Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Charlie 8: Stolen

by Demon Faith
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Charlie#8: Stolen

Charlie#8: Stolen

by Demon Faith

TITLE: Charlie#8: Stolen
AUTHOR: Demon Faith
EMAIL: rosabeth@hotmail.com
CATEGORY: Romance, Drama, Angst, Humour (It's kinda like one of those 'cry one minute, laugh the next' things)
SPOILERS: This is the eighth story in the Charlie series, and won't make a lot of sense if you haven't read the rest. Minor spoilers for: Shades of Grey, Singularity, Fair Game, Forever in a Day, Family, Broca Divide, 100 Days, Hathor, Torment of Tantalus and Tok'ra. There is also an idea from 'Crossroads' but this series is not related to Season 4!
SEASON / SEQUEL: After Season 3, but not in Season 4 (if that makes any sense whatsoever!)
RATING: PG-13
CONTENT WARNINGS: Violence, language, torture, implications and character death (this list just gets worse, doesn't it!)
SUMMARY: Pregnant, dragged from family and friends and trapped in NID; Charlie finds her own way to survive, while protecting Jack from the truth itself.
STATUS: Complete
ARCHIVE: Heliopolis
DISCLAIMER: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. We have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the authors. Not to be archived without permission of the authors.
AUTHOR'S NOTES: : I warn thee now: this story is FIFTY pages long!!! It wasn't supposed to be this long, but this one scene, which wasn't actually supposed to be there, was about 20 pages long, which explains it. May I just say that I am not American and I have no idea of how adoption, ages of consent or anything else concerning government works in America. This means that all stuff relating to adoption, SEs and the Pentagon are completely out of my imagination. Also, though I might wish it, I can't speak Goa'uld. You may have noticed that I've building up a little 'dictionary' of these words that I keep recycling. In the #9, I will write them out to refresh your memories. And another thing; all 'superstition' is from a real rhyme I got from a book. You'll know when you find it! This is especially for the two Stephs: my best friend in England who is brilliant for support, reassurance and laughter, and my S/D friend in America who is equally brilliant and lets me ramble on about Danny for as long as I like! I couldn't do any of this without them, and I thank them very much for that. :-)

Stargate Command. The first line of defence for Earth, though very few people were aware of it. And SG1 was the best in the SGC. Quite surprising really, considering SG1 wasn't exactly your regular USAF team. Sure, it had your typical Colonel in command and his 2IC was an Airforce Major. But the other two members were...slightly unusual. Dr Daniel Jackson, their rather accident-prone archaeologist/anthropologist/linguist, who Jack thought was more trouble then he was worth, and Teal'c, an alien to Earth with an even stranger alien housed in his stomach, which just happened to be Earth's deadliest enemy. Not your run-of-the-mill team but the best, none the less. The very best.

Last time on Stargate SG1...

After being kidnapped by Apophis, Charlie is brainwashed but finally rescued by Jack. When her memories are regained, Charlie is thrown into shock, but this is only a taster of things to come...

And now the conclusion...

"What?"

The colour drained from Charlie's face, as she sank into her chair. Her hands were trembling in her lap, as she bit down on her bottom lip. Janet laid the form down and knelt in front of the girl, taking her hands in hers.

"It's alright, Charlie, really. I'm sure Jack would be..."

Charlie looked up at Janet and the doctor fell silent. Charlie looked back down and her shoulders began to shake, as sobs racked her chest.

"I...didn't sleep...with...J...jack!"

Charlie stood up and pulled away from Janet, hugging herself as if to make it all go away. Janet was left speechless but stood up and went behind the girl.

"You can tell me, Charlie."

Charlie turned back to Janet, with such a look of regret in her eyes.

"The child...belongs...t...to...Apophis."

Charlie collapsed into Janet's arms, letting her tears take over. Janet hugged Charlie to her, unable to comprehend the despair and misery running through Charlie's mind.

"W...what will Jack say?"

Janet held her at arms length, taking in the sobbing wreck that was her best friend's daughter. Charlie collapsed to the floor, pulling herself into a foetal position and rocking steadily. Janet crouched down and whispered reassuring comfort to Charlie.

"Well, what a turn up for the books!"

Both Charlie and Janet looked up, at the shadow that hung over them.

"Maybourne!"

~

General Hammond was enjoying a rare quiet morning in his office, when the airman brought the letter. The General dismissed him with a salute and opened the letter. And what he read filled him with horror. He read it through again and again before running to the Control Room. As soon as he reached the room, the Stargate shut down. SG1 he thought bitterly. Ignoring everyone's polite inquiries, George ran for the lift.

~

It was twelve hours before SG1 returned and Jack headed straight for the showers. Well, a detour by Daniel's office wouldn't hurt. He opened the door slowly, to find a very harried looking Charlie piling books into a box.

"Whatcha doing, Charlie?"

Charlie jumped and swung round, eyes blazing with fire. Jack actually stepped back, as she stuffed the last few things into the box and sealing the lid.

"Leaving. And, no, you can't change my mind because I have to do this. Now just go away and let me finish in peace!"

Charlie heaved the box into her arms and headed towards the door, effectively stopped by a huge wall of Jack.

"Leaving? For where?"

"Absolutely none of your business. Now, let me go!"

Jack pushed her back into the room and took the box out of her hands. Charlie snatched it back, looking quite vicious.

"Listen to me, Jack. Our relationship is over. I'm leaving now and I am not coming back."

Those words crumbled Jack's world but he held his ground.

"You're...not making any sense."

Charlie looked at him incredulously.

"Sense? What part don't you understand? We are over. O-V-E-R; over! I am going. You can't stop me. This is the END!"

Charlie stormed past Jack, as he faltered against the wall.

Sam and Daniel were heading for his office, when Charlie flew down the corridor without a word. They both turned at her departing figure, as she careered into the lift and pressed the control for the surface.

~

Charlie left the mountain in a hurry, unwilling to even consider what she was leaving. She quickly found the black Mercedes standing by the gate and placed her box in the back before climbing into the front.

"Very punctual, Charlene."

"That's Miss Jackson to you."

Maybourne looked across to Charlie, who was sitting taught and aware, taking careful note of where they were going.

"Actually, it isn't. You can call me father."

Charlie turned quickly, giving him a look of such rancour that he almost swerved into the car in front.

"Drop the act, Maybourne," she said, in a venomous whisper.

Maybourne sat back in the driver's seat, enjoying the power flowing through his veins.

"Just before we left, I issued our little...notices to General Hammond. Now, my dear, let me tell you what else I have done:

Of course, you know about Stages 1 and 2; they are the reason you are here, but Stage 3 is far more interesting..."

~

SG1 turned up for de-briefing, looking very depressed. Jack had told them about Charlie's 'departure' and they were all taking it quite badly. Sam was angry, Daniel was worried, Teal'c was curious (as always!) and Jack was strangely quiet.

The General watched them all enter; slightly surprised that Janet was already sitting at the table. The General gestured for them to take a seat.

"At the moment, we have a more pressing issue to address before your mission. I am sure you are all aware that Charlene has left."

SG1 exchanged startled looks, while Janet closed her eyes in regret.

"What you don't yet know is why. Today I received three notices," the General held up some sheaves of paper, "and they may give you some insight.

The first is from the Pentagon:

'We regret to inform you that members of the SGC are forbidden from adopting children and that current adopted children will be removed, at the request of NID. This does not affect SE108.'"

"What? Charlie has just been removed? What is going on?"

"Where is she going to go? This is her life!"

"This stinks of Harry Maybourne?"

"What is SE108?"

The voices of SG1 filled the room and George had to bang on the table three times to be heard.

"I think your questions will all be answered very soon..."

"Not quite all, General." Janet interrupted, "Teal'c: SE108 means 'Special Exception One-hundred-and-eight', which refers to Cassie. It means she won't be affected by this."

"Which leaves only Charlie. Sweet."

Jack sat back in his chair, fingers steepled in front of his face. George continued.

"The second letter is from the Adoption Office. Apparently, Charlie was listed as one of their SEs, attached to us. When they received note of her move, they informed us of her whereabouts. It appears she's now the daughter of one Harold Maybourne."

"Bastard!"

Jack stood up and banged the table, making all the water shake. Teal'c's stare could melt plutonium and Sam and Daniel both had their hands tightly clenched in their laps.

"Sit down, Colonel. There's more."

Jack complied and George continued.

" We also received an official order from NID:

'Under the jurisdiction of the United States Government, Charlene Maybourne is forbidden from associating or fraternising with members of Area 52. Anyone from the aforementioned area caught in the presence or vicinity of Charlene will be subject to instant court-martial."

"That is OUTRAGEOUS! I am going to trounce his ass!"

Jack stormed out of the room and everyone was too shocked to stop him. Sam started to cry and Daniel quickly pulled her into his arms.

"W...why would he do this? Why Charlie?"

The General nodded to Janet and she stood up.

"I think I have a reason but you're not going to like it.

When Apophis took Charlie, there was some...sexual interaction. Charlie is now carrying his child."

Teal'c roared with anger and thumped the table while Daniel gaped like a goldfish. Sam turned a ghastly white and General Hammond looked very shocked.

"I will crush him like a stone!"

"B...but why d...didn't she tell u...us?"

"So that's why Maybourne wanted her."

Everyone turned to Sam who had started to shake.

"He's going to study the child, isn't he? At Area 51? Oh my, he's going to experiment on her!"

~

Jack thundered towards his office, as airmen and marines dived out of his way. I'm gonna make that bastard pay. He is not gonna take my girl!

He burst into his room, grabbing the phone and ringing through to the surface.

"Get me the Pentagon!"

Jack waited for ten minutes before he got an answer.

"I want extension 4-9-6, NID...Yes, I have clearance... Colonel Jack O'Neill, Area 52...Thank you."

Jack hated working with pencil-pushers but he just managed to keep his tone even and fairly polite.

"Hello? NID?... Yes, this is about Charlene Jackson... Oh, Maybourne now, is she? What a surprise!... Yes, I want to know how such a cracked order got through your supposed 'elite' system... Hello? Hello? Oh damn!"

Jack slammed the phone down, as the line went dead. So much for being polite! Without hesitation, Jack dialled another number and got an answer straight away.

"Hello? Adoption Offices?... Yes, this is about SE295..."

~

Charlie got out of the car and slammed the door, just as Maybourne did the same. She was seething with fury but kept a neutral expression that she had carefully learned from Teal'c. She had persuaded him to teach her the technique before they went to rescue Daniel from Dakatte, when she had known that emotion shown would equate to a loss of face in front of an enemy, something Charlie would never allow.

Maybourne eyed her carefully but couldn't read a thing from her solemn expression. She looked like the SGC's Jaffa and Maybourne suspected that he was the one who had taught her to hold that expression.

"So, here goes Charlie! You're going to be a model daughter, aren't you?"

Charlie flashed him a bright smile before heading for the door, calling behind her:

"In hell, Maybourne!"

Cursing, he followed her up. He got them both signed in, giving stern looks to any guard who tried to eye his daughter. My daughter. Maybourne smirked happily. Charlie, the girl who commanded a huge following at the SGC, was now in his possession. Of course, getting her to come was less than legal but he knew she wasn't stupid. All he had had to do, was show her where he had planted a bomb in Jack's office which he could blow at any moment. And, if she disobeyed him, the bomb would blow; at which point, another would be planted in Daniel's office. He had told her all of this and it was all true. Maybourne was a harsh man and this was a perfect scheme for him.

He steered Charlie into an ominous grey room, with a variety of metallic machinery. Here she stopped but he dragged her forward. She struggled desperately but one of the guards struck her shoulder. She fell to the ground and the same guard picked her up and placed her in a long vertical tube in the ground. Charlie couldn't move an inch as the tube was raised into full light. It was made of transparent naquadah and Maybourne took great delight in her shocked expression. A few more guards appeared and wheeled two vertical towers of metal into the room, with long, protruding spikes. Charlie paled as they placed on either side of her.

"These are a few pieces of Asgard technology, Charlie. They are very accurate monitors. Brutal; but accurate. They also keep one's body active with electricity so that it can never shut down. And the spikes aren't even the monitors.; only the implanters of such an ingenious device. Are you ready, Charlie?"

Without waiting for a reply, Maybourne flicked a switch and both devices began to hum. As they closed in on her, Charlie settled her expression, trying to sink into Kel'no'reem, another of Teal'c's favourite pastimes. But she didn't even get to the first stage, as the stakes were driven sharply into her body. Charlie gasped briefly before locking her teeth firmly around her bottom lip. Her body was beginning to shudder as the metal prongs burrowed their way through her soft flesh. There was an electric shock, as Charlie finally found her meditation peace.

~

Jack replaced the receiver and sank back into his chair. He looked over the brief notes he had made and began to make pencil notes beside them, unaware of Daniel and Sam in the doorway behind him. Jack started to theorise out loud.

"So, if Charlie is under Maybourne's protection, he must have over-ruled the President. But that's not possible..."

"Unless the President over-ruled himself."

Jack turned to see his two best friends standing in the doorway. Daniel placed a reassuring hand on his shoulder, as Sam began to read through his notes.

"So, the President put Cassie and Charlie under the 'Area 52 act'. I never knew there was such a thing."

"Well, there obviously is. It means that members of the SGC can't be affected by outward officers. Which means that General Hammond can only be over-ruled by the President on matters concerning SGC personnel, and Cassie and Charlie."

Jack sat back in his chair, trying to work out how Charlie could possibly fall into NID's hands. Daniel had his usual puzzled frown on, meaning that he was several stages ahead of Jack but was still stuck. Sam was re-reading the notes, when she suddenly picked up the phone.

"White House."

Jack and Daniel both looked at her but she just shrugged.

"Hello, can I speak to the President?... No, this is not a joke.... Major Samantha Carter, Area 52... Thank you."

Sam waited patiently on the phone while Jack moved towards his computer, logging quickly onto the Internet.

"Whatcha doing, Jack?"

"I know Area 51's URL. I'm looking up some stuff."

Daniel nodded, but his mind was whirring. NID have a website? Isn't that a bit stupid? Shrugging, he turned his attention back to Sam's phone call.

"Hello Mr President...Yes, it is urgent...You know about the Area 52 act?...We think there may have been a breach...Involving Charlene Jackson, sir...Yes, my daughter...Colonel Harry Maybourne...Excuse me?...I see, sir...I think I understand...Goodbye sir."

Sam slammed the phone down and swore. Jack turned, eyebrows raised, but Sam just kicked the desk.

"He issued the order! He said that she was a 'threat'. Do you believe the ignorance of the man? I can't believe I voted for him!"

Sam continued to swear and kick things around Jack's office. The man merely smiled and turned back to his computer.

Daniel was forced to duck as a cup of coffee sailed over his head, smashing against the wall, drenching Daniel in scalding liquid.

"Ow! Sam, can you quit with the throwing already?"

Sam gasped in horror at the sight of her soaked, burnt husband. She ran over and grabbed his shoulders, letting go when he hissed in pain.

"Get Danny to the infirmary, Carter.

"Yes, sir."

Suddenly, she stopped and turned around.

"Y'know, sir; it's actually 'Jackson' now."

~

Bruised, bloodied and thoroughly annoyed, Charlie was roughly dumped on a bed before the door was slammed. Hissing with pain, she hauled herself up and observed the room around her. It was small with only a bed and a computer. A computer? Obviously monitored, but Charlie could bypass every security system invented, due to Sam and Lou. She went in and tapped into Harry Maybourne's personal password, which she was sure would be free of monitoring. Before she went further, she quickly checked the room for surveillance devices, of which there were none. She went back to work, sending an e-mail straight to the one person she trusted most...

~

As Jack sat working in his office, a mail notice popped onto his screen. He opened it quickly, expecting a routine report. It was Harry Maybourne's address. He opened it cautiously, wondering if you could send exploding e-mails. When the document finally downloaded he sat back in surprise at the words on the screen:

Jack,
Be very careful! There is an NID spy at the SGC. I am fine and you really mustn't worry. Please don't try to come after me because it will just make things worse. Maybourne has it in for you, Jack.

Take care

Chaz

(PS There's a bomb under your desk)

Jack leapt back from his desk and slammed the alarm. A team was in his room in seconds, with Teal'c and Sam close on their heels.

"There could be a bomb under my desk."

"Could?"

Jack shrugged but just gestured to the desk. Sam leant under it, then backed off, swearing.

"A C4 remote. How the hell did that get there?"

Suddenly, one of the men in the group pulled his gun and placed it to his head, firing immediately. Jack yelled but it was too late. Sam was shocked but the other airmen quickly disconnected the bomb before getting the shakes. Jack reached for the wall phone

"Janet? Airman Phillips just shot himself. I think he was NID."

Jack replaced the phone and went to his computer. He saved the e-mail before severing the Internet connection. He asked the airmen to carry Phillips' body to the morgue, before Jack asked the others over.

"Charlie sent me an e-mail from NID."

He called up the document and let Sam and Teal'c read it over. There was a moan from the door, followed by a shocked gasp.

"How did you get blood on your carpet? Are you alright?"

They all turned to Daniel, who quickly picked his way around the mess on the floor. He squinted at the computer screen and his eyebrows could've hit the roof.

"She's at NID? And Maybourne 'has it in for you'? Why, Jack?"

"I don't know, Daniel."

Jack sat back, worry settling over his tired features.

"I honestly don't know."

~

Charlie had ripped her sheets to pieces in a vague attempt to patch up the wounds currently soaking blood over her clothes. She had been in Kel'no'reem for what seemed like forever and she was feeling better but, apparently, you only heal if you actually have a symbiot. Shame, that.

There was a knock on the door and Charlie was mildly surprised. They actually knock in these places?

"Come in, 'cause you will anyway."

Harry Maybourne strode in, looking very pleased with himself.

"We have made a fascinating discovery."

"Good for you. You can tell me after I've been rescued."

"Rescued? Why, you're not a prisoner, Charlie. Anyway, who would rescue you? If your precious Colonel came within an inch of you, he'd be immediately subject to court martial."

"May I remind you of the Area 52 act?"

Harry's eyes widened and Charlie lay back on her bed, satisfied that she had shocked him.

"How do you know about that?"

"And doesn't this whole scheme of yours actually defy that act?"

Harry drew himself up boldly, thinking of ways to make this disobedient girl conform.

"The President overruled it in your case. You're a threat, Charlie. We were told to 'apprehend' you as soon as possible."

"You will not call me, Charlie. the privilege is no longer yours. You shall call me Charlene, like all the other airmen."

Harry was flabbergasted and just walked out. Charlie leaned back and smiled to herself. One-nil to Charlie!

~

"Okay, NID have some very impressive files..."

"Colonel; have you been hacking into classified files?"

The General tried to look shocked, when really he was very pleased. Charlie Jackson was, as Jack had once said, 'one of the most valuable assets to this base', and also a huge morale booster to the whole base. More than that, the General wanted her around if she was carrying a Goa'uld child, because the SGC were the experts and the General trusted no one more than Janet, except perhaps SG1.

Jack flashed the General a smile, before continuing.

"They have actually filed some medical reports as well, and they refer to an experiment called 'Operation Larvae'. Now, I'm guessing that's about Charlie, since we haven't been informed of such an experiment."

"And the unit studying the Gourld is called 'Operation Ra', officially a study of the sun," Sam cut in, sounding slightly amused.

Jack continued, "It says that monitors have been implanted in the subject and all legalities have been taken care of, as well as 'securing loose ends'. I'm guessing that means he's taken care of us."

Jack's mouth settled into a hard line, as his military aura settled over his features. That expression meant trouble was coming to whoever dared cross the man, and one Harry Maybourne was top of the list.

"Well, Colonel, you've certainly done your research, but you know I can't authorise a mission that contravenes Presidential orders."

"I know, sir. But you know we have some leave due."

All of SG1 turned expectantly to the General, who sighed. He knew this was a plea, an unofficial sanction to retrieve Charlie. He nodded slowly and they all smiled, even Teal'c. Janet walked in at that moment and came straight over to the general.

"I have leave due too, sir."

The General was feeling braver now and happy that he had done the right thing.

"Sure Doctor. How about you go with SG1 here, for some quality downtime."

Janet nodded and the five left the room, chattering among themselves. The General headed for his office, pleased in himself.

~

Charlie was roused from her meditation by someone shaking her shoulders. She opened one eye, looking over the shocked airman.

"You wanted something?"

He looked very embarrassed and Charlie realised that there were several blood-stained bandages obviously placed on her bare arms. Charlie quickly took in the tray of food and medical kit standing by the door. She got up slowly, careful not to aggravate any injuries.

"Um...I've brought you some dinner...and...medical stuff. The Colonel doesn't want you to get ill."

"So considerate of him. What's in the medical kit?"

"Some morphine, a few other painkillers; nothing much."

"Get me some Vallium, Disprol and Ibuleve and we can be friends."

The airman saluted and left. Charlie picked up the tray and observed the contents. There was a cheese salad, followed by chocolate gateaux and topped with strong, hot coffee. Oh damn; all my favourites! Charlie was about to give up on her refusal, when she caught sight of something else on the tray. She picked up the red rose and crushed it her palm. No one played on her affections and roses were Jack's gift. The airman returned with the drugs and she snatched them off him, before turning her back on him and settling back into Kel'no'reem.

~

After the General's dispensation, Jack headed back to his office. His team were all looking to him for guidance and he hadn't got a clue. What could they do anyway? And, when they had Charlie, what would they do then? Jack wasn't usually so considerate but, when the future was concerned, Charlie figured pretty largely in his equation.

So, they would just have to work together. Everyone had a connection to Charlie, however small, and Jack knew that there would be loads of 'volunteers'.

Sam and Daniel were her parents, trying desperately to keep up with Charlie, who almost equalled Daniel with her enthusiasm. Charlie had been very closed in when they adopted her, but with such caring parents, she was quick to adapt. Sam and Daniel had brought out the best in Charlie, and they would never let her go.

Teal'c had a special relationship with Charlie, which Jack hadn't quite worked out. They seemed to share a bond of sorts, smiling secret smiles and knowing something that no one else could possibly know. Sure, they had little 'untranslatable' titles, 'kar'ec' and 'to'var', and that carried some pretty heavy meaning. Jack wasn't sure whether Daniel really didn't understand what they were saying, or whether he thought it was better left untold. It was obviously something private and no one had ever asked what either word meant, just accepted that it was there.

Janet, Lou and the General had all just fallen victim to Charlie's charm. She was like Daniel in her ways, very moralistic and genuinely kind. But she had begun to pick up Jack's sarcastic streak, making her even more appealing to the people of SGC.

And then there was Jack. There had always been attraction between them but the age gap had made the relationship seem off-limits. Somehow, they had let it slip past their defences and had ended up in each others arms. Literally. Strange, how it had taken a base emergency to get them together, when they were so obviously in love. Even though they had hardly met in the ten months they had known each other, they had built up an ultimate trust and understanding, something Jack would never allow to be taken away.

They finally arrived in his office, where the team all sat down.

"So, what do we do now? We have the information, the location, but no plan as of yet. Suggestions, people?"

Everyone thought to themselves, and, unsurprisingly, Daniel was the first to the conclusion.

"Brian!"

~

Charlie was dragged to the machine room again, where she was greeted by a grinning Harry Maybourne.

"Hello Charli...Charlene. I have some news for you."

Charlie, tired and starving hungry, did little to protest as she was forced into a threatening-looking chair. A glass globe was lowered over her head and a white light swept the room.

"This will simply read your mind, Charlene. Because, my dear, we believe that the SGC has lied. Your child is, in fact, three months old."

Charlie's eyebrows rose in surprise. Three months old? But that was impossible! Her mind flooded with possible reasons, as lasers fixed on the sides of her head.

Screams echoed through the hallways, and Brian covered his ears. He knew who was in that room and he didn't want to hear her suffer. After leaving the SGC, he had joined NID but was beginning to regret it. When Charlie had 'disappeared', he had thought things couldn't get worse. They just had.

Suddenly, one of the 'messengers' ran up to him, carrying a mobile phone.

"A present for you, sir. One of the Area 52 airmen gave it to me: a Major Ferretti. He said it was for 'Hermione'. That make sense, sir?"

Brian's throat constricted but he managed to nod. The man smiled and ran off again. Brian stared at the phone. He knew Lou was a good friend of Colonel O'Neill's and Hermione was the name of that Tok'sokar Gourld that had taken Charlie meaning...Brian didn't shy away from the responsibility. He waited for Charlie to be taken back to her room and then walked straight in.

The girl was lying weakly on her side, one arm draped over the side of the bed. There was a deep frown on her forehead, as she laid a hand over her slightly swollen stomach. She looked up at Brian and smiled.

"So, you're here now, are you?"

Her voice was low and soft, and Brian was straining to hear her. He kneeled beside her and slipped the phone into her free hand.

"It's from Lou."

She inclined her head slightly but he just left. Summoning her strength, Charlie pulled herself against the wall, relaxing her head against the solid surface. She switched on the phone, surprised at it's content. There were several numbers in the Phone Book: Irish Devil, Astro Girl and Clumsy Klutz. Charlie smiled to herself, as she read the numbers. Suddenly, a text message alert came up. She clicked on the button and a little message scrolled across the screen. Charlie replied quickly, changed the codes on the phone and turned down the volume. She switched the phone off, the words running through her mind.

The ruined statue. Tuesday at 11am.

~

Tuesday dawned with radiance, as Jack slipped on his denim jacket. Sam and Daniel had stayed at his house, and Teal'c had already taken up residence for their 'holiday'. Jack was like a cat on hot bricks, nervously wringing his hands until the others woke up.

Sam rubbed her eyes sleepily and looked up at the clock.

"Okay, we have an hour to get there. I'll wake up Daniel and Teal'c."

"I am awake, Major Carter."

Teal'c walked in, looking more alert than the rest of them. Sam scowled at him for no particular reason and Jack winced.

"Okay. So, where's Daniel?"

~

Charlie hammered on her door steadily. Finally, an airmen came in.

"Yes, ma'am?"

"I need to go to Colorado Springs. I have some shopping to do."

The airmen smiled, taking in her blood-stained fatigues.

"Sure, ma'am. Would you like some...other clothes?"

Charlie smiled kindly at the man, who began to blush. He saluted and left. Charlie looked on her computer clock nervously. 10:15. She sat down, took some tablets out of various bottles and swallowed them down dry.

The airman returned, with some clothes. Charlie smiled again

"The car will be ready at half-ten, ma'am."

Finally, she thought, someone who doesn't use military time!

"Thank you, Airmen..."

"Lieutenant Rogers, ma'am."

Charlie nodded to him again, feeling an opportunity appearing.

"Thank you, Lieutenant."

He saluted and left. Charlie sighed and began to get changed.

~

Jack sighed heavily. After looking everywhere for Daniel, he had found him. The young man was slumped over the computer keyboard, glasses askew and hair sticking up. Sam came in behind Jack and smiled. She went over to Daniel , kneeled beside him and blew softly on his face. He moaned softly and Sam took his face in her hands and kissed him lightly. Jack went downstairs and started up the car. Teal'c was already in the front seat and Sam and Daniel finally arrived, Daniel looking decidedly tidier.

They drove off, towards the 'deserted' end of Colorado Springs. Jack had arranged to meet Charlie at a very distinctive place; where the statue had fallen on Daniel. Of course, the local people didn't know that it was actually an alien who thought she was an Egyptian goddess masquerading as a terrorist group that had blown up the bomb in Colorado Springs. Then again, they didn't know half the things that went on in their 'quiet' town. Why should aliens be any different?

The statue had been too heavy to move, so it had just been left lying on its side. It had become something of a landmark and there was now a small precinct of cafes and shops around the area. Jack parked in a nearby car park and turned to his friends.

"You stay here. We're more recognisable as a group and I'm not landing everyone in trouble for the sake of some recon. Got it?"

They all nodded solemnly, as Jack got out of the car. It was a beautiful day, but Jack didn't feel like smiling. He made his way to the statue and stopped a few metres away. A very dejected, tired-looking figure sat on the upturned 'base' of the statue, dangling her legs over the edge. She wore a faded pair of jeans, a white T-shirt and a long leather coat that came to her knees. She also had a pair of sunglasses covering her pretty, brown eyes. She looked up as Jack approached, and a slight smile played on her lips. Jack sat down beside her and she leaned against him, wearily.

"Been a while, hasn't it?"

"Oh yeah."

They sat in silence for a few minutes before Jack got to his feet and pulled Charlie up.

"Come and have something to eat. If Area 51's food is bad as the SGC's, then you'll need feeding up."

"Actually, I haven't touched it. Looked a little...off."

Jack looked at her in concern, but couldn't tell a thing while her eyes were hidden behind those dark glasses. They sat down in a small café, and Jack ordered.

"Two coffees and..."

"Two chocolate sundaes with extra cream."

The waitress smiled and went off. Jack looked at her and smiled.

"Chocolate? You trying to make me fat?"

Charlie shrugged and then shivered, but Jack didn't miss the little wince she gave. If that bastard's laid a finger on her...Charlie looked a little haggard but Jack could tell little of her emotions while her dark, expressive eyes were hidden. She had the look of someone who had lost a lot of weight in a very short time.
The waitress arrived with the sundaes. Charlie smiled at her and ate the ice cream slowly. Her coat slipped slightly, revealing red sores on her lower arm. Jack reached over and took her arm.

"How did this happen?"

Charlie pulled her arm away, gasping as she did. She didn't know why she had agreed to this meeting in the first place. She had just been so desperate to see him.

"I can't tell you."

Jack arched his eyebrows and a smile played on Charlie's lips. She took another mouthful of ice cream. A drip ran from the corner of her mouth and Jack leaned forward to wipe it away, noticing a purple bruise at her neck. The anger boiled inside him but he kept silent. Charlie finished her ice cream and Jack did likewise. She looked straight at him.

"I have something to tell you, Jack. I'm sure you've been told many reasons for my leaving but I doubt you know this one."

Jack was curious. What hadn't he been told?

"When I was kidnapped by Apophis, there was an...incident. I don't remember much but it was...intense. But there is something that I know, something that Maybourne is using against me. All I really want to say, Jack, is that...is that..."

Charlie faltered, fatigue and lack of energy sinking deep into her gaunt frame. Jack was giving her a very concerned look and Charlie didn't want to hurt him, but it had to be said. If Jack knew, Charlie was sure he'd give up on her. He had to give up on her, for his own good.

"Tell me, Charlie."

Charlie licked her lips, and spoke again."

"I'm carrying his child."

Jack's mouth fell slightly open, and fierce electricity ran through his eyes. Charlie sat there, hoping she didn't get caught when he did explode. She stood to leave, unwilling to put him through anymore torment. He came up behind her and grabbed her shoulder.

"That's why Maybourne wants you, isn't it? Oh, Chaz..."

Chaz. The nickname only he could use for her, a privilege for only him. He used it now, as a silent plea for her to stay with him.

"I can't stay, Jack."

Suddenly, a waiter bumped into Charlie and her glasses clattered to the floor. She bent quickly to pick them up, but Jack was quicker. He grabbed them and looked up. He sucked in a horrified breath, as her face was finally revealed. Two burning wounds lay beside her eyes and one eye was almost swollen shut. A tear slid from Charlie's eyes and she made for the door. Jack chased her into the street, where it had started to rain. She turned to him.

"Don't follow me, Ja..."

Charlie gasped and clutched her stomach. She swooned to the ground, rainwater puddling around her. Jack bent over her, stroking her hair.

"You're safe now, Charlie."

Sam and Daniel ran over, having seen the incident. Jack carefully lifted her into his arms, and Daniel moved to take off her coat.

"Not here, Daniel."

The young man looked confused but Jack just hurried to the car. Sam and Daniel leapt back in the car and Jack lay Charlie across Teal'c, who was looking very worried, and angry. Jack started the car, not wanting to think of why she had collapsed. He drove towards Cheyenne, wondering how he was going to explain this one to the General.

~

Jack screeched to halt outside the SGC. The guards knew something was up immediately and opened the gates quickly. Teal'c got, out carrying Charlie and the members of SG1 all ran into the SGC. The four soaked figures stormed through the SGC halls, scattering airmen and marines as they went. Jack skidded into the infirmary where Janet had already received word of their arrival. She indicated a bed and Teal'c gently set the girl down. Janet gently removed the leather coat and gasped. The nurses ushered SG1 out of the room, as Janet examined the girl in shock.

"I want a full MRI scan, minimum radiation. There's something in these wounds that's keeping them fresh."

The nurses nodded and set to work. Charlie moaned softly and began to stir. Janet thought Jack O'Neill must have the hearing of an owl, as he was in there like a shot.

"Chaz?"

The girl shook off the last strands of unconsciousness and her eyelids flew open.

"You're an idiot, Jack O'Neill."

"I was not going to leave you in the road!"

"It would've been better that way."

Jack stepped back, tears trickling down his cheeks. Janet moved in, not understanding but also not wishing to pry.

"Charlie? How are you feeling?"

Like I just got tortured for a fortnight. What do you think? Charlie bit back that remark quickly.

"Better."

Janet knew a non-committal response when she saw one and that definitely qualified.

"So, are you on any medication?"

Charlie closed her eyes and began to recite.

"Disprol, Vallium, Morphine and Ibuleve. I think that's it."

Janet's eyebrows could've reached the ceiling. Jack just grimaced.

"Okay, I'll put you on a morphine drip."

Janet turned to the nurse, instructing her to dilute it thoroughly. Janet tugged Jack out for the room, into her office. He collapsed into a chair.

"What were all those drug things?"

"Well, Disprol is a variety of paracetamol, Vallium is a sleeping tablet, Morphine is a painkiller and Ibuleve is a muscle relaxant. I've taken a blood sample but that's probably what made her collapse."

Jack nodded distantly. What had Maybourne done to his Charlie? What had Apophis done to her? Jack turned to Janet, who was still watching him.

"You knew, didn't you? About the child."

Janet did a double-take. She told him? Janet nodded slightly, answering her own question, as much as Jack's. He fixed her coldly, silently communicating all his fear, anger and hurt in that one expression. He got up and went back to Charlie.

Teal'c stood in the doorway, while Daniel paced the corridor outside. Sam had fled to her lab, attempting to block Charlie's image from her mind. Jack, however, needed to talk. He waved Teal'c off and, when Janet approached, he looked at her, accusation leaking from his eyes.

"We need a moment alone please."

Janet nodded and left for her office. Jack sat on the edge of the bed, while, Charlie turned her head pointedly away from him.

"Why didn't you tell me sooner, Chaz?"

"I was afraid."

Charlie slowly turned her head, eyes locking intensely with his.

"I was afraid of what you would think, what Maybourne would do, and what might happen if you knew. I'm trying to keep you safe here, Jack. Please don't fight me."

Jack swallowed, drinking in her words, and picking up the hidden meaning beneath her words. I wanted to but it was too dangerous. Charlie let her eyes brim but blinked before the tears could escape.

"You don't need to hide anymore, Chaz. I'm here for you, we're all here for you. And no one is going to stop that. We're a family, we get through stuff together. And no stupid NID colonels, nor System Lords, nor anyone else, will stand between us. Got that, Charlie?"

Charlie opened her eyes, gazing at Jack fondly. He squeezed her hand lightly and she shook her head.

"What did I do to deserve you?"

Jack grinned at her and kissed her lightly on the forehead.

"Got sent from above at NID."

They laughed together, recalling Charlie's rather ungraceful descent from the ceiling at Area 51. When the laughter had subsided, Jack frowned.

"What happened to those cute little gloves of yours?"

Charlie closed her eyes in thought but just shrugged.

"No idea. Maybe I left them..."

Charlie gasped and clutched her stomach, eyes wide. Jack leaned forward to support her, calling for Janet.

"We need some help here!"

Janet ran in and took in the shaking girl, who was already hyper-ventilating. Jack held her tightly but it was obvious the pain was getting worse. Charlie began to panic and started spouting Goa'uld.

"Nee Marien! Alpha Harseisus...Danielle...Ka'rec!"

Teal'c was in there like a shot, followed closely by Daniel. Janet grabbed a syringe and jabbed in Charlie's arm. Her eyes rolled back and she fell into unconsciousness. Jack gently lowered back onto the pillow, sending Janet worried glances. The doctor shook her head and motioned for them all to go to her office. This was something she wanted to tell them in private. Teal'c looked very distressed and Daniel excused himself to quickly get Sam. He returned a few minutes later with a concerned Sam in tow. Jack collapsed in a chair, looking older than his 45 years. Janet began her diagnosis.

"I just got the MRI results. It seems that Charlie's child is three months old."

"But that's not possible! I mean, it was only six weeks ago!"

Sam started to wave her hands around, only stopped when Daniel sandwiched them firmly between his own.

"Getting worked up won't help, Sam."

"He's right, Car...Sam. We've got to listen to Doc."

Jack nodded to Janet, struggling to keep a clear head himself.

"There must be something causing the child to grow at double the normal rate. And I think Charlie knows. Teal'c, Daniel; did you hear what she said?"

Daniel shook his head but Teal'c nodded solemnly, a single tear spilling from his eyes. Janet bit her lip, resisting the urge to wrap him up in her arms. He bowed his head and began to speak.

"To translate exactly, she said: 'No symbiosis.' I believe that is the word; in Goa'uld it is represented by 'marriage'. Then, she said : ' Alpha Harseisus', meaning that a Harseisus child is taking the place of a symbiot in a relationship. 'Beta' is used to refer to a host. But, she also said the name 'Danielle', yet I do not know to whom she refers. Then, she called for me."

Damn, thought Jack, I've always wanted to know what 'Ka'rec' means!

"The Gourld use the Greek alphabet?"

"Why's she on about the Harse-whatsit?"

"Who's Danielle?"

"The child's a Harseisus!"

Everyone turned to Daniel, who, as usual, was two steps ahead of anyone else. Now, he had to explain.

"That's what she was trying to tell us. She's sharing her body with the child, like you would with a symbiot. And the kid's a Harseisus! And, maybe, she's been talking to it! Y'know, it could be possible."

"It is, Daniel Jackson. A...friend of mine thought she could communicate with her larval Goa'uld. We did not believe her. Perhaps she was right."

Teal'c's voice reflected a deep sadness that only Janet noticed. Sam and Jack were too caught up in Daniel's words.

"So, why's she keep collapsing?"

Daniel shrugged, indicating that his expertise ended there. Janet cut in.

"Maybe there was too much information, an overload of some sort. And maybe Harseisus children grow faster than normal; we have no way of knowing."

"Well, seeing as this is just speculation, maybe we should ask the expert."

~

Charlie's eyes flickered open, to be greeted with dozens of smiling faces. She blinked a few times, and was glad to see the figure reduce to just five. Much better!

"Hey, Sleeping Beauty!"

"Why do you have to call me that?"

Jack thought it over for a few seconds, before answering.

"Well, you always seem to make the coffee. I figured you were just sleepier than the rest of us."

Charlie rolled her eyes and met everyone's concerned gazes with a ghost of a smile.

"So, what's going on?"

"We need to ask you about...Danielle."

Daniel knew he was clutching at straws but the statement had the desired effect. Charlie's eyes widened and she mouthed a silent 'oh'. She relaxed against the pillows and closed her eyes, opening them again a few seconds later.

"How did you know?"

"We were talking to you and you suddenly started talking Gourld. Teal'c translated. Seems you were talking about a Harseisus symbiot."

Charlie sighed. So, they knew loads. Should tell them the rest or they'll worry.

"Before we went to find Graham and Dad, I asked Ka'rec to teach me Kel'no'reem. When I...found myself in Area 51, I started the discipline. But soon I couldn't just hear my own thoughts, but another's as well. It's my child."

Charlie drew her hand across her swollen stomach, closing her eyes as she did so.

"She sends me images, of the Goa'uld, scenes a human child couldn't possibly know. Which means she's a Harseisus. I named her Danielle."

Charlie opened her eyes, a smile playing on her lips. The others exchanged slightly startled looks, but the base alarm suddenly began to trill.

Jack rung through to the control room. He slammed the phone down after a minute.

"Maybourne's come for Charlie."

Charlie's eyes went wide in fright, silently begging not to be taken. Jack nodded and motioned to his team and doctor.

"Sam and Daniel; grab everything we'll need for a week's stay in the Land of Light. Janet; you prepare Chaz for the trip. Teal'c; you're with me."

Everyone nodded and set about doing their tasks.

~

Jack and Teal'c met General Hammond on his way up to the surface.

"Plan, Jack?"

"We're working on it, sir. You just keep him back."

The General nodded, as the pair detoured to the armoury. George continued to the surface, meeting with Harry a few minutes later.

"Where is she, General?"

George decided to play dumb.

"Where's who, Colonel?"

"Charlene Maybourne, my daughter. I know she's here."

Hurry Jack!

"I wasn't aware you had a daughter, Harry. And I doubt she could find her way into a secure location if you had."

"Damn you! You know bloody well who I'm talking about!"

Harry was on the verge of shaking George by his collar No one escaped from Harry Maybourne!

"There is no one by that name registered as entering my facility. But I'm sure the guards will let you check."

George smiled politely and motioned to the computer. Scowling, Harry went to the computer. Just then, George's pager went off. The general lifted the device and read off it.

See you in a week, sir!

~

Charlie walked into the Gate room, supported by Janet, as the final chevron locked. The wormhole blasted open, and Jack scooped the exhausted girl into his arms.

"You're safe now, Chaz."

"I know, Jack."

SG1, Charlie and Janet strode through the Gate to the peaceful Land of the Light, where they were greeted by Drey'ac and Ry'ac.

"Colonel O'Neill? What brings you here?"

The woman took in the limp figure of Charlie, who had passed out again. Teal'c shook his head slightly at Drey'ac and she gave the simplest of nods.

"Follow me. I'm sure Tuplo will be happy to see you."

Motioning to Ry'ac, Drey'ac headed into the forest, that seemed a little lighter than before. Sam and Daniel talked quietly to each other, while Teal'c stayed near Ry'ac and Jack and Charlie. She woke up a few metres away from the Light side of the planet.

"Where are we, Jack?"

"Land of the Light."

"The Broca place?"

"Uh-huh."

Charlie nodded slightly, unconsciously laying her hand across her stomach. Jack hardly noticed as they neared the great city. He was too worried that she hadn't protested his carrying her. She dozed slightly, letting Danielle's images run freely through her mind.

Sam took Daniel's hand, glad that he was there with her. With her life being a torrent roller coaster, she needed someone steady to be her rock.

Teal'c watched Ry'ac proudly, glad that his son was happy. Drey'ac drifted to his side. How could he tell her that he loved another? Janet's image wafted into his mind, bringing a sharp dash of cold reality to his heart that she didn't really feel the same. He had...how did O'Neill put it...carried a torch for her since the day they had met. He had never met a female healer before and she came as quite a shock. They had indulged their feelings for a while but they had fallen apart when Teal'c had been more committed to his team. But it was now clear that she did not feel the same at all.

SG1 walked in with Charlie. Janet had kept her distance the whole way, unwilling to intrude on Teal'c's family reunion. They had grown distant recently, stopped the small gestures and smiles that had hinted at affection. Janet let one tear slide down her cheek and brushed it away quickly. But Daniel and Sam had seen, and they were worried about their friend.

"It's Teal'c, isn't it?"

"I should think so."

Sam smiled sadly and cast another glance at her best friend. Daniel patted her arm gently and Sam smiled. They followed Jack up to the banquet table, where Tuplo greeted them.

"Colonel O'Neill, how delightful it is to see you again?"

"Hello Tuplo . Um...my...friend is ill but she can't...stay on our world. Could we stay here a while?"

Tuplo was sceptical. Sure, the gods masquerading as humans had saved them before but now they brought an sick child into their midst? He smiled brightly and indicated one of their private rooms; away from anyone the girl could make ill.

Jack followed Tuplo into a large, comfortable room, with a soft couch and silken drapes. Jack set Charlie gently on the couch, as the others followed them in. Daniel collapsed on a pile of pillows, looking exhausted. Sam sat down next to him, slipping her arm around his shoulders. He smiled at her gratefully.

"How about you get some sleep? You look tired."

Daniel knew how to take a hint. He gave her a sloppy salute before she knocked his hand down. His eyelids were already beginning to droop and somehow she managed to get him lying across her. He was asleep in minutes and Janet held her hands in a clapping motion to Sam. She smiled and absently began to stroke the sleeping archaeologist's hair. Janet whispered to Teal'c:

"How can she do that? I can't even attempt it with sedatives!"

Teal'c flashed her a rare smile and turned to her, looking concerned.

"You must rest, Janet."

She eyed him sceptically and got up to look at Charlie. She checked her temperature and the many bandages she had placed, under Jack's watchful eye. He practically dragged her out of the room, to talk.

"I want to know how she is, Janet. What did...he do to her?"

Whatever strong word was going to go there, was silenced when one of the Untouched came round the corner, bringing some very tempting dishes. Jack smiled at her and took the tray. She bowed and went back down the corridor.

"You really want to know?"

Jack nodded slightly and Janet sighed, preparing to grab the tray if he dropped it.

"There is some kind of health monitor embedded in various parts of her body. It's made of naquadah and I don't know if we can remove it. The burns by her eyes appear to have been caused by some kind of...mind reader. Who knows what else has been going on we just can't tell."

Jack started to shake and began to lift the tray, as if to throw it. Janet grabbed his hands, stopping its ascent.

"You'll wake them," she said simply.

Taking the tray, Janet went back into the room, followed by Jack. He knelt beside the couch, ignoring the protests from his knee. Janet set the tray down by the cushions and took a sticky-looking cake. Teal'c eyed her carefully, as she leaned against him almost unconsciously, sighing deeply.

"It's not fair, Teal'c."

"Nothing ever is, Janet."

He slipped his arms around her waist, and she placed her hand on top. Sam watched them silently, smiling to herself. Why is it the crises that bring people together? She stared lovingly down on her husband, taking in the peaceful features. She ran her fingers over the fine frown lines on his forehead, barely visible in sleep. He had been through so much, that even she couldn't erase those lines, of pain and heartache.

Jack entwined his fingers in Charlie's short-cropped hair, trying to ignore the white bandages lining her closed eyes. Suddenly, she stirred with a cry, struggling weakly against an invisible enemy. Jack laid a hand across her forehead, trying to reassure her. Her eyes flew open in panic but relaxed as Jack's face came into focus.

"Nightmare?"

She nodded slightly, pushing herself up against the couch. Her bump was much more noticeable now. 13 weeks already! thought Jack, in amazement. Of course, it had only been around six weeks, but the child was growing at double the normal rate. Janet had brought some ultrasound equipment, in case they needed to stay longer.

"You hungry?"

"Oh yeah."

Jack smiled and went to get some food from the tray. He noticed that Sam and Janet were now asleep as well, and Teal'c appeared to be meditating.

"Looks look they all fell asleep on us."

"What am I gonna do when Danielle is born?"

Straight to the point, us usual, thought Jack, wryly. He moved back to her and sat next to her on the couch and she leaned into him.

"What we're gonna do, Charlie. You don't have to do this alone, we're right here; all of us."

"You can't do that, Jack. I mean, you're out saving the universe. I can't drag you from that."

"Who's dragging? You've got volunteers."

Jack wiped at the tears that had sprung from her eyes, and she gave him a watery smile.

"You're brilliant, y'know that."

"Flattery will get you nowhere."

Charlie chuckled and sank deeply into Jack's arms.

"I love you, Jack."

"I love you too, Charlie."

~

It had been two weeks since Jack's 'special envoy' had left for the Land of Light, scattered with regular radio contact to the SGC. George had gotten rid of Harry fairly quickly and the complex was doing remarkably well without them. SG2 was enjoying playing 'head division' and Major Ferretti and no problem backing it up.

The infirmary was coping without Janet, seeing it was usually SG1 that provided the excitement anyway. Graham and Louise were looking after Cassie, seeing as she obviously couldn't go through the Gate.

Another wormhole opened and a radio signal came through.

"Hello sir! We might just stay here a little longer. Seems there's gonna by a pretty cool comet display. And, don't worry; this is not going to be another Edora! O'Neill out!"

The wormhole shut down and George sighed. Yes, his people deserved their off-time and he couldn't drag them from a bunch of natural fireworks. Another Edora. George wondered if he meant the first part, or the second.

~

"Comets?"

"Oh yeah. Lotsa comets."

"But not comets that are gonna crush us?"

Jack smiled, as Charlie dragged herself from sleep. They had regained trust and he had placed them in three different rooms; Sam with Daniel, Jack with Charlie and Janet with Teal'c. They hadn't seen Drey'ac since their arrival but Ry'ac brought fruit often and he seemed intrigued by Charlie. She was becoming very tired and listless, and stayed on the couch or within the soft sheets of her bed more and more often. Ry'ac would sit beside her and listen as she told him Hindu stories about mischievous gods and innocent children. He loved to listen to her talk, and sometimes Teal'c had to physically drag him away.

Some days Jack had carried her into the well-kept gardens and they had talked about everything they could think off. Today she had fallen asleep under the midday sun, and was now waking up when the others had crashed down with a massive picnic.

"No, they're not going to crush us. Jack's just being pessimistic."

Daniel shrugged and Jack threw a squashed fruit at him, but missed completely and hit Sam. She turned slowly, wiping tomato-like paste from her hair. Charlie started to giggle and put a hand to her mouth, eyes lighting up with laughter. Jack looked horrified but everyone else had huge grins on their faces. Sam picked up a cup of water and threw it at Jack, hitting him squarely in the face.

"Right, that does it!"

The Colonel got up and chased Sam around the garden. Daniel rolled his eyes and Charlie leaned back on her hands. The sky was clear blue and the sun shone brightly. Teal'c was feeding Janet grapes; they seemed to have forgotten that they even split up in the first place. Daniel watched his wife tease Jack, wondering how he could be so lucky.

Charlie started humming to herself, feeling happier than she had been in ages. But her mind drifted back to the obvious bump in her stomach, draining her of all her energy. Why was she going through with this? What would she do when Danielle was born? Sure, Jack would be there but she couldn't expect him to care for a child that was not his own. And marriage: Charlie knew he wanted that commitment and under any other circumstances she would've said yes. But how could she tie him down to a single mum with an unwanted child.

The humming stopped and she lay down against the grass, and easily slipping into meditation. Suddenly, Drey'ac came over the horizon, dragging Ry'ac behind her. She overshadowed Charlie, looking very angry. Sam and Jack stopped their joking and Teal'c put down the bunch of grapes. Charlie opened her eyes, reading a whole series of emotions in the woman's face.

"You teach my son of False Gods. I shall not allow it. You will die here, girl."

"Hang on a second, Drey'ac. What was that?"

Jack came over and helped Charlie to her feet. Drey'ac's eyes were blazing now and she shoved Ry'ac out of the day. He ran to Janet and hid behind her back.

"You serve the False Gods. You carry one of the vile Harseisus spawn in your womb and commune with it. And now you try and convert my son to your evil ways."

Drey'ac struck out at Charlie, and hit her across the face. Jack moved to stop her but Charlie knocked his hand away.

"They are stories, Drey'ac. I don't believe them, and neither does Ry'ac. I serve no False Gods and my child is not vile. And how come you know so much of the kal'ma marien?"

Drey'ac stuttered and Jack and Sam turned to Daniel for a translation.

"It means 'child marriage' Y'know, like the symbiosis thing Teal'c was talking about."

They nodded and watched the woman splutter. Abruptly, she pulled out a Zat-like weapon and shot herself.

"Drey'ac!"

"Mother!"

Teal'c and Janet rushed to Drey'ac's side and Sam bundled Ry'ac up in her arms, unwilling to let him see his mother die.

"Why did you do this, Drey'ac?"

"I...serve...Hathor."

Drey'ac let out one last, shuddering breath and died. Teal'c sat back, thoroughly shocked. Janet felt for a pulse and shook her head. Tuplo ran out and gasped.

"She killed herself, Tuplo . There was nothing we could do."

"I saw it all, Colonel. We will bury the body."

"Wait!"

Charlie knelt down beside Drey'ac and lifted her collar. She pulled out an amulet, engraved with the Eye of Ra. She pulled the necklace gently and it broke. Jack helped her back to her feet, and she gave the amulet to Daniel. signalled to two men and they carried Drey'ac's body away.

Wondering when things got this complicated, Charlie sat back on the grass instinctively laying her hand over her stomach. Janet took Ry'ac from Sam, attempting to comfort the stricken child. Teal'c was sombre and silent, sitting on the grass in such a way as if to protect them all. Jack knelt beside Daniel, as the young man attempted to make the device work. Sam and Charlie joined them, unwilling to concentrate on anything else.

"Well, it's Egyptian."

"I think that much is obvious, Daniel."

Charlie took the amulet and pressed it to her forehead.

"Kal'ma marien...kal'ma marien...kal'ma marien!"

The amulet glowed and the light surged towards Danielle, throwing Charlie into an eerie half-light. Then the glow subsided and the amulet burst open. Charlie gave it back to Daniel, while Jack stared in amazement.

"How did you know?"

Charlie turned to Teal'c with an apologetic look."

"The only way for Drey'ac to know of kal'ma marien is if she performed it herself."

It was Daniel who broke the awkward silence.

"With a Harseisus?"

Teal'c stood up and walked away. Janet held Ry'ac tightly, knowing that Teal'c just wanted to be alone. She sat Ry'ac up and brushed away his tears.

"Could you tell me something, Ry'ac?"

The boy nodded, as everyone else examined the amulet.

"What did your...mother use the necklace for?"

Ry'ac didn't even hesitate.

"To commune with the Love of Ra. Mother served Her for sometime, before She took Son'ak away."

Charlie picked up the last few words and turned around.

"Ry'ac, did your mother have a child here?"

The boy nodded again and Charlie and Janet exchanged looks. They brought Ry'ac into the great 'circle' that had built around the amulet. Everyone looked up and Charlie began to explain.

"The 'Love of Ra' is an ancient reference to Hathor. And I'm guessing Son'ak is a Harseisus, Drey'ac's kal'ma."

Daniel looked over the amulet again, before putting it in his pocket. The matter is closed, apparently, thought Sam.

"Charlie; you up for a bit of story telling?"

"Ya betcha! Come on Ry'ac; I have some stories to tell you."

Charlie led Ry'ac into a sheltered glade of the garden and started to tell him classical fairytales, anything to draw his mind away from the day's events.

Teal'c wandered back into the garden and nobody mentioned the slightly tear-stained cheeks or red eyes.

"What will become of Ry'ac?"

"That was just what we were about to discuss. I don't think it's safe for him here."

"I agree, Daniel. Hathor could come back, and we don't want trouble for Ry'ac or the Untouched."

Jack thought it over carefully while the others discussed it over him. Suddenly, he sat up and clicked his fingers.

"Why don't Janet and Teal'c have him? I mean, he is Teal'c's son and I'm sure Cassie and him will get on just fine, being the only alien kids on the planet."

Teal'c nodded his agreement and Janet just shrugged.

"Count me in."

As if reading their minds, Charlie brought Ry'ac back. Dusk was beginning to fall and they had mere hours before the comets started.

"Hello again. I take it you've reached a decision."

They nodded and Ry'ac sat on Janet's lap, a good omen of things to come.

"Would you mind coming back to Earth with us, Ry'ac? And living with your father and Janet?"

The boy's eyes went as wide as saucers and his whole face lit up.

"You mean it? I can live on the First World?"

Of all the reactions they had expected, that hadn't been one of them. Ry'ac turned around and hugged Janet and the doctor was moved to tears.

"Can I call you Mother, Janet?"

"Sure you can, sweetheart."

~

The Gate started up again, seemingly spinning as slowly as it could. George drummed his fingers impatiently, until the radio signal came through.

"General, there's been a slight...incident. We're all fine, but Drey'ac has...er... committed suicide. We're bringing Ry'ac back with us, sir. O'Neill out."

Silence echoed in the Control Room, as the news sunk in. The wormhole shut down and the General shook his head. Another tragedy? What else can go wrong?

~

It was pitch black outside, and the Untouched had brought round several fur cloaks and homespun clothing for the sharp, biting night. Charlie was feeling sick as a parrot but didn't say anything to Jack, as she knew he would only worry.

"So, you want the grey fur or the brown?"

Jack held up two cloaks, and Charlie saw that one was obviously bigger and intended for Jack.

"I'll take grey. I don't think it would fit you."

Jack grinned.

"Just checking your eyesight."

In the next room, Sam was already in her grey coat and muffler, and Daniel was just putting on his brown fur. Sam did up the catches for him, kissing him passionately.

"Now, that should keep me warm."

Sam grinned and led him onto the lawn, where Janet, Teal'c and Ry'ac were already waiting. Janet was fussing over him as if he was Cassie and Teal'c was smiling again. Jack and Charlie were out next, and everyone pretended they hadn't noticed how much she was leaning on him.

The Untouched were afraid of the comets and would only watch from their windows. However, Jack had been scouting around and led them to a cliff-side. They weaved towards the cliff, a snake-like procession of lights. When they were there, Janet and Sam rolled out the spare furs and blankets and they all sat down. Ry'ac sat on Janet's lap, while Teal'c kneeled behind them, protecting his precious 'family'. Daniel was sitting behind Sam, who was kneeling up but still leaning on her husband's steady shoulder. Jack was straddled on the ground, with Charlie resting between his legs. He wrapped his arms tightly around her and she folded hers on top.

As the first streaks of fire hit the sky, Charlie, Janet and Ry'ac gasped, caught up in the spectacle. SG1 had seen it all before but that didn't diminish the vista in the slightest. Jack leaned down to Charlie.

"You okay?"

"It's so beautiful, " she breathed in wonder.

Jack smiled and turned back, as one swept overhead, leaving a glittering trail of sparks in its wake.

"So, will you marry me?"

"You sure know how to pick your moments."

Jack smiled, as she relaxed into his warm embrace. The last comet flew above them and Charlie turned, the comet's fire glittering in her eyes.

"And, yes; I will marry you."

She leaned in to kiss him and the others turned politely away, except for Ry'ac who just gawped until Janet covered his eyes.

"Why can't I see?"

"Because...you're not old enough."

Ry'ac pouted but didn't struggle until Janet released her grip. Jack was helping Charlie to her feet and caught her on the way up. She stumbled into him and he just smiled. Janet pushed Ry'ac gently up and Teal'c steadied her. Daniel lifted Sam straight into the air and she screamed.

"Daniel! Put me down!"

He swung her into his arms and started to carry her back, as she pounded on his chest.

"Put me down this instant, Daniel Jackson! Colonel; help! Teal'c, Janet; anyone!"

Ry'ac ran over to Sam and tugged on Daniel's sleeve.

"'Scuse me, Daniel. Could you put Sam down, please?"

Daniel smiled at Ry'ac and swung Sam to the ground. She glared at him before shaking Ry'ac's hand.

"Thank you very much, Ry'ac. You saved me from the evil monster."

"Hey! I resent that!"

Daniel came up behind Sam and began to tickle her. She yelled and turned around, fingers diving for him. Soon, they were rolling around on the dewy grass, laughter echoing around the small glen. Then, it began to snow.

"Am I imagining things?"

Janet looked around in disbelief and Charlie gazed in wonder.

"It happens every year, Mother. The snow falls after the fire goes."

"Uh...Jack? Hate to sound naïve here, but what the hell is falling from the sky?"

Everyone turned to Charlie, who promptly blushed.

"Haven't heard of it before, that's all," she said weakly.

There were a few raised eyebrows and Jack looked totally non-plussed.

"Didn't you say you had been to the Himalayas?"

"Yes. But there was nothing like this..."

Oh, they all think I'm cracked! Charlie looked at them all nervously, feeling the powdery white stuff settling in her hair. It was very cold and icy, reminding her of the lace-like webs that had haunted her when soldiers had tracked her in the Himalayas...

~

Sinaya could see no way out. She knew she was surrounded but there was nothing she could do. She had lost everything in a matter of days. Anja was gone and she was being chased by the authorities. Her life had collapsed around her, leaving a fragile, unprotected shadow of herself behind. Then, the dust had come. White and frail, it settled all around, blowing across her face. She had pulled her languid body higher up the precipice and found a small cove, slightly sheltered from the storm. Crawling inside the opening, Sinaya curled up into a ball, wishing she could disappear. Disappear? Slowly, she pulled herself from the rock-face and stood up, her plain brown clothing hanging off her battered body. She stepped slowly forward and peered over the edge, marvelling at the tailored, jagged rocks below.

"Stop!"

A voice called from the blanket, fighting to be heard.

"I can save you. Don't jump!"

Sinaya ignored the voice and started to step over. A hand grabbed her from behind, pulling her into the cushioning dust. She struggled slightly, but he held her tightly.

"Don't fight me! Okay, my name is Daniel. You're going to be okay, you hear me?"

Sinaya had learnt English from an early age and knew the stranger's words easily.

"No, I won't be. Leave me here. Let me die."

"I won't do that. I can give you a new life, you hear? A whole new beginning."

Sinaya gave in to the tempting words, and the man picked her up and carried her back to a vehicle. He laid her in the back and covered her with a blanket. It was warm and comforting inside and Sinaya fell asleep.

~

The numbing chill of the snow on her skin brought back that day in force, making her shiver.

"Okay, I think we should be getting back."

Jack took her hand and practically dragged her back through the snow. About half-way back, Daniel detached her from her lover and pulled her to one side.

"Are you okay, Charlie? Too many memories?"

Charlie looked up at him, wondering how he knew what she was thinking.

"Just a little too real."

Daniel smiled and led her back to Jack.

"I think this one needs carrying. Come to think of it, so does mine."

Daniel dived for Sam, who looked dead on her feet.

"You gonna let me carry you now?"

Sam sighed and let Daniel swing her into his arms. She wrapped her arms around his neck, as Jack did the same to Charlie.

"You've gained a few pounds."

"It's called a child."

Teal'c, uncertain as to what to do with two people to care for, kneeled down for Ry'ac to climb on his back. Janet eyed him sceptically.

"You're gonna hurt your back."

"Jaffa are strong," was his only reply.

Janet shook her head as she climbed into his embrace. The small group were soon back in their rooms, where the men finally put their 'burdens' down.

They all congregated in Jack and Charlie's room, where the exhausted and preoccupied girl had collapsed on her bed.

"Can I sleep through this one?"

"Give me a moment, Chaz."

Jack smiled brightly at her but she only waved her hand weakly.

"Right, we're due back in about an hour but none of us are gonna trek back to the Gate in this storm. I suggest we wait the storm out."

Ry'ac squirmed slightly in Janet's arms and she looked down at him.

"You have something to say, Ry'ac?"

Ry'ac's solemn eyes met Jack's, and the older man felt the sorrow bite him through the boy's piercing eyes.

"O'Neill sir; the snow will not stop for many days now. We would have to wait at least a month, maybe two."

"Two months? That's a long time, Ry'ac!"

The boy nodded and Jack felt deflated. Two moths of constant snow? What a Winter! Charlie pulled herself up, trying to join the conversation.

"Um...in two months, Danielle will be eight months old. And that's only if she keeps growing at the current rate."

Janet suddenly clicked her fingers and dived for her medical case, which was pretty large. She pulled out a piece of film and gave it too Charlie.

"That's the scan I took when we first arrived."

The picture showed a small, curled foetus, head still disproportionately large, and only vague details of the tiny form visible.

"It shows a child during what would normally be the fourteenth to fifteenth week of growth, slightly more than three months. And this is the one I took today."

Janet took out a picture and gasped herself.

"Wait! This isn't possible..."

Sam took the scan off Janet and her eyes widened.

"Janet; that child is twenty weeks old."

"What!"

Daniel's exclamation summed up the reaction perfectly. Charlie lay back on the bed, as the rest of the room buzzed around her. Twenty weeks? I don't believe it! But that must mean...

"So, it's now three times normal. Why'd it go up?"

Janet shrugged.

"It could be the planet, or this could be perfectly normal for a Harseisus. Teal'c; do you know anything?"

The Jaffa solemnly shook his head but Ry'ac cut in.

"Yes, Mother. Son'ak was born after three months in the Land of Light."

Sam and Daniel exchanged looks, before speaking in unison.

"So, it's the planet."

Janet nodded.

"Essentially, yes. Three months is three times faster than normal, and Danielle's growth has only increased while here. When we get her back, it will probably slow down again."

"So, how long?"

Anything involving the Goa'uld freaked Jack, but when the people he loved were involved, things got tenser. He wished he could just get them out of there, anything to give him more time to adjust. It had been eight and a half weeks: eight and a half! But the child was now twenty weeks old; and if they stayed through the storm, the child would be born here. Jack had to get Charlie back. We have to do something!

"I think it's obvious we have to leave now. The snow if pretty deep, but we can get round that. Ry'ac; do the Untouched have sledges?"

The boy nodded and Jack frowned. Half-way there, O'Neill. Don't give up now!

"Right. Daniel and Car...Sam; what exactly did you bring?"

"Um...torches, MREs, Janet's equipment...er...that's about it."

Just my luck. Think, O'Neill, think! But Jack drew a blank.

"Mum; could you build a small motor using Janet's scanner and Teal'c's staff?"

Jack turned as Charlie shifted herself up. Staff! Why didn't I think of that? Sam frowned, calculating what she could do. Then, she smiled.

"It might just work."

"How long, Sam?"

"An hour tops, sir."

Jack smiled with the rest of his team.

"Then get to it, Major!"

Sam saluted.

"Yes sir!"

~

For the next hour, the team worked especially hard. Jack, Teal'c and Ry'ac managed to procure a sledge, partially due to the Untouched's believe that they were totally mad. Janet and Daniel packed up the last of the equipment, as well as preparing some food for the journey. Sam and Charlie worked furiously on the motor but Sam still wasn't quite sure what to do.

"Well, we have a power source and all the components of a motor, but this still won't get us anywhere."

Charlie sat back and thought, running through the possibilities. Suddenly, she clicked her numbing fingers.

" What if we use the principle of a speedboat? Y'know, a propeller?"

Sam grinned and grabbed a couple of primitive wooden swords off the wall, holding them up to admire.

"It might just work."

At that moment, Jack walked in, puffing out mist as he came and rubbing his hands together.

"The sledge is outside. You gals ready?"

"Sam's just adjusting the motor."

Sam's fingers danced across the motor, quickly fixing the 'propeller' in place. She lifted it into the air and walked outside with it, positively beaming with pride. Jack helped Charlie to her feet, taking in the swollen stomach and ankles.

"You're even beginning to look the part."

Charlie scowled at him, as they made their way outside. Jack slipped a grey fur over her, frowning slightly when it wouldn't fit around her waist.
Teal'c was roughly chopping some wood for a 'rudder', while Ry'ac and Janet looked on in amusement as Daniel got himself hopelessly tangled in a vine outside. Sam sighed, and went outside to untangle him.

"Right; who's sitting where?"

Sam and Daniel came back in, looking considerably warmer than when they went out. The sledge was a big affair, about two metres square, with new protective bars around the outside, thanks to Jack's handiwork. Janet quickly lined it with cushions and blankets, trying to make it as cosy as possible. The snow outside was quite deep now and there was no doubt that they were using the sledge. It was currently standing on the top step of the Untouched banquet hall and everything beyond was a snowy wonderland. Jack got in first, through the gate in the side. He sat along the right side, legs straddled, as Charlie got in and sat between them. Daniel was next, pressed against the left side, with Sam between his legs. And Teal'c, Janet and Ry'ac were last, Teal'c and Janet in a similar position to the rest, while Ry'ac sat up front.

"Well, kids; here goes nothing!"

Jack reached for the motor and flicked it on. The sledge shot forward with a roar, everyone clinging on to the sides or their partners. Jack struggled with the rudder, as they quickly neared the wood's edge.

"Everybody duck!"

Heads flew down, as Jack clumsily navigated through the forest. Snow fell from all sides as the wide sledge grazed trees and bushes. Ry'ac kept shouting directions and they just about made it to the Gate. Jack skidded it to a halt a few metres away from the DHD.

"So, who's going to get out first?"

Daniel sighed, and stepped through the gate. He immediately sunk up to his neck.

"Oh, this is just brilliant!"

He clumsily waded through, nearly falling flat on his face several times. Sam broke off one of the swords and threw it to him. He smiled at her and began to unbury the DHD. He quickly dialled up Earth, and the half-buried Stargate gushed out, clearing a path to it, though the sledge was still a good way away from the clear patch. Daniel staggered into the clear field, sending through the GDO signal.

"Teal'c! Use your staff like a paddle. Pull them through!"

The Jaffa nodded and took his almost-useless staff. He plunged it into the snow, and using all his strength, shifted it into the clear patch, where more snow was already falling. Everyone quickly got out, Charlie carried out by Jack. As a group, they marched through the tempting Gate.

~

When SG1's signal code came through, George breathed a sigh of relief. Finally! It had been a few hours since SG1's last transmission and he had been getting worried. The iris slid back and there were several tense minutes, before the sergeant could declare an 'incoming traveller'.

Sam came through first, sliding down the ramp when her snowy shoes hit cold steel.

"Daniel!"

He followed next and landed flat on his stomach, spinning on the ramp and taking Sam down with him. Jack skidded through, completely tripping backwards, head brushing against the event horizon. He shot towards the wall, stopped only by the massive tangle of fur and flesh at the bottom. Teal'c and Charlie stepped through together, and quickly descended downwards. However, their quick reflexes made them grab the railings. And finally, Janet and Ry'ac stepped through, surveying the muddled gate room, as the Stargate shut down.

General Hammond walked into the confusion, wondering why the group he had sent were covered in fur and snow. Jack, Sam and Daniel were untangling themselves, giggling as they went. Teal'c slid steadily down the ramp, using his staff to steady him. SG1's packs had gone flying on landing and the contents were now scattered across the Gate room. Charlie slid down the rest of the ramp, landing in Jack's arms as he stood up.

"Watch your step there."

Daniel got up and promptly fell back down again, jolting his spine hard.

"Ow."

Sam, still laughing, pulled him to his feet. Janet took a cautious step, but lost her footing. She practically flew down the ramp, and ran straight into Daniel, who fell over again. The entire Embarkation and Control rooms had dissolved into laughter, and the SG3 marines were all standing in the Briefing Room, loopy grins plastered over their faces. Ry'ac just stood at the top of the ramp, unsure whether he should come down. Janet noted his discomfort and held her arms wide.

"Come on, Ry'ac. Don't be scared."

He nodded, closed his eyes and stepped forward. He headed straight into Janet's arms and she held him tightly. He opened his eyes and sighed.

The others had already headed for the showers, but Teal'c waited for Janet.

"Make haste, ful'ma. We must de-brief in an hour."

"Ful'ma?"

Teal'c smiled at her, and led his family out of the Gate Room.

~

"So, sir, we felt we should bring Ry'ac back with us."

Teal'c glanced across the table at Janet, catching her eye. She lowered her head and blushed, as Sam took up the tale.

"Well, we still wanted to see the comets, so we stayed for that. It started to snow straight after. We couldn't wait it out because it would've lasted two months, so Charlie and I built a motor, and we attached it to one of the Untouched's sledges. And, as you can see, we're back here. No thanks to Jack's driving!"

Sam gave Jack a large flashing smile and he scowled back. General let the few skipped 'sirs' and rank titles drop, and also chose to 'ignore' the glances certain members of his team were sending each other. Though, he thought, the way they've chosen wouldn't affect regulations at all.

Charlie sat at the table, absently playing with her pen. Jack's words kept fleeting through her mind, and the kiss...

Charlie sighed quietly to herself. She had found someone to love, someone she was going to marry. Sometime in this century, she thought bitterly, When on earth would we have time to get married?

Jack noticed Charlie's distraction and decided now was the time to act.

"Um, sir?"

The General looked up at his distinctly uncomfortable 2IC.

"Yes, Jack?"

"Well, I know I have some leave due and I would kinda like to take it, sir."

Charlie looked up at Jack, eyes taking on a shining quality. He glanced over at her and smiled. George figured he knew what was going on here.

"May I ask why?"

All eyes turned expectantly to Jack, wondering how he was going to explain this. But he just turned back to the General, proud as can be.

"To marry my fiancée, sir."

The General smiled at him, before an idea took form in his mind.

"Well, Jack, I think I speak for all here when I say we would like nothing more. However, we might feel slightly cheated if you don't let us be there. And what better place to hold it then our very own Gate Room."

Jack's eyes widened like saucers, and Charlie gasped. Daniel was grinning like a Cheshire cat, Sam was on Cloud 9, while Janet and Teal'c just thought over how they would break their own news.

"Of course, we should get it done as soon as possible. The less we break regulations the better."

"Regulations, sir?"

Jack gave him a questioning look, along with the rest of the table. Except for Charlie, who shook her head in disbelief, laying a hand on Jack's arm.

"Jack, if the 'no association' order is for a 'Charlene Maybourne' surely it won't apply to 'Charlie O'Neill'?"

He looked at her for a second before nodding his agreement. But Charlie could tell he wasn't concentrating on her words. George, seeing that the Colonel was somewhat incapacitated, carried on.

"So, I suggest that Major Carter and Doctor Jackson take Charlene into town to find suitable attire, while we prepare the Gate Room. If...the couple could arrange other technicalities..."

"Uh, yeah, General Hammond," Charlie answered, distractedly.

Sam smiled, and led Daniel out of the room, Janet following suit. The General shook his head before going towards his office.

"Jack?"

"Yeah Charlie?"

Jack brushed her hair absently out of her eyes, as she continued.

"You do know that Dad can't be your best man, don't you?"

"What? Why?"

That woke him up! thought Charlie.

"Cos he's giving me away! He can't be in two places at once! And, y'know, I don't think we can have the wedding in the Gate Room."

"Why not?"

Jack had lost his dreamy look, in favour of the massive organisation before them.

"Because I want Cassie to be there, and we can't let her near the Stargate."

Jack's eyes widened.

"Oops," he said, quietly.

"Well, the wedding would certainly go off with a bang," Charlie said lightly.

"That's almost as bad as some of mine," Jack said, reproachfully.

"You better believe it. Now, about this best man thing..."

"Teal'c, I guess. And chief bridesmaid..."

"I think Mum can do it. With Janet and Cassie of course. And Louise...?"

"If ya like. Oh, page boy..."

"Ry'ac, stupid! We should really invite Ernest and Katherine."

"How the hell do you know about them?"

Jack was slightly indignant. Who else knew about my firebrand before me?

"Well, Mum and Dad had them round for dinner once or twice. Just before the SGC found out."

Jack rolled his eyes and Charlie slapped him playfully.

"Don't look at me like that! What would you have done if you had found out, huh? Admit it; the only reason I came along on that mission was cos Mum sprang it on you."

"You got me," Jack muttered.

Charlie sat back and crossed her arms, satisfied.

"Thank you. Anyway, back to this..."

"What kind of ceremony? Catholic...Anglican...short as possible?"

Charlie smiled at Jack's nervous humour. He can be real cute sometimes, she thought, sweetly.

"Up to who's doing it. Which is a point actually..."

"The old General?"

"Which one? That reminds me; are we inviting Jacob?"

Sam and Daniel stood in the doorway watching the two spat and argue their way through their wedding plans. Sam decided to intervene before she heard Jack say something unforgivable.

"Are you ready, Charlie?"

They both whirled round, frightened out of their lives.

"Give a guy a heart-attack!"

Daniel sauntered in behind her, absently holding a small leather book entitled 'Wedding Customs and Traditions'. Charlie turned back to Jack.

"General Hammond for the ceremony. I think someone better warn him. And if Jacob's coming..."

"Only if Selmak keeps his mouth shut."

Jack had taken to mumbling recently. It was the only thing that stopped him getting abuse from all sides. Charlie sighed at him and leaned into his shoulder.

"What am I gonna do with you, Colonel Jack?"

"Shoot me and throw away the gun," Jack said, hands raised.

"Isn't that supposed to be...never mind," finished Daniel, past caring about Jack's misuse of the English language.

"I think I'd better contact the Tok'ra, call Katherine et cetera."

"And I'll arrange a car for the town trip."

Sam and Daniel dived out of the room. Charlie kissed Jack on the cheek briefly.

"I'll go tell the General what's going on and to stop the guys decorating the Gate Room. You'd better brief Teal'c on how to be a model best man. See you later."

"Bye Chaz."

She blew him another kiss, before following Sam and Daniel out. She soon reached Daniel's office, where Daniel was talking to Katherine.

"Hello Katherine...it's Daniel...we're all fine...she's good...Katherine; they found out about her...no, nothing bad. Well, not really...anyway, Jack sorta...no, not too many sparks."

Daniel laughed, and Sam came over, teasing him. She looped her arms over his shoulders, pressing her face to his. Charlie almost burst out laughing as Daniel desperately tried to concentrate on the conversation with Katherine.

"Well, they fell in love...yes, it is romantic...they're getting married. That's why I called...okay."

Daniel put his hand over the receiver, and turned to Sam.

"She's just gone to tell Ernest. She's really pleased, Sam."

"So she should be. Charlie and Jack are."

Daniel smiled and removed his hand.

"When? Er..."

Charlie decided to jump in, and snatched the receiver off Daniel.

"Hello Katherine...Um, say four o'clock...yes, I just made it up...we'll call you if it changes...why? Um..."

Daniel glared at her and snatched the phone back.

"Sorry about that. No manners..."

Charlie scowled at him and collapsed in one of the chairs, suddenly becoming very hot. Can't the damn child make up its mind? she thought, angrily, and was rewarded by a solid kick, Okay, I'm sorry, I'm sorry...Having to watch her every thought was becoming a hassle.

She quickly remembered what she was supposed to be doing and reached for the wall phone.

"General Hammond?...it's about the wedding..."

~

Teal'c was deep in meditation when he sensed her come in the room. Immediately, his concentration was broken and he smiled.

"Ful'ma, your step is light."

He opened his eyes and Janet pouted.

"I thought you hadn't noticed."

"How could one fail to notice one of such purity enter a room?"

"Flatterer!"

Janet picked her way through the candles and sat across his lap.

"Apparently, you're best man."

"I am aware of it. Janet."

The steady trill of the phone interrupted them. Janet got up and answered it.

"Hello? Okay, I'm coming..."

~

Charlie got out of the car and slammed the door. Sam and Daniel were already outside the store, as Janet and Cassie pulled up. Cassie practically leapt out of the car and ran over to Charlie, flinging her arms around her, or as far as they would go.

"Hey Charlie! I can't believe you're getting married to Uncle Jack; that is so cool!"

Charlie smiled at her, and ruffled her hair.

"You gonna help me pick a dress?"

Cassie grinned and Charlie laughed, leading her over to the store. They all walked in together and headed for the bridal gowns. Charlie immediately reached for a beautiful emerald dress but Daniel knocked her hand away.

"Married in green, she'll be ashamed to be seen."

Sam rolled her eyes while Charlie just looked put out.

"This is my wedding, remember?"

Daniel shrugged and went to look at tuxedos. Charlie turned to the three women surrounding her.

"Janet, Mum; what colours did you get married in?"

Both women began to look distinctly uncomfortable but Janet did answer.

"Well, it was a pale pink one. Very fashionable."

"Married in pink, and her spirits will sink," Daniel shouted across.

Janet sighed and turned back to the rack, while Charlie switched to Sam.

"Uh...it was white. Simple, formal thing."

"Married in white, she has chosen alright. I think that fitted well," Daniel said.

"You have no modesty, do you?" Sam sighed, in exasperation.

Daniel just flashed her a smile and came back over.

"I would like white, but it isn't very fitting. Y'know, purity...and all."

The group became distinctly silent and uncomfortable and Charlie quickly changed the subject.

"Anyway...um, blue is good. A pale blue."

"Married in blue, her love will be true," Daniel said, his eyes going misty.

Sam jolted him with her elbow and his eyes soon cleared. Charlie smiled at him and he flashed her a quick smile. Charlie turned back to the rack, scanning the dresses. The, she backed off, gently touching her stomach.

"I'm never going to get a size!"

Charlie clapped a hand to her mouth, looking as if she was about to burst into tears. Sam quickly took her arm and ushered her to the assistant. The woman looked very prim, and wore small glasses balanced precariously on her nose, giving the look of a hawk.

"Yes?"

"My daughter needs a wedding dress."

Looking over the pair of them, the woman wrinkled up her nose before signalling towards a rack of dresses.

"These are the dresses for the...pregnant woman."

She said the sentence as if it had a bad flavour. Charlie's eyes hardened, as she moved towards the rack. She looked over the gowns before gasping quietly. She reached out and removed a beautiful, blue dress. It was a full-length, with a white lace hem and cuffs. Along the right side, below the waist, was an array of dark blue flowers, sprawled like a creeper. Sam and Janet nodded their approval, while Cassie clapped her hands in delight. Daniel offered a beaming smile, but the assistant just snorted.

"You do realise that blue was the favoured colour of the Virgin Mary?"

She over-emphasised the word' virgin' so that Charlie couldn't help but notice. Those words crumbled what little remained of her self-control and she lashed out.

"Do you find something the matter? Is there something displeasing you? Because, at the moment, you're coming off as downright rude."

The woman looked at Charlie, as if speaking to a small child.

"My dear, you are the coloured daughter of a white soldier and obviously pregnant before your marriage. I'd say you should just forget it: what's a witness to God worth now?"

Charlie blew a gasket. Her voice shaking with rage, she pointed at the woman.

"How dare you! I was raped, goddammit! You think I asked for this? My fiancé has the good grace to stand by me, when he could turn tail. I think that's worth God's witness, don't you?"

The woman was shocked into complete silence. Charlie moved towards a fitting room, clutching her precious dress. She went in and the stumped woman turned to Sam.

"I am so sorry. I had no idea..."

"Well, next time, think twice. You just ruined her wedding day."

Sam stomped off, as the woman received several angry glares from Janet, Cassie, Daniel and most of the store.

Charlie slipped the dress on, as Sam moved into the cubicle.

"Shall I zip it up?"

"Please."

Sam slid the zip up Charlie's back, as the girl placed the tiara on her head. She turned to Sam, and looked down the dress.

"How do I look?"

Sam shook her head in disbelief.

"Amazing."

She pulled back the curtain, and everyone gaped.

"Wow Charlie!"

"I think a certain Colonel's in for a shock."

"You look great, Aunt Charlie."

Charlie smiled at them all, especially Cassie.

"Aunt Charlie, huh? Stop it; you're making me feel old!"

~

Storage Room 36B had just been renamed 'Wedding Hall', after its miraculous transformation. The Bridal Procession had run off to get changed, while the rest of the SGC had started to congregate in the Wedding Hall. Dress uniform codes had been dropped, seeing as the entire affair was against regulations, and General Hammond wasn't about to tell Jack he had to get married in uniform.

SG8 had recently formed a string band and they were playing soft tunes, as everyone filed in. Katherine and Ernest had turned up at half-past four and Katherine had tried to get the Colonel, unofficially dubbed 'Jack-rabbit', to calm down.

"Cool it, Jack. The wedding's gonna be fine."

Jack gave her a nervous smile and resumed his harried pacing. Katherine shook her head, as the General stood up to tell everyone to take their seats. Jack made his was to the make-shift 'stage' and Teal'c stepped in beside him.

"All will be fine, O'Neill. There is nothing to fear."

Jack side-glanced Teal'c, who offered him a rare smile.

"Thanks Teal'c. I know you're right."

The Jaffa touched Jack's arm and the Colonel smiled. Warrior to warrior, friend to friend. Both finding love after such lives of pain.

The two stood to the right, Jack nearest the 'isle'. Everyone was there, even the technicians. Jacob Carter sat in the front row, positively beaming, while Katherine and Ernest sat a few rows back.

"Teal'c, do you have the rings?" Jack said in blind panic.

"They are here, O'Neill. Do not concern yourself."

Jack nodded curtly, his hands shaking slightly. Teal'c smiled; he had never seen Jack so nervous, not even when facing Apophis in battle.

The General took the podium, and everyone stood down. Jack felt spotlighted, just resisting the urge to duck and cover. He was acutely aware of the looming presence of Teal'c beside him and he was very grateful for it.

He heard the door click open and the band started up the music. Jack turned round, and gasped. Daniel was beaming with pride and Charlie...

The flowing dress fell cleanly off her figure, face highlighted with just enough make-up. She wore a beautiful silver tiara and carried a bouquet of deep blue roses. And she wore blue-tinted crystal slippers. Cinderella, he thought, utterly enchanted.

The train of bridesmaids were dressed in dark blue, carrying posies of cerulean roses that looked as if they were made of pure sapphire. Ry'ac wore a small dark blue suit, complete with rose buttonhole and looked very frightened indeed.

The procession made its way steadily up the isle, enthralling everyone present. Charlie smiled timidly at Jack, sure she could see tears forming in his eyes. They finally reached the front, Daniel breaking off from Charlie. She turned to Sam and handed her the flowers. Sam smiled and touched her arm in reassurance. Charlie nodded slightly, and turned back to the front. Jack's hand found hers and she closed her fingers around his sweaty palm. Teal'c took a step back, leaving Charlie and Jack in the forefront. The congregation sat, and the General began to speak.

"We are gathered here today to witness the marriage of Jonathan Kieran O'Neill to Charlene Sinaya Jackson.
We all know Jack and Charlie, and I feel that they are two of the most dedicated, loving people I know and I can't think of anyone who deserves the love they've found more than they do."

Charlie bit her lip and bowed her head, tears pricking her eyes. Jack squeezed her hand tightly and lightly touched her chin. She looked up at him and they both smiled. The General continued.

"Marriage is a union of the soul, a bond for forever between the hearts of two people who care for each other very much.
And now, as these two people stand on the threshold of marriage, is there any reason why they can't be joined in holy matrimony?"

The door was thrown open, and it slammed back. The entire room turned back, and there was a communal gasp.

"Yes, there is."

Maybourne stood in all his glory, eyes glowering with venom.

"She's my daughter and I forbid this marriage!"

TO BE CONTINUED...

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Demon Faith