Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Circles - Chapter 2

by Explosion_Of_Colour
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Circles - Chapter 2

Circles - Chapter 2

by Explosion_Of_Colour

Summary: Sometimes life just keeps going round in circles. until something breaks the pattern.
Category: Action/Adventure, Romance
Season: any Season
Pairing: Jack/Sam
Rating: G
Warnings: minor language
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).
Archived on: 03/09/04

Circles

Chapter 2 - Moment In Time

The briefing went on and within half an hour SG-1 was dismissed.

"There is a formal event at a local hotel tonight, Colonel, an SGC member is retiring." The General informed Karrington before the team left. "You are welcome to come, it may be a good chance to meet more members of the SGC."

"Thank you, sir. I'll be there." He answered, casting a sideways look at Sam before he left behind Teal'c.

"Oh Jack," Hammond called quickly as he turned to leave. "Don't even think about dragging the mission out to miss Colonel Webster's party tonight."

Carter nearly laughed aloud at that, which caught only Jack's attention as he feigned a hurt expression before he replied; "The thought hadn't even crossed my mind, sir."

The General smiled knowingly and went back to his office, leaving Jack alone with Sam, who was still grinning in amusement at Hammond's accurate accusation.

"Busted, sir."

"Don't make me hurt you, Major."

**

As it turned out there was nothing on the planet of interest or scientific value, not even enough for O'Neill's antics to stretch the mission out just long enough to miss the tedious formal 'party'.

"What was the reason we came to this planet in the first place, Carter?" His boredom evident, as they walked through yet another forest.

Sam smiled patiently and explained; "There was signs of life from the readings the MALP sent through, sir."

"That's funny, 'cause I could've sworn we've just seen trees, trees and more trees..."

"I thought you liked there to be trees on planets, sir."

"This would be classed as overkill, Carter."

**

The team returned from the mission two hours ahead of schedule, much to Jack's chagrin. Colonel Karrington was getting on his nerves as well, adding to his bad mood. It turned out he and Carter had a lot of past projects they could discuss from when she worked in the Pentagon, so Jack had spent the remainder of the mission walking behind the two, silently alongside Teal'c, whilst scowling at his new team-mate's back. Seeing her laughing and joking with Karrington had him in a less than cheerful mood.

"Sir?" A knock at the door drew his attention to the Major standing in the doorway.

"Yeah Carter, come in."

"I just wanted to check that you still don't mind taking me to the hotel tonight."

"About 1900?"

She nodded in reply. "Thanks, sir. I'll see you tonight."

"I hear there's going to be exciting people to discuss your doohickeys with tonight." Jack ventured before she left.

"Maybe." She smiled. "Janet and I are going to drop in on Daniel on the way home now, you want to pass any message on?"

"Danny's not coming tonight?"

"His leg is still in plaster, sir."

"He's got crutches!" He exclaimed with juvenile envy that his friend got to skip the awful shindig.

He was rewarded with a dazzling smile for his efforts. "Bye, sir." Sam laughed as she left him alone.

**

Formal but non-military to attire was the dress code for the evening, Jack groused for the millionth time. Wearing his dress uniform felt so much more comfortable than the black suit he was wearing at the moment.

"You bored, T?" he asked his friend as they sat together at the bar, Teal'c with a Coke and Jack drinking beer. Teal'c had actually gotten hold of a navy blue suit and wore it with his customary bowler hat to cover his emblem.

"There is little to do here, O'Neill." Teal'c answered smoothly.

"Tell me about it."

The music wasn't to his taste and his eyes kept sliding to where Sam was standing with a group of scientists from the SGC. He tried not to admire the way the blue satin she wore clung to her in all the right places.

"You want another drink, T?" He asked, at the same time as he spotted Karrington headed for his 2IC.

"I will order them, while you check on Major Carter." Teal'c replied, a hint of a smile playing on his lips.

Jack didn't reply, but shot his friend an evil look, then sauntered casually over to the group.

"...it was a nightmare, they brought all this red powder back through the gate."

As they all laughed at Captain Glace's story, Jack assumed he'd missed something.

"Hey sir, you enjoying the party?" Sam asked softly, positioning herself beside him while the rest of the scientists continued to talk in their rather large circle.

"Oh yeah Carter, it's a blast." Came the sarcastic reply.

"It'll be winding down soon, sir. Then you can make your escape." She smiled knowingly at him.

"It's that or I'm going to get Teal'c to zat me." Jack replied, his eyes on Karrington, who kept looking at Sam whilst talking to Major Johnson.

They were silent for a few minutes, each taking in the conversations around them.

"You look good tonight, sir," Sam said, and immediately her blue eyes widened as she realised she'd spoken aloud. He glanced again at her sky blue satin dress, showing just enough thigh and not enough cleavage. Jack smiled mischievously, quickly weighing whether to go for a sensible reply or take advantage of her embarrassment.

"If I told you how good you look tonight, I'd probably be court marshalled." He spoke quietly, nearly in her ear. 'This has got to be the beer talking,' he thought, but the shocked look that accompanied her shy smile and blushing face was worth it.

"You want something to drink?" Jack asked in an attempt to move back to safer ground.

"Yeah, I was going to go see Teal'c over there. He looks a little... bored." She replied.

"Well if they gave out some water guns he'd be happy as larry." He grinned at her then deadpanned; "I tried to persuade him to dance with me..."

Sam laughed at the thought of it. "Oh, I left my bag..." Sam turned and made her way back to the group of scientists. Karrington watched her all the way, and then picked up her bag to hand it to her. Jack saw her smile gratefully, then as she began to move away, Karrington grasped her arm, obviously suggesting something. Jack could've sworn she looked nervous as she shook her head in the negative. He then leaned down to speak into her ear so no one around them would hear, still holding her forearm. Sam shook her head again, pulling her arm free and made her way back to Jack, an irritated expression on her pretty face.

"You okay? What did Karrington want?" Jack asked with concern.

"Oh... nothing. Misunderstanding." Sam replied, not meeting his eyes.

Jack sensed something was up with the new Colonel on the team, but he thought it could just be his ... protectiveness towards his fellow teammates.

"Your beer, O'Neill." Teal'c greeted him as they both sat down. Sam ordered a white wine from the bar then joined them.

The party went on for another hour before people started to leave, Teal'c being one of the first as he was travelling back to the base.

"So Major, how's the motorbike coming?" Jack asked, taking a swig of beer.

"I need a new part that the garage didn't have in stock. It could be anytime this week, but my car's going to be longer than that." She looked sheepish, then added; "Thank you for the ride this morning, sir. It would have been a nightmare trying to get a cab at that time of the morning."

"No problem, Carter." He smiled genuinely at her, his eyes looking a little glazed.

"Have you spoken to Daniel, sir?"

"Yeah, actually I rang him before to tell him he's missing out not coming tonight."

"Did he believe you?" she grinned.

"Nope. He actually laughed at me. I'm telling you he's the most insubordinate civilian I've ever come across."

Sam laughed at that. "I think it's your charm, sir."

"Don't you start, Major." He replied warily, but with a smile.

"I think I'll call a cab and get going now." She told him, finishing her drink and standing up.

"No, let me take you, Sam." Jack ventured, slurring his words slightly.

"Sir, you should take a cab too. You've had a lot to drink tonight." She replied, trying to ignore how nice it was to hear him call her by her first name.

"That's what I meant." He grinned boyishly at her, getting his cell phone out and dialling. They collected their jackets and said their goodbyes, then went outside to wait.

Their breaths produced white clouds in the cold January night, and Jack hoped the cab would hurry up.

"Do you work on your truck when it breaks down, sir?" Sam asked, suddenly reverting back to their previous conversation.

"Yeah," he replied. "Not always got the time though. I envy you having a motorcycle, I used to have one when I was eighteen." He told her with a grin, a faraway look in his eyes as he remembered.

"You should buy another one, sir. They always say once you learn you never forget."

"Here." Jack handed her his gloves.

"Thank you." Sam responded, touched at his thoughtfulness. "My bike seems to be more reliable than my car at the moment."

"Well if you insist on keeping that old Volvo." He replied, grinning mischievously at her. "And riding that bike has its good points."

Sam looked at him questioningly, unsure of his meaning. "Like what?"

He pretended to look around to make sure no one was listening, then leaned in close to her. "You wear leather when you ride your bike, Sam."

Her face flushed bright pink for the second time that evening, and she found herself at a loss for words, staring into his eyes and vaguely registering that he'd called her 'Sam' again. He hadn't moved from leaning in close to her, and he found himself very reluctant to move back, his brown eyes flitting from her lips to her eyes and back again. Jack moved in slowly, and when she didn't pull away, Jack pressed his lips to hers gently. When he pulled away, he read something different in her sapphire eyes, desire that he hadn't seen before. Moving as one they embraced each other, the kiss passionate and endless this time.

After what seemed like hours, Jack suddenly came to his senses, pulling back abruptly.

"Oh god, Sam, I'm so sorry."

She stared at him, a massive range of emotions crossing her face at once. Jack looked so remorseful it made her want to cry, having backed as far as he could away from her. They watched at each other, neither sure what to say, until they were torn from their trouble by a car horn as their cab finally arrived in the hotel car park.

Without a word, Jack opened the cab door for her. Sam gave him a small smile and said "It's okay," faintly, beckoning for him to share the cab with her anyway.

**

Colonel Max Karrington had stumbled upon the intimate scene a few minutes after he'd watched Sam leave the party. He had known they were more than just friends as soon as he'd seen them arrive together, O'Neill resting a protective hand on the small of her back to guide her through the crowds of people; her private smiles that she only smiled for him. Of course this was good leverage for him. Being assigned to SG-1 was supposed to be temporary, but he was determined to make it permanent, so it would have to be either Major Carter or Colonel O'Neill who would have to leave. That should be easy enough now he had seen what he' just witnessed.

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Explosion_Of_Colour