Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Defiant

by Demon Faith, Stephali
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Defiant

Defiant

by Demon Faith and Stephali

TITLE: Defiant
AUTHORS: Demon Faith and Stephali
EMAIL: rosabeth@hotmail.com and stephalij@hotmail.com
CATEGORY: S/D, Angst, Drama, Action/Adventure
SPOILERS: Major spoiler for The Movie. Don't worry though, all you need to know is...um...'Ra'. Other spoilers for: Maternal Instinct, Children of the Gods, Tok'ra, Hathor, The Devil You Know, Need and Seth.
SEASON/SEQUEL: Season 4 somewhen
RATING: PG-13
CONTENT WARNINGS: Minor character death, sexual situations, Goa'uld possession, mild language and some implications.
SUMMARY: 'Defiance is a fire that burns in us all, more strongly in some than others.'
DISCLAIMER: We own the story, and that's about it. Will put back once we've finished playing, which may be a while...And, Tk: Daniel IS mine!!!
AUTHOR'S NOTES: Um...another of our 'let's write a load of rubbish and hope it turns out okay' attempts. If there appears to be a lot of contradictions and almost-solutions, that's because Steph kept trying to finish it and I kept trying to draw it out! Sorry about the one minor fault...the...TBC, but let's forget that...

Defiance is a fire that burns in us all, more strongly in some than others. The moment he came in, I could sense it, the power of the Defiant. He shall be the one, the vessel I require. All I must do is wait.

The Gate disengaged and SG1 began to look around. Jack slipped off his sunglasses. Had they mis-dialled?

"Carter, what the..."

"No idea, sir."

Sam shrugged and scanned the room. It was completely empty, except for the Gate and DHD. And seeing as this was supposed to be a lush, green world...

"We have a problem, kids."

Teal'c raised an eyebrow, as a small procession of miniature people filed into the room, shrouded in hooded robes, carrying swaying lanterns. Jack gave a sarcastic little wave and Sam smiled brightly. Daniel just stood there, swaying slightly.

"Hello there, folks. Um...how ya doing?"

Jack frowned at his own bumbled speech, wondering when Daniel was going to cut in. Maybe the geek wants to see me suffer for once.

There was a small discussion between the cloaked figures, before one slipped off his hood, revealing a very alien alien.

They had shocking white hair and pale blue skin, bringing pictures of happy, dancing Smurfs to Jack's mind. Where the hell did that come from?

Sam looked at the people carefully while Teal'c tried to look neutral, a hard task when greeted by very Smurf-like aliens.

Suddenly, one of the aliens shouted.

"H-wll-fll!"

Jack frowned and nudged Daniel, who was standing next to him.

"Translation please."

But Daniel didn't answer. He stared blankly ahead, colour draining from his face. Sam looked back in concern, just as Daniel collapsed. She shouted and ran forward, just catching him before he hit the floor. He stared ahead, lip quivering. Jack looked at the aliens menacingly, wondering if they were affecting Daniel somehow. It wasn't unheard of.

Sam took in the trembling figure and wished she could just call Janet. Suddenly, Daniel's eyes flickered and he looked straight at her.

"H...hex. S...s...save m...me."

Daniel's eyes rolled back into his head and he went limp. Sam searched frantically for a pulse and was rewarded.

"He's out cold, sir. We should get him back now."

Jack nodded at Teal'c, who stepped forward to dial up. He had just pressed the third chevron, when all the lights flickered out. Jack cursed, earning a startled reaction from the aliens.

Sam looked up at him, worriedly and Jack just shook his head. He turned to the aliens, hoping he could make an attempt at communication.

"Um.....my friend needs help. Do you have a.....um.....healer?"

Sam looked through her pack for some smelling salts, even as she eased Daniel's own pack off his shoulders. His words kept ringing in her head. Hex. Save me. What hex? Surely there was no such thing as magic. But, then again, there was Oma Desala...

The aliens discussed again before replying.

"Hlp? Hlr? Cm-wth-s!"

Jack could've sworn that almost sounded English. He made his way to Daniel as the aliens made little beckoning motions with their hands. Heaving the archaeologist into his arms, Jack stood and followed the little aliens. Teal'c took Daniel's pack without a word and followed Jack closely, leaving Sam alone with her thoughts.

~

"Hr, sh-s-th-n," the apparent leader of the alien group pointed towards a closed off shelter.

Jack cringed, even something as remote as this reminded him of Daniel. He half expected him to be rabbiting on about the significance of a separate building, where the rest of the 'community' was obviously very socially orientated. But he only hesitated for a moment, gently lowering Daniel to the crystalline floor, murmuring words of reassurance to him, even though they wouldn't be appreciated. Teal'c and Jack boldly approached the entrance, Teal'c bluntly tearing down the ragged curtain that shielded it.
Stepping into the very centre of it, he commented "There appears to be no-one occupying this shelter O'Neill, but I can sense the presence of someone."

O'Neill cautiously stepped through, gun raised. He was just searching through the battered, splintered cupboards when a withered arm grabbed hold of his shoulder, spinning him forcefully around.

"Hey look out. That's my bad shoulder." Even at times like this, some comments were just meant to be said.

"D y ndrstnd?"

"OK, I'm only going to say this once. I'm just here to help my friend. I don't know if you understand what I'm saying but I'm really hoping that you do, and I'm also hoping that you'll be able to help him."

The alien slackened her grip, well Jack assumed she was a she and smiled.

I understand you all right, but you will never fully understand the importance of the gift that you bring me. This spirit is the one I have waited for a long time, I am not afraid to wait a little longer. The procedure cannot be hurried. The procedure cannot be allowed to fail.

Sam was kneeling beside Daniel again, gently dabbing a cold cloth on his hot, sticky forehead. She smoothed back his short hair, silently praying that he would wake up and tell her not to worry.

Foolish child. To pray to the False Deities for aid, when she sits besides one of the Defiant, true wielders of the supernatural.

Teal'c watched the old woman shrewdly. She pounded some herbs together, and mixed in a little water. Teal'c had seen this done before, but couldn't quite place where.

He is one of the False God's slaves and carries one within him. He only wants the best for the Defiant, but only I could know that.

Jack looked at the old woman. She seemed to understand them, even if they couldn't understand her. Suddenly, Daniel cried out and his eyes flew open. He reached up and cupped Sam's face.

"Promise...you won't l...leave."

"We would never leave you, Daniel!"

Jack came over and saw that Daniel was fading fast.

"Listen Danny. Do you know these people's language?"

"Miss...the...vowels..."

Daniel's eyelids flickered and appeared to lose lucidity.

"Daniel! Stay with us!"

His eyes widened for a second before he collapsed back, Sam gently lowering him to the floor. Tears glinted in her eyes but she didn't rub them away.

"H-mst-drnk-ths."

Jack thought it over before replying."

"Uh...wll...ths...mk hm...bttr?"

So, you have learnt my tongue. The Defiant teaches well.

She smiled at him and moved to tip the liquid in his mouth.

"Stop!"

Teal'c yelled and knocked the bowl aside. The liquid spilt on the floor and began to steam, burning at the granite. Angry eyes turned towards the woman but she merely shrugged.

"Fine. We do this the hard way."

Shocked that she had spoken English, they had no time to react as she grabbed Daniel and faced him. Something black and volatile shot out of her mouth and into his open mouth. He screamed and SG1 were literally frozen in place. But Sam couldn't let him suffer and she escaped her 'bonds' charging towards the witch and knocking her to the ground. But it was too late. The woman was dead.

Daniel groaned weakly and Sam leapt to his aid, placing gentle fingers to his closed eyes.

"Daniel? Speak to me!"

"I'm here, stop fretting."

Daniel forced himself up and opened his eyes. They were red, burning with the intensity of the Defiant. Sam was mesmerised by the flickering light.

"Master, I serve you."

Daniel smiled slowly and his eyes flashed. Sam blinked rapidly and helped him to his feet. He gazed around him, taking in the surroundings as if he hadn't seen them before. When he was satisfied that all was how he wanted, he clapped his hands once, jolting Jack and Teal'c from their state of shock back into activity again.

"Daniel........." Jack started. "Whoah! What happened to you?"

"Nothing that you need concern yourself with." He spat at the ground. "Servant."

"Daniel, what's got into you?"

"An interesting question. One that I will take pleasure in revealing to you, whilst you suffer at my feet."

"I do believe that Daniel Jackson has been possessed O'Neill, but not by a Goa'uld. I have seen this happen many times during my service to Apophis."

"Ok. Ok. Let me get this straight. Daniel has been possessed. By what? Her?" Jack pointed to the body on the ground.

"It does indeed seem likely. Major Carter, are you not well?"

Sam glanced up towards Daniel, seeking permission to speak in his presence. It was granted. "I am fine Teal'c, nothing that you need concern yourself with."

Jack stared. "Did you hear that?"

"It seems as if Major Carter has also been affected by this possession. I am guessing by a similar entity to that which has taken Daniel Jackson."

"I don't think so," said Jack. "Daniel...whoever you are, what have you done with Carter?"

"I could hear her spirit. It was calling out to me. She likes having someone take total control over her life, so I have done just that. Servant, bind them."

So, Sam picked up a kind of net and held it towards Jack and Teal'c. They both stepped forward towards her, trying to make her understand. Sam's determined stare faltered for a moment, but then a word from Daniel meant she tied them up with a speed and strength far too powerful to just be her own.

Daniel laughed, before nodding to Sam. She sat down on the ground and let him tie her up too, offering no resistance to his supernatural gaze.

As if having second thoughts, he released her binds and drew her up, as if she was attached to his fingertips.

"Yes, Master?"

"Perform Atak'dor and untie them. Our work must be cleansed!"

Jack stared at Daniel and Sam, wondering which military manual contained guidelines on 'evil alien possession'. Surely none he'd ever read. Sam started to sprinkle some kind of herb over them, making slow and swaying, hypnotic movements. She was humming to herself, as she moved around. Suddenly, Jack felt very faint and he passed out, as he felt Teal'c slump behind him.

~

"Jack! Wake up!"

Jack got up clutching his head, wondering why he had a killer hangover. Daniel's clear blue eyes stared at his and he smiled.

"What do you remember?"

"Um...you collapsing and then Teal'c stopping the witch. Then...uh...nothing."

Daniel frowned slightly and beckoned to Sam.

"She knocked you out with something. It was pretty powerful; you've been out for most of the day."

"Oh well, as long as I'm back now. So, how ya feeling Daniel? She got you messed up pretty bad too."

"I'm fine you know. What doesn't kill me only makes me stronger."

"That's the ticket, Danny. So how about we get back to the Stargate and allow Dr. Frasier to run some delightful tests on us in the infirmary."

Daniel paused for a moment, as if that thought had never occurred to him and feeling a sudden wave of pain, he clutched his hand to his forehead. But he brushed it off and helped Jack up, nodding his agreement.

"Are you sure you are all right Daniel Jackson, you appear to still have a pain in your head?"

"Don't worry Teal'c, it's nothing that you need concern yourself with." Daniel stepped forward and dialled up Earth on the DHD, Sam sending through the GDO signal.

Jack stopped and stared. Something isn't right here. Yes, I know what isn't right, me standing here asking irrelevant questions to myself, but something's wrong. I just have no idea what it is. Maybe I have concussion or something? Maybe I really did get drunk? Maybe..........

"Jack?"

Daniel's voice cut across his thoughts. Sam and Teal'c had already stepped through the Stargate. Putting it all down to his headache, Jack walked through as well. He failed to notice the look Daniel gave him and he failed to notice that, just for a second, Daniel's eyes glowed red.

~

Sam smiled at the general, before heading for the showers. The guys were going to the infirmary, she knew that. Then, she would go, after her shower, and then she would go to Daniel's room. No alarm bells rung for her; as far as she was concerned this was how it had always been and always would be. 'Oh my Master, how shall I serve thee?' ringing from her lips day after day filled her with an exquisite pleasure she had never felt before. This was how it was meant to be, and how she wanted it to be.

She showered quickly, almost eager to run and do her Master's bidding. Then, she practically bounded into the infirmary, where she passed Jack and Teal'c on their way out. Daniel was sitting on a gurney, swinging his legs and she approached. He smiled at her, and his eyes flashed red once. She sat beside him on the gurney, drawn to his immense presence.

And that was how Janet found them, sitting in silence on the same gurney. Well, something's going on here. Janet was suspicious by nature and she hadn't missed the flickering glances they sent to each other every few seconds whenever they came to the infirmary. And, one night, Sam had practically admitted her love for the man. It was absurd how they kept avoiding the issue.

"Well, Daniel, everything's fine. Oh, but your blood work shows a slight abnormality..."

Daniel raised his hand, beams of light shooting from his fingertips.

"Everything is fine. You will forget anything is astray. You will assume that I am your God, and treat me thus."

Janet barely nodded, before Daniel left the room quickly. Janet's eyes clicked back into focus and she blinked at Sam.

"Well, we should get going on your tests."

~

Daniel sat by his desk, fingers steepled in front of his face. Soon, the universe shall be mine. There was a knock on the door and Sam entered, head bowed low. She shut the door behind her, before prostrating herself before him.

"You have done well for a mere human." Daniel's statement was cold and full of discontent.

But Sam barely registered this, the words were all she needed to hear to send her into this dream of unquavering ecstasy. "You honour me Master, with your kindness."

"That is nothing. Others here are rejecting my presence amongst them. They need convincing. The Atak'dor must have failed."

"That cannot be so. No pure spirit could refuse to bow before you."

"Then they are not pure. They are not worthy to serve my purpose. See to them."

~

Jack stood totally still, one ear pressed up against the door of Daniel's office. He could hardly fail to notice that something was wrong with him and Sam and this conversation had proved it. Daniel was definitely not himself, it was as if he was possessed somehow and Sam had fallen under his spell.

Now he knew that he could not rely on her for back up, Jack hurried off in search of Teal'c. If he, Jack O'Neill could resist Daniel's spell, then he was certain Teal'c could. Teal'c symbiot, for all Jack hated it, had come in very useful. For one thing alone, at least one member of SG1 would not be susceptible to whatever disease they encountered next. With obvious exceptions....

~

Sam came through the door, and saw Jack O'Neill's departing figure. She backed slowly towards her Master, who placed his hands around her waist, leaning towards her ear.

"What did he hear?"

"I should say most of it, Master."

"Then, we must leave."

Sam closed the door, as they backed into the room and Daniel drew a short knife. Cutting a slit into his palm and into hers, he pressed them together.

"Forever bound by blood, whatever one thinks the other shares. We shall know each other into eternity, Beloved. Into Eternity."

Sam repeated the words slowly, feeling unique energy coursing into her. Then, Daniel took his hand away and took a simple teleportation device out of his pocket. Activating it, they were drawn away in a flash of light.

~

Jack had had a pretty hard time convincing General Hammond that something was up with Daniel and Sam. Hammond was considering ordering Jack be put under house arrest for even suggesting that Daniel was possessed. Teal'c however, with his even, steady presence, assured the General that Jack was suffering from the blow to the head he received. He promised to make sure Jack did nothing else to hinder normal base life. Though what was considered normal could have been anyone's guess. Teal'c and Jack went straight then to Daniel's office, figuring that at least there they could try to find some answers.

"Teal'c?" Jack voiced a concern he had been harbouring for some time now. "Do you think Daniel's been acting differently?"

"I have indeed noticed a change in Daniel Jackson's behaviour, O'Neill. It also seems to have affected most other personnel in this facility."

"So I'm not the only one. But why us?"

"It is logically an effect of what transpired on P4T 505."

Jack voiced another concern of his. "What did exactly happen on P4T something, something, something?"

"I have no recollection O'Neill. Someone, most probably Daniel Jackson had caused us to forget the occurrences there."

"So what do we do?"

"We find them."

Teal'c forcefully shoved open the door. It was noticeably absent of people but rather alarming, blood was splattered over the floor. Not too much, but enough to make one Colonel Jack O'Neill feel increasingly edgy about the situation.

"If we asked Frasier we could find out whose it is." It was obvious what Jack meant.

"It is likely that Dr. Frasier has also been compromised."

Teal'c had a point. "Well it looks like it is up to us. What do you suggest we do now?"

Teal'c's voice had no hesitation. "We must go back to P4T 505."

~

Sam and Daniel materialised in the centre of a dark room, Daniel still firmly holding Sam's waist.

"We are here, Beloved. Lights!"

A spotlight clicked on above them, and the room was flooded with bright, white light. It was richly furnished with drapes, cushions and reclining couches, all covered with silken cloth. Daniel sat on one of the couches, admiring Sam more than ever before.

"You are most beautiful, Beloved. You should change. The room is that way."

Sam bowed and walked into the room. Daniel lay back on the couch, wondering what the other Tau'ri were doing. This was a trial run of his dormant power, set back since his defeat five years ago. He had hoped that the ones called O'Neill and Teal'c had not remained stubborn but it was obvious they would now try and rescue their 'friends'.

Daniel laughed out loud at that. He knew the Tau'ri would never stop him and now that he had a Beloved...

"What do you think, Master?"

Daniel looked up and smiled. Sam smoothed down the front of her provocatively-cut dress. It was a deep purple and had removed curves between her bust and her hips. It flared dramatically from the waist and had a ragged hem. The neck was shaped like a 'V' and the dress had several suggestive slits sewn in for effect.

"You are most pleasing, Beloved. Now, to tell you who I am."

Daniel held up a hand and Sam knelt slowly, staring up into his eyes. Suddenly, Daniel's eyes glowed and his voice began to echo.

#You believed us dead but we am alive. We, the most powerful of the gods, make you our queen. You will rule beside us, and call us by name...#

Sam's gaze never wavered as Daniel made his revelation:

#We are Ra!#

~

As the rest of the base still seemed to be influenced by Daniel, even though he'd left, Jack and Teal'c made their way to the Gate room without telling anyone of their plans. They reached the central computers, with Teal'c activating them. Jack thought he'd really have to listen to those planet designations someday. Jack decided to open the blast doors, to check no soldiers were lurking there. As he did so, he caught a flash of white hurrying across the room, as if wishing to remain undetected. Jack called out over the system.

"This is Colonel Jack O'Neill. Stop and identify yourself."

"Colonel?" It was a woman's voice, sounding confused and lost.

"Identify yourself."

"I believe it is Dr. Frasier," added Teal'c. "But what is she carrying?"

"Dr. Frasier, stay there. We will come and assist you."

Jack and Teal'c rushed down into the Gate room, leaving the computers online and ready for a quick dial out once they'd got back up there.

"Colonel," Janet burst into tears and sat down on the ramp. "It was awful. I could see what he was doing to Sam and everyone. I knew something was wrong, but I couldn't say or do anything. It was like someone was controlling me somehow. I tried to stop it, but I couldn't. And I was about to... about to...."

"About to what?"

She pointed to the box she was holding. "He told me to destroy the Stargate. He told me how to make a bomb. And I was going to use it."

"But you didn't. That's the important thing. Now we're going back to the planet where this happened. I want you to stay here and make sure no-one else is going to try and blow up the Gate."

Teal'c headed back up to initiate the final part of the dialling sequence.

"I want to come with you Colonel."

"Negative Doctor. You have been affected by this. Why don't you head up to your lab and try and find out what's going on."

"You always say that. I want to go. Colonel, I'd be more help there than here."

"I don't know. You've already shown yourself to have been compromised, what if it's just an act."

"Then I'll blow up the Gate after you leave."

"OK, Doc I'm really not happy about this but I'm going to take you with us."

Janet nodded slightly pathetically and Jack was growing increasingly suspicious. But then, if you'd found out you had been about to blow up the Gate, you would be a little upset as well. Jack thought it all over for the best part of five seconds and grabbed Janet's hand tightly.

The wormhole engaged and Teal'c returned, holding a very strange-looking device.

"Whatcha got?"

"This device will interfere with the iris activation should anyone try to close the iris after our departure."

"Where the hell did you get that?"

"Major Carter and Daniel Jackson spent their last holiday building it, O'Neill."

"Last holiday? Why the..."

"Your profanities will not aid us, O'Neill."

Jack swore he would have words with Sam and Daniel as soon as he found them. Assuming you find them, O'Neill.

Jack wouldn't even consider the possibility.

~

Sam propped herself on the couch, as her Master fussed around his console. He smiled happily before turning back to her.

#Soon we shall rule the universe, my queen#

"Soon we shall, Master."

Ra smiled at her, wishing she would follow him willingly. But, no; that would take years of service before he could release her. The spirit he admired her most greatly for was the one thing that meant she would rebel against his command. He could not focus enough of his power into crushing her soul at the moment. That could come later. There were more important things that needed to be done.

~

On P4T 505, the very air was filled with a sense of evil and foreboding. Many of the peaceful aliens lay dead, their ice-blue blood scattered everywhere, defiling the ceremonious and holy ground that was the chamber around the Stargate. Some had survived this long though. Several with mortal wounds, a scattering with minor injuries and fewer still appeared to be completely unharmed. The youngest lay crying amongst the bodies of their elders, the harassed individuals still standing offering meaningless words of support and comfort.

Janet struggled against the tight grip Jack had on her soldier. It was her job, her life, her instinct to help those people survive, but even she knew that nothing could save them now. Teal'c found his composure was deserting him, so he turned away, scanning the area for signs of who had committed these atrocities. He knew in his heart, that it was probably done using the form of Daniel Jackson, and he vowed to find his friend and release him from whatever had been done. Major Carter was also at risk here, as were the staff of the SGC and the people of Earth. They could not be allowed to fall just as the Goa'uld were beginning to be destroyed. Teal'c would not let them.

He walked amongst the aliens, ignoring the cries and screams of those still alive, looking for an anomaly in the pattern of destruction. He found it too. Most of the aliens had died from what appeared to be a weapon of Goa'uld origin, but one or two had died from bullets from Major Carter's gun. He and O'Neill had returned with all their ammunition supplies in tact, and Daniel Jackson was not permitted to carry a weapon of such devastating power. It had to be her. He knelt down, rolling the bodies until their faces pointed towards him. The sight filled him with revulsion, but he knew what he was doing was important. He looked closer. Smeared on their faces with their own blood was a symbol. A very powerful symbol. An eye, the Eye of Ra.

~

Teal'c checked again. He knew he had very good eyesight, but on this one occasion, he felt it was best to look twice. His news confirmed, he rose in order to inform O'Neill of his discovery, but before he left, he honoured the aliens with a traditional Jaffa bow of respect. The living aliens acknowledged this and were grateful. It may not have taken much, but to them it meant a lot, knowing that others were aware of their suffering and pain.

Teal'c had often heard the story of how Daniel and O'Neill had defeated Ra. He much preferred it when Daniel Jackson told the story; it always seemed a lot more believable then. The Colonel's version of events was even more farfetched than the true one, particularly when it came to his own personal bravery and heroics. But the mark was there, he couldn't deny it. Teal'c just hoped O'Neill wouldn't deny it too long either.

~

"I believe I have found out who is possessing Daniel Jackson."

"Anyone we know?"

"Indeed it is. It is Ra, or at least an imitator of him."

"What the hell? Sorry, Teal'c, but we killed Ra."

Teal'c had known Jack would deny it. He would just have to persuade him. It was times like these he wished he had Daniel Jackson' s powers of persuasion. What expression had O'Neill used? That Daniel could sell coal to Newcastle? Teal'c had not heard of that particular System Lord but was sure that whatever coal was, Daniel Jackson would sell it.

"O'Neill, did you see Ra die with your own eyes?"

Jack was about to reply 'of course' when he realised that wasn't the case at all. He hadn't seen Ra die; he hadn't even seen the bomb land anywhere near Ra. He had just seen a massive explosion in the sky, which may or may not have included Ra.

That thought struck a devastating blow. When the General had asked him about Ra, he had been certain that they had killed him. The stranger in the Gate room was no more Ra, than he was Aristotle. But I could've been so wrong...

"No, I didn't. Say you were right, though. What on earth does Ra want with Daniel and Carter?"

~

Ra was trying to work. But even gods have their weaknesses and he found his mind was continually torn back to the gorgeous woman stretched out on the couch before him. It was just too distracting. Against his instincts, he decided to send her away. They could enjoy their time together afterwards.

#Go now. We will send for you later#

Sam stood up, rather regretfully, smoothing her hair. "Why, my Master, do you honour me so? I am only a pitiful woman and you....well you are a god." She stepped towards him, her smile enticing.

Ra promised himself he would make amends for his one and only fault. But later. #We have reigned over more planets than we could count, but on all those worlds, there were no women like you. Your beauty is like no other, your spirit so pure, so longing to be crushed, but most of all your knowledge prizes you far above the rest#

"What knowledge, my Lord? I am most willing to share it."

#Of course you are, Beloved. We need to know about the Tau'ri. About their strengths, their weaknesses and finally how to torment their souls for eternity, until they beg at our feet for a long and painful death#

"Why? What did my people do that could have angered you so much? Surely no one act could harm such a great one as yourself."

#This spirit. This wretched, righteous spirit that was the life of my present host, put hope into the hearts of my slaves and lost their devotion to us. He planted doubt in their previous unquestioning minds until they no longer bowed before us. For this we hate him, but it is also the means by which we will destroy all others like him.#

"What happened to you?"

#Do not ask questions of us. You forget your place. But we will tell you. You might have to know. We crept into the body of one of the children who still honoured us. The child served our purpose and allowed us access to the Stargate before our host had a chance to bury it. We lived amongst our former people until we came to the planet your people call P4T 505. There we took the body of a witch and waited until such a chance as this came along#

"Nothing as certain as this is chance, Master. It is truly destiny."

#We do not believe in destiny, Beloved. Everything that happens is our will. Everything that happens will be ours#

~

Teal'c and Jack headed for the witch's room, hoping for answers. They knew they couldn't head back to Earth, for fear of being overrun by Daniel's, or now Ra's, possessed 'followers'. They had left Janet to help the injured that she could, just to shut her up. Jack was convinced she was still working for Daniel. But right now, that wasn't his concern. He was more worried about Sam. There had been blood in Daniel's quarters, and it most likely belonged to her.

"Teal'c, look around for clues. We need to know where to start searching."

Jack realised the impossibility of their task. Without access to the SGC's equipment, personnel or computers there was next-to-no chance that they could find Daniel and Sam, and stop whatever devastating plan Ra had for the universe. For Jack was not such an optimist as to believe that Ra was just going to lay low. Oh no, there would be trouble soon.

"I have found something, O'Neill."

Jack ran over, and stared at the mess. He picked out what Teal'c had immediately and picked it up immediately. It was a Tok'ra communicator, and Jack wasted no time activating it...

~

Sam heard an incessant buzzing and quickly located the source. A strange device, which she quickly identified as a communicator, was sitting on the table. Sam picked it up and flicked it open.

"Carter? That you?"

Sam cocked her head slightly, staring at the mini-picture in the sphere. It was someone she vaguely recognised as 'authority' and she bowed her head.

"Are you a friend of the Great Lord Ra?"

She watched the man glance backwards, before turning back.

"Yeah, Carter. But you can't tell him we're coming. It's gonna be a surprise."

Sam smiled. Yes, Master would like that.

"As you wish, Great Commander. You know the Fleet's current location?"

"Remind me, Carter."

"Quad 4-9-3."

Sam closed the sphere smartly, happy in herself. If the man was genuine, he would understand what she had told him. But if he was an impostor, well, he would never know where the Fleet was.

#Samantha? Come quickly#

Sam smiled happily and went to wait on her Master.

~

"Teal'c? Any idea where Quad 4-9-3 is?"

"I have never heard of such a place O'Neill."

Janet had been listening to their conversation, patching up the aliens closest to them.

"Oh, so you're going to visit Ra then?"

Jack turned on her immediately. "How do you know Ra is there?"

"It stuck in my mind, I think. From when he brainwashed me sir."

"Do you know where it is?"

"Uh..yes. I mean no. I mean.. possibly?"

"Well Janet, you've just found the perfect way to prove you're on our side now. Take us to Ra, but do not let him know we are coming."

"What is it that you are planning to do?" Teal'c asked.

Jack hadn't really thought about that. His main concern had been finding Daniel and Carter. He hadn't figured out what he'd do once he was there. "We'll just have to play it by ear Teal'c."

The Jaffa in question pondered upon that. He had never had to play anything with his ear before, but decided now was not the time to question O'Neill about its meaning.
"Will we be departing shortly?"

"As soon as the Doc's figured out how to get us there."

Janet swallowed, rather nervously Jack thought. "We can get there by Stargate, I think I can remember the symbols."

"Good. Cause otherwise, wherever we're going, you're going too." And he turned back towards the Gate, leaving Janet trailing behind.

~

#Come, Beloved#

Sam walked in, hips swinging rather provocatively. Ra could now see why his host found this woman so attractive. He had finished his work and the Fleet was now moving. He was well aware of his Beloved's communication and knew that she only meant to be helpful. She was very special indeed. And very tempting.
The Stargate address was now ineffective. Ra smiled at the ingenious nature of his plan. And, if he was feeling particularly bored, he could always transport the Stargate out of the ship. A long, slow death in space. No, not nearly cruel enough.

"You called, Master?"

Ra smiled at her, and moved to his reclining couch. He sat down on it and let Samantha lie on top of him. She pressed her lips passionately to his, stirring deep emotions. Surely, the Mother of Pharaohs could kiss no better. He slid his hand onto the back of her neck, deepening the kiss. He felt his temperature rise, and his pulse begin to race. Ra briefly broke the kiss, sliding his hand across his Beloved's waist.

#Perhaps we should continue...elsewhere?#

~

Sam followed her Master into his personal chamber, his hand clamped firmly around her. She airily strode beside him, scorning the pitiful slaves who had presented her with fine perfumes earlier on, How would they know how to please my Master? She would do whatever he asked of her, and right now what he was asking was not a chore, merely a pleasure.

Ra grabbed her face firmly, pulling her down with him onto the bed. Samantha offered no resistance, right now she was in heaven.

~

Ooh heaven, do you know what that's worth?
Ooh heaven is a place on Earth.
They say in heaven, love comes first,
Ooh heaven is a place on Earth.

Sam woke up, those annoying words filtering through her mind again and again. She could not recall how she knew them, only that they meant something to her. That they should mean something to her now. She puzzled over it, trying to remember. Heaven? Earth? She made the connection. Earth is where she should be. Earth was her home. No matter what her Master said. She could not leave her people behind. Not willingly anyway. She glanced to her side, and such powerful emotions hammered into her. The man in front of her slept soundly, presenting an angelic visage. She trailed her fingers lovingly down his face, thinking of the consuming love she felt for him. Suddenly, his eyes were open and a frown creased his delicate features.

"Have I displeased you, Master?"

Sam was all of a panic; what had she done wrong?

#You no longer believe#

Sam clapped a hand to her mouth, as Ra dragged a strange device from the table beside him. He placed it gently on her head and it began to hum. Sam felt a wave of pleasure flood through her, washing away any thought of 'Earth'. As for Heaven...

"Master, I live to serve."

The words were delicious on her tongue, thrilling the every fibre of her being. Ra smiled, as she melted back into his embrace.

~

"What is wrong with this BLOODY thing?"

Jack thumped the DHD again, getting increasingly angry. Janet had buried herself in Teal'c arms, afraid of the enraged Colonel.

"Your methods are proving ineffective, O'Neill."

"Thankyou Teal'c. Just what I needed to hear." Jack stormed away from Janet and Teal'c, his bitter frustration radiating off him.

When he had apparently calmed down again, he started his previous hobby of questioning Janet. "You knew this would happen didn't you?"

"No sir. I was sure the Gate would work."

"Perhaps Ra provided false information for you Dr. Frasier."

"But he wouldn't..."

"But nothing Doc. He's a Goa'uld. He's in Daniel, for crying out loud. He'd never lead us right to him. Even Daniel alone is smart enough to figure that one out."

"Perhaps Daniel Jackson was 'smart enough' to leave a message for us himself."

"We'd have seen it then Teal'c. Daniel isn't the most subtle of people."

"With no disrespect Colonel, neither are you."

O'Neill turned on Frasier. "Now you keep quiet. You're probably still in his service anyway."

"How can I prove to you that I'm not?"

"You can't. But you've given us plenty of reasons not to trust you. But that's not the point. We're stuck. What the hell are we supposed to do now?"

~

Ra had never felt pleasure like it. The woman in his arms was like liquid silk, teasing him with her implications. He had forgotten his position, his conquest; his thoughts were only of her.

"Master, the night grows cold."

Sam shivered slightly, as the air filter's light breeze caressed her skin. Ra pulled her closely, and heat flowed through her in its intensity.

"Thank you, Lord Ra."

Ra looked over the beautiful woman before him, knowing he needed a queen. However, Hathor was lost forever and breeders weren't common. A human woman was needed, and there was no risk of a Harseisus. Even though he could detect a faint presence from her, there was nothing to be afraid of. He would make Samantha his queen. But Samantha wasn't the name of a queen...

#Samantha, you need a title. To show our...love for you#

The very thought sent a thrill up her spine. A name from Ra himself? What could be better!

"Oh Master, you honour me with your attention."

#You are indeed a lucky woman. We shall name thee...Phoenix. Yes, very appropriate. Do you know of the Phoenixes?#

"Reborn in fire, representing 'eternity' and 'rebirth'"

Ra nodded with respect.

#Yes. You herald our new rule over the Universe. Through our Phoenix we shall be great once more!#

~

Apophis heard the news and laughed. Evilly. He had planted a traitor Jaffa within Ra's ranks. This Jaffa relayed everything he knew about Ra's rebirth to his Master, Apophis. So, the old devil had found himself a new host. One Daniel Jackson no less. For Apophis did indeed know everything that went on in his enemy's fleet. He also knew about the actions of Samantha Carter, that she too was now loyal to Ra, although she had not been given a Goa'uld symbiot. Therefore she was just a woman, a Tau'ri woman, but a mere human none the less. But Ra had always had a major weakness. One that Apophis vowed he would never give into again. He knew too well how treacherous a woman could be, but Ra just found them distracting.

Apophis called for his first Prime to enter and issued orders to take the most direct route to the current location of Ra's ships. Apophis realised he needed more vessels if he was going to challenge the System Lords, he also knew whose he would be able to take.

~

Sam had slipped from her Master's grasp, stealing into the night. She was freezing cold and needed some decent clothes. Her night with Ra had been most...pleasurable, her attraction to his host making things a whole lot easier. She ignored the voice screaming in her mind that this was all wrong, and moved towards her wardrobe. She dressed quickly, before something caught her eye. Pulling out the green jacket, a flood of emotion rushed through her. She fingered the patch carefully, wondering about the connection she had with it. The hieroglyphs were very strange, oddly shaped. S-G-1. She knew they held some hidden meaning but she couldn't...quite...

A bulky shadow filled the room, and Sam looked up to the view screen. A pyramid ship was spread across the window and Sam screamed. She hit the alert button and sent out a quick message across the tannoy. She knew whose ship it was...

"Alert! Apophis attacks us! Apophis is coming!"

~

The attack was over before it had begun. Sam had stood in the control room as it had been destroyed around her. A beam had knocked her flat, and she was trapped. She had fallen into unconsciousness soon after.

Sam awoke to the sounds of harsh Goa'uld tones. She couldn't make out the words, but she knew that one of the arguing voices belonged to her Master.

The rowing showed no signs of stopping, and the pain was getting worse. She struggled to turn her head and saw the pool of her own blood that she had been lying in. Instinctively she yelled out, her cry a mixture of surprise and fear.

Ra strode over to her, raising the beam with relative ease, strength not being a problem for him. He saw the crumpled form of his Phoenix, his little bird with both wings broken, and for an instant the harsh cruel expression of Ra was gone, replaced with one more reminiscent of Daniel. Forgetting about Apophis for the moment, he picked up her fragile body and left the room, heading directly for his sarcophagus. Opening it, he laid her down, as a mother would her child, a single tear falling down his cheek.

Apophis was inwardly rejoicing, but as he had never expected to fail, his victory was as yet guaranteed. But he'd never expected it to be this easy. He had found the weakness of both Ra, and probably that of his host as well. Today was a great day for the empire of Apophis, and he was going to broadcast it to the entire universe.

~

"O'Neill, we are receiving a message."

Jack turned around quickly, hurrying over to Teal'c. They had been searching Ra's tent, having nowhere to go and nothing better to do. They had quickly found a disused Tel'tac. However, with no destination, it wasn't doing them much good. But now, Teal'c was receiving a message on one of the consoles.

"It is from Apophis."

Apophis' face appeared on the screen, and Jack almost dragged Teal'c away from the console. The Jaffa just smiled.

"It is a pre-recorded message, O'Neill. He will not see us."

"Is it directed at us?"

Teal'c shook his head.

"It is a universal message."

Jack did a double-take, as he realised Teal'c meant that quite literally.

#Kree, fellow System Lords. This message is to inform you of my glorious victory over the traitor, Ra. He is now in my possession...#

"Teal'c! Track that damn signal!"

The Jaffa drummed his fingers steadily across the console, and nodded triumphantly.

"I have it!"

"Then set the course!"

#...his Phoenix is also with me, the only surviving member of the murderous SG1...#

Everyone looked up at that, exchanging knowing looks.

"Well folks; we're..."

"Don't say it!"

Teal'c and Janet practically shouted at him, but Jack just grinned.

"We're off to see the Wizard!"

~

However glamorous Jack made it out to be, visiting Apophis was never one of his favourite things to do. And despite his sarcasm, he was seriously, seriously worried. The entire SGC was probably under the influence of Ra, who was inhabiting Daniel, who was probably dead, or suffering extreme torture. He was heading into enemy territory with only Teal'c, (who was as good as a whole platoon) and a doctor who he couldn't trust. Furthermore, Sam was also held prisoner by Apophis, and given her current state of mind, Jack had no idea what she might do. Apophis' words were lingering in his mind though. The only surviving member... so he thought he and Teal'c were as good as dead. Well that had happened before. But, what about Daniel? Surely, Ra would have been kept alive, or been put in the sarcophagus several times by now. Which everyone knew was not a good thing. And Sam? Surviving member for how long? And what kind of a name was Phoenix anyway? Jack knew it was desperate, but he also knew that he had to try.

~

Teal'c could tell O'Neill was worried. Teal'c himself was, but he had had more practice at hiding it. He tried to remain calm for the sake of his friends, knowing especially that O'Neill relied on it, just as he relied on Daniel Jackson's ability to get into trouble. Unfortunately, this time the damage was far worse that a wound or bruise. He also feared for the safety of Major Carter and his compatriots at the SGC. However, although Teal'c did not worship the Goa'uld any more, he still respected something...fate perhaps? If they were to die, they would die well. If not, then they must be thankful for their chance to save the Tau'ri and all Jaffa still enslaved, both in body and in mind.

~

Janet could feel that something wasn't right. That she shouldn't be there. That she had a more important duty, a calling. She shuddered; maybe she was still loyal to the Goa'uld. That thought chilled her to the very depths of her soul. She had been born free and she would die free when she had to. It felt as if she was just waking up to the universe, as if a veil had been lifted from her sight. Janet was confident that everything would go well. What would the world come to with no SG1?

~

Sam woke to suffocating darkness. She screamed loudly, and a slit of light appeared above her. Then, it widened to a gap and further to let her get out of the...sarcophagus? She leapt straight of it, instinctively knowing it was bad for her. She looked around the room wildly, finding another sarcophagus. This one had a clear top, though. And her beloved Ra was inside it. She hammered on it relentlessly but nothing happened.

#You cannot help him#

Sam turned round quickly, facing the murderous Apophis. She wanted to tear him apart, crush him but some sense of right-and-wrong held her back.

"Why have you captured my Ra?"

Apophis studied the beautiful queen before him, knowing what a sub-servant creature he could make of her. And Ra's current host could do well as his own, especially if the 'Defiant' rumour was true.

#Because I want his power. And I want his host. Look what fortune has done! Now, I have you as well#

Sam shuddered slightly, half-afraid and half-awed. Was she especially blessed? Did Gods want wives such as she? Or, did Apophis merely want a slave? The God moved towards Ra's sarcophagus and passed his hand over the top. It slid open easily. Apophis pinned the Goa'uld down with his hand, while taking a strange metal device in his other hand. All Sam could do was watch, as Apophis pressed it to Ra's mouth. Suddenly, a black symbiot shot out onto the floor. Apophis smiled and bent over Daniel. He made a strange gagging sound before a green Goa'uld shot straight into Daniel's mouth. The archaeologist choked a little, before his eyes glowed. Apophis' ex-host fell to the floor quickly, and the black symbiot dived into his neck. The host's eyes glowed and Ra jumped up. Apophis leapt out of his sarcophagus, and stood firmly. Sam began to panic. She saw the ribbon device on the floor, but didn't know which one to shoot. Her beloved Ra, or her beloved Daniel? She raised her hand and felt the device power. She shut her eyes and let it blast. She opened them, and found both System Lords lying on the ground. Sam collapsed to the floor, tears streaming down her cheeks.

~

Just then, Teal'c burst into the room, followed by Jack and Janet. He was breathing heavily, she was looking flushed. Seeing both the prone forms of Daniel and Apophis on the floor and Sam stuck between the two, Jack immediately took action. Grabbing Teal'c's Zat gun, he fired twice on who he thought was Apophis. He glanced at Teal'c, who nodded his approval, and then fired the final shot that would disintegrate his nemesis Apophis forever. Sam cried out, an agonising heartfelt scream, and pulled a long ornamental knife from her waistband. "I will serve you even in the afterlife, Master."

Knowing what she was about to do, Janet leapt forward and wrestled the knife from Sam's grasp.

"I know it's hard Sam, but you've got to fight it. He's gone now. There's no need to be anybody except yourself."

Sam bowed her head, as if praying, before straightening up again. "Jack? Teal'c?" she smiled. Her gaze fell upon the figure on the floor. "Daniel?"

"Isn't he 'Ra'?" Jack asked.

"No, you just killed Ra. Daniel's now..." she broke off. "Daniel's now Apophis."

"What?!"

"I didn't want to believe it, but I can feel it in him. I can tell it's there."

"And is there any way out of this mess?"

"He... Apophis used a strange device. It forced the Goa'uld out of Daniel, so he could take over himself. Ra then jumped into Apophis' old host to avoid death."

"Would it not then be possible to activate this device again and remove Apophis from Daniel Jackson?"

"It should be Teal'c. But once he's out, someone's going to have to squash him like the insignificant worm that he is."

"Daniel!"

Everyone whirled round, to face 'Daniel'. His eyes flashed once and he fled out of the door. Jack sprinted after him but with Daniel's added symbiotic speed, Jack was no match. The super-human Daniel practically glided into the escape pod, and it launched within seconds. Jack cursed wildly, making no attempt to wipe away the frustrated tears streaming down his cheeks.

"God save ya, Danny."

~

Janet bent down beside the extremely distraught Sam.

"I lost my god, I lost my God; Janet, I LOST MY GOD!"

Janet was quite startled to say the least. A religious Sam was definitely freaky. She was muttering quietly, rocking herself back and forth on the floor. Then, Janet caught what she was saying.

"I lost Ra. I lost Daniel. Oh, my god and my love all at once!"

She burst into abundant tears and now Janet was seriously worried. Whatever had been influencing her had disappeared when Jack had shot Ra. It had taken all her self-restraint not to stop him but when Ra was finally dead, she had felt that a cloud had finally been lifted from over her. Then, Jack came back through the door, eyes slightly red. This really was a day for shocks. Janet had never seen the Colonel cry either.

"He's gone."

Sam looked up at Jack with an expression of such guilt and sorrow, that Jack cursed the Goa'uld to high-hell. What had Ra done to Sam? Sam curled back up in her ball, snivelling silently. Janet left her for a minute and went up to Jack, pulling him to one side.

"Sir, I'm not sure if this has anything to do with Ra. His influence over me has gone; I think this is to do with Daniel...."

"There's nothing we can do now, not really."

"I agree O'Neill the best course of action would be to return to the SGC. I presume it would be safe now."

"Sam, " Jack said gently, "We're going home."

"But we... but we... but Daniel..."

"There's nothing we can do from here. But as soon as we get back we'll start trying, I promise. We'll find him."

Sam shook her head fervently, "We have to... we have to....."

Janet moved over to support her friend. "It's best if we go. You have to believe we'll find him. Because nothing... nothing is going to stop us."

Sam reluctantly stood up and leant on Janet for support.

Unspoken, the orders were issued for them to return home. Nothing was said, but on that day, they all promised. They'd find Daniel and save him. There was no other acceptable alternative.

TO BE CONTINUED?

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Demon FaithandStephali