Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Charlie 1: The Beginning

by Demon Faith
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Charlie

Charlie

by Demon Faith

TITLE: Charlie
AUTHOR: Demon Faith
EMAIL: rosabeth@hotmail.com
CATEGORY: Romance, angst, drama
SPOILERS: Seth, Hathor, Out of Mind 2, The Gamekeeper, Thor's Chariot, Cold Lazarus. Maybourne and Sha're are mentioned.
SEASON / SEQUEL: After Season 3 sometime
RATING: PG-13
CONTENT WARNINGS: Violence, quite graphic stuff
SUMMARY: When Daniel goes missing, all Sam's screts are revealed...
STATUS: Completed
DISCLAIMER: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. We have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the authors. Not to be archived without permission of the authors.
AUTHOR'S NOTES: For a start, Charlie IS NOT Jack's son (as seen in "Cold Lazurus) so just remember that! Keep an open mind with this story, however wierd it gets. Written for my good Stargate friends, Steph, Debbie and Mike!

Stargate Command. The first line of defence for Earth, though very few people were aware of it. And SG1 was the best in the SGC. Quite surprising really, considering SG1 wasn't exactly your regular USAF team. Sure, it had your typical Colonel in command and his 2IC was an Airforce Major. But the other two members were...slightly unusual. Dr Daniel Jackson, their rather accident-prone archaeologist/anthropologist/linguist, who Jack thought was more trouble then he was worth, and Teal'c, an alien to Earth with an even stranger alien housed in his stomach, which just happened to be Earth's deadliest enemy. Not your run-of-the-mill team but

the best, none the less. The very best.

~

"We have a problem people."

Oh for crying out loud! As if they didn't know that already. Why would General Hammond call a meeting if there were no problem? Jack rolled his eyes at the absurdity of the statement.

"We just got a bomb warning from Colorado Springs. The new terrorist group, that Doctor Jackson was tracking, have threatened to blow up Colorado Springs."

So, make that a big problem. Jack looked round at the assortment of Marines and Airman who were listening. Then he noticed something. Where was Carter?

"We believe these terrorists to be part of a Gourld cult, similar to the one discovered in Seattle by SG1. This theory is now proved, as the terrorists' warning was issued in Ancient Egyptian. We have been asked to head down to Colorado Springs with the intent of capturing members of this cult and helping clear up the mess this bomb is going to make."

Jack rolled his eyes again. What a cracked plan!

"General, when is this bomb going to go off?"

Well, had to be polite about it, unless he wanted a court martial.

"In less than ten minutes."

Smash! Everyone turned to see Sam Carter standing in the doorway, a slow expression of horror spreading across her face. Her coffee cup lay in shattered pieces, with the thick brown liquid running across the floor.

"Daniel..."

She dropped her notes and ran.

~

Colorado Springs looked great. It had changed much since Daniel had been there last. SG1 didn't get much downtime so shopping was a welcome relief. Not that he would usually spend his day-off shopping but it was Sam's birthday soon and he wanted to get her something nice. Something special. He smiled to himself, drifting off into his dream world. He jumped when his cell phone started ringing. Who on earth would be calling him? He pulled the phone out of his pocket and thumbed the switch.

"Daniel?"

Sam! Why was Sam calling him? She had only seen him an hour ago.

"Yeah Sam. What is it?"

"Where are you Daniel?"

"In town, Sam. Colorado Springs."

"Where in town?"

"The dead end. Why?"

Daniel heard Sam utter a strangled cry.

"Sam! What is it?"

He could hear her breathing heavily and he could only make out one word.

"Run..."

Bang! Daniel flew across the square, pain coursing through him. The mobile was flung from his hand and landed a few metres away. Daniel closed his eyes tight and thought of Sam.

"Daniel?"

And the great statue fell.

~

SG1 burst through the swing doors. Well, what was left of SG1. They were covered in blood, rubble and dust and looked like hell. Sam ran over to the desk, her eyes red and slightly swollen.

"Have you had a...Daniel Jackson in?"

She finally managed to stutter her request. The young receptionist smiled weakly and checked her list. Nope, no Daniel Jackson.

"I'm sorry. He hasn't been admitted."

Much to the girl's surprise, Sam breathed a sigh of relief. Not admitted. At least that was better than dead.

"Thank you for your help."

Sam trudged over to the others, leaving murky imprints on the floor. There had been no deaths from the bomb blast. Mostly minor injuries. The bomb had been planted beside a statue in a pretty deserted place in town. Maybe Daniel had just dropped his mobile in his panic. Daniel could get easily panicked.

"He's not here."

Jack and Teal'c looked a little startled.

"MIA?"

"Let's hope not, sir."

Jack smiled tightly as they went back out of the doors.

~

"Argh!"

Daniel woke up screaming. This was not real, this was not real; oh please let it not be real! The pain was unbearable, stabbing, heart-wrenching pain. The statue had landed on him and, by all rights, he shouldn't be alive. And how he wished he wasn't.

"You are awake, my Beloved."

Oh God no! She was dead, how could she be here! Jack had killed her, hadn't he? He opened his eyes and saw her. Oh please no!

"We are happy to see you. You will remain with Us for many years."

Damned Gourld! Couldn't they just learn how to die? Couldn't he die?

"You're...dead."

The amount of effort needed to form those two words drained him totally. He felt a needle prick his skin but the pain was barely noticeable. He felt a rush of relief but the pain soon took over again.

"We will never die! All Gourld are cloned, my Beloved. The Tau'ri shall never terminate Us!"

Oh great! That was all he needed. Millions of Apophis', Heru'ers and Hathors, all against Earth. The thought was unbearable. As was the pain. And he couldn't escape it. Ever.

~

"Still no word?"

Janet shook her head sadly. Sam slumped in her chair and Teal'c began to pace. Jack stared out of the window, fingering a photograph. Janet hated to see them like this, so lost and vulnerable. They were at Jack's house because it was nearest to the hospital, in case they had to go there. Heaven forbid that they should have to!

"SG1?"

They all looked up as General Hammond came in, his face attempting to be neutral, his eyes betraying all. Wordlessly, he held out his hand. Sam burst into tears and Janet rushed to comfort her. Jack stared at the object, begging it to change into something else. Teal'c looked sorrowful.

It was a cell phone.

Daniel's cell phone.

~

After a few minutes, when Sam had calmed down, they had started the questions.

"Where was it found, General?"

General Hammond swallowed.

"Beside the fallen statue."

Sam shrieked and burst into tears again, before uttering her question.

"Did they...find a...body?"

General Hammond shook his head. Sam suddenly straightened up.

"Then, he might not be dead."

Her words were clear and steady, a new hope found, a theory discounted. Her confidence was infectious and the room brightened considerably. They all stood up and left the room.

~

Daniel was trying so hard not to scream. His body cried out in pain but he tried not to react, give HER the satisfaction.

"Tell Us the information, my Beloved, and We will cure you and you will live with

Us forever."

Some reward; living with HER, with IT, forever! Nice try!

"Ne...ver."

Hathor flung her Zat in rage, taking out a couple of Jaffa in the process. Daniel almost smiled at their comical expressions. Almost. He tried to hold one thought, one truth above all. They would rescue him. However unlikely, they would rescue him. Unless...they thought he was dead! His heart sunk in despair, struggling to survive, to hope.

~

"Was Daniel carrying anything...traceable?"

Sam considered her own question, desperately searching for something to find him by.

"Yes!"

They all swung round to face the Colonel, who was practically bursting with excitement. Then his face became one of unease, as if re-evaluating his information. Or plotting.

"Well...I kinda...bugged him."

Teal'c raised an eyebrow but Sam clapped her hands in delight.

"You bugged him? I'm hoping you mean tracking device."

Jack produced a half-smile.

"Well, Space Monkey seems to get himself lost, kidnapped or injured an abnormal amount of times, I figured we needed a Danny-detector."

Jack shrugged and then pulled a little rectangular device from his pocket. It was a standard display, with screen and speaker and one unmistakable frequency. Sam grabbed it out of his hands and took it to the targeting computer. Not that they wanted to shoot him, but it was the most accurate of their tracking devices. Sam plugged it into the monitor and tapped into a satellite.

"Got him!"

Everyone crowded round as she pointed to a little blinking dot in the middle of...Area 51!

"Damn Maybourne!"

Jack was ranting and raving now, betraying his hidden affection for their Daniel, their precious Daniel. The Colonel was muttering dozens of obscenities at Maybourne and, thankfully, General Hammond ignored it. Sam was worrying slightly.

"Um...what if they dumped the bug? They could've gone through the second Gate."

"Stop being pessimistic, Carter. And that's an order!"

Sam stifled a giggle and then totally sobered up, looking at the life monitor on the dot. Faint. Very faint.

"Colonel, where did you plant the bug?"

Jack smiled one of his most charming smiles, the one that said, "I beat Carter!"

"In his neck, under the skin with the angling camera disguised in a small lump."

"How did you plant that?"

"When we were off-world camping."

Immediately, both Sam and Teal'c raised a hand to their necks. Teal'c dropped his, satisfied but Sam fairly shrieked.

"You bugged me!"

Jack ducked a vicious blow from his 2IC, while trying not to laugh. Janet smiled. At least they had loosened up a bit. But it was short-lived. Sam turned on the camera...

~

Smash! Daniel cringed as yet another glass vase landed on his head, the sharp little pieces of glass digging into his skin. The enraged Goddess had kept this up for hours, throwing everything she could find at him so that she could get his information. Everything. This included meals, rotten fruit and even knives. They hurt the most. And she kept pumping him full of drugs, keeping him conscious and increasing the pain. He really couldn't take anymore. His vision was so blurred that he had no way of preparing for whatever she had next. The throwing had stopped but she was wheeling some kind of device over to him. He turned his head to look, even though it was painful. She pulled something from it and lowered it onto his chest...

~

The whole room was in horror at the pictures. Sam collapsed back against Jack, who wrapped his arms around her, as she cried for Daniel. Hathor was beside him now with a metal machine. She took a long coil of wire and placed it on top of Daniel. A bolt of electricity surged out of the wire and Daniel screamed. Sam's sobs became louder as the General switched off the monitor.

"Priority rescue people."

~

Sam, Jack and Teal'c sat around the coffee table, heads in hands. Sam was continuously crying and Jack had a hand on her shoulder, trying to stem the tide. Teal'c was trying to meditate but getting nowhere. Janet joined them and sat down next to Teal'c. Slowly her eyes began to water slightly and she leaned against Teal'c. Teal'c looked extremely startled but just laid a gentle hand over her, comforting her in his own quiet way.

"Um...Major Carter?"

Sam looked up with tear-stained eyes.

"Is this important, Airman?"

Jack scowled at the young soldier who looked duly frightened.

"Uh...yes, sir. There's a girl upstairs who requested to see her."

Sam stood up straight away and headed for the door. Jack stood up as well and followed her out. The airman took another look at Teal'c and Janet before leaving in utter confusion.

"Hey! Wait up!"

Sam turned to see her CO running down the corridor.

"Who's the girl?"

Sam just turned away and walked into the lift. Jack stood between the doors and squeezed himself in. Sam gave his a reproachful look but he shrugged it off. Sam rolled her eyes and sent the lift to the top of the mountain. They both stepped out and saw that it was raining. Wrapping her jacket tightly around her, Sam ran out into the rain, headed for the gates. Jack sighed and then followed her. Carter was obviously determined to make this difficult. Someone was standing with her back to them, wearing one of those long, brown, detective coats. The girl turned and Jack sucked in a breath. Oh wow! She was beautiful. Gorgeous tanned skin with black wavy hair curled round her face. She couldn't have been more than sixteen, about 5' 3". She was dressed in a tight, blue top with long black trousers. Her eyes lit up at seeing Sam and the Major gave the order to open the gate. When the marine protested, Carter froze him with a look and he opened the gate without question. The girl ran inside and enveloped Sam in a hug.

"Mum!"

~

"Mum?"

Jack's wide-mouthed goldfish impression made both women laugh. Sam had her arms round the girl and led her slowly into the building, Jack following wordlessly. They got down to sub-level 28, before Jack started stuttering about explanations but Sam just took the kid to the unofficially dubbed "mopery room". Sam swung the door open to reveal Janet sleeping peacefully in Teal'c's arms. She awoke at the sound of the door, and her eyes widened at the sight of the girl. Jack finally formed words.

"Carter, explain."

And, with that, he collapsed in a chair. Sam smiled and began her story...

It was Daniel's idea. He talked me into it. We were at his apartment and he pulled a photograph from his pocket. It was very creased and had worn white in places. I was overwhelmed. It was a picture of a young girl lying in a hospital bed in India. She was painfully thin and her eyes were dull and dusty. She looked desperate. Daniel told me he wanted to adopt her.

"But Sam, there's one problem," he said. I looked at him and he begged with his puppy-dog eyes, begging me to ask what.

"What is it?" I asked nervously. He took a deep breath.

"I need a marriage certificate..."

##You married Daniel!##

##Jack, let her continue.##

##Sorry, Janet.##

Yeah, well we got married. Nothing fancy, just a registry office.

##Ah-ha! That's why you both took leave.##

##Shut up Jack! Sam, please carry on.##

##Is it always like this, Mum?##

Pretty much. Anyway, we got married. Then we adopted her. She's been living with Daniel ever since.

"Some tale."

Jack mumbled. Sam smiled broadly.

"So Mum, where's Dad?"

Sam shifted nervously.

"There's a problem, Charlie."

Jack fairly exploded.

"Charlie! Why the hell is she called that?"

Janet stood up in Sam's defence.

"Hey don't jump to conclusions!"

"Actually, I was always called Charlie. Sorry if my name upsets you."

Her youthful face was creased in concern and Jack softened at her deep, brown eyes. Wow, she was lovely. She turned to Sam.

"What's the problem?"

"Hathor got him."

Jack exploded again.

"You told her! Well, that's just great!"

"Jack, she had a right to know where her parents disappeared every week."

Jack sat down, grumbling. He was just having a rough time dealing with this. Sam and Daniel were married and they had adopted a kid! And this kid was just so damned pretty. Daniel was going to kill him! Assuming they got him back. Jack immediately sobered up.

"Anyway, back to the plan."

Charlie raised her head, eyes alert with a slight current of electricity running through their dark centres. She looked dangerous. She probably was.

"What plan? And I thought Hathor was dead! You are going to save him, right?"

Jack suddenly woke up to the fact that her questions were aimed at him and that everyone was staring in his direction. He cleared his throat.

"Well, I think we should go and rescue him. Meanwhile, you should go home and..."

Charlie walked right up to him; so close he could feel her breath.

"I'm coming. I can't stay behind while Dad's out there. I just can't!"

The girl started to pace and Sam reached out a hand to stop her but she shook it off.

"I can shoot, you know. I won't hold you back."

Jack could feel himself nodding, wondering just how he was going to explain to General Hammond how yet another civilian had got involved with the SGC. Charlie looked him dead in the eye, staring him out. She was some force to be reckoned with. She reminded him of Daniel.

"Thank you, sir."

She nodded and Sam took her to change into some fatigues. Janet came up to him.

"I'm coming too, Colonel."

Jack lifted a hand to protest but she grasped it, scaring the hell out of him. Where was the world going?

"You'll need a medic."

Jack sighed, then nodded his assent. It seemed the whole damn base was conspiring against him. He shrugged it off and went to get ready.

~

"Tau'ri, tell me!"

Hathor screamed and shocked him again. The electricity ripped through him and he gasped. He had to die soon, didn't he? He was cut, bruised, fried and totally exhausted. Wasn't there a threshold, some point of no return? His only regret about dying would be leaving Sam and Charlie behind. His wife and child, one set of family he was determined not to fail. Hell, he'd never been a great husband, abandoning Sha're and letting Teal'c kill what remained of his poor dear wife. And Sam, well she didn't love him and he had let himself push her away. He couldn't let himself hurt her, or Charlie. He might as well die. He was an awful husband, and father. Sam and Charlie would get on much better without him.

And with these thoughts, Daniel slipped into blessed unconsciousness.

~

"Okay, guys ready to ship out."

His team looked great. Jack had been shocked, and slightly worried, at how well Charlie could hold a gun, how comfortable she looked with a weapon in her hand. He had tried asking Sam about it. She had pulled him to one side and told him that Charlie's real parents were both resistant fighters and had been killed on a raid. Charlie had barely survived but had learned many fighting techniques to keep herself alive. She was a tough kid, but still Jack disliked seeing the rifle in her arms. But he could also see how she wasn't to be dissuaded and he just had to accept this was her way and he would have to follow it. He could see how proud Sam was of her "daughter" and he was sure Daniel would be proud as well. Teal'c was ready with a rifle, as General Hammond wouldn't allow the use of Gourld weapons on planet. Sam was in typical Major-mode and even Janet had her gun out. She had strapped her medical supplies around her so that both her hands were at the ready. The General and Jack had considered letting Area 51 know about Hathor, but then decided it was too dangerous.

"Ready, sir."

Jack smothered a smile at how he finally had a military team who followed orders. Then he remembered how much of relief Daniel could be, a bubbling spring of life who, however subordinate, brought a new release of energy to every mission. Daniel could find wonder in every situation and pulled out all the stops to get it recognised. No amount of military precision could replace Daniel and Jack just had to get him back.

"Right, folks. To the chopper."

~

"Well, I see Area 51 is looking jolly today."

The building was easy to access. Thy walked through the front door! It appeared all the security features had been disabled. They all pressed against the wall as a Jaffa patrol went by.

"Ah, not good."

Charlie's face was set in a grim frown. Suddenly she passed her rifle to Sam and ran off.

"Where the hell is she going?"

Sam shrugged and Jack fished out his 'scope and looked round the corner. He couldn't see her anywhere. The Jaffa were standing still, listening. Jack smiled. There she was, hanging from the roof. He saw her give a standard military attack signal. He grinned and signalled to the others. They burst round the corridor corner and started shooting.

Charlie pressed herself even closer to the ceiling, hoping she wouldn't get shot. Suddenly the firing stopped. Jack came into view and her breath caught. There was more than admiration in his eyes and Charlie lost her grip. She started falling and landed right in Jack's arms.

"Hey, we got a spider-woman!"

Charlie smiled as he lowered her to the floor. Sam looked at her hands, which were wound in cloth strips, with little sucker pads attached to them.

"Wow, some toy."

Charlie smiled and slipped off the "sucker gloves", as the Colonel had officially named them.

"It was a real nice tactic, Charlie, but I don't want any more 'bravado' without permission, okay?"

"Yes, sir."

Charlie gave him a jaunty salute and Sam clasped a hand to her mouth. Jack didn't know what to say. It was the first time since...since...well, since he'd been with Sara! Oh dear, surely he didn't feel that way? Sam dragged Charlie off and the rest followed.

~

Finally, thought Jack. They were near Daniel's location now and Charlie was given door duty. She had started to protest but Jack gave her a look and she stayed behind. The rest moved slowly through the door. To find a massacre.

"Welcome to my kingdom, Tau'ri!"

Hathor looked happy to be there, in the midst of such destruction.

"Oh God!"

Jack turned to Sam and saw tears pricking her eyes. She pointed wordlessly to the wall. Daniel! His clothes were covered in blood and his handsome face was bruised and blood-streaked. He was chained to the wall, left to die. They were all so caught up in the sight of Daniel that no one saw Hathor raise her hand...

~

"Damn!"

Jack sat straight up, brushing his headache aside. Th rest of the team was already up and going, testing their prison. That's everyone except Sam, who was sitting in the corner, and Charlie, who was strangely absent. Charlie! Where the hell was she? If Hathor had hurt her... Jack caught himself. He was totally in defence of a girl he had just met and even he knew that it wasn't just because she was Daniel's kid. She had impressed him, gone beyond his expectations. She also had him mesmerised. She was graceful, spunky and had an air of wisdom, experience no kid should have. She had seen her parents die, only to lose another one? Not if Jack had anything to do with it. He stood up and inspected his team. They were all there. Where exactly was 'there'?

"Location?"

Teal'c looked up.

"We appear to be in Area 51's brig."

"Ah."

Jack patrolled the brig, rapping various spots with his knuckles.

"Yikes!"

He drew his hand away quickly and pressed it to his chest. Sam stood up to inspect his hand.

"Laser burn, sir."

Jack put on his most sarcastic grin and rubbed his hand, trying to hide the pain spiking through his hand. Oh this was just great! They had come to rescue Daniel and had been captured instead! Sometimes it was just laughable!

~

Uh-oh! Great, they had been captured! Charlie tried not to cry. Daniel was still hanging from the wall, dying. Charlie blinked her eyes hard, trying to stop the tears. Mum and Dad said it was all right to cry but Charlie had to focus. She pulled herself together and slipped on her gloves. She jumped to the ceiling and made her way slowly into Hathor's chamber. She was going to pay for this! Charlie would make her pay. No one was going to take her family away again. With this determined thought, Charlie climbed higher onto the ceiling. The Egyptian "goddess" was inspecting Daniel, smiling with evil delight. Charlie pulled out her gun. It was the one her dad always used and she held it steady to aid him now. She fired. Hathor screamed and fell to the ground. Several Jaffa warriors came running and Charlie pressed herself to the ceiling, hoping they wouldn't spot her. They didn't, just picked up Hathor and left. Charlie dropped from the ceiling and went over to the wall where Daniel was chained. She couldn't reach him on her own. She ran to get Jack.

~

"So, how exactly do we get out of here?"

Sam glanced nervously at Janet, who stared back.

"Actually, we can't..."

"I don't want to hear that Major!"

Suddenly gunfire came from down the corridor, and the team went on alert, pressing themselves against the wall. There was return staff fire and someone shouted.

"Charlie!"

Sam called out but Jack clamped a hand over her mouth. More gunfire followed and then there was nothing. Everyone held their breath. Charlie staggered round the corner, holding a key. She slipped it into the lock and then collapsed. Jack reached out and caught her, leaning her gently against his chest.

"Hey, take it easy now!"

Janet was looking at a wound on her shoulder, ironically, Jack noticed, in the exact same place as Daniel was shot on Klorel's ship. Luckily, this didn't look half as bad.

"It's a graze. She's a lucky kid."

Charlie smiled weakly and tried to move away from Jack. She only made it a few steps before her knees gave way. Jack bent down and gave her a reproachful look, before scooping her up in his arms.

"We have...to get Dad. I...shot Hathor but...the Jaffa took her..."

Jack raised a finger to her lips, as the whole team moved out.

"All in good time, Charlie."

He bent over her, whispering.

"All in good time."

~

"Right, Charlie. Take my gun and shoot anything that moves."

Charlie nodded. Sam couldn't believe what she was seeing. Jack was taking Charlie with him! He wouldn't leave her behind and he wouldn't miss the fight. He had never shown stickability like that before, not even to his wife. Sam was feeling that Jack might be more sentimental than he let on. He started that attack signal sequence. He had it timed so perfectly that Sam could look away and still know exactly what stroke he was on. They all charged in. There was no one in the room.

"Clear field, people."

Only now did Jack pass Charlie to Teal'c, as he grabbed some rope from his pack. Sam was trying to help but she couldn't tear her eyes away from Daniel. He looked so pathetic, strung up like a criminal. Her eyes filled with fresh tears but her limbs found movement. She stood beneath the platform as the Colonel somehow made the wall slide. Daniel slowly moved down, finally reaching ground level. Sam and Janet ran forward. Sam took his head in her hands, muttering apologies, prayers and thanks all in the same breath. Jack unclamped his arms and legs. He fell onto Sam and she held him. Janet helped her lower him to the floor. Sam tried to wipe the blood from his face, hoping he would be okay. Janet was feeling up and down his spine.

"This is amazing..."

Sam turned to her.

"What is it Janet?"

"We worked out that he was actually crushed by the statue."

Jack made a face, thinking of the particularly horrible death of Daniel's parents.

"But there's no spinal damage whatsoever!"

Sam widened her eyes in surprise. No spinal damage at all. That was unheard of. All they could reason with was "divine intervention", probably of the Egyptian variety.

"Uh...Teal'c, I don't think I can carry Daniel."

Sam looked at the colonel sharply. He had always carried Daniel before. But this time, she suspected, he had other reasons. Namely one called Charlie. Teal'c wordlessly passed Charlie to Jack, and then picked up Daniel with a gentleness you wouldn't expect from a warrior. They headed back to the chopper.

~

"They'll both be fine."

The team smiled. General Hammond hadn't taken the news of Charlie particularly well but was coping with it. As for Jack, he couldn't get over the girl, never mind the added complications.

"Can we see them?"

Jack turned to Sam. This was her family, her husband and her daughter. Janet nodded and Sam fairly charged through the door, as if she was on a raid. Jack sauntered through, not wishing to look too enthusiastic. But inside, his heart was racing and he felt like...like...a kid in love. Jack blushed at that thought and pushed open the swing doors. He headed for Daniel first who looked really pale. He had bruises all over his young face and his hands shook slightly. Poor kid, thought Jack. He smiled one of his charming smiles and then went over to Charlie, who was sitting on the edge of a bed, swinging her legs. She looked up as he approached and smiled. Jack helped her down from the bed, accidentally swinging her into him. She blushed a deep crimson and backed off to see Daniel.

"Hey Dad!"

Daniel looked up at her voice and his eyes widened.

"Charlie! What are doing here?"

Charlie shifted nervously, but Sam nudged her and she began to stutter. Seeing her distress, Jack quickly stepped in.

"Smart kid you've got here, Danny. When you didn't come to see her, she figured something was up. Came down here all by herself and volunteered for a rescue mission. Ended up saving all of our butts."

Charlie lowered her head, blushing furiously. Daniel eyes went even wider.

"You know?"

Jack grinned.

"Oh yeah, good old Mrs Jackson here spilled the beans."

All the medical staff looked over and edged closer. Now it was Sam's turn to blush and even Daniel went slightly red.

"Well, um...means to end and all...just had to..."

Feeling his fun was up, Jack saved all their reputations.

"It's okay Danny. I'll forgive you."

Jack winked at Daniel and went to leave.

"Um...Colonel?"

Jack turned at Charlie's hesitant tone.

"Call me Jack, kid."

Sam's mouth fell open but she quickly snapped it shut. Even Janet looked up at that one and one of the medics dropped a syringe.

"Jack, I'd like to say thank you."

Jack looked deep into those dark brown eyes, communicating his every thought through his gaze. Then he turned to leave.

Sam and Daniel looked at each other knowingly, as Charlie stared after Jack.

Expect sequels, people! Charlie's going to be around for a while and I just love to play with SG1's fates. Watch this space!!!!

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Demon Faith