Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Web of Deceit: Part 1

by Demon Faith
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Web of Deceit: Part 1

Web of Deceit: Part 1

by Demon Faith

TITLE: Web of Deceit: Part 1
AUTHOR: Demon Faith
EMAIL: rosabeth@hotmail.com
CATEGORY: Angst, Drama, Hurt/Comfort
SPOILERS: Minor spoilers for: Fire and Water, Legacy and Foothold.
SEASON/SEQUEL: This is the sequel to 'Baggage Check'. Set in Season 3, between Legacy and Shades of Grey.
RATING: PG
CONTENT WARNINGS: Sam-whumping, language, implications
SUMMARY: Why does the SGC have a new psychiatrist?
STATUS: Complete, but a TBC. Is that a contradiction?
DISCLAIMER: They aren't mine? Wow, I'm shocked! Well then, they belong to whomever they belong too, though I must say I have a very effective team of clones. But I did borrow Mackenzie; you really think I'd own him?
AUTHOR'S NOTES: When Stephali challenged me to write a piece without Sam/Daniel, I never thought I would write a sequel. Well, I have. I've challenged myself on this one: Sam/Daniel allusions ONLY. So, don't expect any romance, only one evil psychiatrist. I wasn't planning much when I wrote this, but somehow it has evolved and now I have to make it a TBC! Sorry about that!!!! This and the sequel is just a way of venting anger at extremely villainous characters.
I absolutely hate Mackenzie, especially after 'Legacy'. This is pay-back!

"Guess what I heard this morning"

"What?"

Bits of toast flew everywhere and Sam pushed her chair away from the table.

"That is disgusting, sir."

"What?"

Jack turned to each disgusted face; blissfully unaware of the mess he was making.

"Mind if we eat someplace else, Daniel?"

"Not at all. Teal'c?"

"I will join you, Daniel Jackson."

"Hey!"

Jack swallowed down his last piece of toast and followed them.

"So, what did you hear?"

SG1 sat down at another table in the canteen, ignoring the looks they were attracting. Usually, Sam ate with Janet because of the attention eating with the guys caused her. There were rumours flying everywhere and Sam liked her decisions to be based on fact, not fiction.

"Yeah, what's the gos, Daniel?"

Suddenly, he became uncomfortable, as if rethinking what he had to say. Sam put a hand on his shoulder, studying his face carefully. He certainly looked upset.

"Um...well...it's Mackenzie."

The rest of SG1 exchanged knowing looks. Everytime Janet had mentioned that Mackenzie was visiting, Daniel had found a convenient excuse to get away, usually with SG1 not far behind. No one liked the psychiatrist, especially after the incident with Daniel's supposed schizophrenia and the evaluation where Sam was forced to 'murder' Daniel, just to get out.

"What about him, Daniel?"

"Well, he's under investigation."

Jack's eyebrows shot up and Sam's eyes widened.

"Under investigation? For what?"

"Professional misconduct, involving schizophrenic patients."

Daniel could obviously stand no more, as tears choked his voice. He got up and ran from the canteen, earning him some startled looks, especially when Sam ran after him. Jack looked at Teal'c uncomfortably.

"Poor kid. As if he hasn't been through enough."

"Do you believe Mackenzie is guilty?"

"For Daniel's sake, I hope not."

~

"Daniel?"

Sam called cautiously into the locker room, hearing the muffled sobs coming from the sinks. She popped her head round and smiled sympathetically. Daniel was leaning against the wall, head down and cheeks streaming with tears. He looked up and tried to smile. Sam walked forward and wrapped him in her arms. He cried there for some time and she just made soothing circles across his back, hoping it wasn't too bad. Finally, he broke away and walked into the main locker room, sitting down on one of the benches. Sam sat beside him and laid a comforting hand on his arm.

"Daniel, you have to talk to me. I can't help you if you don't tell me what's wrong."

"What kind of professional misconduct, Sam? False diagnosis? Too many drugs? Well, those two would make sense. But, what else could've happened? Oh god, Sam! If he..."

"Don't think that Daniel!"

Sam practically shouted that sentence, making Daniel lift his head in surprise. Sam took a deep breath, figuring it was too late to turn back now.

"It probably wasn't. If it was, he would've been arrested. And he hasn't been, has he? Has he?"

"No, Sam, he hasn't."

"There you are then. Now come on, we have a briefing to get to."

"Thanks Sam."

"What for?"

Daniel smiled and Sam helped him up.

"You're an idiot, y'know that?"

"Gee thanks, Sam."

"Anytime, Daniel."

~

"Due to circumstances beyond our control, the SGC has been assigned a new psychiatrist."

Daniel shifted uncomfortably and Sam glanced at him, worriedly. He smiled back and she turned back, unwilling to embarrass him during a briefing. However, the General hadn't missed the exchange.

"Something wrong, Major?"

"Kinda, sir. Why has Mackenzie been replaced?"

"He's under investigation. And considering the fact that most members of the SGC skip examination anyway, I thought we needed a new one."

Even Daniel smiled. Following SG1's lead, SG2 and SG3 had missed all their appointments and now SG9 had picked up on the act. From then on, anyone attending a psychological evaluation, unless forced, was considered pretty stupid.

"Could I ask what for?"

"You most certainly could, Major, but I couldn't give you an answer."

"Thank you, sir."

"Well, back to the issue at hand. The new psychiatrist wants to evaluate everyone for base notes, and just in case, Dr Mackenzie's notes aren't reliable. And seeing as SG1 started the current trend I thought one of you could volunteer."

Everyone shifted nervously. Daniel definitely wouldn't go, Jack didn't trust any doctor, bar Janet once he'd got to know her, and it was common knowledge that Teal'c thought Earth's psychological practices were anything but kind.

So, that left Sam.

"I'll volunteer, sir."

Daniel looked at Sam worriedly but she just smiled.

"Don't worry Daniel, I'll be fine. Does this psychiatrist have a name, sir?"

"Dr Clarke. And, Doctor Jackson? He comes with the highest recommendation."

Sam smiled at the General. The rumours hadn't escaped him either. Sam turned to leave and she heard Daniel mutter:

"That's what you said last time."

~

Sam strode down the corridor, humming to herself. Once she had got this evaluation over with, she would have the rest of the day free. Daniel and her were planning a study night and she had got in loads of pizza and coffee. It would be fun and would hopefully take Daniel's mind off Mackenzie's investigation. Sam stopped outside the psychiatrist's office, ironically called 'Room 101'. Sam smiled and knocked. The door opened and she stepped in, momentarily surprised at the dark. Then she remembered the stupid flashing light Mackenzie had used when she was under hypnosis when they had thought Daniel was dead. She waited for the psychiatrist to speak but nothing happened. She groped for a light switch but couldn't find one.

"Hello? Doctor Clarke?"

Silence followed, punctuated by a loud crack. Sam's eyes rolled into her head and she slid to the floor.

~

Jack sauntered along the corridor, not wanting to be early for his appointment. He had run into Ferretti earlier and had enjoyed the young man's shocked expression when he had told him that he was actually going to see the psychiatrist. Jack smiled in memory and knocked on the door to 'Room 101'. Jack shook his head in amazement. What kind of idiot called a psychiatrist's office 'Room 101'? Sighing, he knocked again. Still no answer. He tried the door and found it unlocked. He flipped the light switch and gasped.

Before him was a corpse.

~

"Doctor Clarke."

"What? The psychiatrist?"

"Yes, Colonel. Why?"

"Oh no! Have you seen Sam?"

Janet's eyebrows raised slightly. Sam? That was a new one. The rumour mill was still buzzing with 'Sam/Jack' and she couldn't wait to add the latest development.

"No. Why?"

"'Cause she was supposed to see him two hours ago. And if he's dead..."

Oh shit, oh shit, oh shit! Janet bit her lip and reached for her phone.

"Hello? Yes General, it's Doctor Frasier. I need someone to find Major Carter. What, sir? She what? But sir, I've got Doctor Clarke in the morgue. Yes, suspicious death, sir. What do we do sir? Okay then."

Jack was even more alert now. That was not a happy phone call.

"What the hell is going on?"

"Major Carter left the building one hour ago with Doctor Clarke."

"But you said..."

"Which means it wasn't Doctor Clarke. She's been kidnapped, sir."

Jack slammed his fist on the table, sending instruments flying. Daniel burst in just as Jack took a swing at the medicine cabinet. Daniel quickly grabbed his fist and Jack calmed down.

"Are you okay, Jack?"

"Sam's been kidnapped, Daniel."

All colour drained from Daniel's face and he slid down the wall.

"No..." he whispered.

Janet stood beside him, stopping him falling.

"It's okay, Daniel, it's okay..."

He shrugged her off and pulled himself up. He handed Janet a note.

"I thought it was a joke..."

Janet began to read the letter:

"Daniel Jackson, It is unfortunate that Doctor Frasier saved you. I needed you dead. But it is of no consequence now. Samantha is mine and no one shall take her. Don't come looking for us or she will die."

Jack snatched the paper from Janet.

"It isn't signed."

Daniel looked like he was about to faint and Jack gripped Daniel's shoulders, to steady him. The young man had begun to shake now and the tremors were increasing with every moment.

"Who do you think could have sent it, Colonel? Do you..."

"Mackenzie..."

Daniel's whisper was deafening as silence filled the infirmary.

"How do you know, Daniel?"

Janet was very concerned for Daniel now. She guided him towards a chair, which he practically collapsed in.

"S...s...sounds like him. F...Ferretti thought he had a c...c...crush on Sam. And he h...hates me..."

Tears began to cloud his words as the heartache became too much. Janet and Jack exchanged looks and Jack patted Daniel's back in comfort.

"Okay, Danny, it's alright now. We'll get her back."

~

General Hammond was speechless, a rare occasion to be sure. He listened in silent horror as Jack and Janet relayed Sam's disappearance, the letter and Daniel's 'breakdown' in detail.

"What does he mean about Dr Jackson dying?"

Janet gave him a weak smile.

"SG1 were stuck in a psychological evaluation, so Sam pretended to kill Daniel so they could get out. Mackenzie must've thought it was real."

"Hell, I thought it was real!" Jack mumbled.

~

Daniel sat alone, wondering. He stared forlornly at the place where Sam usually sat, where her coffee mug still stood half-full and at the carved Stargate that now decorated most of Daniel's desk. Daniel brushed his fingers over the point of origin, the symbol Sam had insisted she do by herself. It was a perfect match, and the rest of the Gate paled in comparison.

Suddenly, the phone rang. Absently, Daniel picked it up.

"Hello? Dr Jackson speaking."

"Listen carefully, Dr Jackson. You, and you alone, will come to the deserted warehouse on 34th street in Colorado Springs. Be there within one hour or she dies."

A scream echoed in the background and Daniel clutched the phone tightly to his ear. Sam...

"Let me speak to her!"

The scream faded and a shaky voice started to speak.

"Daniel?"

"Sam! Hang on, I'm coming..."

"No! You can't risk your life for me Daniel. Stay away..."

The phone was snatched away and another scream echoed through the line.

Daniel's eyes closed as tears began to trickle down his cheeks. There was a loud thud before Mackenzie began to speak again.

"One hour, Dr Jackson."

The line went dead. Daniel gently replaced the handset, grabbed his coat and fled to the surface.

~

Jack had looked everywhere, yet there was no sign of Daniel. Puzzled, he went in to the Control Room.

"...absolutely nowhere, General."

"Guards saw he left ten minutes ago. Seemed in a terrible hurry, doctor.

"He had a phone call just before that, sir."

Jack ran to the source to the conversation. General Hammond and Janet looked at him, worriedly. Jack didn't like it one bit.

"Where's Daniel?"

~

Daniel pulled up to the warehouse. It looked even creepier than usual in the fading light. He switched off the engine and stopped to gather his thoughts. His main concern was keeping Sam alive but they needed to escape as well. Hehad five minutes to spare. Without a second thought, he dialled Jack's mobile and, unsurprisingly, got the voicemail. He left a short message before getting out of the car and nervously entered the warehouse door. It was pitch black except for a tiny torchlight in the corner. Daniel stepped forward slowly and was grabbed by four strong arms. Mackenzie's voice came from straight ahead.

"I think we'll take this meeting somewhere else, Dr Jackson."

A bag was swept over Daniel's head and he was dragged somewhere. He was thrown into what he guessed was a van and a door slammed behind him. His transport began to jerk along and Daniel shook his head at what a fool he'd been.

~

Jack cursed Daniel to high hell. Why did he have to play hero and get himself into deep shit at the same time? As he sat in General Hammond's office, he fiddled with his mobile. A message came up, tagged to Daniel's number. He stood up and began to listen. The general frowned but Jack silenced him.

Jack, Mackenzie has got Sam. I'm at the warehouse on 34th street. Please hurry!

Jack wordlessly passed the phone to the general who listened to the message.

"What are we waiting for?"

~

The rocking vehicle finally stopped and someone dragged Daniel out of the van and onto grass! Where was he? He was dragged and bumped into a building and dumped somewhere. There was the sound of a key grinding in a lock.

"Keep back, bitch!"

"Don't worry, she's out of it. I think Macky wacked her a bit too hard!"

They laughed but Daniel tensed. What had they done to Sam? He was pulled to his feet and pushed into the cell, as the pulled off the bag. As he got his balance, he saw Sam. She was stretched across the back off the cell, bruised and bloodied. He rushed to her and pulled her gently into his arms, with her head leaning across his shoulder. She stirred slightly and Daniel closed his eyes in thanks.

"Daniel?"

"Yeah Sam. I'm here now."

"You shouldn't have come..."

Sam tried to pull herself off him but couldn't quite muster the strength.

"Stay still, Sam. You're injured. Let yourself heal."

Sam stopped struggling and leaned back against Daniel, who cradled her gently. Slowly, she fell asleep. Daniel watched over her, swearing he would kill that bastard when he got him.

~

Jack and Teal'c pulled up in Jack's jeep, followed by SG2 and SG3 in Ferretti's and Makepeace's cars. It was dark now but Jack wouldn't wait when his team was in danger. Jack slammed the jeep's door, his mind filling with images of just what he would do to that slime ball, Mackenzie. They lined up beside the warehouse doors. They were all in civvies because Jack had just grabbed the teams as they had walked on base. Jack motioned to follow him, as he slipped in, drawing his revolver. The general wouldn't allow anything bigger on planet but Jack was sure ten strong men carrying revolvers would be enough. He stepped into the dark warehouse cautiously. Torches clicked on behind him and swept the bottom floor over. They illuminated a single piece of paper on the opposite wall. Being extremely careful, Jack moved towards the paper. When he could finally read it, curses ripped forth.

"Dammit!"

I told him to come alone. Looks like you're too late.

~

Daniel looked up as the door grated open. Sam was still asleep and Daniel carefully laid her on the floor, trying to leave her out of it.

"You're not taking her."

"Actually, I was looking for you, Dr Jackson."

Daniel looked up, shocked to the core.

"Maybourne!"

TO BE CONTINUED...

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Demon Faith