Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Titanic Impact

by Demon Faith
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Titanic Impact

Titanic Impact

by Demon Faith

TITLE: Titanic Impact
AUTHOR: Demon Faith
EMAIL: rosabeth@hotmail.com
CATEGORY: Crossover, Sam/Daniel, Angst, Drama
SPOILERS: Major spoilers for Titanic and a few minor I'm sure
SEASON / SEQUEL: Nothing specific, but about mid-Season 4
RATING: PG-13 (The film was a 12, so *shrug*)
CONTENT WARNINGS: Well, death, disaster, ice, nudity and sexual situations. Well, have you seen Titanic?
SUMMARY: Sam and Daniel watch 'Titanic', then become part of it...
STATUS: Complete
ARCHIVE: Heliopolis
DISCLAIMER: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. We have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the authors. Not to be archived without permission of the authors.
AUTHOR'S NOTES: I watched Titanic Christmas Day, and had to write about it. And, most mentions of 'Jack' are about Leo, not RDA. Oh, by the way, any S/J people who might be reading this, go and watch Cold Lazarus before continuing your shipperdom! Jack and Sarah forever!

"That was a lovely film last night."

"Yeah, Carter, if you're into mush."

"Jack! I agree with Sam; it was beautiful."

Jack rolled his eyes and strode in front of them. Sam and Daniel glanced at each other and smiled. They had all met at Sam's last night, much to the excitement of Sam's motherly neighbour. Sam had rented 'Titanic' and they had all sat down to watch it. Teal'c had been utterly fascinated, while Jack had just made his typical sarcastic comments all the way through, while covertly watching exactly what Sam and Daniel were doing on the sofa. He had been watching them closely of late, and there was definitely something going on. And last night had satisfied his curiosity. Jack had deliberately guided Teal'c to an armchair and taken one himself, so that they ended up on the sofa. And, gradually, as the film progressed, they had slid closer and closer together, until, at the end, Sam was cosily wrapped up in Daniel's arms. Jack hadn't said anything, and had stopped any and all comments from Teal'c with his classical 'ah'.

Now, Sam and Daniel were walking slowly down the corridor, desperately trying to keep the 'mandatory' distance between them. There had been a change last night, they could both feel it, but to act on it, or even acknowledge it, would be a 'breach of regulations'. How Sam was beginning to hate the military! So, Daniel and her kept their distance, hoping that the feeling would gradually fade, though, deep down, they both knew it had been there from the beginning.

"So, you liked the film, Daniel?"

"Yeah, it was good. I don't think Jack liked it though."

Sam laughed out loud at that, attracting some rather odd looks from airman they passed. Daniel smiled as well, looking at the woman he could never have.

~

Jack stood at the base of the ramp, looking at the rippling mass of the Gate. And knew that, right behind him, stood probably the two cleverest people on the planet, two geniuses which had 'disappeared' from the public eye almost altogether. Everyone knew about Daniel's 'exile', his shunned theories, which were the most accurate of them all, and his intelligence in general. Not many people knew that Sam Carter had suffered similar ridicule at college for theories of actually creating wormholes, but she had wisely shut up. Now, she had found her own theories to be correct, and couldn't tell anyone, except her best friend, who already knew. Sam and Daniel were virtually stuck together most of the time, bouncing theories off each other, patiently trying to understand. Jack had caught both of them in each other's bookcases, looking for something to help them understand. Now, they understood, understood that they could never be, and Jack had never seen such false smiles in all his life.

"Okay, team; time to move out."

Jack strode forward, instinctively knowing Daniel and Sam to be on his right, and Teal'c to be on his left. He waited for them at the event horizon and they all stepped through together.

The Gate was quite cold this trip, and they came out covered in frost. Still, they took up defensive positions quickly, even Daniel; then, Jack waved them down.

"Okay, Carter and Daniel, take the left...corridor and Teal'c and I'll go right. Okay?"

It was then that they actually began to take in their surroundings. It looked like a manor house, deserted and cobwebbed, but definitely reminiscent of English mansions. Daniel gazed around in wonder, while Sam took some things from the MALP, which looked decidedly out of place. They moved out silently, Sam and Daniel taking the left corridor as ordered. They moved slowly down it, taking in the grandeur of it all. Suddenly, a picture fell off the wall and Daniel pulled Sam back, bringing them both crashing to the floor.

"Sam! You okay?"

"Yeah, Daniel. Thanks!"

Daniel helped her gently to her feet, accidentally swinging her into him. They stood there for agonising seconds before Sam pulled back, licking her lips.

"We should...go on."

Daniel nodded slowly and they continued down the corridor. Then, Daniel saw something at the end of the dead-end corridor. He ran towards it, Sam soon after him. He just managed to stop, and he stared at it, gasping in awe. Sam reached there as well, and her eyes widened. She reached out to touch the clock face, and Daniel's hand went to her shoulder.

"It's just like the one from Titanic..."

Suddenly, the ground began to shake and the hands of the clock spun backwards, faster and faster until they blurred together. Daniel held on tightly to Sam, as something began to happen...

~

Everything faded, and was replaced by...

"Oh my God! The entrance to first class!"

They stood at the top of the great sweeping staircase, looking down on the bustling dining room below. Sam looked down, and found her fatigues gone, replaced by an early 20th century gown. Daniel now wore an old-fashioned tuxedo, and they both stared at each other long and hard.

"What the hell just happened?"

Sam shushed Daniel and continued to look around.

"Daniel, if I'm right, we have been transported back to the original Titanic, almost ninety years ago. Quickly, we've got to know the day!"

Daniel nodded, and quickly moved over to a young lady standing by the staircase.

"Excuse me, madam," he said, with an aristocratic air, "I have lost track of the days somewhat. Pray tell, what is the date?"

The young woman smiled at him, instantly captivated by the Daniel charm. Sam wanted to walk over and slap her.

"Why sir, it is April 14th."

"Thank you, miss."

Daniel bowed to her and moved back over to Sam, much to the woman's chagrin.

"Okay, April 14th. And the time is..."

Sam glanced at the clock behind her and almost screamed.

"9.30. Daniel, Titanic's gonna hit that iceberg in two hours! We have to warn them..."

"Sam, no!"

Daniel grabbed her arm and he fairly dragged her to a quiet spot.

"Sam, we can't change the course of history. Titanic is going to sink, and we're going to be on it."

"But, Daniel, all those deaths..."

"Sam! Remember the grandfather theory? If these people don't die, we could all never exist in the future! Then, where will Earth be?"

Sam nodded slowly, tears in her eyes. Then, she looked up.

"But Daniel, if we're on this ship, we're going to die too!"

"Not if we got off it."

Sam dragged him further along the corridor, having found a key in her pocket. She found the right door, opened it and dragged him in.

"Daniel, you know there weren't enough lifeboats. Women and children off first, you'll never survive!"

"Rose did," he said, stubbornly.

"Daniel! That was a film. This is reality and we're stuck in it! We have to tell them..."

Sam was practically shouting at him now, tears coursing down her cheeks.

"Tell them what? That they're going to hit an iceberg? That their unsinkable ship will go under? What are they going to say to us, Sam? They'll probably label us insane and lock us up, then we'll certainly drown! Think about it; what can we do?"

Sam looked at him with pleading eyes, knowing what he said was true, but not wanting to believe it. She sat down on the soft bed, gently wiping her eyes on a nearby tissue. Daniel sat beside her, putting an arm around her shoulder and pulling her to him.

"It's okay, Sam, don't worry. Come on, we have two hours until that iceberg hits. What we gonna do?"

Sam turned to him, seeing the sincere friendship in his eyes that she knew and loved. More than she should. She reached up to touch his face gently, smiling at him.

"Why don't we take a tip from Jack and Rose?"

Daniel cocked his head slightly, puzzled. Sam leaned in closely, whispering in his ear:

"Can you draw, Daniel?"

~

Daniel couldn't believe they were doing this. Incidentally, his mother had been an artist and had insisted she teach Danny everything she knew. He quickly found some charcoal pencils and some paper, as if they had been specifically left there. Sam walked in, wearing a deep blue dressing gown. Daniel instantly blushed and she smiled.

"You ready?"

"As I'll ever be, Sam."

Sam nodded and held up a heavy necklace.

"Look what I found."

Daniel raised an eyebrow, as she quickly put it on. Then, he sat down before the couch, as she dropped the gown. Daniel's eyes widened considerably and Sam lay herself on the couch, positioning herself as a stuttering Daniel directed her.

Then, Daniel began his drawing, savouring the sense of unreality in the air. Sam watched his handsome face crease in thought, trying to keep herself as still as possible. She couldn't quite believe this was happening, that she was posing for Daniel on the doomed Titanic.

It took Daniel just over an hour to finish the picture, and Sam replaced her gown and came to look at it.

"Wow. You're good."

Daniel looked up at her and smiled.

"Yeah well."

He put the picture away, and felt Sam's hand on his shoulder.

"But, are you as professional as Jack?"

Daniel turned to her, horror and excitement flooding him at her brazen suggestions. He took her face gently and kissed her passionately, before pulling away.

"I guess I'm not."

~

In the freezing North Atlantic, two people were extremely hot indeed. Sam melted into Daniel, pure pleasure casting out any moral doubts or thoughts of the pending disaster.

They were both sleeping soundly when the shudder came. They were both instantly awake, reality calling to them. They hurriedly got dressed, Daniel helping Sam with her corset. By the time they were ready, the call to get lifebelts was issued.

"Okay, Sam, get it on. We have more of a chance this way."

She nodded as he pulled it on her, before tying on his own. They moved to the bottom of the great staircase, almost at the place where this great adventure had started. The people didn't seem overly concerned, but Sam and Daniel were taut with fear and apprehension.

"Ladies and Gentlemen, we have received news that Titanic has struck an iceberg. We suggest you get to the lifeboats as soon as possible, women and children first."

For these 'educated' people, there was such a panic. They all surged forward, almost crushing Sam and Daniel against the banister. They joined the flow, holding each others hands firmly.

"Sam, you have to get to a boat. No hesitations, right?"

"But, Daniel..."

"Sam! There's a good chance I'm not going to get out of here, but you have to. You hear me?"

Sam didn't know how to answer.

~

Up on deck, it was utter chaos. Sailors and waiters rushing everywhere, trying to keep people calm, and the little band of musicians playing some symphony or another. Daniel hurried Sam along, trying to get her to a lifeboat. He knew he had little or no hope of survival but Sam could get off, Sam could live through this.

"Now, remember, you're a well brought up little English girl..."

"And you're an American artist with an attitude?"

Daniel chose not to answer. He got Sam near a boat and the sailor looked at him sympathetically, and helped Sam onto the boat.

"Look after her, sailor."

The man nodded and Daniel, backed off, tears in his eyes. Sam looked up out at him, shaking her head.

"I don't want to leave, you!"

"Samantha, you have to go. It's your best chance. Don't worry, don't even think about it. I love you."

Sam's eyes widened and she couldn't speak for precious seconds, not quite believing what she'd heard.

"I love you too, Daniel."

He nodded to her, and the boat began its jerked descent. And Sam looked up at the man she would probably never see again.

~

Time seemed to slow completely, as the boat was lowered nearer the ocean. Suddenly, Sam couldn't leave. You jump, I jump. Immortal words. Sam needed to get back to him. She saw the promenade approaching and knew what she had to do. Summoning that Air Force training, she jumped out of the boat and grabbed the rail, precariously hanging over the rail with no one to save her. She held on tightly, wondering why she had jumped in the first place.

"Sam!"

Ah, there's the reason. Daniel appeared above her, strong arms taking hers and pulling her over. She fell over the edge and straight into his arms, as he sat, dazed, on the floor. He hugged her tightly, and she hugged him back.

"I'm not going to leave you, Daniel. Never."

"Then, we get off together."

Sam looked up at him and did what she had wanted to do for a long time. She kissed him.

Daniel kissed her back, again forgetting where and who he was. Suddenly, the boat lurched and brought him back to reality.

"Sam! We don't have time! We're on a sinking boat!"

Sam woke up then, and pulled him to his feet.

"Okay then, what the hell are we going to do?"

"If Jack were here..."

Suddenly, Sam clicked her fingers and dragged Daniel off.

"Sam, where are we going?"

"I know a way out!"

~

"The clock?"

Sam smiled proudly up at it, while Daniel just looked confused.

"Yes, the clock."

"And, this will help how?"

Daniel held up his hands in confusion and Sam grabbed one of them and kissed it. "Don't you see? The clock got us here, it can get us back!"

Daniel's eyes cleared, understanding at once. Then, he looked back at the clock.

"So, what we going to do? Ask it?"

Sam looked back at the clock, studying it, when Daniel realised the water was already lapping the bottom of the staircase.

"Uh, Sam? The water's rising fast. We have to get out of here soon."

"I know, I know! Okay, what happened last time? Um..."

"I've got it!"

Daniel's eyes were shining, as he grabbed Sam's shoulders.

"Okay, you touched the clock face, I put my hand on your shoulder and the hands started to spin."

"So, we do it again? Okay...oh no!"

Sam looked up at the clock, and saw that the glass cover on this clock was still intact. Daniel quickly saw the problem and dived for the flooded dining room.

"Daniel! Come back! What the hell are you doing?"

Daniel waded through the water that was halfway up his chest. He saw what he needed, but it was underwater now. He suddenly dived under, searching blindly for the object, trying not to cut himself.

"Daniel!"

Sam was screaming now, wondering what on earth he was doing. After several second, he still wasn't up and Sam began to fear the worst. He couldn't die, not now, not now they'd come so far! Sam hoped and prayed by the still water. Come on, Daniel, where are you?

Suddenly, he came up through the water, clutching on to something that was stained in blood. He swam over, grimacing as he did. Sam pulled him out of the water and he dropped the knife. His hand was a mess of cuts, with one huge gash across the fingers.

"Daniel! What have you done?"

Daniel struggled to his feet, and Sam picked up the knife and followed.

"Smash the glass with it."

Sam nodded and smashed the glass, as Daniel cradled his injured hand. Sam tried to look at it, but then saw the tidal wave suddenly surging through the dining hall.

"Sam! Hurry!"

Sam placed her hand to the clock face and felt Daniel step right close to her, hand on her shoulder.

"Nothings happening!"

"Okay, we must've said something. Think, Sam! What did you say?"

Sam started to panic, but the words suddenly snapped to her brain.

"It's just like the one from Titanic!"

Daniel tried to keep a level head, as the water lapped around his waist, freezing him up.

"Right, so we need to go to the other clock. Say 'It looks like the one from the planet'."

"Right..."

The water was up to their necks by now, and Sam touched the face and said the words slowly and carefully.

"It looks just like the one from the planet!"

Daniel grabbed hold of Sam tightly, as the hands slowly started to turn.

"We're not going to get out in time!"

"Okay, breathe in NOW!"

Sam closed her eyes and breathed in, as the water came over their heads.

~

Jack was beginning to lose interest in rows of endless paintings. However, he knew they needed to give Sam and Daniel some time to sort themselves out. Teal'c was utterly fascinated by the art and architecture, and Jack was contented to feign interest for a while.

"O'Neill, this is a rare antique. I believe you call it Ming."

Jack turned at that, and went straight to the vase. He held it up to the light and blanched.

"Okay, this place is like something straight out of 19th century England."

(((Actually, 20th)))

Jack whirled round and gasped. A pearly, translucent being floated towards him, whirling round the pair of them.

"Who the hell are you?"

The young girl smiled and indicated her ripped, bloodied clothing.

(((I'm a soul from Titanic. We ended up in this house after the ship went down. The unsinkable Titanic! We are here to insure our remembrance)))

Jack wasn't quite sure what to make of this. Souls? From Titanic?

"Well, you're certainly remembered. They made a film about it just the other year. Oh, film...um, moving photograph."

The ghost smiled and raised her arms in salutation.

(((Remembrance! Than, we must see to your friends...)))

The ghost drifted off down the corridor and Jack and Teal'c ran after her.

~

Sam woke up in a pool of water, back in the manor house corridor. She spluttered a little before sitting up and moving over to Daniel.

"Daniel? Daniel! Wake up!"

She shook him and he stirred, groaning loudly.

"I hate stupid water!"

They stood up, suddenly realising they were still in their 'old' clothing. Sam's hair, she had suddenly realised, was actually tied up in a bun. She pulled it out gently and a soaked golden sheet fell from her hand.

"Wow, Sam. That's beautiful!"

Daniel stared at her, still cradling his cut hand. Sam took it in hers, ripped part of her underskirt and wrapped it up carefully, apologising when he winced.

"Carter! Daniel! Just what do you think you're doing!"

Jack and Teal'c strode up to them, surveying the freezing, wet and decidedly early 20th century couple before them. Sam immediately flared.

"Excuse me, sir, but Daniel and I nearly sank with the Titanic! That's what we've been doing for the past two hours."

Jack's eyes widened, taking in the pair properly for the first time. Sam was stuffed into a long, flowing dress with a long sheet of flowing golden hair trailing down her back. Daniel wore a blood-splattered tuxedo, and they were both soaked and shivering. Daniel quickly frowned at Jack, pulled his pack off and rummaged for a blanket. He found one and quickly wrapped it around Sam's shoulders.

"You okay? Not catching a cold I hope!"

Sam shook her head, still shaking, and Daniel crushed her in his arms, while Jack looked on in utter astonishment. Teal'c just raised an eyebrow, while the spirit knowingly smiled.

(((Now, you must remember the Titanic, so we can rest in peace. Can it be done?)))

Sam and Daniel turned to her, not reacting at all to the fact she was...well, a ghost, and nodded as one. The ghost nodded contentedly and vanished as quickly as she had arrived. Jack walked over to the shivering couple, wondering how he was going to explain this to the General.

"Well, this looks like an eventful mission. Mind telling me what happened?"

Daniel turned to Sam, smiled and shook his head.

"Oh, not much. How about I tell you later?"

Jack knew how to take a hint. Grabbing Teal'c by the arm, he tugged the Jaffa along, calling back to them.

"In your own time!"

Daniel and Sam laughed, the first sign of happiness from either in the last few hours. They turned to each other, suddenly uncomfortable.

"Do you want to...forget it?"

Sam shook her head slowly, taking Daniel's chin in her hand.

"No, I want to remember it forever. Kiss me, Daniel."

And he was only too happy to oblige.

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Demon Faith