Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Colours Of Love - Part 4 - Conflict

by Explosion_Of_Colour
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Colours Of Love - Part 4 - Conflict

Colours Of Love - Part 4 - Conflict

by Explosion_Of_Colour

Summary: The things he'll agree to.
Category: Romance
Season: any Season
Pairing: Jack/Sam
Rating: PG
Warnings: none
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).
Archived on: 03/06/04

Colours Of Love - Chapter 4 - Conflict

"Hi, Jake." Jack greeted him, an apprehensive expression on his face as he caught Sam's eyes, pleading with her to do something.

"Come on, Uncle Jack." Jo tugged at his hand again and he decided to leave his girlfriend and her father alone.

"Dad, I need to talk to you." He heard Sam say as Jo pulled him in to the front room.

**

"Sam what's going on?"

"So, how are you, Dad? Selmak doing okay?" She smiled, trying to delay what she knew she would have to say eventually.

"Sam, what is your CO doing in your house and why is my granddaughter calling him Uncle Jack?" Jacob demanded, seeing straight through her stalling tactic.

"Dad, I know it's been a while since you've been... home," she struggled for the right words. "But over the last year or so a lot of things have changed - at home and at work."

"General Hammond told me you've been moved to a more scientific role at the SGC."

"That's true, I'm still a permanent member of SG-1, but I now report directly to General Hammond."

Jacob suddenly understood where she was going with this. "Please tell me you aren't involved with Jack O'Neill, Sam."

"I'm sorry I didn't tell you sooner, Dad. We tried not to let it get round at work, but I think most people know by now, and it didn't seem right to tell you over a communication to the Tok'Ra."

"I can't believe this!" Jacob fumed, to Sam's surprise. She hadn't expected him to be particularly pleased about her relationship, but she thought he would've at least been supportive.

"Why not? We aren't breaking any rules, and we waited this long to be together."

"Sam, you know how this will look for you when it comes to promotion. He's still a senior officer and you're a junior female officer. People will make assumptions."

"Dad! It's never been about my job; in fact it's the only thing that's kept us apart for as long as it did! I don't care what people think, I'm happy with Jack - we're both happy." Sam told him defiantly, her eyes flashing with anger.

"Don't say I didn't warn you."

"What I do for a living isn't as important as Jack is to me, Dad. We save the world on a regular basis and we all deserve to have a private life. Even General Hammond supports us."

"George knows about you two?"

"Yes, he helped us find a way to be together without splitting up SG-1."

Jacob was silent, an expression of irritation on his face. His eyes glowed for a second as Selmak took Jacob's place, a smile appearing on his face.

"On behalf of your father I would like to apologise for his behaviour." The tok'ra told her in a low voice, making sure no one in the house would hear the alien voice. "I would like to congratulate you and Colonel O'Neill, I believe you are well matched."

Sam laughed wistfully. "Thank you, Selmak. I wish my father felt the same way."

"I will endeavour to help him see your happiness in this relationship, Major Carter. He wishes to see the rest of his family, but we shall speak later?"

"Sure, once Mark and Liz go to bed." She answered, suddenly feeling drained of energy. Jacob left the kitchen, to be quickly replaced by Jack, who came to stand behind her where she had slouched down on a stool by the counter.

"You okay?" Jack asked her, grasping her shoulders and rubbing comfortingly at the knots of tension there.

Sam sighed. "Not really." She replied miserably.

"Hey, c'mere." He stood her up and wrapped his arms round her, stroking a hand over her hair and down her back soothingly. She held on to him as if her life depended on it, wishing her father didn't still have the ability to make her feel so bad about herself.

"I didn't even tell him about you living here, he was so angry with me." Sam said into his shoulder.

Jack hugged her tighter, feeling guilty that he couldn't make her feel any better about the situation. "We'll win him over, Sam. Good ol' Jake is just shocked you'd go for a guy like me."

She tilted her head back to look into his eyes with a sad smile. "It doesn't matter to me what my father thinks, Jack. I love you and they won't change that."

"They?"

Sam looked sheepish as she realised her slip. "Dad and Mark."

"Oh."

"Jack, I'm sorry." She told him, running a hand over her face and feeling stressed as she thought about an entire week of her father and brother getting at her.

He pulled her to him again. "Promise me you aren't going to worry about this."

Sam was silent, still trying to decide what she could do to make her father see sense.

"Sam?" That elicited a smile from her, his tone exactly as he used when Daniel wouldn't follow an order in the field.

"Don't get all Colonel-y on me, Jack." She warned him, a humorous expression lighting her face.

"Just you keep smiling." Jack told her affectionately, giving her a kiss on the lips, before telling her he would get the barbeque going as long she rang Daniel and Teal'c for moral support that afternoon.

**

The day was very warm by late afternoon, and everyone was enjoying the sunshine in the garden whilst sipping on cold drinks and burgers from the barbeque. Sam had avoided being left alone with her father or Mark that afternoon, staying near Jack, Daniel or Teal'c instead. She was infinitely grateful for Liz and Jo who were constantly around Jack or herself, especially Jo who had managed to steal most of Jack's attention, telling him stories about her friends at school. Liz had left her youngest daughter sitting at the lawn table with Jack, to come and sit beside Sam as she watched her boyfriend and niece together.

"He's lovely." She told Sam, without having to explain herself.

Sam smiled. "Yeah."

"He thinks the world of you."

"Jo has taken to him." She changed the subject, not wanting to let slip her earlier discussion with Jacob or her encounter with Mark the previous day.

"She's usually so shy around strangers, at least for a few days before she gets so chatty and friendly. Beth told me she likes Uncle Jack too."

"They're so different, aren't they?" Sam said, gesturing to Beth and Jo.

"Everyone says that. Beth's teachers have said she's excelling in school but they're worried about how quiet she is. I mean she's got lots of friends, but she prefers books to people." Liz confided with a small sigh.

"Sounds familiar."

Liz laughed. "Mark keeps telling me she's exactly like you were. Maybe I'll have an astrophysicist as a daughter!"

"Don't tempt fait!" Sam told her, laughing herself. "Beth will be fine. A lot of parents will think you're lucky as they struggle to get their kids to even look at a book."

"I know, as long as she's happy."

Sam smiled encouragingly at her and got up to see what Jack and Jo were up to at the table. As she drew closer she could see Jo laughing noisily at something Jack was doing - what turned out to be a drawing with a large bumble bee in the wrong colours.

"What's so funny, Jo?" Sam asked her, resting a hand on Jack shoulder to see what he had drawn before laughing herself.

"Hey don't you start, Major. That's a masterpiece, that is." He grinned, pulling on her arm so she would sit on his lap.

"You two look silly." Jo laughed at the couple.

"You draw me a bumble bee, missy, if you think mine's so bad." Jack challenged her, getting a smile from her as she grabbed a clean sheet of paper and the box of crayons.

"I see you're spending your time productively." Sam grinned at him, circling her arms around his shoulders. "And won't I hurt your knees sitting on you like this?"

"Sam, you aren't heavy enough and my knees aren't fragile, you know."

"I think your doctor would disagree."

"Are you arguing with me?"

"Would I do such a thing?"

Jack gave her a sarcastic smile. "Of course you wouldn't." His hand slipped under the back of her top as he kissed her, the touch of skin on skin making her shiver.

"Warm hands." She grinned; watching his eyes as he pushed strands of hair behind her ears with his other hand.

"Uh oh, incoming." Jack said suddenly, his arms falling to her waist and trying to look as innocent as possible.

Jacob stood over the table, watching his granddaughter drawing her picture for a minute before asking Sam for a word in private. Her heart sank as she got up, following her father back to the house, passing Daniel who gave her a questioning look.

Once in the front room and well away from the garden where anyone could overhear them, it was Selmak that spoke first.

"It appears you were not entirely forthcoming about your relationship with Colonel O'Neill, Samantha."

"What do you mean?"

"Jacob believes you are living together."

Sam stared at him, mortified. "Yes, it's true. How... how did you find out?"

"Jacob was passing your room and the door was ajar. There were many items he believed could not belong to you in there."

"Selmak, let me talk to my father." She asked him, her own anger building.

"If you insist." The eyes flashed with a white light and the serene face was replaced with a furious one. "Sam, this is getting worse! What are you thinking? To move in with a senior officer?"

"Dad, how dare you go into my room - our room? I'm not fifteen anymore and you haven't got the right to tell me what I can and can't do!" Sam raised her voice, the frustration that had built up during the day finally venting.

"I have nothing against Jack, Sam. But you are putting your career on the line for this...fling!" Jacob shot back.

"A fling? That's what you think this is? Dad, I can look after myself and I don't want your judgement on this."

"I'm your father, you get it whether you want it or not!"

"Everything okay in here?" Mark came in through the door as Sam and Jacob stared at each other, both stubbornly refusing to back down.

"Did you know your sister has a live-in boyfriend?" Jacob asked him.

"What? Jack lives here?"

"Yes. I didn't want to tell either of you because you both haven't even given him a chance."

"You've only been together a few months!" Mark exclaimed.

"Eight months, Mark. And nearly nine years that I've known him." She corrected him sharply.

"I can't believe this!" Mark went on.

"How do you know Jack is even as serious about this as you are?" Jacob asked her - irrationally his symbiote told him in his head.

"Dad, that's ridiculous. You know Jack. You know he wouldn't have a short-term affair with a junior officer for the hell of it. If you're both just going to attack him then I don't want any part in this discussion anymore." Sam stated harshly, making a move for the door. As she got there Jack was just about to come in. Taking one look at her downcast face, his grasped her hand and took her back into the front room with him.

"Okay, you obviously both have a problem with me being with Sam, so why don't we discuss it all together instead of upsetting her." Jack suggested heatedly, trying in vain to disguise his now-natural protectiveness.

"Jack, it's okay. Let's leave it." Sam tried to persuade him quietly, but he squeezed her hand and didn't let go.

"She's my little girl, Jack! How could you take advantage of her like this?"

"Dad!"

"Come on Jake, you know I'd never do that."

"No, Jack. I don't know. I know that you are risking Sam's career over this and it seems pretty obvious neither of you have thought this through." Jacob snapped.

"I told you, General Hammond knows about this and he supports us. I'm not risking anything!" Sam repeated, starting to feel as though she was reliving some of her teenage years, the claustrophobic feeling from arguing with her father returning. "Jack, please, lets go back outside."

**

Another gone 3AM job I'm afraid - I hope it doesn't reflect in the writing, please tell me of any factual errors and I'll fix em :D

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Explosion_Of_Colour