Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Potato Salad

by Demon Faith
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Potato Salad

Potato Salad

by Demon Faith

TITLE: Potato Salad
AUTHOR: Demon Faith
CATEGORY: Thoughts, Sam POV
PAIRINGS: (possible) Sam/Daniel
SPOILERS: None
SEASON/SEQUEL: Anywhen
RATING: G
CONTENT WARNINGS: A little weirdness
SUMMARY: Life is like a bowl of potato salad...
DISCLAIMER: I own the potato salad...
AUTHOR'S NOTES: 'Love is not a potato - you cannot throw it out the window' Apparently, that is a Russian Proverb. Blame it for this fic.

Potato salad is a funny thing.

Every bowl seems so similar, but each potato salad is uniquely different, individual.

Think about potato salad - it is amazing what you can see...

Chunky, soft potato - the fabric of the universe. What makes us laugh, what makes us cry, the people, the memories; potato is these things. Solid, constant...there will always be potato. Potato is everything that matters.

Onion; sharp, biting...all the bad things. The evil that eats at you, haunts you, wakes you in the middle of the night just to let you know it's there, always. Spring onion, the bad things - all part of potato salad.

And then, the dressing - smothers the potato and the onion, binds it all together, keeps the universe stable, another constant - love. Love can make it all fade away, mask the onion's bite, make the potato seem dull and bland without it. Dressing makes potato salad - without it, potato and onion are the be-all and end-all, matter and evil without anything to separate them and cushion you from their harsh reality. Love matters, but is not a potato - that would be too simple.

I like potato salad.

Every time I eat some, I leave one potato piece on my plate, untouched, remaining. People may think me rude, but I need that piece of potato to stay - to remind me, potato salad lives on, when we are alone, when we are hurting - there is always the potato salad.

Daniel laughs when I make potato salad; he says I put my heart and soul into it, making it a part of me. In a way, he's right.

Because, inside each one of us, there's a bowl of potato salad.

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Demon Faith