Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Darkness of Humanity, The

by Demon Faith, Stephali
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
The Darkness Of Humanity

The Darkness of Humanity

by Demon Faith and Stephali

TITLE: THE DARKNESS OF HUMANITY
AUTHORS: Demon Faith and Stephali
EMAIL: rosabeth@hotmail.com and stephalij@hotmail.com
CATEGORY: Sam/Daniel, possible Sam/Jack (yuck!), Angst, Drama
SPOILERS: Minor references to: Need, Divide and Conquer, Upgrades, Seth, Shades of Grey and Out of Mind.
SEASON/SEQUEL: Season 4 somewhen
RATING: PG-13
CONTENT WARNINGS: Torture, implications and language
SUMMARY: Daniel shows a side we've never seen before the Darkness of Humanity...
DISCLAIMER: Stargate SG1 belongs to MGM, Showtime/Viacom and all the other nutcases who think S/J is preferable to S/D...(Okay, no one flame me for that comment!)
AUTHOR'S NOTES: This is the quickest Fanfic we've ever written. It took us about a fortnight! We think it's one of our better ones; but would greatly appreciate your opinion! (Translation: WE WANT FEEDBACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Sam quickly ran a brush through her hair. It didn't really make much difference anyway, a) it was so short and b) it was soooo wet. That last planet seemed to have decided to end its five month drought and start a monsoon season. Naturally the natives were happy, and even accounted it to the presence of SG1, but Sam was not pleased. To add to it her hair drier had finally broken down after years of long service, and as a favour the Colonel was going with her to buy a new one. She couldn't stand the standard issue ones. Of course it might look a bit suspicious if you look like you've been caught out in a hurricane for a week if the rest of Colorado is happily going through a sunny patch, but Sam didn't care. To be honest it was the least of her troubles. The General was calling on her to strengthen the iris' defences, since another close shave with SG4 meant that it couldn't withstand another frontal attack. She really wanted to experiment with her new reactor to see how she could improve its economisation. And the Colonel was baiting her with rather sexist comments, trying to force her into a rematch of their hand-to-hand combat, which last time ended in humiliating defeat. But she'd show him when the time came. Teal'c was giving her some very useful advice.

"Carter! You done yet?" He was impatient. As usual. No sooner than the debriefing had finished, then Colonel O'Neill was bouncing around the corridors, yelling at her to hurry up. She stopped half a minute to ask Daniel and Teal'c if they wanted to join to them, but Teal'c gracefully declined and Daniel had disappeared from her sight. Fine she thought, he doesn't have to come if he doesn't want to.

~

Sam and Jack had just checked out of the main gates and were heading out on a relatively minor road to the nearest out-of-town shopping centre. As it was Jack's car, he insisted on having the sports commentary on the radio turned up at full volume, so that Sam could barely hear herself think. Let alone the gunshots.

Jack felt the car shudder, as he lost some control over its steering. He immediately silenced the radio, his survival instincts kicking in. Taking a hard left, he tried to ram his way through the quite thick hedging, hoping that this wouldn't end up as a high speed car chase over the local hillside. It didn't. He ended up smashing into a low wall on the other side of the fence, bringing his car to a very quick stop. The airbags activated, cushioning him from most of the blow, but it was still painful. Jack knew he couldn't run. They had guns for god's sake anyway, whoever they were.

Four men, dressed all in black, their faces masked, marched over to the vehicle, wrenching open the door and pulling Jack and Sam free of the wreckage. Jack prepared himself to make some comment, but as if they expected it, a man kicked him roughly in the back, causing him to cry out in pain. Sam tried to struggle free to help him, but she too was beaten back.

"Why are you doing this? Who are you?" She received no reply. They were then bundled into the back of a truck, which Sam noticed had no number plate.

A fifth man, who had been waiting in the driver's seat came over and snapped handcuffs over both Sam and Jack's wrists. He then chained them to the inside of the truck, meaning that neither could escape.

Sam tried again, "Who are you? What do you..." but Jack shushed her with a warning glare.

The fifth man laughed, "Quite touching really, Colonel." The voice faltered, as if unused to calling people by rank. "As for you Sam, I'm sorry I have to do this." His voice lowered, almost ragged with emotion, "I really am."

He then headed back up to drive them away, removing his mask to see more clearly. Sam caught a glimpse of his face in the reflection in the window. It was Daniel. Unmistakably. It was Daniel.

~

Sam groggily came to, wondering what the hell had happened. Then she remembered. She raised her head slightly, realising she was lying flat out on the floor. She sat up slowly, clutching her head.

"Colonel?"

"Carter!"

Jack sat up quickly, immediately regretting it. He had pounding headache. Must've been a sedative.

"Do you know where Daniel is, sir?"

"WHAT? They have Daniel?"

Panic surged through Jack but Sam just looked distinctly uncomfortable.

"Not exactly, sir..."

"Still keeping up that ridiculous charade? Couldn't you at least be honest?"

A figure clad in black emerged from the shadows. He looked at them sharply; azure eyes more black than blue. His glasses had disappeared and there was an overwhelming confidence about him that yelled 'military' and 'control'.

Jack just stared. What could he say? Daniel was standing before him, calmly accusing him while it was now obvious that he had been responsible for the kidnapping. Okay, abduction sounds better...

"Lost for words? Or unwilling to implement yourself? Andrew! Mark!"

Daniel clapped his hands and two heavily-built men entered the room.

"Take Jack away for more...persuasive methods."

"No! You can't do that! Daniel; please listen!"

Daniel closed his eyes and held out his hand.

"DON'T protect him! He's no friend of ours. Can't you see that, Sam?"

As Jack was dragged from the room, Daniel took her chin and a small smile appeared.

"We're destined to be, Sam. I love you."

~

Jack heard that last comment and his temper almost boiled over with rage. Daniel. Geeky -archaeologist- Daniel, was holding them prisoner, because he loved Sam? He didn't sound very sincere about it either, it was almost as if he was going to.... going to...use her. But Jack didn't believe for one moment that his friend would ever do that. There didn't seem to be much left of his friend at the moment though. Jack shuddered at the idea of what Daniel may have become, and even more so, at what he had the power to do to him next.

'Andrew and Mark' as they were cheerfully called, flung open the door of what looked suspiciously like a cell, tossed Jack in and slammed the door behind them. They advanced in menacingly and it took all Jack's years of training not to shrink away from them, cowering against the wall.

"This isn't Dr. Jackson's fault," one of them, Jack didn't know which, growled.

Jack almost let out a yell of relief. Deep down, he knew that Daniel could not be responsible for this. That Daniel would rather take the punishment himself. He nearly asked if he could be released yet, but the other man, the larger one, swung back his fist and struck Jack squarely on the head. He crumpled down, the world went black, but he still prayed for Carter...and for Daniel.

~

Sam automatically flinched away, bowing her head. What on earth was going on? This wasn't Daniel; not her Daniel. In fact, if anything, this was 'sarcophagus' Daniel. But there was no way in hell...

Daniel dropped her face, and strode towards the dais. He stretched his arms out, indicating the whole room with a sweep of his hand.

"All this is mine. Do you like it? My kingdom. And my queen."

Daniel's hand was held out to her and she knew what that meant. Queen? Oh, what am I going to do?

Cautiously, she laid her hand in his, refusing to meet his eyes. He pulled her gently to her feet, catching her when she stumbled forward. She allowed herself to enjoy the sensation for a minute, the proximity, the contact; then she realised who was holding her.

She pushed him off, blushing a deep red. Get it together, Sam! This is not the time to be losing it!

"Daniel; why are you doing this?"

He stopped suddenly and she thought that for one insane moment he flickered! Okay, sedative-induced hallucination here!

"You don't understand, Sam. What I've felt over these months."

His voice was quiet and steady, and eerily frightening. This man before her, the good, moral man, had succumbed to the darkness around him. If Daniel's turned, where's the hope for the rest of us?

"No, Daniel..."

Sam whispered the words, not wanting to believe it.

"I heard about the deception. That there weren't any implants in your heads. You were lying to protect each other. The fact that you WERE IN LOVE!"

Daniel's voice rose to crescendo, bashing his fist into the wall. "You didn't even find the time to tell me! You just let me go on believing...." He stopped and began pacing around the room, as if he was too angry to even look at Sam any longer. " Janet's a better friend to me than either of you ever were. And now it's time to pay the price."

"If I told you something now, would you believe me?"

Daniel carried on pacing, ignoring her words. "First there's Jack. I think a knife would do the job. Leave him in agonising pain for a few minutes whilst you are bound to him. Unable to save him. That would do. And once he's dead, I think I might have a Zat gun or two around here somewhere. Dispose of the evidence. No one will ever believe, that I, Dr. Daniel Jackson, would murder his best friend. Believe me Sam, I'm a very good actor when I want to be."

Listening to Daniel talking like this was just too much. Sam couldn't just let this happen, to her or the Colonel. "Daniel! Would it make a difference if I told you that I love you?" She sounded sincere, and to be honest with herself, she was telling the truth.

"Along with Jack, the General, the Gate tech, the paperboy and Teal'c? I don't think so Sam, I'm afraid that line's not going to work with me."

"I meant it though. Just you. There's never been anything between the Colonel and me. It was just that we weren't obeying protocol, on board Apophis' ship, that's all."

"Well, it's a little bit late for that, isn't it?"

"We could be everything together Daniel. Just let the Colonel go." Sam knew she was emphasising the 'Colonel' but she thought that it might calm Daniel down a bit.

"That's not an issue yet Sam. We will be everything together." He ran his hand slowly down her back.

"You can't do this. I'd rather die!"

Daniel smirked. "That could be arranged. You arrogant, little bitch!" He rose to his full height, and slapped Sam heavily around the face. She fell back, clutching her hand to her head in terror. "But first I've got a Colonel to kill. Take her away."

Sam resisted the temptation to rush at him and walked dignifiedly away. She looked back, just once, as she left through the door. She swore she saw Daniel take a step forward before fading away. That must have been a hallucination though, for one thing, her cheek still stung from where he'd hit her, but something definitely wasn't right. She just hoped they'd all live through it. She wasn't asking for anymore than that.

~

Sam woke with a start. What had happened? One minute she was walking down the corridor, the next she was laying on a stuffed couch. Sedative: don't you just love it?

She made to get up when she realised she definitely wasn't wearing what she arrived in. She was decked out in a provocatively cut, black dress, with a very low neck and a very high hem. She got woozily to her feet, looking for signs of Daniel or Jack. She felt her cheek, which was beginning to bruise. Who knew Daniel could pack such a punch? She thought, grimly.

Suddenly, Daniel's 'guards' appeared, hauling her down the corridor. She kicked and swore but their attention was relentless. They had an exhaustive perseverance, as if their lives depended on getting her to Daniel. They were soon at his 'court', where they dropped her on the floor before exiting through the back.

Sam brushed herself off before climbing to her feet.

"My dear Sam. How lovely to see you again."

Daniel's voice was full of exaggerated enthusiasm, inspiring fear in Sam like no other.

"How do you get your...men to obey? Surely, they don't agree with everything..."

"You don't know me too well, do you?"

Daniel pulled her to him, hands firmly around her waist. Sam was caught; trapped beneath his restrictive grip.

"I'm a very resourceful man. I suppose you remember the...Blood of Sokar."

Sam gasped; not at his revelation, but at how far he had slid in morality. Who is this man? He wears the face of my best friend but he's so changed now...

It took a few seconds for Sam to realise Daniel was holding a key in front of her, bright and shining.

"You may explore our kingdom. But, DO NOT go in the room behind me. If you do...you shall not live to apologise." As is to emphasise the point, he shoved her roughly, sending her crashing to the floor. With contempt, he dropped the key beside her. "Make me proud of you Sam. You know you have no choice." He opened the door forbidden to her, and slid through, leaving Sam alone.

She carefully stood up again, wondering how many bruises she would get before this was over. And how many of them she'd get from Daniel. There was nothing really left for her to do now, except set out and explore. As Daniel had said, she didn't have much choice. Being military, Sam assumed that Jack wouldn't be found by just opening random doors, and she guessed that he was in a totally different part of the building. The room she wasn't allowed in, she decided for the moment that it was just a bluff, a trick to see how far she'd disobey Daniel. Not that he should ever have been giving orders in the first place. However, she did want to know what was behind there. Just later. Not now.

~

If she hadn't known the truth, Sam would have guessed she was in a fairytale castle. Or something similar. The hundreds of rooms were massive, each being fitted with a different purpose in mind. There was a drawing room, a conference room, a spotless dining room, a whole room devoted to a collection of model railways, a gallery and even a ballroom. And those were just the ones she'd found. Although she'd have liked to stay and look at them more closely, a sense of urgency was setting in, and the original wonder had been replaced by a feeling of increased frustration.

Not knowing where to turn, Sam decided to go back to the room where she had left Daniel. By a miracle she had found it relatively easy to get there. Seeing the 'Forbidden door' wide open, she resisted the curiosity to sneak it and instead called out Daniel's name, hoping to find out what was happening to all of them. He soon appeared, grasping a small book in his left hand.

"Have fun?" he asked sarcastically, "Well I have. I decided that Jack was just too much of a nuisance to bother with any longer. It was over quite quickly really. He didn't put up much of a fight, much less than you're doing. He knew it was better that way."

After everything she'd seen and heard that day, Sam still couldn't quite understand that Daniel... moral, honest Daniel... was saying those words. She collapsed down, tears streaming down her face; she couldn't believe it. She just couldn't.

"How could you? I thought we meant something to you!"

Daniel smirked, flickered, and laughed. Flickered? Sam wondered what the hell that meant, even if just showed she was slowly losing it. She didn't think she could continue living like this a moment longer.

Suddenly, Daniel's face was deadly serious. I hope that was a pun...

"Jack did mean something to me, Sam. Then he just went too far. I couldn't leave you with him, Sam, I just couldn't. You don't know...you never knew..."

Sam heard the implication behind his words, and couldn't bring herself to believe it. Is he trying to say that Jack...would ever...no...I don't believe it!

"You're lying! Jack would never..."

Daniel came over to her and pulled up his sleeve. Sam gasped and backed away. A burn scar was evident, and Daniel's eyes were hard and cold.

"This is what hurt your beloved Colonel could do. Can you deny my reasons now?"

Sam collapsed onto the floor, unwelcome tears pouring down her cheeks. It just didn't make sense...none of it made sense. This wasn't Daniel; Jack would never do that...yet it made sense in a sick, twisted kind of way.

Daniel's face softened in sympathy and he dropped his sleeve.

"You can keep exploring if you want to," he said, softly. Sam got up, brushing the tears off her cheeks. She took the key from Daniel and stumbled blindly towards the door. She had to get away, escape the cruel truth that was staring her blatantly in the face. She ran on and on, not even noticing that the smooth white walls changed to rough grey stonework. She stopped suddenly, looking wildly around her. She shivered at the freezing cold of the corridor, realising she must be at the very end of the complex. It was different to the rest of the halls; there were no paintings or artwork, and only one room. Sam was about to turn back, when she heard a sound. It was very low and faint, obviously not wanting to be heard. Sam moved curiously towards the door, surprised to find the peephole barred. She pressed her face to the cold steel, and could just make out a twitching figure in the corner of the filthy hovel. And Sam could've sworn it was... No, it can't be...

Quickly, she unlocked the door, surprised the key fitted at all. She ran towards the figure and crashed down beside them. She turned them over carefully, gasping in shock.

"Daniel," she whispered.

There he was, lying in that dirty little room. He was badly beaten, bleeding heavily from various wounds. Sam quickly forgot all that had happened, slapping his face gently. Dusty blue eyes fluttered open, meeting hers with a horrific expression of pain.

"Sam? Wh...why are you here?"

Sam shushed him softly, stroking back his damp hair. She quickly assessed his many injuries, grimacing at the beating the youthful archaeologist had taken. Then, she remembered 'Daniel'...

"Daniel, what's going on? I saw..."

"Me? Acting kinda...arrogant?"

A fit of coughing wracked him and Sam held him gently to her, tears pricking her eyes. When he had recovered, he turned to her.

"It was all a ruse, Sam. He said he needed to know. I had to be kept...out of the way."

Sam's anger boiled over. Someone had used them, and Daniel had been captured to ensure his silence.

"Daniel, what kind of bastard did this?"

He looked up at her, his azure eyes transmitting every ounce of hatred in his words.

"Harry Maybourne."

~

Jack opened his eyes warily. Too many years in the air force meant that he seldom even moved without scanning the room for sabotage, assassins, booby traps and the like. When he had scrutinised it to his satisfaction, he slowly sat up, very surprised of the fact that he wasn't injured in anyway, apart from the bruising he had suffered when he crashed the car. I wonder what happened to it, he thought, followed by, I wonder what happened to me. And to Daniel. And to Sam. And where's Teal'c?

Another thing struck him, this wasn't your typical torture, interrogation or confinement room, (Jack having experienced all three). It was predominantly white, with starchiness reminiscent of the infirmary. The walls were covered in monitor and video displays, with what looked suspiciously like infirmary charts lying next to them. He stood up and briefly glanced over them, but other than the fact that three people had what looked like normal heart rates, he couldn't tell very much. He was just going to try the door when it opened, swinging slowly towards him, and a shadowy figure stepped through.

"Maybourne?!" he choked incredulously.

"Colonel O'Neill, it's a pleasure to see you again."

"Just what the hell do you think you're doing?"

"A mission that has the fullest backing of the President. There have been some doubts over SG1's ability to function properly as a team. It seems that personal feelings are interfering and in a hostile situation, the proper correct command decision might not be made. It is my duty to this nation and this planet to make sure we do everything we can to further our position in the universe."

"Cut the crap, Harry. What are we really talking?"

He leaned forward conspiratorially. "Well let's just say we have a little loyalty test, that shows just how far SG1 will go to save each other. And we might have to go a long, long way."

Jack started for the jumped-up little twerp before him but Maybourne just laughed.

"You can't hurt me, Jack. I'm another hologram; I'm nowhere near this room. Oh, that's what Daniel was, by the way. I can't see your snivelling little archaeologist ever being quite so...forward?"

Jack was flooded with anger and relief at the same time. He wanted to crush Maybourne, but was ecstatic that Daniel hadn't...cracked. He glanced at some of the screens around the room, before his eyes fixed on the monitors. Someone's temperature and heart rate was sky-high. So, that's me. Which means... Jack stared at the other two monitors, and one went violently wrong. The pulse slowed right down and brain activity dropped to what Jack vaguely recognised as 'unconscious'. He turned wildly to Harry.

"Whose monitor is that? What have you done?"

Harry smiled and gestured to one of the screens. And the sight filled Jack with horror.

"No..." he whispered.

He could see Daniel on the cell floor, obviously beaten while Sam was crying over him. Jack turned back to Maybourne, eyes blazing.

"You've got your results. No, let us out of this bloody simulation!"

Harry held up his hand, speaking in a frustratingly even tone.

"Patience, Jack. The test hasn't even begun..."

~

One thing Jack definitely didn't like was being forced down corridors against his will. And it was happening again. Maybourne's goons were not the gentlest of people and on more than one occasion, Jack had been on the receiving end of their violent temperaments.

"Excuse me," he said, "I really have to go so can we come back and finish this tomorrow?"

As per usual, no one even bothered to answer.

They must have reached their destination as the procession began to slow down and one of them drew out a large bunch of keys. He then took ages searching for the right one for the room he was unsuccessfully trying to open. Jack was getting more and more furious. He would have begged to find the right key himself, this was getting beyond belief. Finally, the door opened and Jack and was pushed inside, then the goons turned and left.

"Colonel!" Sam brightened. If anyone was going to help them, he would.

"Carter," he responded as a way of greeting. "How's he doing?"

"I can answer for myself Jack," Daniel's voice answered. From the state of him, Jack figured it would be better if Daniel didn't have to do anything right now, except lie in the infirmary and get injected of course.

"So Daniel, how you doing?"

"Felt better when I fell down that mountain."

That was not one of Jack's favourite memories, seeing Daniel several thousand feet down a mountain, whilst the rest of SG1 were stuck on top. Luckily they had Teal'c....

"Where's Teal'c? Have you seen him?"

"Very good question O'Neill," the sneering voice answered. "He is not needed for these particular tests. We have others which he would be much better suited to."

Sam and Daniel both spoke together, "Maybourne?"

"Yeah kids it's a long story," Jack murmured. "Old snaky is back."

Maybourne surveyed the room before him with increasing pleasure. Daniel was practically laid out on the floor, Sam kneeling beside him and propping him up. He was leaning heavily on her supporting arm and her rage was mounting fast. Her wild blue eyes flashed him several freezing looks and Harry was hard-pressed not to look away. Jack had joined them, kneeling on the other side of Daniel. His arm had crept behind the archaeologist's back and was adding extra support. The worry was intense on both Sam and Jack's faces, and Daniel looked about ready to just give up. Which would be fine with Harry. He couldn't stand the oh-so-moral archaeologist at all, and would love nothing better than signing his death certificate right now.

"Now, I have a bargain to strike with you. Listen very carefully; you can only make one decision. I need one of you to stay for...questioning, the other two are free to go. So, which one will it be?"

Jack and Sam exchanged panicked-looks, Sam closing her hand protectively around Daniel's shoulder. Harry could see this was going nowhere, and decided to get things going.

"What about...Doctor Jackson? He has all the information I need..."

"No! You are not taking Daniel!"

Sam stood defiantly, leaving Jack with Daniel.

"Take me."

"Carter! You are not doing that. I'm your commanding officer, and I am ordering you not to. I'll do it." Jack stood up and moved threateningly towards Maybourne, as if emphasising the point.

"Sir. You know a lot more about the base than you are even permitted to admit to. You're the second in command of the entire base, and you have classified information about the project that General Hammond won't even tell me."

"Carter listen. Who came up with the alloy for a strengthened iris? Who sped up the dialling program? Who is the person most on this Earth that knows most about the Stargate and other alien technology? You. That's who. No one else. And I'd rot in hell before this. .. weasel... got his hands on you."

Harry broke in. "I see. How touching. I still think that Dr. Jackson would be the most... forthcoming, don't you agree?"

"You are not doing that!" Sam's temper was aroused. "He has done nothing to hurt you. So why don't you just shut the hell up and leave him alone?"

"Calm down Major, " Jack said. "And that's an order as well."

"OK. If not him that I think Colonel O'Neill would be a valuable asset to our operation. It would be a great honour if he would work with us once again."

"I'm telling you, no. If you're going to take anyone, take me."

"That's settled then. Major Carter will stay with me. I think Samantha will find our arrangements here most welcoming."

Jack knew he couldn't object, even though Sam was one of his most valued friends. She was just as stubborn as he was, and, deep down, he knew she was probably the best person. The best person? Jack, get a grip! She is not coming back from this...and you know it... Jack just stopped himself breaking down, unwilling for such a loss of face in front of Maybourne.

Sam knew this was it, perhaps the only time she could truly make a difference to the lives of her friends. And her love. No one had noticed, she had kept it too well hidden. Her whole life revolved around him, his every word, act or gesture enthralled her, his very existence was a miracle to her. This was her repayment of all that he had given her, she just hoped it wouldn't break her heart first. She started to step forward but was instantly stopped. She turned around and looked down. Daniel was solidly holding her ankle, looking at her with such despair that it moved her instantly to tears. She eased his fingers off and knelt down beside him, supporting his languid form.

"Oh, Daniel..."

"Sam, you just can't do this. You are the most...valuable person in that program, you're the most intelligent one too. You know Maybourne won't really let anyone go, and I'll just slow Jack down. You go; I couldn't bear it any other way."

"Daniel, no..."

Leaning quite heavily on her shoulder, Daniel staggered to his feet, clutching his side tightly. He lifted his head high, meeting Maybourne's stare defiantly.

"Take me."

"Daniel Jackson, you are doing no such thing!"

Jack marched straight up to Daniel, while Sam just dejectedly sat on the floor. He's going to die for me, for me, for me...

"Jack, I have to do this..."

"You're in no fit state to make this decision!"

"I know what's right! And this is what I have to do. Take care of Sam...yeah?"

Jack took his arm tightly, glancing back at Sam.

"That's your job. Which is why I can't let you do this..."

"Jack please!"

Jack was about to protest, when a sudden Zat blast came out of nowhere. Daniel whirled round, instantly regretting it.

"What did you do that for?"

"It was getting boring. It's now or never, Doctor Jackson."

Daniel nodded and moved forward. Sam knew she had to act now. She jumped up and came up behind him, turning him slowly towards her.

"Daniel, I..."

Daniel placed a finger to her mouth, locking his gaze with hers.

"I love you, Sam Carter. Never forget that..."

He took his finger away, leaned forward and captured her lips with his. Sam's eyes drifted closed, repressed tears filtering under the lashes. She was suddenly pulled away and she cried out in anguish. Daniel smiled at her one last time, before walking painfully towards Maybourne.

Suddenly, there was a flash of light and...

~

Jack and Sam both sat up at exactly the same time. They were in the infirmary, both with some metal disk attached to their foreheads, which looked suspiciously like Tok'ra memory devices. Sam glanced around; the room was empty except...

"Daniel!" She leapt from her bed and rushed to his side. She briefly checked him over. "There's been no new injuries Colonel," she added.

"Well that's one piece of good news. Carter, what the hell is going on here?"

At that moment, General Hammond and Dr. Frasier walked in.

"Colonel O'Neill, good to have you back, son."

"General? What was that? Did she do this?" he pointed to Janet.

"No Jack. It was a simple experiment conducted to see how deep SG1's loyalty to each other runs."

"I am still only counting 3 members of SG1. One large piece of us is missing."

Janet stepped in. "I'm afraid, Teal'c's symbiot would not allow for the stimulation devices. His symbiot neutralised their effects as they were considered hostile to his mind."

"And what about my mind?! For once I think Teal'c's lucky to have Junior. He didn't have to live through the fun of the last... however long it was."

"It was only ten minutes, Colonel. The human brain can very effectively...."

"To be perfectly honest Doc, I don't care. I don't want anybody messing with my mind again, without my permission."

General Hammond rose himself to his full height. "Colonel, no less than 20 minutes ago, you told me that you would be perfectly happy for this test to go underway."

"Would I ever let Maybourne appear in my imagination for more than a few seconds? I think not. Unless I was torturing him, which I wasn't. He was torturing us."

"The whole situation was devised by your mind entirely. It must have been a common factor that all three of you felt very strongly against."

And so it went on.

Daniel stirred, his eyes opening in surprise as Sam gently whispered his name. "Hey Daniel. How are you feeling?"

He shifted uncomfortably, "Pretty well considering... considering..."

"It's a long story Daniel. You'll have to come over and I'll tell you it some time."

"I'd like that. Listen Sam, when we were, wherever we were, I meant every word I said."

"I know you did, I did too."

"Promise?"

"I'll do more than that." She leant over and kissed him.

Suddenly the room went quiet, as Jack, Janet and General Hammond all stopped shouting and noticed what was happening over in the corner. They waited patiently, until Sam and Daniel finally broke apart from each other.

Daniel caught Jack's eye and shrugged, "Oops."

Jack sat down on his infirmary bed. "Team loyalty, huh? I think I need to lie down..."

THE END

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Demon FaithandStephali