Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Trying To Fathom . .

by Galen Wampler
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Trying to fathom...

Trying to fathom...

by Galen Wampler

TITLE: Trying to fathom...
AUTHOR: Galen Wampler
EMAIL: galen@negia.net
CATEGORY: Sam/Jack friendship/UST
SPOILERS: Seth
SEASON / SEQUEL: Season 3
RATING: U
CONTENT WARNINGS: None
SUMMARY: Captain Carter struggles with the abilities she apparently retained due to her joining.
STATUS: Complete
ARCHIVE: Heliopolis, Sam and Jack
DISCLAIMER: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. We have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the authors. Not to be archived without permission of the authors.
AUTHOR'S NOTES: Just a little something that popped into my head today after watching the episode "Seth."

"Damn." Sam grumbled to herself as she held a finger to her mouth and sucked the blood resulting from a paper-cut. It had been a week since she and Jacob had taken a long weekend and visited with her brother and his family. Many wounds had been healed, now, and things seemed more right... with family.

But not with friends.

And not with herself.

She turned back to her work, and rubbed the bridge of her nose. Jack and Daniel has been keeping their distance the past couple of days. Tealc only near-by just at those moments when she might need something, or to walk her casually out to the car. He never asked questions and seemed to easily accept what the other's and she herself couldn't assimilate.

{{You have the will.}} her father had said.

Yeah, right. The will to decimate a Go'auld with it's own weapons. An ability she's received from a joining... So much for being normal.

Sam pushed her paper work away with a disgusted grunt and gave up on trying to get any work done. Picking up her satchel, she closed up the lab, and stalked down to her quarters. The muffled footsteps from her boots the only shuffling noises in the vacant halls.

Having picked up her laundry from her bunk, she moved top-side found her car and drove absently home.

She wasn't prepared for anything, certainly not the Jack perched on the steps of her house waiting for her.

Sam parked he car, and -grabbing her bag- leaned against the now closed car door to look at him.

"Hi."

"Hi yourself." she raised an eyebrow at him, and then pushing herself off her car, walked forward. "Something wrong? Things seemed quiet at the base-- I just left, Sir..." She trailed off uncomfortably.

"Nah." Jack swallowed. "I just wanted to see how you were doing." He rose as she reached the steps. Her keys dangling loosely in hand.

{{Now what}} she thought. {{Oh, Jack. I don't have the energy to battle you now.}} Her mind filled already with the recriminations and the hurt of distance put between herself and friends since the last mission.

"So." Jack uttered breaking into her thoughts as he took the dangling keys out of her hands, inserted the correct one into the lock, and twisting the nob to open the door slightly, before returning the keys back to Sams lax hand and closing her fingers around them. "How are ya doing?"

She laughed a little and moved again, motioning him into the house after turning on the foyer light , and dropping her bags at the door.

"I'm fine, come on in."

"I wondered. You've been... quiet lately."

"You've been avoiding me." She snapped, immediately wishing she'd bitten her tongue. Normally she had tighter reign on her thought and mouth.

"Yes." His voice quieted some. "I guess I have."

Same turned from the living room door. "Why."

"Scared I guess." the mask had dropped leaving a very vunerable expression that she wasn't certain she dared read. "Damnit Sam, his eyes, did you see his eyes?! HE was going to kill you, and instead of being careful, you walk right up to a System Lord and wave your hand at him??" Jack waved his own hand gesturing off to the side as he paced then turned to her.

"I was worried. And maybe a little confused. You weren't supposed to be able to do that."

"I know." She stood before him stunned, but listening. "I have the will for it."

"Okay."

"Thanks for asking."

"No problem."

"So."

"Sam?"

"Yes, Sir."

She looked up at him in time to see him coming at her and she was suddenly pushed gently up against the side wall of the stairs in the foyer, and kissed as if his life depended on her knowing everything on his mind. As quickly as it began, he separated from her, walked to the door, and opened it.

"See you tomorrow, Captain."

"Yes, Sir, See you tomorrow." Se replied still leaning against the wall and staring after him minutes beyond the shutting of her front door.

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Galen Wampler