Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Colours Of Love - Part 6 - Surprises

by Explosion_Of_Colour
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Colours Of Love - Part 6 - Surprises

Colours Of Love - Part 6 - Surprises

by Explosion_Of_Colour

Summary: Jack meets Sam's family (S/J established)
Category: Future Story, Romance
Season: any Season
Pairing: Jack/Sam
Rating: G
Warnings: none
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).
Archived on: 03/11/04

Colours Of Love

Part 6 - Surprises

Jack and Sam were up early the following morning, enjoying the quiet and each other's company as they sat drinking coffee on the patio. It wasn't long after dawn; the sky was still speckled with purple blue colours.

"You think if we went up to the cabin and left them all here they'd find us?" Jack mused aloud, absently brushing one hand through Sam's hair as she lay against him.

"I don't think any of them would speak to me again, but no I don't think we'd be found." Sam smiled against his side. "Are you considering a jailbreak, Jack?"

"I would never leave my adoring fans, Carter." He answered, his grin softening the sarcasm in his voice.

"Maybe we should all go to the big fun park today. Although I really have no idea whether the girls even like theme parks."

"I know I do."

"Jack, Beth and Jo are not old enough for those big rides you like, I know Mark hates them and there's not a chance I'm going on that thing that drops five floors."

"I'm sure I can con Liz into it." Jack told her with a childish grin.

Sam laughed at his enthusiasm, reaching over the cushion to place her empty mug on the ground before replacing her arm around his waist.

"You feeling lazy today?" Jack asked her, glancing again at her stretched out form on the cushions.

"Definitely."

He leaned down to kiss her, his hand moving to support her head at the awkward angle.

There was a forced cough all of a sudden, breaking their private moment as they looked up to see Jacob stepping out on to the patio.

"Up early?" He asked, watching his daughter carefully.

"So are you." Sam answered casually, refusing to remove herself from her comfortable position in Jack's arms just to please her father.

"Junior not sleeping through the night, Jake?" Jack quipped.

"Did you all have a good evening last night, Dad?" Sam put in quickly before Jacob could answer Jack's bold question.

Jacob looked ready to partake in a battle of sarcasm with Jack, but changed his mind. "Yes, we found a bar that was quiet enough to actually talk in. Your brother seems to be doing very well at work. Liz too, head of the English department at the school apparently. Maybe- "

"Auntie Sam! Uncle Jack!" A distance voice was calling out from inside the house.

"We're outside," Sam called back, guessing it was Jo coming to find them, having not found them in their room. She appeared at the outside patio door, nearly tripping on her long nightdress as she stepped down to the paving stones. Taking one look at her aunt and uncle snuggled up together, Jo pulled herself up on to Jack's knee, turning to him so she could talk.

"Uncle Jack?"

"Yep." He answered, pulling the little girl further on to his lap so she didn't knee Sam in the face by accident.

"Beth says I should ask you to chase us again, 'cause it was fun." She told him seriously.

"Maybe I will later. You should watch out in case I get ya." Jack warned her, tickling her waist.

"Is Mark or Liz up yet, Dad?" Sam asked, smiling at Jo's squeals of delight.

"Probably by now." Jacob responded, not quite believing the sight of Jack so comfortable with Jo as well as Sam. He had been told early on about Jack's past, how he had had a son who'd died, but Jacob could still not imagine Jack as the family type. The sight before him now was beginning to change his mind; Jo had never really taken to him and she'd known him since she was two years old, yet Jack had only been introduced to her a few days ago.

"I'm going to make some more coffee." Sam told Jack, sitting up. "Would you like some juice Jo?"

"Can I have apple juice?" She asked politely.

"I'm sure I can find some." Sam assured her, eliciting a brilliant Carter smile from her niece. "Don't you teach her anything you shouldn't." She told Jack playfully, receiving a kiss for her trouble.

Jacob followed her into the kitchen, listening to his granddaughter tell Jack about her favourite videos. "Do you have to do that?"

"Do what?" Sam answered, sounding distracted as she searched for a tray to place the mugs for Liz and Mark on.

"Be so attached all the time. It's not the best example for Jo and Beth."

"I don't know what you're talking about Dad." She replied, finally spotting what she was looking for at the back of the cupboard.

"Did Jack tell you about our conversation last night?"

"Not really. He said you apologised to him, and that's about it." Sam informed him, placing two glasses on the tray and refilling the coffee maker.

"I overreacted, Sam, I know I did. But are you sure this is what you want? Really what you want?"

Sam stopped what she was doing to look at him directly. "Dad, I'm happy. I've wanted this for a long time and now we can finally be together I've never been happier. I don't want to fight anymore."

Jacob was silent, a pensive expression on his face as Sam returned to preparing the drinks. She poured the coffees and was about to take Jo's juice out to her when Jacob stopped her.

"Sam, I am pleased for you; I know I haven't shown it. I think seeing you so settled surprised me. I mean the last time I saw you, you were happy to spend every second at the SGC."

"I know, Dad." Sam set the glass down so she could hug her father, feeling as though the weight of the world had been lifted now Jacob had given her his blessing - albeit in his own way.

**

"Jack have you seen my book? The one I had next to the bed." Sam called in to the bathroom where he was shaving.

"That the one with those funny balls and lines on it?"

"Molecules, Jack, and yes, that one." She answered, smiling at his obvious exaggerated ignorance.

"I er... I was reading it."

Sam wished she could see his face when he said that, unsure whether he was serious or teasing her. She moved to his side of the bed, giving each drawer the once over without any luck. Pulling on the bottom drawer, she found it locked. Curious now, Sam opened the top drawer again; spotting the key she'd seen there before. Typical Jack, he never thought to hide anything within the house, although it was the first time she'd ever found anything locked. Placing the key in the locked drawer, she hesitated, wondering if she should leave it be. Curiosity won out and she turned the key and peered inside, ready to push it shut if Jack came back in. There wasn't anything obvious that was worth hiding, a few photos and a tie with Homer Simpson emblazoned on it - he had threatened to wear it a few times and the one time he had, Daniel had spent the entire night laughing at him.

She was about to close the drawer when her gaze fell upon a beautiful wooden box in the back corner. Inquisitive fingers traced the patterns on the lid, before grasping it gently and pulling it out. The lid released easily to reveal pink tissue paper; a velvet jewellery box nestled in at the top. Beginning to feel guilty about intruding now, Sam opened the smaller box, a small gasp escaping as she took in the sight of the pretty silver locket, shaped in a heart with stars imprinted on the face. Wondering if he had placed pictures inside, she snapped the locket open, having to catch the tiny piece of paper that fell out.

'I'm crazy about you. Marry me?'

Sam stared at the words, her heart beating so fast she could barely breathe. She wasn't supposed to find this, not now. But she smiled, feeling ecstatic excitement at the thought that maybe he was planning to ask her. Replacing the paper inside the locket and placing the box back into the wooden chest, she felt something underneath the tissue paper. Feeling terribly bad now, she carefully pulled back the tissue paper to reveal another, smaller jewellery box. Before her conscience got the better of her, she pulled the box open, her breath catching as she discovered the lovely ring inside. It was a simple diamond set in a princess cut, a small baby pink stone either side, upon a silver band; the words 'Yours forever, Jack' inscribed on the inside of the ring.

Hurriedly putting everything away exactly how she'd found it, Sam could barely think straight. They were supposed to be going to the big fairground adventure park within the next half an hour but all she could think was when he'd bought that lovely jewellery and how long he'd been planning to ask her.

**

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Explosion_Of_Colour