Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Charlie 4: Demon Within

by Demon Faith
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Charlie#4: Demon Within

Charlie#4: Demon Within

by Demon Faith

TITLE: Charlie#4: Demon Within
AUTHOR: Demon Faith
EMAIL: rosabeth@hotmail.com
CATEGORY: Romance, a little drama, Series, loadsa angst
SPOILERS: Quite a few but i can't remember them! You'll need all the 'charlie' series though!
SEASON / SEQUEL: A few days after 'The Dream'; a week after 'Revelations' and about a month after 'Charlie'
RATING: PG-13
CONTENT WARNINGS: Language (Jack at his finest!), a bit of violence but no sauce
SUMMARY: Charlie isn't quite herself...
STATUS: Completed
DISCLAIMER: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. We have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the authors. Not to be archived without permission of the authors. Charlie is mine. If you want her, please ask!
AUTHOR'S NOTES: This one took a while and unfortunately number 5 got posted before it! Number 6 has experienced a slight problem in the fact that it was almost finished, in all its 20-page glory, and my computer decided to delete it! Seeing as i don't have another copy, it will either be rewritten or replaced. At the moment, it looks like the latter! Enjoy!

Stargate Command. The first line of defence for Earth, though very few people were aware of it. And SG1 was the best in the SGC. Quite surprising really, considering SG1 wasn't exactly your regular USAF team. Sure, it had your typical Colonel in command and his 2IC was an Airforce Major. But the other two members were...slightly unusual. Dr Daniel Jackson, their rather accident-prone archaeologist/anthropologist/linguist, who Jack thought was more trouble then he was worth, and Teal'c, an alien to Earth with an even stranger alien housed in his stomach, which just happened to be Earth's deadliest enemy. Not your run-of-the-mill team but the best, none the less. The very best.

~

"Do you know how long it's been? A week! A whole week without a word! I can't live with this, Sam!"

Sam smiled. Daniel had been like this ever since Charlie went off world, just seven days ago. He was fussing like a mother hen!

"Daniel! Quit pacing, will ya?"

Daniel turned to her with a worried frown.

"But Sam..."

Sam stood up and gave him a hug.

"I know, Daniel. I know."

"Incoming Traveller..."

"Daniel!"

But he was gone.

~

Charlie stepped down the ramp, struggling to carry all the artefacts she had brought back. Her backpack was loaded and SG8 had their arms full of inscribed tablets, moulded pottery and intricate jewellery. Lieutenant Simmons rushed forward.

"Here, let me help with that."

"Oh thank you, Lieutenant."

"Graham, please."

Graham caught her eye and she blushed appreciatively. Then a hurricane whirled through the doors.

"Where have you been?"

Charlie allowed herself a smile as Daniel charged up to her and hugged her for all he was worth.

"Just digging, Dad. I brought back some stuff for you."

"Not more rocks! Haven't we got enough?"

Jack sauntered up, trying to look calm and detached, but Charlie could see the faint worry lines and dark shadows beneath his eyes.

"Shall we take this lot to your office, Charlie?"

"Sure thing, Bryan. Shove it on my desk."

"Bryan?"

Sam's voice came softly from her right. Charlie hadn't even noticed her.

"Hi Mum! Could you tell Dad to stop fussing?"

Sam laughed. Daniel was still hovering around, probing through all the artefacts on the pretence of study. Poor transparent Daniel! Well, he wasn't the only one. Graham and Bryan were at the door, waiting for Charlie to lead the way, although Sam was sure they'd memorised the route long ago. Charlie excused herself with a smile before diving off down the corridor. It was then that Sam noticed Jack. He stood perfectly still, staring after Charlie, and Sam was sure there were tears in his eyes. Slowly, he turned and walked away.

~

"I'd like to go back."

"I'll need to come too. You'll need my help."

Both Sam and Charlie sighed. Daniel should've been a bodyguard.

"How about we make it a field trip, sir?"

"You mean all of SG1?"

"And maybe a few others. This culture was quite advanced, sir. We may find something useful."

"With this many people off world, it may be prudent to assign Doctor Frasier to such a mission."

Everyone stared at Teal'c, who merely raised an eyebrow. He should take up poker.

"Well, alright then."

"What? To all of it?"

"I'm not sure about Doctor Frasier, Teal'c."

"It is your decision, General Hammond. We will call her when Daniel Jackson does himself injury."

The Briefing Room echoed with laughter. Daniel shot Teal'c a withering look but the Jaffa just ignored it.

"You leave tomorrow, people."

~

"Guess who?"

Soft hands, light aftershave, casual voice: Jack, of course!

"Um...Santa Claus?"

The hands moved gently down her body and she caught them playfully in her fingers.

"Not now, Jack."

Charlie turned slowly to face off her colonel, who was giving her an innocent stare. Uh-oh; he wanted something.

"What do you want?"

Jack lifted his hands in mock-denial, giving his face that damn irresistible look of charm.

"Alright, I'll knock off early."

Jack grinned like a schoolboy and took her hand. They walked together until they came to the unofficial 'SG1 room'. Jack strode in and then caught himself. Janet and Teal'c were standing in the middle of the room, locked in a passionate embrace. Sam and Daniel came up behind the dumbstruck couple, blocking the doorway completely. Eventually, everyone came to their senses and backed out of the room.

"You know, I really have to work."

Daniel took off down the corridor and Charlie shrugged, and followed him, leaving Sam and Jack standing in the corridor.

"Goodnight Carter."

"Goodnight sir."

~

Sam strode down the corridor, determined to find out where Daniel had got to. Jack met her outside the door.

"Chasing Charlie?"

"Nope, Daniel."

They both knocked on the door. After waiting a few minutes, they pushed it open. Both Daniel and Charlie were slumped over archaeology texts, coffee cups still clutched in their hands. With a sigh, Sam and Jack went over to their respective partners and gently shook them awake. Daniel murmured softly and Sam eased him into her arms until he was fully 'with it'. Jack kissed Charlie lightly on her forehead.

"Come on, Sleeping Beauty!"

"Oh, go away Jack!"

Charlie pulled herself up and pushed her glasses back up her nose. Daniel finally got his eyes open and Sam rearranged his glasses for him.

"What did I tell you about doing this?"

"You do it too!"

"Not as regularly as you do. You're gonna have a nervous breakdown one of these days. Come on, we have a mission!"

Grumbling, Daniel stood up and promptly fell back down.

"Oh Daniel; you're in no state to go anywhere!"

On the other side of the room, Charlie was in much the same situation. Jack slung her across his shoulder and Sam somehow managed to pick up Daniel. They headed for the infirmary.

~

"Overdose."

"What!"

Sam and Jack stared at Janet in astonishment.

"Caffeine?"

At least Sam was being sensible. Janet shook her head.

"Vallium."

"But that's a..."

"Sleeping tablet, I know. I'm just wondering why."

"Well, can we ask them?"

"Daniel's flat out but Charlie's awake. I'm not sure if you'll get much sense out of her, though."

Sam nodded and Jack was through those doors in a second. Daniel was swamped in machinery, looking even paler than usual. Sam was immediately by his side, lines of worry creasing her smooth skin. Jack went to Charlie's bedside, clasping her hand in his.

"Hey Jack. What's wrong with us?"

Charlie looked pretty 'with it' to him but her skin was tightly drawn across her face in pallor. Jack tried to put on his most jaunty smile but it came out as a weak grin.

"Sleeping tablet overdose. Now why would you be taking those?"

Charlie's eyes went wide in shock.

"I swear, Jack. We never took sleeping tablets. We were trying to keep awake! Dad said..."

"What did Daniel say, Charlie?"

"The sugar! He suddenly found a bowl in the cupboard. It didn't quite taste right but I just...fell asleep."

"Doc! We have the solution!"

Janet sighed wearily. What did Jack want now? She marched over, brandishing a syringe for effect.

"This had better be good, Colonel..."

"Check the sugar bowl in Daniel's office. I think you'll find your drugs."

"Colonel, are you implying that they were intentionally drugged?"

"Hey Charlie! How's it going?"

Graham strode into the infirmary, followed closely by Bryan from SG8. They were both carrying huge bunches of flowers. Jack stood up and moved over to Sam. She had her head in her hands, hair filtering out of her clenched fingers.

"Carter...?"

Sam looked up with tear-stained eyes.

"Oh sir...if Daniel doesn't wake up soon, he might not wake up..."

Fresh tears riveted down her face and Jack hugged her close to him. Charlie came over to see what all the fuss was about. She heard the conversation and smiled knowingly.

"What's the big deal? Are you guys blind?"

Jack and Sam both looked up as Charlie lifted her hand...and flicked Daniel on the nose!

"Ow!"

Daniel sat up; rubbing his nose, while the others just stared in astonishment, with the exception of Charlie, who had the biggest grin possible plastered across her face.

"Daniel!"

Daniel refused to meet Sam's eyes.

"Hey Sam."

"What's going on here...Daniel!"

Janet dropped her tray of supplies and her eyes widened in shock. Daniel tried to stand up; he made it to the floor and then promptly fell into Sam. She grabbed his arm to steady him and then guided him to a chair.

"So...um, Charlie? What did you do?"

"Er...well, you see...Dad was...well, pretending."

"Pretending! That damned archaeologist made us go into complete hysterics so he could get a laugh?"

Daniel stared at the floor as all eyes were fixed on him.

"So...are we going on this dig now?"

Everyone groaned.

~

"Special Envoy: you are cleared for departure."

Overall, there were ten people going: SG8 and Charlie already had the mission, Sg1 had invited themselves along and Robert Rothman, the even-geekier-than-Daniel archaeologist, insisted upon coming. SG8 went through the Gate first, Daniel pushed Robert through and SG1 followed behind. Charlie just made the horizon before the Gate closed.

She fell out of the other side. Jack helped her up out of the dirt and she brushed off her long white coat.

"Okay folks; set up the tents and get changed quickly. We have a lot of work to do."

It was amazing to watch a fifteen-year-old girl ordering around a bunch of fully-mature soldiers. Even more amazing was the fact that they listened!

"Changed?"

"Oh yeah Jack. Didn't you bring anything?"

"Were we s'posed to?"

"Unofficially, yes. Sorry about that! Didn't Dad tell you?"

"No; he didn't."

Jack shot Daniel an evil glare. He just laughed and handed Jack a bundle of gear. Muttering obscenities, Jack went to set up a tent.

~

While the others got changed, Teal'c and Jack scouted the terrain. It was nothing special, Abydos-class planet (lots of desert, not much else). Yet it possessed wonderful treasures, lost wonders of an ancient culture. Although he was loath to admit it, Jack had grown to like the whole "rocks" gig. Woe betide him if Daniel ever found out! The archaeologist would have a field day! They headed back to base camp, after finding nothing of interest. A few metres from the dig, Jack stopped in his tracks.

Ye Gods! The trenches surrounding the camp were already quite deep but that wasn't what had caught his eye. It was the clothes change. SG8 had swapped their fatigues for shorts and T-shirts. Meanwhile, Daniel was in a T-shirt and jeans and Sam had a simple red outfit, cut low and high. Then there was Charlie. She was wearing white shorts that came halfway up her thigh and a pale lilac top with a slit across the top. Her abundant curls were tightly pulled back into a high ponytail. No wonder SG8 were in awe of her and did exactly what they were told! Jack and Teal'c slipped into the trench.

"Where's Rothman?"

"He went back already! Couldn't stand the heat."

Jack flinched at her words. Part of the recurring nightmare he had experienced ever since she had left for this desert world. He brought himself back to reality. Her words made sense. Daniel was also looking a bit red but Teal'c was positively lapping up the sun. Charlie called across to the other trench.

"Found anything yet?"

Bryan hauled himself out of the trench and slid skilfully into the other. Jack envied the younger man, especially his ability to captivate Charlie.

"Only a few pottery shards. Could you come over and translate?"

"Sure thing! I'll just get my book."

Charlie vaulted out of the trench with ease, ignoring Jack's helping hand. She walked over to the tent, with Bryan's arm across her shoulder. Jack was smouldering with rage.

"Easy Jack. Don't spoil things now."

Daniel's voice was a soft murmur, barely audible but deafening against the silent background. Jack smiled weakly and took up a shovel. Might as well be useful, he thought. Charlie emerged from the tent, clutching her book. She leapt into the pit with Bryan and they sat down with the pottery. Jack watched jealously.

"Hmm...it looks like: This was laid in tribute to_"

"Anymore?"

"That's just it! There must be a missing fragment. Keep digging guys!"

Charlie swung herself out of the trench and tripped. She cried out and Jack and Bryan were beside her in a second.

"I'm alright, I'm alright! Get off me!"

She pushed the two men aside, rubbing at her hand. She felt around on the ground and pulled a shiny gold disc from the earth. It had a hieroglyphic stamped on it. Daniel had joined them by now and snatched the piece of gold from her hand.

"It's a hieroglyphic!"

"Yes, I know that Dad!"

"Looks like a pharaoh's seal..."

"This is the symbol of the Gourld you call Ra."

"Why, what do you call him?"

"The Feared One."

"Ah."

"Lighten up! We killed the bugger, didn't we?"

"Well, we did but Ra has lived for thousands of years. Who knows what he did to these people..."

"Well, why don't we find out?"

Everyone turned to Charlie, who just shrugged.

"We can do some recon, find out if there's a threat, then get back to the digging."

The soldiers amongst them looked doubtful but Charlie had Jack's support.

"Come on guys! It'll be fun!"

And the world moved at the bidding of a child

~

Charlie quickly organised them into teams of three.

"Right. Teal'c with Mum and Dad; Jack with..."

"I'll come with you, Charlie."

"Me too, ma'am."

Jack glared at Bryan who glared right back. Charlie sighed.

"Fine then; let's ship out!"

The teams all headed in different directions. Charlie and her self-appointed guardians headed for the mountain range, just south of base camp. Charlie was about to crack. All Jack and Bryan could talk about was various battles and engagements that they had prevailed in. Jealous fools! She knew who she was...in love with? A man she had barely known two seconds and she was in love? She had sworn she'd never do that! Filled with dreaded realisation, she just burst.

"Right! I'm taking this cliff; you go to the volcanoes. We're gonna absail these cliffs and get home for dinner! Now go!"

Charlie swung herself over the cliff edge and began to scale down the jagged front. She was quite fast; she had once been on an expedition to Nepal. You really learnt how to climb when trained soldiers were chasing you through the Himalayas. Charlie relied on her good co-ordination and lightning reflexes to get her down safely. Then something caught her eye.

"What do we have here?"

Bones; dry and brittle, yet relatively fresh. They looked...human. There were various ornaments and jewellery in and around the skeleton. This was no simple body. Then a symbol caught her eye. She leaned in for a closer look...

"Noooo!"

Something shot out at her and Charlie fell screaming from the cliff.

~

Charlie's screams echoed all over the plains. The soldiers ran for her location at a dead sprint. They found Bryan standing at the cliff edge.

"Jack's...gone after her!"

He was shaking uncontrollably but Sam would show him no mercy.

"What were you idiots thinking? Absailling without ropes? You're total fools! Teal'c, run to the Gate and get Janet. We'll need a team. Daniel; you're with me."

"Where are we going?"

Sam clenched her jaw.

"Down the cliff."

~

Jack practically ran down the cliff. He could see the lone figure at the bottom of the cliff. Oh please let her be alive! Jack's only thoughts were for Charlie, his damsel in distress. He soon reached the ground and ran over to Charlie. His hand flew to her neck. She was alive! Jack brushed her hair out of her eyes and clutched her hand tightly.

"Hand in there Charlie. Please, just hold on."

~

Sam and Daniel made their way steadily down the cliff, using spades to dig out secure handholds. Sam was relieved when they made it safely to the bottom. Daniel drew in a sharp breath.

"What is it?"

Daniel turned to her slowly, his eyes wide.

"I'm...scared of heights!"

Sam almost laughed. She rushed over to Charlie and began to check her over.

"Possible spinal fracture, nerve damage, concussion; lots of small cuts and bruises; quite a nasty fall."

Sam tried to maintain professional attachment, but it was extremely difficult, especially with her husband pacing around, squawking.

"Stop fretting, Daniel! They'll be here soon."

"Actually, we're here now."

Janet rushed over, Teal'c following closely behind. The safety ropes were still dangling from the cliff.

"No spinal damage. Possible fractured femur. Colonel, will you come here please?"

Jack stepped forward. Janet lifted Charlie gently upright, leaning her against Jack so her head was resting on his chest. Janet strapped Charlie securely into a harness and then slipped it over Jack's head. Janet tugged the rope twice. While SG8 pulled them up, Jack held the unconscious Charlie to him, whispering sweet reassurances unto deaf ears. They reached the top in a matter of minutes. A medical team ran up to them, unstrapping Charlie and lowering her onto a stretcher. Sam and Daniel were hauled up next, Daniel still squawking.

"Oh I hope she's alright, Sam! I'll never forgive myself if..."

"If nothing! She's going to be fine, okay Daniel?"

Jack had taken charge of the mission; the calm and logic of military command helped soothe his troubled heart.

"To the Gate, people!"

SG8 picked up Charlie's stretcher and Sam placed an arm around Daniel's shoulder. And Jack was left alone with his thoughts.

~

"She'll be fine. In fact, there's no serious damage whatsoever."

They all sighed. Jack leaned against the wall and Sam sat beside Daniel, grasping his hand tightly.

"Can we see her?"

"Sure."

Janet smiled and backed away as the three friends went into the room. Charlie lay unconscious on the bed, various machines and tubes surrounding her. She looked so frail, so helpless, as Jack took her hand and sat beside her. Sam and Daniel also pulled up chairs.

"Hey Charlie. How's things?"

"Just fine. Now let me up!"

They nearly jumped into next week as Charlie's eyes flew open and she sat straight up.

"We thought we'd lost you there, Charlie."

"Well, you did not lose me. Can I leave now?"

Janet nodded, knowing by now that archaeologists did what they wanted whether she liked it or not. Jack reached to steady her but she brushed him off. Jack backed off, hurt in his eyes. Sam tried to pacify the situation.

"So, how did you fall?"

"The rock I was holding broke away. I could not get another grip and I lost my balance. Now if you over-protective chau'va will get out of my way..."

Charlie pulled out her IV and went to get changed, leaving the others staring after her.

~

You can't win.

#But I can, sweet child, but I can#

They will notice. There's nothing you can do.

#But I can, sweet child, but I can#

You can't control me forever.

#But I can, sweet child, but I can#

~

Jack stretched lazily. He had done the unthinkable: sat in front of a computer for twelve hours straight. He had a headache the size of Cheyenne Mountain and was still no closer to the solution.

"Sir?"

Sam stood in the doorway, staring in amazement at the coffee cups and computer printouts littering Jack's office.

"Have you been working here all night? What on earth have you been doing?"

She rushed over as Jack started to fall out of the chair.

"Just research, Carter. Nothing important..."

"Sir, you never go near the computer, let alone work through the night, especially on your night off!"

Then she began reading the screen.

"American Adoption Files, Subject history: you've been looking up Charlie!"

Jack nodded sleepily. Sam put a hand on his shoulder.

"You should get some sleep, Colonel. I'll get Teal'c."

Teal'c? Why did he need Teal'c? The Jaffa strode through the door and gently picked Jack up. Oh, he would never live this down!

~

"Charlie?"

Ah, her Beloved! Always a pleasure!

"Daniel."

She stood up and leaned her head against his chest. He stared at her in shock.

"Charlie, what are you doing?"

Suddenly, she came to her senses and pulled away.

"I am sorry...Dad."

"You will go and apologise to everyone now! You had no right to talk like that."

A simple Tau'ri telling HER what to do. She took a step forward and slapped him across the face! Daniel blinked in surprise. She strode out of the room, headed for the firing range.

~

"She slapped me Sam!"

"Oh Daniel, surely not."

"She did! Look, my face is going red."

"True."

They were holding a conference. Well, not quite. They were sitting in the canteen drinking coffee. Jack was still fast asleep but Janet and Teal'c had joined the couple. It seemed that Janet and Charlie had been hanging around SG1 a lot recently. Now why could that be?

"What do you think has caused this change?"

"I dunno, Teal'c. Maybe PMT?"

"Oh grow up Daniel!"

"Sorry Sam."

"What are you nattering about?"

Jack shuffled into the canteen, rubbing his eyes. Sam passed him a cup of coffee.

"Thanks. So what's up?"

"Charlie. She's been acting real...strange."

"I'll go find her."

Jack gulped down his coffee and dived out of the room.

"Sir!"

But he was gone. Sam groaned. Why did everyone keep walking out on her?

~

She shot the target again, savouring the satisfaction. The vibration, the shot, the clean-cut mark: a perfect weapon! She fired another round. The target was mauled beyond repair, as she had wished it.

"Hey Charlie!"

Oh great! Back to the I'm-a-good-girl-really routine!

"Hello Jack; how are you today?"

"Nice target. Omigod...it's Daniel!"

What was left of it. She had shot it full of bullets that you could only see the head. Pity. Oh no! Damned host was trying to talk!

"Jack...please help..."

Jack's eyes widened. Help with what? She crashed to the floor and he skidded over, cupping her face in his hands.

"She's here. Oh Jack, she's here..."

~

Janet replaced the stethoscope around the neck as she pushed her way through the double doors of the infirmary. How could she tell them? She quickly ran the conversation through in her head, dreading the response.

"How is she?"

Sam stood up and went straight up to Janet. Daniel was right behind her but Jack kept his distance.

"I'm afraid...it's a Gourld."

Sam gasped and clapped a hand to her mouth. Daniel pulled her to him and she cried into his jacket. Jack slid down the wall.

"Don't worry; we can take her to the Hammer."

The Hammer was an interesting Gourld removal device on Samaria, Thor's world. The mood lightened but the despairing clouds still hung overhead.

"But there's...another problem. There are two of them."

"Two!"

"Two?"

Janet nodded and indicated her office. They all trudged in and Janet shut the door. She swung the monitor round and pointed to the screen.

"There's the usual one around the spine. But then there's a second Gourld down behind the spine. That one appears to be asleep."

"Can we see her?"

"You can but I'll warn you now; you probably won't get Charlie and this Gourld has a particularly bad attitude."

They all nodded and went in. Charlie was strapped to the bed, writhing in her restraints. Jack turned away and swallowed.

#Can't face the truth? Your girlfriend is dead, Colonel#

Jack walked straight out, followed closely by Sam. Daniel held his ground.

#Help me, Beloved. Remember our sweet times together?#

Daniel gasped. Hathor! The evil bitch!

"How...dare you!"

Daniel's voice was trembling in rage and his fists were clenched. She smiled.

#Oh I dare, Beloved. Forget your acquisitions and join me in paradise#

Acquisitions? What on earth could that mean?

#There is nothing here for you now, Beloved. Your child has died, your wife is...dying: you have failed them#

His wife? Oh no; Sam! Daniel ran out of the door, just as Sam raised the mug to her lips.

"No!"

She started to choke, her body fighting for every breath. Daniel tried to hold her, keep her with him but she fell to the floor, hands clasped to her throat. Janet ran out with a syringe and jabbed it in Sam's arm. Her breathing slowed and she lowered her hands.

"I don't know...what happened."

Daniel knelt beside her and wrapped her up in his arms. She hugged him back, leaning her head on his shoulder.

"What are we going to do, Daniel?"

Daniel hugged her tighter, tears rising to his eyes.

"I don't know, Sam. I don't know..."

~

"Allergic reaction: I recognised the signs. Shot of antihistamines took it out."

Sam sat on the edge of the bed, with Daniel beside her. She was trembling almost uncontrollably, and Daniel supported her completely, letting her rest against his shoulder. They were both pointedly turned away from Charlie. However, Jack stood over her, staring at her in disdain.

#I can cause this host great pain, colonel. Would you wish that on your Beloved?#

Jack swallowed hard. He kept thinking about his dream. Well, not a dream, more like a nightmare. And all the horrifying images were falling into place. Janet came over and placed a reassuring hand on his shoulder. They didn't even suspect...

"Watch out!"

Hathor jumped up from the bed and threw herself at Jack. Their flight carried them over to the other beds. Hathor released Jack and made a grab for Daniel. She took a fistful of hair and yanked him down to her level, quite a stretch for the 6ft archaeologist. Somehow she had managed to get hold of a scalpel and was waving it at Daniel's throat.

"Move and I kill him!"

Charlie's voice was hardened in fury and her grip tightened on Daniel's hair. He bit down on his lip to stop himself from crying out, from giving HER the satisfaction. With an evil 'flash' of her eyes, Hathor backed out of the room, dragging Daniel with her.

"You can't...win, Hathor."

#But I can, Beloved, but I can#

~

Sam leapt off the bed. Oh, this was too much! Her daughter had just dragged Daniel out of the room at knifepoint, while everyone just watched it happen! Sam moved to the door but Jack stopped her.

"Not now, Carter. Let the cameras track them."

Sam swallowed hard. Tracking: she could cope with tracking. Jack patted her back and drew his pistol, making for the door.

"Sir?"

"I don't care about cameras. Daniel might just run out of luck, and I won't let that happen."

Sam bent down...and slipped a tiny knife from her boot. Jack raised an eyebrow but Sam just pressed it into her palm, savouring the metallic chill of the blade. Jack nodded, and they edged out of the room.

~

Teal'c couldn't quite believe his eyes. Charlene Jackson was dragging Daniel Jackson by the hair along the unusually empty SGC corridors. She was brandishing a scalpel. Charlene threw Daniel into his office and followed him in, locking the door behind her. Even on alien Earth, Teal'c sensed this was not 'normal' behaviour. He was just about to inform his CO, when the man himself walked round the corner, followed closely by Major Carter.

"Colonel O'Neill, Charlene has been acting strangely."

"She's a Gourld, Teal'c. We gotta get the thing outta her."

Teal'c nodded, although he didn't fully comprehend. Sam bit down on her lip, eyeing the door nervously. A scream punctuated the silent corridor, causing Sam to wince. Teal'c drew his conclusion: Daniel Jackson was in trouble. Without further ado, Teal'c charged down the door. Daniel was frozen against the wall, the scalpel jutting out of his arm. Hathor had a gun pointed straight at him and was preparing to fire.

#Do not come closer; or your friend will die#

"Aw, come on! You're not going to kill him now, not after all these glorious opportunities!"

Sam eyes Jack carefully. What exactly was he planning? Hathor turned at the scornful remark, eyes glowing with venom.

#You will allow me safe passage through the chapa'ai. Then I will let him go#

The goddess' voice was a strained whisper; Charlie was giving her grief.

"Safe passage? Okay, we can do safe passage. Just give us Daniel first."

#You think me a fool, Tau'ri? No, he is mine until I step through the chapa'ai!#

Then something caught Sam's attention. Hathor's fingers were snaking towards her belt where a blur orb hung from a frayed gold rope, swinging mystically at her hip. She passed her hand over it. A beam of light hit SG1 and Hathor sending them to somewhere else...

~

The Briefing Room! A cold dread crept through Jack. He had been here before. The dream was becoming a reality and he knew he couldn't stop it.

#Let me pass, Tau'ri!#

Hathor had the weakened Daniel by the scruff of the neck, leaning against her legs on the floor. He looked so helpless, especially with Hathor's gun at his neck. Hathor held out her palm and a ball of light appeared. A ribbon device! Hathor flipped it over and into position in one swift movement. She aimed it straight at Daniel and sent him flying across the room. Surprisingly, he landed on his feet beside the Briefing Room table. The rest of the room seemed to fade, a ghostly echo of reality. Only Jack, Daniel and Hathor remained in the scene, three constants in a shifting universe. Hathor turned slowly to face Daniel. She cocked her pistol.

"No!"

The shot fired. Daniel clutched his chest and fell backwards, melding into the backdrop. Hathor whirled to face Jack. He drew his gun.

"Can you really shoot me, Jack? You don't have it in you."

Jack cocked the pin and pointed the gun straight at her.

"Don't kill me Jack! Don't let her win!"

He knew it would come to this. Charlie stared at him in innocence, his love who could kill him at any moment. He pulled the trigger.

Charlie looked down at her chest in horror. Jack cocked the pin again and fired off the round. Charlie's eyes widened and she fell into the abyss. Jack sank to his knees, words echoing in his head.

You failed me.

You failed me.

You failed me.

~

"Hathor is dead."

No one looked up at Janet's announcement. It had only been three hours since the 'showdown', yet it seemed like eternity.

"What about Charlie?"

You remember the other Gourld? It appears to be acting very much like Junior. I've removed all the bullets and the dead Gourld. Let's hope it's enough."

"Can we see her?"

Janet nodded silently. They stood up and filed in, a slow, grave procession. The pale, thin child lying beneath the sheets looked so frail and pitiful that a tear rolled down Jack's cheek. It couldn't end like this. It just couldn't! Sam walked straight up to Charlie and placed a hand on her arm. Sam's eyes widened in shock and she quickly withdrew her hand. Jack was beside her in a second, as was Teal'c. They supported her trembling form as she made her proclamation.

"It's a Tok'ra!"

~

"A Tok'ra?"

"Don't ask me how it got there, but I definitely know that Gourld...as a friend."

Sam quickly added, remembering the many Gourld who wanted Jolinar dead. Well, she was but that didn't stop Sam fretting. Or, apparently, Jack.

"We have to contact the Tok'ra, sir. They'll know what to do. Jolinar offered to let Carter go, remember? And they got Klorel outta Skarra! We gotta try, sir."

General Hammond looked from one report to another, and then looked up at the anxious, exhausted faces surrounding him.

"Well people, the Hammer option is out. The Tok'ra may be...well, Gourld, but they are still our allies. We'll contact the Tok'ra with the Tollan communicator. They'll arrive soon. Meanwhile, that Tok'ra is inhabiting a member of my base. Keep an eye on her. Dismissed."

The group dashed for the door, headed towards the infirmary.

~

There was an aura of silence surrounding the infirmary. Vases of flowers were scattered everywhere. Charlie had made a lot of friends at the SGC. And broken a few hearts, thought Jack, bitterly. He slipped through the door first and Janet pulled him to one side.

"She's very weak. The Tok'ra is blending with her, but very slowly. Please, don't excite her."

Jack smiled painfully. He drew up a chair and took Charlie's hand. The others stayed by the door, unwilling to break the moment.

"Charlie? It's Jack here. We're all here, Charlie. You're gonna get you through this, okay?"

"Okay Jack. I hear you."

The low whisper was almost drowned by the beeping monitors and buzzing scanner. Charlie's eyes slitted open before widening fully. One eye was a fierce blue, with ebony spikes through the pupil. But Jack didn't care. He ran a gentle finger down the side of her face and her lips curved in a half-smile. She closed her eyes again and Jack ran a hand through her soft black hair, tumbling the curls over his fingers.

"What about...Hermione?"

It didn't take a genius to work out that that was the name of her Tok'ra. Jack allowed himself a smile.

"We've contacted the Tok'ra. They're going to help."

"Incoming Traveller..."

Sam slipped out of the room and Jack moved to follow her. Charlie grabbed his fingers.

"Don't...leave me."

"Oh Charlie..."

Jack bent over her and kissed her lightly on her forehead before brushing his lips against hers. Then he moved for the door, as Charlie settled back into blissful unconsciousness.

~

Martouf stepped through the Tau'ri Gate, Selmak at his side. The Tau'ri rarely called the Tok'ra and the message had seemed urgent. Sam and Jack raced into the Gate room, panting from their run. Wordlessly, Sam grabbed Martouf's hand and dragged him towards the infirmary. General Carter gave Jack a puzzled look but the Colonel just gestured for him to follow.

"What's going on, Colonel?"

"We have a Tok'ra that needs removing."

"A Tok'ra! How the hell did it get here?"

"No idea, but it's in my...friend and I want it out!"

General Carter noted Jack's hesitation but Sam looked out of her mind.

"Sam? What's wrong, kid?"

"It's my daughter, Dad. First she was possessed by Hathor..."

"The bitch!"

Jack always made his feelings clear.

"And then Hermione took over."

"Hermione! Is that the name of the Tok'ra?"

"Yes Dad; it is."

Then the General realised exactly what she'd said.

"Daughter?"

"I'll explain later, Dad."

"Do you know this Hermione, sir?"

"Yes; she's actually the leader of the Tok'sokar, a powerful rebel faction."

"There are more of you?"

"Oh yes, Colonel, one to a System Lord. The most prominent is the Tok'ra but we help the other groups now that Ra is dead."

They all fell into silence as they approached the infirmary. Sam gently pushed open the door and guided the Tok'ra in. Charlie was still unconscious. Jack moved silently beside her and took her hand. General Carter took the other.

#Awake Hermione. It is Selmak#

Charlie's eyes fluttered open, then flashed with Gourld presence.

#You have a new host, Selmak. My vessel is already weak but liberated from a worthy adversary#

"Vessel? Is that all she is to you?"

Jack visibly bristled and drew himself straight, looking every inch 'the warrior'. General Carter pulled him to one side.

"Colonel, the Tok'sokar believe that hosts aren't strong enough to take the body, don't have the right to. I'm sorry, but we must respect their beliefs."

"I want Charlie back, and I'm going to get her. As for the Tok'sokar, you can all just go home cos we killed your Gourld."

#You are indeed most efficient, Tau'ri. Three System Lords have died in your name#

"Actually, there were four."

Daniel, looking very pale and shaken, limped forward on crutches. In all the pandemonium of the multiple Gourld, they had almost forgotten the downed archaeologist, who was forced to watch as his own daughter shot him. Jack ran over, his soul over-flowing with guilt as he hugged his friend for all he was wroth. Sam also rushed over, greeting her husband with a kiss and muttering fervent apologies. She guided him to a chair as Jack reclaimed his position beside Charlie.

"Well, not exactly, Daniel. Seth wasn't technically a System Lord."

#Seth? You have conquered the chau'va! The Tok'set are in your gratitude#

"What about Charlie?"

Daniel wasn't going to let it drop and neither was Jack. Strangely, Sam and General Carter couldn't quite meet their eyes.

#This rebellious vessel must be tamed. Then she shall serve me for many years#

"Well sorry, Miss Tok'sokar, but Charlie ain't going nowhere. Now you get your snaky butt outta my gal before I have to rip you out of there myself!"

Hermione's eyes flashed threateningly and her fist clenched in anger. She turned to Martouf in frustration.

#Noble Lantesh, surely you will stop this incursion?#

Martouf shook his head sadly.

#I am sorry, Hermione, but these people are our allies and they have valued laws to uphold. I will not defy them#

"So you see, kiddo, you're running outta options. You can either leave here of your own free will, call a host or whatever, or we can dig you out with a pair of forceps. Your choice, but make it snappy."

Jack was in full flight now, venting all the pent-up fury against a recognisable target. But it still felt like betrayal.

#Selmak, you shall summon the Tok'sokar and bring Adelaide to me. We must leave this place and perform Kunja'lo#

"Kunja'lo? Doesn't that mean 'violation'?"

Daniel's eyes were wide and the Tok'sokar glared at him.

#It means 'submission'. Adelaide is a...complex vessel. She will require preparation and this vessel must recover from her loss. We must perform the ceremony without distraction. Release me if you wish your friend to live#

Jack considered the request. To have Charlie taken away for god-knows how long and to be imprisoned by that vile bitch...it made Jack's blood boil. SG1 couldn't survive a week without her, but if they didn't let her go they may never see her again.

"Let me talk to Charlie first."

Hermione nodded and closed her eyes. Almost instantly, her body slumped, crying out in pain. Jack was soon beside her, gently holding her as she shook in his arms.

"Oh Jack, she's evil..."

"Shh Charlie; it'll soon end, don't worry, don't worry..."

Jack held his love in his arms, trying to imagine the horror of Kunja'lo, the violation, the submission. At least Carter was part of Jolinar; Charlie was just a vessel for a downright disruptive Gourld. Jack felt sorry for Adelaide, whoever she was, having to spend eternity with that bitch. Charlie had stopped crying now and was leaning against Jack in weariness.

"Charlie, I'm sor..."

"Nothing to be...sorry about. You did...what you had to."

She spoke in a stuttered whisper, barely recognisable as Charlie's musical lilt of a voice. Jack lightly kissed her hair.

"I love you, Charlie."

A low, intimate whisper, shy and quiet, yet radiating warmth and affection with every word.

"Me too, Jack. I will be...back, y'know. I'm not going away...forever."

Charlie lost consciousness. With uncharacteristic tenderness, Jack leaned her gently against the pillows, waiting for the loud-mouthed Gourld to take over.

#Kree Selmak! We must depart this place and reach the Tok'sokar. Adelaide will be awaiting me#

The Tok'ra nodded and left the room. Teal'c suddenly appeared from nowhere and laid a hand on Charlie's forehead.

"Prim'ta Charlene, sa mar'ien, to'var ecris!"

Hermione just stared at him.

#Your feeble words will not change the mar'ien. To'var is to'var; it cannot be undone#

Daniel, Jack and Sam watched in fascinated horror as Teal'c recited a long, guttural speech in Abydonian. Daniel's eyes got wider with every word and Jack was betting that half of them were some kind of Jaffa swearing that Daniel was having trouble wrapping his naive little mind around. General Carter walked in just as Teal'c was finishing. His eyes also went wide at the sharp, biting tone of Teal'c's usually neutral voice.

#I am humbled, Kar'ec. To'var is yours#

Hermione gave a half-imitation of a bow and then relaxed against the pillow. Jack looked at Teal'c with new respect. (What the hell did Kar'ec mean?)

#You have your wish, Hermione. The Tok'sokar are arriving within the hour. Your aide, Dakatte, requested assm'tovar#

#Let him take what is his#

#As you wish, Hermione#

Jack saw Teal'c's mouth harden in a firm line but he didn't protest. Daniel didn't really seem 'with it' at all (but then, would you be if your worst nightmare had returned, inhabited your daughter, and tried to kill you? I wouldn't!) and Sam had a sad, little smile on her face, her eyes glistening with tears.

"Can we spend this last hour with Charlie, Hermione? Please?"

The Gourld nodded and closed her eyes. Charlie's muscles relaxed and her eyes opened, sleepily.

"Hey guys! Do you know how strange that feels?"

"Too well, Charlie. Had one a while back; wasn't exactly pleasant."

They sounded as if they were talking about the 'flu and not some parasitic alien that invaded your mind and tried to take control in one fell swoop. Sam stroked back Charlie's hair and the girl smiled. Daniel leaned over and kissed her forehead. She smiled faintly as they left, a solitary tear rolling down her cheek. Only Jack remained, contemplating the last month or so, wondering where it all went wrong.

He had met this bright-eyed teenager, his team-mates' daughter, and fell totally and utterly in love. She was young, granted, but intelligent and understanding. She was the only person he had ever met that he knew he could trust without a single moment's hesitation, under any circumstances and in any situation. And he had known her for a month! Just over four weeks, two of which he hadn't even seen her for, and now she was being dragged away from him. But the attraction had always been there.

A few days before Hathor had visited the SGC (what fun that was!) Jack had taken them all to the park: Sam, Daniel, Teal'c, Janet, Cassie and, of course, Charlie. They had wandered around in their little group, trying not to couple but struggling with the effort. Sam was unconsciously drifting towards Daniel and Teal'c's hand kept straying towards Janet's. Cassie ran on ahead and Jack ended up talking to Charlie. They tried polite conversation, they tried curious questioning, they even tried keeping silent; but nothing seemed to hold their interest. The only subject they could think of was the Gate, the one thing they couldn't talk about in a place as public as the park. Eventually, Jack just grabbed her hand and led her to the pond. They crashed down on the grass laughing. Jack pretended to push her in the water; Charlie shoved him in. He came up, staring at her in shock. She giggled and splashed water at him. He waded out and she ran away from the edge. Sopping wet, he chased her round the park, much to the others' amusement. Finally, he caught her, lifted her into the air and swung her round. She held onto his shoulders, her short hair ruffling in the breeze. He set her down and she looked into his eyes; the same look of trust his own son had given him so many years ago. And then he knew; all the feelings were real, stirred by a young girl because she simply trusted. He had taken her hand and they had returned to the group. It was the most perfect day Jack had had in a long time. Caused by the same girl who was about to be snatched away from him.

Jack gazed fondly at Charlie, who offered a smile in return. A smile of trust.

~

"How can we trust her, Sam?"

"What choice do we have, Daniel?"

Daniel's forehead creased into a frown and Sam looked at the floor. So interesting this time of year.

"The Tok'sokar were "against Sokar", right?"

"Well, that's what their name suggests."

"I don't suppose there are any Tok' tauri?

Daniel raised an eyebrow.

"Why?"

Sam lifted a hand to her forehead and shook her head.

"I don't know. I just have this memory..."

Sam crashed to the floor and Daniel knelt beside her.

"Are you alright?"

"I feel so dizzy..."

Sam collapsed against Daniel. He picked her up and headed for the infirmary.

~

"What the hell happened?"

Jack stood and marched over to Daniel. Charlie pulled herself up and her eyes widened. Daniel laid Sam onto one of the beds and called for Janet. The doctor came running and shooed the two men away. Reluctantly, they went back to Charlie.

"What happened? Dad? Jack?"

"She just collapsed. I picked her up and brought her here."

"Well, we'll know soon enough."

Janet bustled over, chewing on her lip nervously.

"She seems to be asleep, but nothing we have will wake her. We just have to leave her, I'm afraid."

Jack and Daniel exchanged looks. Charlie arched an eyebrow but remained silent. Jack wondered where she had picked that up. Then Selmak arrived.

"The Tok'sokar are here."

Charlie cried out and fell backwards. Jack reached out to catch her but Selmak held him back.

"She is preparing for Kunja'lo. Charlie won't wake up until after the ceremony. Can I have a private word, Colonel?"

Selmak noticed Sam on his way out but didn't pay any attention. Jack just followed.

#Hermione is what we call a trace-Goa'uld. She changes hosts, leaving an individual presence in each. The Tok'ra can remove it but it will take time#

Jack nodded slowly. He wasn't going to have a Gourld hanging around the SGC, even if it was only a presence.

"How long do you...estimate?"

#It is difficult, Colonel. The only people we have ever removed Hermione from were past hosts themselves...#

"Charlie is a past host! She had Hathor in her just before Hermione took over."

Selmak frowned.

#Where was Hermione?#

"In Charlie. She was down behind the spine; we don't know how she got there."

#Hermione used her like a Jaffa, to carry the symbiot until she needed her as a host. It isn't unheard of, especially in trace-Goa'uld#

Jack nodded. It made a certain amount of sense. The question was where Hermione had come from in the first place.

"What's the last known location of Hermione before she arrived here?"

#She hasn't been heard of for a while now. I wasn't even in this host, or the one before. It was the early years of my second host previous. And that was many years ago#

Jack was liking this less and less. Hermione could've been inside Charlie since her birth, they had no way of knowing. The knowledge she had of Earth was vast, especially with Charlie's own personal capacity for learning. This Gourld could probably take over Earth! Jack was just hoping her Tok'ra companions would keep her in check.

~

Dakatte was savouring the moment. The Tau'ri were a formidable race and allies of the famed Tok'ra; this was a moment not to be lost. He stepped through the chapa'ai and raised an eyebrow at the highly tense atmosphere. His symbiot churned inside him. There were other Goa'uld here, he could feel it. He stepped down the ramp, accompanied by Miniok, his loyal aide. An important looking man with a bald head stepped forward and greeted him.

"Welcome to Earth. You're here to take Hermione?"

The man sounded worried. Dakatte wondered what mess Hermione had got herself into this time. At least they were on friendly ground; or so he hoped.

"Yes we are. The current vessel is ready?"

The man nodded and gestured to a door. Dakatte and Miniok walked through the strange doorway and into the silent corridors. They were led to a room with many beds and machines, quite advanced for a lesser people. Then he saw the vessel. Deeply tanned with a well-formed figure, she was the picture of perfection. He couldn't understand Hermione's urgency to leave. He walked over to the girl and passed a hand over her head. Yes, this was Hermione. He turned back to the man.

"When shall we leave?"

"Now, if you can. Just keep her safe."

Dakatte nodded. Oh, she would be safe. Hermione would see to it. He looked back at the man. He nodded.

"We'll fetch a stretcher."

Dakatte frowned. What was a 'stretcher'? The man returned with a synthetic panel, with two carrying bars at the front and back. Dakatte nodded; a thoughtful design. He gently lifted the vessel onto the board and fixed her there with the light restraints provided. Miniok took the forward handle, while Dakatte took the other, and they set off down the corridor. Another man ran up, breathing heavily.

"Wait a moment please."

He pulled out a piece of ribbon with a gold disc suspended beneath. It held a simple cartouche, reading 'Charlene forever'. Dakatte was puzzled as the man slipped it around her neck. He smiled.

"I'm Daniel. Look after her for me."

Why was this vessel so important? If Hermione had destroyed a hierarchy...well, they were for it! He continued his walk, with Daniel following behind. They arrived in the Tau'ri 'Gate room'. Yet another man ran up. His hair was grey with age but he looked young and healthy. He stepped beside the vessel.

"Hey Charlie. You gonna be alright kid, okay? Don't bail out on me, Charlie. I need you."

His voice fell to a whisper at the last utterance, drinking in the vessel, engraving her image in his mind. He took a single red rose from his belt and laid it in her hand. Then he backed off, wiping a tear from his eye. Dakatte and Miniok stepped through the glistening chapa'ai, leaving despair behind.

~

"What happened?"

Sam sat bolt upright. She jumped off the bed and ran for the door, colliding into Daniel.

"Sam! You're awake!"

Sam looked about wildly, not knowing what to expect.

"What's wrong?"

Daniel stared at her in concern, his youthful eyes filling with worry. Sam finally managed to make her request.

"Where's...Charlie?"

"She's gone, Sam. The Tok'sokar just left. We just couldn't wake you."

"The bitch put me out! She knew I had the answers."

"Answers? What answers?"

Daniel was really worried now. What was Sam talking about?

"You remember what I told you. About the Tok'sokar being different? I figured out why. The Tok'sokar was the name of Apophis' dynasty. Teal'c told me. Where is Teal'c?"

"I haven't seen him since he gave that speech in the infirmary."

"What was that all about?"

Daniel shrugged.

"I got about half of it. He was talking about 'vessels' and 'rights'. And he kept repeating this one phrase: Assm'tovar nara to'var."

"Which means?"

"I have absolutely no idea. We should look it up."

"Or ask Teal'c?"

"Daniel Jackson! Major Carter! Where is Charlene?"

Teal'c came pounding down the corridor, almost knocking Sam and Daniel over. He looked as if he had seen a ghost.

"What's the matter, Teal'c?"

"Charlene is in danger. Hermione is the leader of the Tok'tauri. Her keeper is lost..."

"Okay, slow down Teal'c. You're not making much sense."

"Daniel Jackson, I am correct. Hermione had me sleeping until her departure, to insure my silence. We must do something..."

"No Teal'c. If the Colonel hears this, he's just gonna crack. We leave it well alone and hope that Charlie's safe."

Daniel nodded and the couple left the base, coping with their sorrow alone

Teal'c looked down and made his way to his room, to sit in quiet meditation.

Jack leaned against the wall, absorbing all his friends had said. He slid slowly down, tears spilling from his eyes.

It's so sad! Numbers 5 and 6 are soon to follow so you won't have to wait long. Unfortunately, if I don't get any feedback this series is going to end because I won't have time for it. Please, please, please e-mail me if you want more.

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Demon Faith