Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Broken (all parts)

by Dominique
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Broken (all parts)

Broken (all parts)

by Dominique

Summary: Everything is not over till the end.
Category: Action/Adventure, Angst, Drama, Hurt/Comfort
Season: any Season
Pairing: Jack/Sam
Rating: PG
Warnings: violence
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).
Archived on: 02/07/04

Some of you may have read Broken. That was the first part of this trilogy; the parts are numbered so if you read the second part, skip to part three. Thanks to Jessica, my beta reader! ^_^ Hope you like it, feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. __________________________________________________________________________

Part 1 14:52, 24/11/03

"Shit! We have to get her out of here...now!" The soldier's eyes dropped and he approached the figure cautiously, carefully replacing his sidearm in his pouch. "It's okay Carter, you'll be out of here soon...." His words were strained and he knew, even in the obtrusive darkness that she was unconscious. He knelt down beside her, removing the shackles that had restrained her, shyly glancing up at her face, gasping at the pain he saw in every feature, heard in every breath. He took her body in his arms carefully, suddenly overwhelmed by how fragile she had become, or maybe she had always been like that; maybe he'd just never noticed, never been close enough to really notice. "Teal'c, cover my six. I don't think we made too much of an entrance..." Daniel frowned, "Errr Jack?" "For crying out loud Daniel, what is it?" Daniel pointed down the corridor and an unmistakable metallic thumping was carried in the air. "Lets go!"

16:23, 24/11/03

Jack didn't really remember the rest of it, even now sitting in his room, staring at the blank wall. All he could remember was Sam. Her delicateness, her body in his arms, her strained breathe. He wanted to see her, so much, but he couldn't. He couldn't face that look on her face, that confusion in her eyes, so he sat, staring at the blank wall.

23:23, 24/11/03

"What the hell happened to her?" Janet murmured, between medical instructions that flew straight past the onlookers. "We found her...like that..." Daniel said, his voice so quiet it was barely audible. Jack clenched his fists, "Those sick bastards!" He was shouting, his eyes clenched shut. Teal'c had reached towards him but he had left; Daniel wasn't surprised. "Will Major Carter survive Doctor Frasier?" She looked momentarily shocked by his bluntness but looked up, noticing for the first time the great despair in his eyes. "I...I don't know Teal'c." Teal'c bowed, but stood still. After an hour Janet's hurried actions had become slower, and the instructions had ceased, but the periodical trickle of medical staff into the infirmary revealed the situation. Jack walked down the corridor towards the infirmary and saw both Teal'c and Daniel sitting outside, no actions, just silence. Jack sighed before walking up to Daniel and handing him a styrofoam cup, Daniel nodded, but no words were spoken. Jack sat down opposite Teal'c and he too entered into the silence. They sat for nearly an hour before the door opened and the doctor appeared. She looked somehow smaller than usual, her small build emphasised by the fragility that had invaded her. "You can see her now." Teal'c nodded and entered first, followed by a hesitant Daniel and finally Jack. They all looked equally as shocked when they saw Sam. If Jack hadn't known better, he would have thought she was dead; he could tell by the expressions on Teal'c and Daniel's faces that their thoughts were of a similar nature. "Is she gonna be okay Janet?" Daniel asked, quietly but with surprising clarity. Janet sighed and motioned for them all to enter her office, they managed to tear their eyes from Sam, and followed her, as mourners follow a coffin. "Well, she's been through a lot...I'm still surprised she's still with us..." "Just cut the crap Doc, bottom line." Janet looked hurt by Jack's comment, and Daniel opened his mouth to say something but was stopped by Teal'cs hand on his shoulder. "I really wanted to wait till the briefing, but..." Janet switched, it was like the way you switch off a light, the light disappearing, you having to remember if it was even there. "She sustained multiple fractures to her right arm, her left shoulders was dislocated and had not been set properly, but I think Sam tried to..." She was hurting, the doctor front was falling away too quickly, so Daniel took her hand squeezing it softly. She smiled slightly and maintained her dignity, tugging lightly on her white coat. "She has a stab wound to her lower abdomen which wasn't too deep but an infection set in and that was our main concern, and a similar wound to her right upper thigh." Jack stood up, "They raped her didn't they Janet." Janet looked shocked, her shoulders hunched slightly, "You know I'm not at liberty to say." "Just tell me Janet!" He approached her, shouting, his face a deep burnt red and profound anger radiating from his eyes. Janet cowered away slightly, staring at the ground, "Confidentiality..." Jack didn't bother; he raised his fist and then left slamming the door behind him, the door creaking in protest. Teal'c stood slowly, "I have never before seen O'Neill so distressed." Daniel nodded, letting Janet leave the room and find sanctuary somewhere. Daniel then realized that there was nowhere.

04:46, 25/11/03

Teal'c had waited for several hours now, and he knew the volume of Jack's anger would have dissipated by now. He opened his eyes, leaving the deep kelnorem he had been under for several hours and blew the candles out he had lit before leaving his cell. The SGC was a strange place late at night. The lighting dulled slightly in an attempt to imitate the darkness of the outside world, and the corridors became deserted. Teal'c approached Jack's room slowly and knocked twice before pushing the door wide open. Jack cringed at the draft that entered his room, and looked up to see Teal'cs towered mass in the doorway. "Hey, just come on in why don't you!" He declared with a drunken slur to his words. Teal'c frowned and turned on the light switch. Jack was sat up against the headboard of his bed, a bottle of alcohol in one hand and a white piece of paper in the other. Teal'c closed the door, "This was an unwise course of action O'Neill." Jack smiled, and tilted his head, "Ya think?" Teal'c stood completely still, Jack stared at the piece of paper in his hand, running his hand over the words. "My resignation T." Teal'c frowned again, "Why do you wish to leave the service of the SGC O'Neill?" He asked, his tone solid. Jack smiled drunkenly, "I mean look at me T! I'm getting on and I can't protect my team anymore and besides! Look at all the positives! Fishing...fishing and the cabin..." Teal'c stepped forward, the light making him look somewhat menacing. "You are not to blame for what occurred to Major Carter. We could not have prevented her capture O'Neill." Jack took another swig from the bottle, "No one deserved that Teal'c! Jesus, no one! Especially her." "O'Neill, you have strong feelings for Major Carter, this is apparent to me, but I feel that as a fellow soldier and friend I must prevent the actions you wish to undertake." Jack laughed softly, "Strong feelings! God T, you are sooooo observant." "I will leave you now O'Neill, you must rethink the actions you wish to take." Teal'c bowed and left, closing the door behind him forcefully.

07:46, 25/11/03

Teal'c had been sat beside Sam's bedside for most of the night; he found the Tauri instruments that had been attached to Sam disturbing and apprehension was quickly infecting him, quicker than he would have thought. Any onlooker could not see beyond his stoic exterior, he knew that. Sometimes he too felt alone, lost, just as O'Neill had been when he had found him several hours earlier huddled on his bed, under the relentless grasp of alcohol. He caught motion in the corner of his eye and turned his head slightly, his expression becoming aggressive. "Hey T." O'Neill's frame stood in the doorway; he looked more sober than earlier, but he could smell the stench of alcohol carried in his breath. He walked over the where Teal'c was sitting, slouching slightly. "About earlier...." Teal'c nodded, his expression relaxing slightly, "Indeed O'Neill. I understand." Jack smiled sheepishly and sat down in one of the chairs surrounding Sam's bed. They were uncomfortable and surprisingly cold. "Any change?" Teal'c turned, nodding. "Have you indeed considered your actions further?" Jack sighed, the corners of his mouth twitching slightly. "It was all stupid Teal'c, can we just forget it ever happened?" Teal'c looked him straight in the eye and Jack recoiled slightly, "As you wish O'Neill. I will not speak of it again." Jack shifted in his chair, the material rubbing slightly, constricting.

08:12, 25/11/03

Janet was tired, she clawed at sleep, rubbing her eyes harshly with the back of her eyes and straightening her white coat. She walked into the infirmary, immediately noticing Teal'c and Jack's large frames hunched into the infirmary seating. "Greetings Doctor Frasier." Janet smiled tensely, grabbing the chart from the end of Sam's bed glancing over at her still form. Dark circles surrounded her eyes, and her face was creased slightly as though she were in pain, even in her unconscious state. She tore her eyes away, jotting down some random figures. "How long have you been here Teal'c...and the Colonel? I don't want any more of SG-1 in the infirmary." Jack arced his head, it let out a small crack, and he stared up at Janet. "It's okay Doc, we haven't been here that long." Janet didn't believe Jack for one minute, and she was discomforted by the raw smell of alcohol on his breath; she said nothing. "How is Major Carter's condition Doctor Frasier?" Teal'c questioned, looking at her expectantly. God, she could just curl up in one of the cots and fall asleep. "Well, she's made it through the night, the infection show signs of improvement, her fever is down. She should make a full recovery Teal'c." Teal'c nodded. Janet nodded in response and walked over to one of the nurses on duty, muttering something that was inaudible before slipping away, out of the infirmary.

08:32, 25/11/0

"Danny boy!" Jack declared, looking up at the barely conscious form of Daniel, who was grasping a cup of coffee as if several guerrilla fighters were out to get it. "Hey Jack...." He smiled sleepily, his expression darkening, "How is she?" Jack looked at Sam, she looked sad, that was the first thing that hit him. She looked tired, tired enough to let go he asked himself, but he shook away the thought, pushed it to the back of the mind, hating himself for thinking such a thing. He loved her, god, how he loved her. "Doctor Frasier has informed us that Major Carter should make a full recovery." Daniel looked down at Teal'c, smiling, "That's good." He took a swig of his coffee, rubbing his eyes softly, almost delicately.

14:03, 25/11/03

Shit, he was going to be late. He'd been doing nothing all morning and he couldn't get to the damned debriefing on time. He was almost there though, thank god. He ran up the steps, virtually diving for the door handle and pushed it, letting the door fall open. "Colonel" Hammond greeted, motioning for him to take a seat. Jack looked at him apologetically and Hammond could see in his eyes the apology he wouldn't say. Jack closed the door and took a seat, almost immediately beginning to fiddle with his fingers. "I know this is going to be difficult for you, but I think it's important that we get clear exactly what happened on PY2-6YX and the following events on PX8-45Y." Teal'c nodded, and Daniel smiled tensely. Daniel moved to speak but Jack threw him a look which stopped him in his tracks. "We've been though this before General." Hammond tensed, "As I remember Colonel, you weren't very forthcoming." Jack looked down at the table, he felt ashamed. "As you know General, it started on...." "...PY2-6YX" Daniel filled in, looked somewhat betrayed. Jack looked at him, thanking with his expression. "Wherever. Anyway, we came under enemy attack."

12:23, 13/11/03

"Daniel, get dialling!" Daniel stumbled towards the DHD, narrowly missing the onslaught of several staff blasts which burnt the earth, leaving a putrid odour in their wake. Daniel frowned, crouching beside the DHD and beginning to dial the gate. "Major, get out of there!" Jack was full on shouting but it seemed so quiet; it was as if the enemy, in some kind of sadistic game, was absorbing his voice. "I can't sir! I'm pinned down!" He heard several more rounds firing off; he could only just make out Sam about a hundred yards away. He turned to Teal'c, "Get Daniel out of here, we'll be right behind you." Teal'c looked torn, hesitating, "Go Teal'c!" Teal'c nodded slowly before jumping up and firing off several staff blasts and running off towards the DHD. Teal'c had looked at him with a look filled with despair; Jack was almost sure he'd never see him again. Sam was still firing off rounds, with most of the firefight concentrated on her position. Jack's position was useless; he couldn't see anything, he could hear everything however. He knew that leaving his position would be suicidal. Between him and Carter there was almost a hundred yards of open ground; he'd be killed, he knew it. He ran anyway. He didn't know what possessed him to do it, he laughed; he must be going insane, he'd knew it would happen eventually. He was almost there when he smelt burning flesh; he was sure he'd been hit but nothing hurt. He dove into the cover of Sam's position, smiling to himself, laughing at his insanity. "Sir...." He stopped laughing then, looking down at Sam. He reached down, touching her chest, repulsed by the warm, sticky feel between his fingers. "God Carter..." He wanted to hold her, how he wanted to hold her. He fired off several rounds instead knocking down several of the Jaffa homing in on them. He then grabbed her in his arms and waited several seconds before standing up and running back towards the gate. They're right; time does slow down when you know you're going to die. He could feel the slow trickle of blood through his clothes. God, please don't die, please don't die. Jack stumbled, slightly, taking cover behind a group of trees. "Sir, you've gotta go..." Jack shook his head, "No! No one gets left behind!" A staff blast hit the tree above his head; he could smell it burning. "Jack, go." Jack didn't know what surprised him more, her use of direction, or the use of his name. "Please." She pleaded with her eyes and pushed him away softly with her hands. Another staff blast, his senses were being bombarded, just a matter of time before he caved in. "Go!" He wanted to say so much, but he got just one look; it said it all though. Every moment of desire, every touch, every breath, every emotion. Jack detached himself, shooting to his feet and firing at the oncoming Jaffa, surprised by his accuracy. Then he ran, his legs were hurting but his heart hurt more. He reached the gate, almost crying throwing himself through, arms spread like an eagle, letting the gate take him.

14:04, 25/11/03

"I...I tried to save Carter. I made her position but she'd been hit in the chest by a staff blast." Hammond could hear the degradation in his voice as he tried to overcome the emotions. "She knew she was dying, I guess I knew it too. So I left...it was hopeless." No it wasn't, you could have done something more, couldn't you? Jack's thoughts screamed, deafening. "There was nothing more you could have done Colonel." Hammond nodded, noticing the overwhelming silence in the room. He straightened his shoulders and cleared his throat. "And then we received word from the Tokra about her appearance on PX8-45Y." Jack nodded, "Yeah, so you agreed to a rescue mission."

14:12, 24/11/03

"Well, this is nice" Jack said, sarcasm tainting every syllable. Teal'c raised his eyebrows in confusion and Daniel took in the scenery. "Let's go, it's in that direction." Jack waved his hand in the general direction and moved off, closely followed by an anxious looking Daniel.

14:32, 24/11/03

They got into the complex through one of the rear entrances. As the Tokra had suggested, it had little protection and they were able to take out the two Jaffa with stealth and ease. Jack slipped into the building first, feeling immediately the overwhelming anxiety that came with being in a Gou'ld complex. "Which way to the holding cells?" Jack asked, turning to Teal'c. Teal'c scanned the walls, and nodded to the right, "It is in that direction O'Neill." "Okay, let's move." Jack shifted into his Black Ops mode, he was trying not to think about everything that had happened, but it was so hard. As far as he had been concerned, Sam was dead until yesterday afternoon. He had not had time to mourn properly, and then they received word from the Tokra that Sam was being kept here in this facility. There was so much he could handle, then he would crack like glass on concrete, it was inevitable.

14:52, 24/11/03

"Shit! We have to get her out of here...now!" Jack approached her slowly, wanting to be near her, but not wanting to see her like this; it was a contradiction of the senses. "It's okay Carter, you'll be out of here soon...." Oh God, what have they done to her, he thought, touching her for the first time. He carefully removed the shackles that had restrained her, shyly glancing up at her face, gasping at the pain he saw in every feature, heard in every breath. He took her body in his arms carefully, suddenly overwhelmed by how fragile she had become, or maybe she had always been like that? Maybe he'd just never noticed, never been close enough to really notice. "Teal'c, cover my six. I don't think we made too much of an entrance..." Daniel frowned, "Errr Jack?" "For crying out loud Daniel, what is it?" Daniel pointed down the corridor and an unmistakable metallic thumping was carried in the air. "Lets go!"

14:05, 25/11/03

"We found Carter in one of the holding cells. She had obviously been...tortured. We retrieved her and then left. I don't think we caused too much of a disturbance; I'm not sure they really would have noticed we had been there until they noticed Sam was gone. It was surprisingly lightly guarded." Jack finished, his head falling slightly, his gaze falling. "I believe that a great proportion of Anubis' fleet is concentrated elsewhere." Hammond nodded at Teal'cs comment, looking thoughtful. He then turned to Janet who was sitting to his right, sleep trying to coerce her. "Doctor Frasier, if you could fill us in on Major Carter's condition." Janet looking up, blinking slowly, "Yes. Well, Major Carter suffered multiple injuries which I listed for SG-1 and which are listed in my report. We found an unknown substance in her blood works which I haven't mentioned before now. We found no need for concern, it isn't causing any problems and we don't see it to have any potential for complication. She should make a full recovery...she should wake up in the next few hours." Hammond frowned; they'd been here too many times, fearing the loss of a team member. It hurt him in some intangible way every time a team member was injured; it was a deep feeling.

16:21, 25/11/03

The infirmary was deadly quiet, unease crept through Janet's veins as she stood at the end of Sam's bed. The white bed linen lay crisp against her pale skin; she looked like she had died, and the infirmary felt like a mortuary. Janet shifted awkwardly and sat in the uncomfortable grey chair beside her bed. "Hey Sam." She sat there, completely still, her breath deafening, seeming to amplify and resonate in her chest. "Janet?" Voices, everywhere. God, she was so tired, she could sleep forever. "Janet?" Janet blinked slowly, trying to stem the hands that were crawling across her skin, pulling her into sleep. "Janet?" She heard it that time, barely a voice, closer to a whispered whimper. She sat up slowly to be greeted with Sam's empty blue eyes staring back at her. "Hey Sam." She smiled softly. Sam blinked slowly, swallowing loudly and pointing to the jug of water propped on her bedside cabinet. Janet carefully poured her a glass and helped her sit up before Sam greedily gulped it down. "Thanks." Janet smiled, "That's okay. How are you feeling?" Sam looked around the room drowsily and then turned back to Janet, "Oh, fine. What happened?" Jack walked in at that moment clutching a colourful assortment of flowers; Sam hadn't noticed. Janet had almost been forced to throw the guys out of the infirmary; that's friendship for you. "Sam!" Jack declared loudly, his voice bounding around the infirmary. Sam's head moved and she stared straight at him, her eyes unfocused. Her face changed, grew darker. She tensed, her shoulders slightly hunched, and then fear, intense fear swept across her face. "What the hell!? You're dead!" Jack had to swallow the nausea creeping up his throat; the hate and disgust in her voice directed at him chilled him. He was frozen, unmoving, was he even breathing anymore he thought? Janet put a hand on Sam's shoulder; she stayed, fixed in this death stare, one which Janet couldn't comprehend. "Sam, honey, what's wrong?" "Get him the hell away from me!" Janet looked at Jack; the flowers had fallen from his hands and fluttered slowly towards the ground, hitting the ground; they'd die soon now, without water. "Get out!" Jack left then. He wasn't quite running, more like a shock filled soldiers march, like a hurried coffin bearer.

16:23, 25/11/03

That stare, that hate filled, chilling stare. Why was all he could ask himself, why? Then it was her delicateness, her body in his arms, her strained breathe. He wanted to see her, so much, but he couldn't. He couldn't face that look on her face, that disgust in her eyes, so he sat, staring at the blank wall.

16:25, 25/11/03

Sam had calmed down now, her breathing becoming shallow and evening out. She could taste tears on her tongue; she hadn't noticed she'd been crying. "Sam, look at me." Sam turned slowly, grasping the blanket tightly between her frozen fingers. "God Janet. I thought it was over." Janet looked at her, confusion all over her face. "I thought he was dead Janet. I thought it was over." Sam stared to cry again, sobbing. Janet took Sam in her arms until she'd calmed down then she had pulled the sheet over her and Sam had quickly succumbed to the darkness and sanctuary of sleep. Restless be it may.

17:10, 25/11/03

"Colonel? Can I come in please?" There was no reply, in fact no sound was coming from inside so she opened the door slowly, afraid of what she might find. She couldn't see anything at first, it was so dark. Only small amounts of light seeped in slowly, but eventually she could make out the Colonel's still form backed against the far wall. "I think you need to talk about this Colonel" She stated, softly, waiting eagerly for a response, one that never came. "I think she's confused. From the account you gave me she has no reason to think you are dead." "Did you see the way she looked at me, that hate...all that hate. All that disgust." Janet leant against the doorframe, folding her arms. "She was very upset Colonel. We'll wait till tomorrow and we'll find out what this is all about." "Tomorrow" Jack echoed pointlessly.

09:58, 26/11/03

Janet walked into the infirmary, and noticed Sam stir slightly. "Janet?" Janet smiled slightly, sitting beside Sam. "Hey, how are you feeling this morning?" Sam shrugged, "Achy I guess." Janet looked down fiddling with her fingers and folded her arms in order to prevent her from doing so. "I think we need to talk about what happened yesterday Sam." Sam looked confused, but slowly realisation overcame her. "The Colonel." Janet nodded, leaning forward in her chair. Then Sam started to panic, "Janet, he can't just walk around, he'll kill everyone...he's a Goa'uld!" Janet looked astonished, "The Colonel a Gou'ld? Sam, you know that's not true." "When we came back from PY2-6YX, he started acting...out of character..." "...You never came back from PY2-6YX Sam." Sam opened her mouth to continue, then looked at Janet through a veil of confusion. "What?" She asked, her forehead creasing, blinking quickly. "Sam, do you remember what happened?" Sam looked up from the bed at Janet, "Of course I do Janet! We were under attack; we made it back through the gate but by the skin of our teeth. Then the Colonel started to act really strangely." Janet knew it was impossible, Sam had never returned from that mission. She had been hit by a staff blast and Jack had been forced to leave her. However,she bought into Sam's fallacy, needing to know how deep it went, how deep the wound was. "How did he act strangely?" Sam sighed, "Well, at first it was small things like he started to call me Sam. Then when we were in the locker room he tried...he tried to kill me, he nearly did. I was getting some stuff from my locker and he came up behind me, I didn't hear him. He slammed me into the locker, and then he turned me around and hit me. God, he just kept hitting me, over and over and over...I managed to push him back. He...he hit his head on the bench. He must have hit it really hard because he fell then, his head just kept bleeding. I just lay there, I don't think I could move." Janet looked at Sam, silent tears had stained her cheeks and her eyes were blood shot and nervous, darting around the infirmary. "When I came to they said you told me he was dead, he suffered major head trauma. Then they did the post mortem and found that he had been infected by a Gou'ld. That was months ago though..." Janet sighed looking down, how was she going to fix this? "Why did you lie to me Janet?" Sam asked, standing up and backing away slowly. Janet stood up, slowly so as not to startle Sam. "Honey, I never lied to you." Sam backed into one of the equipment trolleys, metal equipment fell to the ground sending a metallic clunk around the infirmary. "Yes you did! You told me he was dead! You lied!" Sam was screaming now. The world had started to spin for her, shapes merging, everything becoming threatening. Teal'c entered the infirmary clutching a tray stacked with an assortment of jello. He saw Janet's fear filled expression and saw Sam swaying slightly. She was starting to fall, the ground rushing up to greet her but Teal'c grabbed her lowering her slowly to the ground and into unconsciousness. __________________________________________________________________________

Part 2 17:06, 26/11/03

Breathing, heavy struggled breathing. That's the first thing she heard, then she realised it was her. Sam opened her eyes, slowly, her eyes like slits, light flooding in and burning her eyes like when you look at the sun for too long. She swallowed hard, opening her eyes completely taking in her surroundings. A lady was sat beside her bed, a tall, ethereal lady, dressed in black, her greying hair pulled into a tight bun. "Emily", her voice crackled like an old radio, "what's going on? I don't understand!" Sam squeezed her eyes shut, trying to comprehend what was going on. "Sam, honey, can you hear me?" Sam opened her eyes quickly, blinking lazily. Her forehead creased, "Where's Emily?" Janet looked confused, "Sam...who's Emily?" Her voice was cautious, sympathetic almost. "What do you mean who's Emily? She was called in to help Daniel with his re...what is this?" Janet, rubbed her forehead, rotating her shoulders, "Sam, there's no Emily here." "She was right there Janet!" Sam pointed angrily; her syllables were marked with a concentrated rage. Janet sighed, frustrated, "Try to rest for a bit, okay?" "Rest? This is driving me crazy Janet!" "Sam!" The doctor declared with authority. Sam stared at her for a while, her eyes like intense whirlpools of fire. Then she tore her gaze away and rolled over, away from her, away from everything that was wrong.

18:00, 26/11/03

Janet sat quietly, watching the door as it swung open and SG-1 minus Sam entered. She noticed Jack's hunched shoulders and knew that of all of them, this was the most difficult for him. He looked sad, intolerable pain in his eyes that was both fixating and curious. Janet turned away and Hammond cleared his throat. "Sorry to call a meeting so late, but Doctor Frasier has informed me that's there is a very important issue which she needs to discuss with us." General Hammond turned to the small doctor. The anticipation in the room was choking; had she not been used to it, she was sure she would have trembled. "I don't normally discuss medical matters with a patients colleagues, but I feel that it would benefit Sa...Major Carter in this case." She paused, bringing her hand to her face, sweeping away a stray bit of hair. "She has been exhibiting advanced stages of delirium. She is convinced on Colonel O'Neill's status as a Goa'uld, and earlier she was insistent that there was a lady in the infirmary who she referred to as Emily." Janet glanced at the people gathered round the briefing room table, and her gaze fixed on Jack; it became almost static. "I feel the obligation to refer her to Doctor Mackenzie for her behaviour." Jack looked up then, quietly muttering something. Daniel leaned forward, before looking down sadly at the table, "Is there nothing else we can do?" Janet shook her head, looking him square in the face, "No Daniel." "I think it would be wise if O'Neill did not see Major Carter at this time. She had a most pained reaction to the knowledge of his presence" Teal'c said, not looking over to see Jack's face cloud over in mental anguish. "Yes son. Dismissed."

Jack was the first to leave, he bounded straight for the elevator and didn't regain his steadiness until he stepped outside and the cold, damp air hit him. He shivered slightly, before finding a private spot and sitting down cringing as his knee sent a bolt of pain up his knee. "Damned thing!" He shouted, cringing. "Jack." Jack turned around, turning back when he saw Daniel's figure illuminated by the complexes lighting. Daniel paused slightly, feeling uninvited, before moving forward and sitting down beside Jack. "Daniel, can you just give me some space..." His tone was cold, and Daniel shivered despite himself. "Look Jack, you haven't done anything wrong, it's just...." Jack turned to Daniel, "...I know all this Daniel, okay." He looked back down at the ground. Daniel got up, surrendering, adjusting his glasses, "Then why are you trying to convince yourself Jack?"

13:00, 27/11/03

"I can't help you if you don't tell me what's wrong." Sam sat motionless, her face stoic, a blank canvas. She ignored his, glancing over at the cheap metal bookcase, squeezed into one corner of the room. The shelves were lined with books on various medical sciences, most psychology, and Sam pawed over the titles in her mind. Mackenzie's patience was diminishing and he scrapped a hand through his short brown hair, "Talk me through today Samantha." Sam stared at him, a hard glare in her eyes before she brought her hands up from her lap and rested them on the sides of the chair. She felt a strange comfort in the solidity of the object. "I saw Gregory today" Sam said softly, looking up at Mackenzie. Mackenzie looked at her confused, "And who is Gregory?" Sam shifted uncomfortably in her chair, "Captain Gregory Watson. He was drafted in after Colonel O'Neill...he was a replacement for him." Mackenzie scribbled down notes onto a notepad with a black fountain pen. "Tell me about Gregory."

12:07, Unknown

Gregory jogged lazily down the steps onto the grainy sand, kicking at it playfully, letting it be grabbed by the light crosswind. Sam followed him, pausing at the bottom of the steps, and looking over at Gregory. He was fascinating to look at - a delicate build with short black hair and intelligent green eyes. His features were dark and chiselled like someone had taken sandpaper to his skin. "Ready Gregory?" She asked, adjusting her sunglasses. He turned and smiled and walked slowly, as Sam fell in step beside him. It felt right.

13:03, 27/11/03

"Doctor Frasier has informed me that you believe Colonel O'Neill to be a Goa'uld" Mackenzie stated frankly. Sam just nodded, slowly, almost numbly. He continued, "She performed various tests on him and cannot find any indication that he is a Goa'uld." He dug deeper, "Surely you or Teal'c would have felt his presence if he were?" Sam stiffened, Oh god. What was happening to her? "Tell me about what led you to believe that Colonel O'Neill had been infected?" Sam watched as a small piece of paper fluttered to the ground.

11:03, Unknown

Sam sighed, watching several sheets of paper flutter towards the floor, "Damn it." She looked down but then felt her head connect with the locker before a small trail of blood found her eyes. Sam turned around to be greeted by a blackened figure; he threw another punch her way. It impacted and she heard her body protest and let out a small crack. She didn't bother to stifle the moan that escaped her lips and she leant back into the locker, knowing it was the only object keeping her upright. They just kept coming, one after another, relentlessly. Then he stopped and she sunk slightly, trying to keep her eyes focused; he approached her slowly, stroking her hair psychotically. "You've been a naughty girl Carter." She recognised the voice straight away, she felt the bile in her throat rise and fought hard to keep it down. "Sir?" He laughed, not like any laugh she'd heard escape his lips. She swallowed hard before seizing the only chance she had and kicked him hard in the chest. It happened in slow motion, he stumbled backwards, and she heard his head connect with the bench then saw him fall to the ground blood beginning to pool around his head. "Oh God!" she sighed, sliding down the locker until she was horizontal, lying, motionless on the floor. Frozen.

13:06, 27/11/03

"Oh God!" Sam stood up, her mind fluttering. "Samantha, you are back. We're in my office, Colonel O'Neill has gone." Sam stared at him, not registering. "Major Samantha Carter?" Sam snapped out of it, closing her eyes and looking down, "I'm sorry." Mackenzie leant back into his chair, "You have nothing to apologise for. I think we'd better leave it there for today. I'll call Doctor Frasier to collect you." Sam didn't hear, she just saw a trail of blood find her eye.

01:11, 28/11/03

"She's crashing!" Janet shouted, staring at the monitor in disbelief. "Get the crash cart over hear now, start CPR!" Two of the nurses looking washed out began to contort Sam's chest, before sending life saving oxygen down into her lungs. "Charging at 100! Clear!" Janet pressed the cold paddles against Sam's chest, being pushed backwards as the electric charge flowed through Sam's body. "We have a rhythm." Janet slumped slightly, rubbing her eyes. She had been in deep slumber when they'd called her; Sam's vitals were odd and they were worried. She had rushed in, only to find Sam collapsing. "If there's any change, I want to know about it." The nurses nodded. Janet left the sterility of the infirmary, entering her office and collapsing in a chair. She wanted to cry; she couldn't remember the last time she had wanted to cry over a patient. That's what you spent seven years in medical school learning; detach yourself. She fingered her in tray, concentrating on a large brown envelope. She pulled it out and looked at the neatly typed label in the top right hand corner. "S. Carter blood work." Janet turned it over opening it and pulling out the contents. A concise blood work report floated out, and Janet pawed over the figures. "What?" She exclaimed out loud, letting her finger rest on a portion of the figures.

06:20, 28/11/03

They weren't moving. She was sure they were just sitting there, staring back at her with little curious black eyes. But they were cells. "God Janet!" She muttered, arching her neck slowly like a cat. Then it happened; if she had blinked she would have missed it. Slowly, the cells ambushed a trail of red blood cells, surrounding them, like they had planned it, like it had been pre-ordained. Then the sea of black parted and where the red blood cells had been was blackness, an extension of the sea of black. Janet blinked, squinting, but they were static again, unmoving. They were multiplying.

06:40, 28/11/03

Twenty minutes later it happened again; it was an exponential growth, reducing Sam's blood to a sea of black. A sea she couldn't bar, didn't understand. Janet felt hopeless, a stranger in a group of friends, the lost piece in a jigsaw puzzle. She jotted down some stats and headed up to Hammonds office, the stairs feeling like mountains. She knew she shouldn't feel like this. Janet rapped her hand against the door softly, waiting for the Hammonds approval. She heard a muted response and pushed the cold door handle open and walked it, sitting herself on the black chair opposite Hammonds, the desk parting them. Her gaze fell on his red phone; so many decisions had tumbled through its mouthpiece. "Doctor Frasier." Janet smiled tensely, carefully placing the folder on his desk, "There's been a development in Major Carter's condition." Hammond nodded precisely, directing her to continue. "Well as you are aware she developed a irregular rhythm this morning and we had to resuscitate her." Hammond, cocked his head slightly, "Have there been complications?" Janet shook her head, slowly, definitely. "Not complications, more consequences. I couldn't understand why she crashed so I examined some of her blood. What I found was..." God where had the words gone? "...Concerning. As you are aware red blood cells are crucial in many bodily functions such as carrying oxygen. I found what I could only describe as 'black cells'. They seem to be converting the red blood cells to these 'black cells'." "Do you believe this to be connected to the Major's delirium?" Hammond asked, his voice tighter, tenser. "At this point, I can't really be certain of anything. At an educated guess, I believe this substance was introduced into her body to create the delirium. I believe that it was designed to multiply but instead is using available resources, Major Carter's blood cells." Hammond could feel his chest tighten, "Doctor, what's the bottom line?" Janet swallowed, "If I don't succeed in finding a way to destroy these 'black cells' and cease their conversions...Sam will die."

08:40, 28/11/03

Jack stormed through the corridors of the SGC not caring when an SF who was emerging from a storage room stumbled backwards into the wall. Why had he not been told? God, she could have died. She nearly did. He entered the infirmary, finding it empty apart from Sam's sleeping form; he stood for several moments, his temper petering, finding comfort in the rise and lower of her chest. Suddenly, like he'd snapped, he turned around and marched into Janet's office, his tanned skin now a beetroot colour. "Why the hell wasn't I notified of Carter's turn?" He was shouting, a military shout where the voice seems to be backed up by some unknown entity; it made Janet's skin crawl. She stood up quickly, walking over to the door and shutting it, before turning to Jack; her face morphed swiftly into a similar colour. "I believe you have no right to march into my infirmary and demand anything of me!" She folded her arms, standing upright, her eyes narrowed. Jack faltered; she had never seen that before. One second he was an army officer, next he was the man who'd lost a child. He slumped into one of the grey chairs his eyes darting around the room, searching for something he knew he wouldn't find there. "God, I'm sorry Janet." She was taken aback by the use of her forename and she uncrossed her arms, her face softening and sat in the identical grey chair facing his. "You know you couldn't have been here anyway Colonel, I should have you thrown out of the infirmary." Jack looked at her, a deep sorrow flashed across his eyes and he looked down, concentrating now on the floor. "I was out of line Doc." Janet's lip wavered, "I know." Jack looked up at her, sitting upright in a position he obviously learnt in some military school. "How is she, I mean really?" Janet sighed, "She's sick Colonel."

08:50, 28/11/03

The same bloody room. It felt more like a box of memories than a room. "Take a seat Teal'c." Jack had been sitting in the same position for ten minutes and if he was honest, his neck was protesting. He wanted to move, but it was like his brain refused to process the message; he thought it must be the fear and anticipation mixed into a dire cocktail. "I'm afraid that this briefing has been called under unhappy circumstances." Hammond looked at Janet, "Please Doctor." Janet closed the file in front of her; it sent a small draft outwards which seem to hit her with such force it took her breath away. "As you may or may not now be aware of is that Major Carter developed an irregular rhythm early this morning and we had to resuscitate her." Daniel looked at her grimly; worry aging his youthful face. "She stabilised but this event is not what concerned me. I took a blood test and was examining the blood when I discovered an anomaly. In the blood sample I took I discovered what I could only describe as 'black cells'. They are basically converting Major Carter's red blood cells into their own. I've never before encountered anything like it." Janet stopped, her gaze drifting towards Jack. He looked like a man who had just buried his childhood dog. "I took further samples this morning, and they are still present and in larger numbers. I have no idea whether this is connected with Major Carter's delirium or not, but at this stage I have no idea how to treat this. I just know that if we don't do something, it's going to get progressively worse." Hammond knew she had finished by the sadness that captured her features. He cleared his throat, noticing only then how dry it had become, "We contacted the Tokra and hope to be hearing from them in due course. Teal'c, are you aware of any technology that the Gou'ld hold which could have this effect?" Daniel looked hopefully, Jack looked defeated. "I am not General Hammond." "Is she going to die?" The question shocked them all, and they all turned to Jack almost in unison, a mix of sorrow and understanding clouding over their expressions. Daniel turned to face Jack, "I'm sure we'll find something Jack, we always do." Jack tried to hide his despair, but it was obvious. "If we don't Janet, will she die?" "Yes Colonel."

16:04, Unknown

Sam checked her appearance briefly in the wing mirror of her car before opening the door and tumbling out. "Shit!" she cursed under her breath, checking her watch again and noting that she was now thirty-three minutes late. She could smell the faint scent of burning charcoal and a wispy line of darkness could be seem spiralling up into sky. Two children came running towards her; the girl had long blond hair, tied in a neat plait that bounced as she moved and decorated with a thin red ribbon. She was being chased by a younger boy of similar appearance, except the sun had darkened his distinguishing freckles. She recognised them immediately as Hammond's grandchildren from the collection of photos scattered on his desk. For a moment, she watched them, just admiring the curiosity of a child. She wanted children; she'd tried to repress the feeling for so many years, but it had lay dormant and now it had emerged. "Sam!" Sam spun around to be greeted by Greg's beaming smile, one that radiated happiness. "Greg." Sam smiled. "Great day for it isn't it" Greg stated pointing up to the sky with one hand, which was holding a beer within it. Sam looked up, it was. The sky was a perfect crystal blue, a single streak of white across it from an aeroplane trail. It was the kind of site you'd see on a postcard. "Yeah, lovely." Greg followed her gaze for a second before looking away at Hammond grandchildren who were now engaged in some kind of tag. "Great kids." Sam tore her gaze away from the postcard sky and stared at him, a pang of hurt went through her though Greg didn't notice. She forced a smile hoping he would accept it; he did. Then it hit her, Greg didn't know her at all; the thought seemed to open up the wound that had only just healed after her grieving for Jack, and she sniffed slightly. Greg was unaware taking a swig from his beer bottle, "Anyway come on through, I think you're the last to arrive." Sam frowned, "Yeah, I'm so sorry about that. I left late and hit some traffic." Greg stopped walking, "Well, if it's any consolation, I kept a couple of beers back for you?!" Sam couldn't help but smile, even though inside her heart was breaking.

22:46, 28/11/03

"Jack..." The visitor froze at the tiny word, sitting frozen, their breathing becoming purposefully shallow. "Jack..." Sam had begun to breath deeper, her body contorting beneath the covers. The visitor leant forward placing a hand on her forehead; she tensed and stopped moving abruptly, her breathing stopping for a moment before steadying out, like a crumpled leaf that had found the wind. The visitor removed their hand, quietly withdrawing from the infirmary, leaving no sign that they had ever been.

23:17, 28/11/03

Janet tapped the door lightly not bothering to wait for a response before entering the small room; it was dark, the only light being emitted by a small desk lamp. Janet edged forward, her hand still on the handle, and scanned the room. This time she noticed Jack's still frame propped behind his desk, his hands resting on the various papers littered across it. "Colonel." He didn't move at first, but slowly he turned, unsurprised, the vibe of imprudence sent shivers down her spine. "Doc." Unmistakable resign, had he given up already? "We need to talk Colonel." He nodded slowly, turning his chair till he was facing Janet completely. They were motionless for a moment, then Jack leant back in his chair. "So Doc, what's up?" Janet crossed her arms. "I think it's time you saw Major Carter." Jack felt confused, leaning forward in his chair slightly. "Carter will be asleep..." Janet arched her eyebrow and Jack sighed, "I don't want to hurt her." Janet frowned, "Sam doesn't sleep." Janet moved towards the door, pausing, an invitation for him to follow. Indecisively he did.

23:19, 28/11/03

Janet pushed open the door, holding it ajar for a moment. Jack hesitated, "I don't think this is a good idea." Janet shook her head slowly, and waited silently for him to enter, before letting the door swing lightly on its hinges, a terminally ill arc. The lights in the infirmary were darker than those outside, and his eyes neglected him for a second. He approached her bed slowly, until he was close enough to hear her short, struggled breaths. She turned towards him slowly, her eyes alert and fear spread through them when she saw him standing motionless beside her bed. She sat up, climbing out of the bed so that it stood between them like a barrier. "What are you doing here!?" She was upset though he thought she'd never cry. Jack stood still, not saying a word. "I killed you!" Jack still didn't move, though he felt like he was being dragged down, dethroned. "This can't be real...this is in my head!" Sam's eyes were darting madly, then they suddenly fixed on him. Cautiously she approached him and Jack could see tiny sprinkles of tears on her cheeks. "Sam." She knew immediately who he was. Unbarred tears fell down her cheeks and she vainly tried to wipe them away, then without warning her grief morphed into anger; Jack had never seen such a transformation, he shuddered. She pounced on him, hitting his chests with clenched fists, not bothering to stem the tears that kept coming. "I killed you!" She said it over and over again like a stuck record, her actions becoming gradually slower until Jack took her wrists lightly in his hands. "Sam, don't do this." Sam looked up at him, "You left me." Jack could feel his eyes blur. Sam looked up at him, "I'm sorry, I'm so sorry." He took her in his arms and stroked her hair lightly, "What's happening to me Jack?" And so he held her until her eyes could shed no more tears.

00:24, 29/11/03

She opened her eyes, shocked at the man sitting beside her bed, but slowly the memories were restored and realisation seeped into her mind. "I need to know happened, sir." The shell of Sam had gone now, and the military veil had returned. She looked tired, her eyes bordered by grey, and her skin too pale. "Carter, I think you know enough. I don't think it would help..." "Sir." Her voice was weak. Jack rubbed his eyes, and lowered his head. "We gated to PY2-6YX and came under heavy attack...you got hit by a staff blast. We both knew...you made me go. We received word from the Tokra that you were in one of Anubis' facilities. We rescued you...you were in pretty bad shape." "You thought I was going to die?" Sam asked, knowing the answer; Jack nodded. "When you woke up you had this whole reality of events imprinted in your mind, you were sure they were true." Sam lowered her head, "They're there but, there was always this niggling doubt in the back of my mind. I still see them...those people. It's just like something inside me is broken. When you came in earlier I didn't feel a Goa'uld presence." Jack knew this was hard for her; he could see it in her eyes, sensed it cascading off her being. "I think I panicked before...the memories, they're just so vivid. It's hard to believe they're not real. I need some time sir." Jack nodded, "We're real Carter, okay?"

09:18, 29/11/03

Janet looked up as Teal'cs broad form entered her office; she smiled delicately. "Did it work as we had hoped Doctor Frasier?" Janet smiled, "Yes Teal'c. How did you know?" Teal'c bowed, "I was at Major Carter's beside when I heard her call out for O'Neill. I felt that it was time." Janet smiled, a proper smile, the ones you give out at birthday parties.

16:27, Unknown

"Here" Greg exclaimed handing her a bottle of beer. Sam half-smiled, "Thanks. Nice place you have here." Sam looked around once more. It was a large garden bordered by various scrubs, clawing at the fence, with a huge lawn spread out before her, and a large willow tree standing at the bottom looking embarrassed. She could here the television set mumble from inside the house and instinctively turned. Greg smiled, "Hockey, big match. The guys had to put it on...I'm not a big fan myself." Sam dropped her beer bottle, it tumbled towards the ground, fracturing on the stone. She stood frozen, before she looked down at the ground, "Oh for crying out loud...sorry." Greg saw her dismay and tried to make light of the situation, "If you wanted another one you could have asked." Sam frowned, kneeling down to pick up the larger pieces. Greg knelt down beside her, "Sam, it's okay. I'll take care of it." He looked at her and Sam nodded, muttering her apologies once more.

12:38, 29/11/03

"Unauthorised off-world activation!" The speakers shouted out their message. The iris closed swiftly, gripping to the gate, not letting anyone intrude. Respecting it's own authority. "We're receiving a code...it's the Tokra. Open the iris!" The iris spun open and moments later two figures emerged, slowly walking down the ramp, their footsteps sending out a metallic echo. Hammond entered the gate room, reaching the bottom of the ramp as they did. The Tokra bowed, "George Hammond." George smiled tensely, "Could Jacob not make it?" The Tokra frowned and shook his head, "He cannot be extracted at this point." Hammond tried to show a level of understanding on his features; he failed. "If you care to follow me we can explain why we contacted you."

12:56, 29/11/03

Once all required persons were gathered around the briefing room table, Hammond leant forward, his elbows resting on the large table which stood, dominating the briefing room. "One of our officers, Major Samantha Carter was captured recently, and thanks to Tokra information we were able to launch a successful rescue information." Hammond looked at the Tokra; one of the Tokra lowered their heads and then looked up once more. "Are these events related to our being called here?" The tone was much lower, and had the harsh clang of the symbiotes speech. Hammond frowned, motioning to Janet to continue. "Major Carter entered into a state of delirium, she mentioned several characters who she believed to exist and she believed one of our officers to be a Goa'uld which is not possible." The Tokra's eyes narrowed in curiosity, "Does she remain in this condition?" Janet shook her head, "No. We have managed to form the realisation that the events she experienced were not real. She is finding it hard to cope with." The Tokra remained passive, "We were informed of a black substance discovered in her blood." Janet paused momentarily, "That is correct, it's concerns me." Janet took the remote which lay in front of her and pointed it at the screen on the far sidewall of the briefing room. I discovered these cells in a routine blood test I took...they seem to be converting Major Carter's blood cells into there own kind." The Tokra turned to the other and they muttered for almost a minute before they turned back to their awaiting audience. "We have an operative based on a ship belonging to Lord Honelrt." Jack smirked, "He new?" The Tokra turned to Jack with distaste for his sense of humour. "Yes, he is rapidly rising in power and we fear he may pose a large threat in the future. He has developed new methods of torture and withdrawing information. Our operative has informed us of a substance he helped to administer to one of Lord Honelrt's Jaffa. He informed us that it allowed Honelrt to dictate the memories of the Jaffa, however he has no detailed knowledge as to how it functions." Daniel felt tense; he was sure that you could have cut the air with a knife and then dissected it. Jack looked sad, but deep sadness. This wasn't helping him. "He informed us of a machine, much like a sarcophagus which when the Jaffa was placed inside the chamber, removed the memories. The conversion of Major Carter's red blood cells appears to be a side effect. I am unsure as to whether it will cure her condition fully." That's exactly what Janet didn't want to here. Why was it at the times she needed her most, she couldn't help. She had left her alone in her own despair. "But we found her in one of Aunubis' facilities." Daniel stated, confused. "Lord Honelrt has offered samples of his technologies to many of the more superior system Lords in order to gain their trust and acceptance." Hammond coughed, "Do you know the location of the machine?" "Yes, it is aboard Honelrt's prime ship which is currently orbiting the planet Ioshie. We have the coordinates; it would be a case of boarding a cargo vessel and entering the ship. You would escape by the same method." Teal'c cocked his head slightly, "Would security not pose a large potential risk?" The Tokra smiled, "He is arrogant. He believes that he does not require large amounts of protection; the ship is relatively unguarded." "That's Gou'ld arrogance for you." Jack muttered under his breath although it was audible to everyone in the room. "Would he not detect the presence of the cargo ship?" Teal'c asked, mentally accessing the stability of the scheme. The Tokra glanced over at Teal'c, "He has not fully developed his onboard sensors. You can utilise an isotope we have developed to make your presence unknown to the onboard sensors. Honelrt's arrogance can be exploited; he did not feel protection to be important. He has concentrated on his weaponry which is far superior to anything we have encountered before." Hammond reluctantly smiled, "Thank you for your help." The Tokra stood and followed Hammond out of the room, their pace hurried like they were missing some life-altering event.

13:09, 30/11/03

Daniel stood several metres from Sam's bed, watching her face crease in pain at regular intervals. Janet approached him slowly, pausing to his right and stuffing her hands in her pockets. "How is she Janet?" Janet looked sad, "Ill Daniel." "She looks in pain." Janet nodded, "She dreaming, she doesn't know what to believe, her mind is in turmoil." She looked over at Daniel who was cringing, his hand coming up to adjust his glasses. He opened his mouth to speak but the invasive blare of the base sirens penetrated his thoughts.

21:39, Unknown

It was dark now and the garden was littered with small paper lanterns. Most of the guests had disappeared but some remained, whispering in husky tones like they were revealing childhood secrets. "Hey Sam." Sam looked up, seeing Greg's outline hovering above her chair. "Mind if I sit down?" Sam leant back in her chair, pulling a hand through her hair, "Yeah sure." Greg picked a chair off the lawn which had fallen earlier when the children had been playing. "Nice night isn't it." Sam smiled slightly, "Yeah." She turned to face him noting the way the light bounced off his features. "Look, I'm sorry about earlier, I don't know what came over me..." She tailed off, looking at her hands and mumbling to herself. Greg leant back in the plastic garden chair, looking down the lawn. "You miss him." Sam's head snapped up but Greg didn't move. She stared at him for several moments, opening her mouth on several occasions to speak but deciding against it, before looking down once again. "I used to know this girl when I'd just stared out in the army. I'd see her sometimes on the base but I could never speak to her." Greg sighed slightly, rubbing his forehead, "On one particular assignment we came under heavy fire, my best friend got shot; we just made it out but it was close. I vowed to myself that the next time I saw her I'd march up to her and tell her who I was." Sam smiled at the thought, but shivered slightly in the cool summer breeze. Greg leant forward, his hands clasped together. "I never saw her again though. She was killed in action on a routine mission. Her name was Charlotte." Sam shivered again, wrapping her arms around herself, "I'm sorry." Greg turned around, looking at Sam, tracing her features mentally. "I think about her sometimes and think what if. I regret never telling her how I felt, waiting too long." Sam couldn't dam the single tear that fell down her cheek, falling onto her hand. She rubbed it away, resting her cheek on her hand, "So do I."

13:11, 30/11/03

The gate rippled and a lone figure exited, walking quickly and defiantly down the ramp, his footsteps heavy. It was Jacob. The gate dispersed and Hammond approached him, a sense of unease overwhelming him. He hated the dire circumstances that were surrounding him, but he forced a smile. "Jacob." Jacob smiled, "George." Then he tensed, "So, I heard this fiasco has something to do with Sam." Awkwardness infected Hammond and he glanced down if only for a moment. "Yes Jacob. If you would follow me, I'll explain everything."

13:33, 30/11/03

"I need to see her." It was a statement; it was definite. Hammond nodded, "We were planning on launching the rescue mission later today, I take it you would like to be involved." Jacob nodded slowly, Hammond stood up, motioning for Jacob to follow him. "She'll be fine Jacob, Sam's a fighter."

13:36, 30/11/03

Hammond stopped at the door, going no further, like there was an invisible barrier stopping him. Jacob nodded and pushed open the infirmary door, cringing at the coldness of the metal plate screwed to it. Janet looked up seeing Jacob's slightly hunched figure; she tried to look positive but she faltered slightly and sadness crept into her expression. "Jacob, you have to understand that she's very weak. All the complications are making it hard for her to bear." "I understand Janet...can we just have a few moments." Janet gazed over to the door, which was still arcing slightly. "Of course Jacob." Jacob didn't watch Janet leave; his eyes were fixed on Sam's figure hidden beneath the veil of white. He walked over to her bed, sitting down on the hard, uncomfortable grey chair beside it and looked up at her. God she was beautiful. He flicked a stray blond hair from her eyes and took her hand; it was so cold. She looked ill though; her skin an almost flouresant colour and her face tired with moisture clinging to it like snow on a mountain. She stirred and her forehead creased slightly as she opened her eyes; Jacob was shocked at the loss of life in them. "Sammie." Sam's forehead creased again and she blinked slowly. "Dad." Jacob smiled, "You're gonna be fine Sammie. I guess they've told you everything...I'm coming with you." Sam opened her mouth to protest but he placed a single finger over her mouth and she closed it again, breathing harder now. "Sammie, you're my daughter. No one could do anything to stop me." Jacob thought she smiled, or had wanted to, but it was almost like it had been grabbed by some jealous creature, screwed up and stamped on.

Part 3 19:36, 30/11/03

"Sneak on board, knock out a few Jaffa, use the machine, blow up the ship and get out." Daniel cringed, "Are you sure this is gonna work Jack?" Jack nodded, "Have a little faith Daniel." "We have used this strategic plan once before and it was successful" Teal'c added, looked rather self-satisfied. Jack was sitting on the far side of the ship beside Sam, who was now in his lap having grabbed out for him during her restlessness, and so she had stayed. He looked down at her; if you looked hard enough he was sure you could see her life dissipating. Jacob entered the cargo hold, glancing over at Sam's sleeping form and frowned. The aura of vulnerability she gave out was frightening. He swallowed hard, "We are about to arrive." Jack looked up, "About bloody time." He lowered Sam's head carefully and looked at her once more trying to convince himself that she'd be alright. He walked forwards, out of the cargo hold closely followed by Daniel, into the navigation area. "Oh my god!" Daniel exclaimed, staring out of the window in disbelief. The ship was immense; similar in design to the conventional Goa'uld vessel but much larger and an extra section much like an onyx was attached to it on all four sides, rotating slowly. It was as though the object was challenging space itself.

19:38, 30/11/03

Jack clung to Sam's body, as though she were a box of diamonds. He stalked the corridors silently in Jacobs shadow, his body tense, and his eyes drifting down to Sam's barely conscious form. She looked like she was out of phase, her skin pale, and her eyes hollow and dead even now. Jacob stopped walking abruptly and swung into the shadows motioning for the followers to do the same. The sharp metallic thud of Jaffa grated by them and then the eerie stillness of the ship was resumed. Jacob turned around, now grasping a zat gun anxiously. "Teal'c and Daniel, you need you to set the explosives. I've informed Teal'c of where to set them." Teal'c nodded, and Daniel raised his eyebrows worriedly. "We'll get to the chamber and locate the device." Teal'c looked over at Jack, placing a single steady hand on his shoulder, "Please make sure Major Carter returns safely." Jack was awestruck by the sudden and unanticipated sentiment of the man. "I will Teal'c." Teal'c nodded before slowly disappearing along with Daniel as though the ship had consumed them. Jacob looked worried suddenly, looking down at Sam, before glancing at Jack. He didn't say anything but Jack knew he didn't have to. His only daughter was dying right before his eyes, god he knew the way it felt, the emptiness that had been bored in his mind after Charlie.

19:42, 30/11/03

Jacob crept forward following the sharp corridors of the ship. A door came into view and instead of turning off he approached it slowly pressing several buttons on the keypad beside it before it hissed open. "Sweet." Jacob motioned for him to enter, checking the corridor once more before he pressed several keys and it closed. Jack was taken aback at the dcor; it was a sea of gold with Goa'uld writing sweeping around the room. Positioned in the centre was a gold chamber, almost like a vertical sarcophagus. "This is the chamber..." Jacob never finished the sentence, but turned quickly, tailing off the words. The door was glowing a resolute red, and they could here the distant discharge of fire outside. The smell was carried inside and Jacob cringed. "They know...it's not going to take them very long to get inside." Jack didn't hear, he had laid Sam down on the ground. "Jacob!" He shouted, fear creeping into his words. "What Jack?" "She's not breathing!" Jack placed his hand on her chest and started compressions, as Jacob stood temporary fixated. "Jacob, help me!" Jacob shook his head, falling out of his daze and almost stumbling over to where Sam was on the ground; she was so pale. "Come on Sam! Breath!" Her body jerked slightly at Jack's compressions and Jacob was sure she was dead. "Damn it Carter! Breath!" Jacob walked over to him, talking his wrists and looked at him intently. "She's gone Jack, let her be." "No Jacob! She's not dead until I say so!" Jacob was crying, Jack stopped shouting. "God Jacob..." Jack whispered, reaching for Sam's face, almost touching it but not allowing himself to. A louder discharge shocked made Jack look up and he stared momentarily, not registering as a wave of fire flashed past him hitting the wall beside him. Jacob grabbed his arm, except it wasn't him anymore, it was Selmak. "Jack, take cover!" Jack pulled at his gun, overcome by rage suddenly. He dove behind the chamber, waiting for several seconds before he raced out, taking down four of the Jaffa who had entered the room before Jacob's fire found it's target and the last Jaffa fell to the ground. "There will be more." Jack found himself temporarily disgusted by the metallic voice of the Tokra. He turned around, staring over at Sam's body lying cold and lonely on the black floor. "Jack, you have been hit." Jack looked down at him arm, shrugging, insanely not feeling the pain as the futile anger spread his veins. "It's just a scratch." Jacob, tensed, "Yes, a deep gushing blood kind of a scratch." It felt almost ironic. "We must go now Jack, this way." Jack looked back down at Sam, "No, not without her..." "...We must leave now Jack. Sam would not want you to sacrifice yourself this way." Jack looked at his feet, then at the floor, noticing the small puddle of blood which had collected. He didn't say anything, just nodded and followed Jacob towards the exit. Then they returned, there were more now and Jack wanted to fold up and die. They flowed in like the rising tide before a man walked through, dressed in a long gold gown with the emblem of an onyx proud upon his forehead. He stopped several feet away from Jack, and smiled sadistically. "You dare to challenge my might. Ha!" Jack folded his arms, "Heard all this before, I am mighty, etcetera, you will die, etcetera. Any originality? I mean the gold things new..." Jack was stopped mid-sentence by a strong concentrated blow to the stomach. "You will not insult me again Tauri!"

20:03, 30/11/03

"Teal'c and Daniel should have set the explosives by now." Jack didn't even look up at Jacob's comment, he just stared at the ground, as though will alone could open the door. "Jacob is finding this hard also Jack." Jack looked up then and just stared at him angrily, "Hard? Hard?! He's lost his bloody daughter and he's finding it hard? How about excruciating, shattering, heartbreaking?" His voice broke and he had to stop, swallowing hard. "Cos I know that's how I bloody well feel!" He paused looking down once more, "I never did think you could feel anything other than hate."

20:08, 30/11/03

"They should be here by now Teal'c. Something's gone wrong...something always goes wrong..." Daniel sighed deeply, checking his watch for the third time in the last minute. "You are correct Daniel Jackson. I too am concerned. We will have to be most careful, there are indeed more Jaffa than I had anticipated." Daniel nodded, clenching his fists slightly before following Teal'c once more into the depths of the ship.

20:13, 30/11/03

The door clicked softly before swiftly opening and two Jaffa entered; they were both well over six feet tall, both dark in complexion, the hold of power evident in their cold stare Jack stared at them, his anger scolding them he was sure, but he sat, motionless, too tired to move. The two Jaffa parted and one-stepped forward lowering a body roughly to the floor before exiting, followed by the two other guards. Jack sat motionless for an instant before slowly approaching the body. He touched its skin, withdrawing his hand to find it wet and sticky. "Sam?" Sam was still, but her chest was rising and falling, rugged breaths dragged into her lungs. He leaned forward lifting her head onto his lap and stroked a stray hair from her face. "Can you hear me Sam?" Voices, all around. Am I dead? No. I can't be dead; I'm falling... Sam opened her eyes, tears rolling down her cheeks slowly. "Jack" Jack was bordering on tears, his hand slowly caressing Sam's cheek. "I thought I'd lost you." "We both did." Jack turned to see Jacob knelt beside him; he took Sam's hand carefully. "It hurt's so much dad." Her voice was barely a whisper, and they both strained to hear. "I know honey." He stroked her hand, relieved and saddened as she slipped back into unconsciousness.

21:50, Unknown

Sam looked up and down the garden searching for Greg's figure; the whispers had quietened further and she had sat for several minutes watching people escape the coolness of the garden for the sanctuary of the house. Sam got up from the uncomfortable garden chair and headed towards the house; it was streaming large amounts of light onto the garden illuminating the small patio area with a large wooden table and matching chairs. Sam slipped past entering the sitting room through the large sliding patio doors. The house was silent and she was startled when she heard her name called softly. Sam turned quickly to the source and noticed Greg sitting on the couch, a bottle of beer in one hand, sipping it slowly. "Sorry Greg, I didn't see you there." Greg smiled, withdrawing the bottle from his lips, savouring the aftertaste. "You apologise an awful lot considering you have nothing to apologise for."

20:18, 30/11/03

"Are you sure this is the right way Teal'c?" Daniel asked, his eyes dancing worriedly. "I am sure Daniel Jackson." The ship was a labyrinth of corridors, meeting each other now and again at blunt corners, before stretching out further. Teal'c pushed Daniel down a corridor as several Jaffa marched past not noticing their presence. "It is not far." Daniel nodded, not moving into motion again until Teal'c walked confidently forward, scanning the corridor and back into the labyrinth.

20:22, 30/11/03

"Lord, we have returned the Tauri as you desired." Honelrt placed his hands in on the side of his throne, smiling once again. "You extracted the information as I requested I take it?" The Jaffa bowed, "Yes Master, as you requested." The Jaffa walked forward almost cautiously, handing Honelrt a small device, square in shape with a small liquid surface. "Now they will see the true power which I posses." The Jaffa bowed and backed away slowly, almost fearful of his masters farcical power.

20:22, 30/11/03

The door opened once more, and the same two Jaffa entered, followed by another Jaffa apparently superior by the definition in his actions. "Geeze, what now?" Jack shouted, exasperated. The superior Jaffa pointed at him with a single finger, smiling slightly, "Take him!" The two remaining Jaffa nodded, before closing the distance between them in a matter of seconds, and virtually dragging him out of the cell, leaving no trace that they had ever been except for the solitary tear which trickled down Sam's cheek.

20:23, 30/11/03

"Talk about rough, can you guys loosen up a bit?!" Teal'c pushed Daniel sideways into the sanctuary of an adjacent tunnel, watching as three Jaffa passed by, restraining O'Neill. "Was that..." Teal'c nodded, "Yes Daniel Jackson. I believe that Major Carter and Jacob should be down the next passageway." Teal'c turned around and moved off, Daniel following several paces behind. They entered the next passage, moving only five metres down it before being greeted by a cell holding Sam and Jacob. Jacob looked up smiling, "You guys took your time." Teal'c nodded, pressing several buttons on the keypad as the door opened swiftly. Daniel entered first, his forehead creasing in concern as he saw Sam lying still on the floor. "Is she....?" Jacob shook his head, his head falling slightly, "Not yet."

20:24, 30/11/03

"Well this is new...love the dcor. Do it yourself?" Honelrt frowned, the corners of his mouth curling down in distaste. He picked up a knife; it was encrusted with several large red stones and had a black handle. Honelrt approached Jack; his arms were chained above his head and his feet were held by restraints. He dragged the knife across his cheek, blood trickled down his skin; Jack tasted it in his mouth. "You do not realise how much pleasure it would bring me to kill you right now..." Honelrt withdrew the knife, turned away and placed it upon the black surface before picking up a small square shaped device. Jack craned his neck upwards, "New toy?" Honelrt laughed, the full metallic sound of the symbiote in full chorus. He touched the surface which glowed momentarily before a floating picture, much like a hologram appeared within the centre of the room; it spiralled upwards, positioned over a huge sphere on the floor. "Now....watch!" Honelrt pressed the surface and once more it glowed, then a stream of random pictures flooded across it, before it went black and a single picture of the gateroom as viewed from the control room appeared. The stargate stood proud like a neutral sentinel. Jack swallowed loudly, "Nice slideshow." Honelrt turned to him, pressing the surface, looking intently at Jack to gauge his reaction. The hologram flickered slightly and the stargate spun into life. The picture panned down resting on one of the computers of the control panel, where SG-1's code appeared. The hologram froze, and the digits stared back at him. "Nice set of numbers...you guys know maths don't you?" Honelrt drew back his hand and rushed it forward connecting with Jack's chest. He sunk in his chains and drew breath sharply. Honelrt lifted Jack's chin, eyeballing him. "Do not insult me Tauri! I know this code will open your, iris. Your planet no longer offers you any protection." His words were bitter and he laughed again, hitting Jack once more. "I was very impressed at how my plan worked. When I captured Samantha Carter, I infected her with a serum. The serum was able to gather knowledge...I know have all the knowledge she processes." Jack's mind was screaming. After all these attacks, firefights, that was all it had taken, an injection and a few drops of blood; he laughed at the irony. Honelrt kicked Jack with full force, connected with his abdomen. "Hah! It amuses you that your world will be conquered by such a small force?" Jack gathered his strength and looked up at Honelrt, his eyes darkening, "No. It amuses me that you are so pathetic!" Honelrt eyes raged and he clenched his fists. He picked up the black knife once more, stroking it sadistically. Jack was ready, he could go now, at that moment he could take it. He waited; Jack could feel the wound beginning to open, or at least in his mind. He felt the cold tip on his skin but then the ship shook and he could hear Honelrt stumble backwards, could feel him leave. Blackness closed in on Jack from the corners of his vision, and darkness claimed him.

20:43, 30/11/03

Teal'c entered the room, stumbling as the ship shook, falling against a wall and stabilising his large frame. The first set of explosives were positioned to cripple, the second to destroy; they had less than ten minutes. Teal'c looked up to see Honelrt lying motionless on the floor, a small trickle of blood rolled across his forehead. Teal'c discharged his zat gun three times, watching in fascination once more as tiny blue beads of electricity ran across the body before it disappeared completely. Teal'c cautiously walked across the room, his gaze falling upon Jack. He was on the furthest wall, unconscious and hanging heavily on his restraints. Teal'c zatted the chains and he fell forward heavily and Teal'c caught him lowering him slowly to the ground. "O'Neill, you must awake!" O'Neill didn't move, his breaths laboured but continuous. "I apologise for this O'Neill." Teal'c cringed ever so slightly before slapping him twice across the face before Jack was unceremoniously dragged back into consciousness. He blinked rapidly and frowned. "Thanks Teal'c" Jack declared sarcastically, struggling to stand up. Teal'c nodded, "You are welcome O'Neill."

20:45, 30/11/03

Jack staggered out, seeing Daniel holding Sam. Teal'c walked over slowly, taking Sam's limp form from his arms, easing his burden. Jack just stood, silently, glancing over at her, searching her face for what he couldn't quite understand. "We should get the hell out of here." Jacob stated bluntly, his eyes darting up and down the corridor. "The glider bay is our best bet." He turned to Teal'c his eyes static on his daughter, Jack walked forward several steps, "Hey hey! We can't leave until we have Carter put in that machine..." "...Jack." Daniel's call was soft, like a summer wind and Jack stopped glancing over at him. "There's no time Jack." Jack shook his head, "There is ALWAYS time Daniel!" Daniel lowered his head, trying to abate the flood of memories which flowed through it suddenly. "Not this time Jack." Jack looked over at Sam, bundled unmoving in Teal'cs solid arms. No time left, not for her. Jack nodded and set in motion. No further words were exchanged.

20:49, 30/11/03

A flash of fire bolted past Daniel's head and he froze. "Jacob..." "Take cover!" Jacob shouted, shuffling past Teal'c and Jack and taking a strategic position so he could see the enemy. Another flash of light danced by and he retreated slightly, waiting for several seconds before firing off retaliating shots. "You have killed my master, for this you shall pay in your blood!" Jack shivered recognising it instantly as the voice of Honelrt's first prime; it bounced off the walls, booming, homing in on them. Teal'c turned to Jack, placing Sam's body into his arms; she was barely breathing. Teal'c rushed forward, placing his weapon at a defensive angle. "Why do you continue to fight? Your master is dead, you are free!" He shouted, frustration and anger evident in his voice. A loud laugh resounded down the corridor, "You are wrong! My masters death must be avenged!" Several shots rushed down the corridor; Daniel cringed at the burnt scent that floated through the air. Jacob turned to Teal'c, "He is alone, I'll provide cover fire." Teal'c bowed and waited until Jacob had fired several shots, beginning his onslaught. Teal'c rushed forward firing his weapon; it met its target and the first prime blinked several times before falling forwards, his blood already beginning to flow. Teal'c stood for several seconds, a deep regret coursing through him; he was just a man, but he did not want to be free, he'd rather be chained to false hopes and gods. Teal'c stepped away slowly, "We must go!"

20:53, 30/11/03

"Thank God." Jacob sighed, looking at the collection of cargo vessels standing discarded in the bay. They rushed forward selecting a random vessel and boarding it. Teal'c rushed into the control room, closely followed by Jacob, and Jack soon felt the familiar sensation of flight. He laid Sam on the cold floor, taking off his jacket and laying it over her body. She was so cold and looked so distant like even if he were to reach out and touch her he would never truly be near her. Daniel sat on a container in the corner keeping his distance, watching as Jack stroked her cheek softly and slowly. His figure was hunched slightly, the inevitable bearing down on him. Jacob looked back as the ship exploded, space claiming it. As the shattered shards broke off into space, he knew he had failed; Sam was dying. He got up, frowning as Teal'c looked up and approached the cargo bay. He stopped, hovering in the entrance, seeing Jack leant over her. This few moments belonged to him, there wouldn't be many more.

Jack breathed heavily, an intangible pain deep inside ached like an ill dog who had retreated into their kennel to die. He took a deep shuddering breath, taking Sam's hand, her fingers now like tiny icicles. "Sam, I don't know if you can still hear me...I hope you can." He drew breath, expecting her to answer. "We blew up the ship. Honelrt's gone." He paused, he needed the right words. "Sam, I'm an idiot for waiting so long to tell you, but I've been in love with you for almost seven years. I would have given up anything to be by your side, and now I'm about to give up everything...you." He lowered his head, it was too late; she'd be gone soon. "I'm so sorry."

21:54, Unknown

Sam eased herself off the sofa, staggering slightly. "I'm gonna go now. Thanks for the day, it's been nice." Greg smiled, not moving. "Yes it has." Sam shifted uncomfortably; Greg placed the now empty bottle on the coffee table and stood up, arching his neck. "Thanks for coming. I'll show you out." Sam smiled, watching as Greg walked past her before she followed him to the door. He turned the latch letting the door fall open and a cool breeze float into the house. She stepped outside walking several steps before turning to Greg and smiling. Greg nodded, "Tell him Sam. Don't regret not." Sam looked at him puzzled before he closed the door. She stood still for several seconds before the breeze tickled her skin and she began to walk through the summer dark towards her car.

20:55, 30/11/03

It was so slight he thought he'd imagined it at first, but again he felt a slight pressure in his hand. He looked down at her, searching her features for some signal. Her eyes twitched and ever so slowly they opened. "Sir?" She croaked, her words like sandpaper on fine glass. Jack thought he was going to cry; the droplets formed in his eyes but didn't succumb to gravity. Sam looked worried, "Why were you sorry sir?" Jack smiled, "It doesn't matter Carter. There's still time."

9:08, 30/11/03

"I don't understand it" Daniel said, falling back into one of the grey seats in Janet's office. He scrapped a hand through his hair and readjusted his glasses as Janet opened a file, staring at various pieces of paper. "I mean, we thought she was dead...she was so cold Janet, so pale." Janet closed the file, looking at Daniel whose eyes were unfocused. "Daniel." He slowly looked at her, his eyes sweeping her face. "The only conclusion I can make is that when Honelrt extracted the information, he removed all the 'black cells' and converted them back to their original form. I have no idea how he did this though, I guess we'll never know..." Janet tailed off noticing the distinct lack of interest in Daniel's eyes. "She's going to be fine Daniel." Daniel nodded, getting up and muttering a quiet thanks before he exited the room. He walked over to Sam's bed shyly, eyeing the chair before sitting into it, his head protesting slightly. "You're going to be fine Sam."

10:46, 1/12/03

"Jack?" Jack's head snapped up from the floor and he stopped walking. He turned to see Daniel come up bounding behind him. "I need to say something," Daniel stated, definitely, crossing his arms over his chest and standing tall. Jack rolled his eyes and started walking again, "Can't it wait Daniel? I'm on my way to see Carter." Daniel took a moment to realise Jack had started off again and another moment to start walking after him. "That's just it Jack! What if there had been no more time?" Jack stopped dead, turning slowly to see Daniel, his arms hanging limply by his sides, his eyes creased in exasperation. "What if she had died Jack?" Jack swallowed hard, his eyes darting before he managed to look at Daniel again. "I heard what you told her Jack, and if you have half a brain you'll walk in there and let her know." Daniel finished, standing still in anticipation. Jack shoved his hands in his pockets and looked down, nodding before he started walking again. When he looked up he was smiling.

Thanks to all of you who made it this far! Please leave feedback, it's very important as a writer to know what people think. Thanks

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Dominique