Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Little Green Objects and A Chance

by Emry Wild
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Little Green Objects and A Chance

Little Green Objects and A Chance

by Emry Wild

Title: Little Green Objects and A Chance
Author: Emry Wild
Email: emry55@hotmail.com
Category: Humor, POV, Romance, Thoughts
Season: any Season
Pairing: Sam/Jack
Rating: G
Warnings: none
Summary: Sam takes a walk. Meets a little man. Does a some thinking. Learns something interesting.
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).

Little Green Objects and A Chance

"What is it?"

"A chance."

"A chance?"

"Yes"

"I don't understand."

"One chance to make it right. Correct what your heart knows it should do."

This planet was nothing like what the MALP had reported, absolutely nothing. There were gorgeous waterfalls and rivers, trees and vegetation - well, those were a given. But for me...the samples that I've collected...wow! This planet is a sumptuous buffet of minerals and elements; many of which have never been seen or cataloged. I definitely need to come back with the science team and stay awhile.

When we arrived on this planet it was an immediate attraction; I was mesmerized and entranced by what I saw. And regretfully everything else and I do mean everything, including my team, was almost completely forgotten. It didn't take me long to just start...wondering...and collecting samples...and honestly - get lost.

I'd been gone for quite some time when a little man; with very big ears, confronted me. He was fairly hesitant in his approach when I first saw him. He seemed entranced by the two-way on my jacket but never made a move to touch it or ask me about it. I was beginning to think he couldn't speak or communicate in any way when he handed me a small, round, green object. A short discussion ensued and he suddenly just disappeared. My two-way disappeared along with him.

I should have been disturbed by the fact that he took my two-way, but I wasn't. I did remember where I left everybody. At least I thought I remembered where I left everybody. As I said, I had become so distracted by the new discoveries that I had made that I really didn't pay attention to where I was going. I'm not usually so easily distracted, but this planet; this is my element, my type of world. This planet is a scientist dream!

Anyway, if I was ever going to have the chance to come back here with the science team it was well past time to head back towards my own team and I just prayed the Colonel didn't have my hide when he saw me. But as much as I should have hurried back, the conversation with the little man started going through my head over and over again. And my somewhat quickened pace turned into a slow methodic...crawl.

'A chance to correct,' correct what? 'Correct what your heart knows it should do,' there's nothing wrong with my heart. 'A chance,' what's that supposed to mean?

I wished that funny little man hadn't disappeared so quickly. I wonder what this little object is that he so generously bestowed upon me.

'A chance,' ha....

I'm sure this little object can't be anymore significant - probably less - than anything else we have ever come across in our journeys. It's just a simple little object probably no more valuable than an old forgotten painting or book. It's just a thing, no buttons, no writing, nothing movable. Even if I'm wrong, and that is possible, how can this little thing give me 'a chance'?

I wonder what that little man meant? 'A chance to make it right,' make what right? 'Correct what your heart knows it should do.' My heart? Do what? I'm so confused.

A little while ago I was content, happy with this world around me with the new discoveries. Now I'm not sure what I'm feeling. It's funny; I should be feeling really guilty about wondering off and not checking in with the Colonel. But, I really don't feel bad about that. However, my conscience is wavering at the moment because more than likely I've let the Colonel down. I'm sure he's worried and will have every right to nail me to the wall when he sees me next. We're very close, he and I. Not in any inappropriate way, we just care about each other and respect one another...beyond the normal.

Well, with the little man gone there's no sense in brooding over his statement. Or the fact that I just wondered off, or that the Colonel is going to kill me when he sees me coming, or.... Stop it Sam! I don't understand any of this anyway. And if I don't get myself in gear and return real soon...

"Carter!"

Oh no...

"Just were the hell have you been?" Most definitely, he's mad!

"Collecting samples, Sir."

"For six, no seven hours? Without checking in?"

"Yes, Sir."

"All you've done is collect samples?" He paused washing his hand over his face before continuing. I stayed quiet, very quiet. "The rest of us have been searching for you, worried sick that you were lost...or hurt...or lying somewhere..." I've seen the Colonel mad before, but this is new. He must be really, really pissed. He can't even look at me. Oh this can't be good.

With nothing to lose I just.... "I'm sorry, Sir. I got so involved with what I was doing and in the scenery and in just...everything... I just lost track of time." Sam, you just went to far. Goodbye planet, goodbye science team, and hello "Court Martial". Well, at the very least a pretty harsh reprimand. With a horrendous speech like that one what else could I expect?

Without warning the Colonel suddenly turned around and hugged me so tight - holding on for dear life. Wow! I could really get used to this.

"Colonel, I can't breath."

"Sorry, did I hurt you?"

"No. I'm fine. A little surprised maybe."

It's so hard not to stare into this mans eyes. With even the briefest of looks he can make me feel...feel with intensity. He can make me feel joy, sorrow, peace, uncertainty, love, hate, and all at the same moment. I'm fairly certain that I do this to him too.

"Carter?"

"Yes Sir"

"I met someone shortly after you wondered off to do your scientist thing. A small man, really big ears, didn't say much just handed me this little object.... What?"

"Sir, I think I met the same man. About four hours ago, he gave me the same little object."

Sure enough, encompassed within each of our hands we had been given identical objects. Small, round and clear like emeralds.

"But what are they Sir?" I asked with an air of uncertainty.

"A chance," he whispered while looking at my feet.

"A chance to make it right," I whispered back, equally looking at his feet.

"Correct what your heart knows it should do," he replied even less audibly as he quoted the final statement of the funny little man. It was now obvious he had been thinking about what the little man said too.

"Sir...do you think he was trying to tell us...I mean you and me...something personal? Something that if we don't figure it out, try to..."

"Sam. They're just two little objects."

"But, Sir?"

"No.... They may mean something. They may actually do something. I can't explain, but that little man.... It's not what these little green objects are or what they might do it's what they may represent."

"Represent?" Ok that came out a little more sarcastically than I had expected - but really?

The Colonel looked at me briefly, shrugged, then continued on with a reassuring voice. "You and me. Our chance to someday correct what our hearts know they should do. You know...to be together...to feel together...to love together."

Oh.... How do you respond to that in a coherent voice? I certainly can't.

"Sir?"

"Carter...it's ok. When were both out of shock over whatever I just said you'll have to explain it to me anyway."

"Yes Sir."

"We really need to get back to the others. I think that little man stole my two-way."

"He took mine too, Sir."

Falling into step beside the Colonel, I feel confident that he is right. In his own unique way he's a very wise soul. I truly love that quality about him.

As for the little green object and the little man - who knows? Maybe two hours from now this whole thing will make sense or maybe twenty years from now. Maybe not even in our lifetime. I really don't know. But one thing is for certain; today we were briefly given 'a chance' to reaffirm so many of our unspoken words, withheld feelings and 'a chance' to remember that things do forever change.

"Sir?"

"Yes, Major."

"With your permission, Sir, I would like to return with the...."

"Don't push it, Major."

"Yes, Sir."

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Emry Wild