Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Natural Thing, A

by Demon Faith
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
A Natural Thing

A Natural Thing

by Demon Faith

TITLE: A Natural Thing
AUTHOR: Demon Faith
EMAIL: rosabeth@hotmail.com
CATEGORY: Sam/Daniel, 1st person POV, Thoughts
SPOILERS: None
SEASON/SEQUEL: This is the letter from 'Real Nightmares' and the events after.
RATING: PG-13
CONTENT WARNINGS: Major character death
SUMMARY: Death's a natural thing ...
DISCLAIMER: Ok, I took them, but they did what they did without my consent ...
AUTHOR'S NOTES: My first death fic. A sort of message that happy endings don't always work. Strangely, I came up with it while doing my French homework. Make of that what you will ...

This was originally a stand-alone fic, but it has become connected to 'Real Nightmares'., which was the sequel to 'Just Dreaming'. This completes the 'Deadly Dreaming' trilogy.

Death's a natural thing.

Funny, that. My only thought as my beloved Daniel lays dying in my arms, life force slowly ebbing away. We both knew there was no escape, that the inevitable was coming.

It's over. His hand is slack in mine and the colour has left his gentle face. I'm lost for a moment, staring at the empty shell that used to be Daniel; my comfort, my joy, my love.

I promised never to forget him; he told me to let go. Said I shouldn't make promises I couldn't keep. We laughed then, trying to forget where he was going. Where we're all going.

The last few minutes were silent. I rocked him gently, humming to myself - The Lord is my Shepherd. A funeral hymn; how appropriate.

Then, he just left. The lifeless form before me isn't him; he's gone to somewhere better. And one day I'll join him. Perhaps soon ...

Solid, grey metal: my gun. How easy to pull the trigger, be with the one man I truly loved.

Farewell my friends; when you read this, I'll be long gone.

You see, death's a natural thing. I'm just giving it a push.

Jack crumpled the paper in his hand, shaking beyond his control. He gazed sorrowfully at the blood-stained carpet, as they lay there, united in silent ruin.

Jack was shattered.

They had dreamed of the future, they had endured the nightmare - but they could not survive love.

Nature was cruel indeed; for life was the fantasy, and only death could show you dawn.

A broken man. The couple who had seen the dawn. All but a natural thing.

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Demon Faith