Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Charlie 9: So, This is Marriage?

by Demon Faith
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Charlie#9: So, this is marriage?

Charlie#9: So, this is marriage?

by Demon Faith

TITLE: Charlie#9: So, this is marriage?
AUTHOR: Demon Faith
EMAIL: rosabeth@hotmail.com
CATEGORY: Romance, Series, Angst, Drama.
SPOILERS: You will not understand the majority of this story if you haven't read the rest of the Charlie Series. Minor references to: Shades of Grey, Singularity, Family, FIAD, The Gamekeeper, Hathor, Past and Present, Fair Game, Tok'ra, Need, In the Line of Duty, Torment of Tantalus, COTG, Broca Divide, The Devil You Know, The Fifth Race, The Movie and Cold Lazarus.
SEASON / SEQUEL: Directly after Charlie#8, which follows all the other Charlies. The series is set just after Season 3.
RATING: PG-13
CONTENT WARNINGS: Blood, violence, implications and language.
SUMMARY: Charlie's wedding is put on hold, as Goa'uld invade the SGC......
STATUS: Complete
ARCHIVE: Heliopolis, Charlie's Stargate, Stargate Novels and Novellas. Any other, please ask.
DISCLAIMER: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. We have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the authors. Not to be archived without permission of the authors.
AUTHOR'S NOTES: Number 9! We are doing well! Feedback welcomed and appreciated. Charlie now has a homepage: www.charlies-stargate.s5.com. Check it out! Okay, I know I promised a list of all the stuff I made up but it is really too long to go here. Instead, it will be on Charlie's Stargate, the Charlie homepage.

Stargate Command. The first line of defence for Earth, though very few people were aware of it. And SG1 was the best in the SGC. Quite surprising really, considering SG1 wasn't exactly your regular USAF team. Sure, it had your typical Colonel in command and his 2IC was an Airforce Major. But the other two members were...slightly unusual. Dr Daniel Jackson, their rather accident-prone archaeologist/anthropologist/linguist, who Jack thought was more trouble then he was worth, and Teal'c, an alien to Earth with an even stranger alien housed in his stomach, which just happened to be Earth's deadliest enemy. Not your run-of-the-mill team but the best, none the less. The very best.

Last time on Stargate SG1...

Danielle is revealed as a Harseisus and is growing at an abnormally fast rate. After Charlie is rescued from Harry Maybourne, who wanted to study Danielle at Area 51, the team heads to the Land of the Light. Drey'ac commits suicide, and Janet and Teal'c 'adopt' Ry'ac. A spell in the snow brings thing to a head and Charlie and Jack decide to get married. But, Maybourne bursts in to ruin the show...

And now the conclusion...

"Your DAUGHTER? What kind of bloody father are you?"

Charlie was practically simmering with rage, as Maybourne swaggered down the isle.

"The legal kind, girl. And you need my permission for this marriage."

Charlie couldn't retort to that. She knew he was right, she did need his permission to get married. Jack touched her arm lightly, stopping her dead. But Daniel wasn't going to stand by.

"Actually, she doesn't. The General canorderyou to let her marry."

General Hammond quirked an eyebrow.The boy's learning, he thought, admiringly.

"You're just a civvie, Jackson. The General can't control my daughter anymore than I can shoot you."

"Was that a threat, Maybourne?"

Jack stepped forward, putting his full height to advantage. Harry cowered slightly but held his ground. But Charlie had other ideas.

"How...dare you? You bloody bastard!"

Charlie charged the man, knocking him clean off his feet. She stood over him and pulled agunfrom her wedding dress. She aimed it carefully at him, as the whole room was held silent.

"Apologise," she said, menacingly.

"O...kay, I'm s...sorry."

Charlie nodded and replaced the gun within the folds of her dress. She grabbed his wrist and hauled him to his feet.

"Now, get the hell out."

Maybourne looked just about ready to comply, when he started to cough. Charlie soon followed, sinking to her knees. Greenish smoke swirled through the vents, as Jack ran over to Charlie.

"What's wrong, Chaz?"

She looked up at him, and her eyes flashed once.

#Knock-out gas#

Her eyes drifted shut as Jack started to cough with the rest of the room. Somewhere, someone screamed. As darkness took him, Jack could've sworn he saw a Zat fire into the crowd.

~

Jack woke up with a splitting headache. He sat up slowly, clutching his head and surveying his surroundings. He was in a roughly square cell, with about four square metres of floor space, almost all of which was occupied. Jack did a quick head count.Okay; Danny, Teal'c, Janet, Cassie...Charlie!

Jack stood up immediately, looking around the small space with wild determination.

"Where's Chaz?"

"She has not been imprisoned with us, O'Neill. Neither has Major...Jackson."

Jack glanced over at Teal'c, who hauled himself to his feet. Then, Daniel moaned softly, forcing his eyes open.

"Where are we?"

Jack shrugged, and helped the younger man to his feet. Teal'c shook Janet's shoulder gently, and she lifted her head.

"Cassie?"

Teal'c motioned to the small bundle of blue silk in the corner. Janet got up and ran over to her, gently coaxing her awake.

"Cassie? Wake up, darling."

The girl's eyes flew open and she looked around.

"Where are we, Janet?"

"I don't know, love."

Jack looked up towards the source of light; four grills, one on each wall. Jack estimated that the ceiling was about four metres high, and the cell walls looked like solid naquadah.

"Just peachy," muttered Jack.

"What do you think happened to us, Jack?"

Jack turned back to the group, who were all looking at him expectantly.Well, looks like I'm in command.

"Last thing I remember is Charlie telling me the green stuff was knock-out gas and then, then..."

A deep horror set in, as Jack began to realise what had happened.Bloody hell! Her eyes glowed!

"Jack? Are you okay?"

Daniel stood up and looked Jack in the eye. The man had a vaguely preoccupied look about him, as if he was running some harrying scenario through his mind.

"O'Neill, are you unwell?"

"No, Teal'c. I'm just...thinking."

Cassie bit her lip and looked down at her bridesmaid's dress, and sighed. It was covered in dirt and cobwebs, and was now more black than navy. She closed her eyes slowly, and something seemed to happen...

~

Voices. Lots of people talking over her, in a harsh Goa'uld tongue. She was small, insignificant and they passed her by. Her eyes refused to open and she squirmed in her...restraints? Someone shouted and she felt herself slip back...

~

Cassie woke with a scream. Janet took her shoulders, as the girl sat there, frozen in shock.

"Cassie? What's the matter?"

The girl looked at her with wide, scared eyes.

"I saw the future."

~

Many hours had passed since Cassie's 'vision', and the girl had settled into an uneasy sleep. Daniel had slumped against the wall, wondering about his wife, his Sam. Was she all right? Had their captors hurt her? Was she...dead?

Pacing around the cell, Jack O'Neill's thoughts were drifting in the same direction, but towards Charlie, his bride-to-be. He could almost hear her talking to him, stating with a little chuckle: 'Well, it certainly went off with a bang, Jack'. A slow smile played on Jack's lips, as his thoughts were filled with his beloved.

Janet held Cassie in her lap, as the child thrashed in her restless sleep.I saw the future. The words echoed in her mind constantly. Cassie had explained the 'vision', the countless voices and feelings of fear and powerlessness. Was that the future? Or, merely a figment of a frightened kid's imagination?

Teal'c shot inquiring glances at his Ful'ma, wondering about his son. Was Ry'ac lonely? Hurt? Images of death, destruction and torture haunted Teal'c's thoughts, as he attempted to reach Kel'no'reem. So much had happened in the last few days, so many things to occupy his mind. Drey'ac, the mother of his child, had died by her own hand, Ry'ac was living with him and Janet, who was now his Ful'ma, and his to'var had aspired to marry O'Neill, the Tau'ri for whom he held the most respect. And also to know that his wife's child, though not his, was somewhere among the stars. He could now empathise with Daniel, searching for a Harseisus in the cold, dark universe.

But Daniel had found a new life, a new love and Teal'c had done the same. Teal'c opened his eyes again and glanced at the young man, taking in the slight tremble and wet cheeks.

"Major Jackson is not dead, Daniel."

Daniel looked up, realising someone was speaking to him. His glass-less eyes dimly focussed on Teal'c looming form and he smiled.

"Thank you, Teal'c."

Teal'c nodded and went back to his Kel'no'reem. Sometimes Daniel wished he could escape like that, just drift into a dreamless state where there were no shadows, no memories, no death. Daniel had experienced too much of that particular horror in his young life, without the consistent reminder in his sleep. It was those very thoughts that kept him awake now.

First, it was his parents, then Sha're and now, he might've lost Sam as well. He sniffed quietly, brushing at his moist eyes. He brought up a mental picture in his mind but it was immediately replaced by fear. Daniel shut his eyes tight and, instead, tried to picture a photograph, an actual image of Sam.

One instantly sprang to mind; the one he kept in his locker. He didn't bring it out often, only when he felt especially lonely. He had brought it out when Charlie had returned from the Tok'ra, when Sam and him were fighting about their marriage. Sam had walked in on him, not even realising what he held in his hand. He pictured it now: a simple love-heart frame with Sam's picture in the centre. It was taken on their wedding day and Sam was a radiant angel shining from within the silver frame. Just thinking about the image brought tears to his eyes but Daniel forced himself to hold the moment, that beautiful picture, that beautiful woman in his memory forever.

~

Charlie could hear voices all around her. Danielle was pushing her to wake up, urging her to break free of this artificial sleep that she was drowning in. Concentrating her thoughts, Charlie forced her eyes open. They were closed within seconds, as the bright light assaulted her tired, unfocused eyes.Should've brought my glasses, thought Charlie, grumpily. Her neck was aching badly and it was then Charlie realised she was sitting in a reclining chair.Why on earth would I be asleep in one of those? Wait, why am I sleeping? Aren't I supposed to be getting married?Charlie's mind clouded over slightly, until her memories fell into place. Charlie prised her eyes open again and saw a complicated-looking laboratory, which she was sitting in the centre of. There were a few screens dotted around the room, two of which contained people she recognised.Bloody hell!

"You are awake."

Charlie turned quickly, to discover a man studying her carefully. She knew she recognised him from somewhere, but the memories weren't coming.Okay...blocked memories, I have plenty of those...just which one...

The man began to circle her, studying her face for signs of recognition.

Hathor?

He stopped his circling and looked directly into her eyes.

Hermione?

"My name is Dionysus."

Or...Dargol?

"You're Tok'sokar."

The man cocked his head and motioned around the room, letting a tattoo show.A grape vine...I should've known.

"You're very observant. Unlike your dear friends."

Charlie's eyes snapped to one of the monitors, where Jack was pacing around a small cell. Daniel sat on the floor behind him and Teal'c was meditating not far from them. Janet and Cassie were there as well, still in their bridesmaid's dresses. Charlie looked down at her own gown, slightly soiled and bloodied.Blood...

Charlie looked carefully for the source of blood and groaned. The wounds of the Asgard monitors had been re-opened and she wouldn't need three guesses to find out who had opened them.

"Where's my mother?"

Dionysus cocked his head slightly, looking puzzled.

"The Tok'ra? A being so unique was required for study."

His hand indicated a screen and Charlie gasped in horror at what she saw...

~

Sam could hear something, she was sure of it. She tried to get up, but there were thick bonds restraining her.Well, this is a new wedding ritual...

"Hey Sam! Y'alright?"

Sam opened her eyes, to see Daniel beaming down at her.

"Daniel? Can you get me out of here?"

"Shan't."

Daniel pouted brattishly and sat in a nearby chair.

"Why not?"

Sam was getting more than a little frustrated. What the heck was wrong with her husband?

"You didn't say please."

Now, Sam was worried. She watched Daniel's movements carefully, all too aware of the nervous twitches and over-confident demeanour.

"Daniel...have you been...near a...sarcophagus recently?"

Daniel turned to her, eyes overly bright with laughter.

"Now, why would I do a stupid thing like that? Huh? Huh?"

Daniel's unstable mood quickly turned ugly and he began to rant, flinging his arms around dramatically.

"Why would I do that? I mean, I'm not stupid! Do you think I'm stupid? Is that your game, huh? Trying to deceive the UNSTABLE LUNATIC!"

Daniel's voice reached crescendo and he grabbed Sam's chin firmly, forcing her to look into his mad, staring eyes. Sam met his gaze bravely but the truth shocked her to the core.Daniel's addicted again? It can't be...Sam searched those wild blue eyes, sparking with the unleashed electricity of rage and uncontrolled energy.

"Okay, Daniel. I wasn't trying to..."

"Now, you're lying. It's not nice to lie, Sam. You've been a very bad girl. Haven't you? HAVEN'T YOU?"

Daniel squeezed her chin tighter before letting go in disgust. He picked up a long curved blade, testing it against his thumb.

"I think you need punishing."

~

"Stop it, you bastard!"

Charlie leapt to her feet, completely forgetting herself. In her mind, she was a dangerous Indian rebel, able to do anything that needed doing. Completely lost in her rage, she started to babble on in Hindi. Dionysus was very confused and soothed her like a demented child.

"Okay, woman. Calm down now."

The smooth English words crashed her back to Earth, and her eyes cleared. She remembered the growing child squirming in her womb but that didn't mean she couldn't hold her own. She was infamous in the Indian Subcontinent; she still had Generals cursing in her name. Charlie shuddered at that particular thought. She wasn't particularly proud of her past and the years when quiet Sinaya had turned terrorist and murderer were best left alone. At least, she was free of it all. She had Daniel to thank for that.The remarkable Daniel Jackson,Charlie smiled to herself. Then, the sting of her present situation, the thought that her dear father, mother and lover could be in trouble, not to mention the rest of the universe, hardened her resolve.

"You don't what you're dealing with. Back off while you have the chance."

Her words were calm and steady, masking the fear that she couldn't pull off this bluff for long. But Dionysus looked truly rattled, and his placating grin quickly vanished.

"And, what would you know, little girl? We only chose you for interrogation because of the Harseisus in your womb, and the faint protein marker in your blood. You have millennia of knowledge in that pretty little head of yours, and we have no idea how. And, if you don't tell us...your closest friends will die."

~

Would it be at all pessimistic to try and kill myself?

Yes, I suppose it would.

Oh well.

Daniel sighed to himself, his mind absently searching for a dangerous weapon in the room. Suddenly, his eyes fixed on a barely discernible knife hanging on the wall behind him. Daniel did a quick sweep of the room and nodded in satisfaction. Teal'c was still meditating, Janet had fallen asleep over Cassie, who was also sleeping. Jack looked as if he was in a world of his own, and Daniel knew if he were to do it, it would be now.

"See you in heaven, Sam," he whispered.

Daniel raised the knife, closed his eyes and let his hand go limp.

"What the hell are you doing?"

Daniel felt a strong hand grab his wrist, as the knife point grazed his throat. Daniel opened his eyes, to meet Jack's unwavering stare. The older man prised Daniel's fingers open and the knife clattered to the floor. Teal'c opened his eyes then, and Janet began to stir. Jack dropped Daniel's wrist then, and the archaeologist clapped his hand to his throat, feeling sticky warm liquid flowing over his neck. Daniel backed off from Jack, finding himself against the wall.

"Daniel! What have you done?"

Janet ran over, waking Cassie as she got up.

"Uncle Daniel!"

She started for the man, but Teal'c stopped her, scooping her into his arms.

"Not now, Cassandra. Your mother is busy."

Daniel slid down the wall, letting his eyes close. Janet knelt beside him, slapping his face gently.

"Daniel! DANIEL! Wake up this instant. Sam will never forgive me if you die here. Do you hear me? DANIEL JACKSON; YOUR WIFE NEEDS YOU. You are not bloody well gonna die!"

"I know, Janet."

Daniel forced his eyes open, letting the tears roll freely. Salt water mixed with blood, forming a red river around Daniel. Jack was still standing off to one side, face still expressionless. Janet ripped part of her underskirt, pressing the cloth to the knife slash. Daniel replaced her fingers, pointing in the general direction of Cassie.

"I think she needs you more."

Janet nodded, tears springing to her own eyes. She got up and moved out of the virtual blood bath. Daniel bowed his head, unable to face anything.Anything? Or just Jack?

"You mind telling me what's going on."

Daniel looked up then, his blurry vision picking up details that he already knew belonged to his best friend.And son-in-law-to-be. Daniel choked on his own thought. They didn't even know if Sam and Charlie were alive or...dead.

"It seemed the only...way."

Jack slid an arm around his friend's shoulders, knowing how hard this was for him.Been there, done that...shame about the T-shirt; that cliché was almost complete...

"For a bright guy, you sure can be stupid."

Daniel smiled at that, rubbing the tears out of his eyes. He heard the scrape of metal on stone and knew what Jack now held in his hand.

"And, where'd you get this thing? Archaeologists aren't the types for carrying dangerous weapons."

Except for Charlie, but we'll talk about that later...Jack was still shocked about that. He didn't know too many brides who wore pistols in their wedding dresses. Then again, he didn't know many brides who had hosted Goa'uld twice and were now pregnant with a super-kid.Looks like Charlie truly is unique.

"I found it hanging on the wall."

"You really expect me to the believe that?"

"It's the truth, Jack. I swear."

And Jack believed him. Daniel Jackson never lied, not unless it was absolutely necessary. And this didn't look like one of those occasions.

"Okay, I believe ya."

Jack put the knife back on the floor, and concentrated on Daniel.

"Now, all we need is a 'why'."

Daniel hung his head again; truly ashamed of what he had tried to do.

"Sam's dead, isn't she?"

Ah, a big 'why'.

"No, you can't think that, Daniel. Sam and Charlie are fighters, and whether we like it or not, they are also the most interesting of our little group. After having snakes in both their heads and Charlie's got that Harse-whatsit brewing in her stomach, they're ladies-in-demand. Wish they weren't, but that's the sad truth."

"So, you think they're alright?"

"Never doubted it, Daniel."

And now Charlie's doing that neat glowey-eye thing, they should have no trouble.Jack was still puzzled by that. Sam had never been able to make her eyes glow, but there had been a definite light in Charlie's eyes.Maybe it's the kid; all that Gourld knowledge must make it do...something.

"And the words 'clutching at straws' are not cliché?" Jack mumbled to himself.

"What was that, Jack?"

"Oh, nothing. Now, how are you feeling?"

"Tired."

"Well, blood loss will do that to you."

Daniel looked at the neat tuxedo, now splattered with blood.

"Fine wedding photo we make."

Jack smiled and patted the young man's shoulder.

"And we'll get it taken real soon."

Daniel looked up, tears pricking his eyes.

"You really believe that?"

"Sure do. Now, go and comfort Cassie. She thought you were a goner."

Daniel smiled, and got slowly to his feet.

"So did I," he mumbled.

~

"I don't believe that."

Dionysus was nearing the end of his patience. The humans appeared to be very resilient. Especially this one.

"I will leave you to think. Come, Jaffa."

With a sweep of his cloak, Dionysus left, followed by the guards. Charlie raised an eyebrow. They were stupid enough to leave her alone? Then, she realised she didn't look very threatening, which, she decided, was a good thing. She jumped out of the chair, wincing slightly.Stupid child. Charlie made for the door, figuring pretty quickly that they weren't in the SGC. She found a computer console, one that looked distantly familiar.Andreos.Yes, that made sense. Using her knowledge from there, Charlie quickly got through the security passwords.You would've thought they'd have changed the passwords. Oh, they don't know I have them...Charlie briefly wondered what they wanted with her. She was quickly answered.

"Quite a find," she whispered.

The page outlined their entire plans for the SGC. Charlie despaired at their arrogance. It would be their downfall. She quickly found the objective line, and gave a low whistle.

"So, they lost their System Lord, did they? That was clever."

Charlie was tired and the sarcasm came naturally to her brain. She scrolled through and found another interesting paragraph. She gave a small cheer and moved to find another room.

"So, this is all a virtual reality. Now, to get the others out of it. And myself as well, I suppose. First stop: Mum."

~

"You alright, Uncle Daniel?"

"Fine Cassie. It's just a scratch."

Janet shot him a glance but he simply shrugged. Cassie cuddled up to him, and he stroked her long hair, tied neatly back in a plait. Jack leaned against the wall, watching them all. Teal'c stood in the background, a hand on Janet's shoulder.

"Are you alright, Ful'ma?"

"Fine, Teal'c. Really."

Janet smiled tiredly, running a million possible medical simulations in her head. What if, what if, what...a maze of questions and no solutions. And no escape.

Daniel felt a sinking feeling in his heart. The shock, the almost-death and the whole emotion of the last few minutes had hit him, drained him and left him in a depressed, lack-lustre state. He wanted to curl up in a ball and sleep forever.Or, at least, until we find Sam. And we WILL find her. Daniel repeated the mantra over and over in his head, allowing a faint glow of hope to warm his frozen heart. It was then that he remembered the poem that Jack and Charlie had found so interesting; Jack now had a copy on his office wall. Daniel let the beautiful words flood his mind, forgetting himself in their splendour.

Sunsets and moonshine,
Shadows and light;
My fairest and dearest,
Queen of the night...

~

Charlie padded towards a large room in this 'complex'. She hoped she was on the right track by walking through this place. The database had spoken of a 'link', the way to drift between the simulations. Technically, you were already connected but the 'physical' resemblance triggered the change. Charlie wasn't all too sure of the explanation, but accepted that she needed to use it.

She found a room pretty soon and read the script over the door.

"Oh, how subtle," she murmured, "'The Link'"

Charlie pushed the door open and surveyed the scene before her. There was a long row of machines, each one entrapping a person in its claws.Dad, Jack, Janet, Cassie, Teal'c and Mum. Just peachy.

Charlie strode towards the 'link' containing Sam, grimacing at her contorted features. She wished for a simple 'off button' but knew there was no such thing. The brain had to realise the virtual reality was fake; otherwise the stress of a 'crossover' would be too much for it. Which meant the 'inmates' needed convincing...

Charlie stepped over to the free 'link', and programmed it to put her in her mother's simulation, with a few added extras. Then, she put her back to the machine, and relaxed backwards. She fell into the black mass of plastic, and the tendrils moulded to her figure. She saw the metal hoop descend over her eyes and prepared herself for a fight...

~

Sam could take no more. Electricity, knifes and fear of death hounded the fibre of her existence. Her mind was crumbling away, and tears poured down her face. Daniel was relentless, a cruel joke to his sane self.This is my husband, she thought, bitterly.

When Sam was on the verge of collapse, a shrill cry pierced her mind. She raised her head, to see Charlie slam Daniel's head into the wall. He swore before diving for her. But Charlie was already ahead, and pounded him back into the wall. Sam wondered how she was coping with her bump, when she noticed its absence.What the hell...?

However, that wasn't the greatest shock. That came when Charlie slammed Daniel against the floor...and he flickered out. Charlie stood up, looking down at her flat stomach and smiling. She ran over to Sam, unstrapping her and easing her gently off the table.

"Are you okay, Mum?"

"W...what happened?"

Charlie looked her mum right in the eye.

"You have to trust me. We're in a virtual reality. None of this is real. That wasn't Dad. He's in another reality right now. It's all a trick by the Tok'sokar. But you have to believe me."

The words all came in a rush, but they were the happiest of Sam's day.Daniel's safe.

"So, how do we get out?"

Charlie looked very seriously at Sam.

"You trust me?"

"Of course."

"Then, take my hand."

Sam complied, leaning heavily on Charlie for support. Charlie closed her eyes and whispered the words to take them out.

~

Sam and Charlie shot forward and out of the machines. Sam stumbled unsteadily to her feet, looking down carefully at her uninjured form.

"There's...nothing. I'm alright."

Sam looked up at Charlie, who was back with her obvious bump. She was leaning heavily on one of the consoles, her hand gently smoothing over where Sam presumed Danielle to be.

"You okay?"

Charlie frowned, and closed her eyes for a second.

"She wasn't all that keen on the link thing. It disorientated her."

Sam wasn't even going to ask how a child in the womb could be disorientated.

"Are the others here?"

Charlie slowly shook her head.

"No, they're in another reality. But, right now, I need to get you somewhere safe. I think I can put you in a safe reality until I can get you all out. You can't go with the others; it'll be too obvious."

As Charlie spoke, her fingers drummed steadily on the alien console. Sam watched in fascination, marvelling at how Charlie was successfully thinking in several languages at once. Charlie triumphantly stabbed the keyboard, turning back to Sam.

"Relax and fall backwards into your link. You'll find yourself in our house. Do whatever you like there, but I wouldn't advise leaving it. I don't think I programmed it too well."

Sam smiled at her daughter's own self-depreciation, knowing that the bright young woman had probably typed in several fail-safes to make sure Sam didn't do just that. Trusting Charlie completely, Sam fell back into the pod.

When she was sure Sam was safe, Charlie headed back to her own pod. The displays were all in neutral but Charlie quickly activated the 'cell simulation', watching everyone carefully. Because there were so many of them, they'd take a lot of convincing. Even Cassie had to completely understand the unrealistic edge to everything. Charlie took a deep breath and lowered herself into the pod.

~

General Hammond was not best pleased. He had been stuck in the Store Room for absolute ages now, trapped in his own separate cage. He couldn't quite work out what was going on. One minute, there was a wedding, and the next brought Jaffa guards parading around in Serpent heads. What's more, his premier team had disappeared off the face of the Earth, apparently dragging Charlie, Janet and Cassie with them.Heck, I hope that's not literal!

George smiled when he thought of them all; it was getting hard to distinguish them as single people. Three family units, carefully intertwined by their souls, hearts and minds. And, soon, law.

Which brought to mind a certain NID colonel...George wanted to wring his neck. As soon as the Jaffa appeared, the Colonel had begged to be released. He had promised information, cooperation and had been instantly dragged off. George was disgusted. He had successfully made contact with the highest-ranking officers in each 'cell', and they were all trying to keep everyone calm. He had found Ry'ac pretty quickly too, and was glad that he was in the same cage as Katherine.

Katherine and Ernest were taking everything in their stride; they had seen worse times in their lives.

"I feel so sorry for Jack and Charlie. They try to get married and all this turns up."

Ernest smiled at his wife and squeezed her hand.

"The course of true love never did run smooth..."

Katherine shook her head at him.

"Don't quote the Bard at me, Ernest. There's enough drama around here already!"

~

The cell had slipped into a kind of monotonous silence. They had discovered the door to the facilities but there was no escape from there either. Food had come through less than half an hour ago and Jack had been thoroughly disgusted.

"I can cook better than this!"

They had all laughed at that, but there was little laughter now. Then, a miracle appeared. Or, something close.

The cell lit up with bright light and Charlie appeared in the middle of the small room. Jack rushed over to her immediately and drew her into a firm hug.

"Missed you too. However, nowreallyisn't the time."

Jack broke away, knowing his fiancée's commanding tone when he heard it. Daniel and Teal'c leapt to their feet, and Cassie just collided straight into Charlie.

"Charlie! How'd you get here? Have you come to save us?"

"In a way, Cass. But you all have to listen..."

"Charlie! Whatever happened to Danielle?"

Charlie looked down at her stomach, still a little disconcerted by what she saw. What made it worse was the fact that Danielle was still firmly in her head.The things I do...Janet quickly probed her flat stomach, and Charlie sighed. She gently pushed the anxious woman away, and began her speech.

"This is my proof of what I'm about to tell you. For us to get out, you have to believe everything I say, however unbelievable. This is a virtual reality. Nothing about this room is real, nothing at all. Your minds are interacting in this reality, but outside, your bodies are in stasis."

"LikeThe Matrix?"

Charlie beamed at Cassie, glad someone understood her. Janet and Daniel were nodding as well; she had gotten through. Teal'c would trust her completely; she already knew that. But Jack...

"So, you're saying that we're not really here? This place is all in our minds?"

Charlie smiled, loving Jack more and more with every passing second.

"My dear Jack, you remember the Gamekeeper?"

Jack nodded; he had told her that story himself.

"You didn't realise it was virtual until something was obviously wrong, did you? Well, look at me closely. The bump is gone, the laser scars have disappeared and one more thing..."

Charlie pulled up her long sleeve, to reveal an ugly black tattoo. Jack laughed out loud when he saw it and squeezed her shoulder. 'This isn't real'...well, she didn't get that done by chance!

"Okay, I'm ready to get out of here..."

Suddenly, Charlie gasped and her image flickered out.

"They're trying to pull me out! Okay, you need the passkey to get out. All hold hands and just say..."

She stumbled forward slowly and Jack clutched at her, hands sliding right through her. She flickered out of sight, replaced be empty space.

~

Charlie was shot out of the pod, straight into a waiting Jaffa's grip. Slightly overbalanced by the sudden weight change, Charlie stumbled to the floor. Someone hauled her back to her feet, where Dionysus was waiting.

"Foolish, foolish child. You would kill your friends in your desperation. You can not retrieve them; they must be specially prepared."

Charlie quickly realised that they hadn't discovered her 'hacking' and was thankful. That probably meant that they only knew that she had been exploring and they knew nothing else.

"You are lucky that we pulled you out. I don't think you had much fun staring into darkness."

Charlie almost sighed with belief. She had rigged the computer to make it look as if she had just been placed in a blank reality.Arrogant bastard probably hasn't even checked the logs.

"We shall take you back to recover. Come."

Charlie followed obediently, knowing that her family's lives depended on her actions now.

~

Sam was a nervous wreck. She had been reading a book called 'Archaeological Wonders', obviously the only book Charlie could remember. Sam smiled when she came to lines written as 'it was a huge cavern, and I mean HUGE!' and 'filled with wondrous treasures, such as goblets, jewellery, gold...you get the idea'. Somehow, she didn't think the original carried the same...meaning.

She had snacked on countless packages from the fridge, munched her way through twelve packets of chocolate-walnut cookies and drunk at least twenty cups of coffee. She had Daniel's picture in her hand, gently fingering the delicate frame. He smiled out of the frame at her, and how she wished she could touch him, feel him, surrender to his kiss...

Sam was snapped out of her reverie by a sudden headache. The pain was intense, sending powerful shivers down her spine. She quickly recovered, wondering what on earth was going on.

~

"You lowered the Tok'ra's pain sensor. We were forced to up it while she was still in the program, causing extreme discomfort. Are you happy now, Slave? Now that you've caused so much pain?"

Charlie knew she had to buy some time and hopefully get Dionysus to trust her. She needed to give him some information.

Sighing deeply, as if in resignation, she looked at him with her sincerest smile.

"What do you want to know?"

Dionysus could feel victory throbbing through his veins. He had conquered this feeble woman; soon, Dionysus could claim her for his own.

"We know you have knowledge. Lots of knowledge. Yet, your mind refuses to yield it. We know the SGC likes to scavenge information; we wish to know where out lord, Apophis, is."

Charlie started slightly.How much do they know about me? Can't be a lot, can it?She quickly formed an answer, one she hoped would work.

"The last we heard was of an....Andreos, quite near to Chu'lak. I think it was his home world."

Dionysus nodded slowly, before grabbing her chin firmly.

"You think I am an idiot? Andreos was destroyed by a naquadah bomb over two months ago. Where is Apophis now?"

Charlie cursed silently. This was going to take some doing.

"I am unsure. Is there not something else?"

Dionysus was pleased with the fear he saw in Charlie's eyes, the panic he had inspired in her youthful face. She would make a good conquest.

"Tell me of your Tok'sokar knowledge. We are missing a member. Do you know of...Dakatte?"

Oh yes, Mr Dionysus. He's gone to the Tok'ra; you want the address?This conversation was not going as planned. Jack had told her about Dakatte's conversion while they were in the Land of the Light. They had had plenty of time!

"Well, I know that he was looking for...a bride for Apophis. I think he found her too..."

Dionysus' face lit up. Charlie was pushing all the right buttons; now she just had to be careful she didn't reveal herself....

"Yes, Apophis' bride is greatly sought after. It is rumoured that Apophis took her to his bed, while she was heavily drugged. Dakatte uses a similar drug it is called the 'Blood of Sokar'"

Charlie just stopped herself cringing. She had had way too much experience with that particular drug; Goa'uld just loved to play with it. It was not pleasant.At least I now know why my memory's a little fuzzy. No wonder I was having eccentric dreams...

"Yes, I have heard that. I also heard it was greatly planned."

Charlie was playing her advantage; she needed information, and hopefully she could bluff her way into getting it. Dionysus was too arrogant to notice.

"Ah yes. Hermione, one of Apophis' many queens, gathered extensive information from Apophis' bride's mind. Not all of it was relayed directly to us, so most of it was lost with the Andreos computers. All the pictures and life histories of your people were lost; we only know of their names."

Charlie's heart sang with joy. She was learning more and more, and giving very little.

"That is unfortunate. I may be able to get some records for you..."

Charlie let the suggestion hang in the air but she knew she couldn't get away with it.

"No, it is too dangerous. We will access Hermione's memories later. She tapped into the technician's mind, as Dakatte tapped into the archaeologist's."

Okay, so that explains some things. I'm so going to have to erase these databases...Charlie waited patiently for him to continue, knowing there was nothing she could say.

Dionysus was studying the girl carefully, wondering whether she was lying. Suddenly, several connections fell into place and he stared at her swollen belly.The Harseisus...

"You whore! Which System Lord do you worship? Who's child do you carry?"..

Well, that's blown it.Charlie knew he wasn't sure of anything but in her delicate situation it would be better to be honest.

Dionysus was obviously not thinking too carefully. He was going through a list of possible System Lord's in his mind, never considering his own...

"Um...the Harseisus? Well...actually...that would be...Apophis'..."

Dionysus gasped. He prayed to Apophis for forgiveness, hoping that the almighty lord wouldn't punish him. Charlie could see the emotions racing across his face and was appalled.How deluded is he? He thinks Apophis is actually a god?

"Blasphemous lies!"

Charlie knew it was time to play her ace; she just hoped it would be enough. Summoning all her strength, she prepared for the ultimate bluff...

~

Jack was frantic. What was going on? What was happening to Charlie? Were they torturing her? Who were 'they'?

"Rest, O'Neill. Your pacing will not avail us."

Jack kept running scenario after scenario in his mind, wondering where it all went wrong. What had she done to deserve this? What had he done to deserve this?
After all the trials of the NID scandal, he had just wanted a happy wedding and honeymoon. And, hopefully, a happy marriage.No rest for the wicked, Jack.

They had managed to unearth the NID spy at the SGC on Charlie's information. Airman Philips had slid right past their detection. He had served there from quite near the start of the program, acting as the model Airman. And, as it turned out, he had been behind many mysterious happenings at the SGC all along; the incident with the spiked sugar bowl, all Maybourne's information on Charlie and various other 'coincidences' that had just got swept under the carpet. As far as they could tell, he had worked alone but they had kept a vigilance maintained on all personnel who they suspected. Jack remembered his fury when a lieutenant had dared to suggest Charlie's name. He had almost wrung his neck.

Jack smiled at the memories, not even attempting to wipe away the tears steaming down his cheeks.

~

#You dare challenge ME?#

Dionysus stepped back in fear. All of a sudden, this quiet childlike creature had metamorphosed into a fully-fledged Goddess! All the Jaffa in the room dropped to their knees and Charlie smiled haughtily. It was working...

"I'm sorry, I didn't know..."

#It was none of your concern. You challenge the ruling of Amonette, the most high? You shall be crushed when Apophis returns#

Charlie was desperately trying to control her laughter at the sight of Dionysus and the other Jaffa trembling in their boots. It was a sweet revenge.

"What shall we do for you, Most High Amonette?"

#You have disrupted my mission. I am here to spy among the Tau'ri, and you have almost blown my cover#

Charlie kept her lies as believable as possible, hoping that it would all be enough. She was running arguments through her mind, hoping they wouldn't ask her any questions. Then, the best idea ever came to her. She had seen Dionysus' slight doubt and knew she had to try another bluff.

#You do not believe!#

Charlie pointed incredulously at Dionysus who wavered slightly, then Charlie dropped her arm and smiled.

#You are extremely wise. Fools for accepting a stranger so easily! I could have been an impostor! But, a Queen must always test her subjects. This is all an elaborate charade, a test Apophis has set for you. This is the First Stage; you must pass all the tests to earn your Lord's blessing!#

There was momentary confusion on all their faces and Charlie knew she must've come across as quite muddled. However, their eyes soon cleared and they nodded solemnly at her.

#Tau'ri is all a simulation; you have created an illusion within an illusion! Go back to the...base and await the Second Stage!#

The Tok'sokar all stamped their feet and gave her salute reminiscent of Nazi Germany. They all diverted towards the nearest computer terminals, and Charlie watched Dionysus' carefully. He was obviously pleased with this, and as everyone else disappeared from view, he touched her arm lightly.

"My love, we are re-united again!"

Charlie blanched slightly, realising the set-up pretty quickly. Dionysus had been seeing Amonette behind Apophis' back. This was something Charlie was definitely keeping away from Daniel.
Dionysus leaned her over in his arms, kissing her slowly and passionately. Charlie just resisted retching. He broke away, smiling sickeningly at her and tapped a sequence of numbers into the computer before disappearing as well.

#Good riddance!#

Charlie shook her head, wiping her hand across her mouth.Yuck, yuck and yuck!She moved back to 'The Link', quickly lowering herself in.

~

Jack was beginning to fall into the usual cycle of depression.Despair, hope and give up! Which leads to more despair, more false hope and even more giving up...

"Jack! Wake UP!"

Daniel shook his shoulders while Jack sleepily tried to push him away.

"Daniel! I am trying to sleep!"

"Well, open your eyes!"

Jack prised his eyes open; just to glare a Daniel, then discovered himself floating.

"Bloody hell!"

It was pitch dark all around him, but he could feel Daniel's arm on his.

"Okay, everyone link up!"

Jack felt Teal'c's solid hand grasp his and could hear people bumping around each other nearby. Suddenly, they crashed towards the floor, back in the cell simulation.

"What on earth is going on?"

~

Sam woke up to total darkness, only to have it vanish a few seconds later. She sat up on the couch, mentally calculating what kind of computer fault could cause a break in the simulation. Unfortunately, there were too many; from a simple power cut to an all-out virus. She sighed, and waited for Charlie to appear.

Which she promptly did.

"Sorry about that. When Dionysus left, the whole system crashed! It took me a while to get it back online. You ready?"

Sam smiled at her daughter, who was looking more than a little harried. She grasped her hand, and whispered softly:

"Amonette..."

~

Sam was almost thrown out of her link, and Charlie fell straight onto the floor.

"What happened, Charlie?"

Charlie leaned on the console to get to her feet. Sam was already brushing herself off, and Charlie smiled warmly. Then, her eyes glowed.

#Obviously not quite fixed...#

Sam gasped and stepped back, shaking her head.

"No...not again..."

Charlie groaned, an unusual sound with the added echo. She looked at her mother, pleading with her eyes.

#Okay, call it a...side effect. Come on, Mum; believe me here!#

Sam eyed her daughter carefully. She talked like Charlie, stood in the same impatient style as Charlie and certainly used the same mannerisms as Charlie, as she started walking around waving her hands.

#I used the echo and glow to convince Dionysus that I was Amonette. And now I can't turn it off!#

Sam watched her again, increasingly convinced. Then, she stepped forward, laid her hand on her arm, and closed her eyes.

"No Goa'uld. Just Danielle's usual static."

What Sam referred to as static was in fact the slight presence the Harseisus child gave off. However, Sam was completely satisfied that her daughter wasn't possessed.

#Right, Mum. Just stay here while I get the others#

Sam nodded and smiled, as Charlie fell back into the link. Then, she just sat and waited.

~

They had been back in the cell all of five minutes before Charlie materialised again.

"Hello there, campers. Time to leave!"

Everyone got up and headed over to her, linking hands in a circle.

"Now, do you all believe this isn't real?"

Everyone simply nodded, except for Jack, who couldn't resist a sarcastic barb.

"Remind anyone of initiation?"

There was light laughter, and Charlie smiled. She knew she would have some more convincing to do when they left. She clutched Jack's and Cassie's hands tightly, checking to make sure everyone else was connected up as well. Charlie closed her eyes and whispered:

"Amonette..."

~

They were thrown out of the links, ending up sprawled all over the floor. Charlie skidded straight into the console, momentarily disorientated. Jack was immediately on his feet and beside her, helping her into a sit.

"Chaz? You okay?"

#Just peachy#

Her eyes glowed again, and Jack didn't even flinch.

"I'm sure. Come on."

Jack lifted her to her feet, supporting her with an arm around her waist and his other hand in hers. He guided her to one of the console chairs, before looking around the room.

"I like what they've done with the place. Not sure about the gold look though."

Sam smiled cheerfully, before she was almost knocked over by a wall of Daniel. He threw his arms around her and held her so tightly it hurt. However, she wasn't complaining, as she squeezed him just as hard.

"I missed you so much," she said, her voice thick with tears.

"Me too," said Daniel, equally choked up.

Jack looked on happily, laying his arms on Charlie's shoulders.

"So, how'd you pick up the voice-over?"

Charlie smiled, and leaned into his arms.

#No idea. I played a bluff on the Tok'sokar, and it stuck that way. Can't get rid of it#

Jack shook his head in disbelief and squeezed her shoulders.

"How do we get out of this place then?"

Charlie shrugged him off, and swivelled the chair towards the console.

#That might take some doing#

~

Once Sam and Daniel had finished squashing each other, they sat down on the floor together. Sam leaned heavily on his shoulder, able to get some real sleep at last. Daniel took one last look at his sleeping wife before resting too.
Janet leaned into Teal'c's arms, while Cassie rested between hers. The big Jaffa's grip soothed her tired muscles, while Cassie fell asleep in front of her. Then, Teal'c moved in front of her like a shadow, lifting Cassie onto one of the rough bunks in the next room. Janet followed him in, watching the gentle tenderness with which Teal'c handled her foster child.

"She sleeps soundly, Ful'ma."

"That's good. It gives us a little time."

Teal'c turned to Janet, and she sat next to him on the opposite bed, as they watched Cassie sleep.

"We need to speak."

Janet nodded slowly, laying her hand gently on his leg. He slipped his arm around her waist and they sat there a moment.

"Ful'ma, Teal'c. What does it mean?"

Teal'c looked at her, a warm smile spreading over his lips.

"It means 'love'. You might even say 'fiancée'..."

Janet turned to him suddenly, and knew he was being perfectly serious.

"You mean that?"

"With all my heart and soul. I love you, Janet Frasier. I love you."

Jack slid quietly out of the doorway, to give them some privacy. When he sauntered back to Charlie, she slapped him playfully.

#You just had to peep#

He grinned at her, scrutinising the endless rows of hieroglyphs on the screen.

"So, how do we get out?"

#There are eight fail-safes; this is the first. It will take about an hour to get through them. Then, it'll take me a few minutes to unlock the passkey and then we just have to find the right room to get out#

Jack thought that sounded extremely complicated.

"You want any help?"

Charlie smiled lovingly up at him, and he grinned back.

#You could look for the room, if you like. Or, you could get some sleep...#

Jack sighed at her, blatantly disregarding her oh-so-subtle hint.

"I'll look for the room"

Charlie shook her head and smiled. She looked back at the screen. She wasn't getting anywhere with this and knew the best person to ask was currently fast asleep.Oh well...

Charlie got up and walked over to the sleeping couple, gently shaking Daniel awake.

"What is it?"

#I need a translation#

"What happened to your voice?"

#Long story. I need your help#

Daniel gently eased Sam onto the floor, and got up. He rubbed his eyes sleepily before concentrating on the screen.

"Oh, this is easy! Basically, it says press the yellow button and turn the red key."

#Be my guest#

Daniel scanned the keyboard and found the right controls. He pressed the yellow button firmly and twisted the red key slowly.

The computer beeped happily, and a notice flashed up onto the screen.

"'First Stage completed of Visitor Exit Protocol'? What on earth does that mean?"

#Usually, there is a DNA ID for every person in the program. Unfortunately, we're classed as visitors and have to pass the tests to make sure we're not prisoners trying to escape#

Daniel chuckled softly, amazed at the sarcasm she managed to convey with the added echo to her voice. Charlie hit what appeared to be the 'enter' key and the next 'stage' flashed up.

"Ship design? That's one for Sam, right?"

Charlie shook her head and glanced at the next room.

#Nope, I'd say that's one for Teal'c#

When Charlie just continued to sit there, Daniel started to protest.

"Oh no, I am NOT going in there!"

Charlie smiled at him and battered her eyelids.

#Please, Daddy#

The persuasive phrase sounded laughable with the Goa'uld undertones and occasional eye-flash. Daniel sighed deeply, and cautiously moved towards the doorway. He turned back to her for a moment and glared daggers at her, to which she just shrugged. He stepped through the door, and cleared his throat loudly. Janet and Teal'c whirled round and Daniel smiled apologetically.

"Um...Charlie needs Teal'c's help with the computer."

Teal'c nodded and kissed Janet lightly, before squeezing out of the door beside Daniel.

"You okay, Janet?"

Janet turned back to Daniel, happy tears shining in her eyes.

"Never felt better."

Daniel smiled and went to follow Teal'c.

~

Jack sauntered round another corner, casually imagining all the possible dangers and the probability of each.

"Number 406: Possible assailant behind the door."

Jack whacked the door open, and held a common military pose.

"So, no 406 either."

He moved into the room, poking various bundles of cloth that lay scattered around the room. He poked one extra large one, and a small metal sphere rolled out of it. Jack was immediately alert but it didn't react in any way. Cautiously, Jack picked it up and pressed the button on the front.

"Bloody hell!"

The top slowly rose up and a small holographic figure began to rotate in the centre.

"Sha're!"

The woman slowly twirled, laughing and smiling at him from the sphere. Jack was torn: should he take it back to Daniel or would that just cause trouble between him and Sam? Jack closed the sphere slowly, and pocketed it for later.

~

"This is a complex puzzle."

"Is it? That's bad, right?"

#Yes, Dad. It's very bad. Can you solve it?#

"I never said I could not solve it. I merely said it was complex."

"I'll leave you to it."

Daniel made a hasty retreat, heading in the general direction of Sam. He sat down beside her and touched her arm gently. She responded to his touch, stirring in her sleep.

"Daniel?"

"The one and only."

Sam's eyes fluttered open and she smiled up at him.

"How long have you been awake?"

"Oh, only a few minutes. I was helping Charlie with the code-cracking."

Sam's eyebrows shot up and she practically raced over to the console where Teal'c was currently working.

"I have it, Charlene. We must move the indicator over the shrine. Allow me."

Teal'c took the simple joystick and manoeuvred the cursor over the shrine room, before pressing enter.

#Second stage complete! So, what's up next?#

A light blue screen appeared, and displayed a face. Charlie groaned loudly.

#Identify System Lords! Oh, this'll be fun!#

Sam grinned and motioned for Teal'c to leave with her.

"I think we should leave her to her Gourld. She seems to know what she's doing."

Teal'c smiled at her and went to find Janet. Sam settled against the wall before Daniel, letting him slip his arm around her back.

Charlie sat at the console, steadily drumming names into the computer.

#Damned Goa'uld! Why'd they have to have such difficult names?#

However, she was soon finished; apparently with her Goa'uld 'senses' active, memory recall was a whole lot easier.

The computer beeped again and a plain black screen appeared. Little red flashing dots appeared all over the screen and a blue triangle appeared at the bottom. Charlie swore and hit what she presumed to be 'pause'

#It's a freakin' computer game! I think we need Cassie#

"Need me for what?"

Rubbing her eyes sleepily, Cassie moved towards the console. Her face instantly lit up at the 'game' and she took the controls eagerly.

#Okay, Cassie. Just move the joystick and press this key to fire#

"What's happened to your voice, Charlie?"

#Let's just say it's stuck. You ready?#

Cassie nodded, and Charlie released the pause. Cassie was soon well into the program, giving delighted yells whenever she shot down one of the enemy fighters. Just then, Jack re-appeared, silently creeping up on an extremely exhausted Charlie. He slipped his arms around her waist and she relaxed against him.

"Y'alright?"

#Tired. A little hungry. Slightly...sticky#

Jack's eyebrows flew up, until he realised there was caked blood on her dress.

"What happened?"

#I think Dionysus thought he would like to look at the Asgard monitors. All the wounds were reopened#

Charlie's eyes drifted shut, as Jack stroked back her hair. He was amazed at her sometimes, how persevering she could be, how resilient. She was like a rock, steady and unwavering. She was like Daniel, always having an unending reserve strength; maybe not the physical kind, more of an emotional strength. And, just like Daniel, life had dealt her all the bad cards but she was playing her hand, playing the game as it was meant to be played. Moral, intelligent and undeniably his, Charlie was now the focus of Jack's life. And he wouldn't want it any other way.

"Finished, Charlie!"

Charlie's eyes flew open and she broke away from Jack, sliding back into the chair.

#Thanks, Cass. Now, what's next? Anatomy? I think that's one for Janet...#

"Ful'ma! To'var requests your assistance!"

Janet moved into the room, where everyone was now packed. She sat down at the console, and pointed at a set of hieroglyphs.

"Could I have a translation on this?"

Teal'c drifted to her side and began to translate. Jack came up behind Charlie again, and rested his hand on her shoulder.

"You should get some sleep."

Charlie looked up at him and nodded. She got up and headed to the next room. She stopped in the doorway, and beckoned to Jack.

#You need to sleep too#

Jack sighed and followed her in. He sat down on the bed, and she sat down beside him.

"Well, this is the funniest impression of sleep I've ever seen."

Charlie grinned and swung herself onto the bed properly, eyes closing almost instantly. She shifted over onto her side and her breathing soon became slow and rhythmic. Jack lay down beside her, arms shifting around her enlarged waist. He pressed her against him, the warmth and proximity sending him straight to sleep.

However, Charlie was soon awake again. She looked down at where Danielle was currently...moving? The closest thing Charlie could think of was spinning extremely low and fast. Whatever it was, it was uncomfortable. She offered placating telepathy, soothing rubbing and waves of love towards her child, but Danielle would not be still. So like her namesake in a way; Daniel was always so active. Charlie placed her hand over where she instinctively knew Danielle to be.Listen to me: if you want to grow properly, you'll let me get some sleep. Otherwise, I'll probably die of exhaustion. Got it?

(((Got it)))

Charlie's eyes flew open. Speech! Direct, fully-formed words! She tried to slip into the rhythm again, and send some more thoughts to Danielle.You really spoke, didn't you? Come on just say something to me...

(((What would you wish me to say?)))

Charlie was delirious with emotion; torn between delight and fear, ending up halfway between both.Okay, now we fully understand each other can I please rest?

(((With pleasure)))

Danielle instantly stopped her squirming and sleep swept over Charlie seconds after her eyes drifted shut.

~

"So, I need to find the Goa'uld heart? Is there such a thing?"

Teal'c smiled. O'Neill's sarcasm was rubbing off on everyone.

"As you speak of it, it is unlikely. However, as of the physical, yes. But I do not know where..."

"Well, I do."

Janet pointed straight to the little black smudge on the scan before her, moving the cursor towards it and pressing 'enter'.

"There! Now, what have we here...Stage Six? Wow! What the hell is this?"

Janet stared blankly at the rows of numbers and symbols before her, unable to make any sense of it. Then she caught the 'equals' sign at the end, and knew exactly who to call.

"Sam! We've got a math problem for ya!"

Sam ran straight over, settling herself at the console.

"Okay, this is definitely going to take a while."

Everyone settled back into their lull of inactivity, boredom seeping into their every thought. Daniel kept a steady watch over Sam, while Janet and Cassie went through a game of 'I-Spy'. Teal'c tried to sink into Kel'no'reem, and everyone envied his relaxed composure.

Charlie and Jack slept for all of two hours before waking up, being their usual, bouncy selves. They instantly started sparring, Charlie surprising everyone by throwing Jack quite early on. She instantly apologised, before helping him back to his feet.

"How did you manage that? I mean...you're a little out of shape."

Charlie's eyes narrowed and she was about to launch into a verbal tirade, before Danielle's 'voice' cut in:

(((Oh, that was great! Can I do that again?)))

Charlie's eyes widened and she stared incredulously at her stomach.I thought that wasn't my doing! You threw my fiancé for a laugh! What kind of baby are you?

(((The Harseisus kind)))

Jack stepped over to Charlie, worried about her total lack of expression.

"Chaz? You okay?"

#Don't worry. Danielle just thinks it's funny to throw you across the room#

Jack was startled then and motioned Janet over.

"Are you telling me that Danielle took control of you to throw me?"

Charlie's face flooded with realisation, and she 'shouted' angrily at Danielle.What are you doing to me? Is it you causing my voice to echo?

(((Indeed it is. Would you like me to turn it off?)))

That would be nice!

(((Okay then)))

Charlie felt something loosen in her mouth and she turned to Jack.

"I can talk normally! Oh, that damned child!"

That brief breach of etiquette earned a solid kick from Danielle.How did you do that? Goa'uld can only control people from their brain.

(((Who told you that?)))

Charlie was prevented from further questioning by Sam's triumphant cheer from the console. They all crowded round as Sam typed the answer straight into the box.

"1? We waited all that time for ONE?"

Jack was incredibly annoyed but Sam felt a whole lot better. Her brain had needed some solid exercise and this had been perfect. Charlie sat down at the console, mentally launching every negative thought she had at the growing child in her womb.

"Okay, Stage Seven. Ooh...what the heck is this?"

Charlie stared at the screen before her, flashing with a very complicated diagram and strange symbols all around it.

"Dad! What does this say?"

Everyone crowded round and stared at the screen. Daniel's eyes widened and he shook his head.

"I don't know. This isn't even close to anything I know."

Jack squinted at the screen for a few seconds, before leaning forward.

"That, my friends, is a diagram of the DHD. This," he pointed to the script, "is the language of the Ancients, of which yours truly is the only expert present."

Charlie looked at her fiancé with ever-increasing awe.

"A man of many talents. Come on then, solve the puzzle."

Charlie eased herself out of the chair and Jack sat down in it.

(((He is an old man. You should marry a Goa'uld prince)))

Charlie's eyebrows unconsciously raised and she moved away from the others, shouting something about trying to find the room. She had to sort her child out.

Jack stared after her for a few seconds, before concentrating on the diagram. It had been a long time since the Ancient's knowledge had invaded his brain and his memory of it was extremely sketchy. However, the Asgard hadn't quite removed all the knowledge and Jack could work his way slowly through the translation. He sat back at last and tapped the screen once. The next page of script came up and he sighed. This was going to be tough.

~

Charlie sauntered through the corridors, trying to find any recollection of Harseisus children's behaviour. But it was impossible.

(((I have taken it for my own. As I have taken the knowledge of my father)))

Now, Charlie was really worried. Her child wasn't even fully grown and it could take knowledge from her brain? Harseisus children were indeed dangerous, especially whilst inside you.

(((No, not all. Only the cross-breeds. Like myself)))

Charlie was getting confused.Cross-breeds? How can you be a cross-breed? Apophis and I were...are...were both Goa'uld hosts. There is no difference!

(((You don't know? Of our heritage? Of our blood? Were you not told?)))

This whole set-up was beginning to scare her. How did the child know so much, she hadn't even been born! Charlie hurried around the rooms, looking for the 'key' to their escape. She refused to even acknowledge Danielle's existence.

(((You can't hide forever. Soon, I shall live among you. Then, what will you do?)))

~

"Got it!"

Jack moved the cursor over the DHD power supply and clicked 'enter'. There was fanfare-like effect, and a notice flashed up. Jack squinted at the screen, telling himself he just had to get some glasses.

"Um... 'You may now proceed. Enter password at terminal and have a safe journey'? Sounds like a freakin' airline!"

There was a brief surge of laughter, as Charlie turned the corner.

"Right, I've found it. Let's go!"

~

They arrived at the small room, and found more of the 'links' they had found earlier.

"This is the 'exit' room. Only visitors use it cos it provides a 'safer' environment for transport. Everyone ready?"

"Not quite, Chaz. Danny, come here."

Daniel walked over to Jack and the colonel pulled him to one side.

"I found something earlier but it'll disappear when we leave. Here," Jack handed him the sphere, "Just press the button."

Daniel did, and the hologram was revealed. Daniel gasped at the smiling figure and a solitary tear rolled down his cheek. Suddenly, he closed it and threw it against the wall. It sparked, then fell to pieces.

"My wife was never free, Jack, I could never give that to her. But it's all in the past and I'm not gonna relive it."

Jack nodded, and Charlie indicated the links, taking on the role of an air stewardess.

"If everyone will just fasten their seatbelts, put their trays in the upright position and prepare for take-off, we'll be leaving. Passengers are reminded that there is no smoking on board and that there are no emergency exits."

There were smiles all round, as they fell back into their seats. Charlie walked up to the console and the password screen flashed. Praying it was the right one, Charlie typed in the password and fell back into her own link. There was a brief flash of light and then...

~

Everyone landed in the Gate Room. The SGC was strangely deserted, eerie silence echoing through the half-lit corridors. Jack, Teal'c and Sam were quickly on their feet, Daniel not far behind. Janet and Cassie stumbled slowly to their feet, while Charlie pushed herself gradually up the wall. When she was finally standing, she made her way over to the others.

"The others are probably being held somewhere in the SGC. I think we should check the original storage room; the Goa'uld wouldn't want the trouble of moving them."

Jack nodded and automatically moved towards the corridor, signalling to the rest of his team. Charlie turned to Janet, who had gathered Cassie up in her arms and was currently looking more than a little lost. Then, Charlie realised the danger.

"Oh hell! Janet, get out of here RIGHT NOW! Get to the infirmary and run an immediate scan on Cassie!"

Janet's mind reached the same conclusion quickly and she ran off at full speed, despite Cassie's protests. Charlie was almost sick with worry now, but she made her way to the Control Room. She knew the Goa'uld would've tried to get into the system and the damage could be extensive. She managed to squeeze herself behind a console and reached out to type her own access code. She was soon into the system and briefly glanced at the clock. She brought up the automatic calendar and stared and stared and stared. Two weeks! Two whole weeks since her wedding had started! No wonder Danielle was feeling so heavy. Charlie quickly analysed the computer logs, hoping to find an indication of where at least twelve days had disappeared to. She couldn't find a thing, except for...yes! The Goa'uld program was still intact!

"Well, let's go exploring..."

~

SG1 collected weaponry en route to the storage room, and being, as always, cautious, they flung the door open. Taking up the defensive, they made their way through the doorway.

"Colonel!"

Once making sure it was safe, Jack rushed over to the cages, motioning for the others to help.

"Sir. Are you alright?"

George nodded, glad to see his 2IC well. Two weeks of stress had taken its toll on George, and he was ready for a long period of rest. However, first he had to see to his staff.

"What's the situation? What's been going on? Where's Maybourne?"

The questions followed in quick succession, and Jack had to hold up his hand.

"Okay sir, slow down! I've got one hell of a headache coming on, so it might take some time. Firstly, I don't know about the situation, but the Tok'sokar are gone. Secondly, we've been stuck in some virtual-reality-thing for...a while, and, thirdly...Maybourne? I haven't seen him, sir. Why do you ask? Isn't he here?"

It took George a few minutes to process Jack's tired babble. He saw he wasn't the only one due for R 'n' R.

"No, he volunteered himself for information. He must've been..."

George was interrupted by Ry'ac's delighted yell, as he crashed straight into Teal'c. The huge Jaffa swung the boy into the air, a huge grin practically splitting his face in too. Jack smiled too, but George was suddenly anxious.

"Where's Charlie? And Janet and Cassie? Weren't they with you?"

"No sir, they were with us. We just came to get you. They'll be somewhere around."

Jack looked vacantly around him and George patted his shoulder sympathetically.

"Why don't you go find her, Jack? It's been a long fortnight."

Those words barely registered with Jack, before he nodded and sauntered off through the door. He walked into the corridor, and automatically headed for the control room. He had the beginnings of a thundering headache, and from the rest of SG1's looks, realised they weren't feeling much better. Teal'c was by his side, with Ry'ac, obviously on the hunt for Janet and Cassie as well.

Suddenly, Charlie came thundering down the corridor, looking completely exhausted.

"Jack, we've been in that program close to a week! They spent a week setting up, explaining why the power drain only started about seven days ago. Then, our minds processed the information at such a slow rate, that two days evolved into seven..."

Jack placed a finger to her lips, wincing slightly at his headache.

"Okay, I'm sure this is very fascinating, but can we go to the infirmary now. And where's Janet and Cassie?"

Charlie continued on her hyperactive high, making Jack feel dizzy.

"Oh, they're there already. We figured Cassie could explode, so Janet rushed off. Oh my, I have to go!"

Charlie bounced all the way to the infirmary, with the others in tow. Janet was frantically running scans and sighed just as they walked in. She looked up and smiled tiredly.

"It almost formed properly, but it's currently being reabsorbed. She should be fine."

At that moment, Charlie came off her high, and sank exhaustedly into a chair, head in hands.

"My head feels like it got deep-fried. You got any painkillers?"

Janet tossed her a couple, as she took some herself. Jack and Teal'c held out their hands, and she doled them out.

"Side-effect, I guess. Have one, Cassie. Where are Sam and Daniel?"

Just then, the shattered pair walked in, looking like they were holding each other up.

"Janet, I need something for my headache. I feel like I've been on a caffeine binge."

"Ditto, Sam. Though coffee would also be good...."

Janet gave them both pills, yawning all the time. Charlie was asleep in her chair, and Jack was snoozing against the wall. Daniel and Sam made it to beds but Janet just sank into a chair. Teal'c and Cassie looked around for a while, before drifting off themselves.

~

And this was the scene that greeted General Hammond a few hours later, when he had organised his base into some semblance of order, and read the brief set of notes Charlie had left about power drains and Goa'uld simulations. From what he could read of the lazy scrawl, she had got them all out by impersonating Amonette. She never ceased to amaze him.

He smiled down on the sleeping friends, with an almost-fatherly air. However, no matter how much sleep they needed, he needed some kind of explanation. Just as he was about to shake the Colonel awake, a tired voice rang across the infirmary.

"Don't wake him, General. What do you need?"

Charlie pushed herself to her feet, her bump appearing quite obvious. The General tried to work out exactly how old the child was but failed. Charlie, noticing where his attention was drifting, smiled.

"She's about 24 weeks now, 12 in actual. She'll be born in roughly two months."

George just stopped himself looking too shocked, yet it wasn't the dates that had caused his surprise. Where Charlie had previously spoke of Danielle with motherly care and affection, now there was pure contempt in her voice. The child's birth was imminently looming, and he suspected this was the cause. However, that wasn't the case at all.

Charlie wasn't the best person to pick up on emotion, but she could tell that he had picked up on the hatred in her voice. But she didn't say anything, just let it drop.

"So, what can I help you with?"

"You left some very sketchy notes, for which I am grateful, but there are some aspects which I don't understand. Could you fill me in?"

Charlie nodded and smiled, and quickly grabbed a piece of paper. Quickly scribbling a note to Jack, she placed it in his pocket and kissed him lightly on the nose. Then, she held out her hands and George led the way to his office.

~

After three hours of intense discussion, Charlie and George were both beginning to feel the week's events dragging them down.

"So, how did you know the password?"

Charlie really didn't want to answer that question but she remembered whom she was talking to. She clutched the cup of coffee she had in her hand, vaguely noting it was getting cold. She took a sip and sat back in her chair, dimly recalled events on Andreos flying around her mind at full pelt, before disappearing to Danielle.

"Um...I used one of the computers on...Andreos. The password was the same here. Um...."

Charlie frowned, then her eyes widened dramatically. Her head was on fire! Floods of information assaulted her brain, some her own memories, some things she had never even heard of. It became too much and she collapsed to the floor.

~

Charlie awoke to Jack's incessant nervous whistling and Daniel's constant shushing.

"Drop it, guys," she said, irritably.

There was instant silence and she felt the presence of people beginning to crowd her. Eyes still shut, she sat up, and felt them back away.

"Thank you. Now, I'm going to open my eyes and get up. That okay with everyone?"

There were a few murmurs and Charlie opened her eyes. There were a few gasps and Charlie knew something was wrong.

"What's up? What's wrong?"

"Your eyes....are blue!"

Charlie sighed deeply.Okay, fix it. I want my normal brown back!

(((What is normal?)))

Charlie gritted her teeth and dug her finger into her stomach. There was a mental scream from Danielle, and there was a sudden pain in her eyes. Charlie closed them and opened them again. She looked around at the mixture of shocked and relieved faces around her and smiled.

"Back to normal?"

Janet nodded to her and then checked her temperature.

"Perfectly normal. Overload again?"

Charlie decided to ignore that question, and turned to Sam, the only person who wouldn't go emotional on her.

"How long have I been out?"

Sam obliged, still not used to open expression of her feelings.

"Two hours. We only woke up a few minutes ago ourselves."

Charlie nodded, swung her legs over the bed and got to her feet.

"Now, how about this wedding?"

~

It took five hours of constant preparation before the wedding clothes, hall and participants were anything like ready for the whole thing to begin again. Janet and Charlie repaired all kinds of tears and rips in the dresses and suits, before washing them thoroughly. All the blood came out quite easily, and all of it suddenly made Charlie think.The Goa'uld must've opened the monitors for real, and not just in the reality. How scary.

So, two weeks after the original was due to start, the second attempt continued. They had just got past the first vows, slightly further than last time, but now Jack had to remember his ring promise. He turned slowly to Teal'c, and the Jaffa smiled, handing Jack the diamond and sapphire encrusted ring. He held it to Charlie, who smiled warmly at him. He slipped it slowly onto her finger and met her sincere gaze with his.

"I give you this ring as a sign of our marriage. With my body I honour you, all that I am I give to you, and all that I have I share with you, within the love of God, Father, Son and Holy Spirit."

Charlie smiled up at him, her eyes shining with moisture. Sam and Janet let their tears fall unhindered down their cheeks and Katherine was constantly holding her handkerchief to her eyes. Charlie looked deeply into Jack's eyes and said her promise.

"I receive this ring as a sign of our marriage. With my body I honour you, all that I am I give to you, and all that I have I share with you, within the love of God, Father, Son and Holy Spirit."

They looked at each other before turning to General Hammond He nodded to both of them before saying the words they had all been waiting for.

"Jonathan and Charlene, I pronounce you man and wife!"

There was a loud cheer and Jack bent down and kissed Charlie passionately, prompting wolf-whistles from the Marines and SG2. They spun around, revelling in this moment of peace, away from Earth's trials and disasters for their special day. They turned to see their smiling friends and family, loopy grins plastered all over their faces. Jack had his arm firmly attached to Charlie's waist and hers was right against his back. They walked down the makeshift isle towards the table with the register. Sam and Daniel followed to sign the register, and the team started to convert the 'Wedding Hall' to a 'Reception Room'. Charlie and Jack just managed to sign their names before getting completely lost in each other.

Suddenly, the music started, the banquet tables were ready and the party was in full swing. Cassie dragged Jack to dance, while Charlie sat down to rest.

"Quite a turnout."

Charlie smiled at her mother, patting her arm gently.

"Mum, this is the best thing that has ever happened to me. I'm just...oh, overjoyed! Anyway, where's Jacob?"

Sam let it drop and pointed to the other side of the room, where Katherine and him were talking.

"Katherine's like Jack's adopted mother in a way. After Abydos, he was depressed again but she kept him steady. So, I think they're assessing the other's 'charges'"

Charlie dissolved into giggles, and Sam smiled. She hadn't seen her daughter this happy for a long time. Daniel quickly pulled his wife away; dancing to a fast-paced song Lou Ferretti was churning out of the speakers. He was DJ for the evening and he waved to Charlie as he changed discs. Charlie smiled and waved back.

Suddenly, the music stopped and Jack took the microphone.

"This is a song for my bride, Chaz. And, if she'll come and dance..."

Charlie smiled, stood up and made her way slowly towards Jack, now glad of the extra few inches Janet had stitched in her dress. As Jack took her in his arms, and they took the floor, Charlie heard the notes of a strangely familiar song ring out of the speakers.

Oh, stop your crying, it'll be alright,
Just take my hand, hold it tight,
I will protect you from all around you,
I will be here, don't you cry.

For one so small, you seem so strong,
My arms will hold you, keep you safe and warm,
This bond between us can't be broken,
I'll be here, don't you cry.

Disney's Tarzan. One of the first English films she had seen. And this beautiful song seemed so appropriate, so poetic. Jack chose well. Charlie blushed at her unintentional compliment unto herself. She glided in his arms, liquid silk for this one movement with the one she loved.

Cos you'll be in my heart,
Yes, you'll be in my heart,
From this day on, now and forever more,
You'll be in my heart,
No matter what they say,
You'll be here in my heart always.

Sam and Daniel loved this song as well. They took the floor, lazily spinning outside Charlie and Jack's little 'zone'. The simple words fitted the mood and atmosphere perfectly, and rang so true.

Why can't they understand the way we feel,
They just don't trust what they can't explain,
I know we're different, but deep inside us,
We're not that different at all.

And you'll be in my heart,
Yes, you'll be in my heart,
From this day on, now and forever more.

Different, yet similar. Jack felt the words ring through his soul. That was the story of their lives. Despite the age gap, culture difference and all the death and destruction fate had thrown in their way, Charlie and Jack were married. Together, if only for this moment; yet, forever in each other's hearts.

Don't listen to them,
For what do they know,
We need each other, to have to hold,
They'll see in time,
I know.

When destiny calls you, you must be strong,
I may not be with you, but you've got to hold on,
They'll see in time, I know,
We'll show them together.

Janet smiled, as Teal'c led her to dance. This was a moment that no outsider could appreciate, the break in their hectic alien-infested lives to create such happiness and joy. SG1 could certainly show everyone what they were made of, and so could their 'appendages'. Charlie was no soft touch, the deadly combination of beauty and brains with that little hint of 'something' that Janet could only term as 'Danielism'. Daniel was the first one to show her that inner strength, an ability to bounce back from any and every hardship and a solid foundation for morality. It was people like them that the world needed more of.

Cos you'll be in my heart,
Believe me, you'll be in my heart,
I'll be there, from this day on, now and forever more,
You'll be in my heart,
No matter what they say,
You'll be here in my heart always.

The song drifted to a close, and Jack and Charlie stopped their dancing. Jack leaned close to Charlie, sending unique shivers down her spine.

"I love you, Charlie O'Neill."

Charlie O'Neill. Two words which held such emotion for both Jack and Charlie. For him, it represented both the loss of the first Charlie in his life and the new Charlie, who was now his wife. For her, the words were foreign yet familiar. Charlie was a name just thrown onto her, with no understanding of who she once was. It was closure; distance from 'Sinaya', innocence destroyed by one fateful day. The girl with a vengeance, a thirst for revenge, had been replaced by this very calm, collected façade of 'Charlie'. And, now to be 'Charlie O'Neill', loved enough to be married. Yet, had she deceived him? He didn't know of her past, her evil. Was she misleading him? Charlie's worry and doubt was instantly replaced with undying love as she stared into Jack's eyes.

"And, I love you, Jack."

They smiled at each other, suddenly aware that every eye was on them. They smiled and moved to the side, just as Sam stood up.

"Well, this is a very special day. And we have some speeches from various people...so, Daniel?"

Daniel beamed and stood up. Jack was immediately struck by the distinct lack of notes in his hand.

"I'm not good at making speeches, which may seem strange as a linguist, but I'm not. However, talking about my daughter isn't a subject I have a problem with.
She is one of the most amazing people I know. Like most people here, she hasn't exactly had an easy ride but she's still going, still shining like the bright star that she is. She deserves the best man in the world.
And, as far as I'm concerned, she's got him. I've known Jack a while now, and as a friend, I could ask for nothing more. He's steady, determined and has a singular wit that crops up pretty often."

There was some scattered laughter, and Jack flushed. Charlie patted his arm, blushing as well at Daniel's compliments.

"Anyway, these two deserve each other. As for love and marriage, I can highly recommend it."

Here, Daniel met Sam's eyes and it was her turn to blush.

"Well, here's to Jack and Charlie. May your love last forever."

There was a general cheer of 'Jack and Charlie', as everyone drank from their glasses of champagne. Charlie sipped her orange, trying to hide her flaming face.
"Jack?"

Sam turned to the couple and Jack scowled at her. He stood up, practically dragging Charlie with him to centre stage.

"Um...okay...speech. As you know, I'm not very good at these....things. And right now, I'm hoping Thor's gonna whisk me away but here we go. First, thanks to Daniel for all those...compliments. If they don't apply to me, they certainly apply to Charlie."

Charlie bowed her head and lightly hit him.

"I couldn't be any luckier. This woman is beautiful, intelligent and spirited. And she's captured my heart."

There were some 'ahh's from around the room and Charlie blushed again, sure she looked like a beetroot.

"Uh...I'd like to thank Sam and Daniel, for being constant friends and letting me marry their daughter. Thank you all for coming today, and a few weeks ago. Sorry about the...interruption. Thank you Teal'c, for being there. I'd have fallen apart without him. And to the lovely bridesmaids and pageboy, who are looking fabulous. So, a toast to the bridesmaids and my best man."

The cheer went up and Jack quickly dived back to his seat, towing Charlie with him. He sat down, breathing quite heavily. Charlie patted his arm gently, wrapping him in a half-hug.

"That was beautiful, Jack. You did great."

He nodded, and they waited for Teal'c to stand.

"I just hope the big guy manages it."

"Oh, he will. Trust me on this one."

The big Jaffa stood and turned to the company.

"I would like to thank O'Neill for his kind compliments to the bridesmaids and I.
I believe Charlie and Jack are incredibly well matched. They are very strong and determined, very caring and considerate. I value them both very highly and hope they think of me with the same regard. I believe Jack is very lucky with his bride, and I wish both of them the best of luck in the future."

There was general applause and Teal'c nodded, then sat down. Charlie turned to Jack and smiled, and he just looked amazed.

"Did you teach him that?"

"Nope, all on his own. I think Dad told him to use our first names though."

Gradually, the crowd faded away, and soon only Jack and Charlie's closest friends were left. Katherine and Ernest congratulated the couple before leaving themselves, then George came up to them and gave them two weeks initial leave, and Charlie at least two months maternity leave.

"That's very kind, sir."

"You deserve it. And the rest of SG1, no missions until Jack can return to active duty."

The smiles on their faces could power the SGC for a year. They all gradually parted, until only Jack and Charlie were left. They walked off towards Jack's car.

"I'll pick up my stuff later. I'm so tired."

"Ditto, Chaz."

They got in the car and drove straight up to Jack's house. Jack helped Charlie out of the car and then up the steps. He opened the door, then swung Charlie up into his arms. She put an arm around his neck, as he stepped over the threshold.

"Welcome to our home, Mrs O'Neill."

THE END

Though, of course, not completely. Though, aren't you glad that the long line of TBCs has ended! The next one is number 10, and to celebrate, it's going to be a songfic! Watch out for 'Where do we go from here?'!

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Demon Faith