Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Only Child Syndrome 3

by Danjanshippyqueen
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Only Child Syndrome 3

Only Child Syndrome 3

by danjanshippyqueen

Title: Only Child Syndrome 3
Author: danjanshippyqueen
Email: danjanshippyqueen@hotmail.com
Category: Drama
Season: Season 5
Pairing: Daniel/Janet
Rating: PG-13
Warnings: none
Summary: The pitter patter of tiny feet doesn't sound like a good thing to Cassie.
Sequel to: Only Child Syndrome 2
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).

After registering the news that they were going to be parents, Janet and Daniel spent the day with huge grins plastered on their faces. This had got them a few strange looks from passing base personnel, and Jack in particular was curious to know what was going on.

"Ok Dannyboy." Jack said entering Daniel's lab. "What the hell is going on?"

"What?" Daniel asked looking up from his translation.

"You and the doc have been walking around like grinning idiots ever since she left that briefing this morning, and Carter's got that little twinkle in her eye that she gets when she knows something I don't, which granted is most of the time, but that's not the point. And now I find out you've requested to sit out of this mission."

"Janet's pregnant.....I'm going to be a dad." Daniel finally said, the grin returning to his face. Jack stood flabbergasted for a moment.

"Way to go Danny." He said walking over to him and slapping him on the back.

"Thanks Jack."

"So how's it feel?"

"It feels......great. I'm having a baby with the woman I love, I can't think of anything better."

"Ah, don't go all soft on us now. So is that why your sitting this one out?"

"That and Cassie." Daniel said unhappily.

"What's up with Cassie?" Jack asked, his concern for the girl evident.

"She's not taking to mine and Janet's relationship too well, I though I might have got through to her, but this is probably just going to make things worse.

"What do you mean, 'not taking to well'."

"She's being difficult, I mean, it's probably just a normal reaction to the change in circumstances but it's really bothering Janet, and I really don't want anything to upset her right now."

"Well you know, these things have a way of sorting themselves out." Jack said smiling.

"Yeah, so I've been told."

"I'm gonna request that SG-2 take the mission, we should celebrate."

"Are you sure?" Daniel asked, finding himself surprisingly touched by Jack's gesture.

"Sure, there are millions of planets out there, this is SG-1's first baby......well, since we've been a team anyway. We have to something to mark the occasion." Jack said decisively.

"Ok." Daniel said getting carried away by Jack's enthusiasm. "When?" He asked.

"Tonight?"

"Yeah.......oh wait a minute, we haven't told Cassie. We're not exactly sure how she's going to react."

"She'll be happy." Jack said backing out of Daniel's lab. "This is her first brother or sister......how could she not be." He said before turning to leave.

"I hope your right." Daniel muttered under his breath to himself.

He sat looking at his translation, a concentrated look on his face, like he had been when Jack had came in. He had yet to even start the translation but it look to anyone passing that he was engrossed in his work. He was in fact sitting thinking through all the possible ways that his next conversation with Cassie would go. Ninety-nine percent of the scenarios were ending with a screaming match between Janet and Cassie, zero point five of them in a screaming math between himself and Cassie, and the other zero point five had a happy ending. All in all it did not bode well. He sat thinking through all his options for nearly an hour before being interrupted by the phone.

"Daniel Jackson." He answered.

"Daniel, it's me, can you come to the infirmary?" He recognised Janet's voice straight away. Instantly, worry crept into his mind.

"Why, what's wrong? Are you ok?" He asked, his voice containing more than a hint of panic. She laughed gently as she spoke,

"I'm fine, stop worrying, I just want to show you something."

"Ok, I'll be right there." He said hanging up and running to the infirmary.

Daniel made it to the infirmary in record time, he was quite surprised to find it almost deserted, with no sign of Janet. It was doctor Warner that appeared,

"Doctor Jackson, if you'll follow me please." He said returning to the small examination room he had come from, Daniel cautiously followed him, worry once again creeping into his mind. He entered the room and was relieved to see Janet sitting still wearing the same smile as she had been earlier. Some of her shirt buttons were undone and the shirt itself was pulled to either side so as only to reveal her abdomen, from where he was standing Daniel could see that she had gel smeared across her stomach. He quickly put two and two together,

"Are you getting an ultrasound?" It was really more of a statement than a question, she nodded in response.

"I couldn't wait." She admitted guiltily. "We were pretty quiet up here and Bill offered, so........" She trailed off. Daniel took the vacant seat next to the examination table, opposite the monitor, Dr Warner moved the probe over Janet's stomach. Daniel nervously took her hand as the sound of their babies heartbeat became audible,

"There's the head." Warner pointed it out on the screen. "And an arm, and there's a leg." He pointed out each. "You're pretty far along, I'd say maybe......ten to twelve weeks."

"Are you sure?" Janet asked, eyes wide with shock,

"Pretty, of course I'm not a specialist in this field, but I'm almost certain." He smiled, "Everything looks normal to me, of course you'll be checked out more thoroughly when you go the hospital. I'll go get you a print out of this." He said, leaving the couple alone.

"Wow." Janet said. "I can't believe I never realised. I'm a doctor for god's sake." She half-joking, half-angry at herself.

"Yeah, but that doesn't make you infallible. At least you realised before you went into labour, I mean you hear stories about women who don't know until they're doubled up in agony." He said reassuringly,

"Yeah." She laughed half-heartedly. "I can't believe in six-months time we're going to have a baby." She said smiling.

"I know, it's incredible." He agreed, as she leaned over and grabbed some paper towels to wipe the gel off her stomach.

"It's just such a weird feeling to know that there's a little person growing inside me." She said as she wiped it off.

"I know.....in six months time, we'll have a little tiny baby, who'll depend on us for everything." Daniel said, feeling more than a little daunted.

"It's scary, but I know it'll be worth it." She said, redoing the buttons on her shirt. He smiled,

"Yeah...it will." He said, as she stood up, tucking her shirt in again. "Oh, Jack wants SG-1 to go out and celebrate tonight." He said remembering his earlier conversation.

"Oh." She said unenthusiastically.

"Do you not want to go?"

"No." She quickly clarified. "No, it's just....."

"Cassie." He finished her sentence for her.

"Yeah." She nodded.

"I know, but I've been thinking about it, when we tell her, she's going to react one of two ways, she'll be happy, and I think we both know the likely hood of that, or she be upset and angry. If she does do that, she'll probably end up starting an argument, and I don't want you to do anything to upset yourself just now, so it's probably best that we have somewhere else to be, right?" Janet thought over what he was saying carefully.

"I guess, but if we dump this on her an then run out of the house......."

"Well, I don't think we'll be going out until at least seven thirty. If we make sure we're home for five, that gives her at least two and half hours."

"I dunno Daniel.....this is pretty big."

"I just want to make sure you'll be ok, getting angry isn't going to anyone any good, lest of all you and the baby."

"If I am three months gone, I've been angry with her plenty of times since I've been pregnant." She said smiling at his mothering.

"Exactly, so you don't want to get yourself any more agitated than you already have been. I just want to look after you." He said closing the gap between them. "Both of you." He put his hand on her stomach. "And Cassie, but she's not making it very easy right now."

"I know. I'm sorry."

"It's not your fault."

"You didn't ask for any of this."

"She's comes as part of the package, I knew that coming into this relationship. I promise you, everything's going to be ok in the end, you'll see." He said putting his arms around her. Doctor Warner came back into the room, they jumped apart,

"Sorry."

"It's ok." Janet smiled,

"I just thought you'd want this right away." He said handing her the ultrasound picture.

"Thank you." Daniel said, the broad grin returning to his face.

"You're welcome." He said exiting the room. They both stood looking at the picture in Janet's hand,

"This is just.......amazing." Daniel said, lovingly looking at the photograph.

"I don't think I've ever felt so happy in my entire life." Janet was close to tears of joy.

"I know what you mean." He agreed, putting his arm around her as they waked out of the examination room.

They arrived at Janet's just after five, with plans to meet the rest of SG-1 at quarter to eight. Unsurprisingly, Cassie was in her room. They took a little time to get themselves comfortable, taking of their coats and shoes before Janet shouted for her to come down stairs. She came thundering down,

"What!"

"Honey, sit down for a minute, we have something to talk to you about." Janet said diplomatically, Cassie did as she was asked, sitting opposite Daniel and Janet.

"If it's about Daniel moving in, there's no point talking about it, he practically already lives here." Cassie tried to make a bit of an effort.

"Um.....I guess that kinda has something to do with it, but it's a little more than that." Janet hesitated to actually say the word for fear of starting WW III.

"What?" Cassie was confused now.

"Cassie......" She still hesitated, "I'm pregnant." She finally said, Cassie sat looking completely stunned.

"Oh." Was all she could say. There was an uneasy silence in the room.

"Sweetie are you ok?" Janet moved to sit next to her daughter, but Cassie flinched to her touch. Standing up and going to exit the room. "Cassie." Janet called after her, to her surprise Cassie actually looked round. "We're going out with Sam, Jack and Teal'c tonight, if you wanna come be ready for seven thirty." Cassie didn't acknowledge the invitation, simply walking out of the sitting room and back upstairs to her room. "Well, that went well." Janet said sarcastically.

Cassie declined from attending Jack's impromptu celebration, replying "What's to celebrate?" To Janet's enquiry of whether or not she was coming, Janet had refrained from telling Daniel she had said this, knowing that he would be angry at Cassie for upsetting her. They went out to dinner with Sam, Jack and Teal'c, enjoying a nice meal together before heading to a quiet bar that they frequented. Neither Janet nor Daniel discussed Cassie's reaction to the news, simply saying that she was going to need some time to adjust to the news. They had a great time with their friends, but never completely forgot about the trouble that was brewing at home.

At home, Cassie was on the phone again.

"Hey Tara, it's me."

"Oh hey Cass. What's up?" Tara asked cheerfully.

"My mom's pregnant." Cassie said unhappily. Tara ignored her tone,

"Cool, so you're gonna have a little brother or sister." She said excitedly.

"I guess." Cassie replied, still sounding dejected.

"And you've got an excuse to go buy tons of the little tiny baby clothes, this is so cool." She continued enthusiastically.

"I suppose."

"What's wrong?"

"Nothing."

"You don't sound happy about it."

"Would you be?"

"Yeah. I would to have a little baby in my house. Except for, eugh that would mean my mom and dad would still be.......eugh, I don't even want to think about that."

"Yeah, but that's just it, there not my mom and dad. There just two people who I'm completely unrelated to who are having a baby together."

"Ok, well I know you don't think of Daniel as your dad, but for as long as I've known you, Janet's always been your mom. I don't think anything would change that."

"You just don't get it, how could you, you're not adopted." Cassie snapped. There was a long silence as neither said anything. "Sorry." Cassie finally relented.

"It's ok."

"I'm not gonna stay here though, I can't. Not if there's going to be a baby around." She said resolutely.

"Cassie? What are you talking about?" Tara asked worriedly.

"Nevermind. It doesn't matter. Just forget I said anything, ok?"

"Yeah." Tara said, still worried about what her friend was planning.

For the next week or so, Cassie almost completely avoided them both. Janet tried everything with her, from begging and pleading with her to screaming and shouting at her, but nothing worked, she hardly got any reaction out of Cassie. But even this couldn't put a damper on Daniel and Janet's excitement about their impending arrival. Everyone had commented on how happy they both were, and it was difficult to find one without the other by there side. Although it was probably more true that Daniel was following Janet around being overprotective of her. Daniel was reluctant to leave her with Cassie to deal with, but he had no choice when SG-1's next mission came up, Janet insisted that he went. Telling him not to worry about her and that she'd be fine. They left at 16:00 for a six hour recon. mission. Janet's shift ended at 18:00, at which time she wearily returned home, not looking forward to another evening with Cassie, she already felt unwell. Almost as soon as she was in the door, the phone rang.

"Hello." She answered.

"Hi, Doctor Fraiser?" An unsure young voice asked.

"Is that you Tara?" Janet asked recognising the voice as Cassie's best friend.

"Yeah."

"Cassie's not in right now. You want me to give her a message?" Janet asked.

"Um no. It's kinda you I wanted to talk to." She hesitated.

"Is something wrong?" Janet tried to encourage her.

"It's about Cassie.......I think she's going to try to run away from home."

"What?" Janet asked, confused by what she was hearing.

"I don't know for sure, but it's just some of the things she's been saying, I'm pretty sure that's what she's planning. I figured I should tell you, cause you've got enough on your plate what with the baby and everything. She's been saying some really nasty things about you and Doctor Jackson and the baby. I just, I thought you should know." She said, feeling quite stupid.

"You did the right thing. Thank you, I don't think I could cope right now if she ran away." Janet said, admitting more than she meant to.

"I......I.....should probably go." Tara didn't know what else to say.

"Ok, and thank you again Tara." Janet hung up the phone, turning around feeling the anger boil up inside her. Cassie was making no effort to be part of the family and now she was going to try to run away from it. She sat down on the couch and waited for her to come from home.

Cassie arrived within about twenty minutes, which was not enough time for Janet to have cooled down completely. As soon as she was in the door, Cassie headed for the stairs, but Janet had other ideas.

"Cassandra. Get in here right now!" She yelled, getting up.

"What!" Cassie snapped in her usual tone.

"Sit down." She ordered. Cassie made no move to do as she was told. "Sit!" Janet shouted. Cassie made an exasperated song and dance out of slamming herself down. "I am sick and tired of this behaviour of your behaviour and your attitude. Daniel has done nothing but tried to make friends with you and all you've done is thrown it back in his face. I want to know what your problem is and I want to know NOW!" She said her voice getting louder as she spoke.

"I don't have a problem." She replied.

"Then why the hell are you acting like a complete bitch?"

"You've got a cheek to talk, ever since you found out about this stupid baby it's all you ever talk about." She shouted back.

"Oh god Cassie I'm sorry." She shouted sarcastically. "I didn't know that you weren't allowed to get excited about you're first baby."

"See there you go again. It's all about the baby, how it's your first."

"I said it was my first baby, not my first child, and it's not even about that. You've had this attitude ever since you found about me and Daniel." There voices were growing even louder.

"That's because ever since I found out about you two it like I'm invi-" She was cut off mid-sentence as Janet doubled over, crying out in pain. Her hand was protectively placed over her stomach, Cassie got a fright as she saw a trail of red run down Janet's legs. "Mom?" She asked hesitantly.

"Oh god." Janet said, seeing the blood. She looked up. "Cassie, call 911." Cassie did as she was told. Staying in the kitchen until the paramedics arrived. She didn't go with her Janet, ignoring her mother's calling out her name.

SG-1 returned a little behind schedule having made contact with some natives. They were all happy when they returned, the natives being friendly easy-going people with whom they were going to form an alliance. Returning through the gate, SG-1 was greeted by a sorrowful looking General Hammond, who was standing at the bottom of the ramp.

"Sir?" Jack queried. Hammond looked to Daniel,

"Son, I think you better get to the hospital." He said sadly,

"What is it?" Daniel asked panicking.

"You need to be there." He said evasively, not wanting to be the one to break the news to him.

Jack drove a now panicking Daniel to the hospital, with Sam and Teal'c in the back of the car. They arrived quickly, Daniel jumping out of the car before it had even stopped. He ran to the reception desk, getting told to wait until a doctor could talk to him. He impatiently insisted on seeing Janet, until a doctor approached him.

"Are you the father?" The doctor asked.

"Yes." Daniel replied.

"Come with me." She indicated for him to follow her through the doors that lead to the ward.

"How is she?" Daniel asked, the doctor turned to him, a serious look on her face that meant Daniel knew fine well what she was going to say.

"I'm afraid she lost the baby."

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to danjanshippyqueen