Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

She Walks In Beauty, Like The Night

by Gategrrl
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
She Walks In Beauty, Like The Night

She Walks In Beauty, Like The Night

by Gategrrl

Summary: A harvest celebration and the absence of Ra makes for a heady combination.
Thanks to LdyAnne for Betaing!
Category: Challenge, Romance
Episode Related: 001 Stargate - The Movie
Holiday: Valentine
Season: pre-series
Pairing: Daniel/Share
Rating: G
Warnings: none
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).
Archived on: 02/11/04

She Walks in Beauty, Like the Night By Gategrrl

Sha're danced around the fire with the other women from the village.

Daniel looked on with the men, as the women's clapped rhythms steadily grew in intensity. Around him, the men and children and elders joined into the clapped rhythm with clapping of their own, or by beating sticks against each other, or stamping feet. The desert harvests were plentiful this year. The oasis' bore more fruit and grain than the elders could remember from years long past.

"It is thanks be that Ra, the false sun-god, is dead, that Min the harvest god was able to help us," said Kasuf, over the cheering, boisterous crowd.

"It is because the people had more time to cultivate, Good Father, and did not have to slave in the mines." Daniel's eyes stayed on Sha're. The fire's colors glinted off the small metal mirrors sewn onto her dress, and made her sun-browned skin glow like molten gold.

Kasuf observed his daughter with calm joy. "With this bountiful harvest, my Good Son," he said with a studied nonchalance, "Min will also bless us with many more children in the coming season."

It took a moment for Kasuf's words to sink in. "Er..." said Daniel, unable to come up with a suitable response.

Kasuf slapped him on the back. His laughter disappeared into the beat-driven music, adding a new, off-key melody. "Stay your gaze, Good Son, on your wife who is my daughter, and hope that Min helps you till fertile soil!"

At that, Daniel willingly went back to watching Sha're. Min, the god of the harvest and virility; Kasuf couldn't have been plainer in his message. His wife continued to swirl around the fire, creating as many sparks in his heart as the burning wood and incense flung out from the pyre. His head filled with the combination of the heady fragrances drifting about, the pounding music, the clapping and hurrahs from the men, children and elders. The pulse of the village thumped into his bones as the joy of Min's harvest saturated the air and sand and the bodies around him. At long last the music slowed. The women drifted into the crowd, still dancing, still moving, living embers still burning from the fire.

"Come, my husband." Sha're grasped his hands in hers. The dozens of thin metal bangles on her arms jangled, as he stood up, still holding her hands in his.

He laced her fingers with his. She smiled at him and swayed to the drifts of music and song still flowing from the smaller crowd around the diminishing fire. He leaned forward to kiss her, but she diverted his movement, and instead the smoky scent of her hair and the fragrance of her sweat mixed with the incense filled his awareness.

She half-led him back to their rooms, bumping against him as they stumbled around corners and through low archways. One hand freed for ease of walking through the night; with every chance his fingers traced the curves of her hips, her spine. She recaptured it and guided his palm to the curve of her breast, then off again as a knot of revelers passed nearby. He scarcely realized how or when they got back, and he cared little for the passage of time. It was only afterwards, when the strange constellations of this desert world melted away into white hot skies, that he recalled the date his now useless watch had reminded him of the night before: February 14th. He pulled Sha're in closer as he smiled at Min, Cupid, Eros and Valentine united in a single night.

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Gategrrl