Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Disappearance III

by Dena
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Disappearance III

Disappearance III

by Dena

Title: Disappearance III
Author: Dena
E-mail: natalieverrydt@hotmail.com
Status: Part no 3 (follow-up in progress)
Category: Sam/Jack romance, angst
Spoilers: none
Sequel/Season info: no particular season
Rating: PG
Content warnings: none
Summary: Sam and Jack end up stranded on an alien planet with a lot of problems on their hands. Will they be strong enough, emotionally and physically, to be able to finish their journey?
Disclaimer: Stargate Sg-1 and its characters are the property of Stargate (II) Productions, Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. This story is for entertainment purposes only and no money exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author. This story may not be posted elsewhere without the consent of the author.

Disappearance III

*Colonel O'Neill*

When we neared the exit of the cave, Quentin stopped me and showed me a small boat at the end of the path that was leading down the slope.

"That is our destination O'Neill."

"Looks nice ... yours?"

"This is not the time for these kind of questions. Now back to the task at hand, although the road doesn't seem all that far, it is a very dangerous phase in your escape. They are already searching for you in this area, so we must hurry, but at the same time, remain unseen. Stay behind me. If I say run, you run, if I say stop, you stop in an instant, understood?"

"Yes 'sir'!"

"Now that that's clear we can proceed. Follow me"

Slowly we made our way down the path. Both of us were on edge. Every movement, every sound was registered in my brain. Suddenly Quentin stopped dead in his tracks and I nearly bumped into him. He lowered himself on his knees and I, remembering his earlier comment, quickly followed him. I must say I admire him, all this time he had been carrying Sam in his arms and even now he didn't even put her on the ground. With his head he made a motion in the direction of the danger. Looking in that direction I spotted two armed men coming in our direction. 'OK, 'not' good, definitely not good.' I quickly grabbed the two zats in my bag and handed one to Quentin. At first he looked kind of puzzled but then he understood my intentions so we quickly hid at either side of the road. Keeping eye contact we waited tensely until the two men who were obviously looking for us, were in zat range. At my mark both of us fired at the two men and before they could cry for help they were already on the ground. Emerging from the trees, Quentin took a good look at the zatgun.

"A most powerful weapon O'Neill!"

"I know, that's why we carry it, in case we should run in to some nasty Goa'uld."

"It seems to cause the victim great pain?"

"Indeed and belief me I 'know'. Now do you think we can proceed? Because as far as I can see Sam isn't doing too good. Oh, and one other thing, be careful around the boat, if they could find this godforsaken path I'm pretty much sure that they've covered the boat, so check your sides before you make a move."

"I will, ..., and also I believe that 'I' am in charge of this, at least I was last time I checked."

"Sorry, nasty habit of mine. Now can we move Almighty Master?"

"Yes, my humble slave."

'I really am gonna like this guy...he even appreciates my jokes.'

Before we resumed our path I zatted the two men who were lying on the ground twice more. When they vanished into thin air Quentin looked at me like I was a God or something. When he recovered from what he just saw he gave me the face, which meant 'was it real what I just saw happening or was it just my really active imagination?'.

"Just to make sure we don't leave any trails behind. Leaving two dead guys on the path is like hanging out a sign saying 'We're here!!'.

"A powerful and very convenient weapon for our escape. You think I can have one?"

"Like you said Quentin 'not now'. We have more pressing matters."

The rest of the road was quiet, except for Sam's sudden outburst of pain.

"We must hurry O'Neill she keeps getting worse, her body is in terrible pain."

Taking a good look at my 2IC I saw something I had never seen before. The pain that wrecked her body every once in a while left her totally out of it. Traces of pain were visible all over her face. I removed a strand of hair that stuck to her forehead.

"Hold on Sam we're almost there. Just hold on for that old Colonel of yours."

Quentin looked at me with concern written all over his face.

"I need to get to the medical supplies on my ship in the next half-hour or she won't make it."

"How much longer do you think before we are at the ship?"

"Too long."

Seeing the expression on my face he quickly added he was sorry.

"Look here's what we're going to do. I'm going to the boat on my own. Take whatever you need and come back before she gets any worse."

"O'Neill, that is pure suicide. You can't go there alone. They'll catch you and take you back to the facility, that way you won't be any good to Sam."

"I'm military and I know what my odds are, but I can live with that, I just wish you could too. Please...for Sam's sake?"

"Alright, the medicines are in the cabin under the bed. Now go!"

"Here, I heard you always wanted to have one of these."

Handing him the zatgun I ran of towards the boat. After about 500 meters I entered an opening. In order to reach the boat I had to cross the clearing. Trying to go around it would take me at least 15 minutes. 'So across it is!'. Spotting the two men who were walking on the boat I dived back into cover. When the men disappeared behind the cabin I started to run to the boat, weapon at the ready. When I was almost halfway one of the men emerged from behind the cabin and spotted me. He reached for his weapon and I heard him fire at me. Spirals of sand were whirling up around me. 'He really needs some target practice'.

Just then he started firing in the right direction, missing me by just a few inches. 'Ok, he's done practicing.' Grabbing my zat I took a good aim and shot him twice. As I reached the boat the other man came right in my direction. Oblivious to his friend he ran right over him and fell face forward on deck. After shooting him twice I made my way quickly towards the cabin. I didn't see a bed but after a good look I noticed a ladder going below decks. Descending it I entered a large room with a table and some chairs, obviously the diner. Looking around the room I spotted a door leading to another room. Looking trough the door I finally saw the bed, reaching under it I could feel a box under my hand. Sliding it from under the bed I just took it and started to make my way out of the ship and back towards Quentin and Sam. When I reached the main deck of the ship I saw Quentin, with Sam in his hands, run towards the ship. He was still a good jog away but I could already hear him scream for me to untie the ropes that kept the boat from floating away. Putting the box on deck I ran down and started undoing several ropes, after a few curses I finally managed to get them untied and threw them on the boats deck. When I was finished Quentin and Sam had also reached the boat. The three of us got on board and Quentin got Sam immediately into the cabin, quickly followed by me carrying the box. Quentin took the box from me and took out a bottle. He filled a needle with the bottle's liquid and injected Sam with it.

"O'Neill get her below deck right now, we have to get out of here before the back-up arrives."

"Alright, be careful!"

With that Quentin made his way up on deck and after a few minutes I could feel the ship move silently with the motion of the waves. Picking up Sam I took her below decks and put her in the bed. 'King size bed, he doesn't only have a good humor he also has good taste.' I put a blanket over her and made sure she was comfortable when another twist of agony made her jump upright.

"Sam, Sam are you OK?"

"Sir?" Her voice was weak and barely audible. I gently put her back on the bed and placed the covers over her once again.

"I'm right here...how are you doing?"

"Hurts...badly" She replied weakly.

"I know Sam, I know."

________________________________________________________________________

*SGC*

"Incoming wormhole!"

"We're receiving SG3's code, General."

"Open the iris!"

As soon as the iris opened, Daniel and Teal'c and the rest of the teams that had joined them stepped trough the event horizon. General Hammond's heart sank when he didn't notice a certain Colonel and Major step trough.

"Welcome back. We debrief in ten."

"Yes Sir!"

All the men, except for Daniel, cleared the room. Standing there all alone he stared at the Stargate silently cursing it for taking away everyone he ever loved.

"My prayers are with you Sam, be alive and well, ..., and with you Jack, take care of her!"

Up in the control room General Hammond heard Daniel's words and his heart sank even lower. 'This is going to be one painful briefing.'

Exactly ten minutes after their arrival SG3 and 7, Daniel and Teal'c entered the briefing room, each taking their favorite seat.

"Well people, what have you got for me?"

Daniel, taking point as usual, started talking about what Hanrelk had told them about the whereabouts of Sam and Jack.

After about two hours Hammond agreed on sending word to all allies with spacecrafts. When everyone started to leave the room Hammond stopped Daniel and lead him into his private office.

"Sit down Dr. Jackson."

"Thank you General."

"Look I'm just gonna cut to the chase. I heard what you said when you were in the Gateroom. Is there something that you're not telling me Dr. Jackson?"

"No, I'm just worried that's all."

"Are you sure because you seemed out of your element in the briefing?"

"Yeah I'm sure."

"Ok...look I know this is hard on you, but look at it from my side. Within the next 24 hours I'm going to have one very pissed father in this office beating the shit out of me because I couldn't keep his little girl safe!"

"I know, this is going to be hard on Jacob, just now that he and Sam started to get along again."

"Daniel I'd like you to be here when Jacob gets here, I think it's better that he hears the news from someone who was there when all this mess started."

"Thanks General that's just what I needed, another guy who's gonna use me as punching bag when he hears I couldn't save or find his daughter."

"You know what I mean son...and by all means you shouldn't feel guilty at all because everything that happened was out of your control, I think Jacob will understand that as well."

"I'm gonna miss them!" He blurted it out when the General least expected it.

"Me too, Daniel. Colonel O'Neill may have on occasions been a pain in the ass but he sure is one hell of a good 2IC and the Major...well she's like a daughter to me."

"I know the feeling, Sam was the sister I never had and Jack...Jack is the best friend I have ever had. I couldn't even in a million years ask for a better one."

"Well I think it's a good thing they won't be gone for more then six months or shorter when we can get to them sooner, which we will. I promise!"

"Well I haven't seen Janet yet, so do you mind if I go have my physical and clean up a little before we face the devil?"

"Of course, I'll send someone when Jacob arrives."

Standing up from his chair he gave the General a slight nod and strode towards the door. Coming to the door he turned around and made sure the General was still watching him.

"Thank you Sir, I think I needed this conversation."

"You're welcome son, you're welcome, but ..., you're not out of the woods yet. Now go and have Dr. Frasier check you over so that I at least have a fit punching ball to offer to Jacob."

"Yes Sir." He left the office with a smirk and headed of towards the infirmary where another person was anxiously waiting for his arrival for all the details on her closest friends.

________________________________________________________________________

*Samantha Carter*

'The pain was the worst part, every inch of my body ached and I didn't even have to do anything for them to hurt like that. Slipping into unconsciouseness was the best part because then I didn't feel the pain anymore and I could face the world again. Every time I woke up Jack would be near me, ready to get me trough another round of pain with his soothing words. He really got me trough it every time. He was the one reason I kept fighting all of this.' Once more I felt myself being lifted to consciousness. When I opened my eyes the first thing I saw was of course Jack. His head lay on the bed and his arms were sprawled over me. I remained in the same position so not to wake him but my efforts were in vain as he was already awake.

"Sam, you're awake!"

"Hmmm, ..." Speaking was very painful so I kept it to a minimum.

He grabbed some pills and a glass of water from the bedside-table and made me swallow the pills. Whatever they were, I don't know, but they worked and that was the only thing that mattered to me at the moment. When I was finished he placed the glass back on the table and took a damp cloth from it, placing it on my forehead.

"Feels good?" He asked me.

"Yeah." I couldn't believe that the croaky voice was actually mine.

"Feel any pain?"

"Nope."

He looked at me with disbelief in his eyes so I gave him a little smile to let know I was okay.

"Why is the room moving?"

"We're on a boat, have been for about a week now. Quentin is taking really good care of you, he's the one who actually invented the medication against the Semptek-virus.

"Is that what I have?" She asked hesitantly.

After a moment of silence he silently nodded his head. His whole body radiated a sudden sadness that nobody would be able to miss and neither did I.

"Jack?"

"It's deadly Sam...I nearly lost you. If it hadn't been for Quentin you would be dead by now." It was merely a whisper, but somehow I managed to understand every word he spoke. Jack lowered his head and clasped his hands together and proceeded in putting them in his lap. Taking my own hand I put it on his and squeezed them a little, to let him know that I was still there.

"But you didn't Sir, you didn't lose me...I'm still here."

Looking up into my face I could see the lines of grief carving his face.

"I'm a fighter...at least that's what Janet tells me!"

My attempt at humor failed miserably, but it still provoked a small smile on his face.

Every time I used my voice, my throat would protest and this was no different. My speech ended in a round of violent coughing. Jack slowly moved me onto my side and rubbed my back as he had done so many times before. When I was finally done coughing he put me upright and handed me the glass of water, which I gladly emptied. Putting it back on the table, I closed my eyes and let my muscles relax for a minute. When I opened my eyes again I saw Jack staring at me.

"What?"

"I almost lost you!"

"I know...you mentioned it before and it's like I said, you didn't!"

"Thank God I didn't, I don't know what I would do without you." He looked so sincere that my arms almost automatically went up to pull him into a long and warming hug.

"Thank you for not giving up on me." He whispered in my ear.

" Your welcome." I answered.

________________________________________________________________________

*Janet Frasier*

'From the first moment Sam mentioned the mission to P3X-509 I started to have this strange feeling. When only Daniel and Teal'c came back trough the Gate I knew that something was wrong. My instincts had been correct. The first thing that popped up in my mind was a messy encounter with the Goa'uld which resulted in Sam and Jack being captured, or even worse killed. But neither Daniel nor Teal'c bore any signs that they had been engaged in a fight of some sort. When I heard from a member of SG3 what had happened it came as some sort of a shock to me. My best friend was missing. At first I couldn't even believe it, it was as if I was having a bad dream and would wake up in the end. But I never woke up, because it wasn't a dream, it was harsh reality. I still cherished hope that somehow Sam would find a way back. Hell, she 'always' found a way back. The permission from General Hammond to let them return and even send SG teams 3 and 7 with them, showed that he too hadn't lost hope yet.

After a few hours of constant worry, they returned without Sam and Jack and with some very disturbing news. I cursed a few times and then gladly checked out SG3 and 7, that way I could at least for a while take my mind off of my friends. I heard from some airman that Daniel was in a private meeting with the General. Knowing that I couldn't close my infirmary before he was checked out I sat back in my comfy chair and let my thoughts wonder back to when I first met Jack and Sam. Just then Daniel strode into my office.

"Hey Doc."

"Hey Daniel." My voice didn't reach its usual tone of happiness and neither did his.

"I suppose the guys already told you what happened?"

"Yeah, short version though. Care to tell me the whole story?"

"Sure, talking to someone other than Jacob might even prove to be good for my health."

"Jacob's coming?"

"Yeah. Guess who got the honors to tell him what has happened to his daughter?"

"Poor you!"

"Yep, I suggest you keep the OR open for me in case he goes for the violent approach."

"Will do...but I don't think he's gonna use violence on you. I think he'll want to preserve his strength for the Tok'ra High Council."

"I certainly hope so Janet or else you'll have to be able to puzzle me back into one piece."

"Now 'that's' what I call a challenge!"

"Oh, you wish!"

"It was your idea!"

"It was a figure of speech Janet!"

A small smile appeared on my face, but that actually happened a lot when Daniel was around. That's why I love talking to him, he makes me smile. And for a split second he could also make me forget my worries. He's the 'only' person who has ever been able to do just that.

_______________________________________________________________________

*Colonel O'Neill*

The first week has been a hell. Sam didn't even wake up once, only when the pain was too severe but then she would lapse back into her unconscious state because of it being too severe. All I could do was wait and comfort her when she needed it, although I doubt the fact that she ever heard a word of what I said. When she finally woke up last week I totally lost it. I couldn't stop staring at her like she was some kind of a ghost. She was only awake for a few hours and in those few hours I learned that she 'had' heard my soothing words and that she actually appreciated them. This last week she has been in an out of consciousness. By even though she could stay with me for more than 4 hours at the time, but she was still in a lot of pain and that was one of the things that worried me. Just a minute ago she had an attack. It subsided after a few seconds but she had lost consciousness again. So now I'm sitting here again in my usual chair next to her bed, waiting for her to wake up again. The long hours near her bed had also taken its toll on me so I felt myself dose of in, once again, an uncomfortable position. Just then Quentin decided to enter the room for Sam's daily check-up.

"Jack? Jack are you awake?"

Opening my eyes again and pushing the fatigue away I faced him.

"Quentin! Yeah I'm awake."

"How is she?"

"She's been awake for 4 hours but she still is in a lot of pain. Your drugs don't seem to do the trick anymore."

"I was afraid that that would happen, but I don't know what to do about it. Normally she should be fighting this thing on her own, but something in her system seems to be delaying the healing process."

"Can't you increase the dose or something?"

"No, not without harming the baby."

"...Excuse me?"

"What?"

"Can you please repeat that last word?"

"What."

"Nooo, you idiot, that other last word!"

"Baby?"

"Yes, that one!"

"What about it?"

"Why did you say 'that' word?"

"Baby?"

"Oh for cryin' out loud yeeeesss!"

"Because she carries an unborn child."

"No she doesn't!"

"Yes she does!"

"No she doesn't!"

"Yes she does!"

"Ok fine, but I have known Sam a 'whole lot' longer then 'you' have and 'if', and I do say 'if', she were pregnant she would tell 'me' and definitely 'not' you!"

"What if she doesn't know it herself then she wouldn't be able to tell anyone, now would she?"

"Guess not."

"Aha!"

"Yeah, yeah, you got a point there, 'but'..."

"I knew there was a but coming!"

"Will you just shut up!"

"Okay, Okay!"

"Shit were was I...oh yeah, 'but' how come you know, if she doesn't know herself?"

"Because I'm a physician...and because Incaro told me."

"Incaro told you, that clears up a lot, now doesn't it."

"Does it?"

"No, it doesn't. Ok now just wait a minute! How does he know? If you're such a know-it-all then why don't you tell me that!"

"Because he performed the operation."

"Operation? As in cut someone open and do stuff to their intestines?"

"Not quite correct but at lack for a better explanation, yes."

"Okay, are you just saying that to get of the hook here and blame Incaro, or are you telling me the truth? Oh and one more thing, I 'hate' surprises so you better tell me 'everything'!"

"I 'am' telling you the truth Jack, I swear, and please don't blame Incaro for this. He was forced to do the tests."

"Fine, I'm not blaming him, but I 'am' blaming you for not telling me this sooner."

"Take it easy Jack, I was under the impression Incaro told you."

"Well, guess what, he didn't!"

"I can see that now."

"So how did this happen? And no more holding back Quentin or I will be forced to hurt you!"

"Well...they're working on an experiment ..."

"Who's they?"

"Incaro and his team of scientists. Now let me finish will you!"

"Fine!"

"So, the experiment. It's about genetic enhancement. They were working on a gene that causes premature birth with a whole lot of Beloga women. They've been able to enhance it somehow and now they needed to test it on someone, someone other than an animal. So then you two came along trough the Stone Ring and 'some' thought that you two would be perfect guinea pigs. They took a sample of your DNA and some of Sam's. They applied their technique on the gene in question and then implanted the embryo with Sam. That is how she got pregnant with your child, ..., honest."

"My child?"

"Yes your child Jack."

Talk about a shock. I stumbled back to my chair next to Sam's bed. Looking in the direction of Sam I normally would have been confronted with the image of an unconscious woman, but this time I looked directly into two baby-blue eyes, filled with shock, disbelief and most of all tears.

"Sam?"

She was just staring at Quentin and I, when finally the tears started to fall.

"Oh God! Jack?"

She was totally lost. I knew that the one thing she wanted to do right now, was duck under the bed or run away. Because neither was an option, I just held her end let her cry. I comforted her and she comforted me.

______________________TO BE CONTINUED__________________________________

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Dena