Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

When You Wish Upon a Star

by Demon Faith
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
When you wish upon a star

When you wish upon a star

by Demon Faith

TITLE: When you wish upon a star
AUTHOR: Demon Faith
EMAIL: rosabeth@hotmail.com
CATEGORY: Sam/Daniel, Adventure, Gourld! m/f
SPOILERS: Hathor, Need, and a general knowledge!
SEASON / SEQUEL: After Season 3 sometime
RATING: PG
CONTENT WARNINGS: romance, near death, nothing heavy!
SUMMARY: SG1 meet another Gourld, whos the daughter of their deadliest enemy...
STATUS: Completed
DISCLAIMER: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. We have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the authors. Not to be archived without permission of the authors.
AUTHOR'S NOTES: I know Sam and Daniel won't get together but we can always hope!

"Ow!"

"I am sorry, O'Neill."

Jack plucked the fishing hook out of his shirt and handed it back to Teal'c. Rubbing his shoulder, he sighed. Maybe SG1 just weren't cut out for fishing. Sam and Daniel were much happier discussing the latest naquadah results and Teal'c could barely tell the bait from the fish! He also had no idea how to hold the rod. His various attempt's had left Jack feeling like a sponge and he would definitely need a new shirt. Teal'c had finally settled for just dropping the hook in the water. Sometimes Jack just couldn't believe that these guys were his team. Two weird scientists (granted, one could shoot) and an alien! How did he land such an assignment? Sighing yet again, Jack told Teal'c to pack up. The Jaffa raised an eyebrow but got up quickly enough. They started trudging back to where they had left the picnic. Jack was almost glad to be getting back. Mental Note: never take this lot anywhere! As they neared the picnic spot, Jack stopped short and drew in a breath. Sam was sitting on the blanket looking up at the sky. Daniel had his head in her lap, stretched out on the grass, also looking at the sky. Jack moved a little closer, and could see Sam's fingers entwined in Danny's hair and his glasses, lying discarded on the blanket. Jack could also hear their conversation...

~

"That one looks like Ra."

"I wouldn't know."

Daniel was totally relaxed with her. He had felt her fingers in her hair and it had sent shivers up his spine. They had been like this for some time, staring up at the clouds, seeing what shapes they could find.

"How about that one?" said Sam.

Daniel considered it and then laughed.

"Jack!"

Sam laughed as well.

"Just what I was thinking!"

"Having fun?"

Daniel jumped up like a shot, Sam with him. The almost stood to attention, facing their CO and a very puzzled Teal'c.

"Um...we were...looking at the clouds!"

Daniel finally managed to stutter. Sam was still looking at the floor; her face getting more flushed by the minute. Jack had a really mixed expression on his face that Daniel just couldn't figure out. Correction: couldn't be bothered to figure out.

"Well, guys. Time to get going!"

~

Sam and Daniel didn't say a word on the way home. Jack had been feeling jealous and had just totally embarrassed them. Now he was feeling a little guilty. What if this damaged the team? Oh damn you Jack! What about friendship? Jack's conscience had been bothering him a lot recently. Daniel and his "let's be friends with the universe!" attitude could have quite an effect.

"Are you guys okay back there?"

Jack had intentionally placed those two together to see if it would just work out. Unfortunately, it hadn't. Jack sighed again, and went back to concentrating on driving.

~

"SG1, you're cleared for departure."

"Come on kids!"

Jack charged up the ramp and through the event horizon, Teal'c right behind him. Daniel gestured for Sam to go before him, but she just pushed him through. Her touch was magic! Danny Jackson, control your thoughts! They arrived on the other side, no problems. It was a rocky cave. The MALP had crashed straight into the wall and was pretty much useless. Sam grabbed a few components and then moved on. Daniel admired her figure and then caught himself. What was he thinking? Daniel mentally slapped himself and then charged after Sam. Teal's was walking around, on guard. He could never figure out Major Carter and Daniel Jackson. He was also having trouble with Colonel O'Neill's reaction and was completely confused. But he had shrugged it off and continued with his duty. Jack was getting annoyed. Sam and Daniel had wandered off again, in search of some mystery to solve.

"Jack!"

Jack and Teal'c ran towards the sound. Sam and Daniel were standing beside a stone. Daniel was reaching out to touch it.

"Daniel!"

Too late. A greyish light was shining out and the whole cave began to shake. Daniel brought his hand away and the roof collapsed.

"No!"

Sam and Teal'c had backed against the other wall but Jack had tried to grab Daniel. The rocks tumbled but eventually the dust cleared. Somehow, Jack and Daniel had become separated. Sam was torn between the two until she saw Jack groan and then sit up. She instantly rushed to the pile of rocks that had to be Daniel. She tugged at the stones, silently praying that he would be okay. She glanced backward to see Teal'c looking at Jack's arm which he was holding at an odd angle. Sam pushed aside the last few rocks and pulled Daniel to her. His eyes were open but he was weak.

"Sam..."

He choked and then fell back against her, his body lifeless. Sam began to cry. Hot tears streamed down her cheeks and she hugged him close. Jack walked over and placed a hand on her shoulder.

"We're trapped."

Then Sam began to look around. The rocks were all around, encircling them. Sam knew they had to get out but her arms refused to let go of Daniel. Gently, Jack prised him from her grip, bringing a fresh wave of tears to her eyes. Then came the light.

~

Colonel Jack O'Neill, distinguished member of the USAF and hero of the SGC, woke up with a splitting headache.

"Carter!"

A lonely figure, curled up against the wall, lifted her head. Her eyes were red and her blond hair hung in stringy clumps.

"Sir?"

"You are awake, O'Neill."

Teal'c had been keeping watch on the door, the all-too-familiar door of a Gourld ship.

"Oh, not again!"

The door slid open, giving them no chance to move. A Jaffa stepped out and began to speak.

"You are prisoners of the almighty goddess Kina. She has taken the Destroyed One to be healed. You, enemies of her parentage, will be tortured for your information."

"Nice welcome," muttered Jack.

"The Destroyed One?"

Carter had stood up and was looking right at the Jaffa.

"The one who was dead."

Jack saw her close her eyes in thanks. The Jaffa then signalled to some awaiting guards. They marched in, grabbing them roughly and pushing them out of the door.

~

"Kneel."

Here we go again! Another bossy Gourld with no manners! Jack and the others were forced down. Kina was certainly the most striking goddess he had yet to meet. She was nothing like the other Gourld: she didn't have that dragged-straight-out-of-a-history-book appearance and she was also definitely not from Egypt. Her long blonde hair rippled down her back and her beautiful brown eyes glowed almost gently. Oh my God! What was he thinking? True, she was wearing the most revealing dress that could be dreamt up and didn't look particularly Gourld-ish but, all the same, she was a Gourld. And they were just simple Tauri, unworthy of her... Wow! Jack suddenly had a horrible feeling that this was another Hathor type. Uh oh! Sam may be tough but she wouldn't cope if the guys went all "drunk" on her. Then Jack noticed the rather large sarcophagus sitting in the middle of the room. It was sliding open!

~

Daniel leapt out of the sarcophagus.

"Who put me in there?"

He was angry. They should know it was dangerous to even let him near the sarcophagus after what had happened on Shyla's planet. He still shuddered at the thought of being addicted, losing control. It had happened way too many times and it wasn't going to happen again. Then he noticed the Jaffa and a Gourld woman. An extremely beautiful Gourld woman. Not another! Some Jaffa were closing in on him. Then he saw the others. Kneeling before the Gourld by force and unable to stand against her. Daniel figured the "peace be with you" speech wasn't going to get him anywhere this time. Not that it ever really did. He charged at the Jaffa and knocked a couple over. He tried for a Zat but something stopped him. The Gourld woman stood over him, her palm outstretched. Daniel screamed.

~

Sam fought back frustrated tears, watching in fury as Daniel was forced down, the ribbon device messing with his mind. But it didn't stop. She was going to kill him! Sam couldn't stand it any longer. She collected all her anger into one massive burst. She pushed off her Jaffa captors and then skilfully avoided the staff weapon blasts. One forced her to somersault and she did so, only just missing the shot. She hit Kina mid-flight, knocking her onto the floor. Daniel fell over as well, gasping. Jack had been watching all this and it had stirred him as well. Almost at the same time, Jack and Teal'c ditched their Jaffa and grabbed a couple of Zats. But Sam was oblivious to the fight. She stared down at Daniel, speaking in a loving whisper. He looked up at her, in pain. Sam felt utterly useless. She couldn't help him with this. All she could do was watch him suffer. She brushed his hair from his eyes, his wide, blue eyes.

"Tauri scum!"

Kina struck Sam down and her head hit the floor. A Jaffa dragged her off by her hair, but Sam was unconscious.

~

No! They had taken Sam and Daniel was being dragged off as well. In the few moments he had taken to notice this, the Jaffa had got him. Teal'c had rushed to save him, only to be captured as well. Damn! Jack felt himself slip into darkness as the Jaffa hauled him away.

~

A fuzzy blur. That's what Daniel woke up to, a fuzzy grey blur. He couldn't see a thing and his glasses were probable still lying in a cavern on the last planet they visited. He couldn't even remember its designation.

"But soon you will remember all."

A smooth, seductive voice. How he wished it belonged to Sam. Unfortunately, it didn't.

"I will now give you a gift that my father bestowed on me."

Father? Who the hell was her father?

"Why, the glorious Apophis, of course."

Apophis! But then that makes your mother...

"Amonette, the most high."

Daniel was going to be sick. Apophis had a daughter! Great, that was all he needed! His beloved wife had turned into a Hathor! Oh dear! Maybe it was a good thing she was dead. Daniel! What are you thinking?

"I'm not sure. Your thoughts are most puzzling."

Daniel tried to sit up, but felt the straps binding him.

"I just need to give you your present."

Oh no! Not again. Well, hopefully not. He felt a presence lean over him and a sharp pain dug into his head. He screamed.

~

"Well, this sucks!"

Jack kicked the wall and immediately regretted it, hopping around swearing for several seconds.

"Colonel O'Neill. Damaging yourself will not regain their freedom."

Jack mumbled something and then sat back down.

"I wonder where they've taken them."

"Probable to a torture facility on the upper decks."

"It was a rhetorical question, Teal'c."

"Rhetorical?"

Jack sighed. Some things never changed.

~

Sam struggled under the Jaffa's grip, kicking out and swearing. She was dragged into a laboratory of some kind, where she saw Daniel laying stretched out on a table. Uh oh! Then he sat up. He walked over to her and smiled. Then he laughed. Sam looked at him in amazement. Kina stood behind him, a look of pure satisfaction spread across her face.

"Why, Sam, I'm so happy!" Isn't she just wonderful? And guess what? We're getting married!"

He burst into another laughing fit. Kina's sick smile got even wider.

"What have you done to him?"

"He now only thinks what I tell him to. He is mine."

"Over my dead body."

"If you like."

Kina shot out a hand and pinned Sam against the wall. Her long cruel fingers closed around her neck and Sam choked.

~

Daniel just kept laughing. He didn't know why but Kina had told him too. But this sight pricked him. His beloved Samantha was being massacred and he was just standing there, laughing at her. Something inside him snapped. Literally. The artificial neural net overloaded, shocking his mind and disabling Kina's. Sam slid to the floor, coughing. Daniel was instantly beside her and he pulled her to him. He enveloped her in his arms, and she lay across him, leaning against him. Daniel rocked her gently, as she held him.

~

Daniel could have rocked her all day but duty called and he had to go rescue Jack. Ha! He was finally the hero. Jack needed Daniel to rescue him. Poetic justice. Sam was practically towing him through the corridors. There were hardly any Jaffa around, which was a good thing. After Apophis' downfall there can't have been many Jaffa left serving his family. This Kina was truly amazing, surviving the death of her parents. Daniel could relate. He had lost his parents too. Sometimes he almost laughed at the absurdity of their death. Two brilliant archaeologists crushed by a statue! He hoped they were proud of him, wherever they were. Sam had towed him for what seemed like forever. She led the way strongly, clinging on to his hand, as if she couldn't let it go. Finally her energy failed and she slid against a wall.

"Hey, be careful!"

Daniel bent down beside her and gently scooped her up in his arms.

"Daniel...stop fussing..."

Daniel shook his head. Sam would never accept her own limitations. She reluctantly accepted her position, relaxing against Daniel. He felt his heart unwillingly beat faster as he carried her. She was his friend, dammit! He strode on, trying not to think of what might happen after this.

~

"So, how do we get out of here?"

Jack paced the cell again, running through every military escape tactic that came to mind.

"There is no way out, O'Neill."

"It was rhetorical, Teal'c!"

Teal'c raised a puzzled eyebrow, but Jack waved it off. Suddenly there was the sound of staff weapon blasts, followed by a succession of gunfire. The Jaffa dropped by the door. Daniel came into view, whistling and swinging the unlocking chip in one hand. Sam was leaning on his shoulder and his other hand supported her.

"Having fun, Jack?"

Jack scowled. He would never live this down at the SGC. Having to be rescued by a civilian. And Daniel, of all people! Sure, Sam was with him but she looked totally worn out. Her grip on Daniel's shirt tightened with every second.

"Okay, Danny boy, let us out!"

Daniel stared at him in mock amazement.

"You want me to let you out? I would never have guessed!"

Sam was smiling now and had released her grip on Daniel. She reached over and caught the swinging chip. Daniel sighed and released the chip. Sam plugged into the wall and the door opened, just in time for Jack to catch the swaying Carter.

"Daniel, can you take her?"

"Sir..." she protested but Daniel lifted her easily into his arms. She reached t put her arms around his neck and he bent his head to let her. Jack checked the gun Daniel had handed him and grimaced.

"Fresh out. Teal'c, grab the staff. Let's get out of here."

"Uh...Jack?"

Jack turned to face Daniel.

"Yes?"

"How...exactly?"

Jack looked at him with that "I'm your CO, don't argue" look and led the way.

~

"Ah!"

Jack had led them straight out. It wasn't a ship, but a Gourld base. That explained the see-through doors and the small differences that they had all noticed. Daniel felt Sam shift in his arms.

"Can you put me down?"

Daniel lowered her to the ground. She stood up and stumbled. He grabbed her arm and placed it on his shoulder. She smiled, gratefully and kept her hand there as they headed for the distant Gate.

~

"Company!"

SG1 dove behind some nearby rocks, Daniel pulling Sam beside him. She brushed him off and held out her hand to the Colonel. Jack passed her a staff. Daniel sighed and reluctantly pulled out his revolver. The Zat blasts rang overhead and then Jack signalled the attack. SG1 rushed out at the Jaffa and spread some wild fire. There were only six of them but they presented a tough fight. Daniel soon ran out of bullets, leaving him a sitting duck. The Jaffa saw his weakness and aimed their fire. Daniel jerked as the first Zat blast hit him. Sam leapt from her position and knocked him down, the second shot passing over her.

"Daniel!"

But his eyes remained firmly closed. Sam dragged him back to their original position, and dumped him behind a rock. She kissed him lightly on the cheek and then went back to the fight. She was angry now. She took out three of them in one volley and Jack and Teal'c took care of the rest.

"Nice shooting, Carter."

"Thank you, sir."

It was then that Jack noticed their missing archaeologist.

"Where'd Daniel go?"

"He was shot, sir. He's over here."

Jack nodded slowly and signalled for her to take them to him. They moved over to where she had left him. Sam sucked in a breath. Kina was standing over Daniel, holding out her ribbon device but also brandishing a Zat. She looked up, eyes glowing.

"Shoot me and he dies!"

Hostage situation. Damn, Jack hated those! He was just about to make a threat when Carter stepped forward.

"Take me instead."

Jack reached out to her, but she looked back at him and winked! Jack thought she had finally flipped. Daniel plus Stargate plus head injury equals insanity? She slowly walked forward, dropping her gun on the way. Jack just couldn't figure out her plan. This definitely wasn't in any manual he had ever read. Kina thought it was real enough and looked first at Sam and then back at Daniel.

"He caused my mother great pain but justice demands a life, be it his or not."

Sam nodded and Jack was certain that she'd lost it. But he wouldn't act unless she seemed in dire trouble.

"But may I have one last request?"

Kina was considering this and then nodded. Sam walked over to Daniel and kneeled down beside him. She bent over and kissed him. Her lips passionately met his and Jack was numb with jealously. Then Jack clicked. He pulled his eyes off Carter and to Kina. She was staring at the two, full of anger and jealously. Carter had figured on a personal connection and had hit home. Jack looked at Teal'c, who was already watching him. The Jaffa was always two steps ahead! Jack nodded. They launched themselves at Kina. Jack knocked her to the ground, while Teal'c grabbed the Zat. Nice one, Carter!

~

Sam finally pulled away from the kiss. Not that it hadn't been fun! She looked up to see Daniel's bright, blue eyes staring up at her.

"Sam?"

She ignored his questioning tone.

"How are you feeling?"

"Great. Can you help me up?"

Sam stood up and Daniel reached for her hand. She leant down and he grasped her wrist. She hauled him up and steadied him. He grinned at her and she laughed lightly.

"Roles reversed."

They smiled again and then looked at Jack, who was struggling with Kina.

"Give me the Zat, Teal'c."

Jack powered the weapon and then shot Kina. Twice. She fell to the ground, ending the Apophis line. Or so they hoped.

"Let's get back kids!"

~

"SG1, where have you been?"

General Hammond stood at the bottom of the ramp, assuming the command stance but showing his worry clearly. He already had a medical team ready and Janet ran up to Sam and Daniel, examining them both, as they looked ready to collapse. Janet took Daniel from Sam and then signalled for another medic to take care of Sam. SG1 headed for the infirmary.

~

"Another lucky escape, huh?"

Sam smiled. Daniel and her had checked out fine. They walked the corridors together, talking and laughing. Suddenly Daniel grabbed Sam's hand and led her into the lift. They went right to the top. Daniel dragged her onto a patch of grass and pulled her onto the grass. He smoothly drew her into his lap, her head resting on his chest. They both looked up at the stars.

"It's beautiful, isn't it?"

Sam smiled as she felt Daniel's fingers in her hair.

"You know, I'm not used to feeling so...vulnerable."

Daniel laughed softly and then bent down to whisper, "I promise to be gentle."

Daniel leaned back onto his hands, looking for a really bright star. He remembered a song he had heard as a kid and smiled. It seemed so perfect right now. He closed his eyes and wished. When he opened his eyes, Sam was staring at him. She moved forward and kissed him lightly. She pressed down on him and they both went down, their musical laughter echoing throughout the mountain.

~

When you wish upon a star,
Makes no difference where you are,
May your dreams come true!

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Demon Faith