Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Colours Of Love - Part 2 - Wonderful Tonight

by Explosion_Of_Colour
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Colours Of Love - Part 2 - Wonderful Tonight

Colours Of Love - Part 2 - Wonderful Tonight

by Explosion_Of_Colour

Summary: (SJ Established) The things he'll agree to.
Category: Romance
Season: any Season
Pairing: Jack/Sam
Rating: PG
Warnings: none
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).
Archived on: 03/01/04

Colours Of Love - Part 2 - Wonderful Tonight

"So have you met Dad yet, Jack?" Mark asked once they'd ordered their drinks, looking over the rather extensive menu.

"Yeah, a few times. Not since we've been seeing each other though." He replied, it suddenly occurring to him that he didn't even know if Carter had told Jacob yet. Now that would be something he'd want to avoid at all costs, a protective brother was one thing, an over-protective father who happened to once be a USAF General and now had a snake in his head, was a whole other galaxy. Sam smiled sweetly at him, obviously knowing what he was thinking. He couldn't work out if it was a trace of guilt he saw fleetingly cross her face or if it was his imagination.

"Uncle Jack, can I have chocolate ice cream?" Jo piped up, beaming up at him from the seat beside his, where she had insisted she sat as soon as they were shown to their table.

"Maybe for dessert, kiddo."

"I think my brother will have a fight on his hands as her favourite uncle the way you're going, Jack." Liz informed him as she pointed to what Jo would like on the menu.

"Uncle James is silly." Jo told him with a giggle.

"She giggles like you," he said softly to Sam, a mischievous grin appearing instantly on his face. She elbowed him in the ribs for his efforts and gave him what he now referred to as the 'warning look'. It meant his antics were tolerated at present but it was likely she wouldn't be so patient if he carried on, whereby he'd get her 'don't mess with me look' quickly followed by 'you'll be on the couch tonight look.'

She wore the dress he'd teased her into; a dark red two-tone fabric slung low across her chest by beaded straps. Jack slid his hand to rest on her thigh, preferring the direct contact when Mark fired questions at him.

"I guess this week will be fun for you then." Mark was saying, a cross of sympathy and sarcasm in his voice.

"Sorry, what?"

"With Dad coming on Sunday. If he makes it that is."

Sam chose that moment to excuse herself to go to the ladies room, which Jack quickly repeated for himself. He cornered her just before she got to the door, pinning her to the wall with an arm either side of her.

"And just when were you going to tell me about this?"

"I didn't know until yesterday, and Mark called not long after that so I mentioned it to him and then it kind of... slipped my mind." Sam explained guiltily, with her best winning-over smile.

"Sam, nothing ever slips your mind. Does Jacob even know about us?"

"I think so."

"You think so?"

"It's not something I can tell him in the middle of the gateroom with fifteen technicians listening in!" She protested weakly, resting her hands on his hips.

"You really are trying to kill me aren't you?" Jack said even as his exasperation faded. He couldn't stay angry with her for more than five seconds anymore.

"It was a surprise to me too, of all the weeks for a visit Dad picked this one." Sam told him miserably, hating that she'd put him in this situation.

"Is there any chance he's going to swing for me when he finds out about us?"

"He'll be okay. I'll talk to him, I promise." She hugged him, and then laughed suddenly. "I'm a hopeless girlfriend, aren't I?"

Jack gave her a reassuring smile. "It's the age old meeting the girlfriend's parents nightmare. At least I can meet the whole family all in one go."

"When can I meet your family?" Sam asked out of the blue, making Jack realise she'd done that thing again, her mind jumping quickly from one thing to another. Maybe it was a woman thing.

"Not a chance, Carter. I know where you're going with this. No big family reunion this week. Your dad and brother are bad enough without my crazy family in the mix."

She dazzled him with a beautiful smile before replying: "I never even considered it."

"Of course you didn't." Jack replied disbelievingly. "I know the way your mind works, Major, so don't even think about it."

Sam pulled him to her to brush her lips over his before she grasped his hand to make their way back to the table. Up ahead, Jo was out of her seat and the couple caught the last of what she was saying, much to Jack's horror. "...and they were kissing again."

"You think I could get Teal'c down here? I'm going to need a bodyguard." He whispered into her ear just prior to reaching their seats.

She squeezed his hand reassuringly. "You should have left a memo." She grinned at him as they sat down, all eyes on them as they returned. Jack shot her an evil look and took a sip of the beer that had arrived in their absence.

**

After a lengthy meal and an even longer dessert, the group piled back into the car to go back to Jack and Sam's. Jo was nearly asleep and Beth was listening to music on her headphones, giving the adults some time to talk. Mark had been a little off towards Jack during their meal but Liz chatted away to him as if they were old friends, telling him all about her side of the family and how nice it was in Colorado Springs at this time of year.

Once home, Mark volunteered to put Jo and Beth to bed and Sam opened a bottle of wine. She was setting out the glasses on the counter when Mark came into the kitchen behind her.

"So how are you really, Sam?" He asked her suddenly, making her jump.

"Mark! Don't sneak up on me like that!"

"Hey, I thought you were military, so not possible to 'sneak up on you'." He replied, pulling a hand through his sandy hair with a smile.

"Probably the wine." She laughed, pouring out the red liquid into the frosted glasses, beginning to get the feeling Mark had something to say.

"Those are nice." He gestured to the wine glasses, taking one for himself and his wife but not moving out of the kitchen.

"Thanks. Jack and I chose them a few months ago - they're my favourites." Sam explained, smiling at the memory of the shopping trip. It had been not long after Jack had moved in with her and that had been the day it hit her how happy she felt with the domesticity of shopping with her boyfriend - although Jack hadn't been too impressed with her extensive shopping habits, complaining that he'd have brought Daniel along if he'd known so they could have stopped in the pub and waited for her to finish.

"What does Dad think of him?"

'There it is,' she thought. "Dad respects him as a good leader and an asset to the Air Force. You don't like him?" She lowered her voice, although she was pretty sure their voices wouldn't carry as far as the front room.

"I'm not sure yet. He's a lot older than you, Sam and isn't he your boss?"

"Not anymore, and he's not much older than me. I really want you to like him, Mark. I love him and he loves me, if that's what you're worried about."

"You haven't told Dad, have you?" He accused her with suspicion.

"It's not that I haven't told him, it's just finding the right time to get into the personal stuff, you know?" She defended herself, hoping to appeal to their shared understanding of their father.

"You don't think he'll approve?"

"Mark, I don't know! I want him to, but it won't make any difference to how I feel about him. I'm a big girl and it's my life. Please make the effort to like him, he's a good man." Sam pleaded with him, trying not to loose her patience. His whole family liked Jack, yet she suspected he couldn't get past the fact Jack was also military, and wouldn't admit it was what was really bothering him. She gripped the remaining two glasses and didn't wait for a response. Fighting with Mark was the last thing she wanted right now.

The front room was filled with laughter as Jack seemed to be telling Liz about his foreign friend Teal'c coming on a fishing trip with him some years ago. Liz couldn't believe that his friend had no concept of what fishing was, and found it very funny with the aid of Jack's story telling. Sam handed him his glass of wine and curled up to him, grinning as he continued the story. Mark followed her in and sat next to his wife, not particularly amused at how funny she was finding his sister's boyfriend.

"What Jack isn't telling you is that there are no fish in this lake." Sam added in at the end, making Liz double over in laughter.

"Hey, the fish grow this big in that lake, I tell you." He retorted, demonstrating the size he meant for Liz's benefit.

"You have never actually caught anything though have you?" She replied cheekily, tilting her head up to look into his eyes.

"Hush up, you." Jack replied with an affectionate smile, kissing the tip of her nose. She grinned playfully at him, both lost in each other for a second.

"You two are so sweet," Liz told them, which Jack could have sworn Mark pulled a face at.

They made conversation with a CD playing in the background, drinking wine and swapping stories until the early hours of the morning. Jack idly ran his fingers up and down the side of Sam's thigh with the arm wrapped round her, not realising the motion had sent her to sleep until Mark announced he should get to bed, Liz quickly agreeing.

"Are you going home tonight, Jack?" Liz asked on her way out of the front room.

"Err, haven't decided yet." He lied, not convincingly by the knowing smile on Liz's face.

"Well be warned Jo might come into your room first thing tomorrow morning," She said with a wink. Jack chuckled and said goodnight. He stroked Sam' hair gently to try to wake her.

"Sam, baby, come on. Wake up for me." He whispered in her ear. Sam stirred and he couldn't resist kissing her sleepy face, which got him a tired smile.

"Everyone gone to bed?" She asked before even opening her eyes.

"Yeah." She sat up straight and stretched, clicking a few bones from sleeping in a funny position. "I think Liz has sussed us."

"About what?"

"Me living here."

Sam laughed, flopping back against his side to hug him. "I don't care anymore. Too tired."

"Bed for you then." He helped her up, having to guide her up the stairs in her sleepy state. He got her into bed, kissing her forehead tenderly, before kissing her on the lips and whispering goodnight. Sam surprised him by throwing her arms up around his neck to pull him to her for a hug.

"I'll only be a minute," He assured her, using the bathroom and changing before climbing into bed next to her. She turned to face him and he pulled her to him in a lovers embrace, feeling exhausted himself.

"Jack?" She said softly.

"Mmm?"

"You were wonderful tonight."

**

There ya go all you mad people! Hehehe. And yes the last line is from the song!

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Explosion_Of_Colour