Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

So, What Did You Do This Christmas?

by Demon Faith, Stephali
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
So, what did you do this Christmas?

So, what did you do this Christmas?

by Demon Faith and Stephali

TITLE: So, what did you do this Christmas?
AUTHOR: Demon Faith and Stephali
EMAIL: rosabeth@hotmail.com and stephalij@hotmail.com
CATEGORY: Sam/Daniel, Drama, Angst
SPOILERS: Cold Lazarus, Crystal Skull, FIAD, The Movie, The Other Side, Crossroads, Torment of Tantalus and Bane.
SEASON / SEQUEL: After 'Crossroads', which according to me, is just before Christmas
RATING: PG-13
CONTENT WARNINGS: Violence, torture and major Danny-whumping!
SUMMARY: Daniel and SG1 have an eventful Christmas saving Earth...
STATUS: Complete
ARCHIVE: Heliopolis
DISCLAIMER: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. We have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the authors. Not to be archived without permission of the authors.
AUTHOR'S NOTES: This was our first spontaneous piece. Usually, one of us creates a plot and we stick to it. This time, we wrote what we felt like. This is why it's a little...um...stranger than usual. Enjoy!

Daniel limped into his office, coffee cup in hand, and groaned. There were fifteen folders on his desk, all needing his expert attention and at least twelve boxes of artefacts waiting for reviews and reports. Sure, Daniel loved his job but he just wished he could give it a rest.

After Teal'c's...well, lover...died. Jack had arranged for SG1, Janet and Cassie to go on holiday to the Rockies. It had all been fine until the avalanche. It was only a small one but the snow rolled straight off the cliff and onto Daniel, who just happened to be standing underneath. The giant snowball hadn't stopped until the very bottom of the slope and Daniel somehow managed to sprain his knee, hence the limp. Janet had told him to stay off work for two weeks but Daniel had already missed a week of work, and that meant trouble.

Christmas was fast approaching, and Daniel wanted to go Christmas shopping while he still had the chance. However, work had other ideas and the planets they kept dialling just happened to be the ones loaded with artefacts. He had been working non-stop for about four days and it was starting to catch up with him. The rest of SG1 had stayed in the Rockies with Cassie, so there was no one to nag him to get enough sleep, food, coffee etc.

Daniel swung himself into his chair and stared at his desk in dismay. Shoving most of the files on his desk roughly to one side, he picked up the one that had been lingering there the longest. SG7s little trip to a Jaffa infested planet, where the dutiful military scientist grabbed several shards of pottery and brought them back for study. Daniel knew instinctively that they were worthless, but the General wanted them examined just the same. And now he had a couple of weeks with his team on stand down, people were expecting miracles. Daniel sighed at the thought; he'd seen far too much to ever believe in miracles again.

~

"Typical. He's spoilt my plans too many times for his own good. All he needed to do was stay off the base, but no, our little archaeologist friend managed to get himself injured." The voice was filled with hate, raging at the unfortunate messenger.

"Surely one archaeologist," the word was used sneeringly, "Could not stop us."
"Maybe. Maybe not. I'm not willing to risk it. He's smarter than he looks."
"Which isn't saying much."
"Are you saying I cannot determine the strength of my adversaries?"
"I was only saying that..."

"Enough. We're taking too long. There will not be another chance like this."
"I'll make sure this Dr. Jackson does not interfere with our plans."
"I need more than that. By this time Friday, he must be eliminated for good."
"Very well." And with that, she left.
~
Daniel sat at his desk, rubbing his eyes every few seconds. He knew he needed sleep but he had to finish at least seven of the reports by tomorrow. He had only finished two.

Janet stood in the doorway, shaking her head. She had volunteered to return with Daniel, because no one else wanted to. Well, that wasn't necessarily true. Sam would've gladly gone with him, but Jack was determined that their 'already over-worked major was not going to waste her time on their clumsy klutz of an archaeologist'. Ever since the incident with Eurondans, Jack was slightly uncomfortable around Daniel, and even more sarcastic. He hated to admit he was wrong, especially if that meant Daniel was right. Sure, the archaeologist hadn't made a big thing out of it but then it wasn't in his nature. Why couldn't the Colonel just see that?

"You need some sleep, Daniel."

"No, I need to finish this."

Daniel had known she had been there for quite some time but Janet was shocked that he had noticed in his fatigued condition.

"How did you know I was there?"

"Call it having spent way too much time in the infirmary."

Daniel rubbed his eyes again and his phone rang. He picked it up.

"Dr Jackson?...Anna! Wow, how are you?. ..How did you get this number?. ..Did he now? I'll kill him when I see him.. ..Yes, I'll tell her.... ..No! What gave you that idea?. ..No she doesn't!. ..I am not blind!. ..Fine, see you then,. ..Bye!"

Janet eyed him strangely. The conversation sounded strange, even from this end. Daniel shook his head in disbelief and went back to his report.

"Who was that, Daniel?"

"That was Anna, my foster sister."

Janet's eyes widened. Foster sister?

"So, what were you talking about?"

" Apparently, she's been seeing Jack for quite sometime. She became an astrophysicist and Sam's been e-mailing her. She wants to meet me on Friday."

Janet raised her eyebrows slightly. Hadn't Daniel said he would never let his sister date Jack?"

"Um......Daniel..."

"Yes, I actually let him date her. Well, I didn't let him date her, he just went ahead and did it. Typical Jack."

Grinning to himself, Daniel leaned back in his chair. Janet was glad the call had put him in such good spirits but he really needed some sleep.

"You have to sleep now, Daniel."

He pouted at her but she just got his arm and fairly dragged him to his quarters, doing all but tucking him in. When she had left, Daniel pulled out his cell phone and sent Sam a text message.

~

Five miles up a mountain, Sam pulled out her mobile at the incessant beeping. She grinned at the writing.

"Whatcha got?" asked Jack, signalling to Teal'c to stop with them.

"It's from Daniel. He's fine. He's seeing Anna on Friday. He's going to kill you."

Sam's straight-faced comment sparked the exact reaction she had intended.

"Me?!!! Why would anyone want to kill me?! I mean such a nice, lovable Colonel, such as myself, deserves to live until at least 150. Possibly longer."

"Master Bretac will indeed live to that age. It is in fact likely, that he will live longer."

"Yeah well, apprentices apparently don't live that long."

"They do indeed. All Jaffa have such high life expectancy. It is only humans, such as yourself, O'Neill, that do not."

Sensing that this conversation would only end in tears, Sam started a new one.

"So, you gave Anna Daniel's work number?"

"Well one day she might have needed it."

"Sir. It's the SGC, we don't want too many people having access to it."

"Why not? Besides, other people know it."

"Like who?"

"Ali, for one."

"Do you think I should send her a present for this Christmas festival that is soon approaching?"

"Good idea Teal'c, brighten her day."

"Colonel........"

~

Daniel had been looking forward to visiting Anna all week, despite the stacks of work he could and should be doing during that time. He had been so engrossed in his work that he hadn't noticed that his diary had disappeared. Or his pager. Or even his personal Goa'uld dictionary. It was his favourite book because it contained all the words that weren't part of an original Earth language, but an adaptation instead. And he had included Goa'uld because he could leave the book for the other linguists to access when he was off-world. But he hadn't noticed it was gone.

At least, until Janet asked him.

"Hey Daniel. I need a little translation from you."

Daniel swung round from the last of his reports, relieved that he had at last finished.

"Sure Janet. What's it for?"

Janet sighed. Someone always came back on a Thursday and almost always injured, especially SG1. Today was no exception. Janet was going to be glad for her weekend break. She left the SGC that evening, for a whole weekend for just herself and Cassie. Bliss!

"Well, one of the SG3 Marines has a strange. ..artefact stuck on his arm. It has some writing on it that I thought we could use to get it off, seeing as it appears to be naquadah."

Daniel smiled. That was definitely a new one! He had never actually heard a better excuse to make him stop working and, if he didn't know better, he could've sworn Janet set him up.

"Coming, Janet. I'll just grab my dictionary."

Daniel leapt up and started to scan through his bookshelf. Then, he stood back and frowned.

"It's not here, Janet. I dunno; maybe Robert borrowed it."

Daniel cocked his head slightly, puzzling it over. He thought over every possible place it could be but drew a blank.

And, somewhere, in the far reaches of space, Liberty opened her eyes and smiled. She knew.

~

Daniel had paid no further attention to the matter of his missing dictionary. He found the translation relatively easy off the top of his head, and one very relieved Marine was extremely grateful for it. He said goodbye to Janet and waved her off as she headed back into her car. She was going to pick up a few things from the store before driving up to collect Cassie. Then they were going on their own vacation, away from Jack, Sam and Teal'c, who were staying back at their original site.

It was only after she'd left that Daniel remembered that Robert might have borrowed his dictionary, to help with his translation. Daniel wasn't the only one getting snowed under with work.

"Hello,....er.....Robert?" Daniel peered around the door. There was no sign of the man in question, only a simply huge mountain of paperwork.

"Hi Daniel!" His voice came as a shock. Daniel jumped in alarm as Robert appeared from wherever he'd been hiding.

"You haven't borrowed my Goa'uld dictionary by any chance?"

"No. I thought you had it. I've been trying to page you for ages so I could get hold of it."

His words made Daniel stop and think. Where is my pager? Come to think of it, Where's my dictionary? "Sorry to disturb you, if you've got work to be doing."

"Come on Daniel, it's nearly Christmas. It doesn't matter."

"I've got some stuff to catch up on anyway, so I'll see you later?"

Robert didn't even reply. His work had his full attention again. Daniel wandered off back to his office, wishing that SG1 could be here with him.

~

Liberty opened her eyes again and stood up. She walked over to the control panel and pressed a few buttons. The ship lazily slumbered through space, breezing towards a place known only as 'The First World'.

~

Daniel went back to his office. Half-way there, he stopped and turned around. Funny, I could've sworn someone was following me. Dismissing it as paranoia, he continued, wishing that Sam or Jack could be here to sort this out. Or at least deliver him to the nearest psychiatrist.

He opened his door and glanced at the clock. Midnight already! That's means it's Friday...

The door slammed behind him and Daniel jumped. He turned around and fumbled for the light switch. Nothing happened. He tried his door handle but it was locked. He was just about to reach for the phone when...

"I unplugged it."

Daniel swung round, but couldn't make out anyone in the dim light. He was frightened now.

"Who are you? What do you want?"

Daniel felt someone pass by him, and his arm was twisted. He yelled but was just forced onto his knees. Someone kneeled beside him, breath warm on his cheek.

"You won't be around this time, Daniel. I'll see to that!"

Daniel gasped. He knew that voice!

"What the hell? Sa..."

"Don't mention that name! It never belonged to me; don't bring it up if you value your short life."

Daniel closed his eyes, wondering how he managed to get himself into such trouble. Not that you usually get captured by your best friend's ex-wife...

~

Liberty smiled to herself. The plan was coming together.

~

Sam dropped Jack off at the garage so he could buy some flowers for Anna and then took Teal'c back to base. Since she was there, she decided to check on Daniel. He's probably forgotten he's even going to meet Anna! And if he hadn't, she could deter him from it. She didn't think the Colonel would enjoy being interrupted.

Sam knocked on the door. No answer. She opened the door slightly and called his name. Still no answer. She went inside and looked around. No-one there. Damn it Daniel, why are you never here when I need you? Sam continued her search by checking everywhere on the base she had ever come across Daniel in his free time. That took about ten minutes. She called the security at the surface who told her that he hadn't left Cheyenne Mountain, she called every single linguist/archaeologist/person-even-slightly-interested-in-history on the base, but nobody had seen Daniel since the day before. Finally, when she had reached her limits in patience and exasperation, she called the Colonel, who was supposed to be meeting with Anna.

Suspiciously, in Sam's mind, Anna had never shown up. Jack admitted to calling her home number, her work number and her mobile number and coming up with no response.

"I'm sorry sir, but we've got another problem. Daniel's missing too."

"What?!"

"I've tried everyone Colonel, but nobody's seen him since yesterday. The last person was Dr. Rothman who said that Daniel hadn't been responding to his pager.."

"That's nothing, Carter; he doesn't respond to me yelling in his face, how do you expect him to listen to a tiny 'bleep' noise when he's working?"

"Good point. So where do you think he is? I asked around and his car's still at the base, and according to security he hasn't left."

"According to security, Carter? What's wrong, don't you believe that everything security says is right anymore?"

"Not when I saw how much you paid them."

"Well, I'll leave another message for Anna and then head on back to home sweet home. Make sure my dinner's ready, honey."

"Colonel!!!!!!!!"

"Sorry Carter. See ya."

Make sure my dinner's ready, honey? If he gets any more chauvinistic, I'm going to have to call my lover. Ah, problem... Sam sighed. If only...

~

Daniel was vaguely aware of voices talking over him and he forced his eyes open.

"Hello Daniel. Are you feeling any better?"

Janet! The kindly doctor stared down at him, as he lay on what he assumed was a gurney.

"W...what happened?"

"Oh, you collapsed. It appears you had what we call a 'stress-tumour' in your brain. I've removed it but you may get a few headaches for a while."

Stress tumour? What kind of diagnosis is that? Daniel was confused. He had just had the strangest dream. Sara O'Neill was there. It was all very odd.

Janet walked away and Sam came in and sat on the edge of his bed.

"We were looking everywhere for you, Daniel."

Sam smiled down at him and took his hand. Now, Daniel was definitely getting suspicious. Sam leaned over him and kissed him passionately. Okay; when did reality feel this good? Sam pulled away, searching his eyes. Daniel touched her chin and guided her into another kiss. But it's certainly an improvement!

~

Sam had organised a security camera search of the whole base and she had found an anomaly. One of the storage room cameras had broken and no one had noticed. She made her way to the room, opening the door slowly.

She gasped. For, in the centre of the darkness, surrounded by machines and instruments, was Daniel.

~

Time seemed to stand still. The picture of Daniel lying there in the centre of the gloom, his all-too-pale features radiating an unholy light, like that of a neglected ghost, was emblazoned in Sam's mind forever. She called his name, fervently hoping for a reply, for any sign of life, but as she pessimistically predicted, he gave her none. Sam moved cautiously through the room, she could make out a few flickering lights and symbols on the machinery, but it didn't give her enough information to whether she'd set off an alarm by disturbing them. Perhaps it was all rigged to blow up if anyone went too close! Then again, maybe not, but you could never be too careful, as Sam had found out in the past.

"Daniel?" she tried again. For an instant she thought he was responding but it was just his face contorting with pain, obviously suffering even whilst he slept. It may have been said before, but even now it was still true. Daniel looked too young, too innocent for anyone to want to hurt him. It broke Sam's heart to see her friends in pain, but when it was Daniel, the knife might as well have struck her own heart, for all the grief and sorrow she felt. But now was not the time for emotional reflections, it was obvious to her that Daniel needed her help. And she was determined to aid him in any way she could.

Sam ran for the newly-installed wall phone. She couldn't do this alone, and she knew it.

"Hello?...Colonel! I've found Daniel..."

~

Jack slammed down the phone. Anna stared at him in astonishment, as he grabbed his jacket and made for the door.

"Jack? What's the matter?"

"Your brother's missing."

"Danny? Oh no, Jack; what's happened?"

Anna caught his arm, fear sparking through her eyes. Jack took her shoulders and looked directly into her eyes.

"I'll come back as soon as I can. Lock the door and windows and stay put. Don't answer the door or the phone if you can help it."

"Okay Jack."

Jack kissed her briefly and ran out of the door. Anna was very confused but locked everything up anyway. Then, she sat down and waited.

~

Jack stormed down to the Storage Rooms, where an armed guard nodded to let him in. Inside, was a gaggle of technicians and doctors, Janet among them, crowding around a metal table surrounded by flashing lights. Robert was standing to one side, flicking through a dictionary and occasionally spouting words.

"Okay, it's definitely a coma...thing but the rest of the symbols are unintelligible."

"That's okay, Robert. You did your best."

Janet was leaning over someone and Jack knew instantly who it was. Daniel.

Sam caught his eye and headed to Jack's side, obviously tormenting herself for not being able to help Daniel. "Well, I found him." That was all she could say.

"You did well Major. Do you know who did this to him?"

"No sir. Janet thinks some translation may be the key to all this, so they've brought Robert here to try and help."

"Some help he was with the crystal skull thing...."

The offending archaeologist had heard him. "I'm sorry Colonel O'Neill. This is not really my speciality." The words didn't have to be said. It's Daniel's.

"Do you think that's why they did this? Because Daniel was a. . threat to them in some way?"

Jack sighed, dropping his arm to Sam's shoulder to comfort her. "I don't know. I just don't know."

~

Liberty paced the control room impatiently. Time was running out but Sara was taking it all in her stride.

"We will succeed, Liberty."

"Only if Samantha is as ignorant as we believe her to be."

Sara turned to Liberty, slightly puzzled.

"What has she got to do with it?"

Liberty smiled and closed her eyes, connecting with Samantha. Free to explore her mind, she found what she didn't want to see.

"She knows, Sara."

Liberty turned to Sara, eyes wide with panic.

"She knows."

~

Most of the crowd had left when they realised nothing could be done. Jack still hovered in the background, as Janet tired to attach monitors that were just giving her erratic readings.

Sam perched on the side of the machine, touching Daniel's face gently; a silent plea for him to wake up, reassure her, tell her it would all be okay.

"Sam? Are you alright?"

Sam hastily brushed at the tears creeping down her cheeks, trying to hide how deeply this had hit her. Janet laid a hand on her shoulder but she shook it off.

"Could I be alone please?"

Janet nodded slowly, tears clouding her own vision, as she took Jack's arm to lead him out of the room. When they were out, the door was shut and Janet leaned against the wall.

"Why is it always Daniel? Hasn't he been through enough?"

Jack bit his lip and drew Janet into a hug, letting her cry into his shoulder.

~

Liberty suddenly looked up.

"The time is now."

~

Sam looked sorrowfully at Daniel, making no move to stop the tears pouring down her cheeks.

"Oh Daniel; why isn't it me? I should be in there, not you. You're too valuable to us, Daniel. Please don't leave us."

Sam leaned over his still form, reaching over and accidentally, letting her fingers brush a clear blue stone in the side. At exactly the same time, a few salty tears trickled onto one of the glyphs. The symbol lit up and the whole machine began to hum. Sam looked up, sheltering Daniel's head in case something happened.

And something did. A massive holographic screen was projected above the machine, and bright light scanned her head quickly. Then, a verse appeared on the 'canvas':

One who cries for another's soul,
Elicits the charm,
Look for a fairytale of old,
To prevent your love from harm.

Just as suddenly it disappeared again, leaving Sam staring at the now empty space. Too shocked to react, she struggled to recall the rhyme. She remembered the words 'charm', 'fairytale' and most importantly to her, 'love' She assumed the verse was referring to Daniel, who else could it be? So she set about summoning to mind all the fairytales she ever heard, wondering which one held the key to Daniel's safety.

~

KNOCK KNOCK. The sharp sound cut like a knife through Sam's thoughts. The storage room door opened and in walked Jack. He caught the distracted look on her face and knew she was feeling guilty about something.
"What are you thinking about, Carter?"

Sam's eyes were sad and her voice was surprisingly small and quiet. "Fairytales, sir."

Jack raised an eyebrow and was about to speak, but Sam interrupted. "I know that you probably will be just a little bit sceptical about what I'm going to say but it did happen. I saw it."

"Go on."

"A projector of some sort appeared and an image was depicted over there," she pointed.

"And where is it now?" Jack asked.

"It just disappeared, but it told me something. It told me that the key to Daniel's safety was in a fairytale."

"A fairytale." Jack's voice did indeed sound sceptical. "Which one?"

"I'm not sure, sir."

"I know you're hurt Sam, we all are. But we've got to look at this rationally."

"It really did happen, sir, I'm not making it up. I wouldn't do that."

"I know you wouldn't. I was talking about dealing with the fairytales. Now Daniel's asleep, right?"

Sam nodded.

"Tell me a story about someone who fell asleep."

Sam's smile beamed at Jack, her eyes filled with rays of joyful hope. "Wish me luck."

"No way, Carter. I wanted to do it, but if you insist...I'll be outside the door." Jack left the room, guessing that Sam would prefer it that way. He was right. She had waited for a moment like this for so long, but now she wanted to make sure everything was going to be all right.

Sam moved slowly towards Daniel's still form, hoping that this was right. Suddenly, she panicked and closed the door, and bolted it over. If something was to go wrong, she didn't want trouble for anyone else.

As she neared the table, only one thought came to mind: The things we do for love. Sam looked sorrowfully down on Daniel's youthful face, trailing her fingers down the all-too-pale cheek. Then, she bent down and kissed him. A warmth spread throughout her body and she felt a rush of adrenaline as light shone from the table. Sam broke away and saw Daniel's frightened blue eyes staring back. He looked wildly around for a moment before his gaze settled on Sam

"Wh...what happened?"

Sam smiled down at him, fresh tears forming in her eyes. Daniel sat up in concern and drew her into a hug.

"Oh, what a touching scene!"

The two looked round and Sam gasped.

"Sara!"

The woman smiled cruelly and turned to the girl next to her.

"See! I told you we could do this."

Liberty smiled and raised her hand, a warm, red glow echoing from it. She swept it over them, before flinging it in frustration.

"They still relent!"

Sara rolled her eyes and tapped a few buttons on the armband she was wearing.

"Then let the games begin."

~

Jack never knew what hit him. One minute he was talking to Janet and the next he was lying on the floor, completely dazed. He sat up slowly, to find himself sitting at the edge of one of those holodeck-thingies off Star Trek. Or, at least that's what it looked like to him. It was a completely black room with a red grid on all six sides. He looked slowly around him and saw Teal'c, Janet and Anna lying on the floor. He stood up and Sam and Daniel suddenly materialised beside him, Sam with a firm hold on Daniel's sleeve. Jack ran over and helped up Anna, while Teal'c lifted Janet to her feet.

"What the hell is going on?"

"You have been chosen."

Everyone turned to the other end of the room where a row of six figures faced them. Sara and Liberty stood in the middle and on either side of them were four...

"Unas!"

~

Great, thought Jack. Just great. I haven't seen my wife.... my ex-wife in... god knows how long. And now she turns up here, almost killing Daniel along the way, to put us in a TV game show. Life really sucks sometimes. But I do miss Sara though...

"Who are you?" Sam asked bravely, not aiming the question at Sara.

"She is Liberty. She has come to assist me with my operations."

Jack's voice was quiet and shaky. "But...Sara?"

"Yes Jack. I'm here. And this time I'm the one with all the little plots and information that I can't tell you because it's classified." She saw the shocked expression on her former husband's face. "I thought you'd accept it Jack. I guess I was wrong. I was wrong about a lot of things."

Anna didn't particularly understand or like the communication between Jack and this... woman, she felt she had to say something. "Now, I don't know who you are. But I do know that you don't have to do this to Jack or anyone." So she hung protectively on his arm just long enough to spark Sara's outrage.

"That's right. You don't know anything. But I'll make sure you know pain."

Daniel was about to jump in, to defend Anna from whatever was thrown at her, but he caught Jack's eye and saw the sorrow and regret that lingered there. Jack had accepted this to be his fault. And although Daniel knew this wasn't the case, he was determined to support his friend in any way he could, despite the fact he still didn't quite feel 100% yet. Or even 50, but he was going to his best.

"Listen Sara. I know what I did.."

"Yes Jack. I know what you did too. I've had enough of talking." To Liberty she added, "Is it going to plan?"

"Yes. Twenty more seconds and everything will be ready to begin."

"Twenty seconds to what?"

Daniel brought himself up straighter, looking Liberty directly in the eye. The woman stared back, looking slightly frightened and on-edge.

"You'll find out soon enough, Daniel," said Sara, tartily.

"I was asking Liberty."

Daniel's eyes never left Liberty's face, as it rolled through a torrent of emotion in mere seconds.

"You...are...evil. Must...be...destroyed!"

Liberty pressed her hands to her ears and crashed to her knees. Sara ignored the woman's plight, keeping on talking.

"Actually, I'll prepare you for your fate, mere humans. The Soberons, my true race, are about to attack Earth. And the only thing that can stop them is...Daniel."

All eyes were on Daniel, but he wasn't concentrating. He was looking at Liberty in a strange way, studying her stern, alien features with a morbid fascination.

"You're the Furlings, aren't you? The other race from Heliopolis?"

Liberty looked up at him, eyes wide. Sara pulled Liberty to her feet and shook her roughly.

"What's this? Who are these 'Furlings' he speaks of?"

Liberty looked sorrowfully at Sara and the vengeful woman just dropped her. Instead, she turned to Daniel, pulling out a long rod. She pointed it at the archaeologist and he was suspended in the air, gripped with electricity.

"Daniel!"

Sam charged at Sara but just bounced off the force field. Sara's mad eyes were intently focused on Daniel, as if channelling the electricity themselves.

"You will talk, Daniel. Or you will die."

~

It seemed to Jack that he was watching things as an impartial, unconcerned spectator. He saw Daniel's face crumple with pain but there was nothing he could do to save him. He saw Sam charge as if in slow motion, and even though he willed her to make it, the final decision was not his own. He saw his wife, but as a stranger, a mind so far from humanity and morality that there was nothing he could do to even hope of communicating with her again. Nothing in this room was about him. Not really. Not any more. He was powerless and it angered him. But there was still nothing he could do.

~

Anna was really, really scared now. She had never seen anything like this, and it came as no comfort that no-one else appeared to either. She guessed that this had to be Sara. Daniel had mentioned her several times, warned her not to talk to Jack about her or Charlie. But had she listened? No. In some ways, she was just like Daniel. That was the only time she had seen Jack really, really angry. But then she could do something, calm him down, sort him out. It seemed that there was nothing that she could do to help anyone any more. And it hurt her, just as it hurt everyone else.

~
Teal'c looked on feeling desperately close to despair. He felt a chunk of his heart had been torn away when Shan'auc had been lost to him, but he had the fire of revenge to help him there. But to watch, helplessly, as his friend, the man he had promised to protect, slowly died in front of him was unbearable. He owed it to Daniel Jackson though not to look away. If Daniel should glance at Teal'c he should see a face strong and proud, not a head cowered away in fear. So he stayed watching, but there was nothing he could do. Just like when he couldn't save Sha're. There was nothing Teal'c felt he had ever done to help Daniel, why should it start now?

~

It stung horribly where the force field had struck her, but Sam was determined to find a way through somehow. She didn't understand quite what Sara was talking about. But it didn't matter. She was going to save Daniel even if it killed her, but preferably if it didn't. She saw Daniel's pain and it enraged her that anyone would torture him in such an inhumane fashion as this. He didn't deserve it. Everything he had ever done was honourable, moral, and good. Sam glimpsed Anna, Jack and Teal'c's expressions, they all looked lost and confused. As if they were powerless to stop this and were just waiting for something to happen. This hit Sam with a jolt, they were just going to stand there and watch Daniel die! As he sure wasn't going to tell Sara anything he didn't want her to know. Sam knew she could stop this. She wasn't helpless; she wasn't going to abandon anyone now. She was going to fight. And she was going to win.

~

Janet couldn't quite believe this was happening. It was like a living nightmare from the past. She glanced at the people around her, wondering what had frozen them all. Except Sam, of course. She made for her side, but Sam held her off. Janet thought it was all very strange. Sure, she had guessed that something was going on with SG1, but the rumour mill was leaning towards Jack and Sam becoming an item. Who would've thought that shy, retiring Daniel would capture her attention? Saying that, nothing was confirmed. Wake up, Janet! You're in the middle of a hostile situation and you're still playing matchmaker!

~

"Sara! You can't do this."

The woman turned her mad, staring eyes directly at Sam. Sam held her ground under Sara's piercing glare, but was truly afraid of the burning rage afire in her eyes.

"Why not? Who's going to stop me?"

"I am."

Sara began to cackle, letting the rod drop slightly. The energy field weakened around Daniel and Sam noted every detail. Hang in there, Daniel. I'm going to get you out of this.

"You? How can you stop me when you can't even reach me?"

Sara laughed hysterically now, and the field fluctuated again. Daniel dropped slightly in the air, but Sara didn't seem to notice. Sam glanced back at her friends, wondering at each of their expressions. She caught Janet's eye and the doctor nodded. At least she had some support.

"If you're so sure of your power, how about you drop the field? But, of course, if you think you can't take me..."

Janet watched her best friend carefully. She was definitely planning something...then, it hit her. Sam glanced back at Janet and Janet nodded, signing a brief message, she had learnt in academy. Sam signed back just as quickly, by which time Sara had looked up. Sam bit her lip angrily, worrying about Daniel still suspended in the air. His struggles were growing weaker and she didn't know how much more of that he could stand.

"Alright, pathetic Tau'ri."

The shield dropped and Sam charged at Sara, bowling her straight over. She acted quickly, using an Abydonian move Daniel had shown her. Though, perhaps shown isn't quite the right word. On the plane to SG1's holiday, Sam and Daniel had sat either side of Cassie. The young girl had despaired her 'mentors' as they started to fight over Daniel's chocolate-walnut cookies. Daniel had finished the argument by a quick pinch to her neck. It had sent a spasm through her back and froze her up. Jack had told him to reverse it immediately, which he had grudgingly done. However, Sam was far from angry. She had insisted that he teach her the technique and she had learnt it religiously. She used it now and Sara thudded to the ground, groaning. Daniel thundered towards the ground and Sam just caught him in her outstretched arms.

"I need to... I can't... I won't... Sam?"

"It's OK Daniel. It's OK," Sam comforted him.

"I was... it was.... it hurt."

"I know. But everything will be all right now."

"You promise?"

"Of course Daniel. I promise." She ran a gentle hand down his face, watching as he closed his eyes and fell into an exhausted sleep.

Sara groaned again, and released her grip on the 'rod'. The gridded room faded around them and they were all back in the storage room. Sam stroked back Daniel's hair again, tears surfacing in her eyes.

Jack spoke up. "You did it Major. I'm proud of you. You did a really good job back then." His voice was shaky, trembling with its absolute conviction.

"Thank you sir. But any of you would have done the same for me."

"True, Carter. True."

~

Everything was back to its usual SGC routine. Daniel was sleeping in the infirmary, the 'electricity' having taken a hell of a lot out of him. The rest of SG1 were squashed in there with him, holding a whispered conversation about the events of the last few hours. Jack had insisted that Anna leave, which she had done. And Janet was trying to catch up on the gossip. Well at least she would have been, if it hadn't been for the fact that Liberty and one Sara O'Neill were also both lying in the infirmary. Janet had just checked Daniel's read outs (they were relatively normal) and was heading out to pass on her shift to the next doctor when Liberty stirred. Her eyes were wild with fear and she seemed totally confused and bewildered.

"What happened to him?"

Janet frowned. "You mean Daniel? Well he's going to be fine."

"Did he tell her?"

"Tell her what?"

"The translation. The key to her plan."

"I don't think so. He didn't tell her anything."

"Good. Then your world is safe."

"Excuse me?"

"I'm sorry. I must speak with him."

"He's asleep at the moment."

"I must apologise for transmitting to him without his permission."

"It'll have to wait..."

"It must be now. I will have to leave shortly."

Realising there was nothing she could do, Janet stepped aside. She headed back to Daniel's room, feeling slightly confused. Where's she going to go?

She walked in, and smiled openly. Jack was leaning back in his chair, mouth slightly open as he slept. Teal'c was mediating in the corner and Sam was draped over Daniel's bed, fast asleep. Janet checked the monitors quietly and looked back at her patient. Who was staring back at her.

"Hey Janet. I see you haven't kicked them out yet."

Janet smiled at him, as he glanced down at Sam. He trailed his hand through her hair, smiling to himself. Janet cleared her throat discreetly, and Daniel smiled up at her.

"She saved me, Janet. I owe her so much."

Janet nodded at him, wondering how she had missed this before.

"Daniel, she really cares about you. And I'm sure she'd just call it 'nothing much'. I know someone else like that..."

Daniel smiled at her, and then looked up.

"Is Liberty awake yet?"

"Indeed I am, Daniel. I am truly sorry but I'm sure I can trust you to stop her."

"Of course, Liberty. You should be getting back."

Liberty nodded to him, before touching her wrist lightly and looking upward. A column of light came down, engulfed her and spirited her away. Janet raised a hand to deliver a question, when Sam stirred lightly. Daniel quickly removed his hand, as she sat up. She took one look at him before enveloping him in a massive hug. She squeezed him tightly, and Janet didn't fail to notice that there were tears in both their eyes.

"So, the Space Monkey's pulled off another miracle recovery?"

"Yeah Jack. But I think Liberty had a hand with that."

"Daniel?"

"Yes Janet?"

Though Daniel was holding a conversation, Sam still had a firm hold on him and wasn't about to let go anytime soon.

"What the hell is going on with Liberty and Sara?"

"That could be quite a long story."

"Oh no. Here we go."

"If that's the way you feel about it Jack, I'll keep it relatively short."

"Thankyou."

"Well apparently, Sara is actually an alien who forced Liberty into her service. She came here to destroy Earth because of everything bad that's happened to her whilst she was here."

Jack looked away, pointedly staring at a mark on the ceiling.

"So she set up a time bomb which will detonate in a few. .."

"What?"

"It's obvious really. You know that mark you're staring at Jack?"

"Sure. I haven't noticed it in all my long stays in here. Normally waiting for you to wake up."

"Well it's the bomb. And it will blow up soon unless we can figure out the translation."

"WHAT? THEN, WHY ARE WE WASTING TIME?"

Jack grabbed the nearest metal bar from the construction work that was going on in the infirmary, and reached up to smash it out of the infirmary.

"Jack..."

Jack went ahead, ready to swing it. Daniel struggled up out of bed and staggered across the room. He grabbed Jack's hand, and gripped it tightly.

"You planning to blow us all up?"

Jack just stared at him, before Daniel faltered. Sam grabbed him tightly, letting him lean into her. Teal'c came over, and lifted the exhausted archaeologist back into the infirmary bed. Sam gave Jack a threatening glare, before going back to Daniel. Janet deftly took the bar out of Jack's hand and shook her head.

When was Daniel was comfortably back in the bed, he started to form his plan.

"Okay, I have about two-thirds of the translation clear. So, we need two more words to finish it. And those are written on the bomb. Unfortunately, if you touch the bomb with anything, it blows. And it's naquadah and uranium: sure to blow up most of America if we let it explode."

Jack looked at the simple crack in the ceiling, not wanting to think about what he had almost done.

~

Sam quickly went through their options, one more time. "So, we can't touch it, we can't dislodge it, we can't just look at it because the translation is on the other side of the ceiling. Jack's still for just hitting it.."

"Hey! I never said that!"

"And nobody's come up with any suggestions. Great."

"Well actually..." Daniel began, "We might just be able to twist it very slightly, you know. Surely the thing can't be that sensitive."

"Are you willing to stake everyone's lives in America on that?"

"We already are."

"Sorry Daniel. But if it is sensitive enough to detonate when handled, twisting is definitely going to have the same effect. And anyway.." Sam paused when she realised Daniel was not listening to her. "Daniel?"

He ignored her, whispering a phrase over and over to himself, altering it slightly, adding a syllable here or there until...."EUREKA!"

"Earth to Daniel Jackson. Earth to Daniel Jackson, come in, over."

"She's hurting. She's upset, but she still managed to tell me."

Janet broke in softly, "Who told you, Daniel?" She definitely didn't want a repeat of MacKensie.

"Liberty. She was here, in my mind. Her energy was so beautiful and yet so poignant, so far away."

"I apologise for breaking up the reunion, but CAN YOU STOP THIS THING?" Jack was getting just slightly edgy by this point.

"In a word? Yes Jack. Actually, in several."

Everyone yelled at Daniel, "JUST STOP IT!" except Teal'c who just raised an eyebrow.

Daniel looked slightly stunned for a minute, and Sam actually waved a hand in front of his face. He grabbed her waving palm and looked at her, his eyes shining with radiance she had never seen before.

"Daniel?" she whispered.

He looked away and back at the crack. He raised his hands slowly and a white light shone from the tips. He began to speak, rich words flowing off his tongue. They were in a language so strange, so unique that each ear heard it differently. His voice was strong and deep, laced with a determination that had never before been heard from the quiet archaeologist.

Sam watched in absolute amazement. She couldn't believe that her Daniel was acting like this, so strong for all of them. The words seemed like a substance, a rippling stream of positive energy directed at the death-threat in the ceiling.

It was over before it had begun. The cosmic forces in the room had drained away to nothing, leaving them all feeling faint and insubstantial inside. Except Daniel. He seemed to grow in strength and stature, his stance radiating with life and hope. He spoke again, just one word, "Thankyou." Then he collapsed back down, trembling. Their Daniel was back, the power he held seemed to have unnerved him. "I'm really sorry Jack," he said.

Jack didn't need to ask for what, the pain inside him was burning. For an instant there had been hope for him and Sara, but now that hope was lost. Jack didn't know what had happened to her, but in his heart he knew that nothing he could have done would ever have made it right. It had been a long time since she'd been in his life. But she'd always be a part of his soul. "Me too Daniel, me too."

~

"And YOU..."

"I know, I know!"

"There will be no more strip poker in MY infirmary!"

Jack saluted Janet, as she strutted out of the door. Daniel and Sam had broad smiles on their faces while Teal'c looked highly amused. They hadn't got past the first round when Janet had walked in. She had ranted about illegal gambling and required rest before leaving, and everyone's ears were a little sore.

"So, what instead?"

"Gin rummy?"

"GIN RUMMY! What kind of child's game is that?"

"Okay then...snap?"

Jack threw up his hands in exasperation, and strode out of the room. Teal'c smiled and followed him. Sam and Daniel were left alone in the still, silent infirmary, wondering who was going to break the silence first.

"Sam..."

"Daniel..."

"No, you first."

"No, you speak."

They looked directly at each other, searching each other's eyes for the answers that they sought. And they found them.

"I'm so sorry, Daniel."

"Whatever for?"

"I should've come back with you..."

"And got kidnapped too? No, Sam; I never want you to do that."

"Do what, Daniel?"

As they spoke, their faces got closer together, until there were only a few centimetres between them.

"Sacrifice yourself. You mean...so much to me, Sam. I never want to...lose you..."

Sam held a finger to his lips, making a faint shushing noise. She dropped her hand and closed her eyes, leaning closer still. Daniel followed suit, and their lips locked intensely. Daniel raised a gentle hand to Sam's face, as hers reached for his neck.

"YES!!! HOW LONG HAVE WE WAITED FOR THAT?"

Sam and Daniel broke away, dazed and confused. Jack smiled triumphantly from the door, fanned by Janet and Teal'c who were also grinning.

"Jack!"

"How long have you been standing there?"

Jack shrugged and sauntered over.

"Long enough. So, when's the wedding?"

"JACK!!!"

THE END

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Demon FaithandStephali