Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Colours Of Love - Part 9 - Decisions Of The Heart

by Explosion_Of_Colour
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Colours Of Love - Part 9 - Decisions Of The Heart

Colours Of Love - Part 9 - Decisions Of The Heart

by Explosion_Of_Colour

Summary: Future/S-J established story
Category: Future Story, Romance
Season: any Season
Pairing: Jack/Sam
Rating: PG
Warnings: none
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).
Archived on: 03/25/04

Colours Of Love

Chapter 9 - Decisions Of The Heart

Jack woke the following morning to the sensation of lips on his, opening his eyes to the welcome sight of Sam leaning over him.

"Morning, gorgeous." He managed to mumble sleepily, reaching up to tangle his right hand in her hair.

"Hey," She greeted him with a smile, giving him a final kiss before pulling away. "I brought you coffee."

"Come back to bed." It was more an order than a request, and Jack had already grasped her round the waist to pull her back to him, giving her barely enough time to set his mug down on the nightstand.

"Do I have a choice?" Sam laughed, slipping under the covers.

"Nope. If its not at least 0730 I'm not getting up."

"Actually, its now 0810, sleepyhead." Sam answered, shifting on to her side so she could slip her arm across his waist. "I think that water fight must have worn out those girls, Liz told me they're both up by 7 without fail at home."

Jack smiled smugly. "So we may have some time to ourselves. You fancy a shower?"

"Is that an offer?" Sam replied, tracing circles on his stomach with her forefinger.

"I can make it an order if you'd prefer." He countered, catching her wandering fingers as she hit a ticklish spot.

"Well if it's an order..." She gave him an enticing smile and made a move for the en-suite, tugging gently on his hand.

**

When the couple finally got downstairs, it appeared their guests had started breakfast without them.

"We were considering sending out the search parties." Jacob informed them, helping himself to a piece of toast from the pile Liz had just placed on the table.

"You just get funnier, Jake." Jack retorted sarcastically, provoking an amused smile from the tok'ra.

"I can't say the same goes for you, Jack."

"Play nice, you two." Sam warned them, glad to see their usual banter had returned.

"Uncle Jack? What are we going to do today?" Jo asked him as he sat down.

"Whatever Aunt Sam says we should." He quipped in response.

"Actually there's a lovely beach town a little ways out from here." Sam suggested.

"Is that the one Daniel keeps raving about?"

"Yeah, he said the buildings are wonderful, a real seaside town."

"I spy scientist mode rearing its ugly head..." Jack announced dramatically, making Jo giggle.

"Day on the beach sounds like fun." Jacob assured his daughter.

"I can make sandcastles on the beach." Jo told Jack proudly, avoiding her mother's attempts to feed her the cereal that had been left half eaten in front of her.

"Did we bring buckets and spades with us, Dad?" Beth asked - rather sensibly for an eight year old, Jack thought.

"No, but I'm sure we can buy some when we get there." Mark answered.

Jack reached for the coffee pot in the middle of the breakfast table, only to find it empty. Finding Sam in the kitchen, he placed the drained coffee pot on the surface in front of her, slipping his arms around her waist from behind and kissing her the exposed curve of her neck.

"What are you doing in here?" Sam scolded him gently.

"Need more coffee." Jack answered simply.

"I brought you coffee this morning, and you didn't drink it."

"I had other things on my mind." He explained coquettishly, resuming kissing her neck as she tried in vain to finish making pancakes.

"Would you two give it a rest?" Mark's irritated voice startled them both as he deposited a few plates by the sink.

"Mark!" Sam exclaimed heatedly, her patience running thin at his hostility, but he had already disappeared back in to the breakfast room.

**

Tall grey-stone buildings bordered the narrow streets of Phoenix Bay, scattered cafes and little shops gave the town a cosy air. They found parking spots overlooking the beach, surprising them all by how few people were around on such a sunny day.

"Can we go in the sea?" Beth asked immediately.

"I want to build sandcastles!" Jo announced for the millionth time.

"I can get a bucket and spade for you, Jo. You all go down to the beach and I'll catch up." Sam suggested, seeing a chance to saunter through the delightful town in her own time. Getting assenting nods, she turned towards what looked to be the main street connected to the car park.

"Whoa, wait up." Jack caught up to her as the others went in the opposite direction, clasping her hand.

Sam laughed. "You don't have to come, I thought I'd let you get to the sand as quickly as possible."

"I can't let the surfer boys of this town think they can hit on you... and I don't have anything to play in the sand with."

"You big kid."

"Hey, I'm reliving my- "

"Uncle Jack!" They both turned to see Jo running up to them, her parents looking on from a little way up ahead. "I want to go with you and Aunt Sam."

"Okay, kiddo." Jack agreed as she grasped his hand, watching as Sam waved to Liz - a signal Jo would be okay with them.

"There's a fish!" Jo exclaimed suddenly, pointing to a small shop with lots of inflatable rings, sharks, whales and fish on display for swimming in the sea with. A large golden Labrador had been tied up outside the shop, its owner having gone inside. He took an instant liking to Jack, who knelt down to stoke him. Jo joined in, squealing joyfully when the dog began to lick her face.

"Come on, you two." Sam laughed at them, smiling at the man - the Labrador's owner she guessed, came out of the shop. The dog barked as Jack straightened, wagging his tail and moving his attention back to Jo who was still patting him on the head.

"Hey, this is Chico." The man introduced his Labrador to Jo, untying the dog's leash from the post. "He likes you."

"Chico's cute." Sam watched with a smile as Jo spoke to the dog, thinking she'd have to ask if her brother had considered pets in the house at home.

"We should get a dog." Jack said aloud, grasping Sam's hand again as he stood next to her.

"See, your Mum and Dad might get you a dog of your own." The man smiled kindly at Jo, before pulling Chico away down the road, who gave one last bark in their direction.

"So kiddo, are you going to choose a bucket and spade so we can get to the sand-castle makin'?" Jack asked her, taking her attention away from watching the dog and back to the inflatable fish.

They eventually left the small shop with two Nemo-like fish, two buckets of different sizes and a spade, along with Jo telling them all about her friend Lexi's dog.

"Can we go in the sea?" Jo asked, and once getting an affirmative from the aunt, suddenly dropped her hand. "There's Beth!"

Jack pulled Sam closer to his side as Jo ran off to her sister. "Please tell me you have the bathing suit with you."

"If you mean the black bikini, then no."

"Sam, why? I was really looking forward to that part of the day." He whined.

"Jack, you seem to forget my father is here. You may be back in the good books with him but I don't think he'd appreciate his daughter wearing a bikini to please her boyfriend." She grinned at him.

"Please tell me when I get you to myself again?" Jack pleaded dramatically, making her laugh.

"They're only here until the day after tomorrow, but I'm not sure about Dad."

"So what do you think about getting a dog?" He asked her seriously. "We could name him... Chuckles."

"Not a chance, Jack."

"I thought you liked dogs?"

"I meant I wouldn't subject a poor animal to the name 'Chuckles'."

"So you wouldn't mind us having a dog?"

"I love dogs - a Collie or a Labrador would be great." She stopped to face him, looking him in the eye. "But I get to name him - or her."

"What about Baxtor?" Jack suggested, only half serious this time.

"Jack, you are officially off the naming committee." Sam laughed.

"There's a committee?"

"Yep."

"Does it involve you wearing a black bikini?"

"You have a one-track mind, Jack."

"It's a certain blonde Major I know who's to blame."

"I have no idea who you mean." Sam responded innocently, ending their banter with a kiss.

"If I didn't know better I'd say you were trying to shut me up."

"Jack, go play in the sand."

**

"Will the girls be okay out there with Jack?" Mark asked his sister as he kept a weary eye on his daughters in the shallow water with their new fish.

"He's trained cadets before, Mark. Those two will be no problem." Sam replied patiently, before returning to her book.

"I think I'll go in too, I need to cool off." Liz told them, although Sam guessed it was purely to keep her husband quiet.

"Sam, can we talk?" Mark said the second his wife had reached the water, leaving them alone. Jacob had set out on a walk ten minutes ago, complaining the weather was too hot to sit still in.

Setting her book down on the sand, she had a feeling she knew what was coming. "What's wrong?"

"Jack."

"Still?" Sam asked, incredulous.

"Why are you with him, Sam? Is it because he's in the military too? You think you share the same interests because of that?"

"Mark, I know you don't have the greatest respect for the Air Force, but please don't let it cloud you judgement on this. Your whole family like him, why can't you?"

"What about the future? You want kids with him?" Mark continued.

"That's not really your business." Sam responded, trying to keep her temper in check.

"Maybe not Sam, but I don't want you to get hurt. That Jonas guy was bad news from the beginning but you wouldn't listen to me."

Sam stared at him in surprise. "You don't like Jack because you think he's like Jonas?"

"They're fairly similar, wouldn't you say?"

"No, not at all."

"They're both military, Sam."

"Mark, I'm military. Jonas was nine years ago, and I made a mistake. Jack's not like him, in any way."

"I'm glad about that, but I can't say I'll ever be Jack's greatest fan."

"You don't have to be. Just be happy for me."

Mark nodded in reluctant agreement, accepting her hug and spotting Jack running up the beach to them.

"The water's great - those two little trouble-makers keep splashing me." He told them, grasping Sam's wrists in a shower of saltwater. "You have to come in."

"Two harmless little girls are too much for you are they?" She teased, letting him pull her to her feet.

"Hey, I was being triple teamed me! Liz joined in too."

Mark stayed with their things, telling them he would wait for Jacob to return and then join them in the water. Floating joyfully on their new fish, Beth and Jo took great pleasure in splashing their dry Aunt before she could get to the deeper water.

"Didn't I tell you they were trouble-makers?" Jack grinned at her, threatening to overturn Beth's fish and send her into the water.

"No! Uncle Jack!" Beth squealed, losing her balance and tumbling into the water. She surfaced laughing, trying to grab the fish back from Jack.

**

It was late afternoon before they realised they'd missed lunch, Sam and Liz both agreeing that one of the sweet little cafes would be a good place to eat. Making their way towards the end of the beach, Sam lagged behind with Jack, who held her hand and had yet to wipe the grin from his face.

"I've been thinking."

"There's a surprise." Jack replied sarcastically.

"What do you think of Jasper?"

"Jasper?"

Sam rolled her eyes. "For our dog."

"You really want a dog?" He asked, still surprised she'd agreed.

"Yeah, named Jasper." She grinned at him.

"Where'd you spring that one from?"

"My best friend in high school had a black Labrador named Jasper. We used to take her for walks."

"I still like Chuckles." Jack protested humorously, catching her around the waist and turning her to face him.

Sam leaned in to kiss him, pulling back with a smile. "I love you."

"And I love you." He grinned back at her, watching with curiosity as her smile became mischievous.

"So when can I wear my ring?" Sam asked innocently.

Jack feigned an exasperated sigh. "You'll have to be patient."

"Jack!"

"Patience is a virtue, Major."

**

Quite long that one! Would you forgive me if I finish this series soon but promise to do a sequel with Jack's family?

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Explosion_Of_Colour