Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Ultimatum

by Demon Faith
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Ultimatum

Ultimatum

by Beth

TITLE: Ultimatum
AUTHOR: Beth
EMAIL: rosabeth@hotmail.com
CATEGORY: romance, Sam/Daniel, m/f
SPOILERS: Prisoners, Need and Thor's Chariot are helpful, but not necessary
SEASON / SEQUEL: Somewhere after 100 days
RATING: PG
CONTENT WARNINGS: mild injury, nothing graphic
SUMMARY: Something's wrong with Daniel and Sam has to figure it out, with added complications!
STATUS: Completed
DISCLAIMER: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. We have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the authors. Not to be archived without permission of the authors.
AUTHOR'S NOTES: Dedicated to Steph, who helps me with my ideas and to Showtime/Viacom for creating a fantastic show! (NB. Apologies to Michael Shanks and Amanda Tapping if they wouldn't be caught dead doing this!)

"And Heru'er came down from the heavens and...Damn! I can't do this!"

Sam looked up from her work and smiled.

"Keep trying, Daniel. You'll get it."

"Yeah."

And he started wandering round the room again, mumbling some Ancient Egyptian under his breath. Sam tried to focus on her probe. It was so hard to concentrate when Daniel was around her. She got a buzz inside her and she just couldn't do anything but watch him, listen to him talking, look deep into his eyes... Snap out of it, Sam, she thought to herself and, shaking her head, went back to the probe. She had to improve the probe's scanning and the launcher needed a bit more speed. She fiddled with some circuitry and the launcher started to hum. It shook gently and then began to smoke. Daniel hadn't even looked up from his book. Sam stepped away from the launcher and watched in horror as it prepared for launch. Daniel was still drifting around, so deep in thought that the launcher didn't even register.

"Daniel!"

The probe launched and headed straight for the briefing room window. And Daniel was standing right in front of it. He looked up at the last possible second and the probe hit him, and took him straight through the glass. As it neared the Stargate, it lost propulsion and shut down. Daniel spiralled towards the floor and landed with a sickening thud. Sam ran down the stairs, calling for a medic as she passed the dialling room. She ran through the Gate room door, her only thoughts for Daniel. She crashed to the floor beside him, searching for a pulse. Strong and steady. She breathed a sigh of relief as his eyes opened and he stared up at her. She felt her buzz and had to suppress it, as he leaned on her to get up.

"Wow! Some wild ride."

"Are you sure you're alright?"

"Yeah fine."

Sam put her arm round him as they climbed back up to the briefing room.

~

"SG1, you're next assignment is on a totally unexplored planet..."

The General's voice faded in her mind as she stared at Daniel. He looked ill. Maybe that fall had affected him. He had only had the briefest of medical examinations, as he wanted to complete his translations. Typical Daniel, work-obsessed. She smiled to herself, dreamily. Then she woke up. Daniel was swaying. Ever so slightly, he was swaying, eyes closed. He was going to fall.

"Daniel!"

She stood up and ran round the table. Jack and Teal'c were on their feet in seconds, rushing round to Daniel and Sam. General Hammond stared at them all as if they were mad.

"SG1, what's the meaning of this?"

Just before Sam reached him, Daniel fell out of his chair, totally unconscious. Sam called to him but he just lay there. Jack and Teal'c hovered over them, anxious and concerned. General Hammond had finally caught on and phoned Janet. She arrived in no time, with her medics and a stretcher, muttering about "stubborn archaeologists" and "foolish risk-takers".

Sam just stared after them as they carried him down. Jack came up behind her and laid a comforting hand across her shoulder. Sam brushed him aside and ran to her lab.

~

Janet was very puzzled. Sam and her had been working for hours on what could have caused it. Her guess was the fall but there was no evidence. Sam thought it was a side-effect of some Gourld weapon but again there was nothing to support her theory. All she could do was watch as Daniel slept peacefully, unaware that he could soon die.

~

"Well, it's strange."

Teal'c and Jack stood in the Gate room, waiting for clearance. Janet needed a history of what SG1 had done recently that could have caused this, because even she knew that not everything got written down. Sam was going to stay behind. She said that she knew each world the best. She was probably right but Jack knew her other reasons and he was jealous. Daniel was his friend but he couldn't help the evil anger that he felt whenever he saw them together.

"Chevron 7 locked!"

The blue wave rushed out and what was left of SG1 prepared to disembark.

"Well, here goes!"

Teal'c lifted a puzzled eyebrow but Jack just pulled him through.

~

"Well, it's bright!"

Jack didn't know why he said that. Teal'c wouldn't appreciate his humour and he would just have to explain it later. He shrugged it off and went to look around. It was a dull grey place, barely enough light to avoid bumping into walls. Then a painfully bright light shone down from the ceiling. Jack yelped and even Teal'c screamed. And they were gone.

~

"Major Carter, SG1 are three hours overdue."

Sam bit her lip and shifted. Damn, she felt guilty. She should have been there and if they were dead... no don't think that! She had to stay with Daniel. But you didn't have to. Sam hated her conscience sometimes. Jack seemed to just get rid of his on command and Daniel showed his in practically everything he did. But then Daniel was like that, so open, so caring. Damn, why couldn't she stop thinking about him!

"Do you want me to go after them?"

Sam could see the General pondering his options. He was just about to answer when the alarm sounded. They ran to the dialling room. The wormhole opened and an alien stepped through. He had Jack by the throat.

~

"Release my people!"

Sure, George, that'll work! Jack felt so useless. He could see Sam at the window, staring through at him. It almost got rid of the pain.

"I will not. I require Daniel Jackson."

Daniel! What did super alien want with an archaeologist, especially Daniel?

"Doctor Jackson? I'm afraid we can't do that."

"Very well."

The alien tapped some device on his arm, which opened the wormhole! He pulled Jack and himself back through.

~

Sam was torn between the two. Jack was her CO but Daniel was her... What was Daniel to her? Just then, Janet walked in.

"He's awake."

Sam ran for the infirmary, without waiting for dismissal. She realised her mistake about halfway there, but brushed it aside. She skidded into the infirmary to see Daniel sitting up and eating some kind of sandwich. He looked up as she came in.

"Sam!"

She smiled as he said her name and sat down beside him. He put his sandwich down and leaned towards her. She was now really buzzing and was desperately trying to hide it.

"What was the alarm about?"

His voice brought her back and, without thinking, she began to tell him.

"You remember that mission? No, you passed out. Oh well, Jack and Teal'c went on it and got caught. The aliens who are holding them want to swap them both for you..."

She stopped as realisation filled her. Oh, what had she done! She could see his reaction and had to get out of there.

"Sam wait!"

She was gone.

~

Oh no! Jack and Teal'c being held for him? He had to go. I mean, what use was he really? Jack just found him annoying, Sam would never feel for him what he felt for her and Teal'c was just...Teal'c. He quickly got dressed and left the infirmary. It was round about time for the shift to end. He got to the dialling room in time to catch no one there. He dialled the address easily; he had been awake for that part. He ran to the Gate room as the alarm rang. He locked the door as he ran for the Stargate. He saw Sam pressed against the dialling room glass and he looked up at her. He could swear she was crying. He stepped through the Gate.

~

Oh Daniel, why did you come! Jack stared at Daniel as he bravely stepped out of the Gate. The aliens were waiting. Teal'c and him were pushed towards the Gate almost instantly.

"Give my love to Sam."

Jack swallowed those words inside him, hoping it wouldn't come to that, the point of no return.

"No, you can't do this!"

His protests fell on death ears. He saw Daniel get knocked out as he stepped through the Gate.

~

"Incoming traveller!"

"It's SG1!"

Sam stared at the Gate, as Jack and Teal'c were thrown out. A medical team was already down there and took them to the infirmary. General Hammond could sense her despair and spoke softly to her.

"We'll get him back, Major."

~

"How could you let him?"

Sam was about to cry as Jack shouted at her.

"He was your friend too and you let him sacrifice himself!"

Sam was filled with self-loathing and actually began to cry.

"Colonel O'Neill, I will not have you upsetting Sam! It was not her fault and I suggest you take out your anger on someone else!"

Janet came to Sam's rescue and led her away. Jack felt guilty now. Janet was right; it wasn't Sam's fault. He was blaming himself and had needed to take it out on someone.

"Now SG1, I think I've found out what was wrong with Daniel. When he fell out of the briefing room a piece of glass struck his head. It's affecting his states of conscious and if we can't get to him, he may fall into a coma."

They all tried to take this in, Sam still crying a little. Then the alarm went again. They all looked up and Jack, Teal'c and Sam ran out of the infirmary and straight to the dialling room. The Gate was opening.

"SG1 signal code."

General Hammond looked back and saw all of SG1 behind him!

"Who is it?"

"Daniel!"

Jack, Teal'c and Sam all said at once, waiting in anticipation. The Gate finally opened. It was several seconds before anything happened. Someone was rolled out of the Gate. Sam could see who it was. She flung herself against the glass.

"No!"

Jack and Teal'c were standing there, their eyes wet. A metal ball flew out after him and began to speak!

"We have extracted Doctor Jackson's knowledge. He is now yours."

Then it exploded. All power to the Gate room was cut out.

"We can't open the doors!"

The cry from downstairs was desperate. Daniel was much loved at the SGC and his friends were worried. Sam just had to get to him and she ran upstairs. The briefing room glass hadn't been replaced and Sam climbed through. Jack had seen her leave and had followed her.

"Sam!"

But she was already out, using her jacket as a rope to lower her down. Jack looked after her, in worry. Sam scaled down past the dialling room, amidst the worried shouts from the on-duty team.

"Major Carter, what are you doing?"

Sam jumped the last few feet and ran for Daniel. She lifted his weary head into her lap and looked into his eyes. He was alive.

"He's still with us, General."

Daniel licked his lips and began to speak.

"So...this is...how it ends?"

Sam placed a gentle finger on his lips.

"No, don't talk like that. You'll be all right. We'll get through this."

His eyes flickered dangerously and he appeared to lose touch.

"No, you can't die! SG1 need you, I need you. Don't die."

Her voice was a whisper now, quiet, intimate. Daniel opened his eyes and Sam pulled off his broken glasses to see his eyes.

"Sam, I...love you."

Sam broke down and openly cried over him.

"Oh Daniel, why now?"

Finally, power was restored and the doors opened. Medics rushed in from all sides, as did several soldiers, including Jack and Teal'c. Sam clung to Daniel's hand as he was pulled away from her. Jack tried to hug her, but she pulled away. She knew he needed her comfort but she needed time alone. Seeing Daniel like this, hearing his words brought up the most heart-wrenching guilt and despair. She ran for the door.

~

"Sam?"

Sam looked up, her eyes swollen and red. It was Janet, a friend who she could trust.

"Oh Janet, he told me he loved me!"

Janet stood stock-still and stared at Sam in sympathy. She sat down beside her and Sam leaned onto her.

"What am I to do?"

"I don't know, Sam. But he...hasn't got long."

Sam cried again.

"You can see him but he is unconscious. Although, I think he can hear what we say."

Sam sat up defiantly, and went to wash her eyes. She wouldn't see Daniel like this. She knew he couldn't see her, but she wanted to appear brave.

"I'm ready, Janet."

Janet smiled.

"Come on then."

~

Sam walked past Jack and Teal'c outside the infirmary without a word. She walked slowly through the door. She went over to him. She looked at his pale lifeless face and almost cried again. But she kept up her blockade and sat down to talk to him.

"Hey Daniel. Well, you haven't...missed much. We're waiting for you to get better Daniel, and you are going to get better, do you hear me? You're going to be fine. Fine."

Sam couldn't take it anymore and she leaned onto him. A medic reached to stop her but Janet held her back.

"Oh Daniel, don't leave me now!"

"Please don't cry."

Daniel spoke in a low gentle voice and Sam just cried over him even more.

"I love you, Daniel," she whispered.

Daniel smiled and weakly lifted his hand to stroke her hair. Janet was going to cry soon as well.

~

"Do you remember the prison camp? When Daniel picked a fight and actually won?"

Jack and Teal'c were going through all their memories of Daniel. Some good, some bad, all memorable.

"I remember when we believed Daniel Jackson was dead. We held a memorial service and cleared his apartment."

"You know," Jack sad softly, "I don't want to hear that right now."

The infirmary door slid open and Jack straightened up. Sam slipped out, her eyes red and her cheeks wet. She sat down beside Jack.

"You're next, Teal'c."

Teal'c stood up slowly and walked through the door, closing it gently behind him.

"Sam, do you remember the planet we visited last week? And Daniel..."

Sam suddenly stood up.

"Of course!"

She ran down the corridor and was gone. Jack sat back in his chair, alone with his memories.

~

Janet leaned over to her medic.

"Go and find Major Carter. I don't think he'll...survive much longer."

The medic nodded solemnly and turned to leave. Hurry Sam, thought Janet, please hurry!

~

Sam fumbled with Daniel's key. Come on! The lock finally clicked and she charged into his apartment. The place was cluttered with old artefacts. For some reason, she headed for his bookcase. Absently, she picked up one of his journals. It was labelled "Samaria". She flicked a few pages until she saw her name.

I could see Sam on the other side, and Gerwin in the middle. I slowly stepped onto the beam and stepped across, trying to think of reaching Sam and not of the drop below me. I reached Gerwin but as she tried to stand the rock crumbled. I saw Sam's face as I fell. What did I see there? Friendship? Or more? I guess I'll never know.

Sam smiled. Guess you were wrong, Daniel. Then she pulled herself together. What was she doing? Daniel was dying and she was getting lost in herself. She ran for his desk. She bent down and felt underneath the ridge for the soft panel. She found it and pushed it. Slowly a section of the desk slid, sending Daniel's papers flying.

"Sorry Daniel," she muttered.

She peered into the hole and saw what she was looking for. A thin red crystal, threaded with deep blue fissures. Sam grabbed it and then stopped again. She had realised this was his secret compartment but hadn't really paid much attention. Then she saw a photo. It was of her, with him at her birthday party. She smiled. They both looked a little drunk but they were standing next to each other and Daniel had his arm around her shoulder and she was keeping it there. She was guessing this was Teal'c's experiment with a camera and it was pretty good. Then Jack caught her eye. He was staring at them, across the room, eyes narrowed and a deep frown on his forehead. It was then that Sam realised their relationships. It was all revealed to her in this photo. It was amazing what alcohol could do! And Teal'c, the alien, had captured it all on camera. Sam jumped. What did she think she was doing? This may all be very fascinating but Daniel was dying! She dropped the photo and ran for the door.

~

Janet was panicking now. Sam would never forgive herself if she missed Daniel's last moments. Janet had deduced that all that was threatening him was the piece of glass. She didn't have time to call a neuro-surgeon and then there was the risk of damage. She couldn't expect General Hammond or herself to make that kind of decision. Then Sam burst in, her eyes shining in joy.

"I have the answer, Janet!"

Janet stared at her in disbelief as she handed her the crystal.

"Daniel kept it from a mission. He was afraid to show Jack so he hid it away. It's a sarcophagus crystal. It's what the Gourld use in their sarcophagi. I think if we put it against his head, it will cure him."

Janet looked at her in disbelief. Sam had figured it all out herself and now had the cure. She was momentarily humbled by Sam's dedication but shook it aside as she moved to her patient. She took a deep breath, and then placed the crystal over the piece of glass's location. The crystal started to hum and began to heat up. It was glowing now and Sam was observing in wonder, totally mesmerised. The crystal pushed itself away from Daniel as the piece of glass was drawn out. It fell to the floor and smashed. The crystal was still working. The wound disappeared but the crystal kept humming.

"Pull it away!"

Sam tugged at Janet's arm and she dropped the crystal, and it broke.

"Why did you do that?"

"Narcotic affects. Remember the princess?"

"Oh!"

Janet grabbed a medic to sweep up and then shook her head, sleepily.

"Sam?"

Sam looked at Daniel and saw him try to sit up.

"What happened?"

She ran to him and hugged him for all she was worth. Janet was standing beside the door watching. Jack walked in, eyes wide, Teal'c right behind him. Then he smiled. Those two deserved it. He would have to accept it and move on. Jack leaned against the wall and sighed. True love!

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

So what do you think? Please e-mail me with your comments!

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Beth