Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Guess Who

by Elise Hudson
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Guess Who?

Guess Who?

by Elise Hudson

TITLE: Guess who?
AUTHOR: Elise Hudson
EMAIL: elisemarie@cwcom.net
CATEGORY: Sam/Jack, Sam/Daniel
SPOILERS: None
SEASON / SEQUEL:
RATING: PG
CONTENT WARNINGS: None
SUMMARY: Sam has to choose between Jack and Daniel.
STATUS: Complete
ARCHIVE: Heliopolis
DISCLAIMER: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. We have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the authors. Not to be archived without permission of the authors.
AUTHOR'S NOTES:



The Wife

I can't believe how easily someone's life can be flipped upside down. One day everything is normal, the next you're spiralling into a bottomless pit of confusion. It all started when I fell in love with a man a shouldn't. We'd been friends for years, working closely, nearly dying together, saving one another and then one day I realised I had deeper feelings for him. I dismissed them, tried to repress them but imagine my surprise when he admitted he loved me. That day was one of the happiest of my life as it marked the beginning of my new life - a life of happiness with the man I loved. Seven months later we were married by General Hammond. It was another of my happiest days. I casually forgot that pain is as universal as joy, but I was reminded.

We'd just begun planning on children the day he went on that fateful mission, which was why I didn't go. The team came back a day early with news that my husband was missing. They'd been attacked and lost sight of him. The General immediately sent other teams through the Stargate but he was never found. I spent months not knowing if he were alive or dead. And if he was alive was he okay? Was he being held prisoner? Or had he been hurt and forgotten who he was? Had he forgotten me?

The questions nearly drove me insane until my savior came along. He was my husband's best friend, he was my best friend, he was a team mate, he was the one who had saved me from depression, he was the one who had saved both my husband and myself on numerous occasions. If he was such a best friend why did he fall in love with his best friend's wife? And why did I fall in love with him?

I can't explain how it happened. It just did. He was my savior, my confidant, my shoulder to cry on, my lover. I'm not proud of it you know - falling in love with my husband's best friend. It never would have happened if my husband were still here with me, but he isn't. And I didn't immediatley jump into bed with him, either. I spent two years believing my husband would return before I eventually realised he wouldn't and it was over a year later that I felt any romantic feelings for my lover. Late at night, when I was on my own I'd think of my lost love but remember he was lost to me. He was gone. Not here. Not with me and after those two years my guilt at my betrayal had decreased until my world was turned upside down again.

My husband was found. He was alive and safe and he remembered me. He'd been held prisoner for the past five years but treated okay. He hadn't been tortured, starved or beaten at all. He hadn't been starved of company either. He had worked in mines eight hours a day for the past five years and other than a few scars he was the same man who had left on that fateful mission.

As soon as I knew he had returned I knew I had a choice to make. I had to choose between my husband and my lover. A choice I had no idea how to make, but knew I had to. I started by explaining to him that I was involved with someone new. He took it quite well. He was upset at finding out who it was, but he didn't blame either of us. He said the decision was mine and that no matter who I chose he would love me. Trouble was, I didn't know who to choose. The husband or the lover? The one I'd seen for the past five years or the one I hadn't? The one I'd been with longer or the one I'd married? The one I'd wanted children with or the one I'd never discussed it with? The one who had stood by me in my time of need or the one who had suffered as much as me? The military, strong and brave one or the sensitive, intelligent one? The one who openly shared his feelings with me or the one who clammed up at the mention of feelings? The reckless, lunatic fringe one or the ever cautious one? The confidant or shy one? Jack or Daniel?

The Husband

I couldn't believe it when she told me. I never expected her to put her life on hold for me but I also never expected her to shack up with my best friend. Granted, before we got together I could see something between them, but I was the only one who saw it and gradually it faded. It had probably been my imagination anyway. I don't blame either of them, I'm not happy about it, but I could never hate either of them. As a unit we'd been through too much together to ever hate each other.

I don't know who she'll choose. I don't know what I'll do if she chooses him. I mean, I spent five years in a slave labour camp with thoughts of her keeping me alive.... and to come home and not have her, well the word 'pointless' comes to mind. But do I really have the right to make her choose? I've been gone five years, she had every right to get on with her life with whoever she wanted and I can't just walk back into her life and resume my role as husband. To a certain extent I'm not sure if I could take her back. She's been with someone else and I'd always wonder if she regretted her decision if she picked me. And then there's my friend. My best friend. The man who's saved my life, the man I've saved. Can I take his love away from him? He's already lost people he loves, can I take another from him? Could I live with myself if I did?

I guess the first question to be answered is who will she choose? Me or him? I'm not sure if I want to know, but I have to. I have to know who she wants, who she needs.... who she loves the most. I have to know.

The Lover/Best friend

I couldn't believe it when he turned up. He'd been MIA for five years. Five years that had been like a lifetime. In those five years I had fallen in love with his wife. I hadn't planned it and I'd tried to stop it. I mean, my life's ambition wasn't to fall in love with my best friend's wife. But I did. We took the relationship slowly, not rushing anything. I comforted her with the loss of her husband while she comforted me on the loss I had sustained in my life. We became each others life support, clinging to each other for sanity. I was her shoulder to cry on and it was inevitable that we would become more.

I continually felt guilty at having that kind of a relationship with my best friend's wife, but deep down I knew he would forgive me, that he would want her to get on with her life, that he would want her to be happy. I often wondered if I was just her replacement, if I was second best, if he still had her heart, but I thought that less and less. I guess now though, if she picks me I'll continually wonder why. If she chooses me will it be for love? Duty? What? Would she pick me out of obligation and spend the rest of her life regretting it and wanting him back? And can I do this to my best friend? Can I take away the woman he loves, has loved for six years and always will love? Can I take away the one thing that kept him alive all this time? Can I betray my best friend if she picks me? If she does pick him can we go back to being friends? Could I be his friend again? Would he be mine if she chose me? Things won't go back to normal, that's for sure. I feel like the end is coming. The end of everything and nothing will go back to normal. I wish I could erase the past five years so this situation never arose. I'd never have experienced this love but I'd still have my two best friends and none of this hassle.

The General

I married them, I watched them grow as a couple, I watched them go through happy times and I watched her go through the sad. I've known her father for a long time and felt a fatherly feel towards her and I hated to see her in so much pain after her husband's disappearance. I moved heaven and Earth to try and ease her pain. I sent team after team to look for him, but nothing ever came of it. I watched her sink into a pit of depression as she realised the man she loved would not be returning to her. I watched her face light up in hope when a door opened and she thought it was her husband. I watched the disappointment settle on her face as she realised it wasn't him.

I started to get very worried about her until she began to get closer to her friend. He breathed a new life into her and she began to live again. She was a new person. She wasn't the same person she had been but she was happy. Their happiness continued until her husband returned and whenever I see her now she has a torn look on her face - a look of confusion. She has to choose between two men she loves for two totally different reasons. I know how much she loves both of them and I know how difficult this choice will be. I wish them all luck, they're going to need it.

The Doctor

I hate to do this to her. I'm her best friend and I know how hard everything's been on her. She's been through more heartache than any woman should have. She lost her husband only to get him back after she had put her life back on track and now she has to choose her old life and her new. I have to be the one to throw her life into even more turmoil. I have to put another variable into the equation of her choice. I have to go tell her that she's pregnant.

The Wife

And just when I thought my life couldn't get any worse - it did. Janet just me I'm pregnant and I... I... I don't know. I'm amazed and shocked at being pregnant, happy too but, how can I be happy when I still have to choose? The choice is no longer between husband or lover it's between husband or father of my child and I'm afraid it's an obvious decision.

I'd just begun to work out who I was going to choose. I'd realised who I loved most but it doesn't matter now. It doesn't matter who I love want, who I love most, who I want to spend the rest of my life with. None of it matters. The decision has been made for me. I have to choose the father of my child. There's no point in me deciding who I love most because it's irrelevant - my child comes first, even if it means losing my happiness. I won't actually lose my happiness because I love them both, but would he have been my choice if I weren't pregnant?

I have to go tell my husband. It's over. I've chosen my lover. God, help me please.

The Lover/Best Friend

She's pregnant. She's pregnant with my child. I should be over the moon, but I'm not. I'm not because I know how her mind works. She's going to do what's best for her child, our child and that'll mean it's father - me. The trouble with that is will she be picking me solely because I'm the father or because she's actually picked me?

Can I accept her when she may not truly want me and may only be with me because of the child? Can I live a life with her when she may secretly love him more than me? If the answer's no, can I turn my back on my child? That's definitely a no, but can I be with her if she'd rather be with him. Could I do that to either of them? Can I bring up a child in a family with no love? I know she loves me, but does she love him more? How can I make her make that choice?

The Husband

She's pregnant. She's pregnant with my best friend's child. It's obvious who she'll choose. She'll choose him and I'll pretend to be happy, but really my heart will be breaking. It'd break more if I found out she wanted me but had been forced to choose him.

I've lost her and there's not a thing I can do about it. I've lost the second woman I've ever truly loved and, yet again, I'm blaming myself.

I need to get out of here. As I approach the door I see a slip of paper on the floor. Wondering how I failed to notice it earlier, I open it. It's addressed to me in Sam's handwriting. She asks me to meet her in the locker room at fourteen hundred hours.

I glance at my watch. I have five minutes to get to the locker room so I leave now.

I open the door and see my best friend standing there.

"Hey," we both say at the same time.

"What are you doing here?" he asks me and I hold up the note.

"You?" This is what it's been like between us since I've been back. A w kward. And I hate it.

He holds up a similar piece of paper and says, "She's decided then."

I move further into the room. "It's obvious it's you." I whisper, my larynx suddenly failing me.

"Because of the child." He answers and I nod.

I'm about to offer my congratulations, tell him he's still my best friend, say anything when the door opens. Sam's stood in the doorway looking at both of us.

"Hi," she smiles weakly.

"Hey." We both say at the same time. We look at each other briefly before we both turn back to Sam.

"I, ummm, I have something to tell you." she says looking down at her feet.

"We know what you're going to say." I say and my friend nods. Sam laughs slightly and shakes her head.

"Oh, no you don't."

"Yes I do. You're going to choose him because he's your child's father." I say matter of factly while she continues to stare at her feet.

"No I'm not." She whispers glancing up at me briefly before looking at her feet again.

"You're choosing him!" My friend shouts pointing at me. I stand there in total silence, shocked at what she said and its implications.

"No." She whispers barely audible.

"Excuse me?" We both ask her.

She finally looks up and somehow manages to meet both our eyes. "I'm not choosing either of you."

She turns, walks out and closes the door. I turn to my friend and we stare at each other in complete shock. We've both lost her.

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Elise Hudson