Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Dance Around A Black Hole With Me

by Emry Wild
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Dance Around A Black Hole With Me

Dance Around A Black Hole With Me

by Emry Wild

Title: Dance Around A Black Hole With Me
Author: Emry Wild
Email: emry55@hotmail.com
Category: Thoughts
Episode related: 215 A Matter of Time
Season: any Season
Pairing: Sam/Jack
Rating: G
Warnings: none
Summary: Sam needs to get ready for a lecture and she gets a little more than she bargained for.
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).

DANCE AROUND A BLACK HOLE WITH ME

"Sir, are you ok? Did any of this make sense?"

"Sure Carter, but maybe you could go over that part about the whirlpools again."

"Yes Sir"

It's becoming rare for me to speak at the academy these days, what with saving the world and all. Actually, it's just difficult to find the time to prepare a lecture; and realistically, speaking outside my field of expertise is something I really try to avoid.

A recently discovered black hole was found in a neighboring galaxy and the professors at the academy had invited a leading expert in the field to come lecture. Even though I've had first hand experience with black holes I was excited about his visit and really looked forward to an evening outside the SGC.

It really doesn't pay to get excited. I never should have answered that phone. I really do know better. But I just couldn't help it and I picked up the receiver.

"Yes Sir. I'd be happy to." Damn, I really need to learn to say "NO".

Three days before the lecture. The guest speaker is not coming. His wife went into labor. And I couldn't say no.

How bad could it be, really? After all I do have first hand experience and I have researched the subject at hand - extensively I might add. And all of the doctor's outlines and research are coming Fed X... overnight priority... a.m. delivery. So how bad could it be?

My anxiety levels really started to increase as I waited for the package and strategically started to plan how I would present the lecture. Some would almost say that I was starting to develop stage freight. But this was not stage fright. Stage fright is an emotion, a fear of being in front of, speaking to, acting out, and in general just having someone else see and hear who you are, what you know.

No, this was definitely not stage fright. It was something a bit more ominous.

While waiting for my package a certain Colonel Jack O'Neill just happened to corner me in my lab.

"So... Carter... I hear your giving that lecture at the academy for old Dr. what's his name."

"Yes Sir. I guess I kind of volunteered."

"You don't seem real happy about it. What's wrong? Don't ya think you're up for the challenge?"

"Oh I'm sure everything will be fine Sir. It's just that this is not my specific field of expertise. And there will be several very prominent people coming to listen to a leading expert in this field and they're only going to get me."

"Oh... Well don't worry; I'm sure you'll do just fine. And by the way, I'll be your escort. At least you won't have to worry about transportation."

O.K. What do I do now? Before I could graciously decline his generous offer the Colonel practically skipped out of my lab with a grin that more than covered his entire face.

Well forget panic attack, try heart attack!

The Colonel actually has a very good knowledge of black holes. After all he's had first hand experience too. However, there are certain aspects that he can explain better than I can, and although he feigns ignorance and lack of understanding he will know beyond a shadow of a doubt if and when I make a mistake.

Oh Boy!

After a day of pouring threw, sifting and analyzing all the data I thought my head was about to explode. Einstein, gravitation pull, rotational energy of space-time fabric, event horizon, corona, super radiated gas, magnetic fields, suns.... I'd been at this too long and it was time to get some sleep.

It's amazing what a few hours of uninterrupted sleep can do to reenergize the body. Uninterrupted? Well, all I really needed to do today was put the finishing touches on my outline, two or three practice runs, and maybe just maybe I would really pull this off tonight.

Six hours later my outline was complete and I had a very good idea of what I would say so that I didn't just stand there sounding like I was reading from someone else's speech. That would have been disastrous, no humiliating.

I couldn't help feeling however, that something was just not quite right with the world. It had been awfully quite ever since I sequestered myself into my lab yesterday morning. Despite wanting to be left alone I had still expected about half a dozen visitors to check on my progress. But no one came, not even the colonel. I wonder what kept them all away? Not that I was complaining. It's rare to have time just to myself to work on a project. Guess I should have counted my blessings while I was ahead.

Needing to take a breather and put some much-needed food into my stomach, I made my way to the cafeteria. Selecting a half sandwich and some soup I headed over to where Janet was sitting in the corner.

"Hi Sam. How's the lecture coming?"

"I'm just about done. I still need to go over it a few times. Maybe you could come and listen, let me know what you think."

Silence... Did I just say something wrong? I've seen a thousand different expressions on Janet's face, but it's been awhile since I've seen that one. Eyes - popping out of head. And that "please no, that's not a good idea." shaking of the head expression.

"Janet are you ok?"

"Yeah...just fine." Janet shifted from her chair to leave then quickly whispered in my ear before making a hasty retreat.

At least now I understood why the past couple of days had been lacking interruption, any and all interruption. A certain Colonel, who shall remain nameless, had been a very busy boy.

"So...Colonel" As much as I understood why he was looking out for me, not wanting me to be disturbed, I couldn't help but feel a little annoyed. It was like having your parents shoo your friends away because you had homework to finish or you had just been grounded for a week.

"Carter... I thought you were working on your spiel for tonight... Are you ok? ... You need something?.... I'm in trouble aren't I?" I just love to watch that man squirm, to get that deep-seated satisfaction that despite he's my CO I still have some control over our relationship.

Let me see, how to torture you further. Make you come crawling, begging me to forgive you for bribing and blackmailing any and all who should disturb me before tonight.

"Well Sir, since you seem to have scared off my practice audience you are hereby chosen to listen to me practice my lecture for tonight. And it may take several rehearsals before I get it right."

That did it. The most humble of apologies was emitted from his face. He can have the most soulful honest look encompass him when he's truly sorry. It's hard to stay mad at him but I said what I meant and meant what I said.

Three hours later and two practice runs I think tonight will go very well. I'm not even panicking about the Colonel being there anymore. In fact, I'm glad he's going to be there.

"Sir, did it sound ok? Did it make sense? Do you really think I'll be able to pull this off?"

"Carter, you could totally rewrite and manipulate theories written by Einstein himself and be able to pull it off."

"Thank you Sir" I really want to say more but my heart just stopped.

"It's about time we get ready to go don't ya think?"

As much as I really want to stay right here and bask in the glory of his compliment, he's right. I still need to shower and change. But when I get home tonight, I am going to write this day down on my calendar as one of the top ten most remembered moments with the Colonel.

"Yes Sir. It's time." I pause a moment more before taking his offered arm and extended an invitation of my own. "So, Colonel, care to dance around a black hole with me?"

"Most definitely Major, most definitely."

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Emry Wild