing the frightened look on Sam's face he reassured her. "I'm not retiring Sam don't worry. We were talking hypothetically. He then told me to leave him for a moment because he wanted to make a phone call. So I left. Later that day you remember when I got paged to his office when I was with you and Daniel and I didn't know what it was about."

"I remember. I saw you come out of his office with the biggest grin on your face." Sam fell quiet because she didn't know what to make of this situation.

"Well I'll tell you what he told me. He said, and I'll try to be exact, the regulations regarding the fraternisation between officers under the same chain command are to be judged, by me, to be unwarranted in our unique situation. The president has given me the authority to change them as I see fit. Here is the memo regarding said changes. You may wish to inform some of your personnel yourself. They are not to be announced publicly but they are still amended, the Air Force don't mind the change as long as it doesn't get out of hand." Jack sat watching Sam's face with a slight expression of worry on his own.

'I can't be this lucky, he's got to be joking right?' Sam thought, but as she looked into his eyes she saw the anguish in his features and knew it was the truth.

"Well that's a surprise. Do you have the memo?" Sam asked once she had assimilated this new information she decided that she could try to antagonise him as much as he had done not moments before.

"Umm yes, its here." Jack was surprised but he got the piece of paper out of his pocket and gave it to her. "Sam?" He asked clearly worried.

"Umm?" She said as she read the memo.

"Why? Don't you believe me?" Jack asked

Sam decided that enough was enough and relented saying, "I believe you Jack, it just wanted to see it, do you think we could have it framed?" A smile lit her features as she spoke.
The relief Jack felt was too much and he pulled her into his arms for a bone-crushing hug. "Its not nice to tease an old man Sam, I nearly had a heart attack."

"Well we can't have that, especially when we have so much catching up to do. Four years is more than enough for anybody to have to hide so much."

"Well I'm so happy right now I think my hearts about to leap out of my chest but I'll tell you what I can do." With that he leaned in closer and captured her lips with his, those four years of longing went into this kiss and all the pent up frustration released as they finally broke for air.

"I should have done that sooner." Jack said as he rested his fore head against hers.

"Yeah sure you betcha" Sam whispered as she took a few breaths to calm herself.

"So what now?"

"Well we have a few days to spend here yet, so we better rest up for the hiking we're going to be doing, not the mention the riding, walking, fishing..." Jack was interrupted by Sam's lips on his.

"Lets just go to bed OK?"

"I like a woman with a plan." Smiled Jack as they made their way to the bedroom, not planning on emerging till they were due to leave in three days time.

Dozing lightly in Jacks arms Sam remembered something he had said the previous night.
"Jack? What else id you do during those time loops? With me I mean, I know about the golf, the bicycle, the juggling, and the pottery which by the way you're going to have to show me." She poked him in the ribs for effect.

"Ow! Ok I'll show you later. As for the kissing you part well First thing I did when the loop started was to go to my office and type out my resignation, really neat too, different font and everything." Jack got another jab in the ribs for stalling.

"Anyway, I walked into the control room where you and General Hammond were and I said. 'George.' And handed him the paper. He asked what it was and I told him then you came up and asked 'Resigning what for?' and I said in my wittiest voice 'So I can do this.' and then I planted one on you right in front of the General. I even dipped you just for the heck of it."

"And that's when the loop reset? Right after you dipped me in front of the General."

"Yup. Happy?"

"As long as that's all you did. I don't like you knowing something I don't "

"Scouts honour. How did you find out about all the other stuff anyway?"

"Lets just say that Teal'C isn't exactly tight lipped when it comes to Daniels badgering techniques."

Jack hugged her closer and started to draw light circles on her back with his fingers. Sam almost purred at the sensation and soon all thoughts of Time Loops were gone as they lost themselves in each other once more.

The End
So what did you think? Feedback is loved as long as it's nice.

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Gatewatcher