Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Charlie 6: Return to Grace

by Demon Faith
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Charlie # 6 - Return to Grace

Charlie # 6 - Return to Grace

by Demon Faith

TITLE: Charlie # 6 - Return to Grace
AUTHOR: Demon Faith
EMAIL: rosabeth@hotmail.com
CATEGORY: Romance, Drama, Angst,
SPOILERS: You need to read the rest of the Charlie series (Charlie, Revelations, The Dream, Demon Within and Dominion Hex) and there are other spoilers for: Stargate the Movie, Tok'ra, The Nox, Thor's Chariot, Legacy, Enigma, Bloodlines, Forever in a Day, Hathor, Past and Present, Need, Broca Divide, Cold Lazarus, Fire and Water, Message in a Bottle, and Seth. There is one line taken from 'Crystal Skull'. Can you spot it?
SEASON / SEQUEL: Wait for #7 and I'll tell you!
RATING: PG-13
CONTENT WARNINGS: Charlie-whumping, Danny-whumping, Jack-whumping, Tok'ra-whumping, minor character death, language! (I really am evil, y'know!)
SUMMARY: After eight months of heartache, Charlie returns...
STATUS: Complete
ARCHIVE: Heliopolis
DISCLAIMER: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. We have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the authors. Not to be archived without permission of the authors.
AUTHOR'S NOTES: I know I said at the end of 'Dominion Hex' that the next one was called 'Divine Intervention' but I had a slight problem. My computer decided to delete that entire story and I couldn't retrieve it. I gave up on trying to rewrite it, so this is a totally new plotline, hence the title change.
Thanks go, as always, to Stephali and all my other Stargate friends and to all the people who so kindly gave me feedback. Sorry about the cliff-hanger, but I felt the story was getting too long! Seeing as the next story promises to be twice as long, you may have to wait a while!

Charlie#6: Return to Grace

Stargate Command. The first line of defence for Earth, though very few people were aware of it. And SG1 was the best in the SGC. Quite surprising really, considering SG1 wasn't exactly your regular USAF team. Sure, it had your typical Colonel in command and his 2IC was an Airforce Major. But the other two members were...slightly unusual. Dr Daniel Jackson, their rather accident-prone archaeologist/anthropologist/linguist, who Jack thought was more trouble then he was worth, and Teal'c, an alien to Earth with an even stranger alien housed in his stomach, which just happened to be Earth's deadliest enemy. Not your run-of-the-mill team but the best, none the less. The very best.

SG1 stepped out of the Gate. The planet before them was quite barren but the UAV was nowhere in sight.

"P7A 421, sir."

"Yes, Carter. I know."

Jack sounded tired and weary; his voice had lost its life somehow and ever the sarcastic wit had faded. Sam was worried. Their team was falling apart. It had been eight months, eight long months, since Charlie had left. Things had gone downhill from there.

"What is your assessment, Major Carter?"

Good old, Teal'c. The Jaffa came up beside her, keeping his voice low. Jack was some way off, so Sam felt safe to answer.

"Definitely blue. On both fronts."

Sam inclined her head towards Daniel and Teal'c nodded gravely. They had set up a system over the last few months, coding Jack and Daniel's moods into six categories: blue, red, green, yellow, purple and black. Black meant total despair, purple meant relative calm, yellow meant anxiety, green meant sorrow, red meant anger and blue, the commonest of the six, meant depression.

Daniel was trailing behind again. His brow had become furrowed in a permanent frown recently and the shadows beneath his eyes had become deeper. During the night, he tossed and turned and Sam had taken to sleeping on the couch. The atmosphere was strained between them, everyone silently blaming everyone else. Except for Daniel, who was blaming himself: he should've noticed, he should've fought her, he should've stopped her. Gradually, he had retreated into his own little world, blocking everyone's attempts to help him. Jack was very much the same; he never went out anymore and spent more and more time in his office, writing. No one knew what flowed beneath his pen but it kept him up all night. Any attempts to find out had been greeted by red, followed instantly by green.

Sam suddenly stopped, causing Daniel to walk straight into her. She began to realise what she'd done. She had started treating her friends like psychiatric patients, unstable time-bombs that could go off at any moment. What kind of friend was she?

Daniel also had a realisation. He picked up his glasses and turned to study Sam's face. He looped an arm around her shoulder and she jumped at the contact.

"Y'alright?"

Sam smiled wearily. Between keeping her team together and taking care of Daniel, she had let herself slip. She had one meal a day, two if she was off-world, and snatched an hour or two of sleep when she could. She had started re-typing Jack's reports and lengthening Daniel's observation notes. She was a proud woman and wouldn't let her team fall apart just because they had lost a friend; a child; a lover.

"I suppose I'm a little...over-worked. Nothing to worry about, really."

Daniel spun Sam round to face him and looking deeply into her eyes.

"I'm sorry, Sam. You've been doing too much. I'll...do Jack's next report and I think I can cope with a little archaeological survey."

Sam smiled gratefully. He had noticed. Teal'c fell back to join them.

"Do you believe it would be wise to volunteer for...duties?"

Sam knew instantly what he was talking about but Daniel had no clue whatsoever. The team had grown apart and Sam had to fix it. She glanced at her wandering CO, fighting back tears.

"What's that, Teal'c?"

"It might be prudent, Daniel Jackson, to attempt some of O'Neill's duties. It has become tiresome fixing his reports."

Daniel's eyes went wide.

"You too!"

"Yes indeed, Daniel. In fact, if you could help..."

Sam stifled a giggle, which caused Jack to turn around. He frowned slightly at the sight of his team whispering behind him. But did it really matter? Did anything matter? With a sigh, he turned back to the path, searching for the UAV. He felt a tap on the shoulder and saw Daniel at his side.

"Hey."

Jack didn't even bother to reply.

"If you don't mind me saying, you seem a little tired. Got anything planned tonight?"

"Reports. Seven of them."

Daniel moved in for the kill.

"How about you let me do them? You could catch an early night."

Jack seemed to be considering it. It was a mark of how far things had gone when Jack, smart-ass colonel, was considering help from a civilian, especially Daniel. Finally, he nodded. Daniel smiled, then fell back to the others.

"Seven reports; all ours for the taking."

That night, Daniel's office was a hive of activity, as fingers drummed steadily across the keyboards. Daniel was at his own desk, Teal'c was at Charlie's and Sam was lying on the floor, with her laptop in front of her.

"So, who wants the threat assessments?"

Sam was doling out assignments to everyone. Teal'c volunteered for those, raising an eyebrow.

"Threat assessments of the Tok'ra, the Asgard and the Nox?"

Sam blinked in surprise and snatched the sheet back.

"I think I'll do the Tok'ra. Why the heck are we evaluating the good guys?"

Daniel shrugged, before turning back to his computer. He had three archaeology reports to get done, before he even started helping the others. Janet was passing by but stopped short at the sight of three-quarters of SG1, apparently engrossed in reports.

"Report for Mackenzie on SG1's psychological health? They get the Colonel to write these things? No wonder we get so much stick!"

Janet's eyes widened. They were writing Jack's reports! Was he ill? Sam saw her standing in the doorway and grinned.

"I think that one's for you, if you're helping."

Janet stepped gingerly into the room, carefully avoiding the sheets of paper littered all over the floor. It turned out that Jack's 'seven' reports were actually about 25, with the seven being the ones needed for the next day. Janet took the piece of paper wordlessly and then began to berate them.

"What the hell are you doing? This is top secret documentation! Jack will lose his job..."

"Janet, if we don't do the reports, his job is gone anyway. I've been editing them for the last month; I doubt any extra will the harm the government."

Janet gaped like a goldfish before disappearing out of the door. She returned a few minutes later with her laptop. She laid it on the floor beside Sam's and started writing up the report.

"Finally! Stupid artefact notes! Anyway, what have I got?"

Sam flicked through some sheets and gave a couple to Daniel.

"Recommendations for promotion? Can I put you on it?"

Sam laughed.

"If you do, make it realistic. What's the other?"

"The rumour mill of the SGC! The General wants a report on how far it's progressed!"

They all burst into hopeless giggles. Daniel turned around and started to type. The room fell silent as Sam examined the last sheet. She let out a great guffaw of laughter before passing the sheet to Daniel, who looked totally shocked.

"This is outrageous! 'Define your relationship with Daniel Jackson'! How the hell are you going to write that?"

Sam smiled innocently.

"Just as easily as you are going to recommend my promotion!"

Daniel shook his head and handed the sheet back to her.

It took them until four in the morning to finish all his reports. Sam dumped the whole pile on General Hammond's desk before heading for some sleep. Daniel decided he needed to eat, so Teal'c, Janet and him headed for the canteen. They drank coffee and ate chocolate cake until seven o'clock, when they were due for a briefing.

General Hammond couldn't quite believe what he was seeing. The massive pile of paper on his desk seemed to all be from Jack. He leafed through it and was amazed at the neat precision of his writing. Then it hit him. He rung the main gates and they told him that the Colonel hadn't even checked in that morning. The general put the phone down and smiled uneasily. If the rest of SG1 were typing Jack's reports, then Jack must be in one of his blue moods. Even the General hadn't failed to hear of the 'mood system'; it had spread pretty quickly through the SGC. Truth be told, the reports were excellent, far better then any he had received from Jack in the last few months. And now that he knew who had written them, he picked up the little hints that told him who had written each report. In the end, he decided they could be accepted but that the briefing this morning would not contain any mission details...

At half-past seven there was still no sign of Jack, so the General started the meeting without him.

"We are not here to discuss the mission. We are here to discuss reports."

At his remark, everyone seated lowered their faces to the table.

"I know that you've been writing Jack's reports but would like to know who wrote what."

Sam was the first to raise her hand.

"Threat assessment of the Tok'ra, sir. And Daniel's relationship with the Colonel."

"I have written threat assessments of the Asgard and the Nox, General Hammond."

"I wrote the promotion list, General. And the rumour mill report."

"I wrote the psychological evaluation, sir."

"And the rest?"

"Mission reports? We did a few of those each."

The general sighed. They had shown teamwork without their CO and had shouldered all his responsibilities. Someone had even said they had seen them inspecting the locker rooms, something the Colonel had specially requested. They obviously knew they shouldn't have but had done them all the same. It was the best piece of teamwork he had seen in a while. Everyone had been affected by Charlie's leaving and, eight months on, with no word from her or the Tok'ra, the base had settled into grieving. Jack was taking it the worst, barely acknowledging her existence, yet alone his own grief. And now this. It was Jack who had him worried. There was one question he had to ask before he called Mackenzie, which he knew SG1 would be against, considering what had happened last time.

"Off-world, who leads your missions?"

Sam and Daniel glanced at each other nervously. How could they tell him of Jack's depressive moods, attempted suicide and Sam's consequential decision to lead SG1? Jack hadn't even objected, only told her to have fun. Now, he was just 'along for the ride', making practically no contribution to the missions.

"General Hammond, I believe my friends feel unable to speak. I, however, feel it necessary to inform you of Colonel O'Neill's current psychological state."

It was a long speech for the usually succinct Jaffa. General Hammond nodded for him to continue.

"Colonel O'Neill has been...distracted and easily angered of late. On one mission, to P7A 949..."

Sam and Daniel both stood up at once.

"You can't tell them that!"

"We made a promise, Teal'c."

General Hammond stared at the team in shock. What had they been keeping from him?

"Please continue, Teal'c."

The Jaffa nodded, giving his colleagues a stern look. They both sat down.

"On P7A 989, Colonel O'Neill was separated from us. Daniel Jackson found him, holding his own gun to his head. With much persuasion, he surrendered to us and informed Major Carter that she was in command. We vowed to never speak of the matter again. I am sorry."

Teal'c nodded to his friends, who were determined not to meet his eye. General Hammond sucked in a breath, not quite believing what he had heard. Jack was suicidal! He quickly stood up.

"Teal'c, Sam, Daniel; I want you to go to Jack's house. Bring him here. I'm phoning Mackenzie..."

"No sir!"

"You can't do that!"

"Are you questioning me, Major? Doctor?"

They both turned sullenly towards the door. The general reached for his phone before he realised Teal'c and Janet were still behind him.

"Yes?"

"It would be inadvisable to include Mackenzie in this situation."

"I agree with him, sir."

"Reasons?"

"He'll send him to rehab, sir. He doesn't need that right now. What he needs if for his damn girlfriend to come back through the flipping Gate!"

The general had never seen Janet so angry. Teal'c was also pretty mad.

"I concur, General. Could we not contact the Tok'ra?"

"How Teal'c? Tell me that!"

"The Tollan communicator, sir."

The general raised an eyebrow. He had forgotten that!

"Get Major Carter and Doctor Jackson back here! You two, go to Jack's and bring him here. Go!"

They ran out of the door. The general sighed. Why was life so complicated?

Janet pulled into Jack's drive. All the curtains were closed and the post lay on the doorstep. Teal'c strode up the garden path and rung the doorbell. They waited for several minutes before ringing again. There was a hushed curse but still no one came to the door. Teal'c looked at Janet and she nodded her assent. He shouldered the door, knocking it open. They went in cautiously, shocked at what greeted them. Jack was sprawled on the sofa, absently flicking through TV channels. There was a strong stench of alcohol and several cigarette ends lay in the ashtray on the table. Janet's eyes widened. Jack hadn't smoked since the Abydos mission. Teal'c was also surprised. Janet whispered to him softly.

"I'll wait outside. Try and get him to come. Don't start a fight."

Teal'c nodded and Janet fled, closing the front door behind her. Teal'c moved slowly to the sofa. Jack looked up with blood-shot eyes. He sat up slightly, and patted the seat next to him. Teal'c took it. Jack passed him a bottle of beer, popping the lid with his thumb. Teal'c drank the whole bottle in one go and held out his hand for another. Jack smiled drunkenly and gave him a wine bottle.

"Thank you, O'Neill. I must ask you; why are you inebriated?"

"It...helps, Teal'c. It shuts away the pain."

"I've tried many a practice myself, O'Neill. They do not work."

Jack sighed and put down his beer. Teal'c took a swig from his and then did likewise.

"It doesn't, does it?"

He paused for a moment before continuing. He seemed to have sobered up as well, for which Teal'c was glad.

"She was beautiful, wasn't she? Now I know how Daniel feels. To have your love stolen by the Gourld, to not know whether she was alive or dead. It's...not fair."

Jack broke down at his own words, burying his face in his hands. Teal'c patted his back, unsure how to help his friend further. Then he found it.

"I knew not the fate of Drey'ac, O'Neill. My wife was taken from her home for my betrayal, as was my son. We have all suffered by the Goa'uld, my friend. All of us."

Jack nodded slowly and wiped his eyes.

"Sorry about that. Don't know what came over me."

"You were a little green, O'Neill."

Jack raised an eyebrow. Teal'c smiled.

"I will explain later, O'Neill. Now we have more pressing matters. The General requires your presence at the SGC."

Jack nodded and stood up, swaying slightly. Teal'c supported him as they went outside, into the sunlight.

"Well, it still works. Whether the Tok'ra come, is another matter."

Sam sighed and Daniel sat back on his hands. They were at the top of Cheyenne Mountain, setting off the little device.

"What, exactly, does it send, Sam? Can we send a message?"

"No idea. You were the one who saw it working."

Daniel picked up the little box and inspected the glyphs. He pressed some of them, one by one, and they lit up. The top flew open and his message appeared on the screen. He pressed another glyph and the ray of light sped up into the sky. Sam looked at him, obviously impressed.

"Cuneiform. Very useful sometimes."

Sam smiled. She started to get up but Daniel pulled her down.

"Sam, I have something to say to you."

Sam looked at him inquiringly, but didn't say anything.

"I think we should get a divorce."

Sam's eyes widened. She knew it was only a convenience marriage but divorce? It hurt her so much and she couldn't work out why.

"Why...Daniel?"

Daniel swallowed.

"I think it's unnecessary. We have Charlie but she might not want us anymore, Sam. I think she'll be different and I think we are too."

Sam couldn't believe what she was hearing. Then it hit her. There was a reason why she didn't want a divorce. It was more than just a convenience marriage; it was love. She was in love with Daniel and he wanted a divorce!

"It may...be a convenience marriage to you Daniel but it's become...so much more to me. You bastard, leaving me now."

Sam stood up and strode off, ignoring the pleading calls behind her.

Jack staggered into the Briefing Room. Janet helped him into a chair while the General just stared. Sam strode in behind him, looking extremely angry. Jack looked up at her, eyes wide.

"What's up, Sam?"

She snarled at him and pulled up a chair, backwards so that her chin was resting on the back.

"Daniel's a bastard."

Jack eyed her carefully, working out whether she was serious. She most definitely was. The General decided to ignore the remark and continued with the issue at hand.

"Did you send it?"

"Yes, we did."

Jack's interest was peaked now. Send what? To who?"

"Sir?"

The General was about to answer him when the Gate began to dial. He stood up and ran down the stairs, Sam hot on his heels. Teal'c and Janet helped Jack to his feet and took him down the stairs. Janet muttered something about anti-intoxicants and dashed to the infirmary.

The Gate had only reached its third chevron when Daniel burst in, obviously flustered. He tried to catch Sam's eye but she turned away.

"I think we have a problem."

Everyone turned to him, with the exception of Sam, who was far more interested in the Gate. He seemed extremely hurt but didn't elaborate.

"I think the Gourld may have intercepted our signal. If they did, the Tok'ra will be under attack, sir."

The General absorbed this information, eyeing the Gate carefully.

"Shut the iris, until we receive a GDO signal."

The technician nodded and the iris rolled over the Gate. The seventh chevron locked and blue light danced over the back wall.

"Tok'ra GDO, sir."

"Open the iris!"

The General ran down the next flight of steps, followed by SG1. Janet appeared at the bottom and jabbed a needle into Jack's arm. He immediately felt his head clear and he ran with the rest of his team. They arrived in the doorway just in time.

Several Tok'ra spilled into the room, but none they recognised. Guns were instantly raised. One clutched the GDO limply while another supported him. Most of them were injured but everyone's eyes were still fixed on the Gate.

There was a massive flash of light from the Gate and the Tok'ra backed away. Someone flew out of the Gate and hit the wall. Two more figures stumbled out behind, instantly rolling to their knees. It was Martouf and Selmak! Sam, Jack and Daniel ran over to the two familiar faces but Teal'c was more concerned with the person who had hit the wall. He knelt beside the figure and slowly turned them over. Her long black hair tumbled out of her hood and her tanned face sported many bruises but she was unmistakable: Charlie. Teal'c shouted to the others but they weren't listening. Martouf and Selmak were now unconscious and many of the other Tok'ra were clattering to the floor. Teal'c picked up Charlie, cradling her gently in his arms.

"Janet! Help me, please!"

The Doctor turned and half-screamed. That got their attention! Janet ran over to Teal'c, checking Charlie for a pulse. She nodded and then indicated the door. They both ran for the infirmary.

Jack, Sam and Daniel still hadn't realised who Teal'c was carrying and, in all the excitement, had forgotten why the Tok'ra were there in the first place. Several medics had arrived and were transporting the unconscious Tok'ra to the infirmary. The rest of SG1 decided to follow.

Teal'c laid Charlie on the bed, moving away so that Janet could look her over. She seemed to have changed greatly; her hair was extremely long and her youthful face was creased with lines of worry and weariness. Teal'c thought she looked pale, even paler than when she had left the SGC all those months ago. Several new patients arrived but Janet kept up her examination.

"Well, she came through the Gate at tremendous speed, it's surprising she's still here. It seems she put out her arms to stop herself and hit her head before bouncing off. One arm is broken, the other sprained. She has a massive concussion; maybe a haemorrhage, possible subdural haematoma..."

Teal'c could only understand a few words of Janet's speech but realised it was bad. Janet tucked Charlie's hair back into her head and examined her scalp carefully.

"I think we'll need an MRI scan at least, and several x-rays. Stay with her, Teal'c and inform the General and the rest of SG1. If she arrests, call for help."

Teal'c nodded. He had been in the infirmary enough to know what she was saying. Then the rest of SG1 walked in.

"Where'd you go, Teal'c?"

"Yeah, who was with you?"

Teal'c couldn't believe their blindness. He pointed slowly to Charlie, lying unconscious on the bed. They all turned and gasped. They stood perfectly still, unmoving in the face of a nightmare. Jack was the first to move, pulling up a chair to sit beside her. He took her hand carefully, clasping it tightly. Sam and Daniel slowly came to their senses and moved beside her as well, careful to sit on opposite sides of the bed. Teal'c still stood protectively at her head, watching over her as if she were his own child. Janet walked in on the scene and had to physically drag Daniel away to reach her patient. Teal'c stepped aside to let her pass, his face grave. Everyone had suffered during Charlie's absence, and Janet and Teal'c had stopped seeing each other only last week.

Across the room, Martouf stirred. Sam stood up slowly and moved beside him, carefully avoiding the pain in Daniel's eyes.

"Martouf, what happened?"

The Tok'ra's eyes slowly came into focus and he smiled painfully.

"The Goa'uld intercepted your signal. They attacked. Selmak, Charlene and I were shot many times. Just as Charlene entered the chapa'ai, a death glider shot her. You must check her..."

Jack felt anger rise at the sound of more than just concern in Martouf's voice. He would have to have words with Mr snaky-butt Tok'ra. Jack could feel his old strength returning and his delight at Charlie's return. However, something else haunted his thoughts: memories of losing her, the vulnerability, and the hopelessness of it all. She stirred, moaning softly before sinking back into unconsciousness. Then Jack noticed something. Clutched tightly beneath her fingers, a small shoot of brown was visible. Jack gently opened her fingers and gasped. Daniel bent over his shoulder and a solitary tear rolled down his cheek. Jack lifted up the fragile flower and held it to the light. There was no question: it was a rose. His rose.

Daniel couldn't quite believe his eyes. For eight months, Charlie had kept the dead rose with her, reminding herself of her friends and her loves back on Earth. Then Daniel noticed something else. He lifted her collar and fingered the necklace beneath.Charlene forever. The ribbon was dirty and frayed but the golden disk remained as beautiful as ever. Daniel remembered it well; he had got Sergeant Siler to engrave the cartouche onto the disk for Charlie's birthday, which they were due to celebrate the weekend after she left them.

Sam had been particularly quiet that day. Daniel couldn't believe he had missed it. Now it was too late. He gazed over at his wife as she talked to Martouf. A spike of jealously pierced his heart and he tried to suppress it. He had not been entirely truthful with Sam. Yes, he was afraid Charlie would have changed, but the truth was that he couldn't cope. His feelings for Sam had gone beyond mere friendship, as they had tried to pretend, and he couldn't face it again. He still grieved for Sha're and had found his salvation in Sam. Now he had to let go. He tore his eyes away from his beautiful wife and turned back to his daughter. Why was it always the innocent? Why did they have to suffer the pain? He held Charlie's hand as Jack whispered softly to her, words of comfort and affection, pleading and desire. Daniel stood up and walked away. There was still too much heartache.

Sam watched her husband leave. Why was he so desperate for a divorce? Couldn't he see that she loved him? Sam excused herself and headed for the door. She was going to knock some sense into her blind husband if it was the last thing she did!

Hot, numbingly hot. Hotter than the Tok'ra tunnels, hotter than the painful Kunja'lo: Charlie fought her way to consciousness. She had to know, she had to be sure: was she in the SGC? Her eyes flew open as the pain coursed through her. She spoke the first word that came to mind.

"Jack...?"

A soothing hand was laid across her forehead, its chill penetrating her brain. Her eyes slowly came into focus and she saw Jack leaning over her, a worried frown across his face.

"I'm here, Charlie. Don't worry now, you're safe."

Safe? She had been safe with Dakatte, with Anja, with Martouf but now? Now she was protected. Jack called to someone across the room. Janet swam into view, brandishing a syringe. The needle pierced her skin and the heat died and her senses awakened.

"Mum? Dad?"

Her mouth was dry and her words were no more than a gasp. Jack held a straw to her lips and the trickle of water was like a desert kiss. She licked her lips and repeated her questions.

" They're well. No idea where they are, though. They seemed pretty mad at each other."

"Why?"

Jack lowered his head and he flushed red, biting down on his bottom lip. Charlie pulled herself up and tilted his chin with her hand. He was crying. Charlie was concerned now. She raised her fingers to his eyes and brushed away his tears, pressing her hand to his face. He mirrored her action and she relaxed against his palm. She looked him in the eye.

"Tell me Jack. I need to know."

"No you don't Charlie. You'll just get upset..."

"I won't."

Her voice was firm compared to his hushed tones. He looked up and met her eyes, glinting steel behind those dark orbs.

"Tell me."

So Jack began his story of the past eight months. As Charlie listened, her heart sank. They cared so much and she had offered them so little. When he retold the mission to P7A 989, Charlie was horrified.

"Oh Jack, no! Suicide...but why?"

Jack's reply was simple.

"Because I couldn't live without you."

He got up slowly and left to get some air, Charlie gazing after him. It was then that Teal'c sat beside Charlie, laying a hand on her shoulder. She looked up at him and smiled.

"Hello Teal'c."

She wanted to continue, she wanted to tell him her troubles but she was unsure. Teal'c seemed to understand.

"I am Ka'rec, Charlene. You may trust me."

Charlie smiled as a tear escaped her eye. Her lip quivered and she leaned against Teal'c, sobbing into his jacket.

"I didn't expect it to be like this, Teal'c. I have hurt them, Jack to the point of suicide. Oh Teal'c, he was going to kill himself because of me! And now Mum and Dad are fighting and I'm the reason! Why did it turn out this way?"

Teal'c listened to her talk but answers were not forthcoming. What could he say? That she was right? Offer hollow reassurances? Teal'c settled for the truth.

"Fate is unfair, Charlene. This is not your fault. The Goa'uld are evil, my to'var. We must fight their influence."

Charlie looked up at his words, puzzled by what he had said. What did the Goa'uld have to do with this?

"The Goa'uld? But, Teal'c, what has this..."

"Everything, to'var. The Goa'uld enslaved you and took you away from us. They kept you away so long that we suffered. I do not blame the Tok'ra, they are our friends, but the Tok'sokar and the System Lords are to blame."

Charlie considered his words and found that they had merit. She settled against him and relaxed in his arms.

Janet was jealous. Teal'c talked patiently to Charlie, as she cried in his arms and Janet watched as she felt him leave her. She knew she was being selfish, Charlie needed him a lot more than she did, but it just felt wrong to see him with another. She swallowed hard and turned away.

Sam knew where she would find him. He always escaped there when things got too tough. Not that it was much of an escape. There was always someone in the locker rooms but it had become Daniel's refuge lately. Sam slipped through the door and observed him silently. He had taken off his shirt and was staring at something in his lap. Suddenly he looked up, his eyes hard.

"Why did you come here?"

Sam was quite taken aback.

"Free country, Daniel. Since when did you hide from me?"

"Since you stopped caring!"

Daniel leapt to his feet, eyes blazing with rage. Sam was on the verge of tears but she swallowed them down.

"I stopped caring? Since when were you so economical withyourlove Daniel Jackson? I mean, you gave it to Kira, Shyla-evenHathor, for God's sake!"

No matter how angry she was, Sam would never bring Sha're into the argument. Daniel, however, was past caring.

"You forgot one Sam. Sha're, mytruewife! You're not a substitute Sam: you're a convenience!"

He knew he had hurt her now and she let the tears flow freely.

"How can you be so cruel? If you don't love me, then at least think of Charlie!"

Daniel stopped then. Their argument had carried them within mere inches of each other and the proximity was making him shiver. He couldn't quite believe what she had said.

"You...you...you love me?"

Sam looked at him in pity.

"You didn't notice. You didn't even notice."

He voice was a whisper, a ghost of her clear, strong voice. Daniel stepped forward and placed his hands on her shoulders. She flinched and tried to get away. Daniel's face spread into a smile.

"I love you too, Samantha Jackson."

Sam's eyes widened in surprise. Daniel bent closer and their lips met. Sam replied with passion and pushed him against the lockers, her hand cupping his head. He grasped her neck tightly and she pressed herself against him.

There was a low whistle from behind them but they ignored it. Eventually, Sam's curiosity got the better of her and she eased herself off Daniel, to face the 'intruder'. Daniel coughed nervously and Sam gave an awkward smile. Jack O'Neill stood in the door, one eyebrow raised in an unconscious impression of Teal'c.

"Well, it took you long enough!"

Daniel blinked in surprise. Of all the reactions he was expecting, that wasn't one of them. Jack smiled casually and walked into the room.

"Now that you're finished..."

Sam could feel her face reddening and glanced up. Daniel's was the same.

"Your daughter just woke up. She's asking for you."

Sam made her way towards the door and Daniel started to put his shirt on. When Sam was clear, Jack eyed Daniel carefully.

"I take it that's a new occurrence?"

Daniel smiled faintly and followed his wife. Jack chuckled to himself and went out as well.

"So Brian was reassigned? And Graham's still here? How about Lou? Y'know, Ferretti?"

"Lou Ferretti still commands SG2, Charlene."

"For heaven's sake Teal'c! Call me Charlie."

"That's what I've been trying to tell him."

Charlie looked up and smiled.

"Dad..."

Daniel came over and hugged her tightly. Sam looped an arm around her shoulder and Charlie felt happier than she had felt for a long time. When she was free of her parents, she turned to Jack, who was standing in the doorway.

"Come here, you idiot!"

Sam and Daniel turned to Jack, expecting a red reaction. Instead, he smiled and walked over. Charlie sat up higher and held out her arms. Jack stepped into them and lifted her out of the bed. She was still in her Tok'ra robes and her hood slipped. A mass of long, black hair flew out and hit Jack in the face. He was amazed.

"Wow! Nice hair."

Charlie smiled and Sam laughed. Jack put her back down and she grimaced. She had forgotten her broken arm! Janet came up now with a plaster mixture for her arm. Jack muttered apologies but Charlie shrugged.

"Don't worry. It'll heal."

Across the room, someone listened. They felt their host protest but silenced it. Silently, they moved from the room.

"A murder?"

"One of the Tok'ra was found dead in the corridor. Doctor Frasier's performing an autopsy."

"Who was it?"

Charlie was up and about now but her arm was still in plaster. She had opted for fatigues over her robes and her hair was braided into a neat plait. She had been invited to this briefing, along with the rest of SG1 and now voiced her concerns.

"Martouf said he was called Dakatte."

Charlie's eyes widened. Dakatte! Oh, Hermione wouldn't like tha...Charlie stopped herself. The memories were still painful and she wasn't planning to resurrect any demons right now. Metaphorically, of course. Suddenly a thought struck her. Was the Goa'uld still intact? She was about to raise her question but something stopped her.Something.

"You knew him, Charlie?"

Jack had noticed her reaction and was surprised when she shook her head.

"Selmak mentioned him once, that's all."

Jack studied her face for a moment and was sure he had seen a flicker in those expressive eyes.Expressive. Well, they used to be expressive. Now, they were just a tool for her, something to use, not revel in. Jack remembered gazing at those eyes, knowing exactly what she was thinking, feeling, contemplating. But that emotion was gone. All that remained was dull, lifeless orbs, looking but notseeing. She worried Jack with her sense of detachment, from him and the rest of reality. Maybe they were strangers now. There hadn't been a moment during those eight months that Jack had not thought of her. But was it the same for her?

"Well, sir, is that all? I have hockey to watch."

The General smiled. He could see the fire in Jack's eyes, the revival of hope and spirit. However, Charlie really wasn't herself. If they could've even guess at 'herself'. Sam and Daniel were also different, more alive and a little dopier as well. He had agreed to their marriage in the hope that it was strictly professional. Yeah right, George, who were you kidding? It was obvious that they had decided to bring love into the equation and the General couldn't think of two people who deserved it more. Except perhaps, Jack and Charlie. That was another point: their relationship had disappeared. Even the rumour mill had ignored it, except to speculate as to why it had stopped. It was either a deep secret or purely non-existent. Unfortunately, the General leaned toward the latter, wondering himself. He dismissed his premier team and their 'appendage'. Why wasn't anything simple anymore?

Charlie headed for her office. She knew her dad would be with her mum somewhere and the office always had a lock. She slipped through the door, turned quickly to lock the door and then closed down the blinds. She turned to sit in her chair. Trouble was, there was already someone in it.

"Lucy, I'm home!"

Charlie raised an eyebrow. Teal'c had once told her about that particular quote and she had savoured the thought of Jack in a holding cell, primeval instinct running through his veins. Charlie smiled now.

"Last time you quoted that was when you were recovering from a pre-Broca throw-back. You trying to tell me something?"

Jack's lips twitched but he held his calm expression.

"I have a bone to pick with you."

Charlie almost laughed. She would bet any money that Jack hadn't realised the pun of his words. Talking about cavemen, bones...oh please! Charlie shook her head, shoulders shaking with self-restraint.

"What's so funny?"

Charlie's shoulders shook even more and Jack wondered whether she was having a seizure. He had decided to find out what was up with her, see what he could do. She looked up now and he gasped. Her eyes were sparkling, light radiating from those mystic jewels. She moved slowly towards him and began to circle the chair. Jack tried to ignore her and concentrated on looking straight ahead.

"You wanted to talk? So, talk."

Jack licked his lips and then launched into his speech.

"Charlie, I don't know what you're feeling but you're being very distant. Please, let me in, okay? I want to be part of you, Charlie, know you, but I can't do that if you push me away."

He noted that she had stopped circling him but couldn't quite work out where she was. Suddenly a hand appeared on his neck, sending shivers down his spine. He turned the chair ever so slowly and one singular sixteen-year-old slid provocatively into his lap. He gazed at her, wondering yet again how he could be so lucky. He was 45, for crying out loud! She was 16 and she was in love with him, as much as he was in love with her. He knew it would be useless to tell her not to fall in love because even though they wouldn't have much time together, they would be okay. Jack often thought of whether he should remarry. Of course, if it were to Charlie, what would he be doing to her? When he...was gone, what would she do? Pushing these thoughts aside, the young girl pressed her lips to his, arms around his neck. He responded passionately, throwing himself into the kiss. He managed to push her across his lap, bending over in the kiss now. Somehow, they rolled onto the floor, laughing as they went. Then there was a loud knock.

"Charlie? Are you in there? Have you seen Jack?"

"Leave her alone, Daniel. It's probably nothing."

Charlie offered Jack an apologetic grin before easing herself off her decidedly older lover. She righted the chair and smoothed down her shirt. Slowly, she went for the door, turning the key slowly in the lock. Daniel rampaged through, to see Jack straightening his jacket and offering a dashing smile.

"Hey pops. Thought Charlie and I could catch up on old times."

Daniel's eyes widened and Sam cocked her head to one side. Charlie smiled brightly and dived out of the room before hell broke loose. Daniel looked at Jack reproachfully and Sam thought that she should also make her escape. She followed Charlie down the corridor and Daniel slammed the door behind her.

"What did you do?"

Jack raised an eyebrow. Daniel's voice was shaking with rage and he looked as if would hit Jack at any second.

"I could court martial you, Daniel."

"I don't care. What did you do to my daughter?"

Daniel stepped forward now, his knuckles white. Jack backed off and met the wall.

"Nothing I swear, Dad. Just don't stress it."

Daniel's breathing slowed but he wouldn't let it drop.

"Stay away, Jack. Before, when it was restrained, I was okay with it. But now...can you tell me that you didn't consider sleeping with her? Honestly?"

Jack shifted. It had fleeted across his mind when Charlie had rolled him onto the floor. And it had seemed right. But Daniel had a point...

"See, you can't, can you? Keep away from my daughter, Jack. You don't deserve her."

This drove Jack too far. He stepped forward and almost raised his fist. Daniel held his ground, rage still flaring in his eyes.

"Maybe if just stopped playing the protective parent for a few seconds and considered your actual daughter. Doesn't she have the right to choo..."

Daniel drove his fist firmly into Jack's jaw, sending him into the wall. Jack blinked in surprise as Daniel laid into him again and again. He slid to the floor and Daniel backed off, guilt flooding him. He turned and ran.

Daniel fled along the corridor, trying to escape the scene he had just created. What had he been thinking? He collided straight into Lieutenant Simmons. Daniel muttered an apology and tried to run off. Graham caught his shirt and held him, swinging him round. Daniel blinked in confusion.

"Graham? What's up?"

Graham raised his hand, displaying a Goa'uld ribbon device. Daniel tried to speak, scream, warn the SGC, but no sound came. The orange light rippled through his skull and he sank to the floor, unconscious.

A few hours later, Sam decided to return to Daniel's office. It was time to check up on her husband, maybe catch a few minutes together...She knocked sharply on the door. When no one answered, she gently pushed the door open. She gasped at the sight before her. Her CO was crumpled on the floor, blood pooling around him.

"What took you so long...?"

Sam just froze, her mind making conclusions her heart didn't want to hear. Charlie heard her gasp and came up behind her. She screamed and ran to Jack, propping him up gently and looking at the ugly bruise forming on his head.

"Get Janet, Mum!"

Sam just stood there, shock permeating her brain. Charlie glared at her and she staggered out and broke into a run.

Charlie looked over Jack, leaning him onto her shoulder. He was muttering to himself but Charlie knew he was probably delirious. She probed the back of his head and was worried to find blood. She wasn't a medic and decided to just hold him until Janet came. Who could've done this? An answer flew to her mind and she was appalled at her own conclusion. But her dad...she set it aside, concentrating instead on the man in her arms. He seemed to be coming to.

"Jack? Are you alright? Jack, speak to me!"

"Daniel..."

Oh no. Don't say that, please don't say that! Suddenly Janet was at her side, calling to the nurses behind her. Charlie leaned Jack towards the wall and Janet patted her shoulder. Charlie was shocked at the blood on her clothes, from her own lover.

"How did it happen?"

Charlie was brought back to reality by Janet's soft question.

"Dad..."

Janet's eyes widened. Daniel? Oh, surely not, not their quiet archaeologist...it just wasn't like him.Like him.Oh no, they were not going down that road again, no more Goa'uld at the SGC! Janet just patted Charlie's shoulder as the young girl helped the medics lift Jack's inert form onto the gurney for transport. Sam was still standing to one side, shocked into silence. Janet had seen the horror on her face as she had rushed into the infirmary. She had just managed to breathe out 'Jack...Daniel's office ...hurry' before she began shaking uncontrollably. Janet knew why Sam was so upset now: her husband could've beaten Jack and she probably thought she could've stopped it. She might've done but she didn't and now Janet had to concentrate on her patient. Next stop would be Daniel but now Jack needed her attention. It didn't look like anything life-threatening but Janet wanted to be sure. It also didn't look like Jack had got in any answering blows; the only blood on his clothes was his own. Once she was satisfied that Jack was safe, she turned to the two duly frightened women standing in her office.

"He's quite lucky. One cracked rib, a few cuts, bruises, but otherwise he's fine. Now, about this fight..."

"We went to Daniel's office. The door was locked. Daniel called through and Charlie opened the door. Jack was standing behind her and Daniel kinda flipped. Charlie and I left. I thought Charlie wouldn't want to hear it."

Janet breathed a sigh of relief. Over-protective, she could understand, even if it did lead to a fight. At least, Daniel had a motive. Now, to find him...

"Do you know where Daniel is?"

Suddenly Nurse Gibson burst into the room, her tear-streaked face instantly attracting Janet's attention.

"He's gone, Janet. Just...gone."

"Who, Louise? Who's gone?"

"Graham. He left...this."

Janet took the piece of paper. The top half was in English but the rest...she began to read it out.

"To my Louise,

I know things haven't been easy but I have to leave. You will understand soon. Give this letter to Samantha Jackson and hope she has the intelligence to work it out. I have her husband and I will kill him if I have to. Tell her to hurry. Before it's too late.

Graham.'

Sam looked over the letter, pouring over the alien text beneath, tears surfacing in her eyes and dripping onto the paper. Charlie placed a hand on her mother's shoulder, brushing at her own tears.

"Daniel could've translated it..."

Janet bit her lip and went for her phone. She picked it up and dialled a number.

"General? We think Dr Jackson has been kidnapped. By who, sir? Graham Simmons. Okay sir."

Janet replaced the receiver and looked up at her friends.

"He's coming down now. Don't worry, we'll get him back."

"Get who back?"

Jack was sitting up, shooting inquiring glances at the three main women in his life. Wow, didn't that sound corny? Charlie flung herself at him, hugging him tightly. He gasped slightly but hugged her all the same. Eventually, she pulled away.

"Dad, Jack. He's been kidnapped."

Jack stared at her in disbelief. Oh great, now Daniel had got kidnapped! Something told him that Daniel was not having a good day.

"Oh just peachy. Who got him this time?"

"Graham Simmons."

"Oh come on! I know he had a crush on Carter, but this is ridiculous!"

Louise looked up at Sam who blushed slightly, tears still trickling down her cheeks. Just then the General and Teal'c rushed in, Teal'c brandishing his staff weapon. He looked extremely serious.

"It is good to see you well, O'Neill. Si, to'var?"

"Marien, kar'ec?"

"Beta Graham...I believe Graham has been overtaken by a Goa'uld."

"That's my conclusion as well."

Jack stared at the two, who were babbling away in a foreign language, with no consideration for their bewildered friends. However, Sam knew what to do.

"He left this note. Unfortunately, it's not English..."

Charlie took the letter from her and frowned. Teal'c peered over her shoulder and raised an eyebrow.

"I know not of this dialect."

"Well, it isn't Abydonian...I'll check some books."

The General stared at the command of a sixteen-year-old girl who kept calm in a crisis.

"You do that Charlene. Teal'c, go with her. Major, check the cameras. Doctor..."

He was interrupted by the base alarm: Unauthorised Activation. Sam and Teal'c ran through the corridors, followed closely by the General. They reached the Gate room just in time to see the Gate shut down. All the Gate technicians were slumped onto their desks. Sam ran up the stairs and shook them all awake. The General and Teal'c followed.

"What did you see? Tell me!"

"I...don't know! I turned...there was light...I passed out! I don't remember anything else."

"Someone has to!"

Teal'c quickly came up and put his hands on Sam's shoulders, stopping her before she could hurt someone. The General sighed. Why did he ever allow Sam and Daniel to get married? He placed a hand on Sam's arm before glaring at the airmen.

"Doesanyoneremember what happened?"

One man, the very newest recruit to the SGC, slowly raised his hand.

"It was Lieutenant Simmons, sir. He had...er...Doctor Jackson. He shot everyone with a...snake-thing..."

"I believe you refer to a Zat'nika'tel."

The marine looked nervously at the Jaffa, who merely raised an eyebrow.

"Uh...yeah. Well, he shot everyone. I cried out, told him to stop and he shot me as well. That's all I remember."

"It's enough, son. And the rest of you..."

The entire watch cringed.

"...Next time,pay attention!"

Jack chose that moment to make his appearance. A chorus of cadet-sharp 'yes sir's greeted him and he chuckled under his breath. The airmen and marines turned back to their controls, concentrating twice as hard. Even Sam managed a watery smile. Jack's crutches held him up slightly but otherwise he was his usual alert self. The General turned to what was left of SG1, noting the slumped shoulders and glum faces.

"Major, check the dialling computer. Even if the destination was erased, there should be some echo. Colonel, I need you to get better. Rest, go home if necessary. Just recover, okay? Teal'c, go and help Charlene with her translations. Dismissed people!"

They all nodded and went to their assigned tasks, glad to be doingsomething.

"Ettakau? What kind of word is that? And 'ynitcepxe'? That can't possibly be a word, can it?"

Charlie muttered to herself, pulling out several dictionaries with one hand, while holding the note in the other. She had quickly transposed it to the computer and was running standard European language checks. Not that she expected there to be match, but she had to start somewhere. Suddenly, two strong arms appeared and took the pile of books from her. She thanked them and then realised what had happened, looking up suddenly.

"Teal'c? Oh yeah, you're helping, aren't you? Right, well I'll fill you in."

Teal'c nodded and sat down. He looked around the untidy little office, noting the empty coffee cups and sheets of various languages, scribbled on by both pencil and pen as the two archaeologists had collaborated on the artefacts they'd found. His vision was drawn back to Charlie, as she began to speak, words punctuated with waves of her coffee cup.

"Well, it isn't Abydonian, Greek or Roman. And some of these words look real strange..."

The computer behind her started beeping and she turned quickly.

"Okay, so we can rule out any European languages. Let's see, we'll just have to look up each individual word..."

Teal'c was amazed at the girl's ability to jump subjects, missing out several stages of reasoning as her quick mind leapt to the conclusion.

"Right, you take the main genres and I'll work with the smaller cultures. Find anything, just shout. Oh and leave out the short words for now. Similar conjunctions and pronouns appear throughout languages, especially the ones we encounter through the Gate. Guess we have to thank the Goa'uld for that, huh?"

Teal'c smiled. Charlie was obviously worried but was trying to escape her fears through her work. Teal'c had noticed this tendency in humans and had discovered himself slipping into this 'routine' as well. He picked up a book and started on the first word.

Sam threw down her pen in frustration.

"Easy Carter! Don't damage the electronics."

Sam buried her head in her hands, feeling hot moisture escape them. Jack placed a hand on her shoulder but she shrugged him off.

"Leave me alone sir. I can fail by myself."

"Okay Carter, if you really don't want the cookies..."

Sam looked up at the bag of chocolate-walnut cookies dangling in front of her face.

"They're Daniel's favourites..."

"I know. He got me hooked as well."

Sam smiled weakly and took the bag gratefully. She ripped open the seal and took a cookie, stuffing it into her mouth. She heard a throat being cleared behind her and she smiled, despite her mouth being full of cookie.

"Was that a concession? Haven't you heard the new SG1 rule: He who brings cookies gets his fair share?"

Sam passed the bag to her CO, who grinned. He took a cookie but simply held it in front of his face, as if studying it. Sam glanced at him and lifted an eyebrow. Jack laughed and took a bite out of the cookie.

"Sorry. It's just..."

"Daniel always lectures about the cookie before he even takes a bite."

Jack gave her a side-long glance and Sam laughed.

"He gives you that lecture too?"

"Yeah. Except that, being his wife, I hear it a lot more often."

"I'll bet you do."

Sam swung at him and they both collapsed onto the floor, tickling each other and fighting over the bag of cookies. If a stranger had come in then, they would have jumped to the conclusion that Sam and Jack were a couple, taken their actions as proof of their 'love'. But in just observing Sam and Daniel or Jack and Charlie, the difference was truly frightening. It was easy banter between Sam and Jack but it was sweet romance that drew them to their partners. Jack and Sam collapsed in laughter, forgetting for that single second all their worries and heartache and just being normal, living human beings. Then all the woes came flooding back and the two got to their feet, brushing down uniforms that were creased and covered in cookie remains. Jack gave Sam a jaunty salute as she went off to find the General, to admit her failure.

"Damn it all to hell!"

Teal'c watched Charlie in fascination, as she began swearing in several different languages, one of which was Abydonian. Teal'c raised an eyebrow as she cursed Graham to Sokar and induced the wrath of Ra upon him. When she had finished, Teal'c decided that he must admit his failure.

"I have found nothing, Charlie."

"Me neither, kar'ec. Can you find something for me to strangle?"

Charlie now started pulling random books out of the shelves, thumbing through pages of foreign words, which made no sense to her at all. Teal'c quickly saw the futility of this endeavour.

"This isn't helping, to'var."

Sighing, Charlie slammed the book shut and slumped into her chair. She was about to close a textbook that had fallen when she had started pulling out books, but stopped suddenly. Blowing away a fine layer of dust, she spread a hand over the words, translating under her breath. When she looked up, a new hope shone from her eyes.

"What is it, to'var?"

"I think I know what we're doing wrong. It says here that the crown of Apophis was rumoured to use a uniquecodingsystem. What if the dead Tok'ra..."

"Was actually aTok'sokarand used a code to write his message!"

Teal'c and Charlie smiled at each other and ran to their desks.

"Think of any codes you know, Teal'c. Try them all on the message. Let me know what you find.""

Charlie ran to her computer and logged onto the Internet.

"What is your pursuit, to'var?"

"I'm using a new coding principle. Firstly, basic transliteration..."

Charlie began to mutter again, sometimes lapsing into her native Hindi and even into Abydonian as she worked. Her dad's influence was rubbing off on her; whenever he was alone with Charlie, he would run through several languages, just to keep their linguistic skills up to scratch. She squinted at the computer, rubbing at her eyes every few seconds. Teal'c suddenly remembered something. He went to Daniel's desk and opened the drawer. Smiling, he took out her glasses and handed them to Charlie. She grinned and slipped them on her nose. Suddenly she stopped and logged off the Internet, her fingers dancing over the keys. Teal'c watched what she was doing closely; Daniel often did this, hurrying through tasks when he had had a flash of inspiration. She opened a text document containing the message. It had read:

Ettakau. Dog ynitcepxe el blie wl. Wavivruy sr moy frasseces ne ihe. So me tnelrahg cniru bon yehu woo yd tenrutee rl blie wg. Hnidie hre ae wrehk waluho ce tmot. Cnegilletne iru aoo ys.

She quickly selected a function: REVERSAL OF TEXT FORMAT. The computer quickly worked through the function and a box flashed on the scene. Charlie closed it and stared at the screen. Teal'c peered over her shoulder, at the new text of the message. It read:

Sy ooa uri entelligenc. Tomt ec ohulaw kherw ea erh eidinh. Gw eilb lr eeturnet dy oow uhey nob urinc gharlent em os. Ehi en secessarf yom rs yurvivaw, Lw eilb le expectiny god. Uakatte.

Charlie suddenly clicked her fingers. She began to type, swapping letters within the text. Teal'c quickly saw what she was doing and smiled. She had cracked it. With a final triumphant 'enter', the message was revealed:

So you are intelligent. Come to Chulak where we are hiding. He will be returned to you when you bring Charlene to me. She is necessary for my survival. We will be expecting you. Dakatte.

Charlie sat back and admired her work, taking the message in properly for the first time.

"Oh no..."

Teal'c patted her shoulder awkwardly.

"We shall rescue Daniel Jackson, to'var. You need not sacrifice yourself."

"He'll hunt me down, come for me here. He needs me and he'll come..."

Charlie seemed to be in some kind of trance, mindlessly reciting some conditioned response, from where Teal'c didn't know, but he had seen the Goa'uld employ such a purpose before. Gently, he saved the file to a Tau'ri diskette and removed it from the computer. He placed it in his pocket and lifted Charlie into his arms. She was still muttering, occasionally drifting into Abydonian, confirming Teal'c's suspicions.

He carried her to the infirmary, ignoring the inquiring looks he got from the marines and airmen he passed. Placing her on a bed, he called for Janet. The petite doctor ran in, eyebrows raised.

"What the hell happened?"

"We had just finished the translation. The letter required Charlie to sacrifice herself to Graham Simmons. I tried to dissuade her from such action but she started to...panic. She will not stop."

"You did the right thing, Teal'c. What's this about the translation? Get it up to General Hammond; he'll have Jack and Sam with him."

Teal'c concluded that Janet had not been listening properly but ignored it. He ran up to the Briefing Room, where the General, Jack and Sam were indeed waiting.

"I have important news: the translation is complete."

Sam looked up and held out her hand. Teal'c passed her the diskette and she uploaded the file. Sighing, she sat back in her chair.

"Wow, she's clever. You see the second part; that's Daniel's favourite code. And reversing the text...of course, no wonder we didn't see it. I thought it was a language, I should've known..."

"Don't beat yourself up, Sam! This is NOT your fault!"

Jack placed a firm hand on Sam's shoulder and she brushed at her eyes.

"Why is it always Daniel? I mean, first Nem, then Shyla, and then Hathor and, now, Graham, or Dakatte or whatever."

"Dakatte! I knew I recognised that name."

"The memory returns to me also, General Hammond. He was the man that came..."

"To take Hermione when she was in Charlie. Oh god, how stupid are we?"

"RIGHT! THAT IS ENOUGH!"

Totally startled, everyone turned to Jack.

"Right now, Daniel needs US and not some self-pitying loonies who are determined to put themselves through a guilt-trip. That won't solve anything!"

Everyone nodded slowly and Jack sighed, his point made. Suddenly Sam looked up and began looking around the room.

"Where's Charlie?"

"That is my other piece of information. As you can see, Graham wishes her to take Daniel Jackson's place. When I attempted to tell her it was unnecessary, she went into a catatonic state. At this point, I thought it was wise to take her to Janet."

"Good call, Teal'c. Dismissed, General?"

"Dismissed. We have a meeting in half an hour with SG2, to form an attack plan."

They all nodded before disappearing to the infirmary.

It was truly amazing, Janet thought, of how you can always gauge someone's popularity when they're injured. And Charlie was definitely popular. Flowers had already appeared and Janet had had to hide the chocolates from her nurses, and from Jack.

Janet had just got the tests back from the lab and they weren't good. She moved towards to Charlie's bed, not surprised by the small huddle of people surrounding her. She was still muttering and the words were getting clearer by the minute.

"Dakatte is coming, he's coming..."

"No, he's not Charlie. Snap out of it!"

"That won't help, Colonel. I've found the cause of the problem."

All faces were now fixed on her. Ah, power!

"Remember out dear friend Seth? Well, it seems Charlie's been drugged. With..."

"The Blood of Sokar!"

Three voices chorused the response and Janet smiled. They were quick. Her smile faded as she reminded herself that Daniel would have interrupted her as she said 'Seth'. She blinked very quickly, telling herself hay-fever had come early that year.

"So what do we do?"

"Firstly, we have to find out how she was getting her doses. She's only been on the base a few days, so she could still be affected from a dose she took a week or two ago. I've called Martouf and he's going to check among the Tok'ra."

Janet saw Sam visibly shiver and figured that he really didn't want to know how that was going to happen.

"The only way we can break it is to use the method we've always used: Zat her."

"You're kidding, right?"

"I'm afraid not, Colonel. Unless Sam feels like making one of her little buzzers..."

"No, I think those are even worse. No offence, Sam."

Sam shook her head slowly and Jack shrugged. Teal'c picked up a Zat he justhappenedto be carrying. Jack eyed him suspiciously.

"I too know this is the only way. I drew my own conclusions before Janet even spoke. I have seen this used few times but it was enough."

Jack shrugged again and Teal'c activated the Zat. He shot Charlie once and she convulsed. Jack pinned her and her eyes flew open.

"Ow..."

Jack smiled and released her. She sat up and looked around.

"Well, that was...interesting. Have they gone yet?"

"You really think we would have let them?"

Charlie smiled and started to get up.

"Oh no you don't. You're staying here for at least a fortnight. Martouf says..."

"No!"

"No?"

"No. I am not leaving my Dad to die. You might think the Tok'sokar are cruel but I know them to be evil, corrupt and deadly. And begging the doctor's pardon, I happen to be the resident expect on Dakatte and all the other Tok'sokar. I'm going, whether you like it or not."

Daniel woke up to a splitting headache. Okay, this was new: he had never been tied to a rock before. Jack would call this poetic justice. The hard, unyielding stone dug into his spine and he found that rope was wound around him from head to toe: he was completely immobilised. Graham was sitting a few feet away, drawing pictures in the sand. Daniel squinted at them and his eyes widened. They were hieroglyphs! He was just about to call to Graham when his memory came flooding back. Daniel decided it was best to play dead, or at least unconscious, until help arrived.

They were all ready to go. Charlie had a massive headache and was positive that the floor was slanting to the left. She shook her head wildly and stumbled as the intensity increased.

"Charlie, you should sta..."

"No! I am going to rescue Dad, Jack. You can't stop me!"

Charlie marched over to Ferretti, leaving Jack to worry.

"SG1 and 2, you have a go!"

Jack marched ahead with Sam and Teal'c. Charlie moved in beside Ferretti, and he smiled at her. For some reason, Charlie blushed. He looked quite startled. They stepped through together.

Charlie and Lou stepped through the Gate and reeled in horror. Sam, Jack and Teal'c were sprawled on the ground, obviously Zatted. The rest of SG2 followed, similarly frozen in shock. Charlie walked towards Jack. She screamed and fell to the ground.

"No!"

Ferretti ran forward and was downed as well. The remaining members of SG2 noted Daniel tied to the pillar, dehydrated and sunburnt, before they were shot too. Graham stepped out from behind a stone, cackling. He dragged them away.

A benefactor watched from the trees, silently biding his time. The moment would come; but he must wait. The capture was planned, calculated; and he would make sure nothing went wrong.

TO BE CONTINUED...

And so ends number six! You'll have to wait for number seven: Death's Bride!!!!

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Demon Faith