Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Circles - Chapter 3

by Explosion_Of_Colour
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Circles - Chapter 3

Circles - Chapter 3

by Explosion_Of_Colour

Summary: Sometimes life just keeps going round in circles. until something breaks the pattern.
Category: Action/Adventure, Romance
Season: any Season
Pairing: Jack/Sam
Rating: G
Warnings: minor language
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).
Archived on: 03/09/04

Circles

Chapter 3 - You Shouldn't Kiss Me Like That

Against his better judgement, Jack found himself on Carter's doorstep a half hour later, having walked her to her door. They stood in silence for a few moments, neither knowing what to say.

"Carter- "

"Sir- "

"You go." Jack conceded politely, half-sitting on the porch railing that stretched the space at the front of her house.

Sam looked nervous, looking as though she couldn't decide what to say, then she met his eyes and spoke quietly; "Will you come in, stay a while? I think we should deal with this, sir."

"I don't know, Carter, I've had a few too many drinks tonight. It might not be such a good idea."

"Sir, if we don't talk about this tonight I don't think we ever will." She reasoned, her eyes pleading with him to change his mind. "Please?"

Jack stared at her for a few moments, finding it nearly impossible to say no to those lovely eyes. He reached out to stroke a strand of golden hair behind her ear, tracing her jaw line gently, then dropping his hand, his own eyes reflecting the turmoil of his feelings.

"I'm sorry, Sam, I just wouldn't trust myself alone with you tonight if I came in. I'll see you tomorrow morning." He turned to leave, approaching the still-waiting taxi, then turned back as if to say something. She was still stood there watching him depart, silhouetted in the porch light behind her. Jack changed his mind and got in the taxi; if he didn't leave right now he probably wouldn't until the morning.

**

The next morning General Hammond even noticed the tension between his two flagship team officers. He knew better than to take the aside to question it though, having countless reasons to trust them based on previous events. Hammond just hoped it would resolve itself, like it usually did. After all, they were his best officers.

**

Sam had spent as much time as she could hidden away in her office that day, hoping not to bump into her CO for a while since the less than comfortable drive this morning. She'd been a little surprised when the Colonel had turned up even after what had transpired the previous evening. He'd even been his usual self - albeit a little grumpy due to a headache (definitely not a hangover he claimed). His humour had lifted her spirits slightly, having been rather nervous about facing him. Usually being the one to refuse to talk about their 'relationship', Sam found herself very edgy and needing to discuss what had happened with him, but at the same time trying to avoid him altogether. I am a walking contradiction, she told herself.

It was coming up to 2030 when Sam glanced at the small clock on the wall of her lab. Deciding she was too distracted to get anything productive done, she shut everything down and gathered some files she needed to take home with her. Just as she got to the door, a figure appeared, crashing straight into her.

"Somebody get the number of that bus..." Jack quipped; stooping to pick up a few of the folders she'd dropped.

"Sorry, sir." She replied, smiling genuinely for the first time that day.

"I figured you'd still be here, Carter. I'm leaving now, you wanna come with?"

"Oh... em..." Sam floundered for a believable excuse. "I'll be a while- "

"Carter- " Jack began, then thought better of it, continuing quieter; "Sam, I think maybe you were right about talking. We should talk about what happened, about everything."

Sam looked him in the eyes, the sincerity she saw there creating a sudden urge to kiss him. "Okay."

"I'm going to go check the training sequence for next week, I'll meet you topside in 10?" With her nod of assent he dashed off again.

**

She signed out at the guards' station, saying goodnight to the officers there, and went through to the car park, standing on the lush green grass. The evening was cold again, promising a frost a bitter chill in the air. Sam hugged herself as she shivered, thankful for her warm coat and scarf.

"Hurry up, Jack." She breathed softly; unaware she'd used his first name.

"Hey." A hand touched her shoulder; her heart sank as she recognized the voice.

"Sir." She greeted Karrington, his inappropriate suggestions from the night before still on her mind.

"What are you doing out here all by yourself?"

Something in the way he said it made her shiver. "Waiting for someone, sir."

"I can give you a ride, if you like, save you waiting in the cold." Karrington offered pleasantly.

"It's okay, sir." She replied, beginning to move away towards the hillside, hoping he'd get the message she didn't want company. Unfortunately he followed her, clearly not about to make this easy.

"I have a name, Sam." Karrington persisted.

"Sorry, sir. Did you have a good time at the part last night?" Sam asked politely, veering the conversation away from anything remotely personal. She sat down on the grass where it seemed somewhat sheltered from the icy wind.

"It was good to meet people." He sat down beside her, turning to look her in the eyes. "You looked lovely."

To Sam that sounded distinctly predatory, setting off alarm bells in her head, not liking where this conversation was headed. "I better get back to the car park- "

"Let me take you, we could stop for a late dinner on the way." Karrington suggested, grasping her wrist as she moved past him.

"Sir, I don't think that would be appropriate- " She protested, pulling her arm free and setting off again.

Suddenly he grabbed her from behind and threw her violently to the ground, knocking the air from her lungs.

"You don't usually care what's appropriate and what's not Sam."

"What are you- " Sam gasped, trying to catch her breath as her chest ached painfully. Before she knew what was happening he was upon her, tearing at her jacket and nearly strangling her by trying to tug her scarf off. She punched out and kicked at him, but he knew every move she knew, blocking her effectively.

"Stop it! Get - " He smacked a hand over her mouth, bashing her head hard against the solid ground in the process.

"Shut up!" The bump nearly knocked her out, but sent her senses into panic mode, kicking and fighting valiantly against him. Her aim was off and the world seemed to have doubled itself, but she fought unconsciousness furiously. Adrenaline surged through her as Karrington finally got her coat off her, taking a few buttons of her shirt with it. The cold hit her through her short-sleeved top.

"So what is it? A superiors thing? You like to be the favourite so you go after your commanding officer? You're all the same!"

Sam continued to struggle for all she was worth, a confused expression provoked by his words.

He laughed at her. "I saw you, Sam. After the party, very cosy there with your CO. It's not even as though you try to hide it. I bet Hammond would love to know how far that little tryst went. One of many, I'm sure."

Karrington shifted his weight to her left leg, making her cry out silently through his hand. Sam quickly saw her chance, bringing up her right leg hard, and pushing at his chest with all her remaining strength. He lost his balance and fell backwards in pain, giving her enough time to drag herself up. She bolted for the car park, still seeing double. She got near to the guards' station and waited there, catching her breath, assured that being in sight of the officers would stop Karrington from trying anything else.

**

Jack finally cornered the technician he was looking for and was on his way to the elevators in no time. The second he stepped onto the surface he spotted Sam. What the hell was she doing in just a shirt out here - it was nearly cold enough to snow. As he signed out at the guards' station, one of the two guys in there looked up and said with concern; "She's been there for about five minutes now, sir." Sgt Mark Thompson had seen her dash into the car park, but he hadn't seen her when she left the mountain.

Jack nodded to him, then, walking towards her he noticed she was white as a sheet and pacing backwards and forwards in the space of about a meter, stumbling slightly every so often.

"Carter?" He called.

She looked up, relief showing on her face.

"Carter what are you doing out here without a coat? It's freezing!" Jack admonished her. She was worrying him now, a glazed over look in her eyes like-

He caught her swiftly before she hit the ground.

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Explosion_Of_Colour