Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Overbearing

by Dragonland
[Reviews - 0]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Overbearing Part 1

Overbearing Part 1

by Dragonland

Category: Romance
Season: Season 3
Pairing: Jack/Sam
Rating: FAM
Warnings: minor language
Archived on: 12/23/05

Title: Overbearing
Author: Dragonland
Email: dragon_land1079@yahoo.com
Rating: PG-13
Summary: Sam can read everyone's mind else's mind except Jack's, and she's going crazy!
Classifications: Challenge? I accept! Part 1
Spoilers: Season 3
Archive: SJD, fanfiction.net, heliopolis, SJFIC
Disclaimer: These characters don't belong to me and either does the show, which is okay because I couldn't afford it anyway. But I get to play with them for free.
Overbearing By: Dragonland
"Incoming wormhole!" the technician shouted. "It's SG-1!"
"Open the iris," General Hammond responded dryly.
The team of SG-1 jumped through the gate.
"Close the Iris! Close it!" Colonel O'Neill yelled apprehensively.
He made a mental count of how many made it through the gate. `All four breathing and accounted for,' he muttered to himself. Walking down the clanking metal grate, he dusted his shoulder off.
"What happened?" General Hammond asked.
"Carter, why don't you tell the tale?"
"We walked through the gate expecting to meet Darmion, the leader of PX-102 or more formally known to the native people as Rachshod, which interpreted into English is Clairvoyant, according to Daniel. Something on their planet interfered with the protein marker left by Jolinar and gave me... well, Sir..."
"She's a psychic. Or at least she claims to be," the Colonel replied skeptically.
"Let's test it out. What am I thinking about right now?" Hammond asked.
She concentrated and a vivid image appeared in her head. It was back in Texas. Her father, Jacob Carter was stationed in Fort Worth. He had met George, or to her, Colonel Hammond at the time. She smiled that he would remember something from so long ago.
"You're thinking about my father back when we were all in Fort Worth Texas, Sir," she replied hesitantly.
He shook his head in disbelief. "Go to the infirmary. We'll debrief in two hours. Clean yourselves up."
"Yes, Sir," Colonel O'Neill responded crisply.
Suddenly, Sam grabbed her head and dropped to her knees in agony.
"Carter? What's the matter? Carter?"
He caught her in his arms before she fell to the ground. "Someone get a medic in here now!" he yelled authoritatively.
Personnel scattered at the sound of his voice. He shook her gently to awake her.
"Carter, wake up. Come on."
She shook her head to shake off her grogginess. Looking up to survey her situation, she realized she was in Colonel O'Neill's arms. Not exactly a bad place to be, but not here, and especially not in the gate room or anywhere near this complex.
"What happened Sir?"
"You tell me. We're running through the gate and the next minute, you're about to pass out. Care to explain?"
She grabbed her forehead in her hand and groaned loudly. "Too many thoughts in here."
"Excuse me?"
"People. Too many people thinking at the same time. Please take me to an isolation room."
"You serious, Carter?"
"Never more so, Sir."
"Okay. Do you need me to carry you, or can you walk on your own?"
She smiled weakly. "I should be able to on my own, Sir."
"I'll take you there. Daniel, you and T go and get ready for the briefing. Hammond's seen me worse."
"Come on, Teal'c. I'll be washing sand out of places I didn't even know I had. That planet was worse than Abydos."
"DanielJackson, the content of this conversation has been disconcerting on a number of planes."
"Levels, Teal'c. Disturbing on so many levels," he responded walking through the blast doors.
Sam stood up and swayed back and forth before she could get her balance back. She reached for his shoulder to balance her without even thinking twice.
"Put your arm around my shoulder. I'll help you to the infirmary."
She rubbed her face in frustration. "You're not listening to me! I said I need to be in an isolation room. The mindless thoughts of those around me are beginning to make me go crazy!"
The gate room fell deadly silent. All eyes bored into her. She cowered away and hid in the Colonel's arm in embarrassment.
"What the hell is the matter with you?" he asked angrily.
"The voices, they're overbearing. Please, get me out of here!"
Finally the medic team had arrived and laid her on a stretcher.
"What seems to be the problem?" Dr. Frasier asked.
"Doc, can I talk to you for a sec?" he asked.
"Yes, what is it?"
"It's Carter. She seems to think she is a mind-reader. She's asked to be put in an isolation room."
"Okay, we'll put her in isolation room four."
"Thanks."
"I'll let you know what happens once we get her stable."
He walked out of the gate room and headed to the locker room. A shower is just what he needed. Something to take his mind off Carter's erratic behavior. She'd really flown the coop this time. The shower was quick, knowing that he didn't have much time to prepare for the briefing.
"Colonel O'Neill!" a staff sergeant yelled. "Are you in here?"
"Can't a guy take a shower in peace? What do you want?" he said obviously agitated.
"It's Major Carter. She's asking for you. She says it's urgent. Actually she said `If you don't get Jack in here right now, I'm going to take my foot and ram it up your ass!'
"Ouch. She called me Jack?"
"Yes, Sir."
"She must be really losing it. Tell Hammond I may be a little late."
"Yes, Sir."
He walked at a brisk pace, curious to see what state she had evolved to. He looked into the grey room through the metal bars. She sat straight up in her bed, her wrists restrained along with her legs. He slid his access card and went inside.
"Jack! Finally, someone actually listened!"
"That's Colonel to you, Major."
"Never mind that. Come here."
"I'm not taking a step forward until you tell me what is going on!"
"Take the restraints off."
"You know I can't do that. You've proven that you can't control your emotions or your mouth, for that matter."
"What will it take for you to trust me?"
He looked over at the SF at the door and tilted his head for him to leave the room. He obeyed and left the two of them alone.
"Ah! Finally a break! I was sick of the way he was looking at me."
"And how was he looking at you?"
"Not with his eyes, his mind. You wouldn't believe the nasty thoughts that ran through his head the whole time he was here."
"About who?" he said grating his teeth.
"Now who do ya think?" she asked sarcastically.
"I don't have jurisdiction over people's thoughts."
"Yeah, tell that to the person who has to listen to a guy constantly thinking about taking my underwear off with his teeth. Real fun, let me tell you."
"Haven't you asked him to be removed?"
"What do you think I've been doing the past thirty minutes? Sure as hell haven't been drinking tea!"
"How are we going to make this go psychic power go away?"
"If you'd come closer, I could test my theory."
"I don't know about that."
"Come on, Colonel. I don't bite... too hard."
"You have gone off the deep end, Major."
"Do you want me to be normal again or not?"
"Define normal, Carter."
"Locking myself in my lab, keeping my thoughts to myself, technobabble. Whatever you want."
"What's your theory?"
"Well, when I was in the gate room, I was overcome with the thoughts of everyone around me. I would think because I was standing closest to you that your thoughts would be the most overpowering. Even when I try, I can't read your thoughts."
"That's a relief. You don't want to be in there anyway. You'd get lost."
"There's something that you have that the rest of the base doesn't."
"And that is?"
"I don't know yet. But I'm so glad to be alone with my own thoughts."
"Are you curious?"
"About what?"
"What I'm thinkin'."
"No. Please take these restraints off so I can get some sleep."
"Who's going to watch over you?"
She smiled brightly.
"Carter, do you really think I have time to play baby-sitter?"
"You don't want to hang out with me?"
"Uh, that's not it. Carter..."
"Well, we won't be going off-world until someone figures this out. Realizing that I'm going to be the only one who can, I'm going to need some help, without the interference of people's thoughts. Since you're the only one whose thoughts I can't read, I'm thinking that we're going to be buddies."
He heard the approval beep of the access code scanner and General Hammond walking inside.
"Permission Granted, Major. You have full access to whatever you need and Colonel O'Neill. Make good use of him."
"I plan to, Sir. Thank you."
"Uh, General?"
"She's right, Colonel."
He left the room, leaving the Colonel speechless. Sam laughed light-heartily at his gaping mouth.
"You're going to let flies in if you don't close your mouth."
"Excuse me, Major?" he snapped.
She sobered up, but didn't apologize for the insubordination.
"Well, let's get to work. The sooner we get started, the sooner you'll keep your snide comments to yourself."
"Don't like the competition?" she asked playfully.
"As a matter of fact, no I don't, Major," he said, slightly pouting.
"I need Daniel and Teal'c to run my first simulation. Can you get them for me?"
"What? Now I'm your gopher?"
"General Hammond said I had full access to whatever I needed. That includes personnel. If you don't want to go and get them, send the pervert outside."
"Alright, I'll tell him to go get T and Daniel. Anything else you need?"
"Something to eat would be great."
"I'm on it."
"Colonel?"
"Yeah?"
"Thank you."
"For what?"
"Listening to me."
"Hey, do I see the real Carter poking her head out?"
"I'm serious. Most people would've thought I was just crazy. Thank you for locking me up before it got to that point."
"It's my job," he grinned.
They stood in an awkward silence for a while before Jack realized that he was staring into her eyes. Something about them was ensnaring his attention. He moved closer to her bed and put his hand on top of one of hers. She didn't shy away from him like she normally would.
He opened the door and began to look for the SF that he sent out to get him that Jell-o. On his way down, he caught up with Daniel and Teal'c.
"So, she can read your mind?"
"No. I'm the only one she can't seem to read."
"I wonder why that is."
"I don't really care, actually. I want her back to normal," Jack responded.
The three of them walked back to her room. They entered one at a time. She looked up slightly and bowed her head back down.
"Carter? They're here," he said.
"Thank you Sir," she whispered.
"I'll leave you with Daniel first. Let me know when you need the rest of us. We'll be waiting in the hall."
"Thank you, Sir."
He stepped out of the room and left Daniel and Sam alone. Daniel immediately went up to her bed.
"What is it?"
"I know how to cure whatever it is I have. I know why I'm able to read everyone's mind but his."
"How?"
"Something in his DNA. I can sense it, but I can't identify it."
"Something from Jolinar?" he asked gently.
"I think so. But I'm losing my abilities. Whatever is inside of him is making my power weaker. If I'm correct, I just have to be around him long enough for the effects to wear off."
"How long will that be?"
"I don't know."
"You need to tell him."
"Tell him what?"
"You've been reading my mind this whole time. You know what I'm talking about."
"No, Daniel."
"Sam."
"I can't. I just- I just can't."
"Okay. I'll go. I'm sorry that you don't love yourself enough to do it."
"Daniel-," her voice warned.
He knocked on the door and walked out. Jack and Teal'c stood outside in the hall waiting for Daniel.
"So, what's up?" he asked.
"She asked for you, Jack. I think she has the solution," Daniel responded.
"I'll be out in a few. Send for General Hammond."
He slid his card and entered the room again. She sat on the bed in perfect posture, staring directly at the wall. Her face was chiseled in a neutral expression.
"Daniel says you have the solution. That was pretty fast, considering the fact that you've only been in here for a couple of hours."
"I guess so, Sir."
"Sir? What happened to Jack?" he asked playfully.
"You have something in your genetic makeup that is fighting of my telepathic tendencies. It's a matter of how long I'm exposed to you that will determine when my abilities will wear off."
"So, you don't know how long it'll take to wear off?"
"No, Sir."
"Will you go on a crazy rampage if I take you off base?"
"I can't say for sure, Sir."
"But you said that your powers are not as strong, right?"
"Yes."
"Let me talk to General Hammond. I'll see if you and I can get away from here to get rid of this psychic power that's plaguing SG-1."
She nodded in silence. General Hammond was standing outside her room, watching the interaction between his two best officers. He knew they had some unresolved issues, whatever they might've been. Realizing that he needed to get his star team back on the roster, he listened intently to what Colonel O'Neill said.
"She says she needs to be exposed to me to get rid of her physic powers. Permission to take her outta here."
"You know I can't do that, Colonel. She may be a threat to the people outside this mountain. We don't know if she has something that can be spread."
"Let Doc Frasier check her out. If she's clean, then let me take her."
"Where to, Colonel?"
"I don't think she's had a normal vacation since she's worked here. Hell, I don't know if she has ever had a vacation. Minnesota, if you're okay with that."
"If she checks out with Doctor Frasier, you have my permission to take her for a week. Do whatever it takes to get her back to normal."
"Yes, Sir. Daniel, go and get the doc. I'd like to get home before traffic starts."
"General?"
"Yes, Colonel?"
"Nothing. I hope this works."
"Agreed. Get her checked out and come and see me before you leave the base."
"Yes, Sir."
The General left the three of them standing in the hall. Daniel and Teal'c stared at Jack, waiting for him to give them the game plan.
"Well?" Daniel asked.
"Well what?" he asked back.
"What are you and Sam going to do?"
"Umm, what do you mean, Daniel?" he said evasively.
"Come on, Jack. Quit jerking me around. We want to know what you've got planned. Maybe we can help you out."
"Teal'c?" Jack asked.
"I to wish to know your intentions with Major Carter," he replied in his stoic voice.
"Intentions? Good grief! You'd think I'm taking your daughter out for a date. Jeez, guys! I'm taking her to my cabin to relax and to get rid of her physic powers. I'd invite you guys, but her `powers' don't like you."
"That is all?" Teal'c asked.
"What else would there be?" he asked, his voice beginning to change from his normal tone to one of annoyance.
They both sighed and turned to walk away.
"Guys, come on."
"See you in a week, Jack. Hopefully you've figured it out by then. We'll send Doctor Frasier your way. Enjoy `relaxing' with Sam, Jack," Daniel said sarcastically.
"Maybe you two need to be checked out by the doc," he replied snidely.
TBC...
Feedback makes the world go round.

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Dragonland