Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

One Good Knee

by DJ Boyd
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
One Good Knee

One Good Knee

by DJ Boyd

TITLE: One Good Knee
Author: DJ Boyd
Email: calmpony@hotmail.com
Category: Future story, 'Within the Regs', Hurt/Comfort
Pairings: Sam/Jack
Spoilers: Quotes and references to; Meridian, Proving Grounds, Entity, 100 Days, Crystal Skull, Chain of Command, Divide and Conquer, Tangent, Children of the Gods
Season: Future seasons
Rating: PG-mild language, mild m/f interaction, violence
Content Warnings: None
Summary: This changes everything...again.
Status: Complete
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and it's characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for, entertainment purposes only, no money has exchanged hands. The original characters and story are the property of the author and are not to be archived else where without the author's permission.
Author's Notes: My first Fanfic, since becoming a Stargate fan a year ago. Many thanks to my Betas, Erica, Haili & Izzy. I appreciate your time and quick response, (not ignoring the other betas, just couldn't wait any longer, my thanks go to you too.) A BIG thank you to my new friend, 'Jen in Jersey', for all your encouragement. Hang in there! Also many thanks to my favorite Stargate Fanfic writers, jcolgan & Badgergater, just to name...well, two...but there are many more. You are the best, keep writing! Oh...feedback is good...thanks.

"Teal'c! Carter needs cover fire NOW!" O'Neill's voice could be heard above the chatter of his own P90 as he continued to hold off the encroaching wave of Jaffa. 'One of these days that damn MALP is going to sniff these guys out BEFORE we get here!' O'Neill knew it was wishful thinking on his part...but it never hurt to dream did it?

He looked to his right and saw Teal'c rise up from the meager cover he had found for himself, drawing the attention, and fire of eight of the dozen staff weapons that had been raining down on his 2IC effectively pinning her down to the rock that had been shielding her from harm. He watched out of the corner of his eye waiting for Sam Carter to make her way toward the DHD and the safety of home. "Come on Carter." He whispered with no small amount of desperation. The strain of the last two hours was beginning to show in the slight tremor of his voice as he willed her to find the safest, and quickest route. Blowing this pop stand was high priority...doing it in one piece was...frosting on the cake. 'I like frosting...a lot.' he thought.

Major Carter took one last look in her CO's direction. It never stopped to amaze her how cool he remained under fire. She knew he was counting on her to get the gate open and their IDC transmitted to the SGC. If the iris is not opened, before the members of SG-1 step through the wormhole's event horizon, it will be their last trip through the Gate. Taking a deep breath Sam closed her eyes for a fraction of a second. She opened them and looked for confirmation from her CO. She saw the nod and without hesitation took off at a dead run for the DHD, trusting her back to the two most important people in her life. As she ran, she heard O'Neill shouting to the other team members.

"Jameson, fall back that's an order! Teal'c cover them!" He couldn't believe the never-ending flow of Jaffa. They were everywhere. The only thing that had saved them was Jameson's early warning. That kid could haul his six over a lot of nasty ground fast. He didn't waste time second-guessing himself either. He saw the threat and made his report, while in flight by the sound of it, and was back with the rest of the team before anyone else had time to take up defensive positions. Unfortunately, they were five miles from the Stargate at the time. It took the better part of two hours for the team to cover the distance. Now they were on the verge of safety, but, if O'Neill's good ole' buddy 'Murphy', was anywhere near by...and he usually was...they weren't out of it yet.

Then again, maybe...'Murphy'...had missed this party after all. The leader of Stargate Command's premier team had been counting off each team member as they dove through the gate. Only two left. He knew there would be. Sam Carter, and Teal'c. "CARTER, GET OUT OF HERE!" It was bad enough he and Teal'c were both pinned down; he did not need Carter getting herself fried as well. He couldn't risk the break in concentration to see if she had followed his order. It didn't take long to figure out she hadn't. Her P90 on automatic spat a torrent of cover fire as Teal'c turned and dashed toward the gate. 'Ok...that was helpful, but following orders would be nice.' Now Teal'c's staff weapon joined Carter's P90, firing over O'Neill's head as he hustled backwards, never taking his eyes off the, finally, dwindling enemy. Anxious to get his last two team members home, he stood up and turned to run the last ten yards to the gate, knowing he wasn't going to make it without taking a little heat. '...Hello Murphy.'

******************

General Hammond was waiting in the control room, watching for the rest of his best team. Over the past year, at the suggestion of Colonel O'Neill, Hammond had increased SG-1's number by five, bringing the total to eight team members. He had tried replacing Dr. Jackson after his death, but no one could come close to filling his shoes. The original dynamic was gone and it appeared the surviving threesome were in no hurry to permanently adopt a new fourth. SG-1 had evolved from strictly a first contact team to more of a graduation testing ground for newly trained troops. It was a controversial decision, not popular with the pentagon, (after all, who was going to save the world next time?). So far, it had been a successful and challenging 'test'. O'Neill did not shy away from letting him know who would make it off world and who wouldn't. Hammond's only concern was for the Colonel himself. He continued to blame himself for Daniel's death. Any good leader would take the responsibility of losing one of his team, but Jack O'Neill wouldn't except the fact that some people just don't understand the meaning of following orders for the greater good. 'Humph...wonder where any of them learned that.' The form of Major Carter leaping through the gate calling, "WE NEED MEDICS HERE", interrupted General Hammond's thoughts, concerning his second in commands own ability to follow orders.

The major was followed a fraction of a second later by Teal'c, dragging a struggling Jack O'Neill through with him. O'Neill was writhing in pain, having taken a staff blast to his knee. "SHUT IT DOWN!" The iris closed, followed by two muffled thuds signaling the unsuccessful attempt of at least two Jaffa diving through the gate.

The wormhole disengaged and Carter knelt beside the Colonel to see how badly he was injured. She went pale as she looked at the place his kneecap should have been. As he met her gaze, he smiled. "Just a scratch..." He was trying to hide the pain. "Everyone make it?" Sam returned the smile. "Yes sir, the chicks are in the coop." "Good job Major...I'm going to pass out now..." Teal'c quickly carried the now unconscious Colonel to the gurney waiting at the bottom of the ramp.

As the comforting darkness engulfed O'Neill, Doctor Fraiser shouted orders to her staff. "Move it people we have a small window in which to save this leg!" General Hammond arrived at the foot of the gate ramp as the medics rolled the gurney away, rushing toward the infirmary. Fraiser simply called out as she passed, "Sir, I'll let you know." Hammond turned to face the remaining members of SG-1. "Major Carter, it looks like the Colonel is going to be unavailable for a debriefing, I expect you will be able to fill me in on what happened during this supposed training run?"

Sam Carter's eyes were full of concern and fatigue but she did not hesitate to answer. "Yes sir, of course." The General's eyes met those of each of the new recruits who had spent the last two weeks with SG-1. He turned once more to the teams second in command. "We will debrief at 1400 hrs, Teal'c you will attend as usual, and Major, bring along any other team members you feel will have pertinent information concerning this mission. You may dismiss your team, then go and check on Colonel O'Neill."

"Yes sir, thank you sir." General Hammond returned to his office, he hated having to wait for news concerning injured team members; he needed to find something to keep him busy. Carter watched him leave the gate room before acknowledging the team. She looked at Teal'c and saw in his face the same question racing through her own mind. 'What happened?'

He helped bring her focus back to the task. "MajorCarter, I believe Colonel O'Neill would agree that Lt. Jameson had the best vantage point at the time the Jaffa were discovered." Carter nodded in agreement. "I would say so, Lieutenant, report to the briefing room at 1400 hrs, anyone else think they have something worth sharing?" She gave the team a moment to think about it.

"Major?" It was Lisa Brown 2nd Lt. "Wouldn't it be beneficial for all of us to attend? I saw the way the colonel and Mr. Teal'c were pinned down. How did they even get near the gate?" Teal'c spoke up before Carter had a chance to respond. "If it had not been for MajorCarter, Colonel O'Neill and I would still be on P57-334." Teal'c turned to his teammate inclining his head slightly, "Thank you, my friend."

Sam Carter shook her head and smiled, "You're welcome Teal'c, you would have done the same for me. Lt. Brown, I understand your need to know what happened after you returned through the Stargate. We will have a team debrief as soon as I have some information about Colonel O'Neill, in the mean time just remember the number one rule of this team...No one gets left behind. Teal'c, Jameson, Kline, Green, hit the showers, then the infirmary for your post mission exam, stay on base until further notice. Brown, Irwin you're with me, we will get our exam out of the way while I'm checking on the Colonel."

Looking a little shell shocked the team separated to take turns in the locker room. If Carter hadn't been so anxious to find out about the Colonel's injuries she would have raced the men to the showers and been glad to claim first rights. As she headed toward the infirmary, a portion of her team in tow, the vision of Jack laying on the ramp, minus a kneecap, came flashing back. Sam suddenly felt ill and staggered slightly. "Major, are you all right?" She felt strong fingers grip her upper arm as she slid slowly down the wall and sat abruptly on the cold, hard floor. Lieutenants Brown and Irwin knelt beside her.

"M'am do you need assistance?" Carter looked up into the frightened eyes of Maggie Irwin. 'This one is not going to make it outside the lab.' It was a thought that automatically registered, an assessment the Colonel would have made. Carter found it odd that she was taking on the role of team leader so easily, almost as if Jack were there next to her, guiding her through the last few minutes. "No, please no..." Sam was on her feet running toward the infirmary before the two young women could react.

As she rounded the last bend in the hallway, she saw General Hammond standing outside the O.R. listening to Dr. Fraiser's assessment of his 2IC. By the look on his face, it was not good news. Sam slowed to a rapid walk, her heart pounding so hard in her ears it made her head hurt. "Thank you, doctor. Considering what has happened...Ah, Major Carter, I am glad you are here. Effective immediately you are Commanding Officer of SG-1. Dr. Fraiser can fill you in. Ladies, please excuse me, I have some phone calls to make."

Major Carter was not given the opportunity to question Hammond's order, or even to acknowledge she had heard him. She turned to the doctor, fearful of what she might say. "Janet?" She barely recognized her own voice. "Come to my office Sam, we can talk privately there." Carter stood her ground, "No, Janet, tell me now. What's happening with Colonel O'Neill?"

The petite Doctor noticed how pale her friend was and decided, despite the presence of the young recruits, Sam needed to know what had happened to her CO. "Sam, he's okay. We did almost lose him about twenty minutes ago. He was in shock and his blood pressure was almost non-existent. But, thankfully, that stubborn Irish O'Neill pulled through. Dr. Warner is reconstructing his kneecap now. The upside to this is, it is his bad knee. The one I have been wanting to repair for about four years now." Dr. Fraiser could see the relief wash over her friend's face. "And the downside?"

Before answering, Janet sent the two recruits down the hall to the infirmary, where nurses were waiting to give them their post mission injections. "I have to ground him." Sam Carter's eyes went wide, not certain she had heard correctly. "Wait, you just said he was going to be okay." Janet walked slowly toward her. "Sam, the staff blast took out his kneecap. It is not life threatening, now the shock is under control. He will recover, after a lot of rehab, he can still be of great benefit to the SGC, but he won't be leading any more teams through the Stargate."

Carter took in what Janet was saying and knew what Jack's response would be. "He'll retire Janet, he can't fly a desk." Janet gently steered her in the direction of the infirmary. "Sam, let's get him back on his feet, there will be plenty of time for him to decide what he wants to do. Who knows he may have reasons to want to stay."

******************

It had been three hours since Dr. Warner had finished rebuilding Jack's kneecap. Carter, Teal'c, and Lt. Jameson had completed their report to General Hammond, including their assessment on the viability of sending a reconnaissance team back to P57-334. Major Carter had not hesitated in expressing her concern for the safety of any future teams. Yet, on the other hand, they needed to know why a swarm, of Jaffa were suddenly on a planet that SG-1 had been using as a training ground for the past six months.

Carter couldn't help but notice the report and subsequent discussion had a hollow feeling without Jack's sarcastic input. She was relieved to hear the general thanking them for their report, "...I will take into consideration your recommendations, and concerns, before deciding how to proceed from here. Thank you Major, you and your team are dismissed, why don't you go see how Colonel O'Neill is doing?" Without hesitation Sam Carter jumped to her feet and was half way out the door before her, "Yes sir!" had reached Hammonds ears.

Dr. Fraiser was on her way to the O.R. recovery room as Sam rounded the corner. "Janet how is the Colonel? Is he awake yet?" It was difficult to hide the concern in her voice. Janet smiled at her as she filled her in on the Colonel's progress. "He woke up a half hour ago, just long enough to ask how his team was. He wasn't interested in hearing about his own situation yet though. I think he knows, Sam. Hammond hasn't said anything to him yet, but I think he knows this was his last trip."

Sam walked beside Janet in silence. Her voice was barely a whisper when she finally spoke, "I will never be able to do his job, Janet. I'm not even sure I want to. If the debriefing was any indication of what it's going to be like without him leading SG-1, then I really don't want to be a part of it." The two officers had stopped walking. Janet reached out and held Sam's arm. "What happened?" "Oh, nothing went wrong, it just wasn't...right. You know what I mean?" "Sam, you have lead debrief reports before when the Colonel has been injured. What was different this time?" Carter dropped her eyes to the floor, contemplating the gray paint and red and green directional stripes. "I guess...because this time I knew he wouldn't be back."

Janet put her arm around Sam's shoulders. "You know you are capable of leading SG-1. The general never would have given you command if he had any doubts. After you lost Daniel, it was hard for SG-1 to comprehend going on without him. It took a while for the team to find its focus again. Give it time, Sam."

The weight of responsibility seemed to be dragging her down more than ever before as she looked up again and caught Janet's gaze. "You don't get it Janet, he is SG-1. Without his leadership, we never could have done the things we did. You haven't seen him under fire like I have. He is the only reason I had the courage to fight the entity and hang on until you found me...or...or come up with a particle beam generator, or any of the other devices, and equations I have worked out to 'save us all'. He knew he could count on me...and I wouldn't let him down."

Janet had been listening intently to her friend, knowing the strain of the day had a lot to do with her defeatist attitude toward her new found command. "Sam, he still is counting on you...and so am I. If Colonel O'Neill is going to have a successful recovery, he is going to have to know everything else is under control. You can do this Sam." Carter took a deep, cleansing breath, "I guess you are right Janet, I don't have any choice do I?" The pair started walking toward the recovery room again, "Let's take it a day at a time, ok, Sam?" They had reached their destination as Sam nodded in resigned agreement.

Jack O'Neill lay still, his breathing soft, and regular. His recovery from the anesthesia was going well. Step one accomplished. Janet was not looking forward to the Colonel finding out his days as CO of SG1 were irreversibly over, and she did not intend for him to until he was one hundred percent out of any jeopardy of a relapse. She only hoped Sam would still be here when General Hammond gave him the news. In the mean time, he had a lot of friends and colleagues pulling for him.

Janet automatically switched to doctor mode, checking her patients pulse and heart rate. Sam stood near by, her eyes widened, taking in the apparatus that encased the colonel's leg from ankle to hip. It was like a small bivouac tent balanced on the bed and secured from above by long lines and a series of pulleys. She walked around the foot of the bed trying to find some spot that wasn't already taken by a machine or IV pole.

Janet watched her quietly as she continued taking the Colonel's vitals. "Sam, just move that monitor to the right a bit, then you can pull up the chair." Carter looked up from her perusal of her CO's sleeping form, 'He always looks younger when he's sleeping...' "Oh, thanks Janet." "Hey, you know how much my staff appreciates SG-1 babysitting each other when one of you are in here. Especially...when the Colonel is in here!" Janet turned to make a note on his chart, then, with a promise of returning in thirty minutes, she left to look in on her other patients.

Colonel O'Neill was known as the SGC's most impatient, patient. The nurses would draw straws for the privilege of not being assigned to him. Sam was speechless when she caught them in the act, just after the Colonel and Teal'c had returned from their unscheduled space journey, and he had only been admitted overnight for observation! A smile crossed her face as she remembered the indignation on Jack's face when he finally found out their secret.

"Nishe...view to wake up to...Carter." His voice was strained, and slightly slurred from the effects of the sedatives and painkillers, but it was strong. Sam jumped, not realizing he had awakened. "Colonel, hi sir, how are you feeling?" He took a moment to consider her question, checking his vitals in his own unique way. "Act'chlly, not too bad. Must be on a lot of Doc's Happy Juice." His eyes drifted closed again, trying to decide if they were ready to stay open yet.

Sam gently took his hand in hers, avoiding the IV line. "Why don't you go back to sleep sir, it hasn't been your best day." His eyes opened slightly and he met her gaze. "Team's ok, right?" "Yes sir, everyone is fine. No injuries other than your own." He smiled at his 2IC as he firmly told her, "In that case...my day has been great." Carter shook her head in wonder at his devotion to his team. His own injury...life changing injury...was of no consequence as long as no one else was hurt. "Carter, any idea why a tent is on my bed?" Jack's eyes had caught sight of the contraption shielding his leg from view. "Ah...sir, I'm certain Dr. Fraiser will be in to explain everything, now that you are awake."

She saw his eyes suddenly go wide, and realized, he couldn't see his foot sticking out of the end of the 'tent'. In all the years she had known him, Sam could count on one hand the number of times she had seen fear in his eyes. What she saw now, was the strongest man she knew, on the verge of a full-blown panic attack. It dawned on her what he must be thinking. "Colonel, sir listen to me, you haven't lost your leg. Dr. Warner had to do some surgery on your knee...the 'tent' is allowing the dressing to breathe without exposing it unnecessarily."

Her words were not registering through his drug-induced haze. "Colonel O'Neill, I'm going to touch your toes, sir. Try not to yank your leg away...you might undo some of Dr. Warner's nice, neat stitches...then we both would be in a lot of trouble. Ready? Tell me if you can feel this." She gently, but firmly took hold of his foot, massaging the ball and heel. Next, she ran her hand over, and around his ankle, trying not to tickle him, as she applied firm pressure to pass on the reassurance that his leg was, indeed still a part of him. She felt him relax and as she met his gaze, she saw the relief wash over him.

"Thanks Carter, for a minute there all I could do was picture myself shopping for one shoe." She walked back to the side of the bed and sat down again. "You're welcome sir, I'm sorry I caused you to worry to begin with. I didn't think what your view point must have been." "Ah, forget it Carter, I'm used to people not seeing my point of view." He caught her look of surprise, and smiled broadly. "Right...sir. I think I'll get Janet; she wanted to know when you woke up. I'll be right back." As Sam stood to leave, he caught her hand in his. "Promise?" "Yasureyabetcha...sir."

******************

"Dawc, come on it's been six weeks, fer cryin' out loud!" Colonel O'Neill had not stopped belly aching from the moment Janet Fraiser had arrived that morning. "Yes, Colonel, it has been six weeks, six very, long weeks. Of course, if you had followed orders when you were sent home, three weeks ago, you would not, have undone half of the work Dr. Warner and I did originally."

O'Neill looked down at his furiously twiddling thumbs and sheepishly mumbled, "You aren't going to let go of that are you?" "Not a chance, Colonel, not a chance." "Aw...Janet, all I wanted to do was look through my telescope..." "...And fall off your roof in the process." "Now that's not fair, you know I didn't plan that." Janet folded her arms across her white lab coat while giving her fidgety patient her best 'keep on talking if you must, but I win anyway' stare. Jack knew the look well, and was finally resigned to losing the 'Can I go yet?' challenge.

After a full minute of silence, Janet proceeded to check O'Neill's vitals, making notes in his chart along the way. Jack wisely held his tongue until she had finished. "You know Colonel, if I could read minds, I wouldn't be surprised to see some, less than flattering, remarks being thrown my way about now."

He looked up quickly, certain she had read his mind. "You mean like 'Napoleonic war-monger'?" His look of innocence, as he spouted his favorite nickname for the diminutive doctor, sent her into a spasm of laughter. "Colonel, why is it every time I'm ready to wring your stubborn neck, you do or say something that gets you off the hook?" He grinned and tossed her a wink, "Just lucky, I guess."

"More like practice makes perfect." Sam's voice chimed in from the doorway. "Hey, Carter whose side are you on?" "Oh, I'm not taking sides sir, just stating the obvious." She exchanged a glance with the good doctor, who quickly turned her back to check on...something.

"You can't fool me Janet, I can see your shoulders shaking with amusement. I have never been able to win when you ladies double team me." He waited patiently for the two of them to regain their composure before testing the waters, again. "So, Doc, now that we are friends...again...when do I get to go home?"

"Actually, colonel, depending on how well your PT session goes today...I was thinking of releasing you tomorrow." Jack's eyes lit up like a kid at Christmas. Janet quickly added, "Providing...you stay off your roof for at least another six months."

The colonel's face fell just as quickly as he had from said roof. "Six months!"

He stopped mid complaint, catching the look in the doctor's eye. Turning desperately to Sam, for some back up, only to receive an apologetic shrug of the shoulders, he finally smiled slowly and stated for the record, "Okay Doc, you win."

******************

Jack O'Neill walked down the corridor of Level 23 on his way to the infirmary. He had a date with the base CMO to assess his ability to go back to work. Four months of physical therapy, and his unique ability to heal faster than anyone Fraiser knew, had him sauntering along good as new. Until his knee decided to take a path of it's own of course...which happened on a fairly, regular basis. The frustration of not being able to trust his step was occasionally, over whelming.

Then again, at least he was alive. He knew he had Carter and Teal'c to thank for even being here, ok, so he had to use a cane for a while. No big deal...right? He still could not believe how lucky they had all been. Luck? 'Yeah, well there was some skill involved ...and a real healthy dose of dedication to each other'. Jack's thoughts turned to a new focus as he entered the infirmary and saw his team receiving their post mission exams. He paused in the doorway and silently observed the interactions of the team members.

There was Ferretti, flirting with the nurses as usual. He had volunteered assignment to the team temporarily, adding his military strength and experience. The kid with the long legs who could run like a...'What was his name...Jameson...that's it.' Lt. Brown was also a part of the newly formed SG-1. 'At least Carter isn't out numbered anymore.' Teal'c, as stoic as ever, looked up from the fussing of the Airman preparing his injections "O'Neill, it gives me great pleasure to see you walking again." Jack turned to his friend and smiled, "Thanks Teal'c. It's good to be back." He scanned the room once more. "So...where's Carter?"

"Right here sir." Jack automatically started to pivot in the direction of Carter's voice...he was reminded pivoting was not on the agenda by the sharp pain that engulfed his knee. "Hey, Carter." Major Carter stood beside her former CO, smiling at him warmly, " I didn't know you were going to be on base today sir, how are you?" "Oh, you know, getting ready for the hundred yard dash...Sooo...Carter, team's looking good."

Sam nodded, " Yes sir, they're a good group." Using his best command voice so each team member could hear he asked, "They treatin' you right?" Sam turned to her team looking each one in the eye, "Yes, sir." She received a look of disbelief, "Even Ferretti?" "Come, on Colonel, you know me." Ferretti laughed. "Yeah, I do...which is why I asked the question. I haven't forgotten the practical jokes you are so fond of pulling behind the CO's back."

Ferretti's face reddened slightly as he confessed, "All in good fun, Colonel, that's all." "Right...Carter make sure you shake out your bag before climbing in for the night...and count your sugar packets..." General Hammond entering the infirmary interrupted the lighthearted banter. "A'TEN-HUT!" As Major Ferretti issued the alert, Hammond's voice was ringing out deeply, "As you were people."

He offered his hand to his 2IC. "Colonel O'Neill it is good to have you back, son. Has Dr. Fraiser cleared you for duty?" Jack took the General's hand and returned the strong handshake. "Thank you, sir. There's some SG team taking up the Doc's time at the moment, but I'm sure with their...COOPERATION, She will get around to seeing me soon."

Hammond smiled at the jibe directed toward SG-1. "I'm certain they will cooperate, Colonel, they have had an exemplary leader over the years." "Thank you, sir." Jack hated compliments, but appreciated knowing his team was living up to the standard he expected. "Colonel, after your visit with Dr. Fraiser I'd like you to report to my office. We have some things to discuss." A feeling of dread washed over Jack as he answered, "Yes, sir."

General Hammond gave a curt nod and smile, "Good. Major Carter, have your debrief ready in one hour." "Yes, sir." Hammond made his way back to his office; he had some work to do before he and Colonel O'Neill had their long over due heart, to heart.

"Anything...exciting...to report, Major?" Jack was definitely feeling out of the loop, he hated that. "No, sir." Carter responded with a grin, "You would have found it pretty boring...you know...scientist stuff." Jack looked wounded, "Hey, I like...scientist...stuff, if it's the interesting kind."

Ferretti chimed in, "Colonel, trust me this was not the interesting kind. It was more like the 'pull the tooth without the Novocain' kind." Teal'c looked from O'Neill to Ferretti and back again raising an eyebrow at what appeared to be a revelation, "Colonel O'Neill, MajorFerretti and yourself do indeed share many of the same attributes. It explains why MajorCarter and I have been able to work smoothly with him in such a short time." Ferretti had volunteered assignment to SG-1 while Jack was on the mend. His own command of SG-2 was quickly covered by a Major Jansen, newly transferred from the Pentagon under the recommendation of Major Davis.

O'Neill met the gaze of his long time friend and teammate. His shoulders sagged slightly as he paused, before giving a smile and a sincere response. "That's great Teal'c, I'm glad you guys are all getting along so well."He then turned to look at his 2IC. Her eyes met his. Sam Carter shifted uncomfortably under the scrutiny. The barely noticeable tension that was beginning to build was quickly defused as Dr. Fraiser entered the room.

"Colonel O'Neill, you're bright and early this morning." O'Neill turned slightly, slowly releasing Carter from the dead lock he held her in. "Yep, you know me Doc...just can't wait to get into your clutches." The petite doctor rolled her eyes in a pronouncement of disbelief. "Uh huh, and I suppose you have some swamp land in Florida you expect me to buy too?"

"Oh...no...no, Carter's already bought that. I was thinking more of this bridge I have in California." The sarcastic jokes were flying freely as one very puzzled Jaffa looked on. "O'Neill I was not aware you had such a possession. Why would Dr. Fraiser be in need of a bridge, or Major Carter in need of swamp land?" Carter spoke up before Jack had the chance to further complicate things for the former First Prime.

"Teal'c, I'll explain it to you on the way to our debriefing." Her smile was somewhat strained as she felt a wave of guilt for having accepted command of SG-1 before the colonel had been told the complete situation. "If you will excuse us sir?" Jack nodded and watched as his team left the infirmary to report the success of their most recent mission. "Sure, have fun kids."

"Well, Colonel, are you ready?"

"As ready as I'll ever be Doc." Fraiser proceeded to examine her patient, making note of his progress, pausing occasionally to read his most recent physical therapy report. With in one hours time the Dr. had completed her assessment of O'Neill's physical ability to return to active duty.

He watched her intently from the exam bed upon which he was perched as she prepared a few notes to deliver to General Hammond. "Soo...what's the verdict Doc? Do I get to come out and play with the other kids yet?" A smile crept across Fraiser's lips as she silently realized how apropos the Colonel's phrasing was. He really was just a big kid. "Colonel, as usual, you are healing at a remarkable rate. You are certainly fit for some light duty, and I can tell you the General will be glad to have you back."

O'Neill winced, "Light duty? You mean I can only go to planets that are proven safe, one hundred percent snake head free?" The doctor looked up from her notes to find herself staring into the colonel's deep brown eyes. She could see the pleading behind them. "No, sir. I mean light duty as in paper work, conducting briefings, tactical consultations, etc."

His eyes fell as he shook his head, "Ah, fer cryin' out loud. Janet you're not serious..." Her look of 'Absolutely' was all he needed to see "...you are serious, for how long exactly? When can I lead my team again? You said yourself I'm a great healer."

She saw right through his game of 'if I don't say it...it won't be true'. She placed a hand on his lower arm as he rested it on his thigh. "Jack...I think you should go see General Hammond now."

He stiffened at the suggestion. "Alright Janet, let's cut through the bull. I'm not going back through the gate again am I?" She dropped her gaze slightly, "The General is waiting..."

O'Neill suddenly felt like launching himself off the bed. "Janet...we've all been avoiding this long enough. I've eaten Jell-O in the mess hall that has more stability than this damn knee has, even with this lovely fashion statement of a brace. All I want to know is...how much longer before I can trust it again."

Dr. Fraiser was never one to shy away from medical facts, she met his gaze as she voiced what she knew in her heart was the last thing he wanted to hear. "Sir, your knee will never be the same. The damage from the staff blast was far too extensive. Dr. Warner and I were able to give you a joint that would function. It was not possible to do any more than we did. Actually we are surprised that you are able to walk at all, but I credit that good old Irish stubbornness for that miracle." She watched her patient closely as she revealed her prognosis.

Jack O'Neill listened intently to what Fraiser was telling him. He felt his gut drop and rise rapidly to his throat as he finally accepted what he had known all along. 'Denial is such a temporary place to live.' His thoughts were interrupted, by Fraiser's concerned question.

"Colonel? Are you all right, sir?" She did not like the look in his eye. For months after Daniel's death, the colonel's normally warm, brown eyes had this same look of loss, and emptiness. Her concern for his physical, and mental health should have been no more than it would have been for anyone under her care, but Jack O'Neill was also her friend. Her heart ached for him as she watched him come to terms with his future, or in his mind, lack of a future.

He contemplated the question Fraiser was asking. 'No, should I be?' "Yeah, I'm just peachy. Excuse me Doc, can't keep the General waiting." Jack wanted desperately to bounce off the infirmary bed and prove the good doctor wrong. Fortunately, common sense, and a sudden twinge in the offending joint, guided him into a purposeful, but somewhat tentative, dismount. "Thanks, Doc. See you next week." Janet watched as Colonel O'Neill made his way down the corridor toward the elevators. His internal strength never ceased to amaze her.

******************

Satisfied with the report from SG-1, General Hammond was able to determine the viability of sending a research team back to PP4-937. The soil samples had indicated a high enough level of Naquada to justify further exploration. " Major Carter, in your opinion, what is the level of risk in sending a second team in to establish mining possibilities? Any sign of recent Goa'uld activity?"

"None that we are aware of sir, though I wouldn't rule it out completely. As you know, we ran into a situation a few months ago where we were certain the Goa'uld had deserted P57-334, only to be caught off guard..." Carter's voice trailed off as she realized Colonel O'Neill was standing in the doorway listening to her all but accuse him of negligence of command. His eyes met hers' and conveyed a look of betrayal that was subtle enough for the others present to miss, but spoke volumes to Carter, and unknown to her, General Hammond himself. "...Sir, I didn't mean to imply..."

"Save it Carter, we were all there, we know what happened." His clipped tone sent a clear message that left Major Carter looking intently at the papers spread out in front of her. Hammond noticed the strain in his second's voice. "Colonel O'Neill, would you join us?" This needed defusing fast, obviously his visit with Dr. Fraiser did not go well.

"No sir, excuse the interruption...I was curious why P57...whatever it is, became part of this mission debrief, that's all. I'll go eavesdrop somewhere else...sir." As Jack turned to leave the General's strong, voice brought him to a halt. "Colonel that was not an invitation, it was a request. Now, please have a seat." Hammond held Jack in place with a command stare that had always impressed the younger man. He slowly made his way to an empty chair at the far end of the conference table.

"Major Carter would you briefly summarize your mission for the Colonel?" Jack looked down the length of the table, " That won't be necessary, sir...I've been listening for a while." General Hammond was not surprised by O'Neill's confession. "Alright, Colonel O'Neill I would like to hear your assessment and recommendations concerning further exploration, and a possible mining site on PP4-937."

"With all due respect, General, why are you asking me? Carter has command of this team, shouldn't she be the one to assess and recommend?" Jack had allowed his gaze to shift from the General to Carter and back again. "As you know Colonel, I have already heard Major Carter's assessment, Now, I would like to hear yours." Major Carter looked at her former CO, waiting for him to tear apart the reasoning behind her decision. "Sir..." General Hammond had had enough of this posturing nonsense. "Humor me Colonel."

Jack was brought up short in his attempt at getting out of analyzing Carters' leadership abilities. "Major Carters' assessment and recommendations parallel my own sir...with one exception." "Go on." He found a pencil lying on the table it was just what his fidgety fingers needed. He used it as a pointer as he picked out one of the new team members to question. "Lt.... Brown, right?" He received an affirmative 'yes sir'. "Any sign of civilization? You know, crumpled buildings...pictures on cave walls...rocks?"

To say Lt. Brown was a little nervous would be an understatement, her voice quavered slightly. "Sir?" Carter jumped in, understanding the confusion surrounding the young officer. "What the Colonel means to say is were there any ruins, glyphs, or artifacts?" Brown's eyes lit up and the nervousness vanished as she slipped into lecture mode. "Oh...well, yes I did find some ruins that appeared to be at least five thousand years old, though I am guessing there was a thriving community as late as two hundred years ago. Three walls...and possibly more actually... were covered in glyphs... ancient Egyptian by the looks of it, but it also appeared to be similar with the writings from Abydos, which Dr. Jackson has recorded in his notebook. I'm guessing these people were part of the first group that Ra kidnapped from earth. That would mean some families... might have been split up and sent to two different locations..."

O'Neill held up a hand, "Ahh...you're starting to ramble, stick to the facts...and keep it short and sweet". The colonel's interruption was enough to throw the Lieutenant into a tale spin. "Yes, sir, I'm sorry sir. I...I ... just found it interesting that the people of Abydos are still there, while this civilization, which mirrors that of Abydos, was wiped out...Sir. You see, in looking through Dr. Jackson's notebooks, the writings are identical to those on Abydos. So you see sir it would really be helpful to be able to study this site...maybe there's a piece missing that will explain why one group survived and the other didn't..."

As Lt. Brown continued to argue the merits of returning to PP4-937 based on the 'need to know' what had happened to the people who once lived there, O'Neill leaned toward Carter and whispered loudly. " A bit 'Danielesque' isn't she?" Carter couldn't help but smile as she answered. "More than you know Colonel. She has a tendency to...wander." O'Neill straightened in his chair again, "Oh...wonderful. Keep a leash on her Carter." Sam smiled, "Yes, sir."

Lt. Brown had not stopped expounding on the importance of studying this particular site in more detail. Jack simply sat back and let her ramble... 'She sounds just like Danny when he found something that excited him...which was any and every 'rock' he came across.' Hammond interrupted Jack's musings, as he regained control of the discussion.

"Well, Colonel, recommendations?"

Colonel O'Neill studied each team member as he carefully, worded his response. "I'm no expert when it comes to this archeology stuff but, I'm guessing maybe the Naquada supply ran out... which meant the only resource left on the planet that would interest the snakeheads...would be the people." General Hammond was nodding his head in agreement. Jack continued, "Sir, I recommend a research team return to PP4-937 to assess Naquada levels and the viability of mining the mineral...and Lt. Brown could play with the...'rocks'...to her hearts content."

"Thank you, Colonel. SG-1, in forty-eight hours you have a go to return to PP4-937 in order to proceed with researching possibilities of Naquada mining. Dismissed. Colonel O'Neill, Major Carter please join me in my office." General Hammond led the way knowing he would have to draw on all his powers of persuasion, if his high energy second was going to agree with the plan that was in store for him.

O'Neill pushed away from the large oak table, taking advantage of the casters and swiveling capabilities of the comfortable conference chair. He thought about bouncing to his feet...briefly...before visions of more time in the infirmary brought some sense careening into his mind. He dutifully retrieved his cane and cautiously stood, making certain his knee was in proper alignment. SG-1 did not miss the look of determination on his face, as they watched their former CO negotiate the chairs next to his own. Jack looked up to find himself the center of everyone's attention, "What's wrong? Haven't you ever seen an old man with a cane before?" There was an edge of anger to his voice; it spoke volumes to those who knew him all too well. The newest members of the team stumbled over themselves to apologize, "N-no sir, um...yes sir. Excuse us sir." "Relax Jameson, I'm not here to take anyone's head off. In fact I really haven't had the chance to tell you two what a fine job you did back on P57...3...something. Jameson you wouldn't have a wall of trophies at home for track and field, would you?"

"As a matter of fact sir, I do. State Champ hundred yard dash, and cross country, three consecutive years, sir." Jameson stood a little taller under the glance of approval coming from the Colonel. "Glad you were with us, none of us would have made it back to the gate without your early warning." "Thank you sir." Jack turned to the other 'new' team member. "Lt. Brown you remind me of one Daniel Jackson...DON'T...WANDER...OFF! Do I make myself clear, Lieutenant?" Her eyes widened, whether it was from the compliment at being compared to Dr. Jackson, or the reprimand issued by Colonel O'Neill, it was hard to say.

"Carry on kids, I've kept Hammond waiting long enough."

Jack made his way toward the open door. As he passed Teal'c and Ferretti, he inclined his head in the direction of Major Carter where she waited in front of the General's office. "Keep an eye on her...just don't let her catch you doing it." Ferretti smiled, knowing how offended the major would be if she thought, anyone was questioning her abilities. "Don't worry Jack, I feel safer under her command than I ever did under yours." The jibe elicited the response Ferretti was looking for, and he ducked to the left as Jack feigned a jab to the junior officer's chin. "Watch it Louis, I can still take you down in three, knee or no knee." Jack took his offered hand in a firm shake of friendship and thanks. "Yes, sir."

Major Carter watched as her CO, (she refused to think of him as anything but), made his way toward the General's office. "Finished holding Teal'c and Ferretti accountable for my safety, sir?" He looked up with appreciation at his second in command. "Can't sneak anything past you can I Carter?" "Not yet, sir." He held his arm out indicating she should enter the general's office. "Ladies first, Major." "Thank you sir." Sam gave a firm rap on Hammond's open door.

"Come in Major, Colonel. Have a seat." O'Neill made his way toward the chair on the far side of Hammond's desk, leaving the chair closer to the door for Major Carter. "Thank you, General." As his two best officers made themselves comfortable, Hammond tried to decide the best approach to take in opening the topic of discussion. He knew it was going to require some fancy conversing to convince Colonel Jack O'Neill to accept the offer being extended by the President. "Well, Colonel, thank you for your input during SG-1's debrief, I knew I could count on your expertise to ask the questions we had all, so far, overlooked."

Jack turned to look at his 2IC then returned his gaze to their Commanding Officer. " With all due respect sir...and in fairness to Major Carter, it was merely a matter of timing on my part. I have no doubt the same questions were on the tip of the Major's tongue." Out of the corner of his eye, Jack caught Carter's smile as she bowed her head slightly, finding her fingernails in sudden need of examination. "In fact sir, I would bet next month's pay that the Major deliberately left out a few details in her debrief just to give me the opportunity to participate." Sam's head snapped up as she heard the Colonel's tone of voice, it had a level of loathing to it. As her eyes met his, she could quite clearly read the message, 'Don't pity me.' She quickly returned her eyes to her lap, keeping in mind how difficult the past few months had been on the Colonel.

The exchange was not missed by Hammond, who decided a bucket of cold water thrown on the Colonel, would probably be of benefit. "Colonel O'Neill regardless of timing, I asked your opinion and as is to be expected you had the answers I was looking for. I am not discounting Major Carter's contribution. Her assessment, as you so eloquently put it, paralleled your own. Be that as it may I am not going to overlook your individual worth to this program." Hammond could see Jack's mind whirling, trying to peg the reason for this conversation and the 'stacked' debrief. There was no reason in trying to slide this past him...a snowball had a better chance surviving Netu. "Jack, while I was waiting for you, I received a report from Dr. Fraiser concerning your recovery and prognosis." Hammond paused a moment as he saw a cloud deepen across Jack's face.

"Really? What did our dear doctor have to say, sir?" His features were all innocence but as Major Carter noticed, his eyes gave away his true reaction. They darkened a shade and froze in an unseeing glare. "Dr. Fraiser mentioned you had already come to the same conclusion as her test results, Colonel. The question I have for you now is, how do you feel about it?" General Hammond leaned forward in his chair, resting his elbows on his desk, in an attempt to show his concern and sincerity.

"How do I feel about what...sir?" Jack was not quite ready to be dragged into this reality. In fact he will probably be kicking and screaming for a while yet. Then again, why waste everyone's time. "Oh...you mean the fact that I won't be going through the gate again anytime soon...as in not until a bright light comes for me...is that what you mean, sir?" They say putting your fears into words make them seem less...frightening. It apparently holds true for Jack O'Neill. His entire being suddenly, started to visibly relax.

General Hammond sighed a silent breath of relief, his job just got easier. With a small smile he answered the rhetorical question, "Yes Jack, how do you feel about not going through the gate again."

Jack paused briefly, hazarding a glance toward Sam more afraid of the pity he was sure he would see in her eyes. He was stunned to find her bright blue eyes meeting his and finding only admiration and respect. "I hate it...but I'll find a way to live with it. Hey...bright side is I don't need my knee to go fishing. I guess I'll have plenty of time to go fishing..."

"Actually Colonel, not as much as you might think." Hammond decided to take the plunge. "Excuse Me, sir?" The double take on the Colonel's face was absolutely, classic, Carter had a hard time not bursting out laughing. "I say something funny, Carter?" "No, sir. Of course not, sir."

For the first time today, General Hammond was enjoying watching the inter-action between these two professionals. "Colonel O'Neill, I have a favor to ask of you." Jack's attention was drawn back to his CO. "Am I safe in assuming I should say...'certainly sir, anything, sir'...or should I reserve my answer until after you ask me, sir?" Hammond chuckled a loud. "That's up to you Jack, I'd better add though, the President seems to think it is a good idea." O'Neill's hairs on the back of his neck began that tingle he knew all too well, "...As in 'orders cut', and on their way kind of favor, sir?" "Yes, son that would be the kind." The General did not hesitate in filling Jack in on his future with the SGC.

"Jack, I am due to retire thirty days from today. Our friend Major Davis at the Pentagon is being groomed to take over Command, eventually. In the mean time, the SGC is in need of an interim Commanding Officer. The President and I feel you are the man for the job." Hammond and Carter watched as Jack burst aloud with a laugh that would have made a hyena proud.

"Whoo...ey! General in all the years we have served together..." Jack was having a hard time breathing in between the laughter, talking was almost impossible. "...That is the best joke you have ever..." He realized neither the General, nor Major Carter, were joining him in the fun. Jack sobered up fast, "General you can't be serious." He watched Hammond's head slowly nod in affirmation. "Ah fer cryin' out loud, George, I can't fly a desk. I'm no good at what you do...I don't have the patience. And the politics...don't even go there..." Hammond simply sat back, with his hands interlaced and resting lightly on his barrel chest, allowing the Colonel to vent, confident he would eventually run out of steam. 'At least he's keeping the language clean.'

Jack turned to Major Carter, "Carter, help me out here...you know how itchy I get stayin' in one place for long." Sam dropped her head slightly to hide the smile she couldn't resist. "Sorry, Colonel, I'm afraid I can't help you, sir." Jack awkwardly climbed to his feet and began pacing the General's office as best he could. "Thanks a lot, Major."

Hammond gave his 2IC another minute to calm himself. He watched with amusement as Jack's face lit up with the solution. "General, did I mention my letter of resignation is in my office...I'll be right back ..." Hammond shook his head, "Sorry Colonel, not an option." "Excuse me, sir? Are you saying you won't accept my resignation?" "That is correct Colonel O'Neill, actually the President and I are in total agreement, you are the man the SGC needs right now." Jack could see Hammond was not going to budge, but he couldn't resist trying once more. "General, I'm a cripple fer cryin' out loud. What good am I to this Command?"

"Colonel O'Neill you have nearly eight years of experience with the Stargate, not to mention the innumerable encounters with alien cultures, both good and bad. This facility has succeeded as long as it has due in great part to you and your team. Frankly, Jack, the President would be making a grave error in not insisting upon you as interim CO. Thankfully, the Pentagon learned its lesson after that fiasco with General Bauer. They can be assured of earth's safety with you guarding the gate, and they know it. Now, next order of business..."

Jack stood dumb founded, 'This has to be a joke.' He looked to Carter for some sign that the General was anything but serious, nothing. Then he looked longingly to the closed door, willing it to fly open exposing Teal'c with a wide grin and a declaration of, "April Fools, O'Neill." pouring from his lips. His wishful, thinking was brought to a halt as he registered what the General was saying.

"...The promotion ceremony will be held in the Gate room in two weeks time." "Whoa, what promotion...sir?" Hammond smiled patiently, " At what point did I lose you Colonel?" "...Huh? Oh, just after 'I have a favor to ask'...I think." The General was beginning to tire of the Colonel's attempt at seeming incompetent. "As I was saying, along with command you will be receiving a promotion to Brigadier General...save it Colonel, objections are not being entertained on this subject any longer today. Major Carter, due to the exemplary job you have been doing as CO of SG-1, you will be given permanent command of the team, with a promotion to Lt. Colonel. We will make the promotion official during the same ceremony as soon to be General O'Neill's." Hammond took pleasure in seeing Jack cringe under the title. He stood and rounded the front of his desk. "Congratulations, Colonel Carter, you have become a fine team leader." Carter accepted the paternal hug the General offered. "Thank you, sir. I learned from the best, sir." Jack squirmed again under the praise sent his direction, and nodded his approval of her promotion. Hammond then took Jack's hand in a firm shake of respect and friendship. "Indeed, you did, Colonel Carter, indeed you did." "Ah, fer cryin' out loud."

******************

"General O'Neill, sir we have an unscheduled incoming wormhole." Sgt. Siler was aware of the General standing near his right shoulder. " Thank you, Siler...I never would have guessed what all the claxons were blaring for." Siler hid a slight grin, this was routine banter between the two of them, "Yes, sir." "Alright, who's out and who's not suppose to be home yet?" Sgt. Siler knew the question was stated merely for the General to hear his own voice; one thing that had always impressed Siler about Jack O'Neill was his interest and ability to keep track of every SG team. Even when he had the responsibilities of General Hammond's 2IC and CO of SG-1, then Colonel, O'Neill made it his business to know who was where, and when.

Now six months into his role as base Commander, General O'Neill was even more concerned about his people than he had been before. "SG teams 1, 5, 8 and 12 are currently off world, none of them are due back for at least twenty-four hours, sir."

"Fer cryin' out loud. Doesn't anyone carry a watch with them anymore? Cummings, get Doc Fraiser up here." 'Now I know why George always got his shorts in a bunch when we came home early.' Jack had not realized he was holding his breath until he heard Siler call out, "Receiving SG-1's IDC, sir." The color drained from his face, "Crap, Carter your team had better be in one piece...open the iris." O'Neill left the control room to make his way down the flight of stairs toward the gate room. He was still in need of the use of his cane and found it extremely frustrating trying to hurry, knowing one false step would land him in the infirmary again.

O'Neill arrived at the bottom of the ramp just as Teal'c immerged from the event horizon, his arms laden with the still, and obviously badly injured form of Lt. Col. Carter. "What happened?" As Jack demanded details, Dr. Fraiser pushed past him to examine her long time friend. "General O'Neill, I regret to inform you we were attacked, by a strong contingent of Jaffa whose presence was unknown to us. ColonelCarter has received some grave injuries. MajorFerretti, and Lt.Jameson are also injured, though not as severely." Teal'c delivered his report as he, under the direction of Dr. Fraiser, gently placed his injured CO, and friend, on an awaiting gurney.

O'Neill ran a hand through his short gray hair. "Can't you guys stay out of trouble? This was suppose to be a routine sample survey...Ferretti, how you doin'?" Jack inquired of SG-1's second in command. "I'm good, sir." Ferretti's injuries seemed minor compared to Carter's. "Jameson, how about you?" Jack nodded in the direction of the young Lieutenant. "I could be better, sir, starting to feel a bit shocky." O'Neill reached out a steadying hand, "Take it easy son, Doc Fraiser will have a look at you in just a minute. Teal'c why don't you help these guys down to the infirmary." Teal'c merely inclined his head in agreement, taking the elbow of Lt. Jameson and guiding him through the blast doors toward the waiting medical personnel.
Jack turned to Dr. Fraiser, who was shouting orders to the med team working on Carter. "Get that I.V. line going now, I want a trachea tube...come on people...Frankie, get Dr. Warner in OR, we have a collapsed lung, extensive internal bleeding, staff burns...she's lost a lot of blood..." Janet looked up to meet the eyes of General O'Neill, understanding the unspoken question. "Sir, I don't know yet." Then she turned and quickly followed the gurney that carried her friend. He remained at the bottom of the gate ramp, trying to control the anger, and fear, that welled inside him. 'Why can't those damn snake heads just leave us alone for once?'

As base Commander, he no longer enjoyed the luxury of being able to pace the hall outside the OR, waiting for word on an injured team member. There were too many other people, besides SG-1 that he was directly responsible for. He made his way back to his office, 'How did Hammond manage not to show his preference for one team over another...I know SG-1 was his favorite, he told me we were...but how did he remain neutral...and sane?'

Jack found enough mission reports to keep him busy, waiting for the call from Doc Fraiser to say Carter was out of surgery, when the call came he hustled to the infirmary in record time. As he approached, Dr. Fraiser ushered him into her office. He looked over his shoulder to see Carter hooked up to every machine imaginable. A breathing tube was secured to the sides of her mouth with medical tape; he knew where the rest of it went. Jack gave an involuntary shudder as he swallowed hard trying to clear his own throat.

"Janet?" The first thing Jack noticed was how tired Fraiser looked...not a good sign. "General, It really isn't as bad as it looks. She is stabilized...though not quite out of the woods yet. There is always the possibility of infection. She is in need of a little help breathing... in another six hours, barring complications she should be able to do without the tube, we will let Sam decide that. Her injuries, though extensive, are not as deep as I first feared. She did have a lung collapse due to a protruding rib. I'm guessing the blast deflected off her right side enough to fracture the rib, and as she fell it was redirected into her lung." Fraiser paused to allow General O'Neill the opportunity to absorb the information she had just given him.

"She's going to be alright...right?" The look of concern on his face had not changed. "Yes, Jack, she is going to be alright. I anticipate she will be ready for light duty in a few weeks." The relief washing over her CO was visible. Janet smiled, reaching out to touch his arm. "Why don't you sit with her for a while. I'll be by shortly to check on her." O'Neill gave his CMO a grateful smile. "Thanks Doc, I think I'll do that."

Jack pulled up one of the plastic molded chairs, making himself as comfortable as possible. 'Note to me...get better chairs in here.' He watched intently as Carter's chest rose and fell in time with the machine that was breathing for her. While Jack quietly watched her sleep he was reminded how fragile Sam really could be. Seven years ago she came across as tough as nails, stating she could handle anything he could handle...well she was wrong. There was no doubt in his mind that she was the stronger, and more tolerant, of the two when it came to sitting by waiting for each other to recover from a mission gone wrong.

He hated seeing her like this. Hated worrying, and waiting, trying to make sense of what they did and why they continued to take the risks they did, and lately wondering how much longer he was going to be a part of it all. 'Damn, if I had been out there, maybe this wouldn't have happened.' "It would have made no difference had you been with us. You could not have known of the Jaffa awaiting us." Teal'c's strong deep voice startled the pensive General.

"Teal'c, don't do that! In fact...how do you do that?" Jack twisted in his chair to look over his shoulder, acknowledging the presence of the former First Prime. Teal'c raised a brow and inclined his head slightly to one side. "To what are you referring, GeneralO'Neill." Jack stood as his friend approached, "You know what I mean...reading my mind." "It is not difficult." Jack looked at the Jaffa, trying to decide if Teal'c was serious. "Excuse me? What do you mean by that, exactly?"

"It is obvious to anyone, who knows you as I do, O'Neill. Your thoughts and concerns for CololnelCarter, or any of the SG teams, are strong and personal. You take responsibility for the actions of your own people...and the actions of our enemy. It is not possible for you to accompany and watch over every SG Team as you would like to." Teal'c paused and turned his head toward his CO. "Will ColonelCarter recover sufficiently?"

Jack followed Teal'c's gaze, "Yeah, Fraiser says she'll be fine...just needs time. Teal'c...thanks." With a nod of his head Teal'c quietly stated, "You are welcome, O'Neill."

******************

Sam smiled as she unwrapped the seashells her niece had carefully collected for her. They had had such a good time at the beach. The past two weeks had been so relaxing, she was grateful again to General O'Neill for insisting she take leave and actually leave the base. She knew the forced leave time stemmed from her most recent 'close-call', nearly six months ago. The General had made it mandatory for all personnel to get well away from their place of work, find friends or family, to visit, and have a good time for at least a week, every six months. That was in addition to the downtime they were handed on a regular basis. Rumor had it people were fighting at the Pentagon for transfers to 'Club SGC'. General O'Neill had laughed when he had heard that one. 'Obviously they have no clue what they have to do... during the first six months!'

Sam had tried to wriggle out of her scheduled leave, due to the recuperation time she had already taken. O'Neill actually threatened her with a court martial if she dared cancel her trip to San Diego. Her smile broadened as she carefully unpacked the souvenir she had brought back for him. It had required a special shipping crate to ensure its safe arrival. Thankfully, she had flown military standby, she never would have been allowed to carry the item on any other airline. She was certain he was going to like it. The side trip to San Francisco had been worth it, if only to have found the replica of the cane used by the legendary, Bat Masterson. Made of the same ebony wood with exquisitely carved silver tip and knob. As with the original, there was a foil concealed within the cane. 'Yep, he's going to like it.' Her hands stroked the length of the cane as she pictured dapper Jack O'Neill in his Dress Blues with his 'formal' walking cane.

The firm knock on her front door interrupted her thoughts. Sam glanced at her watch...2030hrs, she wasn't expecting anyone, and the fact that she was back a day early, no one she knew should be expecting her to be home. Cautious by default, Sam looked through the peephole in her door. A chuckle escaped her lips as she found herself staring into a curious brown eye. She opened the door to greet her visitor. "General, sir, how are you?"

Jack O'Neill paused for a moment before answering, "Jack."

Sam frowned slightly, "Excuse me, sir?"

"J-A-C-K, Jack... it's my name."

"Yes sir, I know it's your name." Sam began to wonder if the General had suffered a head injury while she was gone, then again maybe he had had one beer too many...

He stood there smiling that half smile, watching her brain work a thousand miles a minute, trying to figure out what was going on. He was enjoying knowing something his, 'way smarter than I am, or ever will be', Lt.Colonel/Doctor, didn't...yet. "No 'sir'...just Jack. Mind if I come in...or would you rather continue standing in the doorway imitating a fish out of water."

Sam quickly closed her, apparently gaping, mouth and moved to one side, allowing Jack to enter her home. She suddenly switched to autopilot, leading the way while navigating her hallway and living room.

"So, Sam how was your vacation...Mark and the kids doing ok?"

Sam turned to face him as they reached the center of the room. "They are fine, thank you for asking. Is there something I can help you with General, I'm still on leave but if there is a problem I'd be willing to come in..."

"Ahh!" He held up his hand in the familiar gesture of 'Stop!' "I told you...just Jack."

Sam was brought up short, "O-Kaay...Jack...is this a social call then?"

He stood in the middle of her living room tapping his cane on the rug, one hand shoved in his pocket. "Yeah, you could call it that...though not many people would classify me as 'social'." Jack was wearing one of his best poker faces, watching with a studied calm as Sam wrestled with the possibilities of his visit.

Sam was at a loss as to why her CO was insisting she address him by his first name...not that she minded...it just made it that much harder to keep things professional. They had agreed after the Zatarc incident that they would not risk each other's careers or put themselves ahead of the Stargate program. It meant their personal feelings for one another had been, and would be, put on hold until...Sam suddenly realized why her CO had turned up on her doorstep.

"You did it." It was more of a statement than a question. "You retired."

"Yep." Jack's smile would have lit up the room if the lights had not already been on.

" I don't believe it." Sam was at a loss. She knew this day would come, but why now. She wasn't ready.

"Believe it...Davis received his promotion and command two days ago. Sorry we couldn't wait for you. Verdine flew out personally...you know what a stick in the mud he is. Anyhow, he was on his way to meet with Senator Clifford...remember him, chairman of 'Homeland Security.' I guess when you're as busy as Verdine is..." Jack's voice trailed off into silence as he watched the play of emotions cross Carter's face. "...Hey, you ok?"

"You'll be missed." Her voice was quiet, almost introspective.

"Really? By who?" Jack took a few steps closing the gap between them.

"Whom..."

"Ok...whom shall I be missed by?" Jack had paused in his journey toward her.

"Everyone..."

"Anyone specific come to mind?" He stood within arms reach of the woman who had been off limits to him...until now.

Sam Carter had always been able to hold her emotions in check. Especially, the ones with Jack O'Neill's name on them, she had too. She stood transfixed by the warm brown eyes that held her. "Me...I'll miss you."

"Really?"

"Yeah, really."

Jack gently touched Sam's cheek. " Good job we're such close friends then, huh...'cause we can always go fishing."

Sam felt herself lean into his caress, "I'd like that."

Jack smiled drawing Sam into his arms, finally allowed to hold the woman he loved...and she agreed to go fishing! Some days just couldn't get better.

Finis

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to DJ Boyd