Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Precious

by Demon Faith
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Precious

Precious

by Demon Faith

TITLE: Precious
AUTHOR: Demon Faith
EMAIL: rosabeth@hotmail.com
CATEGORY: S/D, J/J, Angst, Drama, Humour (well, it made me laugh!)
SPOILERS: Minor spoilers for: Singularity, Enigma and Within the Serpent's Grasp.
SEASON/SEQUEL: Season 2 or later
RATING: PG-13
CONTENT WARNINGS: Character death (but it's only in a dream!) and a little Sam-whumping
SUMMARY: Sam finds out just how precious Daniel is
DISCLAIMER: Unfortunately, I don't own SG1 but I am keeping Danny to play with! All the songwords belong to somebody-or-other and anything that looks real bad belongs to me. (
AUTHOR'S NOTES: Thought of the title and the rest just came. Feedback is loved, appreciated and greatly desired. I live off feedback, Stargate and Daniel and, if any of them are in short supply, my stories get stranger. (Is that possible?)

This one is for Steph for being a great best mate and a real friend.

Sam sat up and stretched. It was a beautiful morning. Sam hated beautiful mornings. The birds were too loud, the sun was too bright and work was too...cheerful. Grumbling, she got dressed quickly and went into the kitchen. She opened her coffee cupboard, thinking of gorgeous Colombian coffee...

It was empty. Sam had at least 20 different types of coffee in there and now there were none? Sam knew she wouldn't let such a vital resource as coffee run dry. Maybe Daniel had pilfered her cupboard while she was out. That thought was as absurd as the Colonel asking her on a date, despite rumours. Suddenly, the phone rang.

"Carter."

"Hey Sam. Fancy going out tonight?"

Sam dropped the phone.

After letting the Colonel down gently, Sam had almost rung Daniel, but had thought better of it. Just because one thing was strange, didn't mean the world had gone crazy. She pulled into Cheyenne Mountain car park and got signed in. Well, the thought of the world going crazy is a stupid as...Teal'c ballroom dancing with Janet! Satisfied that things couldn't get crazier than that, Sam walked past the infirmary and did a double-take. There was Janet and Teal'c waltzing round the infirmary. Sam fainted.

Sam came to on the corridor floor. She brushed herself off and went into the infirmary. She found Janet crying.

"What's wrong, Janet?"

"Cassie is missing!"

A cold stab of pain dashed through her heart. She was just about to inquire when Jack suddenly ran into the infirmary, red-faced.

"Will you help me find Daniel, Sam? He's missing."

Sam shrugged and went out with him. Daniel missing was usual but Cassie...then an airman appeared.

"Major Carter? I hate to tell you this but...your lab has disappeared!"

Sam turned in surprise. Her lab? How could her lab disappear?"

"Show me."

The airman took her hand and dragged her to her lab. Where the door should be was a gaping hole and she could see Daniel's office on the other side, with the wall missing. It was as if her lab had been simply lifted out of the base. Things just weren't right today. Sam looked at the airman blankly and he just shrugged, leaving her staring at where her lab used to be. Suddenly the base alarm went off. Sam ran to the Gate room, to see Narim standing there, looking very upset.

"Samantha! I am so sorry..."

Sam squeezed her eyes shut, wondering what had possibly gone wrong now.

"Schroedinger is dead."

Sam stamped her foot in frustration. Why was everything disappearing around her? She stormed to her quarters and opened the door. Sam screamed.

Lying on her bed was a corpse.

Daniel's corpse.

"He was killed by a burst from a naquadah reactor."

Sam froze at Janet's words. There was only one person on base who could work the reactor...

"I didn't do it!"

General Hammond ordered her to a cell. Everyone turned away from her in disgust as she was dragged to the brig. She was locked in the cell and she just sat there, wondering. Why were so many things gone? Did they have anything in common? Anything at all...Sam barely had time to look up before a blast struck her and she fell into blackness.

Sam woke to the sound of someone crying. She opened her eyes, to find Daniel, safe and well, staring down at her. She sat up quickly, ignoring her blinding headache, and enveloped him in a hug. Jack breathed a sigh of relief.

"Thought he'd killed you!"

Sam frowned. Who had...suddenly a memory hit her. They had been exploring P3B 457 when Apophis had attacked. He had caught her in the ribbon device, which explained the zany dream she had had. Sam briefly reflected that she could remember every detail. She pulled out of Daniel's embrace and turned to her CO.

"So, where's Apophis?"

"After you were caught, Daniel knocked you free. Apophis was so mad that he high-tailed it back to the Gate, screaming about how your dreams would come true. Who does he thing he is? Your Fairy Godmother?"

Daniel smiled but Sam paled in fear.

"What's up Sam?"

Sam turned to Daniel sadly.

"I think Apophis sent me a message. It was like a dream..."

When she had finished, Jack felt kinda preachy, so he took off.

"Well, Sam, you've got to ask yourself: what do these things represent?"

Sam thought about it for a second but shook her head. Daniel took up the theme.

"Well, let's think of what you lost: your coffee, Cassie, your lab, Schrodinger, me, your freedom and finally, your life. How do those connect?"

Jack smiled. He knew.

"Well, I have a theory. Sam lost what was precious to her."

"Precious?"

"Yeah. And you kinda lost Daniel twice. Does that make him doubly precious?"

Sam glared at Jack and Daniel blushed. Shrugging, Jack helped Sam to her feet and Daniel got up as well. Teal'c arrived by their side.

"You are well, Major Carter. Shall we return?"

"Yeah, why not?

Back on base, Sam was contemplating her dream. Firstly, how had Apophis known what was precious to her? Secondly, was Jack right? True, she had lost Daniel before and that had taken a lot out of her. But was he really that precious? He was her friend, her best friend, in fact, and, sometimes, she even felt like he was a brother. Yes, that made him very precious. And, anyway, it was just a stupid dream. Her lab was not going to be lifted out of the base, Jack would not ask her on a date and Teal'c and Janet would not take up ballroom dancing! So, her dreams weren't going to come true. The odds were against it, but how many times had they defied the odds, especially Daniel? Why must everything come back to Daniel?

With that particular thought still ringing in her head, Sam heard a knock on the door.

"Come in."

Janet opened the door and grinned at Sam.

"You know, I've always wanted to waltz. And Teal'c would make a great partner..."

Sam sighed.

"Who told you?"

"Daniel, actually. He was kinda...curious."

Uh-oh. Daniel was very trusting and he probably thought Jack was being serious. Was he being serious? Did Sam want him to be serious?

"Curious?"

Sam was stalling, Janet could tell. However, she decided to play along.

"About your dream and Jack's 'assessment'. He wondered...whether it was true."

"I honestly don't know, Janet."

Sam stood up and began to pace, waving her hands around.

"I mean, sure he's precious but doubly precious? What the hell is Jack getting at? What does he think; that I'm in love with him?"

Sam stopped, realising her own words. Janet's eyebrows shot up and she tilted her head.

"In love with him? Where'd that come from, Sam?"

"Something Jack mighta said, I suppose."

Sam knew her mumbled words held no conviction and Janet was quick to pick it up.

"I don't think so, Sam. I'll leave you to work it out. Anyway, are you coming?"

"Coming where?"

"Believe it or not, Teal'c has a date with Lieutenant Clarke! Jack and I said we'd help him out and I volunteered you and Daniel to join us. We're going clubbing."

"Cindy Clarke is taking Teal'c clubbing? I've heard it all!"

"It's not a teenage gig. You know the 'Born to Dance' place in Colorado Springs? We're going there. Oh, and Jack made us all promise to dance once."

Sam couldn't quite believe she had been talked into this. Janet had given her an extremely revealing dress to wear and had dressed herself in a very provocative outfit. No doubts as to who she was trying to impress. Sam, however, was going to escape as soon as possible. Dancing just wasn't her thing and she knew she was being set up. They had just pulled up to the 'Born to Dance' club and Sam was feeling nervous. She stepped out and waited for Janet. The petite doctor pushed her through the doors. At a distant table, Jack, Daniel and Teal'c were all sitting, waiting for their 'dates'. Janet abandoned Sam, as Jack stood up and smiled at the doctor, offering his hand. It was incredibly slow music and Sam caught sight of a board: Romance night. Damn it all to hell! Sam turned around to leave, when someone placed a hand on her shoulder. She turned sharply, adopting a defensive position. Daniel backed off, hands raised, looking quite startled.

"Sorry, Daniel."

"No sweat. I just thought we should get this 'one dance' thing over with. Unless you'd prefer Jack?"

Daniel held his breath, dreading her response. Her face broke into a smile and she took his hand, guiding him to the dance floor. He placed his hand gently on her waist and took her other hand. Sam leaned against Daniel and he was quite shocked. The band struck up a slow love song and they began to sway to the music.

Wise men say:
Only fools jump in;
But I can't help falling in love with you.

Take my hand,
Take my whole life too;
But I can't help falling in love with you.

Teal'c observed the couples silently. Sam and Daniel weren't even aware of the room around them and Jack and Janet looked completely oblivious to anything but each other. Teal'c thought Lieutenant Clarke had arranged this particularly well. She had asked his opinion and he had said it would be an excellent idea. She had chosen the 'Born to Dance' club on Romance night and then realised she didn't have a partner herself. She had asked Teal'c straightaway, and the Jaffa was greatly honoured. But she was late. Teal'c suspected he had been 'stood up', when suddenly she burst through the doors. Teal'c eyes widened in surprise. She looked beautiful. She pulled Teal'c to his feet and they started to dance. Teal'c soon forget the room as well.

Jack hadn't felt this good in years. Janet's head was resting on his chest and his arms were firmly attached to her waist. When the music faded, they stepped slowly away and made their way back to the table, where Teal'c and Cindy were already waiting. Jack looked around for Sam and Daniel. They had gone! Jack raised an eyebrow but Janet seemed very angry.

"They've escaped us! Oh damn!"

At the end of the song, Sam and Daniel ran as fast as they could. They crashed against Daniel's car, laughing.

"They're gonna kill us!"

"Who cares?"

They got into the car and Daniel started driving. They were outside his apartment block before they realised what was happening. They both got out and eyed the ominous door. Daniel swiped his card and they both went in and up to his apartment. There, they crashed on the sofa. They just sat there for a few minutes, in silence.

Sam wondered what had made her act like such a teenager. Daniel smiled at her and then went into the kitchen. Sam followed him to the door and grinned when she saw the coffee-pot in his hands. She watched his body sway to the radio music he had just switched hand. She closed her eyes and listened to the tune.

I call you up whenever things go wrong,
You're always there, you are my shoulder to cry on,
I can't believe it took me quite so long,
To take the forbidden step,
This is something that I can't forget.

Sam smiled to herself. She opened her eyes and continued to watch the man in front of her. Acting almost on impulse, she started forward and draped herself over his back.

Come on, come on;
Nothing ventured, nothing gained;
You are the one,
The lonely heart that can't be tamed.

Daniel turned around, to look at Sam. She leaned forward and kissed him passionately on the lips.

I thought that we would just be friends,
Things will never be the same again,
It's just the beginning, it's not the end,
Things will never be the same again.
It's not a secret anymore,
Now we've opened up the door,
Starting tonight and from now on,
Things will never be the same again.

THE END

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Demon Faith