Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Why Is Christmas Merry Again?

by Dena
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Why is Christmas merry again?

Why is Christmas merry again?

by Dena

Title: Why is Christmas merry again?
Author: Dena
Email: natalieverrydt@hotmail.com
Category: Romance, Holiday
Pairing: Sam/Jack
Spoilers: Nemesis, Small Victories
Season: any
Rating: PG
Content Warnings: none
Status: Completed
Summary: Christmas Eve at the SGC isn't quite going the way some people would like it to go.
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. We have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the authors. Not to be archived without permission of the authors.
Author's notes: Nice try Co but next time try a little harder on the beta-reading! Thanks Sarah for saving the day! This one is one for the lonely hearts out there.

Why is Christmas merry again?

*Colonel O'Neill*

"Well people before you go there's one more question I would like to ask you." "What's that General?" "Well Colonel I know that you're anxious to go home for the Christmas holiday's but ..." "But what?" Carter shimmed in. "But I'm afraid I'm going to have to ask that at least one of you stays at the base tonight, since I'm offically representing the SGC at the Presidents Christmas party." "Okay, I'll stay." "No sir that's OK I'll stay." "Carter, I'm staying and that's final. You go home celebrate Christmas and if you miss me too much you are allowed to come and check on me tomorrow. Okay?" "But ..." "Ahh, no buts Carter. You're going home now! Besides when is Dad arriving?" "He's not coming Sir, that's what I've been trying to tell you for the past few minutes, only ... "I wouldn't listen?" "You wouldn't listen to me." I could see how she was rather unhappy with the way this conversation was going, but she quickly stashed away those feeling, covering them with neutral ones. "Dad's not coming?" "Nope, that's why I think it should be me who stays here. It's not like anybody is waiting for me at home anyway." "What about Mark?" "He has to go to this fancy dinner party at his in-laws so ..." "So you're still going home, and that's final!" "Yes sir."

I could tell she really wasn't happy with my order, but god, when was the last time she had actually seen her house? She definitely deserved some time off. As for me, I would rather spend my Christmas here in an abandoned facility then at my house where all the memories of past Christmas's would only haunt me. "Well then, I wish you all a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year ... and God Bless people. I'll see you in a couple of days." "The same to you General. And by all means have fun at the 'Presidents Christmas party'." "Thank you Colonel. You know the drill, and please take care of my facility." "Ouch , that hurts George, you know I always take care of her when you're on a 'business trip'." "I'm well aware of that son, but if you'll excuse me I have an Airforce One to catch." "Did you just say Airforce One? As in the Presidents personal airplane!?" "Yes! You know I would have sent you to the party but considering you find these 'parties' so boring I thought I might just go myself."

"Ahh crap!"

"Excuse me?"

"Nothing, just go, have fun, see you soon, gotta go!"

"Major, Dr Jackson."

"Have fun Sir."

"Thank you Major."

With the General out of the room I could finally ask my team what their plans for the holiday's were going to be. If they aren't too busy I might even ask them to join me for a fishing trip. 'Jesus Jack, you actually think that they would want to spend the holidays 'fishing' ?' "So what are you people going to do this particular vacation?" "I'm leaving for the Land of Light in a few hours and I shall not return until the end of my leave O'Neill." "Well that's great Teal'c, what about you Danny-boy?" "I'm going to Abydos actually, I have some catching up to do with some family of mine." "Good for you ! Oh by the way tell them I said hi!" "I will Jack, well my Gate is leaving in ten minutes so I really have to get ready. See you next week. Merry Christmas guys and you too Sam." "Bye Daniel." "So that brings me to you Carter, any plans?" "Not really. I'll probably end up here catching up on some of our latest findings. Mind me asking what you're plans are?" "Well I was planning on going to the lake, you know catching up on some ... fish. Nothing big." "It's winter sir, are you sure that's the right season for fishing?" Is she making fun of me? I'll make you pay for that Sammie! "Why don't you come with me?"

Just a casual question from friend to friend, nothing wrong with that. Oh God please say yes! Please, please, please!!!! I hope she doesn't read minds or else I'm screwed. "That's really sweet sir, but I think I have to decline." "Why?" "Well for one Dad might stop around any day now and I have a lot of work to do so ..." Well that was the lamest excuse I've ever heard, but maybe it's just better this way. "Okay, no sweat! Well then I'll see you all in a week." I stand, indicating that this meeting is over and that everybody is free to go home. When I've almost reached the door I hear her coming after me. "Sir?" "Yes Major?" God does she have to do this 'every time' I invite her for a fishing trip, which she 'always' declines anyway? "Merry Christmas Sir!" "Thanks Carter!" I try to sound as cheerful as possible but right now that just ain't possible. Too many bad memories. ___________________________________________________________________________

*Major Carter*

Once again I declined an offer to a fishing trip and with that excuse. Even I didn't buy it for cryin' out loud! 'Dad might stop by', God who are you fooling girl, he's on a mission and you know it. Well what's new, I've sent him walking with lame excuses before! "How is it that I end up here every Christmas crying my heart out because I'm all alone? This is getting really old girl! But what am I to do about it, it's not like anybody would want to date a science-talking nerd like me." 'Selfpity, this has gone way to far Samantha Carter, get a grip on yourself. I wonder why people call Christmas merry, I sure haven't noticed it. All it does is remind me of all the good times I had with my mother and those memories don't come and go without leaving pain in my heart. Well I got what I wanted didn't I, a job I love and people around me that actually 'care' for me. Love you Mom!' "Lets see what we can do to enjoy ourself with until next Christmas." 'Ohh Naquada-reactor, ..., naahh to boring. What else have we got here. Okay I've got it, why don't I upgrade the defence system, now that the gate isn't operative I finally might be able to upgrade the iris. Good thinking girl, that's the spirit!' Taking my computer and some other stuff, or doohickeys as Jack likes to call them, I start to make my way to the gate-room. First and probably the only obstacle considering everybody went home, the Colonels office.

'Have to slip past the Colonels office, that won't be a biggy, managed to do that for the past 3 Christmas'. Okay, piece of cake, Iris here I come!

I stand there a few minutes in awe as I take in the round form of the Gate. 'God it's so long since I've actually 'looked' at the Stargate. Sure I've looked at it but not the way I'm looking at it now. I always think of the Gate as a piece of technology that's capable of transporting matter to the other end of the galaxy, but I never look at it as a piece of art, which it surely is. Enough of the melancholy girl, get this show on the road before the Colonel finds out what your up too.' As I start to work I suddenly notice that I'm hungry, but I put that feeling away rapidly because there's always time for food later. 'Janet should hear me saying this, she'd confine me to the infirmary until she's sure I've eaten enough for the next two weeks. But she isnt here so ...' After a few hours of working on the Gate itself I make my way up to the control room to make some modifications there too.I seat myself in a comfy chair in front of the computer and start to work on some of the defence programs. I could feel sleep taking over my body after 5 hours of intendly staring at the screen but I wasn't going to give up that easily.'Just a few more minutes and then you're finished. Then you can go to bed but 'not' before this mess is sorted out. You hear me Samantha Carter, just a few more minutes!' Suddenly the Gate started to come to life. Incoming wormhole, Incoming wormhole the intercome anounced. Fully awake again I start working to find out who's coming trough the wormhole. 'Maybe it's just dad, or maybe not.' Suddenly I'm aware of someone standing behind me. "Carter what the hell are you doing here, I thought I ordered you home!" "Well sometimes I tend to disobey orders sir." "I'll get you for this later, now what's going on here?" "Incoming wormhole sir and no Iriscode." "Dad?" "I don't think so, he would have send his code by now!" "Your right, close the iris!" "Right with ya sir!" Just as I closed the Iris a particle beam started to hit it. "Shit, that's Heru'ur knocking at the Gate, we have to warn the General. We're in way over our heads Carter!" "Not so fast Colonel!" "Excuse me!! We're under heavy attack here and your advice is to relax! What happened to the Carter that panicked the last time we were in this situation?" "She modified the gate's iris this evening so that something like this shouldn't be able to bug us anymore, and besides I did 'not' panic thank you very much!" "You did what?" "I placed some conductors on the iris that are capturing the energy from the particle beam and are redirecting it to the main powersource of this facility. Normally the energy would cause the iris to heat up but now she should be able to hold an attack like this, ..., easily." "And when exactly did you do this Carter?" "I started on it after debriefing and I was just finishing off when the attack started." "Now 'that's' what I call timing! So is this thingy of yours working?" "So far so good Colonel." "How much longer before the Gate shuts down on its own?" "15 minutes Sir." Seating himself next to me I notice how he's holding his breath and staring intently at the Gate. "What if they do break through? It's been a while since he last tried to do this, who knows what sort of improvements he could of made to the...beam...thing." "Then we're screwed sir!" "Lets not think about that then. How much longer?''

"5 mintes sir."

"Looks like we're going to make it."

"Sir would you please shut up, I'm trying to prevent a disaster here!" "I thought you said you had it covered?" "Let me just explain this to you in English. This new 'thingy' is only installed a few hours ago and hasn't been tested yet, at this point 'anything' might happen, Sir." "Ok. I'm shutting up." Once more he's holding his breath and staring intently towards the Gate. "30 seconds, 29, 28, ..." "Come on you can do it baby!" Looking at him with shock he notices my gaze. "I didn't mean you, I ...I meant the Iris."he defends himself. "I knew that Colonel." Ok that was akward, and boy did I wish he 'was' refering to me. "How ..." "2, 1, shutting down Sir." I slump down in my chair with relief as I see that the Gate hasn't been affected in any way by its torture of the past 30 minutes and that she hasn't reopened from the other side. 'Looks like they got the message!' With the stress gone I feel the need to sleep coming back. Sitting there in front of the computer looking at the finest piece of technology this planet has, I just realise this is going to be as good as it gets. Fully content now I close my eyes. The next thing I know I'm being pulled out of my chair and swung up in somebody's arms. Opening my eyes I look directly in the ones of the Colonel. He's smiling like a madman and swinging me around. "I lied Sammie, I did mean you!" he yells. Putting me down on my feet, I feel like he's still swinging me around and I lose my balance for a second. He quickly grabs me and steadies me with those strong arms of his. "I did mean you Sam, you pulled it off 'again'!" His tone was soft and sincere and I felt like his eyes were drilling their way into my soul. "I don't know what to say besides that I did it again didn't I? you know save the world and all? Is that getting old or what!" "Yeah, but sweety, you did it again. I'm so proud of you, you know!" "Thanks!" That really means a lot to me when it comes from him. Our speech has reached the volume of a wisper and our eyes are still locked in this total gridlock. I feel his hands reaching up to my face and then he leans in to softly place a kiss on my cheek. 'Oh you're not going to get away like this O'neill!' I turn my head a little so that his intended kiss on the cheek lands fully on my lips. After the first surprise is gone the kiss gets more passionate and more intimate. When we break apart he just swings me up in his arms again and starts to walk to his quarters. When we arrive there he places me on the bed and cuddles in beside me. I spoon up against his body and let out a soft breath I didn't know I was holding.

"Merry Christmas Sammie."

'God I love to hear him say that.'

"Merry Christmas to you too Jack."

And then I fall asleep, just content that next Christmas will be a lot Merrier for two people at the SGC.

___________________________________The end__________________________________

Feedback yes please!!!

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Dena